home
RSS
Mel Gibson to produce movie about Jewish icon
Mel Gibson is set to produce a film about a Jewish icon
September 9th, 2011

Mel Gibson to produce movie about Jewish icon

(CNN) – For his next project, Mel Gibson is setting his sights on a film about a Jewish hero, according to Deadline.

The embattled actor, who's come under fire for making anti-Semitic remarks, has teamed up with Warner Bros. to create a movie about Judah Maccabee, a famed warrior in Jewish history. (Warner Bros. is owned by the same parent company as CNN.)

Gibson is set to produce the film through his Icon Productions company, and will decide on whether to direct or act in the feature after the script is completed. Joe Eszterhas ("Basic Instinct," "Showgirls") is attached to pen the script, which, according to Deadline, will also have input from Gibson.

Read the fulls story on CNN's Marquee Blog
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Faith Now • Judaism • Movies

1. GsySgtHartman

Don't do it Mel, you were 100% right about these vile creatures all along.

September 9, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Mel Gibson

C'mon man, chill out. Sure it was the Jews that f'ed up the free world. But they arnt all the same, some of them actually practise their religion and don't just soak up all the sympathy like a bunch of trust fund babies.

September 9, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Laughing

Yikes! Sounds like someone is a little angry at the jews of the world. What, did you screw up and decide that it would be easier to blame the jews than to own up to your mistakes? What a shame you suck at life.

September 9, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  2. Chris

Just to clear up the history, the Maccabees fought against the Seleucid Empire, a Hellenistic successor kingdom of Alexander the Great. The Romans did not appear on the scene for another hundred years after the events of the Maccabee rebellion when Pompey the Great overthrew the last king of the Hasmonean dynasty that Judah founded and set up a puppet kingdom.

Personally, I think Mel might be crazy, but I have enjoyed most of his movies so I'll reserve judgment until I see this.

September 9, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  3. Larry The Ill-Tempered Mutated Sea Bass

Mad Max is now a Roman-slashing Jew. And the script is to be written by the guy who did "Showgirls" and "Basic Instinct," so you can be sure there will be lots of god-fearing beaver to be seen. Lots of blood and gratuitous nudity – this has all the makings of a religious masterpiece!

September 9, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  4. gupsphoo

Mel Gibson has the freedom to make movies that appeal to religious zealots and the gullible. He has the right to make money off them. Let him do it.

September 9, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  5. Bo

I guess I've confuse Maccabee with some other rebel. Maccabee fought against the Greeks, non the less, it's going to be bloody battle scenes. But there was some rebel that fought against the Romans, if I recall rightly, shortly after the time of Jesus (he wasn't a follower of Jesus) and he caused a lot of havoic. He defeteded the Romans a couple times, completely wiped out a Roman force at one time, didn't leave any live Roman soldies, and the the emperor sent in a huge army and wiped him out. (My oppion: He bit off more than he could chew. He should have spit and split) I don't remember all that story either. It seems like the Jews had a hard time getting along with anyone.

September 9, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • Laughing

I think you're talking about another "messiah" that came again, L-something, I need to google it, but basically it was a guy who fought the Romans and lived in the caves outside of town and would occasionaly make a sortie down to kill a few Romans and then run back to his caves. He was pretty successful until the Romans got fed up.

Also, unfortuantely, Jews have never gotten along with anyone else, ever really. When it looks like they're getting along with them, that illusion is pretty much smashed a couple decades later. I'm still debating if this is Judaisms fault with it's whole "chosen people" mantra and its exclusivity (All of the jews in the world, a whole 50% are looked as apsostates by the religious jews in israel), it could also be that the jews always make for GREAT scapegoats for just about everyone.

September 9, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  6. McJesus

I wish this dikfor would go away

September 9, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • Laughing

......what's a dikfor (hehe)

September 9, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  7. Shachar

Mel "Bigot" Gibson making a movie about Judaism? Gimme a break. What's he trying to do – break bread with those he aims his anti-Semitic remarks at? Can't change the spots on a leopard and neither can ole` Mel change who he is. That he wants to make a movie dealing with Judaism makes me want to vomit.

September 9, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  8. Bo

@Kimsland: Hi! how are you doing? I'm presumming that you have limited time to do postings. You aren't on very long. So, do you have a job that takes up a lot of your time, if so that's great!

September 9, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • kimsland

Hi Bo
      I tend to be all over the net
      But usually I check old posts, here and there, it might take a day, but I eventually reply back.

September 9, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  9. Reality

Read http://www.sbl-site.org/assets/pdfs/TB5_Maccabees_SW.pdf to see what is really known about J. Maccabee.

September 9, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
  10. Bo

How many of you people even know what the story of Judah Maccabee is all about? The story is not even in the King James Bible. Someone said, I hope it is bloody, I'm sure it will be. Did you see the movie, "Brave Heart" It will be something like that. It's the historical story of a Jewish Zelot (rebel) that makes war with the Romans, so there will be a lot of bloody battle secens. Enjoy, if that's your cup of tea.

September 9, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • herbert juarez

When killing a war elephant it is best not to stand underneath,thrusting upward with a sword.

September 9, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  11. Santa Claus

From the minds of ("Basic Instinct," "Showgirls")??

So is Mel going to wear a kilt and do the whole "spreading legs" scene with a bunch of Saved by the Bell chicks strip in the background?

This movie could be amazing

September 9, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
  12. JF

Desperate times call for desperate measures. This has to be killing him on the inside. After making a few bucks, his anti-Jew character will once again emerge. Perhaps after a few drinks.

September 9, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
  13. pastafaria

"Gibson" is probably the Anglicized spelling of "Goebbels".

September 9, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
  14. Carla

Sounds great, though he'll make it so bloody. Someone should make a movie on Father Maximilian Kolbe.

September 9, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  15. Laughing

I was/am fairly certain this has to be a joke. Mel Gibson as Judah Maccabee? It's like Goebbels doing a spot for J-Date. I can't wait for the onion to make a joke article about this, or maybe they'll just repost this

September 9, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
    • William Demuth

If it is its gallows humour!

It truly boggles my mind. This guy and his old man a rabid dog Christians of the worst order.

Some want to thump you with the Bible, but this nut has the Bible on the end of a chain with nasty spikes on it, and he wants to use it to beat Jewish kids to death.

I wonder what Danny Glover thinks of him!

September 9, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
  16. Movie Lover

This is so offensive on many levels. How do people like Mel Gibson keep getting jobs?

September 9, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
  17. The NetProphet

I can find no where in the bible Where Jesus called his disciples to hate any one, He taught to forgive your those who hate you and to bless them that attack you. the exact words are in Matthew 5:44 " But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you and pray for them which despitefully use you and persecute you." I am so sorry that the name of Jesus has been used by some Christians to further there own selfish desires. We who are followers of the teachings in the bible spend so much time not doing what the Lord clearly teaches. To the world I say stop hating each other and do good help those in need, feed people who are hungry, do good to all you meet, Jesus never spoke out against any one except to the religious people at that time and it is not any different now ! From Gods perspective we all are guilty of crimes against GOD and man. I pray that all people stop and think does hate, greed,selfishness solve any thing?
    And to the Christians ? can you really say that you are walking in the truth, when you lie cheat and steal or act like the world around you? we are called to be a light but yet we are no different that the rest of the world, is it any wonder the world see you as hypocrites Does not the Jesus warn about the "yeast of the Pharisees" in Luke 12:1 Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees which is hypocrisy!

September 9, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • kimsland

So you are saying we should ALL be like jesus?
      We should do what we feel is best and also try to help others when we can?

Thanks for that. I thought you were some type of churchy guy, or worse, you were religious! Dread the thought.
      Yes I'm happy to be looked upon as the best thing that ever happened, for my first thing I'd like ALL religion banned.

Please follow me

September 9, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
    • YouIdiot!

@netprophet...HUH?

"And to the Christians ? can you really say that you are walking in the truth, when you lie cheat and steal or act like the world around you?"

REALLY?

Is Madoff a christian? How about looking up "ponzi schemes" to see a few, ahem, "christians" that have, ahem, " jewish names". Or look up bank and insurance frauds, I'm sure there are NO jews there!

Oh look! Rabbi Moshe Zigelman going back to prison for his tax evasion scheme. Now don't tell me he is really a christian. ;)

September 9, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  18. Doc Vestibule

I heard the movie's working ti.tle is "The Passion of the Christ-Killers".

September 9, 2011 at 11:37 am |
    • Colin

Doc, that made me laugh out loud.

September 9, 2011 at 11:44 am |
  19. DamianKnight

...really? Mel Gibson is the one? Is this to apologize for the anti-semitic remarks?

Oh and FIRST!

September 9, 2011 at 11:26 am |
    • DamianKnight

Ah crap, William beat me to it. Curses! Foiled again! And I woulda gotten away with it too if it hadn't been for you snooping kids!

September 9, 2011 at 11:27 am |
    • William Demuth

DamianKnight

I have divine insight as to when a new story is to post

September 9, 2011 at 11:37 am |
  20. William Demuth

And Heinrich Himmler is doing a Jewish Aerobics workout tape!

The world has gone mad!

September 9, 2011 at 11:26 am |
    • Carla

William, he wasn't that bad. I think he wants to amend. And Jewish-themed movies sell and last because those are instructive to all mankind.

September 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm |