home
RSS
September 15th, 2011

1. Muneef

O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted.(13)

September 19, 2011 at 9:59 pm |
  2. nucmeddave

It's my humble opinion that when you trim the fat, there are 3 types of people on this planet....1) people who need an explanation for life and death and seek it through religion and faith. 2) people who need an explanation for life and death and seek it through science and fact. 3) people like me (you can call me agnostic if labels are a requirement for opinions) who don't really care how we got here or where we are going...the key in my eye is to just appreciate what I have, no matter what means I have it...I'm sure a "Supreme Being" would afford us this luxury, and if not, then that "God" is flawed with human emotions such as spite. Both sides here (religion vs. science) is spewing enough inane rhetoric in these blogs that you almost collectively make the ageless divide between Dems. and Reps. look palatable!

September 19, 2011 at 11:42 am |
  3. Myto Senseworth

God....what a concept. If only it were all true.

September 19, 2011 at 9:59 am |
  4. Kenrick Benjamin

Magic that is why I asked the Questions I asked, because it is written seek and he shall find.

September 19, 2011 at 9:27 am |
  5. Pete Beck

Mr. Branson and I agree on the belief in evolution. Some non-denominational Christian fundamentalists have a problem with it out of pure ignorance, but there is no conflict between one's faith in God and the science of evolution. Mainstream Christians don't see a problem at all.

September 19, 2011 at 12:22 am |
    • Larry Kane

I don't consider myself a literalist when it comes to Biblical interpretation. Three comments on the proposed acceptance of evolutionary belief, however, are offered. One, the concept that life inexorably progressed from "simple" to complex lifeforms simply under the guidance of the principle of natural selection is a singular and extraordinary concept within the sciences, to the best of my knowledge. Two, the core principles of Darwinian evolution do not address and have no answer for the question of where life came from or how it originated in the first instance. Moreover, even in its simplest one-celled forms, life is amazingly complex. Three, it remains a fact that most proponents of Darwinian evolution consider their belief to leave no role at all for a supernatural creator. Thus, belief in both God and evolution appear to be oxymoronic.

September 19, 2011 at 8:16 am |
    • AGuest9

The difficulty with the literal translation of the bible becomes a real issue with the intertwining with church doctrine. The most glaring, if you ignore the creation myth, the flood, tower of babel, etc. of the Old Testament is the worship of Mother Mary. To claim the status of "Ever-Virgin" and simultaneous promoting the gospels, in which Mark 6:3 lists James, Joses, Judas and Simon as his brothers as well as asking "Are not his sisters here with us?" creates an incongruity which cannot be rectified.

September 19, 2011 at 9:29 am |
    • JohnR

@Larry Kane – (1) Life does not always proceed from the simply to the complex. Google seasquirt evolution. But of course, complex life can't come about all at once. Therefore, truly complex structures generally come later than simpler structures. That's quite commonsensical. (2) Natural selection was only part of the story even for Darwin. You need genetic variation for there to be ANY selection. Besides natural selection, there is also se-xual selection and genetic drift. Some proponents of complexity theory feel that certain principles of self-organization may also play a role. (3) Yes, evolutionary theory does not address life's origins. It also doesn't address aerodynamics. To reject a theory because it doesn't explain something it was never meant to explain is rather, um, odd. (4) I may be the only self-described agnostically tinged neo-animist in the pro-evolution community. It doesn't bother me that other evolutionists aren't agnostically tinged neo-animists. I think for myself and they are welcome to think for themselves!

September 19, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • hahaha

There is a seroious conflict with one's belief in the bible. You can beleive in a god, but there is no evidence to what this protohypothesis god is so why worship it.

September 20, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
  6. Richard S Kaiser

I Love GOD because I am.
    I fear GOD because I am not.
    I love all things created and established from GOD's Willingness.
    I fear mankind's embittered opulence to condemn their own kind.
    I love and do fear much most of the time.

I can do without many things most would need.
    I can do little without the willingness to want GOD's peacefulness.
    You can do as well without the need for many things.
    You can do likewise little if GOD's peacefulness were not amid you.
    Together we need each other for apart we cannot climb over the walls of embittered emotionalism.

GOD was before and with and ever after thee.
    His 1st born son was and is and ever shall be.
    The answers to our questions shall ever set everyone free.
    Sometimes harsh yet most times simply.
    Forever are we upon Life’s Cosmology Tree

By Richard S. Kaiser

September 18, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
  7. Richard S Kaiser

A new day has dawned and the sun is still aloof. Clouds are streaming by ever so slowly in the sky. 1st mug of coffee almost down the hatch. Writing a few words now to send meditations aloft.

I so do love GOD the Father of all Gods and sole creator of the first atomic cosmos which manifested and has formed our celestial cosmos. WE are born of evolutionalized cosmological stardust upon the wastes of priorness beckonings. I do so love my body's God and His people who live rather harmoniously inside of me. Know them I no longer do, but I do so hope to get reaquainted someday soon when I pass on.

My body's God is not your body's God. They are each different yet of their Father who is GOD, the very first One. They live so very deeply inside of all things we call as being "atoms". We are their temples and buildings for so it is written; 1Cr 3:9 “For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, [ye are] God's building.”

In our kind's philosophical sciences, we tend ever to make general some theories of relativities. The Gods born of GOD are alightened by some and disheartened by others and still, they allow us to ponder away no matter the wrongs. GOD of the Celestial Cosmos has made our way clearly yet we muddle in our puddles of disharmony and do not unite. Soon, one hopes, we will see a clear way and gain the means to follow our dreams onward and into the depths of outer space as a builder and not a destroyer that wars always have brought and put stain upon our roots.

Atheists are for the most part goodly people and the religiously emphatic are likewise as goodliness people. The commoners of both branches of Life should find the "olive branch" within and between them, they should break bread upon the yet unspoken virtues that commonalities ought and do render.

Love therefore your own body's God and find hope in another body's God. The hindsights of the Word, be it written or be it spoken, is what truly counts. All Words are from Godliness' desires and many unthoughtful Words are based upon embitterness with little thoughtfulness regarding one's stance on the embittered subject at hand. We tend to speak before we think.

When one thinks about things while speaking or writing, a first step is taken. In writing one should proof read ones words before making it public but in speaking; our spoken Word is where we open a doorway to the abasement of other's ridiculing or perhaps kindness' commentaries. Do people need hope to see a bright future? Do they put faith upon those who rule to bring their bright future into abundance? Do people need guidance in order to have a family worthy of being remembered by its' furthering generations? Are we within the U.S.A. not the summation of our parts and do we not declare ourselves to being Liberty's freedom-bases for the whole world to see and voice about? Is democracy worth more than our Republic-born nation?

September 18, 2011 at 11:31 am |
  8. John Richardson

Since Chad, in his infinite illiteracy, is once again trying to make Einstein out to be one of his, I offer the following treasure trove of Einstein quotes on the relevant matters: http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/quotes_einstein.html

September 18, 2011 at 9:50 am |
    • Sir Richard Branson

The first one pretty much sums it up:

“It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated."

What more do you need?

September 18, 2011 at 11:25 am |
    • John Richardson

What are you afraid of? Read them all!

September 18, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • John Richardson

Oh, and among other things, the quote you gave doesn't even make clear what the lie was, let alone what the truth is. If you read all the quotes, you will see that Einstein unambiguously rejected such notions as a personal god who doles out rewards and punishment and any notion of an afterlife.

September 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
    • Chad

@John Richardson "Since Chad, in his infinite illiteracy, is once again trying to make Einstein out to be one of his..."

I did? I thought I only provided this one quote w/out comment?
      "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." – Albert Einstein"

Perhaps you could provide a link to my claim? lol

September 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • John Richardson

Ok, Chad. What WAS your purpose for posting that one quote, one of very few which, when taken out of context, makes Einstein sound like a conventional theist?

September 18, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • tallulah13

If you read the quotes, Chad, you will find that Einstein is pretty agnostic, falling to the side of atheism.

I think this quote says it all about the way christians try to claim that Einstein was a believer:

“It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.”

Albert Einstein, in a letter March 24, 1954; from Albert Einstein the Human Side, Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, eds., Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1981, p. 43.

September 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Chad

Albert Einstein was not an atheist.

September 18, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
    • Chad

There is some really incredibly annoying filtering going on with this blog..

September 18, 2011 at 9:12 pm |
    • Chad

Albert Einstein was not a believer in the God of Abraham, so was neither a Christian nor a religious Jew.

September 18, 2011 at 9:15 pm |
    • Chad

I dont know what's up with this site filtering. The short form of my nicely formatted response that for some reason this site wont allow a post of, was this:

Albert Einstein didnt believe in the God of Abraham, he wasnt a believing Jew, certainly not a Christian.

He definitely wasnt an atheist and railed against them in many quotes. Especially with their attempt to use his writings as proof of no God.

He believed in a god that revealed himself in the orderly harmony of the universe." I see a pattern, but my imagination cannot picture the maker of that pattern. I see a clock, but I cannot envision the clockmaker. The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions, so how can it conceive of a God, before whom a thousand years and a thousand dimensions are as one?”

September 18, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
    • Helpful Hints

Chad,

Bad letter combinations / words to avoid if you want to get past the CNN automatic filter:
      Many, if not most, are buried within other words, so use your imagination.
      You can use dashes, spaces, or other characters to modify the "offending" letter combinations.
      ---
      ar-se.....as in ar-senic.
      co-ck.....as in co-ckatiel, co-ckatrice, co-ckleshell, co-ckles, etc.
      co-on.....as in rac-oon, coc-oon, etc.
      cu-m......as in doc-ument, accu-mulate, circu-mnavigate, circu-mstances, cu-mbersome, cuc-umber, etc.
      cu-nt.....as in Scu-ntthorpe, a city in the UK famous for having problems with filters...!
      ef-fing...as in ef-fing filter
      ft-w......as in soft-ware, delft-ware, swift-water, etc.
      ho-mo.....as in ho-mo sapiens or ho-mose-xual, ho-mogenous, etc.
      ho-rny....as in tho-rny, etc.
      jacka-ss...yet "ass" is allowed by itself.....
      ja-p......as in j-apanese, ja-pan, j-ape, etc.
      koo-ch....as in koo-chie koo..!
      nip-ple
      pi-s......as in pi-stol, lapi-s, pi-ssed, therapi-st, etc.
      p-orn… as in p-ornography
      pr-ick....as in pri-ckling, pri-ckles, etc.
      ra-pe.....as in scra-pe, tra-peze, gr-ape, thera-peutic, sara-pe, etc.
      se-x......as in Ess-ex, s-exual, etc.
      sh-@t.....but shat is okay – don't use the @ symbol there.
      sl-ut
      sn-atch
      sp-ic.....as in disp-icable, hosp-ice, consp-icuous, susp-icious, sp-icule, sp-ice, etc.
      ti-t......as in const-itution, att-itude, ent-ities, alt-itude, beat-itude, etc.
      tw-at.....as in wristw-atch, nightw-atchman, etc.
      va-g......as in extrava-gant, va-gina, va-grant, va-gue, sava-ge, etc.
      who-re....as in who're you kidding / don't forget to put in that apostrophe!
      wt-f....also!!!!!!!

There are more, some of them considered "racist", so do not assume that this list is complete.

September 18, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
    • Chad

@helpful
      That makes sense, I will write a short script to detect such letter patterns in a doc 🙂
      (what's hilarious, is my first try at this thank you got bounced because it had the word "doc-ument" in it.. lol)

thanks!

September 18, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • John Richardson

Correct, Chad, he was neither atheist nor conventional theist, ie someone who believes in a personal god. Although he espoused a belief in Spinoza's god in one quote, he rejected the term pantheist in another. I suspected he may simply not known that pantheist more or less means "believer in a god like the one Spinoza posits". Or perhaps he held enough of a dualistic belief in the separation of a creator from its creation to be called a deist.

September 19, 2011 at 7:50 am |
  9. Sir Richard Branson

Y'all just a bunch of haters.

I'm headin' to Malta to hang with my homies and do some blunt.

Piece!!

September 18, 2011 at 3:00 am |
  10. &&

Do us favor, scroll-up to the original post. If you could find a single phrase that claims the existence of God. Go back to me when you find one.

September 18, 2011 at 2:00 am |
    • @@

lol
      I said that,not because of your post, but because those things are what almost every atheist talks about. If you are going to call all atheists liars, the only likely thing for them to have been lying about are the things they talk about.
      The non-existence of your "god" is pretty much the definition of atheism. Look up the damn word.
      There is not much ALL atheists are going to be talking about as a group, because a lack of a belief in a deity is the only thing that defines them as a group. There are no other commonalities to speak of.
      Now do you see why you should just quit being mealy-mouthed and just try to answer the question as clearly and forthrightly as possible? Otherwise why even bother to post replies? You start a dialogue but refuse to hold up your end of it. Who wants to talk to someone like that? It only invites scorn.
      Look at yourself. Is that how you think people should act? You should be ashamed of yourself. Talk like an adult.

September 18, 2011 at 2:25 am |
    • &&

Are you saying that atheists have been the one claiming the non-existence of God rather than theist claiming the God's existence?

September 20, 2011 at 5:59 am |
  11. PeksTroll

You've missed it again, buddy. I see nobody here speaking to you except me. Maybe it's the reason why you summoned me. For you to have a companion in misery.

September 18, 2011 at 1:40 am |
    • Skep

lol

September 18, 2011 at 1:44 am |
    • @@

ha ha ha ha ha 😀
      misery is a fun place! LOL
      I think someone is projecting.

September 18, 2011 at 2:29 am |
  12. GOD HERSELF

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU BELIEVE , i ONLY CARE WHAT YOU DO!

September 18, 2011 at 1:00 am |
  13. Why o Why

Why must evolution make a fundamental assumption that God does not exist??????

September 17, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
    • What

Then on what basis do you then apply the laws of logic?

September 17, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
    • Pesky bird

@ what-
      I use matter in motion for my fundamental assumption

September 17, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
    • Hear o Hear

Why o Why: "Why must evolution make a fundamental assumption that God does not exist??????"

It doesn't!!!!!!

You need some information about what evolution is about. A class? A book? A Google search, even?

September 17, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
    • What

Hey-Pesky bird

anyhoo -what tools do you then use to reason? guess u don't need reason? from whence comest thine ability to use logic??

September 17, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
    • Pesky bird

@Why O Why

That is what we claim as a naturalistic universe, now go away...

September 17, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
    • what

Pesky-you are making no sense in your argument.

You cannot prove anything without logic and they are not made of matter they apply everywhere at all times.

Logic has to come from an unchanging, sovereign, immaterial Being who is God, do you understand that?

I

September 17, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
    • @@

Logic, reason, and all of science prove that there is no "god". A god of logic would be logical, not impossible. you fail.

September 17, 2011 at 11:58 pm |
    • Pesky bird

@

that is exactly what I am saying all along,I use relativsim that is convienient, now don't get me all started on that bird thing again...

September 18, 2011 at 12:07 am |
    • Pesky bird

Hey What,

When time permits, I will be giving you a101 class on dating methods that I use.

September 18, 2011 at 12:10 am |
    • Skep

Evolution doesn't even mention any deity in any way. Get a clue you ass-wipe.

September 18, 2011 at 12:48 am |
    • LT. DAN

Because you can't have one with the other. Religion teaches that God created the earth and all of life in 7 days and humans were here since the beginning. We know now through geology, biology and related sciences that the earth has been around for over 800 billion years, and humans are only the earths most recent inhabitants. If man was aware that dinosaurs walked the earth before man then they would have written it into the bible to explain it away, but at the time the books of the bible were being written they did not have paleontologist. Look at the wonder of life and evolution. The best example is the bird poop moth of the last decade. A new species of moth has been discovered. The moth looks like bird poop. Because they look like bird poop, they are not eaten by birds. This recessive trait has become more and more prevalent over time. The moths that have markings on them that look like poop have lived and prospered and now is its own species of moths. That is evolution. It is there for all who look.

September 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Why o Why

@Dan

If what you saying is right, did it take billions of years for an intelligent creature to walk and talk and fly to the moon only in the past few thousands of years?

You might marvel at the bird poop bug, what marvels me is the intelligence behind this creation.
      How did our solar system align itself so perfectly for life on planet earth? It cannot be chance. the human creation cannot exist without intelligence behind it. It is too complex to be simplified that it was naturalistic.

September 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • Why o Why

Also, when I see a a work of art, or when my computer is able to process terabytes of data to give me information, i know there is intelligence behind all this. When there is intelligence behind the creation of inanimate object such a computer, how could a being think that the greatest of all creation-human being was just all matter+time+chance, There must be a creator with infinite wisdom to have aligned so many factors for this universe and created so many millions of beings, species,plants. And chose to give only one of its creation the sixth sense.

September 18, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • Flash

Why o Why, "How did our solar system align itself so perfectly for life on planet earth?"

The alignment of our solar system resulted in what we've got. If it was a bit different, we would not be here... or perhaps something 'like' us would be here... only better - a more stable planet, with fewer natural calamities - inhabitants with larger brains and better brain power, stronger bodies, longer lifespans to use to store knowledge and figure things out, lack of destructive parasites and viruses.

You misunderstand the idea of 'chance'.

September 18, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • tallulah13

Why, life exists on this planet in all it's forms, past and present, because of the alignment of the solar system, not vice versa. Who knows what other forms of life exist on other worlds (and I find it impossible to believe that there aren't other life forms out there, given the size and diversity of the universe). It's rather arrogant on your part to assume that the universe was conveniently created just for us.

September 18, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • LT. DAN

@why,
      That train of thought is far from logic. For years man would take things that they could not understand and interject god. "ohh why isn't the rain coming and why is my crop dying" -God is angry. "Why did my child die of polio" – God wanted to call home his child. Just because you can't explain why the universe is vast and random, does not mean that some sort of "God" had to do it. The intelligent design argument ( and that is what it is and argument, not a theory" is so silly. To me it makes perfect sense that a universe / galaxy so vast and endless produced 1 planet that could nurture life. Or should I say 1 that we know of. It is just the rule of numbers and chance. There are quadrillions of planets that we can see and even more that we can't. The law of averages would say there are many other planets with life on them. They may be higher life forms with advanced thought, or they could still be primitive. Either way it does not solve anything to say that a "God" did it. That is too simplistic. It makes more sense that the God answer is all that someone can wrap their mind around. I mean if an intelligent being made us it would have been very different. Do you think that we would poop, and fart. We would have wings and fly like angels and we would all be perfect. We would not have starvation, kids dying from genetic diseases, nor wars. Would an intelligent designer create genetic disease that make your skin sluff off. How about down syndrome. How about Necrotizing fasciitis. Yeah that was a good one mister God.

September 18, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Why O Why

@Dan

Your worldview of 'Chance' is rather too simplistic for a complex creation like that of a 'Human being', I would rather focus the discussion on the powers bestowed on mankind in terms of intelligence and have someone think how this could all have been at the end of day time+matter+chance?

September 18, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • tallulah13

Why, because you don't understand it, it doesn't mean that "god" did it. Have you ever considered the route that humanity made, from the dawn of life til now? Every step along the the road of survival required adaptation and change. We are what we are because survival required it.

September 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • AGuest9

tallulah13, I think this is why religion appeals to so many. They feel that it's all just too big to comprehend, and if they can't comprehend it [or EVEN their preacher with a Dr in divinity], no one can. This simple-mindedness is encouraged in these churches, especially from what I've seen of the 8 southern states I've been in. Movies like "Angles & Demons" appeal to this, showing that a god is present inside the technology, in this instance, within the ATLAS project at CERN. This concept that "we aren't supposed to know or understand some things" is also pervasive. It's sad.

September 18, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
    • Credenza

Two articles I read recently – [
      1] Scientists say that the judging by the earth's relationship to the rest of the Cosmos there must have been a creator of supreme intelligence. They give evidence to support the likelihood this. [www.godandscience.org]
      [2] Scientists are "close, very close'to proving that there IS life after death. Google it.

September 18, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
    • Flash

Credenza,

What else do you expect when you go to a biased, Christian creation-science website? There is other information around, you know.

September 18, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
    • tallulah13

Hey cred, give us the link so we can all read this wonderful news. I'd love to read about the objective, non-biased scientific reasoning behind all this.

September 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
    • Q

The intelligent creator arguments here are akin to looking at a puddle of water and then proclaiming the hole was clearly "designed" to hold that precise volume and shape of water because it fits so perfectly...

September 19, 2011 at 12:33 am |
  14. Carlies Saga

"I like to keep up on current events and people in the news, myself."

That's the best thing you can do to keep yourself updated and informed in "a tiny, tiny world" you live in.

"That's hardly a reason to celebrate"

I don't celebrate on other people's misery. Otherwise, "I pity" them. My heart bleeds for them.

September 17, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
    • tallulah13

I think you've said that. A few times. We got it.

September 17, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
    • Carlies Saga

I've been hitting the reply button but CNN kept on posting it as a new comment. That's why

September 17, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
    • Skep

Yeah, it's all CNN's fault. Right. *rolls eyes*

September 18, 2011 at 12:49 am |
    • PeksTroll

It puzzled me how can you make "roll eyes" when you're blind to see that it really CNN's fault.

September 18, 2011 at 1:15 am |
    • Skep

So we should add "Carlies Saga" and "pekStroll" to the list of herbert juarez aliases? Thanks, herbie, you love bug.

September 18, 2011 at 1:24 am |
  15. Carlies Saga

"I like to keep up on current events and people in the news, myself."

"That's hardly a reason to celebrate"

I don't celebrate on other people's misery. Otherwise, "I pity" them.

September 17, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
    • tallulah13

You are a strange and angry person.

September 17, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
    • Carlies Saga

I maybe "strange" but not agry. I'm a kind-hearted person

September 18, 2011 at 12:03 am |
    • Skep

I'm not feeling the love, here.

September 18, 2011 at 12:50 am |
    • PeksTroll

Sorry to break the news to you but FYI..you've lost the ability feel (love) it for quite a long time, buddy.

September 18, 2011 at 1:19 am |
    • Skep

What's wrong, herbert? Can't face us after we pwned you into the ground?

September 18, 2011 at 1:22 am |
    • herbert juarez

@skep
      Never heard of you before,who is us?I have a life and limited time so i only post as your border fence hoppin herbie, sorry you get confused by others, not my problem you don't know sh8t from shinola.God bless

September 18, 2011 at 7:00 am |
  16. Venus

@Chad

Kudos!!!!

September 17, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
    • John Richardson

There ya go, Chad! Just because you revealed yourself as an illiterate idiot doesn't mean all is lost. Your chief pompom girl is still cheering for you! Who knows? After you've been properly relegated to a league you can compete it, she might even have something other than blind faith to cheer about!

September 18, 2011 at 9:33 am |
  17. Laurel Kornfeld

We are NOT in a solar system of 8 planets. To the person who said this and asked why about Pluto, the answer is, the demotion of Pluto is not fact but just one side in an ongoing debate. Only four percent of the International Astronomical Union voted to demote Pluto, and most are not planetary scientists. Their decision was immediately rejected by hundreds of professional astronomers led by New Horizons Principal Investigator Dr. Alan Stern. Dwarf planets ARE planets too; Stern is the person who coined the term, and he meant it to refer to a third class of planets in addition to terrestrials and jovians, small planets large enough to be rounded by their own gravity but not large enough to gravitationally dominate their orbits. He never intended for dwarf planets to not be considered planets at all. Counting dwarf planets as a subclass of planets, our solar system has at least 16 planets and possibly 50 or more, and Pluto is definitely one of them.

September 17, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
    • tallulah13

Thank you for standing up for Pluto. Some of use are still pretty miffed about the downgrade.

September 18, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
  18. Carlies Saga

@Tallulah..

I live in the world where 84% (of the entire earth) lives.

@Ali

And YOU,,,,,like TALLULAH, can't handle Dhard Truth (and) that in America MAJORITY always WINS.

My heart bleeds for both of you. Hu hu hu!

September 17, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Are you retarded?

September 18, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Carlies Saga

Nope I'm not..Apparently it was you, based on your (Tom Piper'Sr.) father testimony. Wait...it's true?

September 19, 2011 at 2:28 am |
    • Carlies Saga

Nope I'm not..Apparently it was you, based on your (Tom Piper'Sr.) father testimony. Wait...it's true.

September 19, 2011 at 2:29 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The evidence says otherwise, Carlie. Anyone who can't figure out how to post is obviously deficient mentally.

Work on that, why don't you? Maybe your God can fix you.

September 19, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
    • Tom Piper'Sr.

Ey! Carlie how dare you talking to my son like that?! You don't have any idea what he gone through all his life. Good thing he managed to escape from the asylum where he was put in quarantine. You should be in his shoe before you judge him.

Tom Tom my son, pls. give me the straitjacket that you were wearing when you escaped, I need it to get my refund. I beg of you.

I will not tell anybody about your secret. PROMISE!

September 20, 2011 at 7:45 am |
  19. Green hernet

"Science will always trump religion in the long run so there is hope"

@hero blue

Easier said than done. Science in hand with Art and Mathematics have been trying hard to to do that. Together they've been doing and giving out their best to achieve a common goal, to "trump religion".

Basically they have the same vision, to realize it "in the long run" and like you they are "sure" of it.

Unforyunately however, Galelio (circle earth that latter proved to be sphere), Pythagoras (Faithagorean Theory) , Da Vinci (Moaning Lisa) , Darwin (Theory of Evilution) and many others don't live to see it. How about you my hero? Do you think you would? How long you and non-believers like you would take advantage the infinity of the (in the long run) pharase? Coz you may agree or not but for me, 2,000+ years is NOT a short run.

September 17, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
    • *frank*

I don't mean this as an insult, but you sound extremely stupid.

September 17, 2011 at 9:57 pm |
    • #prank#

"but you sound extremely stupid."

@frank

YOU, using name calling as valid argument doesn't surprise anyone here.

You've been doing it to troll posters that post something that you don't agree with, instead of intellectually debating on the issue.

And...."I don't mean this as an insult,"

YOU'RE LYING! YOU ARE a PATHETIC LIAR!!! You must be an atheist, a TYPICAL one.

September 17, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
    • sigmundfreud

Green Hernet: Your statement shows that your ability to write sensible English is non-existent.
      Either English is not your first language, or you must be on drugs.

September 17, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
    • @@

So you're saying atheists are lying about being atheists? That we're secretly Christians, Muslims, etc.?

If you can prove anyone's lying about your inability to prove that your god exists or anything like that, then why don't you list them for us? SHOW these lies! Point them out! Lay it all out for everybody you lying little know-nothing troll!

September 17, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
    • &&

Nope! atheists lie on anything to further their cause.

September 17, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
    • @@

Thanks for proving me right. I knew you could do it!

September 17, 2011 at 11:55 pm |
    • *frank*

These base calumnies are an outrage...an outrage, I say!

September 18, 2011 at 12:07 am |
    • =prank=

@ @@..

Did *frank* mentioned about God's non-existence when I told him that he was lying?

You're hallucinating. Take your meds.

September 18, 2011 at 12:15 am |
    • &&

Don't mention it..I should be the one to thank you for proving people right everytime you hit the reply button letting your fingers punch the keyboards while your brain is taking a nap.

September 18, 2011 at 12:25 am |
    • &&

My reply above was meant for @@

September 18, 2011 at 12:29 am |
    • @@

I'll say it again just to grind it up your nostrils a little further...

September 18, 2011 at 12:36 am |
    • Skep

>&&
      >Nope! atheists lie on anything to further their cause.

Then show us these lies. Isn't that what everyone's talking about? You're just lying when you say atheists lie on anything.
      And, just for your pin-headed information, atheists do not have a cause. There is nothing to follow as an atheist.
      You totally clueless religious trolls are so pathetic. You never know what the hell you're talking about and don't mind lying like little kids to try and bluff your way past the hard questions we throw at you.
      Very immature. Try facing us instead of ducking and running while hurling insults and lies at us as you run away.

September 18, 2011 at 12:56 am |
    • #prank#

So when you've been going around b-u-l-l-ying, mo-c-k-i-ng, fa-ls-ely-ac-cu-sing, ri-dic-ul-ing, name ca-l-l-ing, po-s-ters on this board that don't conform with your thoughts especially to Adelina (aka Carla, Happy Meal etc.) calling her a c-n-t is a compliminent that deserves ap-prec-iat-ion and utmost respe-ct?

But when somebody here would throw the favor back to you, it would ta-nt-amo-unt to character as-s-a-s-si-nation that merits and out-ra-ge?

FYI..you don't dominate ar-r-og-ance and s-a-rcas-m. But for you to realize that, it requires you to take the dosage of your own medicine.

But wait..Did your mother tell you to play chess rather than basketball or football, Didn't she?

September 18, 2011 at 1:05 am |
    • #prank#

That was meant for (you) *frank*

September 18, 2011 at 1:10 am |
    • Skep

So, prank, who exactly are you talking to? Me?
      I'm not falsely accusing anyone. YOU ARE.
      If you want bullying, mocking / ridiculing, or name calling, just keep it up and you'll get some.

What makes me laugh is that you are admitting that you are doing it for no reason other than your erroneous sense of vengeance and not based on anything honorable. We mock you because you are not honorable, you lie, you pretend to know stuff when you obviously don't, and you act like a little kid ALL THE TIME.

How old are you. Really? I dare you to be honest for once.

September 18, 2011 at 1:16 am |
    • Skep

frank can take care of himself. I'm addressing your lack of maturity and your huge folly in coming here as you are.
      This is not a church where everyone pretends. This is a blog where we demand the most honest and insightful answers you can bring to the table.
      If this seems like too much for someone, they get a dose of righteous scorn right in the face. If you can't act any better than what you have been doing, "prank"/"herbert"/"Chad"/"louie"/etc, then all you're going to get is more of the same.
      Guaranteed.

September 18, 2011 at 1:21 am |
    • PeksTroll

You've missed it again, buddy. I see nobody here speaking to you except me. Maybe it's the reason why you su-m-mo-ned me. For you to have a companion in misery.

September 18, 2011 at 1:54 am |
    • John Richardson

@Green Hernet All we can do is our part in the long struggle to make this a more rational world. We won't see the culmination of the effort. But religious people won't live to see the day of triumph they keep yammering about, nor will the be resurrected to see it. They are devoting the one life they have to a silly lie and that's what is really sad.

September 18, 2011 at 9:37 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What frank said. "Extremely stupid" would actually be a giant leap up for Carlie.

September 18, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I doubt any of the bozos p*ssing and moaning about frank even know what "calumny" means.

Then again, Carlie, prank, and && don't really understand how to use utensils, either.

September 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Mirriam A. Encart

Calumny-noun
      -Other term for Tom Tom

Tom Tom is a calumny

Calumny-(verb)
      -is what Tom Tom have been throwing here.

Tom tom is throwing calumnies to posters that he disagree with instead of exchanging intellectual thoughts, insights arguments etc.

Calumny-(adjective)
      -is what Tom Tom looks like

Tom Tom looks like a calumny

Synonyms: (one item found) Yellowish Sh-it.

September 19, 2011 at 3:02 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Thank you for proving my point, honey. You're a peach.

September 19, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
    • Tom Piper'Sr.

You did an excellent job jeering at people down here. You've showed preeminence in indiocy. Way to go my son.

September 20, 2011 at 7:59 am |
    • Tom Piper'Sr.

Sans the letter "n".

September 20, 2011 at 8:03 am |
    • Green hernet

Sorry for the late response

@prank..

I know that you were pranking *frank* and a dimwit sc-umbag like him perfectly deserves it. But why generalize all? There maybe a lot like him in their group like, sigmund who prefers to be a spell/grammar checker than a debater; or others like @@, Skep, that give too much focus on sarcasm of other posters instead on sticking on the topic; and last but not the least, someone like Tom Tom, that always choses the easy way by attacking the person rather than making a valid argument coz he has nothing in his bag except his tool.

But you should consider people like John Richardson who would always maintain an a lively and fruitful discussion . Although there is only few like him in their group but we must follow God's example in Genesis 18:32.

And to the rest (not mentioned) , stop trolling around.

September 20, 2011 at 9:27 am |
    • Green hernet

@John

I feel about your cause as I feel ours. But we should accept the fact than when it comes to a certain belief even unbelief to be accepted require acceptability. And it can only be distinguish through popularity and numbers.

And in that aspect we believers have been triumphant for more than 2,000 years, wailing's not needed. On the other hand it's what you have been hoping for more than 2,000 yrs. but never been materialized.

But you could go on hoping for. Like dreaming, hoping is for free.

September 20, 2011 at 9:59 am |
  20. Green hernet

"We need to create a world where evolution is not seen as a belief but as fact."

@hero blue
    Evolution was created but the world has spat it out. But it keep on sticking to God-allergic lungs of FEW individuals like a phlegm.

September 17, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
    • sigmundfreud

@greenhernet. Go take your meds. Your language is crude (where it makes any sense at all). And the so-called "few" individuals includes 98% of all scientists and 98% of all people with brains.

I guess whee you come from, people with brains must be few indeed.

September 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
    • Simon Fraud says...

@sigmund..

You've taken all the meds, that you left nothing for greenhernet. But that would be okay, you extremely need them for your God-allergic brain that it may not continue to shrink to the size of a quark.

September 17, 2011 at 11:35 pm |