home
RSS
Glenn Beck: Hurricane Irene is a 'blessing'
Glenn Beck appeared to be echoing Mormon doctrine on preparing for adversity.
August 27th, 2011

Glenn Beck: Hurricane Irene is a 'blessing'

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

Conservative radio host Glenn Beck told listeners Friday that Hurricane Irene, the Category 1 storm that’s working its deadly way up the Eastern Seaboard, is “a blessing from God.”

Beck has long urged his fans to stockpile food in their homes in anticipation of a global food disruption. He said Irene should be construed as a divine warning for those who have ignored that advice.

Here’s Beck on his show Friday:

How many warnings do you think you’re going to get, and how many warnings do you deserve? This hurricane that is coming thorough the East Coast, for anyone who’s in the East Coast and has been listening to me say ‘Food storage!’ ‘Be prepared!’

… If you’ve waited, this hurricane is a blessing. It is a blessing. It is God reminding you — as was the earthquake last week — it’s God reminding you you’re not in control. Things can happen. Be prepared and be someone who can help others so when disaster strikes, God forbid, you’re not panicking.

The Washington Post reports that in encouraging home stockpiling, Beck, a convert to Mormonism, is echoing Mormon church teaching. The church encourages members to build home storehouses of food that could last for at least three months.

According to a website run by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the official name of the Mormon church:

Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to “prepare every needful thing”… so that, should adversity come, we can care for ourselves and our neighbors and support bishops as they care for others.

The site includes a food storage calculator. To build a three-month supply of food for a family of four, the calculator recommends 300 pounds of “wheat, white rice, corn and other grains” and 60 pounds of “dry beans and other legumes.”

The Post notes that food storage is one pillar of the Mormon emphasis on self-reliance.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Mormonism

soundoff (3,354 Responses)
  1. JW

Why does God send such ignorant men to us to speak to us? Is it not possible to send someone really, really wise and understanding to us, and have us still comprehend? Must God use fools so we can understand things?

August 28, 2011 at 12:14 am |
    • Observer

Good point. Why do we need to hear from an ex-alcoholic college flunk-out rather than someone with more impressive credentials?

August 28, 2011 at 12:17 am |
    • JW

I guess it just means we are all just so horribly dumb that we can't comprehend it if it comes from the mouth of the wise and virtuous. Oh well. Speak, oh great Beck mouth, so we may follow your every command and worship you.

August 28, 2011 at 12:20 am |
    • Rationatron

A really wise man wouldn't subscribe to something so mindless as religion.

August 28, 2011 at 12:27 am |
  2. VegasRage

CNN quit reporting on this áss! He's done, finished, be over him.

August 28, 2011 at 12:13 am |
    • JW

Oh no, he is still big news for many, many people. They love giving him money to spout his racist hate and religious blindness.

August 28, 2011 at 12:15 am |
  3. Tina1649

Mother Nature bats last...that is just common sense. Beck is an idiot.

August 28, 2011 at 12:13 am |
  4. TheRationale

Somehow this idea is sustained without the assistance of mind-altering substances...

August 28, 2011 at 12:13 am |
  5. Reality

If there were a god, he/she/it and/or spirit would not tolerate the stupidity of Beck thereby proving there is no god. Ditto for all others who consider natural disasters as being the work of some god.

August 28, 2011 at 12:12 am |
    • Dave Davis

Yes, ther IS a God. I know 'cause He lives in my soul and the souls of others who love and obey Him(not some screwy televangelist). I have seen too many times the power of God in my own life. I don't believe that iit would be right for me or anyone else to force our will through coercion. NO one should ever try to force-feed Christianity on an un-believer. That isn't what the Lord Jesus had in mind with the Great Commission. Jesus doesn't expect us to drag anyone to the altar. In fact, just the exact opposite is true. Jesus said that if you "go into such a house or city and they receive you not, shake off the very dust of their city as a sign against them. It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah in the Day of Judgement than for them. I have lived long enough to know that, yes there is a God, and that yes, He is merciful. That is why He is tolerant of the foolish ranting of those who do not really know Him. God bless you, Sir. Have a good day.

August 28, 2011 at 12:32 am |
    • Mark from Canada

Dave – I question your evidence. What you have witnessed is not the power of God, but the power of natural agents of change. Natural selection, for example, is a process that has lead to the diversification of this planet. Atoms build up into molecules, the scale of the universe leads to emergent patterns – some of the physical nature that you see around us. All the things that you list as 'evidence' or 'witness' to the power of God are nothing more than your imagination stretching beyond all that can be explained by observable natural facts. Simply saying there IS a God with capital letters does not cut it. This is a time of reason and rational people expect more than simple pleading to a myth before we will trust and believe. Fortunately you are polite in the way you express yourself, but unfortunately your religion on a collective scale is leading to massive problems. It also makes stupid contagious, because if people can believe in a mythical God of any sort – they can believe anything – including Glen Beck.

August 28, 2011 at 1:41 am |
  6. Daws

Why doesn't he hole up in the bunker already? Do the world a favor...

August 28, 2011 at 12:12 am |
  7. tmac8213

Um, has anyone yet realized that Beck is a partner owner in a company that sells disaster kits and MRE's?

August 28, 2011 at 12:12 am |
    • Thomas

And a company that sells gold....which he insists is the ONLY currency that will be worth anything after his "apocalypse". The man is a 21st century snake oil salesman and a carpet bagger. I just hope the people who have lost family members in this storm sue him for deliberate emotional distress.

August 28, 2011 at 12:19 am |
  8. Davis Todd

No, Irene putting a 2×4 through this simp's head would be a blessing. That would be a great lesson to all the self-appointed mouthpieces of God.

August 28, 2011 at 12:11 am |
  9. evensteven

Caption for above picture:

"I once caught a fish THIS BIG"

August 28, 2011 at 12:11 am |
    • Observer

Beck has caught millions of fish.

August 28, 2011 at 12:12 am |
  10. dgkdgk

Dear Glenn Beck:

Set an example for your viewers. Go and hide in a bunker. Hide really well, now. And, don't come out until we give you the all-clear signal.

Sincerely,

Sane People Everywhere

August 28, 2011 at 12:10 am |
  11. JH

This is guy is the biggest idiot I can think of right now... those morons jumping off the pier into the hurricane waves in North Carolina have more sense than him. I just cannot say it enough.... I D I O T.

August 28, 2011 at 12:10 am |
    • Chase

Yeah, he's such an idiot for telling people to be prepared in case of a major natural disaster where food and water may not be available for days or weeks. "Blessing" might not be the right term, but WAKE UP CALL definitely is. Get your head out of your #$!#$

August 28, 2011 at 12:12 am |
    • dgkdgk

Hurricane Glenn. A disaster of epic proportion befallen upon America.

August 28, 2011 at 12:13 am |
    • Observer

Chase,

He's not being criticized for telling people to be prepared for a storm. You didn't read the story. Pay attention next time.

August 28, 2011 at 12:14 am |
    • dgkdgk

I, certainly, don't need Glenn Beck telling me how to prepare for a disaster. What's more vile than his proclamation, though, is that it's a thinly-veiled disguise of superiority over people he considers his flock, and he hides behind religion to line his pockets with money from the naive. He is a predator, plain and simple. An evil, disgusting, vile man.

August 28, 2011 at 12:15 am |
    • jdl

Yeah, being able to protect and care for my family is really idiotic. I plan on climbing on my roof and waiting for uncle sam to drop bottled water and rations from a chopper if anything happens. My grandparents tell the silliest stories about how people use to be responsible for their own well being.

Oh, and CNN never takes anything out of context.

August 28, 2011 at 12:25 am |
  12. Dave

We have so many of these ... The CRAZIES... f....a.....

August 28, 2011 at 12:09 am |
  13. Sam I Am

I know good conservatives. I know good Mormons. I know good, honest, educated, thoughtful people. Beck is none of those. And still, there are idiots who think the guy sits on the right hand of the Lord. Granted, devoutely religious people will believe just about anything, but come on, really, guys? REALLY?!?!? BECK!?!?! Just how gullible are you!?!?! Beck is a fat little, marginally stupid, self-abusing radio and TV station failure. If he lived next door to me, not only would I let my dog do his business on Beck's yard, I'd do my OWN business there too. It's the least I can do for all the excrement that's come out of him over the years.

August 28, 2011 at 12:09 am |
    • dgkdgk

Ha! Love it!

August 28, 2011 at 12:24 am |
  14. honestly, you need to grow up FAST

go f- yourself glenn

August 28, 2011 at 12:08 am |
  15. Kris

Glen beck...the next preacher everyone should ignore

August 28, 2011 at 12:08 am |
    • Chase

Great advice. Why don't your heed your own advice and NOT stock up food or water so when a real natural disaster hits your area you starve to death and we'll be rid of one more idiot.

August 28, 2011 at 12:14 am |
    • dgkdgk

Chase – Glenn Beck just said on the radio that you should send all your money to me. Thanks!

August 28, 2011 at 12:25 am |
  16. Thomas

I wonder how "blessed" the families of the eight people who have died SO FAR in this storm feel right about now?

August 28, 2011 at 12:07 am |
    • JW

He doesn't care about them. God rejected them when he killed them in Beck's view. They were of Satan.

August 28, 2011 at 12:08 am |
    • Dave Davis

True Christians(and other religeous peopl) everywhere feel the hurt of these who have lost loved ones. Let me tell you now, these things that happen are NOT from God. The Bible tells us that God is not the author of confusion. Fact is, things just happen. It is called LIFE. God bless America.

August 28, 2011 at 12:39 am |
    • Thomas

Dave - don't EVER post your kind of drivel on any of my comments again! EVER!!

August 28, 2011 at 1:50 am |
  17. gary Ohio

This buffoon actually makes over 3 million a year!?! Only in America....

August 28, 2011 at 12:07 am |
    • JW

Actually not only in America. Religion is big business throughout the world.

August 28, 2011 at 12:07 am |
    • dgkdgk

Blame the idiots on the right. And, specifically, south of the Mason-Dixon line and east of the Mississippi River.

August 28, 2011 at 12:09 am |
  18. Janine from TX

This guy is a complete A.hole!

August 28, 2011 at 12:06 am |
    • Dave Davis

dgkdgk. this post isn't intended for you, Miss Janine. It is the only way that I could speak at ol' dgkdgk. I just wanted to take time out of my busy day to say that if you intend to blame everything that happens on Southerners, you shouldn't stop at the Mississippi River. My Confederate ancestors were mostly from Arkansas. God love 'em. They were fine folks. Built a Nation, they did. Fact is, they built TWO of 'em. I am so proud of my ancestors. I hope you study your own family history someday and find that your people were actually ex-Confederates who went North during the Great Depression. Study your own back-ground. Things are not always as they seem.

August 28, 2011 at 12:49 am |
  19. MAPB in Austin

The sad thing is there are people who listen to him and will do exactly as he says. For him to label himself as a christian and warn the masses is taking advantage of people's ignorance and an opportunity to gain followers and sell books. What a f****n idiot.

August 28, 2011 at 12:06 am |
  20. JW

And God looked upon the Earth and saw how pathetic mankind had become, and sent Joseph Smith to save us. Unfortunately, his pedophilia and thievery became known, and he was killed by his fellow man in prison. So God sent Glen Beck some years later as a final chance to save man from his ignorance. And then JW came from Satan to oppose him, and the faithful withstood him.

August 28, 2011 at 12:05 am |
    • Thomas

Testify!!

August 28, 2011 at 12:08 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88
About this blog