home
RSS
Bachmann reaches out to religious leaders in S.C.
Michele Bachmann is reaching out to religious leaders
August 17th, 2011

Bachmann reaches out to religious leaders in S.C.

By Peter Hamby, CNN

(CNN)–Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann will hold a meeting with pastors in Florence during her three-day visit to South Carolina.

The Thursday afternoon gathering with religious leaders, which is closed to reporters, is being organized by the Florence County Republican Party and the Florence County Tea Party, according to a copy of the invitation obtained by CNN.

That's not the only effort she's making to appeal to Christian conservatives during her trip to the state, which holds the first primary contest in the South.

Read the full story from CNN's Political Ticker
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Church • Michele Bachmann • Politics

1. Chukwuka Ahamefula

I'm a fifteen year old high school student and I can obviously see that this woman has problems. I am extremely concerned for my generation when they are being raised by parents who support such nonsense

August 20, 2011 at 12:26 am |
  2. Faith

American pseudo-christians or former evangelicals who slander Mrs. Bachmann are no good.

August 19, 2011 at 2:40 am |
    • AGuest9

How about atheists? This woman's lost her mind if she thinks that the president directly controls gas prices and that we will ever see $2/gallon gas ever again.

August 19, 2011 at 9:27 am |
    • SeanNJ

@AGuest9: Yep, oddly enough, it's the gasoline promise that's going to doom her candidacy. Of all the crazy sh!t she believes, and it's the $2 gas promise that makes people say, "Oh, that's impossible."

August 19, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  3. The Beagle

I'm a former evangelical. If you'd like my take on why Christian politicians like Michele Bachmann lie so much, check out my blog post at http://pathofthebeagle.com/2011/08/18/why-do-christian-politicians-lie/

August 18, 2011 at 11:02 pm |
  4. gary

Ayatollah Bachmann ... promises to give us $2 / gal gasoline ... what a loon. And she hears pretend voices in her head ... she's delusional. And she wants to run the USA .... what's happened to the USA that this vapid, uneducated god-nut gets so far?

August 18, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • C

Failed education and way too much television is what happened.

August 18, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  5. Doc Vestibule

The woman doesn't know the difference between John Wayne and John Wayne Gacey.
    The world will weep if she becomes president.

August 18, 2011 at 10:31 am |
  6. Faith

America needs the rule by the Christian Right to be normal again.

August 18, 2011 at 4:38 am |
    • herbert juarez

The Christian Right is WRONG!
      wrong for Christianity
      wrong for America
      wrong for what is right

August 18, 2011 at 6:05 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Like you? Yeah, you're 'normal', all right, Addled. So's poop.

August 18, 2011 at 9:24 am |
    • Haime52

I hope that was said tongue in check. Rule by the religious right, could become an intolerable tyranny. I am far more right, religiously, than most, in certain aspects I make them look down right liberal, and I fear the militant religious right. I also fear the militant liberal left.

August 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • Faith

Only the Christian Right can ensure the safety of everyone including the unborns. All others bring down the nation.

August 19, 2011 at 2:43 am |
    • AGuest9

The loony Right needs to go far, far away and never harm anyone else ever again. Mars isn't far enough away.

August 19, 2011 at 9:29 am |
    • AGuest9

Who should protect The Unwanteds? I'm already taxed for CPS, juvenile detention centers, parole officers, foster care, food stamps, tutors, remedial learning programs and prisons for them. They are a drag on the nation and on the economy.

But, here's an idea. Maybe we should develop a form of statis, remove the unwanted fetuses from the mothers and place them in artificial wombs in hibernation. They won't be aborted, but since they aren't wanted, they could just be warehoused. When we need an army – they will be wards of the state, after all – they can be raised as soldiers. They will fulfill a need in society that no one politically has the guts to address, and think of the reduction in prison size!

August 19, 2011 at 9:39 am |
    • Civiloutside

Don't worry about being taxed to support them. Remember that the religious right is tied to the party of no-tax-increases-under-any-circu.mstances. I think the proposed solution is "let them starve."

August 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  7. Bo

Another thing, Atheist, Because of Bible prophecy, I believe I may have more to be concerned with the Christian Right than you do. Put that in your pipe and smoke on it for a while.

August 17, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
    • Haime52

Amen! Little do they know!

August 18, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
  8. Bo

===============@Ahteist:===============You are right, "No good can come of this" (You see, we can agree on some things.) I believe and hope that the majoity of Christians are not happy with these overtures to the Dhristian Right.

August 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  9. Martin T

This makes me REALLY happy that I go the HECK out of South Carolina. Bachman is a trainwreck and will NEVER be elected POTUS. She is just trying to keep herself in the public eye for as long as she can. I know there are good women in the US who could run for the presidency, I just wish ONE would come forward and shut this nonsense DOWN!

August 17, 2011 at 9:57 pm |
    • AGuest9

Hillary already said that she isn't running.

August 18, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
  10. Faith

Yes, stand up and unify, American Christians. Reclaim your home planet.

August 17, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
    • Duh

America is a country not a planet moron.

August 18, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • AGuest9

As opposed to letting them have Neptune?

August 19, 2011 at 9:30 am |
  11. Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

People like her are the next best thing for democraps. Keep up the good work GOP.

August 17, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
    • Civiloutside

See, as an independent it really irks me that she has a real shot to be the GOP nominee. I could care less which team logo the President wears, but when your choices are between "more of the same," and "batshit loony," it pretty much ties your hands in the voting booth.

August 19, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  12. Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

IF she plays her cards right she might make $ like Palin. Palin was and never will be a contender and she knows it and is just using the buzz to make $.

August 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • William Demuth

She makes me long for 1968.

Our troubles are not going to get reconcilled with a slow motion civil war.

If we need to have one, next summer seems as good a time as any.

August 17, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  13. William Demuth

Thank God for abortion!

In fact I believe it should be covered by Medicare for all peoples of faith, but only if they are sterilized when it is done.

It is easier to let them kill their own!

August 17, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Tinisha B

wow it is better for people to kill their own children?? Congradulations you are encouraging people to go and get an abortion. Seriously you need help if you think killing any of god's children is okay. I completly disagree that this should be a part of medicare instead medicare should be for people like you that need serious mental issues. And thats said by a high schooler someone with more sense than you obviously.

September 13, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  14. Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

"making to appeal to Christian conservatives"
    --------
    And this is why people are leaving. Religion has nothing to do with politics or doing your job for The People. She might win a few backward states but she is not strong enough to win it. People see through the zealot aspect of her. People like her weaken the GOP and help the democraps win.

August 17, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  15. Blogger not a Bleever

I don't see a suggestion box around here, so Belief Blog editor please do a piece on this:

August 17, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • William Demuth

They will get to it, but Penn is a bit shaky in his terminology.

He is an Agnostic, but presents himself as an Athiest

August 17, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • Blogger not a Bleever

Depends on your definition of Atheist, hard/soft positive/negative.
      If "I see no reason to believe in god(s)," what does that make me?

August 17, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  16. Reality

M. Bachmann continues to waste her time and her donors' money:

To wit:

Why the Christian Right no longer matters in presidential elections:

Once again, all the conservative votes in the country "ain't" going to help a "pro-life" presidential candidate, i.e Rick Perry, Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman, Michele Bachmann, Tim Pawlenty, Herman Cain, Ron Paul or Rick Santorum, in 2012 as the "Immoral Majority" rules the country and will be doing so for awhile. The "Immoral Majority" you ask?

The fastest growing USA voting bloc: In 2008, the 70+ million "Roe vs. Wade mothers and fathers" of aborted womb-babies" whose ranks grow by two million per year i.e. 78+ million "IM" voters in 2012.

2008 Presidential popular vote results:

69,456,897 for pro-abortion/choice BO, 59,934,814 for "pro-life" JM.

And all because many women fail to take the Pill once a day or men fail to use a condom even though in most cases these men have them in their pockets. (maybe they should be called the "Stupid Majority"?)

(The failures of the widely used birth "control" methods i.e. the Pill and male condom have led to the large rate of abortions ( one million/yr) and S-TDs (19 million/yr) in the USA. Men and women must either recognize their responsibilities by using the Pill or condoms properly and/or use other safer birth control methods in order to reduce the epidemics of abortion and S-TDs.)

August 17, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • To wit:

Twit

August 17, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • William Demuth

Reality

You my sweet arte the soundest argument in favor of abortion I have ever come to know!

August 17, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  17. Republican Daily Candidate News

A spokesperson today said that candidate Michele Bachmann, having recently left her church behind, is converting to Islam.

Bachmann is also leaving her latent-gay, flaccid husband Marcuthhhhhhh so that she can be free to pursue musician Yousef Islam (Cat Stevens). Bachmann is guoted as saying "I've always liked his music. You know what they say about musical men and their trombones. I've been preparing diligently by practicing on a corndog..." and "As a Muslim and POuTUS, I could solve our terrorism problems once and for all. There's no way Al Kaida and his countrymen will attack a country with a Muslim leader. This will help me get elected in other ways too. In fact, it might be the only way I can get more than the teabagger vote and pull in anything from Obama's liberal base."

Yousef Islam (Stevens) was heard to say "No way, dude, no friggin way. That leathery old haggis wouldn't have made it as my groupie even when she was 20, no matter how good her oratory skills are."

August 17, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
  18. Atheist

No good can come of this.

August 17, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • J.W

That depends if the pastors are crazy ones like John Hagee

August 17, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

First they came for the liberals,
      and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a liberal.
      Then they came for the pagans,
      and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a pagan.
      Then they came for the Atheists,
      and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Atheist.
      Then they came for me
      and there was no one left to speak out for me.

August 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Ed

@ACTS You kep posting this, is there a reason? I haven't heard of any christian gruops rounding up any of the groups you mention or is the just your on gentle form of fear mongering?

August 17, 2011 at 4:42 pm |