home
RSS
My Faithlessness: The atheist way through AA
Six of AA's 12 steps explicitly refer to God, a Higher Power, or He.
August 28th, 2011

My Faithlessness: The atheist way through AA

By Marya Hornbacher, Special to CNN

I blinked.

But I don’t believe in God.

I told them I believed in math. Chaos, I said. Infinity. That sort of thing.

They looked at me in despair.

And I find that not only fascinating but wondrous, awe-inspiring and humbling.

That keeps me sober. Amen.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Marya Hornbacher.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief

soundoff (3,939 Responses)
  1. Richard

I am sober for 23 years, proud of that accomplishment, and I believe in myself!

August 29, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • John 3:59 PM

Way to go Richard!

August 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  2. Bill

Amen, Marya. No pun intended.

August 29, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  3. I used to know Bill W.

I swear to God, Nameless Face's post wasn't there when I typed that bit about it being a matter of time before you fail under my system, but that attotidue is exactly what I'm talking about. Why is it that rationalists with chemical dependency issues are given this either or thing with AA. I used to think AA was, at most, a harmless crutch, but I'm not so sure. I am almost certina that people are driven away by the false equivalence. Twelve tradtions notwithstanding, a lot of money is made at recovery centers (some with patients there by court order) that push AA

August 29, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • SurRy

Courts in some jurisdictions (should be all jurisdictions) not permitted to order AA due to government endorsement of religion.

August 29, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  4. Renee McIntyre

Interesting opinions by the author–a member of AA is governed not only by the steps but also by the traditions and she is in violation of at least two: Tradtion #6 An A.A. group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the A.A. name to any
    related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property, and
    prestige divert us from our primary purpose.Tradition #11 Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we
    need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and
    films.

August 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • Steve Vogel

This is not a violation of the 6th tradition. AA did not endorse, finance or lend it's name to the author, CNN or this article. The 11th tradition is debatable. Anonymity serves its purpose for those fearful of public reprisal;however, for those that can take the harm that comes with being open. The main reason for anonymity is to protect AA as a whole from the humiliation that would come from a public advocate that relapsed. Seeing one failure, or even a few, there are those that would condemn AA in its entirety.

August 29, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  5. Bryan

Anonymity is only the 'spiritual' foundation...no big deal. Oh, wait. You don't have to follow those rules because you're an atheist. I see. Well, then it means you're not really a member of AA, right? I mean..you are because you have a "desire to stop drinking"....but you don't have to respect the program as a whole. So, why AA then? If you don't want to do the AA program, why are you in it? There are other groups. Ahhh....I see. You're different. You can change AA to suit YOU, rather than change yourself to fit into AA. Cool. The thing about not following the traditions, especially the one that states it is the "spiritual foundation", is that you're really not in AA at that point. Right? You know what I mean if you've been around 'the rooms' at all. Oh, you can say you're a member...tons do. But an AA is one who takes the steps and follows the traditions. Please discontinue making profit off what AA has given you. It's sick behavior. Breaking your anonymity will only bring guilt, shame, and remorse...eventually. Which will lead to other things. Remember, after the part about "anonymity is the spiritual foundation".....is the part about "principles before personalities."

August 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  6. Glades2

I started the ACOA 12-step program twice, and know from experience that a person cannot overcome those problems without God's constant help...

August 29, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • John 3:59 PM

Yet the article is about someone who was able to do it without. It can be done!

Good without God

August 29, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Mark

I guess after reading today's article your experience is broadened and you now know that it is possible.

August 29, 2011 at 7:35 pm |
  7. BostonBeebs81

Hmmm... you do have a higher power. That higher power is right there in the conclusion of your essay. You believe in the biology of life. That very science which is so perfectly harmonized that it created 'you. and in which makes you realize and understand how small and fragile and lucky you are. That is EASILY a 'higher power'. I've never once been told I had to believe in Jesus Christ or God as a catholic lays it out. You might be going to the wrong meetings. Congratulations on being and staying sober!

August 29, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  8. tradition

no one else sees this as breaking several traditions?

August 29, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Greg Lore

Thank you.

August 29, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Renee McIntyre

yes, at least two!

August 29, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Renee McIntyre

and this is a screen name

August 29, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  9. Greg Lore

Let me get this right.Marya somebody is claiming to be a member of Alcoholics Anonymous,and then put her name on the cover of a book.Her name,picture are all over the news.Yeah,she`s real anonymous.She has one up Jane Valez-Mitchell.It`s going to give A.A. a black eye when she gets drunk.

August 29, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  10. Just me

I like cheese

August 29, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  11. Kit Kat

Nameless Face

You are wrong, that is not what AA is about and her higher power is within. Get off your bias bike & respect all beliefs

August 29, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  12. I used to know Bill W.

In additon to the six steps that mention God, a higher power, or he (steps 2,3,5,6,7, and 11), another refers to a spritual awakening (12) and the second of twleve traditions says the "only authority" is a "loving God." This raises the obvious question, if you can't cozy up with six (or seven) out of twleve steps, are you really "doing" AA? I am not asking whether you're sober; rather, are you sober because of "AA"? I'm guessing you've found something helpful in the meetings, the comraderie, the support, or perhaps the introspection that often, but not always, comes from "doing the steps," but is this, quote capital A capital A endquote? If so, how many steps can you set aside before it's no longer AA?

What if I told you I had a cure for alcohol dependency. First, dry out. Second, don't drink anymore. Third, try to evlaluate why you drink and address those issues. Fourth, if you're feeling tempted to drink, talk to a friend who's been where you are. Fifth, bury a penny in your yard every day. Here's the catch, if you do all of these things and succeed, it's because you faithfully followed the plan–it really works, see. If you skip some steps and succeed, well then it's only a matter of time till you fail. Finally, if you fail, it's necessarilry because you didn't do all of the steps–see Step 2. This is what AA sounds like, not just to the atheist, but to anyone who doesn't believe in a micromanaging, hands-on, providential God.

August 29, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  13. Kit Kat

Marya, I found your thoughts very interesting, and I am still agnostic, but I'm sure after I finish all my Dawkins books I may be Athiest. Well written and I admire your take on the AA – by the way whatever nbr of yrs on the wagon, Happy Anniversary

August 29, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • SurRy

"I'm agnostic not because I don't know if there is a God but because I don't care." John Fugelsang.

August 29, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  14. Tyler Durden

The first rule of AA is you do not talk about AA.

The second rule of AA.....

August 29, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  15. Nameless Face

Marya,

I'm glad you're sober (for now). Unfortunately, chances are pretty good that you will fail in your endeavor to remain sober. I'm not being mean, just stating a cold, hard fact.

Fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter whether or not you don't believe in a higher power. One exists. If you are a using addict, then your higher power is the object to which you are addicted. I'm sure you know it will have you on your knees like any other god is worshipped.

Until you recognize the need to surrender your addiction, you'll never begin to heal.

That's what the higher power in the 12-step program is all about.

Good luck.

August 29, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Underestimated_One

Well said...... I'm not a recovering addict, but point well taken

August 29, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  16. EnergyBeing3

Self Empowerment is a difficult process. The teachings of Carolyn Myss about the Archetypal Patterns all humans share (The Wounded Child, the Victim, the Saboteur... there are many) can greatly open a persons eyes to the behaviors that lead to unbalance and chemical use. Carl Jung also is a great resource for learning about the Acrchetypes we share. Carolyn Myss presents it in a much more understandable way with a touch of the spiritual aspect, but not pushing Christianity.

August 29, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  17. Steve B

The thing about AA is this: If you work the steps a different way than someone else does(but you are actually WORKING THE STEPS)and it works out for you, then great. That's experience you can share with the next suffering alcoholic. But working the steps your own special way and claiming that it's still AA can be problematic. I'm still struggling with God stuff in AA here and there, but if I can't find some spiritual connection at certain times I do what was suggested to me early on: work with another alcoholic. On my most godless or atheistic days I still rely on those around me who are fighting the same fight to help keep me sane. Any conception of God I've found today (and it is often changing) has developed directly as a result of working with others in the program. "Each day, somewhere in the world, recovery begins when one alcoholic talks with another alcoholic, sharing experience, strength, and hope."

August 29, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  18. Lucky

Is THAT the problem–that believers think that we think we're the biggest thing in the universe??

Oh, my–I can think of few more-mistaken ideas. Yes, I'm special to my mom but, aside from that, I'm nothing, and I'm OK with that.

It's also not true that atheists have "no invisible means of support". Most of us believe in something–hope, family, basic humanity, that good things come to people who work hard and behave ethically–even if it's not a supernatural being.

August 29, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  19. thefungus

Religion has inexplicably twisted and tangled itself into every aspect of our human lives. And that has made all the difference.

August 29, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • MikeDierickx

Yeah, Protestantism pretty much 'inexplicably' 'tangled' itself up in AA. The same way Catholicism 'inexplicably' 'tangled' itself into hospitals.

Come on man, I'm an Atheist too, but let's get the facts. AA was STARTED by PROTESTANTS. Gosh!

August 29, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  20. Just me

Oh, I also love it when a christian uses the bible to prove the existence of god. It's kind of like using the superman comic to prove the existence of Jor-El.

August 29, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • JT

It's like, if you believe fairies cause rain then everytime it rains is proof of fairies.

August 29, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • John 3:59 PM

I've studied the Bible with David 3:14 AM. There are plenty of flaws in the bible such as the value of Pi – Additionally Ezekiel is totally flawed.

August 29, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Lex Luthor

Just me, you are awesome! well said.

August 29, 2011 at 3:31 pm |