home
RSS
College football great’s faith helps in battling rare disease
Former Heisman Trophy winner Danny Wuerffel is fighting Guillain-Barre Syndrome.
September 30th, 2011

College football great’s faith helps in battling rare disease

By Rick Martin, CNN

(CNN) - Former NFL quarterback and college football great Danny Wuerffel faced epic battles on the football field, but now he is facing the toughest in his life, and he is relying on his faith to get him through.

Wuerffel recently announced he was hospitalized and diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome, a rare disorder in which the body’s immune system attacks part of the nervous system, according to the National Institute’s of Health website.

GBS, as it’s more commonly called, can be life-threatening. In some cases it can interfere with breathing and is considered a medical emergency, according to the NIH website.

There is no known cure for Guillain-Barre syndrome.

Wuerffel starred as quarterback for the University of Florida from 1993 to 1996.

He led the team to a national championship in 1996 and four Southeastern Conference (SEC) titles.

His leadership, strength and agility at quarterback were recognized in 1996 when he was awarded the Heisman Trophy, college football’s highest honor for an individual player.

Wuerffel was drafted to the NFL by the New Orleans Saints. His pro career was less successful.  He battled concussions, bruises and short-term injuries.

Wuerffel played for several NFL teams.

None of that could prepare him for the fight he is about to embark on.

At a weeklong high school football symposium at Georgia Tech, Wuerffel spoke to the young players about his football experiences and his dream come true of playing in the NFL.

Wuerffel had a soft-spoken approach with the players. He spoke highly of his love for Jesus Christ and his passion to help others.

He shared a story of being hit so hard he lost his sight temporarily.

As the crowd of student athletes listened quietly, Wuerffel went on to describe how a teammate picked him up and helped him adjust his helmet.

He had been hit so hard that his helmet turned all the way around his head.  His face mask was at the back of his head.  The audience broke out in laughter as Wuerffel smiled.

But this latest battle is no laughing matter.

“Definitely, one of the toughest battles I’m facing in my life,” Wuerffel said.

“This has been one of the worst and one of the best experiences in my life. I really feel how often a very driven and active person gets the opportunity to sit back for three months and reflect on priorities."

"Often we don’t get this opportunity, but I’ve been able to learn and refocus a lot of important things in my life, and this would not have been the case if I had remained busy,” Wuerffel said.

“I lived in New Orleans, Louisiana, during Hurricane Katrina. Me and my family, we lost our home six years ago and that was obviously tough, but this hit a little closer to home and having the feeling of being helpless. My faith is getting me through,” Wuerffel said.

At 37, Wuerffel is married with three kids, ages 7, 5, and 2. He not only relies on his Christian faith to get through the tough times, but also, “phenomenal support is getting me through; hundreds and hundreds of cards I have received have been very encouraging.”

“This has been an incredible opportunity for my faith to grow,” Wuerffel said. “I feel that I have had the opportunity to learn more about myself and the Lord in the last three months than the last several years."

“We usually don’t change when we are in business-as-usual mode.”

An athlete accustomed to competing at the highest level, Wuerffel now struggles with the basics. “I’m not doing as much as I used to, I struggle with energy and fatigue at this point."

“The challenging thing about this is the feeling of being helpless. My kids would ask to go to the pool and I couldn’t, and it was even really hard to walk to the bathroom. It’s been three-and-a-half months. As a football player, you get to enjoy quick recoveries,” Wuerffel said

“In football, you can just about endure anything for a short period of time - short burst of energy, pain, and you move on.  This is much more of a slow grind.  The recovery has been more of a marathon than a sprint and that has been challenging."

Wuerffel was shocked at how suddenly the illness came.  It happened while he was visiting a ministry in Montgomery, Alabama, over the summer. For a man skilled at using his speed to evade tacklers and strength to escape defenders with his legs, Wuerffel was not prepared for what happened.

“One morning I got out of bed and I almost fell over, my legs were very week and wobbly. We were visiting a ministry in the inner city ... and (I) went and saw a doctor on a Thursday. After running some tests, he suspected I might have Guillain-Barre Syndrome, so on Friday at 5 a.m., the doctor drove in the middle of the night in the inner city and knocked on the door to make sure I was breathing.”

Today Wuerffel is the executive director of Desire Street Ministries, an independent, Christian, nonprofit group that works in inner-city areas to make them more desirable places to live.  He travels all over the Southeast to support various ministry initiatives in inner cities.

Despite the struggles Wuerffel is facing, he said he is sustained by his faith and presses on with the task at hand.

He ended his latest newsletter by noting how thankful he is.

"I’m finding that my physical struggles with Guillain-Barre have forced me to re-evaluate some of the ways I deal with the struggles and frustrations of life," he wrote. "It’s forcing me to trust in my Creator, sustainer, friend and Savior. It’s not easy, but it is a beautiful thing!  And I’m thankful."

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Sports

1. Billy Matrix

"Given even the slightest amount of scrutiny, the concept of God does not hold up. It makes no sense."

@Beatrix Kiddo

On the contrary, the concept of God has been holding even to the toughest of the toughest scrutiny. It has braved all forms of persecutions and have been standing and going strong for more than 2000 years and counting.

Absolutely, it does make sense to at least 6 billion people on earth including but not limited to professionals and the elite such as Doctors, Scientists, Juries, Judges, Magistrates, Politicians, great athletes even by the person who holds the highest position of the most powerful country of the world.

Only the second-class minority (who) rejects it.

October 3, 2011 at 8:23 am |
    • claybigsby

I would be wiling to argue that the concept of God goes back way longer than 2000 years....now if you are talking about christianity that is a different story.

October 3, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  2. Cheer On

@JR-This one is for you!
    [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf-n-CxXoSQ&w=640&h=360]

October 2, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
  3. John

Danny, Thanks for sharing your faith, am sure it has touched many lives!

October 2, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  4. Jimtanker

With all of this "faith" that this guy has I bet that he is still going to the doctor. People like that make me sick. He should be in church or at home praying instead of trusting in science and doctors.

October 2, 2011 at 9:41 am |
  5. Peace2All

I wish Danny Wuerfell a happy & healthy life as possible.

Peace...

October 2, 2011 at 4:59 am |
  6. hippypoet

Come one come all, see the fantasticly real god! feel its touch, warmth, the burn, feel the god that you have been without for so very long! come with me and you will see a true sight to behold more then anyother and the best part is, no special offerings are needed, no place of whorship, just an open hand of life and death. This is the one true god as we know any form of gods on earth. This is the one and only creation that can bring life and death by simple existence. It knows more about the history of our planet then our planet itself. It is what scorned the jews in the dessert not an invisible creation of man! This is what people see when they claim to have seen the light! Only two special days a year, and we get a bonus show of dissappearance and reappearance every so often. My God has shown me the path that lay before me, and said not to me to follow one or the other but instead left it upon me to make my own choice of which way to go. The most important thing about my God is that is has children, but they are not to be whorshipped as they are rivals in the cosmos for the love of my God. The closer you are to my God is not always the safest however, as is being the furthest away. Both have a negitive affect. My God knows math, and science, most importantly knows balance, and teaches without teaching. But my God does scorn the ignorant! Come and whorship with me that which has been whorshipped by the greatest people ever known, whorshipped the longest by the most people in history. Come feel the warmth of my God, and know what it is to live with God always there to shining a light on you. I call my God the SUN. Others have called it Aton the sun disk, but that was 3000 years ago in Egypt, even then the whorship of the SUN was an ancient one long forgotten by the Eyptians at that time. E ven if you wish not to follow belief is not needed as proof of my God is there, all around you, in every thing you touch shows its power.Oh and my God doesn't do to anyone differently then anyother, all shall recieve equal treatment. Go and be in the light
    i stand by my SUN. I know that there are a great deal more stars in the universe then the number you can state, but mine is the one that gives me, us, warmth, air, food, drink, basically – life- and so as i stated its MY GOD – THE SUN... i stated that there may be lesser gods on an earthly realm, but mine created the earth, and keeps it living. I preach its energy, and by transferrence becomes us and all living things on this planet. When it dies is when the memory of it begins if we as a species still exist, but long before its implosion it will engulf the earth during an expansion of the star, called a red gaint, just before going super nova, then finally poof- black hole lives for a split second, then again poof! I have an ok/whatever understanding of stars. The logic of whorshipping our SUN is beyond arguement, calling it a GOD is illogical but nessesary to gain a following as to move the civilization past the moronic idea of god as its currently understood.
    Oh my God can power a car so you have no need for earth based fuel. My God gives its power freely and to all creatures, we are stupid to not use it!
    using the law of conservation of matter and energy, the energy given off by the sun simply transferrs to us thru food and warmth, but the whorshipping goes beyond that. if the planet were even just a few hundred feet closer to mars we would be very cold all the time, if closer to the sun by equal distance, very very hot. so everything points to the sun as the true life giving object to whorship if you were to whorship anything- logically speaking!
    fear not my friends for all answers can be answered.

October 1, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
  7. Beatrix Kiddo

Why do these numbskulls never bother to ask God why he made these horrible diseases in the first place? If it is a test of faith, then when is God so egotistical and nasty as to demand that people suffer to prove themselves to him instead of just not having the disease in the first place?

If you were God, would you make this big complex universe, then only focus on only one species on one tiny tiny planet way off on the edge of the immense universe, constantly inflicting them with disasters and disease and evil and war, just to see who obeys you based on your random, occasional help of some of them?

Would you make sure there were lots of phony religions just to fool most of them into failing to obey you so you could send them to hell? Would you ensure that those phony religions look every bit as legitimate as yours?

Would you hide every last shred of evidence of your existence so as to deceive those who study their world into believing that you don't exist?

Would you make your followers act in intolerant and oppressive ways throughout history?

Would you spend all your time listening to prayers then answering only a few in random ways?

Given even the slightest amount of scrutiny, the concept of God does not hold up. It makes no sense. It cannot be. A real deity just would not act in the petty ways that every religion says he/they do.

There is no god.

October 1, 2011 at 11:13 am |
    • Sue

Beatrix Kiddo, brilliant post. Thanks for telling it like it is.

October 1, 2011 at 11:17 am |

Beatrix, there is a God.

Stephan Hawkings tells us that the universe needed an external force to get started.

The fossil record tells us that God has created all of life as we see it now (the fossil record shows extremely long periods of stable species, then new fully formed species appear.

God created the Jewish people to deliver the savior Jesus Christ.

God tell us that if we seek Him, He will allow Himself to be found.

Why die when you can live?

October 1, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • John Richardson

Beatrix Don't mind Chad. Chad thinks that his god favors devout little liars. I would have thought that Christians would consider lying satanic. Apparently not. But anyway, Stephen Hawking explicitly rejects the concept of god, even an abstract impersonal god of the sort Deists believe in. THose who study the fossil record professionally are overwhelmingly atheist. Chad doesn't even get his bot about punctuated equilibrium right. One particularly compelling argument for the "punk eek" position that most evolution occurs during relatively (10K-100K year) periods is that the stable species from which a new species is spawned with generally minor but identifiable morphological alterations is that the prior species often continues to co-exist with the new species, much as wolves continue to exist in a world full of dogs that descended from them. Since there IS no science of creation, creationism makes no predictions here or anywhere else. They just flail away, trying to force fit data into their preconceptions.

October 1, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
    • John Richardson

Whoops. Bad editing. Let me try again: One of the more compelling arguments for the "punk eek" position that most evolution occurs during relatively short (10K-100K) periods of speciation, which typically occurs in small, isolated subpopulations, is that the stable species which spawns the new species often co-exists with the new species for a considerable period.

October 1, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
    • Postman Pete

Excellent post, Beatrix Kiddo!!!!!!!!

October 1, 2011 at 9:12 pm |

Hi John!

Any evolution examples yet? 🙂

October 1, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
    • John Richardson

Lots and lots, Chad! Did you manage to read even one essay from a single evolutionary biologist since we had our first discussion? If so, what and by whom?

October 1, 2011 at 10:06 pm |

@John "Lots and lots.."

excellant! All I asked for was one, no doubt it will be forthcoming. 🙂

October 1, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
    • Get Real

Chad: "Christianity is the only religion that worships the Son of God. The only religion where God appeared in flesh, in human form."

There are quite a number of demi-gods told about throughout history - Heracles, Theseus, Perseus, Gilgamesh, just to name a few. There were even cults who worshipped them, but they weren't latched onto by a super-salesman and promoter like Paul of Tarsus, so they and their meme didn't spread so widely.

October 1, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
    • Beatrix Kiddo

I can give you an example of evolution that has happened in your lifetime: Antibiotic-resistant tuberculosis. Did not exist 50 years ago, does now.

Do you know what happens to flu viruses as they progress around the globe? They mutate. Yes, mutate, as in evolve. That happens within the course of a year.

October 1, 2011 at 11:38 pm |

Virus..
      Now, I'm no biologist, but a quick tour yields:
      – A virus is a small infectious agent that can replicate only inside the living cells of organisms
      – No one know's how long they have been around, but it's been an extremely long time. Perhaps as long as bacteria, which is 100's of millions of years
      – Nothing is being claimed as having "evolved" from a virus.

So, you're example makes a good point. Viruses have been mutating for 100's of millions of years. And yet, they are all still viruses 🙂

Just because a gene is capable of mutating, doesnt mean a fish can morph into a frog.

Just because I am capable of lifting a weight, doesnt mean that I can dead lift 200,000lbs.

I will never, under whatever circ umstances, no matter how many tries, no matter how many millions of years I try, never, never, never do it. Because it cant be done. Unless I have help from someone else 🙂

October 2, 2011 at 12:19 am |
    • John Richardson

Chad, do stop being such a meathead. Here: every friggin's species alive on the planet today has evolved.

Now, what have you been reading that was written by actual evolutionary biologists? Anything?

October 2, 2011 at 12:23 am |
    • Chad

@Get Real "Paul of Tarsus, "
      Indeed, quite a story with him.
      Formerly known as Saul, he zealously led the persecution of Christians for quite some time. Was present at the stoning and death of Stephen.
      until
      one day
      he was walking along, and he met Jesus.

From that day forward, Saul, now known as Paul did a complete 180 and preached the Good News of Jesus Christ for the remainder of his life.

Now, what could have caused him to utterly abandon a life in traditional Jewish society? A life he had zealously pursued, to embark on one of never ending hardship and persecution? A hallucination? Do his writing appear to be from an unstable person?

October 2, 2011 at 12:32 am |
    • John Richardson

Chad, you are once again simply advertising your astonishing lack of education. First, virus may or may not be as ancient as bacteria, There is serious speculation that they may actually be better viewed as "rogue dna" that actually budded off from complex host organisms. I'll dredge up a site discussing the matter if anyone is interested. But whether or not viruses are truly ancient, bacteria are and you ask "why are there still bacteria?" This is just another example of the "why are there still apes?" question that many anti-evolutionists fallaciously use as some sort of "gotcha!" question. But the fact is that the bacteria around today are not fully IDENTICAL to the bacteria of yore, but they are all very conservative, especially the aptly named archaea. The point is simply this: As long as you can still "make a living" being a bacterium, there will still be bacteria. Indeed, modern ecosystems depend on the persistence of bacteria and fungi and other relatively very simple and archaic life forms to break down dead organisms and recycle nutrients. Finally, you come off as a complete ignoramus when you talk of fishes morphing into frogs or your personal non-evolution even if you live 20,000 years. While some of the metamorphoses that DO occur in nature, eg caterpillar into butterfly or tadpole into frog, are as spectacular or arguably even more spectacular than your fish to frog morph, the simple fact is that evolution doesn't happen to individual organisms. It happens over generations as later generations stay in many ways quite similar but in certain respects become rather different from earlier generations, especially in small, isolated populations facing novel selection pressures. It seems that after many, many rounds of discussion of the topic, you don't even have the ABCs of evolution down.

October 2, 2011 at 12:39 am |
    • John Richardson

Chad, Conversion stories like Paul's aren't all that unusual. Quite a few militant leftists famously became militant anti-leftists, eg David Horowitz, Jerry Ruben and earlier Alger Hiss. Quite a few of the non-believers on this board were once Christians. Conversely, a famous atheist whose name I'm spacing famously became, not a Christian, but a theist. I even know a story of a fairly stalwart partisan on one side of the great debates going on in linguistics in the late 60s and early 70s who became a zealous, even crazed partisan for the other side after a brief stay at MIT. I had an odd experience myself of "changing sides" in a rather fundamental linguistics debate with my own closest colleague in the field. If you insist that all this other stuff is just people changing their mind, but Paul;s conversion requires supernatural explanation that somehow validates it, I would say your grasp on human psychology is tenuous at best.

October 2, 2011 at 12:49 am |
    • fred

John Richardson
      The difference with the simple conversions you mention and those of supernatural occurrence are significant. Consider that Paul launched the church which to this day remains a significant force in all civilization. That’s 2,000 years later, millions of converts later, millions of lives lost (through misuse of church) and the list goes on. Consider that what happened to Paul and the Apostles was as Jesus said (power from the indwelling of the Holy Spirit). Consider that the same power from the Holy Spirit accomplishes the same purpose today just as Jesus said. Empirical observation confirms these conversions occur as Jesus stated and in accordance with his formula.

October 2, 2011 at 1:35 am |
    • Get Real

Chad,

Your post refers to the popular legend of Paul.

Here is an extensive piece written by a Talmudic scholar with so much more information about him.
      The Problem of Paul - http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/maccoby2.htm

You might be averse to reading it because it is an atheistic site, but it really is a treasure trove of information.

October 2, 2011 at 1:39 am |
    • Get Real

fred,

Joseph Smith was visited by an angel. Do you believe that? The angel told Joseph a bunch of supernatural stuff. Do you believe that? His church has spread and has gained around 14 million members in less than 200 years - not 2,000. That must make it the true one, right?

October 2, 2011 at 1:46 am |
    • fred

Get Real
      The foundation of what Smith said was flawed and it is one of the counterfeit faiths that use Christ to retain some credibility. Anytime Christ is used rather than acknowledged as Lord and saviour you can bet it is a false religion. The impact of the Mormon Church is insignificant thus not supernatural. Smith may have seen something but like L Ron used it for his personal glory not the glory of God. Certainly you can sense the magnitude of the difference between Christianity and all other religions.

October 2, 2011 at 2:04 am |
    • Get Real

fred,

It's interesting that the Hebrews say the same thing about the offshoots of its religion and its "God" being counterfeited and all.

October 2, 2011 at 3:20 am |
    • Peace2All

@Fred

Hello.. Fred !

" Consider that the same power from the (Holy Spirit) accomplishes the same purpose today just as Jesus said. (Empirical observation) confirms these conversions occur as Jesus stated and in accordance with his formula. "

I'm curious... "empirical" and the "holy spirit" used in the same paragraph...?

Please elaborate.

Regards,

Peace...

October 2, 2011 at 4:30 am |
    • Bucky Ball

Chad, read your posts.
      First you say " Unfortunately, humans created this world of sickness, pain and death. God is attempting to "get us back" so to speak.", then you try to tell us viruses have been around for hundreds of millions of years. As JR said, you reveal an astonishing lack of education. Did humans create viruses ? Why do we get Coronary Artery Disease ? Your simple minded explanation for "evil" is ALL wet. It doesn't fly. I realize your psychological well-being is upset, and you get all flustered if you think about the "no god" idea, but it's not about evidence for logical conclusions, it's about your NEED to have it all wrapped up in a neat little box. It's called "anal retentive" personality. have you ever learned about the concept of "the son of god", how common it was, where it came from, who started it, whether Yeshua bar Josep ever actually made that blasphemous claim. I doubt it. If you did, where did you study ? Just because Stephen Hawking says something, doesn't mean he is always correct, or that that statement implies it was a "personal" god. There is no god, just because someone as uneducated as you says so. "Atheists so angry"/ Hahahaha.

October 2, 2011 at 9:35 am |
    • John Richardson

@fred One never knows the effects of a conversion experience until after the fact. Yes, Paul became an ambitious apostle, but if not for Constantine, the period in which Christianity gained many Roman adherents would be a historical curiosity much like the period in which Mithra's cult became widespread. Paul was a crucial link in the chain, but just a link. So none of these considerations mean anything about how "supernatural" his conversion was.

History is full of "butterfly effects" small moments that triggered large events. Who in the mid-1980s had any idea at all that the entire Soviet Bloc was about about to fall? No one thing did it, but Hungary's simple decision to allow people from East Germany to freely enter Hungary and then freely depart for West Germany pretty much blew apart the whole system. Somewhere, sometime in the 1980s, some Hungarian bureaucrats who few heard of then and probably even fewer remember now drafted that policy – and changed the world.

October 2, 2011 at 9:51 am |
    • Chad

@John, @Bucky "then you try to tell us viruses have been around for hundreds of millions of years. As JR said, you reveal an astonishing lack of education. "

I did say that?
      I could have sworn I said "- No one know's how long they have been around, but it's been an extremely long time. Perhaps as long as bacteria, which is 100's of millions of years"

Perhaps you can provide a link to where I said that.. 🙂

October 2, 2011 at 10:44 am |
    • Chad

@John: "Chad, you're an idiot, <much discussion of gene mutation, explanation of why it's to be expected that viruses are still viruses, etc, etc.." (paraphrase mine)

Perhaps the best thing for you to do John, is provide an example of evolution in the fossil record. I'm sure that would clear things up for me. 🙂

October 2, 2011 at 10:49 am |
    • fred

Peace@all
      Good morning and peace to you !
      Jesus said if you ask with a broken and contrite heart your prayer is answered. Ask Jesus into your life to help you and admit you have sinned asking for forgiveness. I will then send the Holy Spirit who will guide you in all things. Well that happened to me so there is one observation (biased). Then I say many times in others personally (observation) with the same pattern. I note how the Bible says conversions happen. Then I see it. Others also have the same observation. Even John Richardson will say conversions occur and if he has seen some involving the Holy Spirit is that not also an observation.

October 2, 2011 at 10:53 am |

@GetReal

Amazing doc ument, MANY thanks for the link

That site is named “positive atheism”, however the link you provided was written by a Jewish Talmudist, which is about as Theistic as you’ll get 

Some background: that site was put together by a Jewish Talmudist (a scholar of the Torah (the first 5 books of the Old Testament) as well as ancient Jewish commentaries on the Bible). Suffice to say that a Talmudist is a person that has dedicated his life to a study of the Bible.

Anyway, the guy analyzes the life of Jesus (on another part of that site) and Paul(using the link that using the New Testament and extra-biblical evidence (Josephus, Epiphanius, Eusebius and the Talmud itself (which refers to Jesus)) attempting to discredit each essentially along the following lines:
      Jesus: Jesus acted as a Pharisee but Christians claim he opposed Phariseeism.
      Paul: New Testament claims Paul was a Pharisee, but he didn’t act as one.

I haven’t yet read the entire thing, but it’s really fantastic. My first impressions:
      1. He never questions the historicity of Jesus Christ or Paul. He accepts that the NT writings are authentic
      2. He notes that Paul is no crazy guy, he is referred to as “fluent, articulate”
      3. He really just makes two foundational mistakes, and that ripples through everything:

A. Jesus Christ DID “behave as a Pharisee”, in the sense that he was the first human ever in the history of the world to have fully kept the Law. From wiki: “Maccoby argued that the real Jesus was not a rebel against the Jewish law, but instead a Jewish Messianic claimant whose life and teaching were within the mainstream of first-century Judaism. He believed that Jesus was executed as a rebel against the Roman occupation of Judaea. However, he did not claim that Jesus was the leader of an actual armed rebellion. Rather, Jesus and his followers, inspired by the Hebrew Bible or Old Testament prophetic writings, were expecting a supernatural divine intervention that would end the Roman rule, restore the Davidic Kingdom with Jesus as the divinely anointed monarch, and inaugurate the Messianic age of peace and prosperity for the whole world. These expectations were not fulfilled and Jesus was arrested and executed by the Romans.”
      The only error he made, is in missing that Jesus Himself said that “his kingdom was not of this world”.

Still haven’t read all of it, but many thanks. Awesome stuff. It’s truly amazing how a person can make just a couple simple mistakes in understanding, and that can completely undermine an entire body of work.

October 2, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • John Richardson

Chad, you reek of insincerity. There are literally thousands upon thousands upon thousands of cases closely studied in the literature that you arrogantly refuse to read even a smidge of. You are not interested in facts. You are in a desperate struggle to preserve your comfortable little world view. But the people who make their living studying these things have concluded you are wrong. Stop discussing science you can't be bothered to lear. The people you feel "picked on" by have read vastly more of the bible and other Christian (and other) religious writings than you've read science by actual scientists. The people you debate have an intellectual and, yes, I would say spiritual integrity that you woefully lack.

October 2, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • John Richardson

Chad writes: "Still haven’t read all of it, but many thanks. Awesome stuff. It’s truly amazing how a person can make just a couple simple mistakes in understanding, and that can completely undermine an entire body of work"

October 2, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
    • Get Real

Chad,

I'm glad that you took the leap to read Macoby's hypotheses. Of course there are disputations of it from both sides of the aisle. I wanted to use it as another viewpoint than traditional Christian apologetics and the acceptance of pat legends as fact; and to show that the trail of breadcrumbs that we have from history is quite messy. I find it unbelievable that an allegedly all-knowing "God" would communicate with its supposedly beloved but dumb creatures in this va.gue, ambiguous, and contention-prone fashion.

October 2, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Chad

@John: "There are literally thousands upon thousands upon thousands of cases "

excellent, I'm just looking for you to describe one.. just one.. any one.. take your pick...

October 2, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • Chad

@John: "So before you even read the body of the work, which is where all the actual arguments for the author's theses lie, you conclude in advance that the author's main two theses are wrong."

hmm, read my post again, you'll see that I AGREE with that guys 2 major thesis, namely that
      1. Jesus behaved similar to a Pharisee (in that he strictly kept the law, not in the sense that he was a hypocrite about keeping the law, not all Pharisees were hypocrites).
      2. Paul did NOT behave as a Pharisee

Those are the 2 main thesis, and as I pointed out before, I agree with both. You might have been reading some other post and got confused 🙂

The error that the guy made was in the original foundation of his understanding about Jesus and Paul. His starting point was a belief on his part that Christians claimed Jesus did NOT behave as a pharisee, and that Paul WAS one. He then proceeded to prove that Jesus did in fact follow the law, and that Paul did not, in his mind proving the NT was inaccurate.

The problem was, he attempted to refute a claim that has never been made 🙂

His work actually strengthens the claim that Jesus kept the law, and that Paul renounced the law and lived under Grace.

Hopefully that clears things up for you.

October 2, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • Simon

Chad,

Thanks for your wonderful posts! you are very special indeed!!!!

Please know that believers are always cheering you and may God's gracious hand always be upon you!

October 2, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
    • John Richardson

@Chad Stop playing childish games. I already said all species evolved. So why would someone even as scientifically inept as you need me to name one? And what point would it serve? You steadfastly refuse to read ANY scientific work on evolution. You aren't the slightest bit interested in understanding any of it. You just want to stick your fingers in your ears and say "la, la, la, I can't hear you!"

But just because I'm such a swell, cooperative guy, I found this link to a fairly comprehensive work on the evolution of one of my own personal favorite families of animals, the strombids. I am especially fond of strombus pugilis and the very closely related strombus alatus. Very similar but distinct species with ranges that overlap just barely around Southern Florida.

ttp://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1112103-135018/unrestricted/Latiolais_thesis.pdf

October 2, 2011 at 9:04 pm |
    • John Richardson

@Simon You cheer for Chad? Isn't that kinda like cheering for John Cleese's character in Monty Python's argument sketch (minus the humor, of course)?

October 2, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
    • John Richardson

@Chad You previously wrote: "B. He argues that Paul was NOT a Pharisee, which is exactly true (he was, but after meeting Jesus on the road to Damascus, he renounced keeping the Law."

No, he argued that Paul was NEVER a Pharisee, despite Paul's own claims. And this is what much of his book is ABOUT.

And you ended your prior post with: "Awesome stuff. It’s truly amazing how a person can make just a couple simple mistakes in understanding, and that can completely undermine an entire body of work."

Perhaps you would like to repeat what you thought these errors were, how they undermined the entire body of work – and let us know how much of the work you actually read.

October 2, 2011 at 9:15 pm |
    • fred

John Richardson
      I agree with Solomon when it comes to all the written pros and cons regarding Paul: "The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails—given by one shepherd. Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them. Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind"
      Can we enter the works of Solomon into the debate and give him some extra points because he had the greatest wisdom of all? Is there some value to a man with his resources that exhausted just about everything thinkable and concluded at each turn the meaningless nature of all things without God? We value Einstein as he exhausted his gifts in the area of science. Most value Jesus as his sayings and thoughts changed our world we know. Paul with his education and backround did wonders creating the body of Christ (or church). These guys deserve some credit over current authors that knew little of the times they comment on

October 2, 2011 at 9:43 pm |
    • Chad

John: your favorite example of evolution is a Masters thesis from some guy arguing about genus classification of 3 differently shaped(er, pardon me, I meant to say "morphologically divergent") conchs? Really?

For those that dont know, a conch (er, I mean "Strombrid Gastropod") has one of those big shells you put to your ear and hear the ocean from 🙂

Kind of funny that in the end he felt he wasnt actually able to conclusively prove his assertion, but he felt it could be inferred.. A fairly common refrain among evolutionary biologists 🙂

"Despite an inability to demonstrate the monophyly of all Strombus subgenera, phylogenetic relationships inferred here using molecular data generally support the taxonomic classifications proposed by Abbott."

October 2, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
    • Billy Matrix

Absolutely, it does make sense to at least 6 billion people on earth including but not limited to professionals and the elite such as Doctors, Scientists, Juries, Judges, Magistrates, Politicians, even by the person who holds the highest position of the most powerful country of the world.

Only the second-class minority (who) rejects it.

October 3, 2011 at 8:21 am |
    • fred

Bravo Matrix!
      Two thousand years ago Jesus instructed apostles He must die and raise again on the the third day. This happened.
      Two thousand years ago Jesus said I must go so the Holy Spirt will come and give you power in all things. This happened.
      Two thousand years ago those apostles who hid in fear came out of hiding and stood up filled in power. This happened.
      Two thousand years ago Jesus said when you are filled with the Holy Spirt go preach the Gospel throughout. This happened.
      It continues to happen as the Gospel is spread throughout the world. Look observe it is happening before your eyes.
      You who reject god and mock Christians need only ask Jesus into your life with a humble heart. Admit you have sinned asking Jesus to give you the Holy Spirit to guide you in all things . Yep it is going on everywhere this very moment.

October 3, 2011 at 11:25 am |
  8. Chad

May the Lord bless and keep you and your's Danny. No matter what happens, you have turned in the right direction and placed your faith in the right place.

October 1, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • Perry D

Even if you suffer and even die a horrible death due to a disease that a real loving god could have easily prevented or cured.

Oh, I see. That god doesn't exist. Well, maybe your fairy tale god makes you feel better. Oh well. Maybe medical science will save you. If so, it would be nice if you gave medicine and doctors the credit they deserve, for a change.

October 1, 2011 at 10:52 am |
    • Chad

John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." – Jesus Christ

October 1, 2011 at 11:49 am |
    • Perry D

Chad, copy and paste buybull quotes don't cut it in this argument, nor does the idiotic Jeebus scapegoat nonsense.

Explain in your own words why your supposedly loving and omnipotent god can't prevent such awful diseases, or just admit defeat.

Hint: you've already lost.

October 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Chad

There is sickness and death in this world, that's the way it is.
      This world is not the one originally created don't forget, what we see now is the result of a catastrophically bad decision made a very long time ago.

Tell me something, if atheists are so happy with the decision they have made, why are the ALL so angry?

October 1, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • Kay

Thank you Chad. Keep sharing the Word.

October 1, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
    • John Richardson

Chad Did Jesus tell you that lying is a good thing? While atheists (and other non-believers) are often plenty disgusted by what believers post and are willing to express that disgust, to say that they are "all angry" is simply ludicrous. There are several of them that post regularly who are extremely even tempered. Conversely, the "other side" has such gems of perpetual joy as HeavenSent, Adelina, Herbert Juarez and a seemingly never ended cast of believers who come onto the blog briefly to spew vile and then run away when people argue back at them.

October 1, 2011 at 9:09 pm |

hmm. ok, fair enough

why are MOST atheists so angry?

October 1, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
    • John Richardson

Most? How many do you know? And how many do you interact with outside the context of debate? A lot of people spent a lot of time writing you detailed responses to your many, many scientific misconceptions and you keep simply reasserting the same things over and over. There's a truly dreadful intellectual dishonesty about you, Chad. So what surprising is not that some people have become obviously irked at you, but that it took so many so long before their patience finally wore out. And then you try to paint yourself the poor little victim of big bad atheists. It's disgraceful.

October 1, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Rick

Atheists exhibit irascible temperament.

Believers please be aware that in talking to atheists/non-believers the easy cop out for these when it is unable to hold an argument is to rely in its pathetic crutch that is vile.

At a certain point it becomes counter productive to argue with non-believers that hides behind anger.

October 1, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
    • Simon

@Chad,

Thanks for all your wonderful posts! you are very very special indeed!!!!

Great posts , please know that believers are always cheering you and may God's gracious hand always be upon you!

October 2, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • Republicans for Voldemort

Simon and Chad, glad to have you onboard. Go team!

October 2, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
  9. Tony D

Danny, Glad to hear your anchor is in a Rock solid place that rests on the Almighty God for strength. Truly inspiring indeed!

October 1, 2011 at 9:41 am |
    • Perry D

Now if only an almighty god existed. 'cause you see, if he did, this poor athlete wouldn't have the problems he does. Unless, of course, that god happens to be an ass-hole.

And you know, maybe if god is almighty now, he can finally deal with that big Satan bully. Oh, guess not.

October 1, 2011 at 10:24 am |
    • Kay

Amen Tony!

October 1, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  10. THE BROWN NOTE

when is jesus going to heal this football player guy

someone pray quick

i have to go have a cigarette

just keep praying while im out

maybe jesus will fly down on his rainbow unicorn and take care of business

have faith

September 30, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
  11. et

don't know what doctor he saw or who researched this but there are 2 ways to fight GBS. the most common is called IVIg which is a five day "transfusion" type treatment. I just went through this. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks...i caught it early enough that i missed the worst of the disease but required physio and occupational therapy to cope with the lingering numbness in my hands and feet to perform everyday tasks and my strength and balance is coming back. 2nd treatment is used if IVIg doesn't work is called plasma exchange where they remove your blood and clean the antibodies out of your blood.

September 30, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • Real Deal

et,

Good info. Thank you. Glad that you are doing well.

September 30, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  12. Sheikh Abd-al Fusani

I think Bo has a common problem with all the other retarded Christians.

September 30, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
    • Math fab Mathonwy

Bo's got a lot of issues. Good hearted but lame brained. Not uncommon amongst Christians, or any other demographic, alas.

September 30, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
  13. Bo

@Ben, maybe you can help me find a reply button on my cell, I've looked but I haven't found one.

September 30, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
    • Ben

Just go away until you figure it out.

September 30, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
    • Seriously

When you click the link to read the comments there should be a reply button in the upper right hand corner of each post. I checked it's there, so scroll to the right. On mine its directly across from the person's name who left the post on the far right.

September 30, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
    • I'm totally obnoxious

Ben,

I'm with you man. Right on!!!

September 30, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
  14. Bo

@Ben: Sorry,wish I had a reply button. I have a diffrent screen than you. I only have a cell.

September 30, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Ben

Bo, stop being such an incompetent tool and learn to Reply. Yes, your phone can use it, if you are smart enough to figure it out.

Your stupidity there fits right along with your stupid religious beliefs. You're such an ignorant dimwit.

September 30, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
    • *frank*

Can you please pray to Jesus to teach you how to use your phone?

September 30, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
  15. Bo

@Ann, did you consider that you may have the benifactor of someone else's prayer. I like the story of the little old lady who was praying , her atheistic neighbor ask what she was praying about, answering she told him that she was praying for an orange. While she was napping her neighbor laid an orange in her lap. When she awoke, she exclaimed,Oh, look, The Lord answered my prayer!" No He didn't." laughed her neighbor, "I put it there." "Well," said the lady, "He just used you to answer my prayer."

September 30, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
    • Ben

Bo, stop being such an incompetent tool and learn to use the Reply button. Yes, even your phone can use it, if you are smart enough to figure it out.

September 30, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • *frank*

This story makes me want to kill myself.

September 30, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
    • *frank*

*the orange story, that is

September 30, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
    • THE BROWN NOTE

next time some tool prays for an orange

im not giving them anything

then they wont have a lame excuse to believe in this sky tooth fairy

September 30, 2011 at 11:15 pm |
    • I'm not very smart and have a foul odor

I agree with you Ben. Let's hang out.

September 30, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
    • tallulah13

How rude of that woman to credit god for her neighbor's actions. That seems happen a lot: Christians crediting god for human efforts.

September 30, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
    • *frank*

The neighbor should have grabbed the orange back and said "I guess god's using me to take this away from you. Bye!" And walked away.

October 1, 2011 at 9:14 pm |
  16. Ben

Bo, stop being such an incompetent tool and learn to use the Reply button. Yes, your phone can use it, if you are smart enough to figure it out.

September 30, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  17. Bo

@ Beb, I've got a little tiny keyboard about 1 1/4 in by 2 1/2 I'm bound to make some mistakes I'm sorry even typos and misspells. It's God that is perfect, not me. He is still working on me.

September 30, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • Seriously

"It's God that is perfect, not me. He is still working on me."

You would make better progress if you saw a psychologist.

September 30, 2011 at 5:33 pm |