home
RSS
My Faithlessness: The atheist way through AA
Six of AA's 12 steps explicitly refer to God, a Higher Power, or He.
August 28th, 2011

My Faithlessness: The atheist way through AA

By Marya Hornbacher, Special to CNN

I blinked.

But I don’t believe in God.

I told them I believed in math. Chaos, I said. Infinity. That sort of thing.

They looked at me in despair.

And I find that not only fascinating but wondrous, awe-inspiring and humbling.

That keeps me sober. Amen.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Marya Hornbacher.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief

soundoff (3,939 Responses)
  1. Red Bull

I used to believe in Jesus, that was until one fateful cold January morning. I had just prayed to Jebus the night before that my abusive step mother would pack me a PB&J sandwich for lunch. Turns out she spited me by giving me a peanut butter sandwich. How dare she not heed the word of master Jebus and neglect my jelly. Ever since I've been on a mission to spread the word about how the great one short changes the needy. it was like 20 cents worth of jelly! C'mon now! I also sell urinals with pictures of your mothers on the cross laser etched in the porcelain for 229.95 plus shipping. look for me at selling door to door in an area near you shortly

August 28, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Red Bull

I can print mohammed sitting in a Bob Evan's booth with gravy on his shirt on those urinals as well, but that runs 319.99 special order only.

August 28, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  2. Sean

I know that after a tornado leveled my home in Alabama, an evangelistic group came through and was talking to the traumatized survivors about JC and his gang. Some people went with it, because they had been softened by the horror of the storm, but later felt silly about thanking a Whomever who, if it were real, just destroyed their houses! AA is the same way - take a traumatized group and throw "God" in there, make them lap up the nonsense. Christ is a joke and Christians are morons.

August 28, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
    • Joseph Mzrnski

do you have the guts to say that about muslims or jews?

didn't think so atheist coward swine

August 28, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • lisa

Well that's awfully atheist of you!

August 28, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • what

@Joseph ...swine? Seriously? lol

August 28, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  3. William S

There are many atheist meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous worldwide. Unfortunately, no one attends them. It's a God thing.

August 28, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  4. ChristyinKansas

Well said.

August 28, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  5. God

I am perplexed. As the creator of the universe you'd think that I would be upset by people who don't believe in me. But I'm not. What does bother me, however, is watching my followers confuse non-belief with hate. As I look around, atheists are not hateful. In fact, many are quite the contrary. But I see so many of my followers and believers getting agitated with those who do not believe and hurling the term "hate" very freely. There is just no call for that, Christians. Atheists do not believe in me but that does not mean they harbor any hatred toward Christianity, Islam, or any other deity-based belief system. They simply don't believe. Nothing more and nothing less. Atheists are persons looking for concrete proof of my existence. And the moment you or I prove my existence with verifiable and repeatable evidence, we will vanquish atheism forever. But until you or I actually provide such evidence, there will always be atheists.

August 28, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • N. Naik

CNN needs to add ROFL emoticons. Anyway, Thank you God!!!

August 28, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • lisa

Dear God, you must not be reading some of the nasty remarks by atheists on this blog. Too bad the miracle of life and death itself isn't enough "proof" for some people.

August 28, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • mcore

@lisa – the "miracle" of life? I thought a miracle was something that defied natural explanation. There is nothing miraculous about birth. Pick up a simple biology textbook and read the part on human reproduction. You'll see it's a VERY well understood phenomena – which happens thousands of times every single day. And death is even less of a mystery. Our bodies eventually wear out and stop working. End of explanation.

August 28, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
    • Red Bull

Dear god, i sure could go for a PB&J sandwich.

Oh btw strawberry jelly please. and no crust

THANKS BUD!

August 28, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • God

Alas, Lisa, life and death are not conclusive proof of my existence. That's just biology at work and scientists have figured that one out fully. But appreciate your sentiment. I love you deeply even if I'm not always evident to you.

August 28, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
    • God

Red Bull – you're about to be greatly surprised. My pal, Roy (aka, the Tooth Fairy), is going to be in your neighborhood tonight. Be sure to check under your pillow in the morning.

August 28, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  6. lisa

I'm glad the author is sober by whatever means but I think she's being a bit cavalier and disrespectful to the AA folks.

August 28, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  7. William

So sorry for you you.. no wonder you tried to find truth in a bottle..

August 28, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
    • what

Sorrier for you, since you have to come along and be patronizing to show how enlightened you are.

August 28, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  8. N. Naik

Hmmm....Because the word "atheist" is in article, and for that matter even if the word "God" was in article, this would've turned in to a battlefield regardless. But I believe the author was saying something else than "God" worked for her. That's all. At the end of the day, whatever works for you is right for you. If belief in God works for you, keep you sane and peaceful, then belief in God is right. God is right or not if different story but your belief in God is just right!!! Likewise for atheists like the author!!

August 28, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  9. anntique

The laws of physics work great as a HP. E=mc squared, gravity, and all that worked for me.

August 28, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  10. Science

I stopped doing heroine with no religion and no 12 step program. Its called discipline and willpower.

August 28, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
    • N. Naik

True, but not everyone have what you have, even your siblings, and so if they use other methods then it is all good!

August 28, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • nicoleandmaggie

I hope she found someone better!

August 28, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
  11. On my knees for God's pleasure

Apparently Jesus" blood was made of wine, and he wants you to drink it. Count it as a libation to a deity.

August 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  12. Rob

Congratulations Mayra! Its not easy to be either of the things you are. I wish you the best.

August 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  13. RonRon

There is no purpose for your accidental existence. There is no such thing as being remembered, just like your grandfather's grandfather's, no one remembers his name, and neither will anyone remember you. Your future can only look forward to one thing, death and you and your consciousness gone.

The tooth fairy is not real but you find the tradition endearing. You giggle when people read their horoscope. When somone says God you suddenly all get twisted and feel to tell everyone the ridiculousness of the thought.

With that kind of outlook, do yourself a favor and go back to drinking.

August 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  14. Steven J. Schultz

I find it disturbing that CNN does not seem to take issue with other nations with predominately Muslim populations that incorporate religion into nearly every aspect of everyone's daily lives. In fact, many of CNN's reporters walk on eggshells as to not offend such "diverse" cultures. However, there definitely appears to be a double standard in place when it comes to those people whose cultures are based upon the principles of Christianity.

Why is it that Christians are continually singled out in negative editorials on CNN's website by pseudo-intellectuals who have a true bias against those who have found a lasting, authentic peace with the Lord, Jesus Christ? The intention of the author is clear when she mocks Christians by stating, "That keeps me sober. Amen."

Would this article exist at all if A.A. were hypothetically a Muslim-based organization operating in the heart of NYC?

August 28, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • what

Because last I checked, Christians have plenty of extremists too, but not one of them is willing to strap on a bomb and visit CNN's headquarters.

August 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
    • Frank

Sounds like you have an issue with Muslims. It's off to Islamoholics Anonymous for you, bub.

August 28, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
    • Jesus is God

So, so true. Thank you for pointing it out.

August 28, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Bill

Do you frequent CNNs opinionated articles? If you did, you probably would retract your comment. They have literally had articles to appease/offend people from all backgrounds. If you're looking for a news outlet that only caters to Christianity, try FoxNews. I honestly wish respectable companies would stop giving soap boxes to people to spew out their fairy tales about "Gods" and "Prophets" who have zero proof of existence. But, I simply don't have to click on the article. You should try doing the same.

August 28, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Jane

"I find it disturbing that CNN does not seem to take issue with other nations with predominately Muslim populations..."

Last time I checked, CNN was an American company, this edition is for Americans, and Americans – you know, the audience here – are predominantly Christian, and AA does not typically push Allah... Matters related to Islam are of primary interest to Muslims, while matters related to Christianity are of primary interest to ... ? Now, I don't expect logic to be a strong suit of Christians, but come on, you graduated elementary school, did you not?

August 28, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
    • Tiffany

We're talking about the US. In the US we are supposed to be guaranteed separation of church and state. Unfortunately, separation is not the reality. Non-Christians are beaten over the head – constantly – by Christianity. It's probably something that washes over you and goes unnoticed if you are, yourself, a Christian. I am an Athiest. If you want to talk about double standards you should have the clarity to walk in my shoes. You'd be appalled by the way the government forces Christianity onto Americans.

August 28, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  15. b4big bang

"For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty." Simon Peter the Apostle

This would hold up in court, and is one of several reasons that i can believe with confidence.

August 28, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
    • sam

Hold up in court for what? Are you planning something we should know about?

August 28, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • Inglourious

God would answer a subpoena to appear in court?

August 28, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • sam

@ Inglourious
      I swear, that was one of the Oh God films with George Burns, wasn't it?

August 28, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • Jane

Why is this Simon person being taken to court? Did he molest a kid?

August 28, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  16. bobsaget

stupid Atheist... just stfu no one cares about your nonsense.

August 28, 2011 at 7:59 pm |
    • The Olsen Twins

omg Bob that is so wrong!!!

August 28, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • God

C'mon, Bobby, you know better than to carry on like that. There's no call for kind of behavior here. But I still love you – potty mouth and all.

August 28, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  17. koga

Anyone who believes in god is stupid. period.

August 28, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
    • Steven J. Schultz

So, anything that you cannot understand or agree with is "stupid?" Try being more considerate of the feelings of others for a change.

August 28, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • what

That's the best trolling you can come up with? n00b

August 28, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
    • Jane

Oh, I am sure OP understands gods, or rather, why we created them. It doesn't take a genius to do so. It's rather easy, really, if you are not afraid to use your brain.

August 28, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  18. Megan

Too bad for the Atheists....the 12 Steps are completely based on CHRISTIAN values and doctrines....they use Higher Power rather than "Jesus".....the majority of non-believing 12 steppers eventually come to find out that there IS indeed a God and HE is the ONLY way to manage addiction!

August 28, 2011 at 7:55 pm |
    • *frank*

Wrong. Go away.

August 28, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
    • LOLcat

You Megan, need to read a book.

August 28, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
    • God

Oh no, Megan. There's nothing "too bad" for the Atheists at all. Millions have kicked addiction without my help. Persons suffering from personal challenges can go it alone, ask for my help, or take some other approach. It really doesn't matter. All we want is for persons suffering to kick their demons.

August 28, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • tl123

Megan, you might want to read up on the history of AA. While the program is based upon the Oxford group's program, Bill W, Dr. Bob and the 100 decided to remove the direct references to Christianity. This allows the program to be utilized worldwide but many non-Christians!!!

August 28, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  19. William Saunders

I do not know where Ms Hornbacher is located, but in Rochester, NY there is an organization called SOS (Secular Organization for Sobriety) that requires no belief in a higher power. Information on it can be obtained through the First Unitarian Church. Perhaps there are such organizations in other cities.

August 28, 2011 at 7:55 pm |
    • SomewhatSkeptical

There is a "Secular Organization for Sobriety," apparently run by a Unitarian Church? Am I the only one who is skeptical about the ulterior motives of this particular church?

On a similar note, I would like to inform everyone of a Christian Revivalist Camp being held later this week by the Atheist Alliance International. Come and worship!

August 28, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  20. luis

I decided to take a god into my life.....behold the Emperor of Mankind (Warhammer 40K) He rocks! Not only is he the ultimate humanist but also he hates all other gods and doesn't consider himself one. He cares about the advancement of humanity into the stars to claim our birthright to inhabit the galaxy. Now that sound cool.

August 28, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • Jeff

I too have taken the Emperor of Man into my life.

Keep vigilant for Xenos, and heretics of all kinds Luis! Purge the witches! "A small mind is a tidy mind"

August 28, 2011 at 8:08 pm |