home
RSS
September 30th, 2011

Military chaplains to perform same-sex marriages

By Charley Keyes, CNN Senior National Security Producer

Washington (CNN) - Ten days after the military dumped its "don't ask, don't tell" policy on gays and lesbians, the Pentagon has issued new rules allowing military chaplains to perform same-sex marriages, but only if allowed by law and the chaplain's beliefs.

"A military chaplain may participate in or officiate any private ceremony, whether on or off a military installation, provided that the ceremony is not prohibited by applicable state and local law," a memo released Friday says.

The new policy allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military went into force September 20. In May, before the end of "don't ask, don't tell," the Navy was forced into an embarrassing about-face when if first OK'd and then changed its mind on marriages on military bases.

The new military rules on marriages must be in line with the Federal Defense of Marriage Act and local laws.

The latest two-paragraph memo, from Under Secretary of Defense Clifford Stanley, carefully stops short of fully embracing the idea of same-sex marriage, saying that "a military chaplain's participation in a private ceremony does not constitute an endorsement of the ceremony by DoD" (the Department of Defense).

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Culture wars • Gay marriage • Gay rights • Military • Same-sex marriage

soundoff (1,195 Responses)
  1. sunsohot

@Big George – you really believe that no gays were fighting on the front lines in Viet Nam? How little you know.

September 30, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • ROKROK

What IDIOT thinks that NO GAYS FOUGHT IN VAM ? ? I am GAY. I Enlisted, along with thousands of other Gay Men & Women. Many of us were in other areas of service with high security clearances; If we lost a Security Clearance, we were not discharged;- we were made to serve out full term...and SENT TO NAM instead. Many of those NO GAYS IN NAM came back in boxes!

September 30, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  2. People of faith....

What I want to know is, why do you get all fired up on this 'sin' subject but so many of you people of faith think it's perfectly ok to be gluttons, gossipers, liars & cheats, beat your wives/husbands or children, hold hate in your heart...these are I believe all called 'deadly sins'. WHY are these ok? The Bible belt is the FATTEST part of the nation...WHY IS THAT OK???

September 30, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • CrazyTimes

Well, bibles are big and any belt made out of bibles would be pretty wide.

September 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • People of faith....

Crazy, you actually made me laugh. But really, the hypocrisy...it's gross.

September 30, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Steve-O-Matic

It's ok because preaching hypocrisy is the foundation of any major successful religion. That and believing in fairy tales.

September 30, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • LivinginVA

Agreed: Not only that, the Bible talks far more about helping the poor and Love than it does about ANY sin. I don't understand why these people aren't devoting a LOT more time on issues that Jesus actually talked about.

September 30, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • People of faith....

Living...I quite agree with you. I think this subject is used as an excuse so people don't have to do the RIGHT things which their faith mandates them to do, like feeding the poor, taking care of orphans & widows, loving their enemy. And, Jesus didn't mince words when he said, 'DO NOT JUDGE'.

September 30, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  3. Michael

The start of the end of religious people who HATE gays for being gay. A good turning point. Just like our ugly racist past, we will soon be passed it all.

September 30, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Norps

We haven't left our racist past behind, I need only to direct you to the comments on this board and those of other sites to illustrate that point.

September 30, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • AJ

Agree, racial hatred & bigotry will never be completely gone, it's too ingrained.

September 30, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  4. TG

The Military isn't supposed to be about Gay's or Lesbians, it's about being willing to protect, defend, and fight for freedom. This whole Gay agenda is turning the United States Military into a side show circus!. My fox hole buddy only covers my back during wartime and it's to protect me from bullets coming from the enemy and not my buddy trying to stick me with his tool! What a disgrace this is to the nation and those who fought before us! There is nothing to honor, respect, or be proud of when trying to make the immoral actions of the minority, morally right for the majority. This is turning into a complete Freak Show!

September 30, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • CrazyTimes

This was a pathetic political move by a president with lagging support. His military commanders advised against it, as we have two active combat zones. But he would not listen.

September 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • Norps

Your wrong headed opinions are the only thing disgracing this country.

September 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • SciFiChickie

Thank "God" I live in America were YOUR moral code is for you... I don't feel like hate is a moral anyone should hold up.

September 30, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • DUH

"There is nothing to honor, respect, or be proud of when trying to make the immoral actions of the minority, morally right for the majority. This is turning into a complete Freak Show!"

Your a disgrace for our country.

September 30, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  5. CrazyTimes

My penguin skippy and I will be so happy together. I am glad you liberal, modern thinking individuals will assist me in getting my equal civil rights like you have, so I can marry my beloved.

September 30, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • J.W

OK we get it you do not have an argument that makes sense so you come up with the most ridiculous thing you can think of.

September 30, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • Gekaap

Slippery slope fallacies are not impressive arguments.

September 30, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • CrazyTimes

It is the same thing. If you can change set things to satisfy your lifestyle choices, so can I.

September 30, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@CrazyTimes
      What part of INFORMED CONSENT do you not understand?

September 30, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • CrazyTimes

Why can't we change "Informed consent"? We evolved from apes right? Can I have a relation with an ape and marry it? For good ol times?

September 30, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • JG

No, it's not the same thing. You are equating animals to people.

September 30, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Steve-O-Matic

It's not the same thing until the penguin can sign a marriage license under his/her own volition.

September 30, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • UrAverageJoe

I for one support Crazytimes' desire to marry the animal of his choice. I doubt any human will have him. Just make sure the animal can say "I do", is of legal age, and can sign their name.

September 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • Kevin

Unfortunately, Skippy is going to turn out to hate your guts and regret ever getting to know you, much less marry you. Skippy will then become the happiest penguin on earth, now that he is away from your selfish, egotistical self.

You on the other hand, become so despondent over your breakup with your penguin mate, that you decide you can no longer face your miserable life, and steer your car into oncoming traffic. Much to the betterment of all human kind, the accident is fatal, and no one has to put up with your stupidity, ever again. Hallelujah!

September 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • Kerry

No, it's NOT the same thing. Your penguin Slippy can't give consent. These two adults can. Ignorance like yours is astounding.

September 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • Bob

It just goes to show you how far our country has slipped closer to Hell!!!!!

September 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@CrazyTimes
      " We evolved from apes right? Can I have a relation with an ape and marry it? For good ol times?"
      Why am I not surprised that you're a creationist.
      Let me gues - you're a Baptist?

September 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • Rick

well, CrazyTimes, when you can establish that the penguin can consent under the laws of the country, have at it

September 30, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • Gekaap

Crazytimes, it is NOT the same thing. You are committing a logical fallacy called the slippery slope. Maybe you need to look it up? Or educate yourself on how to reason logically.

For example, when inter racial marriage became a hot button issue several decades ago, people made the same arguments then that you are making now. That it would lead the way to people wanting to marry animals. The argument was absurd then, and it's absurd now.

September 30, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  6. Johnjon

oh my God.................... Randy Phillps, will you marry me?

September 30, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • DUH

I'll marry you if you dont mind 10 dudes in a bed at the same time

September 30, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • DUH

"I'll marry you if you dont mind 10 dudes in a bed at the same time"

Keep showing you lack morality. LOL!

September 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  7. kimsland

Why are all religious people so hateful and angry?
    If jesus was gay so be it, let him love all men.

September 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • kimsland

You must be religious.
      Get well soon.

September 30, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • J.W

They aren't. To both of you.

September 30, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • markus

congrats, Jackzinta. You've been reported. Not only was the INCREDIBLY CRUEL AND VICIOUS, but also a LIE.

September 30, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • kimsland

Religious people ARE sick J.W
      And they need to take that first step for their recovery
      Sick Sick religious fools.

September 30, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • Gekaap

Jackzinta is a perfect example of how dubious the anti gay marriage crowd is.

September 30, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • People of faith....

September 30, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  8. Frank

All right – this crap has gone TOO FAR. Before I was just a bit grossed out by this type of thing. Now I'm ANGRY.

September 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • BRC

Why are you angry?

September 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Frank

Because everyone is getting it in the but & im not!

September 30, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Aezell

What right do you have to be angry? Please explain how you woke up this morning and your life was significantly different because of this. Otherwise, shut up.

September 30, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • Anthony

Why would this make you angry? Aren't there more pressing issues to be concerned with?

September 30, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • BRC

I feel like someone might have just borrowed your handle there.

The reason I asked- If you are angry because these comments full of page after page of people showing an absurd degree of hate and trying to deny rights to people that in no way negatively impact their lives, then I completely agree; I'll probably get around to angry once I get passed being very dissapointed, and a littel stunned.

If you're angry because people willing to risk their lives to protect their country are now afforded the same rights as other soldiers doing the same thing, then I do not support your opinion, in any way shape or form. Ever.

September 30, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • David Rowan Armor

Seriously, why so angry? 🙂

September 30, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • S

They serve The United States of America every day and where they lay their head outside of their tours is none of your buisness. Tthey should be allowed to do this with out fear. You get to sleep at night safe becasue of them and they deserve the same rights!

September 30, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • Matt - Bethlehem, PA

I would suggest ANGER MANAGEMENT classes, since you're angry about something that has NOTHING to do with you!

September 30, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  9. CrazyTimes

Can't wait till the gay brigade with their pink berets invades Iran. It will be a quick victory, as the Iranians will drop dead laughing.

September 30, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • DUH

If I say a bunch of pink berets with brown spots I'd probably get a big woody

September 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • CrazyTimes

And the first wave of hardened marines in pink berets lines up and the commander says, "let's get them girls!"

September 30, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Jason

September 30, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • CrazyTimes

@Jason, they got wiped out didn't they?

September 30, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • Curtis

Oh CrazyTimes, I know plenty of gays, who haven't been trained by the military, that could most likely kick your a$$ without breaking a sweat. By the way, it's easy to be tough behind internet anonymity, but I doubt you'd say any of this stuff in the face of an openly gay marine – not unless you had a few of your friends with you, because you're a coward.

September 30, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • JG

Kinda afraid of yourself, er, I mean the gays aren't you?

September 30, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • DUH

"Can't wait till the gay brigade with their pink berets invades Iran"

Keep slamming all of our hard working soldiers with your ignorance and stupidity. Oh and they have worn pink to support breast cancer moron.

September 30, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • UrAverageJoe

As long as Achmadinijad is gone and the Iranian people are free, gay or straight, pink berets or green, they will be welcomed by the Iranian people!

September 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • Rick

Not to mention how many of these pink beret wearers would whip your butt

September 30, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
  10. J.W

When we talk about someone being moral or immoral in general, why is it always related to who or how many they sleep with? Aren't there other things that we could judge morality by?

September 30, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • kimsland

Morals are totally subjective.
      People morally nailed other people to wood in the past, now we inject them.
      Basically religious people have given morals a bad name.
      I say its morally bad to be religious, that is obvious at least.

September 30, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Sippycup

Most definitely. Like hating people.

September 30, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Ed

What?! You mean things like honesty, integrity, and compassion might be better guages of character than who somebody opts to love? Say it ain't so!

September 30, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  11. People of faith....

Why do you make it your business, even if , for argument sake, you believe these gay soldiers are 'sinning'...why is that YOUR business??? I believe you are supposed to look after your own heart. THAT is the part I don't get.
    Unless of course, you consider yourself 'sinless'....oh, well in that case, start throwin them rocks!

September 30, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • CrazyTimes

So when things are completely wrong, we just sit here and say, well Gawd bless you, you go marry your penguin and I will sit idly by and just allow it?

September 30, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Reush

No Crazy, you go, "An animal cannot sign a marriage contract. Sorry." When you see two people who love each other, however, it's not YOUR decision on whether or not they can get married. We're not the ones deciding YOUR permission.

September 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • J.W

Marriage between two consenting adults is nothing like a marriage between a human and a penguin. First of all a penguin does not have the ability to agree to be married. Second a penguin cannot consent as far as having relations.

September 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • ocho

"People of faith" :
      You miss the point, Gods ways are higher then ours as is his laws. I think it ill to compare passing judgement on someone to actually stoning someone. What u believe is irelevant and not biblical. So how can u pass judgement on Christians for doing the right thing?

September 30, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • BRC

@ocho,
      So you think condeming someone for a life choice that has nothing to do with you because a book that might be true says that "God" doesn't like it is the "right thing to do"? I have very little trouble judging someone for that.

September 30, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Matt - Bethlehem, PA

Its only wrong to YOUR religious beliefs, not mine or my neighbors. Perhaps your friends or coworkers have different beliefs....Oh gawd, that would be new wouldn't it?

September 30, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • ocho

Brc, immorality is usually funny that way. Better to believe a lie then God.

September 30, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
    • People of faith....

@ocho...but the problem I have is, WHY this one 'sin'??? And if all people believing in the bible are going to speak out against this, are they speaking out against gluttony & gossiping (two of many churches mainstays) as fervently as they do this? It don't happen...why is that? You cannot single one 'sin' out, practice a bunch of the other 'sins' and be ok with most people.

September 30, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • People of faith....

also @ocho...and what about adhering to the words of Jesus, where he said, 'DO NOT JUDGE'?

September 30, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • ocho

People of faith- I don't think being gay is a worse sin then murder or say idolatry. I think the problem most Christians have is its so in your face. I mean its almost being pushed like a brand. I've had gay friends in the past. I love the people but I hate the lifestyle....as far as where the bible says don't judge, people often only read that one sentence and not the whole verse. The bible talks very adamantly about reproach and not judging with evil motives. most people only repeat what they've heard others say.

September 30, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  12. CrazyTimes

I am glad Obama is president. When Bush was president, I had a job and didn't have time to troll these boards. Such wonderful conversations I have missed.

September 30, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • DUH

"When Bush was president, I had a job and didn't have time to troll these boards. Such wonderful conversations I have missed."

Yeah he lied and got us in a war not based on facts, that's why you must like him since you do the same thing with your posts.

September 30, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • DUH

when I read this I had to laugh so hard my sphynctor got tight & my fist came out.

September 30, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • CrazyTimes

Obama lies every day, and we are still in Iraq and Afghanistan. And have trooped supporting the Libyan revolt and others. Looks like it is getting worse to me. So what was your point?

September 30, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • Norps

You might have a job if you stopped trolling these boards and went out to look for one. Maybe your perspective employers can see what a ridiculous fool you are, and fear the lawsuit they me expose them to by hiring such a hateful person.

September 30, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Bush turned a 236 billion dollar surplus into a 400 billion + deficit.
      Maybe that has something to do with the state of the economy.
      NAAAAH.
      I'm sure it's the hom.ose/xual agenda that took your job and is trying to turn you gay.

September 30, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • J.W

Bush got us into those wars. At least we have made some progress in getting out.

September 30, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • HoustonTruth

So, it's the President's fault you don't have a job? What about all that "rugged individualism" and "personal responsibility?" Just so I understand, the government cannot create jobs, yet the government is responsible for you not having one? LOL

I love the hypocrisy from the right. Have some more tea!

September 30, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  13. Luch

yes this will certainly bring God's protection to this once great country...absolutely disgusting, disheartning and another step in this nation's moral decline

September 30, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • CrazyTimes

Yupper...

September 30, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • Alex A.

God supports your blatant and blind hatred for people that are different.

You will save this country.

September 30, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • CrazyTimes

Don't get me wrong, I love you, just not in THAT way.

September 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Matt - Bethlehem, PA

According to your God's Holy book, women were the property of their husbands and it was ok to own slaves....Well, I guess God also hates us because we don't have slaves anymore and we see wives as equal partners in a str8 marriage. How convenient it is for all you Christians to pick and choose what you want to believe from the Bible and what you consider wrong vs. right.

September 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Jeffersonian

We hold these truthes, to be self evident, that all men are created equal...Nothing else needs to be said.

Signed,
      A straight, God-fearing, family raising member of the US armed forces.

September 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  14. ocho

The kicker here is that the military must obey the laws of the federal gov before the states. Now I don't know how this will work unless both peoples home of record is from the same state that allows gay marriage. I know the Army won't let you change your home of record once your in...and on top of that. It doesn't seem like gay marriage will be recognized by non gay marriage states...its kind of a catch 22. Seeing the federal gov does not recognize it either.

September 30, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • LivinginVA

Home state of record doesn't matter. The laws of the state you are in matters. If the base is in NY, then the couple can marry, if it's Arkansas, they can't.

September 30, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Matt

The Navy allows you to change it whenever.

September 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  15. Mark Taylor

The amount of energy wasted on arguing about what people do with their weenis and hoo hoo is pathetic. Everyone shut up already. You're gay, good. you're straight good. Go feed a starving child and get over yourself.

September 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • kimsland

This religious belief topic won't hear of such simplistic understandings.

September 30, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  16. rob

"Further a chaplain is not required to participate in or officiate a private ceremony if doing so would be in variance with the tenets of his or her religion." - If your "religion" causes you to be a hateful bigot, maybe you should choose a job other than chaplain in an organization that caters to such a divers group of people like the military. Maybe you should be a street sweeper in Iran or Saudi Arabia.

September 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  17. Bill

Did anyone really think that repealing DADT was the of this.

September 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  18. Robert

I just love all of the comments from the supposedly loving, understanding people on here. Things like Christian Taliban, Republican idiots... way to tolerate those who have a different opinion than you in an understanding, caring way.

September 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • CrazyTimes

Is it wrong to call a kettle black?

September 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • Norps

Yes, it is the oppressed who should tolerate their oppressors. I like your logic.

September 30, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  19. CrazyTimes

As if America's financial issues were not problem enough, now we are in full moral decline as well. Just like Rome... Oh, well, all good things must come to an end.

September 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • Observer

"Moral decline" has been claimed since biblical times. You finally got the news.

September 30, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • LivinginVA

Study your history: Rome's decline started AFTER Christianity started spreading.

September 30, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • aubrie

When any nation refuses to learn from past history, they are doomed to repeat it.... History DOES repeat itself... So yeah... We fall just like Rome... It's inevitable, but believe me, Gay marriage will NOT be the ONLY reason for it.

September 30, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • Matt - Bethlehem, PA

Why is it that you have to subject everyone to YOUR morals and YOUR beliefs? If you don't like gays, don't be friends with them...if you don't approve of gay marriage, don't have one... I don't understand why Christians need to meddle in everyone else's lives and are more concerned about what happens in my life, my family and my bedroom more than in their own home.

September 30, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  20. Jackzinta

Looking forward to Islamist terrorists getting their hands on the first gay couple in the military and making them prisoners. I can assure you that they won't be as tolerant as liberals living in Hollywood or San Francisco. And I won't shed a single tear.

September 30, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Observer

Of course you won't. We wouldn't expect anything more of you.

September 30, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • LivinginVA

How sad that you can actually wish another human being ill. I hope you don't consider yourself a Christian.

September 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • stejo

Jack, I'm ashamed to be the same species as you, much less, from the same country.

September 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • Big George in Big D

That makes two of us! Good lord, how repugnant! Back in the Viet Nam era, the military stood for MEN and no gays were allowed even close to the front lines. Our fighting men didn't want their lives to be in the hands of some wussie!

September 30, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • Observer

stejo,

You are certainly not alone in being ashamed of people like that.

September 30, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Huh?

And how will they know they are gay? You mean by their flamboyant colorful uniforms and make up they wear? Idiot.

September 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Mplh89

And this is the support you would show someone willing to wear the uniform in defense of this country? You, sir, are an ass.

September 30, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Matt - Bethlehem, PA

You are such an a$$...gays have been in the military for as long as anyone can remember. These same gay people you are wishing ill or would not shed a tear over are the same group of people who provided you the right or defend your right to spew your hate.

You sir are not American...maybe you are physically, but not in spirit or patriotism.

September 30, 2011 at 2:30 pm |