home
RSS
My Faithlessness: The atheist way through AA
Six of AA's 12 steps explicitly refer to God, a Higher Power, or He.
August 28th, 2011

My Faithlessness: The atheist way through AA

By Marya Hornbacher, Special to CNN

I blinked.

But I don’t believe in God.

I told them I believed in math. Chaos, I said. Infinity. That sort of thing.

They looked at me in despair.

And I find that not only fascinating but wondrous, awe-inspiring and humbling.

That keeps me sober. Amen.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Marya Hornbacher.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief

soundoff (3,939 Responses)
  1. PCGeek

Why must there be so many damn trolls on these sites – does the atheist v theist debate never evolve past name calling and straw-man arguments....?

Seriously people...try a google search and rsearch a bit before you make your arguments – all of us (myself included) could stand to do a bit more reading and a bit less talking.

A good site dealing with much of this crap – http://www.tektonics.org/

August 29, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
    • SDFrankie

Hey! You shouldn't be posting here. I should be posting here.

August 29, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
  2. Physicist

I love how people use science to justify their disbelief in God. I am a quantum physicist, and have been for years. I was drafted into the Church as a child by my parents, but mind you, I didn't confirm my faith until my last year in graduate school. People always say science makes more sense, that believing what you can't see makes no sense. If most of you Atheists actually did your research, you would know that the foundation of evolution is based on assumptions, and that there's no proof of the 'start' of the process. Even Einstein hated it when atheists of his time called him one of them. During my graduate studies, I did a research one summer of dark matter, I have never doubted the existence of a Supreme Being since. I can't force you to believe in what you don't see, but please quit using science as your reason. Most of us actual scientists hate that, and some of us believe that God is the ultimate scientist.

August 29, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
    • god is imaginary

Man created god from his own imagination

August 29, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
    • Nonimus

@Physicist,
      I would say that most appeals to science are in response to oft asked questions by Theists in the form of, 'well, if you don't believe in God how do you explain X?'

Atheism doesn't require much science, but does require logic. Science just helps weed out the pseudo-science woo woo stuff that gets thrown into the mix, such as the whole telepathy by quantum entanglement bs. It also helps weed out false premises.

In logic though, the claim must be supported by evidence. If you have no way to tell if a premise is true you can't tell if the conclusion is true either.

August 29, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
    • Gavin Ford

You and your kind still need to provide some evidence or proof. You have still not done this.

August 29, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • jparks

Bravo. Excellent

August 29, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • SDFrankie

I believe that's called Argument From Authority. You're a physicist and you believe in God so we should also. Besides, you studied Dark Matter for a whole summer! So there must be a God because you say so.

Really?

Really?

August 29, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • Physicist

1. Faith is believing in the unseen, so I am sorry but I can't prove this to you by science or any other way.
      2. If you read my comment, I did say I can't force you to believe in God, and studying dark matter for a summer doesn't mean it ended there, my faith is renewed every time I read an astrophysics journal. Also, Darwin coined the theory of evolution and didn't prove it like most scientists I know prove their thought theories, just saying. He was a man like you and I.

August 29, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
    • Sue

You are not a scientist. You're a fake. You don't even understand scientific principles enough to do it well. Go play a doctor on TV you silly person.

August 29, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
    • Sue

Oh, by the way pretend scientist, the story you lamely hijacked was really more about the misery of alcohol dependence. But, I suppose a fanatic gets easily distracted on their favorite subject, no? A little compassion perhaps next time? See if you can do it. God just might be watching ....

August 29, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • taildragon

It's fine if you believe, you can be a good person whether you believe or not. You may even be a physicist. But the more you talk about 'evolution', the more obvious it becomes that you don't know the first thing about it. Evolution is a well-settled theory (and if you truly are a scientist then you will understand the meaning of the term) developed to explain how the evolution we see (in genetics, fossil record, geodistribution, etc.) occurred. The problem you may have is that you're conflating evolution with abiogenesis, which is a much more speculative field (necessarily, because there is no direct evidence to test any theory about the beginning of life, whether natural or supernatural).

August 29, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • JT

Ok "physicist", you are either a liar, got your degree from a bible college or you should get your tuition money back. A simple read through a 3rd grade Biology text book educates one about evolution than the trash you just spewed. You're ignorance is embarrassing.

August 29, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
    • Azariah

The excuses keep coming. A believer presents faith, the atheist says 'science proves there is no God'. A believer presents faith and extensive scientific knowledge, the atheist says 'logic proves there is no God!'. Even if you read Descartes, you would know that logic can be used to prove God's existence. "I think therefore I am" – in the same piece that he puts that forward, he says it is logically impossible for there to be no God. And he was schooled by Jesuits, which is sketchy still.

Then we have Sue come along and outright accuse the man of not being a scientist. Scared? and the next man goes on about fancy words in the theory of evolution, still not touching the fact that evolution is a shaky theory at best. Even if animals evolved and transitional fossils exist, it doesn't disprove God's existence. Evolution is a rough series of explanations that don't contradict each other, but it's no way to explain the history of creation.

The truth is you can go on and on about science and logic all you want but it doesn't address the fundamental questions of our existence, which is where faith comes in. For a believer, science and logic strengthen faith in God. For an unbeliever, science and logic uhh... wow what a big coincidence everything is eh??? Cool!

August 31, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  3. KCB

I didn't mind the higher power part of AA – I just couldn't get over the AA part of AA.

August 29, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  4. Buster

You can do it without having to rewire your philosophy. Just make up your mind that you want to quit and challenge yourself. Use the power of your subconscious mind to direct your body and mind to break the destructive patterns. Focus on visualizing success. Don\'t forget to seek medical advice before you make drastic changes in your diet or alcohol consumption. If you have been drinking hard for a long time, you may need to follow a special diet and take vitamins like niacin and folic acid. You may need to ease off rather than attempting to stop cold turkey. You can do it and you know it, with or without faith in God.

August 29, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
    • vtrweasel

Shut up before you kill someone. Sudden withdrawal from alcohol can cause extreme responses like seizures, heart palpitations and vomiting, as well as create uncomfortable symptoms such as insomnia, anxiety and tremors.

There are some drugs that can be stopped "cold turkey." If alcohol consumption was high enough for long enough, alcohol is not one of them. Sudden cessation of alcohol consumption after months or years of heavy drinking can be hazardous, even fatal.

August 29, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • vtrweasel

Sorry, you did say "seek medical advice before you make drastic changes in your diet or alcohol consumption" but you're pretty much wrong in everything else you said.

August 29, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  5. Reed

This entire article seems to violate the 12 tranditions, course that's just my interpretation.

August 29, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
    • Uncle David

Now Reed, you know drunks love and cherish that self-endowed right to an opinion.

August 29, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  6. Uncle David

I've benn in AA for 27 years and at every opportunity I have defied a meeti ng or a Group obbsessed with 'defining' itself in a way contrary to AA's 12 Steps and 12 Traditions. To hell with Gay,straighht,agnostic,Republican,policemen or doctors meetings. The 3rd tradition tells me the only requirment for memberships is a desire to stop drinking. Maybe not tomorrow,either. How about today? I don't give a damn for womens or Sistah meetings either. There's another Tradition which states that we don't have any damned ruls but paradoxically a Group can do as it likes BUT as it affects AA as a whole. As for the fool who stated " by the grace of this program and the blood of Jesus Christ " he was sober I can take some pleasure in noting that alcoholic insanity,the lack of emotional sobriety has yet escaped hi. Keep coming back, brother, but leave Jesus on the dash board.

August 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • g0lem

A splendid article and an excellent comment Uncle David. I've a whole 19 months. I've been fortunate in the article of sponsors and this is not my first run at sobriety. I think a source of frustration is the dearth of a good vocabulary for things spiritual. I'm convinced that when someone says "God" to someone else, they each have very different ideas about what's been said.

August 29, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
    • Sandy

Sorry, but he was not a fool. He has found his higher power and who are you to say it isn't so. I personally believe that Jesus Christ is the true power behind AA, go back a little in the history of AA and see how it was founded, not the watered down version that is AA today.

August 29, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
  7. McCRAVE

Hmmm ... have always tried to apply "... my understanding of the AA Recovery Program ..." and regardless of my sided interpretations and/or in spite of my very own self, it continues to work; and to think, MY FIRST TWO STEPS IN BOTH BELIEVING AND RECOVERY WERE "... SKEPTICISM & PESSIMISM ..." and now I'm convinced that he, she, they or it knows and obviously, I don't ... to each their own ! Congratulations on your 'recovery' and just give thanks that your interpretive pathway is none of my business !

August 29, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
    • Iceman Geo

Well...said McCrave! To the author: Go For More...miracles never cease! To God: I believe, help my unbelief!

August 30, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
  8. Jason

You don't have to go to a 12 step program – there are secular organizations for sobriety. http://www.sossobriety.org/

August 29, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
    • Uncle David

...and none of them work as well as AA. That is if the numbers mean anything to you. Me? I just didn't want to die. I'd have picked up a Number 4 at McDonald's every day if someone had given me some hope that I wouldn't bleed to death or have another bowl of Special K followed by a glass or two of gin a few minutes later on the way to work. It takes work to be an alcoholic.

August 29, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • See McSee

Uncle David: If there are more God-believers in the population, and more of them are attracted to AA because of their belief in the higher power in the first place...it does not necessarily follow that AA's approach is more successful than any other program because of sheer numbers. If you took those AA members and put them all in, say, group therapy sessions headed by a psychiatrist, psychologist, etc., if AA didn't exist at all, it's quite possible that many of them would still recover from their alcoholism with similar statistical levels of success.

August 31, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  9. jparks

Question: If God did not create this Universe and Man, Why is there NO proof of any other " Beings" in the Universe?

August 29, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
    • Dave

Why is there no proof of the judeo-christian "god"?

August 29, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • David

@jparks

So because we haven't found simultaneous existence of another civilization, you can jump to the conclusion that a being not only created the universe, but also created one species of sentient life destined to fulfill the higher purpose of existing to believe in him?

August 29, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
    • jparks

There is proof ,it's all around you but you choose not to see it

August 29, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
    • drc

That would be very hard for you to understand.

August 29, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
    • jparks

I didn't ask a question to be answered with a question. Thats the cowardly reply

August 29, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • ArcFire213

Because there are no omnipotent beings, period.

August 29, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • Dave

@ jparks...no, there is precisely none. Just like there is precisely no evidence to support the existence of your other figments, "allah", "satan", etc. You're engaging in intellectual dishonesty.

August 29, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • Dave

When you ask a question that's blatantly dishonest, why would you expect a rational answer? If the reply is cowardly, so is your question. More to the point, how brave are you, if you cannot face life without a metaphysical security blankie?

August 29, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • Flappy

Hey jparks. If you take a basic astronomy class you can get the answer to that question. (Hint: The universe is a really big place with lots of planets spread very far apart with very few of them able to support life.) I'm not really sure what that has to do with God's existence. I always thought that was a matter of faith. If you are opening it up to the scrutiny of requiring proof I would say you are going to be at a disadvantage. Google Russell's teapot and you will see what I mean.

August 29, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • taildragon

Because it's just a stupid question. Like, "If Superman didn't come from Krypton, why is there no proof of Spiderman?"

August 29, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
    • Mark

There are thousands of religions on this planet, each with their own "proof" or "holy scripture" about their gods.

I'd post this question to you – let's say you're born into a mormon family, or a jewish family, or a muslim family, or any other of the hundreds of religions on this planet, and you believe what your parents are taught. Now that you're an adult, what would you objectively look at as evidence that the christian religion is the right one, instead of what you grew up with?

August 29, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
    • manny

because they're very far away?..................

August 29, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • jparks

The answer to a question is not a question. Further more if all the space exploration and searching cannot find or validate any other life source, how did we come to be? Did we Magically appear out of dust?

August 29, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • MGN

Actually there has been life found on other planets; bacteria from Mars was discovered in an ancient meteorite that smashed into the Antarctic over 13,000 years ago. Yes, bacteria is life in case you were wondering, jparks. Explain that to me. There ARE beings on other plants. The Universe is never ending, as well as the possibility for life on other planets outside of the Milky Way.

August 29, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • jparks

Cannot see my last reply to MGN, oh well it's probably best that he doesn't see it. Anyway may the Lord God be with you all

August 29, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
    • Dave

No, jparks...magic is YOUR explanation of existence. Science freely admits it doesn't know, but is looking for an honest answer, not some hackneyed, often-copied fairy tale.

August 29, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
  10. Aboutjab

I did the fake it till you make it, as a atheist I still don't believe, but I will have 29 years sober in about a month.

August 29, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  11. J. Noone

The success rate of 12-step programs is 5%. The success rate of quitting on your own... 5%.

August 29, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
    • Atheist

Where do you find these data? BTW, AA is about survival, rather than recidivism rate.

August 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Mark

This is a phony statistic, and is probably based on the statistic that AA only reaches about 5% of those suffering from alcoholism. For more realistic recovery stats, see McLellan's article in the Journal of AMA around 200, or any of Rudolf Moos' research. There's plenty of evidence that attending AA enhances recovery. Maybe not for everyone, but as they say, "It works if you work it".

August 29, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
  12. hopefulwife

Thank you so much for writing this. My husband is in rehab right now and these wise words will help him through his recovery. Thanks a million times over!

August 29, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  13. aaman

I have been sober and in the program for 21 years and don't really believe in any god. It used to bug me but now I just let it roll in one ear and out the other. Whatever works for you. Its a free country.

August 29, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  14. Amy

This article implies that you cannot believe in atoms and the wonder of evolution without being atheist or non-Christian, which is simply not true (I feel more theistic in a biochem class than I do talking to close-minded "Christian" creationist idiots, interestingly enough for the same reasons the author does). But I do sympathize with the lack of an AA community for atheists.

August 29, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • Atheist

You're right, Amy! You CAN prove that theistic scientists and mathematicians exist, beyond any of us atheists posting here: e.g., Priest Lemaitre and Kurt Friedrich Goedel.

August 29, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • John Richardson

Studying evolutionary biology and communing with animals both wild and domestic have made me what I am today: An agnostically tinged neo-animist! OK, it lacks a certain panache, but it is what it is and all the discussion on this board over the months I've been here hasn't nudged me off my position. I don't believe in gods that mimic neolithic city-state despots or their bronze and iron-age analogues. Indeed, I feel that the flight from nature to settled communities is what warped spirituality into religion as we know and hate it (or ought to). But once you behold just how deeply connected we truly are with nature and its myriad organism, whammo, instant neo-animist! Ok, maybe not for everyone ...

August 29, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
  15. Tom

She needs to be in a foxhole to find her belief in God!

August 29, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
    • Richard

I was in a foxhole and I didn't and still don't believe in a god...

August 29, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • Dillon

That's a ridiculous statement. I'm military and won't believe something as skewed and pathetic as religion. Your statement only exists because when put into a stressed, scared, or belittled situation, people try to find something to fall back on. A sense of security or luck. That's all religion is.

August 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Jason

Your remark is offensive to the many atheists that serve in the military. The Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers maintains a large list, in case there is any doubt. And these of course are only people who have asked to be on the list. http://www.militaryatheists.org/expaif.html

August 29, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Atheist

I've personally witnessed the continued convictions of two atheists who died in the foxhole.

August 29, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
    • Dave

Been there...still don't need your weak crutch to deal with reality. Maybe you should check out the MAAF...Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers. We've been nicknamed "Atheists In Foxholes".

August 29, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
  16. LauraJT

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. Sounds legit.

August 29, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • jparks

explain to me OH smart one Evolution. If man evolved from Ape's,Why didnt Apes evolve?

August 29, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • Blahman39

Reply to jparks:

:Sigh: First, we didn't evolve from apes. Second, apes evolved just like we did.

Humans and apes evolved from a common ancestor. The evidence can be found in our chromosomes. If it wasn't true, why would God place it there? And before you try to say it was to test man, you are effectively calling God a deceiver.

August 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Richard

Apes did evolve, they became fundamental christians

August 29, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Auntie Warhol

jparks: You have it wrong. Apes and Man evolved from the same thing(s). In gact, every living thing on this planet evolved from the same thing(s). They evolved in different directions; such is the way of the natural selection experiments. We are still evolving. So are apes.

August 29, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
    • SDFrankie

@JParks: ROFLMAO! Get a high school biology text and read about how evolution works and you can answer your own silly question. Don't ask smart folks to chew your food for you.

August 29, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • QS

"Don't ask smart folks to chew your food for you."

HA! :-)

August 29, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • Azariah

Evangelical atheism.. it's not enough to just not believe in God, but you have to go trample on the beliefs of others. What you said does nothing to challenge the beliefs of a Christian. I wonder why you did it... to be congratulated by those who think just like you?

Do you have a strong belief independent belief system, or do you just choose to rebel against the norm just because it is the norm? Unfortunately although "Christianity" is the norm in the USA, true religion is a rarity, so you only succeed in taking down a strawman. Luckily for you jparks came along and played the part of the strawman very well.

August 31, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  17. Glen

Unfortunately this is another apparent member who has completely forgotten about our true responsibility and that is anonymity as well noty dragging the A.A. name into the paper to remind folks of her new book, like we need another book about being sober and another opinion on the A.A. program........

August 29, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • Mary b

Thanks, Glen......I have to do a 4th step on my resentment towards people that violate our tradition of anonymity at the level of press radio and films.! She may have 10 years, but there's always the yets and the buts. I feel sorry for her, and will keep her in my PRAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! May the FORCE be with you!

August 29, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • vtrweasel

Not trying to step on the the 11th tradition here (pun intended) but is the only place I can talk about my experience in AA either in an AA meeting or face to face with another alcoholic?

If I have a blog that follows my recovery in AA while not mentioning any other AA members or telling people that "AA works and you should go" am I breaking the 11th?

Doesn't make sense when I trying to do what ever it takes to help other alcoholics. Shouldn't our experience, strength & hope be passed on?

August 29, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
    • dyg

Great point.

September 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  18. Mark

Great article and it's clearly evoked many responses.

As a recovering alcoholic I chose the options that work for me and remember that different approaches work for different people. They common “enemy” is the addiction not someone else who may have a different way of dealing with it.

August 29, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  19. Matt

Trollin trolls be trollin.

August 29, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  20. Adam

It will always boggle my mind how people somehow think the advancement of the human species or even the universe is the same as morality.

August 29, 2011 at 5:37 pm |