home
RSS
August 29th, 2011

1. EvolvedDNA

The tea party will end up like all tea.. in hot water,, its starting already.

August 29, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  2. Adam

Hmm, so is it a joke because it is clearly absurd that the Creator of the Universe sends meteorologicaly coded messages to the government of one specific country on Earth signifying His supreme displeasure at its policies? Or is it a joke because she ACTUALLY believes this view of supernatural agency and the veracity of the Bible to be a true representation of how our world really IS?

However one reads her words, they are anything but funny.

August 29, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
    • Peace2All

Well said.

Peace...

August 30, 2011 at 12:26 am |
  3. Reality

If there were a god, he/she/it and/or spirit would not tolerate the stupidity of Beck or Bachmann thereby proving there is no god.

August 29, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • Peace2All

LOL...! Interesting logic you got going there, my friend !

Regards,

Peace...

August 30, 2011 at 12:27 am |
  4. JF

So is she joking and mocking God or is she serious? She sounds a lot like a preacher to me. I'm sure there have been a few pastors that have said the same words during their sermons recently. Either way, it's amazing that we still have people like this in politics in the 21st century.

August 29, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • Peace2All

@JF

Bachmann is about as 'fundie' as you can get. While she may have made her statements in context of humor, yes, she 'does' very well believe this nonsense.

Regards,

Peace...

August 30, 2011 at 12:29 am |
    • HotAirAce

As much as I believe MB is Queen Batshit at the moment, at least until Palin jumps in (please, please do Sarah!), I agree with Peace2All – she probably was being funny, and I think that's clear by her delivery. But she is a hard core believer so I don't doubt that she believes her god is saying something. I wonder when her next pychiatric appointment is.

August 30, 2011 at 1:21 am |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

HotAirAce

......... I wonder when her next pychiatric appointment is.
      ---–
      I hope she is on good meds....
      Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that makes it difficult to tell the difference between real and unreal experiences, to think logically, to have normal emotional responses, and to behave normally in social situations.
      As the illness continues, psychotic symptoms develop:
      • False beliefs or thoughts that are not based in reality (delusions)
      • Hearing, seeing, or feeling things that are not there (hallucinations)

August 30, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  5. saynotoBachs

yep I'm pretty sure the folks with flooded basements in New Jersey/York/England, and the folks stuck on a barrier island off the carolinas are laughing it up right now...

August 29, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  6. Derek Wain

Bachmann's language was obviously a political metaphor, which all her listeners and readers understood. But Team Obama media jackals think they can pervert the obvious meaning of her language that the Federal Gvt. is grossly overspending money it doesn't have. From Abraham Lincoln through FDR, top political leaders have used God language in political metaphor.

August 29, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • what

You're seriously trying to justify her nonstop cracked-out bullsh!t? She's not speaking in any way that any former president has spoken. Religious rhetoric has always been around, but this is a special brand of lunacy.

August 29, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
  7. James F. McGrath

I'm glad I posted something about the kind of image you end up with if you attribute natural phenomena to a personal deity before Bachmann said this.

August 29, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • James F. McGrath

The link didn't appear, but what I blogged about this topic can be found here: http://www.patheos.com/community/exploringourmatrix/2011/08/27/the-connection-between-hurricane-irene-and-gay-marriage/

August 29, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • A Theist

I thought the image supplementing the blog post was especially appropriate. 😀

August 29, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  8. Darrell

If this is what goes for humor among the Tea Party, we should be adequately warned. We who were in Irene are not laughing. I guess CNN is really trying to shed that "liberal media" tag by going so easy on this tasteless "joke". (I suspect from everything else we know about Bachmann, she believes it even if it was joke.)

August 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • what

If any 'liberal' had said anything remotely like it, this nut would have been crawling all over them about what poor taste it is.

August 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
  9. Byrd

God's song to Bachman, and every other republican: "This is a song for you, so far away from me..., by James Taylor.

Thanks, James.

August 29, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  10. Ronny Park

Bachmann Turning Overdrive. Another reason for Obama cruising into a second term.

August 29, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • A Theist

She won't even make the Primaries.

August 29, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  11. Big T

The audience clearly thought she was joking since they laughed. And the news-robots realized she was joking. How can you guys be so stupid?

August 29, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Free

But was she making a joke about God being involved, or the stupidity of people for not taking these disasters as a 'sign'? I can't tell.

August 29, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • InLightOf

If you followed anything else Bachmann has said or done, then you'd realize she most likely wasn't joking.

August 29, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Servant of Christ!

Galatians 6:7 Do not be decieved; God is not mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature will reap destruction; The one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Now i say that those who mock God shall have their day because if you knew him you would not ask such foolish questions or say foolish things for watch and pray for ye knoweth not the day or hour that the Son of man shall come Matthew 25:13 i pray that michele brachmann can see these post!

August 29, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Perry

Servant of Christ! you missed you're era, the Spanish Inquisition came and went. But you seem ready to lead a new one. Would you kill for God? (just being inflammatory, thanks)

August 29, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • what

They were laughing because they knew it was expected of them, like a batch of idiot sheep.

August 29, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
  12. Marc Lewis

I would say 'who can take this person seriously' but then, they said that about Hitler in the 1930's.

August 29, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • actuator

Ditto Obama.

August 29, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  13. RobynH

I suppose is should not be surprising that Mrs Bachmann finds the suffering and pain of thousands and the deaths of 27 people to be an amusing punchline. She has certainly never demonstrated any sympathy, compassion, or even recognition of the existence of the rest of the human race. They are simply pieces to be pushed around and manipulated in the cause of her own self-idolatry.

August 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • Trust me, they're not all like that...

Confessing it was a joke was better than saying she was serious! (even though I still think she was) She pushed herself into a corner of foolish ignorance.

August 29, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  14. Byrd

She might be right in at least one way: Both bring the promise of misery, inequity and destruction, the republicans true platform.

August 29, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
  15. Bill Schmalfeldt (@ParkyBill)

God has issued an official response.

August 29, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  16. sheetiron

August 29, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> It wasnt a joke. She was just being a Christian who isnt intimidated by the herd mentality. Those are kinda hard to come by these days.

It wasnt a joke. She was just being a Christian who is ignorant of mostly everything. Those are kinda hard to come by these days.

Fixed it for you.

August 29, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Trust me, they're not all like that...

"isnt intimidated by the herd mentality." Where in the NEW TESTAMENT (since we're talking Christians here) does it say God actively attacks people for political purposes. In the grand scheme of things, the election of 2012 is a blip in God's radar of things that matter to Him.

No this lady hasn't even read the Bible thoroughly and made up a mind of her own, she is the definition of a "herd Christian"–pick the butt in front of you an follow it. I'm not saying that God doesn't do things like this, but seriously, are we going to turn every natural disaster into something related to politics? God's got bigger things planned than worrying about an impotent Congress, a sitting duck president, and a nation that isn't doing quite half as bad as the news networks aim to make it.

August 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Free

If you consider yourself part of a flock then aren't you kinda accepting a herd mentality anyway?

August 29, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • Trust me, they're not all like that...

You can be a part of a flock but still think for yourself. A herd mentality implies that you believe everything the Grand Poobah tells you without question or introspection.

August 29, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • David Johnson

@The Bobinator

Fixed it for you.

Cheers!

August 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

"It wasnt a joke. She was just being a Christian who is ignorant of mostly everything. Those are kinda typical these days."

It wasnt a joke. She was just being a jack-as* liberal on the cnn comment boards who is ignorant of mostly everything. Those are kinda typical these days.

There...it's fixed.

August 29, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • Free

Was her audience laughing at what she said, or at people supposedly not linking the disasters with God?

August 29, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • Free

Trust me, they're not all like that...
      Animal groupings are described as flocks precisely because of the apparent unity of direction they take. They tend to always move as one, suggesting a lack of independence. I take it as a point of pride that attempts to organize we atheists are likened to attempts to herd cats. We truly are independent thinkers. 🙂

Incidentally, shepherds are used symbolically to represent 'protection' and 'caring' where the reality is that they protect and care for their flocks only to ensure that they alone get to fleece, and eventually consume them.

August 29, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Perry

If anyone thinks Bachmann thinks for herself, they need to ask her husband first. He commands her, right?

On another note, when did modern Christianity turn in to a doomsday cult, expectantly hopeful for the End of Days? How many species look forward to the end of their existence? I can't prove there is an afterlife (and neither can you), but I can certainly see the world around me in this life. How could one rationally look upon misery and suffering on Earth and see it as a good sign? Please, people, keep doomsday religions out of our quest for existence.

August 29, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Trust me, they're not all like that...

----
      She doesn't need to read it because she answers to here husband.

August 30, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  17. DamianKnight

August 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • A Theist

Especially when mingled with politics. Hilarious!! I can't wait till she becomes President and she's alerted of an impending attack, but before taking action, has to take a 5-minute laughing spell!

August 29, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • David Johnson

@DamianKnight

You said: "I can't say I agree with the idea of anyone talking about people's llives and ivelihoods being destroyed by a hurricane should be comedic material. I know, let's next joke about the Holocaust, because as we know, death and destruction are incredibly funny."

The funny part is believing natural disasters are supernatural. Next, Christians will believe witches are causing the economic problems...

I can almost smell the fires, lit for the heretics.

"Religion poisons everything" – C. Hitchens

Cheers!

August 29, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

DamianKnight

I guess they din't show the full video clip. I heard she followed that joke with the one about god using Hitler to send the Jews a message. Ha ha ha so funny isn't it christians.

August 30, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  18. A Theist

Everyone's saying it's a joke... but I have to say it didn't sound like she was joking. It just sounded.... stupid.

"I don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?' Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now. They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we've got to rein in the spending."

–Bachmann

It kind of reminds me of little kids who say something like, "Daddy you're fat!" and then the kid starts to get chastised, so the immediate defense if "I was just KIDDING!"

August 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • A Theist

And somebody please tell her to quit talking about the American people, as if she knows more than her rich white friends and her Tea Party fanatics. I'm not "roaring" about anything, except that I expect Bachmann and any other candidate to be just like the majority of politicians throughout time, filled with hype and empty promises.

August 29, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Perry

Worthy humor for a late-night talk show host. Not for someone aspiring to the most powerful seat in office. I was clearly a stab a humor, but in poor taste. It was also born from her belief that knows what God wants and is doing. She KNOWS what God wants. Scary, because so does Bill the transient downtown under the bridge. Let's put him in charge!

August 29, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • what

I hope Stephen Colbert was paying attention...

August 29, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
  19. Tea Party Daily Mirror

A spokesperson today said candidate Michele Bachmann, having recently left her church behind, is converting to Islam.

Bachmann is also leaving her latent-gay, flaccid husband Marcuthhh so that she can be free to pursue musician Yousef Islam (Cat Stevens). Bachmann is guoted as saying "I've always liked his music. You know what they say about musical men and their trombones..." and "As a Muslim and POuTUS, I could solve our terrorism problems once and for all. There's no way Al Kaida and his countrymen will attack a country with a Muslim leader. This will help me get elected in other ways too. In fact, it might be the only way I can get more than the teabagger vote and pull in anything from Obama's liberal base."

Yousef Islam (Stevens) was heard to say "No way, dude, no friggin way. That leathery old haggis wouldn't have made it as my groupie even when she was 20, no matter how good her oratory skills are."

August 29, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  20. The Bobinator

Bachman: "Look, the chances that this hurricane isn't a message from God is as likely as evolution being false."

August 29, 2011 at 1:22 pm |