home
RSS
Glenn Beck: Hurricane Irene is a 'blessing'
Glenn Beck appeared to be echoing Mormon doctrine on preparing for adversity.
August 27th, 2011

Glenn Beck: Hurricane Irene is a 'blessing'

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

Conservative radio host Glenn Beck told listeners Friday that Hurricane Irene, the Category 1 storm that’s working its deadly way up the Eastern Seaboard, is “a blessing from God.”

Beck has long urged his fans to stockpile food in their homes in anticipation of a global food disruption. He said Irene should be construed as a divine warning for those who have ignored that advice.

Here’s Beck on his show Friday:

How many warnings do you think you’re going to get, and how many warnings do you deserve? This hurricane that is coming thorough the East Coast, for anyone who’s in the East Coast and has been listening to me say ‘Food storage!’ ‘Be prepared!’

… If you’ve waited, this hurricane is a blessing. It is a blessing. It is God reminding you — as was the earthquake last week — it’s God reminding you you’re not in control. Things can happen. Be prepared and be someone who can help others so when disaster strikes, God forbid, you’re not panicking.

The Washington Post reports that in encouraging home stockpiling, Beck, a convert to Mormonism, is echoing Mormon church teaching. The church encourages members to build home storehouses of food that could last for at least three months.

According to a website run by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the official name of the Mormon church:

Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to “prepare every needful thing”… so that, should adversity come, we can care for ourselves and our neighbors and support bishops as they care for others.

The site includes a food storage calculator. To build a three-month supply of food for a family of four, the calculator recommends 300 pounds of “wheat, white rice, corn and other grains” and 60 pounds of “dry beans and other legumes.”

The Post notes that food storage is one pillar of the Mormon emphasis on self-reliance.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Mormonism

soundoff (3,354 Responses)
  1. Punkass

Im pretty sure all you liberals commenting on Beck have lost your minds. But feel free to just hate, act ignorant and post comments that make you look pathetic and stupid. Liberal lemmings.....so glad you all read this article but didnt understand the context. You were all just looking for an outlet to spew anger and hate against Beck....classy...real classy. This is why your prophet will lose in 2012.

August 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • JustWantedToPointOut

And so you do exactly what you are criticizing others for? You are spewing just as much hate by name calling and sarcastically using "classy" and "prophet".

August 29, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • ochea

ooo yeaaa

August 29, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  2. cf

Statements like this from the likes of Beck and his cohort Michelle Bachmann are why I will never, ever ever be a Christian or a Republican.

August 29, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • Trust me, they're not all like that...

Bachman uses Christianity to win points, I doubt she'd really be considered a "leader of the faith". Beck's a Mormon, and Mormons are NOT Christian, even if they claim to be.

August 29, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • Trust me, they're not all like that...

As for being a Republican... I couldn't really argue with you there, I'm an Independent , 😛

August 29, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Punkass

@ cf – Sooooo Beck states you should be prepared in case of an emergancy and that is why you will never follow republicans or christians? Wow, good luck with your asinine bias. I dont agree with Beck on a lot of things but there is nothing wrong with being prepared for an emergancy. If you think otherwise, then you are quite clearly in the running for a darwin award.

August 29, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Trust me, they're not all like that...

@Punk No, I think the problem he takes is with Beck's looney assertions that God is telling people to stock pile for the end times. Has the guy even read the Bible?

16And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. 17He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’

18“Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’

20“But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

21“This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God.”

Luke 12:16-21 (NIV). Sounds to me like God is saying we should all rush to the aid of those who are affected by the Hurricane, not selfishly storing up for ourselves. How's Beck holding up there?

Then again, he's a Mormon, so who knows WHAT he believes?

August 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • PaulieJ

Hey Punk, you mean act ignorant like Beck himself? Because I'm pretty sure the friends and families of the 24 (to this point) who have perished due to this storm really don't see Irene as a blessing in any sense of the word. But, you're welcome to support this whacko all you like.

August 29, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  3. Slumberjack

It's apparently escapes the idiot Beck, as it likewise escapes the lunatic fringe of the far right, that over 45 million Americans live hand to mouth on food stamps, and thus do not have the resources to stockpile anything for emergencies, because they happen to have the misfortune of living in this anarco-capitalist heaven called the USSA.

August 29, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
    • Punkass

I guess it escapes you that even on foodstamps you can stockpile, just like saving money...a little bit at a time moron. Besides, 45 million is a small number compared to the total population on the East Coast, and I doubt all 45 million reside between Florida and Maine. What the hell is wrong with you people? Because of your ridiculous hate for the right you are actually saying that it is NOT a good idea to prepare for an emergancy?!?! You;ve got some serious issues.

August 29, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  4. Debbie

Those that died, and those that did sensible preparation ahead of time and yet lost everything–do you think they feel "blessed"?
    I think it's time to quit thanking God for natural disasters. But I'm sure Mr. Beck is loving the media attention.

August 29, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
  5. Dan

If Hurricane Irene is a 'blessing', Glen Beck is a gene defect.

August 29, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • Gerry

How is this guy still on the air. How can he say such Dumb Sh!t and get away with it? This isn't a creation of god. Science already knows how Hurricanes are formed. As well as Earthquakes. This guy really needs to get a clue.

August 29, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
  6. Chris

If you think Glen Beck is right saying that 22 people dead is a "blessing" then you are just as messed up in the head as he is. Cannot stand you narrow minded "conversatives", are nothing more than just selfish human beings, the complete opposite of what Jesus Christ is.

August 29, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  7. Mike

360lbs of dried food and....no running water. Oooops.

August 29, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  8. trine

What a pile of nonsense. How can an educated person listen to this? This is America. Talk about god and everybody is stepping back. There is no God. There are only clerics try to get your money and your children scared. Beck should try this speech with a dog and see successful god is. Perhaps the dog will answer.

August 29, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • Mike

That's exactly the way I feel about global warming. A bunch of charlatan preachers like Al Gore shaking people down for money by preaching fear then going back to their 14 million dollar estate, gas guzzling limos, private jets, and big steak dinners while telling the rest of us those things are bad.

August 29, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
  9. Tim

Glenn Beck is right. Who the hell wants to be in the position of sitting around waiting for government assistance in the event of an emergency. Visions of Katrina and the super dome come to mind. So is the message that people should be well prepared a bad thing that someone should be denounced for? It just shows how absolutely deranged the left has become.

August 29, 2011 at 11:54 am |
    • General Sherman

"Who the hell wants to be in the position of sitting around waiting for government assistance in the event of an emergency" Derr, people who enjoy living in a modern society? People who don't want to live in a country that resembles Somalia?

August 29, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • teedofftaxpayer

What would youj expect if you were in Katrina and had a Republican drunk president?

August 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
  10. steeve-o

I wanna hit this Glenn Beck guy upside the head with a glass bottle of maple syrup.

August 29, 2011 at 11:08 am |
  11. Charlie

He's winning,

August 29, 2011 at 10:55 am |
  12. General Sherman = HERO

If you Southern teabaggers don't stop running your mouths we'll come down there and finish the job we should have 150 years ago.

August 29, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • AndyB

Prejudiced much? keep it to yourself.

August 29, 2011 at 11:13 am |
  13. Jennifer

Although Mr. Beck is a Mormon and the LDS Church does encourage not only their members but everyone to be prepared with provisions and emergency needed items in case of disasters, I did not see anything in the above article that Mr. Beck was preaching anything from the LDS Church directly or anyother religious organization for that matter. What he suggests is really common sense. It seems to me that the Washington Post was not clear in what they were trying to get accross. Was Mr. Beck, spouting off LDS guidelines indicating it was LDS guidelines? Was the Post agreeing or not agreeing with what he was suggesting to do?. I think they actually were, or else why put out there the LDS Church's information, where all can retreive the information Mr. Beck was talking about. Now if FEMA came out with the same information about stockpiling food and water, oh that's right they have, would there be any question of right or wrong to what they said? I think not, but since it came from a person who happens to be a member of the LDS Church, it is wrong? I don't think any disaster is a blessing, they are dangerous,distructive and take lives. But I do however think one has the right to encourage others to prepare for their safety, and has the right of free speach without getting critized for his religion. And if this church does preach prepardness, is it really a bad thing? If you don't like Mr. Beck for his personal stance on isuses, that is one thing, but don't bring religion into it, attack the man for his views, not his church. I for one do have emerency supplies, as did my family when I was growing up, and would share with my neighbors if needed in times of emergency. So if Mr. Beck's house runs out or food doing a truckers strike or the likes, please feel free to come to ours.

August 29, 2011 at 10:22 am |
    • frespech

Could not agree more. I have not much affection for Mr.Beck but in this case I don't see much to critisize him about.

August 29, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
  14. CommonSense

Why are we still discussing this lunatic on major news outlets ...?

August 29, 2011 at 10:12 am |
  15. JEM

Mr Beck, I bet you were alot more fun when you were a drunk.

August 29, 2011 at 10:04 am |
    • Beatles Fan

Frankly, after watching a few minutes of Beck's show, it seems fairly obvious to me that he's on something. I don't mean that facetiously.

August 29, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  16. Reality

From p. 72-

If there were a god, he/she/it and/or spirit would not tolerate the stupidity of Beck thereby proving there is no god.

August 29, 2011 at 8:50 am |
    • Bill Word

This jack ass racist pig is from Bellingham, WA, just up I5 from here in Seattle where I am. A real blessing would have been if he disappeared in the storm

August 29, 2011 at 9:45 am |
  17. Lindy

Since they have stockpiles of 3 months supply of food, one knows where to go to get supplies if they run out. We'll all storm Beck's place.

August 29, 2011 at 8:44 am |
  18. Dave Munson

I would just like to say, as a Mormon, that while the church does advocate food storage, I doubt that anyone in church leadership would go so far as to say that Hurricane Irene was a blessing. I do this often, but I would like to remind everyone that although Beck is a member of the Mormon church, he does not speak for it, and personally, I consider him an embarrassment.

August 29, 2011 at 8:22 am |
    • jim

Why do you need "leaders" at your church? Is critical thinking a sin or something? Do you need other people to decide what is good, bad, or indifferent for you? That is a very lazy way to live.

August 29, 2011 at 9:47 am |
    • AndyB

Thanks, Dave.
      Jim, stop being a jerk.

August 29, 2011 at 11:22 am |
  19. the end is not near, but be afraid, be very afraid.

pastor beck, i thought you were in israel preparing for the rapture? when are the french fry riots going to start, bro? we is waiting for the cali fat. we got six months supply of jeesuz juice, ammo., and pizza pockets - just like you said. you all stop by now.

August 29, 2011 at 5:44 am |
  20. Xenia

Mr. Beck is a good American and he must be right. America's immorality makes everyone thinks that calamities upon America is a blessing to America. Secular Americans should get that point. They are too slow, as usual. Calamities hit everywhere as our planet is a fallen world yet mankind destroyed it too much and the time is running out.

August 29, 2011 at 2:36 am |
    • Max

Beck is an idiot monkey courting attention at any cost, he will sell the US to Israel if that advances his agenda or pay check, he is typical white trash mooother foooker!!

August 29, 2011 at 7:07 am |
    • scorpdude

Please. Mr. Beck is only looking out for himself and his interests, the least of which is anyone thinking and acting in the secular theater. Any intelligent American knows that the founding fathers were dedicated to ensuring that the practices of the time were to be protected against by not endorsing a government directed nor sponsored "state" religion, which Mr. Beck and his ilk would move to change. I worry more about those with strong ties to religion or unable to think for themselves (as is the case in point for many of the GOP candidates) getting in position of power, or in the case of Mr. Beck, having access to a media that is all too willing to get him in front of a camera or into the news stream for no good reason whatsoever other than to advance that agenda.

August 29, 2011 at 7:56 am |
    • Xenia is a closeted West-Lover

What exactly is a "good American?" You might also want to research something called "grammar." That last sentence could be better constructed by a second grader. You're either a) stupid, so your points are invalid or b) a foreigner, and by the looks of it one who has absolutely no clue what America is really like, especially "secularist" Americans. Either way, nobody here is taking you seriously.

August 29, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88
About this blog