home
RSS
Do loved ones bid farewell from beyond the grave?
Death doesn't sever the connection between loved ones, say people who've experienced so-called crisis apparitions.
September 26th, 2011

Do loved ones bid farewell from beyond the grave?

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - Nina De Santo was about to close her New Jersey hair salon one winter's night when she saw him standing outside the shop's glass front door.

It was Michael. He was a soft-spoken customer who'd been going through a brutal patch in his life. His wife had divorced him after having an affair with his stepbrother, and he had lost custody of his boy and girl in the ensuing battle.

He was emotionally shattered, but De Santo had tried to help. She'd listened to his problems, given him pep talks, taken him out for drinks.

When De Santo opened the door that Saturday night, Michael was smiling.

Read the full story on crisis apparitions
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Death

1. Randall Kleffman

There are many causes of sleep deprivation. The stresses of daily life may intrude upon our ability to sleep well, or perhaps we trade sleep for more work or play. We may have medical or mental-health conditions that disrupt our sleep, and be well aware that we are sleep-deprived...`..`

Till next time
    <http://healthfitnessbook.com/index.php

July 4, 2013 at 10:32 am |
  2. Casper

@Chartreuxe, you said:

"A true Christian practices what He preached rather than uses His Word to exclude others from His Light and His Love."

They are the one who exclude themselves for God's Light and Love. I only second the motion.

You also said that:

"Atheists can be brought to believe, but not by what you are doing."

Neither you nor me could do that. Absolutely, that is a hopeless case. It takes God to make that happen.

October 3, 2011 at 4:14 am |
  3. Nat Q

Why is this stupid article STILL being promoted as "news" a week later?

September 30, 2011 at 11:26 am |
  4. Leroy

There is no ordinary or natural communication between the dead and the living without meddling in occult.

September 29, 2011 at 4:37 am |
    • John Richardson

Assuming ANY of it is true, what you say is not true. Lots of the reported events are spontaneous and occur to people who by no means dabble in the occult.

September 29, 2011 at 8:24 am |
  5. Reality

Sleep deprivation is quite common amongst family members planning and organizing and attending a funeral. And the number one symptom of sleep deprivation is? Hallucinations!!!!

Next topic!!!!!

September 28, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
    • Free

I think the same goes for night terrors. The mind is notoriously untrustworthy which makes it rather ironic when hard core believers point this out to skeptics while defending their own beliefs as being based on their personal perceptions.

'Feeling' that the Holy Spirit is real = OK, but 'reasoning' that the Holy Spirit isn't real = not OK?!?

September 28, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
    • John Richardson

As someone who has multiple sleep disorders, I can attest to what sleep deprivation can do. But it's generally only severe sleep deprivation that causes hallucinations and there is no indication of any sleep deprivation at all in most cases of crisis apparitions, which generally come to people who don't even know that the person has died, eg the woman in the article whose friend committed suicide.

Sleep paralysis and night terrors are something else again and I can attest to how real the sense of danger, of someone trying to get to you while you are totally vulnerable, can be. And I immediately recognized the bulk of alien abduction stories as classic sleep paralysis/night terror phenomena. Btw, I found a cure for sleep paralysis by watching dogs twitch in their sleep. If you find yourself awake but unable to move, wiggle your finger tips. They are among the least likely body parts to be paralyzed in sleep (simply by being the extremities of extremities). Once you bring your finger movements under conscious control, the all body paralysis almost immediately dissipates. I've done this several times now and it's worked perfectly so far!

September 28, 2011 at 11:43 pm |
    • John Richardson

One of the things that really, really sucks about sleep disorders like apnea is that, unlike in the case of insomnia (which is also on my list), the sleep deprivation can slowly creep up on you as it accu-mulates night by night even though you THINK you've slept at least something like the who night. I, for instance, know that I fully wake up about a half dozen times per night. I didn't know until I had a sleep test done that I stop breathing and therefore pull myself out of restorative sleep between 16 and 32 times PER HOUR. Yep, on average, I get sleep in two to four minute parcels without the cpap machine.

Anyway, one effect is that you can have some pretty harrowing experiences with the near total exhaustion, which mimics clinical depression, that you can easily achieve after nights of this ragged sleep. The obvious things include falling asleep at the wheel, which happened to me a few times over the years and then a whole flurry of times right before I decided I better FINALLY get the sleep study done that a doctor recommended years and years before. But I would also count some hallucinatory stuff as well. Not long ago, I saw a deep black box hovering and spinning in mid air while driving home one evening and then later the same evening kept seeing shadows darting across the kitchen floor and cabinets. While I am more open to paranormal interpretations than many here, I'm 99.99% convinced that these were signs of cu-mulative sleep deprivation.

September 28, 2011 at 11:55 pm |
    • Reality

The US Army some years ago put their troops through escape and evasion training. Typically this amounted to being captured by the "enemy", "imprisoned" and then escaping with the help of friendly locals. Basically you got no sleep and no food for two days. At the end, most of us were hallucinating in the extreme seeing enemy tanks and jeeps in the woods when there were none.

September 29, 2011 at 12:16 am |
    • John Richardson

Oh, and I should add that ALL alleged paranormal phenomena that occur when someone wakes up, as many (though far from all) crisis apparitions appear to do, should be met with an extra dollop of skepticism. I know all to well what's it's like to be sort of awake and sort of still dreaming and I suspect that those for whom it's a once in a lifetime experience read far more into it than is warranted. (On the other hand, I think people should take dreams themselves more seriously, though not of course as part of waking reality.)

@Reality Yeah, it doesn't take long to get really whacked out of your mind by sleep deprivation. Once after a long car trip (and I drove most of the way and can't sleep when others are driving), I looked at a jar of dry macaroni and saw seashells – and I don't mean shell pasta. I'm talking real periwinkles. Even after my wife explained what was really in the jar, I STILL saw seashells. My wife looked at me like I had totally lost my mind. Well, maybe not totally, but I had lost at least some of my mind due to sheer exhaustion. The next morning I checked and there was a confirmed macaroni sighting and no seashells in sight!

September 29, 2011 at 12:33 am |
  6. David Johnson

@Prism 1234

You are an idiot.

Cheers!

September 28, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Dave Dawson

@John

You're an atheist and a TYPICAL one. It's pretty obvious!

October 3, 2011 at 3:17 am |
  7. lastofall

Sorry, but any manner of soothsaying is sin, and the promoting and endorsing of it is an abomination. As for the true Christian mind is to be for a loved one passed away, we are to trust that they are asleep in Christ til His coming, and not to sorrow as other´s who have no hope.

September 28, 2011 at 8:19 am |
    • John Richardson

The relationships between loved ones are none of your, christ's or jehovah's business.

September 28, 2011 at 9:48 am |
    • PRISM 1234

John, in spite of your love for your independence, which makes you reject all your dependence on God who gave you life, YOU ARE NOT INDEPENDENT as you think you are! None of us is. Therefore, since we are so dependant on the One who gave us life, we owe Him everything. SO, everything IS His business, whether you like it or not! That's why your rebellion will have dire consequences!

September 28, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
    • John Richardson

@Prism My independence? Few people are as aware of their intense dependence on the whole world of living and non-living things as a neo-animist is. You in your insolence choose to credit a mythical being for what nature has provided. Fortunately for you, mother nature isn't the sort of psychotically sadistic lunatic your buddy jehovah is said to be. Be thankful for that.

September 28, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • fred

John Richardson
      "mother nature isn't the sort of psychotically sadistic lunatic your buddy jehovah is said to be", John, glad you included the words said to be! You set off a 12 flag that flapped high in the heavens. Jehovah was making a point when he would blot out a peoples. Animism is often thought of as the first stage of religion. Look out your on a slippery slope there.

September 28, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • fred

John Richardson

September 28, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
    • John Richardson

@fred By "said to be", I meant "said to be" in your holy book. I don't think he IS a psychotic monster because I don't think he IS at all. But the actions of Jehovah as described in the bible paint a portrait of a psychopathic megalomaniac.

September 28, 2011 at 11:36 pm |