home
RSS
My Faithlessness: The atheist way through AA
Six of AA's 12 steps explicitly refer to God, a Higher Power, or He.
August 28th, 2011

My Faithlessness: The atheist way through AA

By Marya Hornbacher, Special to CNN

I blinked.

But I don’t believe in God.

I told them I believed in math. Chaos, I said. Infinity. That sort of thing.

They looked at me in despair.

And I find that not only fascinating but wondrous, awe-inspiring and humbling.

That keeps me sober. Amen.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Marya Hornbacher.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief

soundoff (3,939 Responses)
  1. propwash

God/Devel were born in the mind of man, and there they reside.

August 31, 2011 at 7:41 am |
  2. jimtanker

I've been posting as atheist and replying as a christian and vice likewise been using many handles.

And success! 3,000+. I'm quite tired but way to go for 5,000 or more.

August 31, 2011 at 7:18 am |
  3. DC

When I went to AA it was explained to me that your "higher power" could be anything, it could be a doorknob or a tree if you want. This struck me as rather weasly. Who is going to put their faith in a doorknob? But really the value of AA comes in admittance, reconciliation with those you may of hurt, and the strength and acceptance of the group; not from some mystical sky fairy. So I see these "higher power" references merely as relics of how the program was originally set up. Another person through their faith might find them useful.

August 31, 2011 at 7:01 am |
  4. HouseHaunter454

"The fool has said in his heart 'there is no God'". -Psalms

August 31, 2011 at 6:53 am |
    • DC

So you are "proving" the veracity of Christian scripture with....Christian scripture? With this circular reasoning, I hope you have considered a career in politics.

August 31, 2011 at 7:03 am |
    • Nix

Question with boldness even the existence of God; because if there be one, He must approve the homage of Reason rather than that of blindfolded Fear. Thomas Jefferson

September 2, 2011 at 10:32 am |
  5. Neil

I find it funny that people believe in Jesus Christ, or whatever they were born into. I also find it funny, that people have addiction issues. Perhaps both are manifestations of the same, the unwillingness or inability to rationalize.

August 31, 2011 at 4:17 am |
    • Joe

Almost as funny as your judgmental close-mindedness that reeks of ignorance. I find that utterly hilarious that you try to play the superior high-horse card, when in fact you define intellectual bottom-feeding xD

August 31, 2011 at 6:44 am |
  6. jimmyspeaks

man oh man, you are all missing the point of life on lifes terms and being alive vs. just living.seems like everyone has the need to be right about their way of thinking, which by the way is where we ALL get into trouble. AA,religion,christ himself,science satanisim, math,medicine or whatever it is you choose to turn to try to get out of pain,remorse,guilt, anger, selfishness,legal problems,drug/alcohol abuse,financial ruin or any other negative result producing situation that you have brought upon yourself if it changes you for the betterand helps others feel better about you or themselves who cares what,who, or how someones higher power works!!! if you can't drive the bus, something (anything that can drive better than you) and keep some kind of peace and order onboard still needs to get you going to someplace different than where you are driving to. peace and happiness is total acceptance of life and knowledge that you don't exist to be RIGHT!!!

August 31, 2011 at 2:13 am |
    • ROBO

Yea please keep religion out of something that is benefiting people. Hasn't mankind seen enough carnage, genocide and bloodshed in the name of religion in the last 3000 years thru christian crusades, inquisitions, zionism, reformation, counter reformation and jihad. Death that exceeds all the wars in history. And Bob, please don't be an AA nazi.

August 31, 2011 at 3:10 am |
    • Joe

Robo... LOL. Atheism and Communism has killed billions in the last 100 years. Just ask Russia, China, North Korea, Cambodia, Laos, and other countries around the globe. Much more than religion has. It's people that kill people. They fight for resources and desires, and use whatever "banner" or "idea" they can rally people under. Religion just happens to be a powerful unifier. There are more good than bad things about it, but haters are gonna hate.

August 31, 2011 at 6:42 am |
    • Frankie

@Joe Those countries' leaders didn't kill because of atheism, they killed because they were bad people clinging on to their political power. Both Stalin and Hitler have moustaches, does that imply that moustaches kill people?

August 31, 2011 at 7:58 am |
    • Nix

@Joe
      I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of [hu]mankind has preserved the Cross. Consider what calamaties that engine of grief has produced! John Adams

Russian Pograms
      Crusades
      Jonestown
      Salem Witch Trials
      Holocaust
      the Protestant v Catholic conflicts
      Manifest Destiny of the North and South American destruction of Native cultures
      Ad Infinitum......

September 2, 2011 at 10:40 am |
  7. Bob

This article is a violation of AA's 11th tradition, and should be removed immediately. There's really nothing else to say.

August 31, 2011 at 2:02 am |
    • E.

The 11th step is about personal anonymity, i.e. others. She is free to let the world know who she is. Great article. Need to see more stories of people's experiiences, strength and hope out there.

August 31, 2011 at 2:34 am |
    • ROBO

Bob, sounds like you have a resentment. Please don't drink over it.

August 31, 2011 at 3:17 am |
    • Chris

Amen, but there's no enforcement of traditions... I can't believe how utterly stupid this egomaniac is.... but then again aren't we just ego's with an inferiority problem... hers' rages!

August 31, 2011 at 5:55 am |
  8. Seneca

I've been sober (and clean) in AA for 28 years now. I don't have a personal deity and haven't for many decades,not since I was a teenager reeling from the brutal religious experience of my childhood. And I have made three deep and complete trips through AA's 12 Steps over the years, which were profoundly helpful. Anyone who thinks you have to be a Christian (or any other kind of religionist) to to do that is simply clueless about AA.

Long ago, when I realized I was going to have to come to some kind of grips with this idea of a Higher Power if I was going to have much hope of getting and staying sober (my way really hadn't worked very well), I did. I defined it as: what was best in me and other people. Which AA said I was perfectly free to do.

There really isn't any kind of particular Higher Power you have to believe in, in AA. Truly. And anyone who tries to tell you there is, is just, well, wrong – or perhaps simply clueless. There is no Higher Power there in whose name you can go out and bash unbelievers, or browbeat them (or even cajole them for that matte)r. Anyone who tries that is working out of their own head, not out of AA.

A fine place, AA. And of tremendous, literally life-saving help. But your own particular experience of it might well depend on just how bright or bigoted you are or are not.

Be well.

August 31, 2011 at 12:33 am |
  9. archie

Hats off to Marya Hornbacher. AA's the only game in town for most people who want to stay sober. I play along with the Christians because I figure it's no skin off my ass to play along with them, even if they do sound like stupid little kids all the time in every way. It's that whole, "Would you rather be connected or right?" thing where I humble myself a little bit and play along to get along. In my view, religion poisons everything, including AA, but if you've spent a number of years in sobriety, then you already know what Hell is like. Understanding surrender & humility while humoring a bunch of Christians with all their blood-drenched macho Jesus crap in order to share the connections we have with each other on even deeper levels of sobriety is what AA is really all about.

August 30, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  10. mike here

a 14 Hindu girl is murdered by a man. the man is convicted of his crime and sentenced to prison, where he becomes " saved" as a christian. he dies in prison 40 years later

Am I to believe that the Hindu girl is in hell, while the murderer is in paradise? obviously I dont believe in an afterlife but this thought experiment shows how illogical religion can be. by the criteria i have been told to get to heaven,even hitler could qualify by just repenting at the end of his life! imagine...hitler in heaven and a murdered 14 year old in hell

August 30, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  11. Bill Wright

You are your higher power. Bravo to you for overcoming alcoholism, and for writing of your atheism. A belief in God is only for those too weak and ignorant to believe in themselves.

August 30, 2011 at 11:03 pm |
    • Joe

You miss the entire point of a "higher power" friend. If they didn't feel overwhelmed by their shortcomings, they wouldn't be there in the first place. You are not alone in the universe, and accept it or not, you are affected by other beings/people/powers, etc. So thrive in your ego or just accept the simple facts that there are other powers than yourself and that you can use their leverage for your own "salvation" be it as influential role-models or food for thought. I know the new, cool thing is to be egotistical and self-worshipping, but then you have no room for growth. So just accept the world/universe around you and its variety. Embrace it, learn from it, grow.

August 31, 2011 at 6:49 am |
  12. Preacher Man

I am so thankful that the author of this article is sober. And doing it apart from God is much more difficult than doing with God. Just a thought: I find it interesting that no one wants absolute truth...until...it concerns them personally. "It's perfectly fine and socially acceptable to sleep with whomever you desire"...until it's your spouse having an affair. "It's not wrong to steal...to lie...to cheat..." until you are the one who is robbed, lied to or cheated. Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. John 14:6

Some food for mental consumption.

August 30, 2011 at 9:35 pm |
    • jway

Jesus Christ has been dead for two thousand years dude. Don't make him out to be something he wasn't. And his name wasn't Jesus Christ either for that matter.

August 30, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • ejs239

Silly person

August 30, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
    • Bill Kilpatrick

I'm having trouble with the logic of a self-help program designed to get people to make better choices by first telling them that they're "powerless" over their addiction. It's one thing to lose control, just as anyone can lose their balance and take a mighty plunge, but that's a far cry from being "powerless," especially after you've decided to get back up.

August 30, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
  13. Chad

August 30, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
  14. Koom

You don't need to be a big book thumper , to do the steps or be a believer in a God for AA to help , to get sober and stay sober . All you need is a desire to get sober , a desire to get free and be serious about it , in my opinion you need to have hit bottom .Give it a while , find meetings you like , eventually get a sponsor you're comfortable with . Everyone has their own program is what it boils down to , you take what works for you and leave the rest , same with each and every meeting , don't critique people , listen and just take what you can get out of it I know , AA saved my life , 17 years ago . Most important is support , not being alone and having others who are going or have gone through the very same you are , only another alchi can truly understand . I meet some really good people in AA , some are gone now , I thank them from the bottom of my hear for being there . I can't change the past but I am OK with myself today , I have a good wife , am living instead of just existing and have a life worth living . Booze is the furthest thing from my mind today , just thinking of that smell and all that goes with it me actually repulses me . I am one of the lucky ones , thanks to AA .

August 30, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
    • Preacher Man

Isn't it desire that got alcoholics in the mess in they find themselves in the first place? Their inability to control that desire automatically rules out "their desire to quit". They can't. They need a higher authority...i.e. God.

August 30, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
    • jway

Preacher Man, you need to learn more about what addiction actually is. Don't make up imaginary solutions for real problems.

August 30, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
    • Dave

@ Preacher man...not always. I got sober with no help from any higher power, god, program, whatever. I got sober through inner strength and discipline. That's something that no god, higher power, or program can instill.

August 30, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
    • Joe

If you had a hero, an influence, or a role-model to get you through the hard times, then at that point in time, it could be considered a "higher power". Then there are those that believe in a deity/God or a greater purpose. Just re-read the article for waht it is, instead of trying to re-interpret it to feed your ego. Even atheists who believe in nothing greater than humanity can be humbled and learn from others for personal growth and prosperity. Great article!

August 31, 2011 at 6:52 am |
  15. CR Green

The thinking of Carl Jung contributed to that of those who founded AA. Following on from Freud, who discounted God, Jung saw that all over the world, in all cultures, we human beings need something more, what can be called a "higher power." Rather than being "pie in the sky," faith often turns out to be very practical.

August 30, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • ellis jard

You see, it's that business about C.G. Jung that's the real problem if one knows anything. Jung did NOT have much of anything at all to do with the origins of AA. He made a tiny comment on some "poor fellow, " who had come to see him. Jung was most dubious about Oxford movement and its claims, and he noted in letter he wrote some time afterwards that this "poor fellow" had not succeeded and had died.

A disease that is caused by lies cannot be cured by more lies.

August 30, 2011 at 11:08 pm |
  16. TL

A s an Athiest I too found myself in despair when I mistakenly believed that Higher Power meant "God". I was lucky enough to have chosen a very wise Sponser. She herself followed a spiritual path alighned with American Indian belief system, but she expressed to me that Highe Pwer meant anything you Believe to be more powerful than you...after deep thought over much time I found that I believe the ocean was more powerful than me and began the path of giving over my poerlessness to the sea...been sober for 24 years and thay has evoved int not just the sea, but rocks. old trees. the universe etc...Whatever works to keep you sober...a mindset that I see expressed over and over again here of small mindedness, critisism, and belittling of others would have doomed me to continue to be an active alcolholic.

August 30, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
    • OzMan

You said what I was thinking, TL. It simply says a "higher power". The author, by saying that she sees herself as the least important thing around, opened herself up to finding the "higher power"

It's funny to see/hear/read AA's detractors. AA is perhaps the least obtrusive organisation out there. They take nothing (hey, if you can, do you want to chip in for the coffee and donuts you just had? You can't? OK, no problem), they welcome anyone, they keep to themselves, and although they are there to help those that stumble, they don't go around looking to "recruit".

And, no, I have never needed their services. But I know a number of people in various stages of recovery. And I respect what they do.

August 30, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
    • chlyn

Thank you, this is a great thought and very well put.

August 31, 2011 at 12:22 am |
  17. Jim

Hey Atheist Lady, You Just Blew your ANONYMITY big time.

August 30, 2011 at 7:47 pm |
    • Jymbo

Umm.. why should she be anonymous? We're the strong. We're the future. Theism is dying, god is already dead. Those who hold religious views will soon find themselves left behind... languishing in the dark ages, while we, atheist humanity flies higher than you can possibly imagine. Your time is over. The time of humanism has arrived. We will take the fire from the gods themselves and use it as we will. There is no higher power than mankind.

August 30, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • jway

You're right Jymbo. It's weird to live in an age when "reality" is whatever fantasy people like to create. It's better now than when the religions were strong though that's for sure!

August 30, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • Joy

If you're talking about AA's anonymity, that refers to not outing others. One has a right to out oneself. I've heard rumors of AA groups or members not clear on that aspect of the concept, but if that's what you're trying to say, you're the first I've "met."

August 30, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
    • Jason

Tradition 11 states, "We need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio and films." This requires that members do not reveal their affiliation with AA at those levels. This article _IS_ a clear-cut break in that tradition. The reason for our tradition of anonymity is that when a public figure announces their affiliation with AA, if they drink, it makes AA look bad. The deeper reason is spiritual in nature. Marya Hornbacher is making money (at least I assume she was paid for writing this) and receiving notoriety for her affiliation with AA. AA's spiritual principle of anonymity stresses anonymous service to others without reward; or putting the greater good of Alcoholics Anonymous ahead of your own interests.

I want to make it very clear (since the author did not) that this person does NOT speak for AA, and her article is a violation of AA's principles.

August 31, 2011 at 1:00 am |
    • ROBO

Jason is what we call in the fellowship-"an AA Nazi".

August 31, 2011 at 2:57 am |
  18. Sean

"They looked at me in despair.

What an arrogant, ignorant and fallacious combination of ad hominen attack, non sequitur and straw-man arguments! Do not encourage people to go near this cult and their pernicious activities.

August 30, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • Seneca

Ah, my friend. And what cult is that you belong to, that leads you to name AA a cult and characterize its activities as "pernicious"?

August 31, 2011 at 12:40 am |
  19. Nick

Why did this alcoholic need to seek help from a religious organization? Because atheists don't offer her any solution.
    Atheists, whether directly or indirectly, have a dependency on religion and or religious organizations to offer solutions.
    But religious people have no such dependency on atheists. Atheists are good people, just not
    very _creative_ problem solvers.

August 30, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • halligator

AA ties its self to religion.

August 30, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • Bill

boy, I bet that makes you feel good about your creative self, doesn't it?

August 30, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
    • StevePi

As an atheist, my creative solution would be to not get addicted to alcohol in the first place or rely on your real friends and family, not a bunch of phony losers who need to join a club of losers like AA.

August 30, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • Rob

You saying religious folks have never purchased insurance, visited a doctor, collected unemployment, collected social security, used electricity, used a computer, cooked with a microwave, flown in an airplane. Good thing because they would be relying on solutions brought to them without the help of religion.

August 30, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • Chad

Being a servant to others is something Jesus taught. It is the right thing to do, and does not take away from one when one follows through with it – whether you're a believer or not. It's in our blood.
      So much attack on Christianity everywhere you look...
      Stay strong where you can. A lot of good things origin from the followers of Christ. They have a good foundation on which to build on.
      The best foundation for Atheism would be the writings of Nietzsche. He spent the last few years of his life insane, and had one of the most influential followers in human history (Hitler). In the Atheistic mindset, the only thing Hitler did wrong was LOSE THE WAR!
      ... just sayin'.

August 30, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
    • jway

I agree with you Nick, religious people have made fantastic support structures for both themselves and nonbelievers. Religions can bind people together and allow them to achieve things that would otherwise be impossible. However it doesn't mean that god is real.

August 30, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • ROBO

Hey, there has been more genocide and bloodshed in the name of religion than all the wars for the last 3000 years. i.e. christian crusades, the inquisitions, the reformation, the counter reformation, jihad,.....

August 31, 2011 at 12:53 am |
    • Matt H.

Nick, there are Secular Organizations for Sobriety, SOS for short. One of my friends, an atheist and AA refugee, started an SOS group here in Wichita recently. There are apparently plenty of people who want support in getting and staying sober, but are turned off by the cultish AA program. SOS offers a religion/woo-free alternative.

August 31, 2011 at 7:21 am |
  20. Leigh

But....... WHO or WHAT is your Higher Power? Like Sam, that is what stymies me.............. ARGH!!

August 30, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • jway

Why do you think there's a higher power? There's nothing in the universe that needed a higher power to exist so why do you think that one must exist somewhere? The only "proof" of a higher power comes from a book written by people as confused and as scared as we are. They made up stories to sooth themselves, just as we do today.

August 30, 2011 at 10:35 pm |