home
RSS
Muslim superhero comics meet resistance in U.S.
The Muslim-themed comic series 'The 99' has been blasted by a small group of critics of Islam in the United States.
October 5th, 2011

Muslim superhero comics meet resistance in U.S.

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) - Naif Al-Mutawa anticipated a struggle when he launched an Islam-inspired comic book series that he hoped would become a symbol of toleration.

He worried about the comics being banned in Saudi Arabia - which wound up happening, briefly – and he expected to be challenged by conservatives in Islam, since Al-Mutawa wanted to buck the trend of Islamic culture being directly tied to the Koran.

But it wasn’t an Islamic cleric that stalled the series, called “The 99,” after the 99 attributes of Allah, which the superheroes are supposed to embody.

It is the American market, and the voices of Islam’s Western critics, that have caused the most problems for “The 99,” says Al-Mutawa, who is the focus of a PBS documentary airing next week.

In 2010, President Barack Obama called the comic books, which debuted in 2006, “the most innovative response” to America’s expanding dialogue with the Muslim world, which Obama has encouraged. The series features 99 superheroes from across the globe who team up to combat villains and who embody what Al-Mutawa calls basic human values like trust and generosity.

But Al-Mutawa, a Kuwaiti-born clinical psychologist and graduate of Columbia Business School, says a vocal minority have raised surprising questions about American tolerance of Islam.

Meeting resistance

The idea for “The 99” started during a conversation in a London cab between Al-Mutawa and his sister. It took off, although slowly, after Al-Mutawa raised $7 million from 54 investors across four continents.

The first issue was released during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan in 2006. The comic book was quickly banned in Saudi Arabia and Al-Mutawa received threats of fatwas against him and his project from clerics. But Saudi Arabia eventually lifted the ban and the television adaptation of “The 99” will be aired there this year.

Al-Mutawa and his team have now raised more than $40 million in venture capital for the project.

But when word leaked that The Hub, a Discovery Channel cable and satellite television venture, purchased the series and planned to air it in the United States, the response from conservative bloggers and authors was swift.

A burqa-wearing superhero?

Pamela Geller, founder of the Atlas Shrugs blog, called the series, part of the “ongoing onslaught of cultural jihad,” and created a counter-comic strip that made the 19 hijackers behind the September 11, 2001 attacks the superheroes.

New York Post columnist Andrea Peyser, meanwhile, urged readers to “Hide your face and grab the kids. Coming soon to a TV in your child’s bedroom is a posse of righteous, Sharia-compliant Muslim superheroes - including one who fights crime hidden head-to-toe by a burqa.”

According to Al-Mutawa, the criticism spooked The Hub. “All of a sudden we couldn't get an airdate and I was asked to be patient and we have been,” Al-Mutawa said. “But it has been a year and the actual push-back died down.”

Mark Kern, Senior Vice President of Communication for The Hub, told CNN that “‘The 99’ is one of the many shows we have on the possible schedule, but at this time, no decisions have been made about scheduling.”

Al-Mutawa isn’t shy about responding to the criticism his comics have received in the U.S. “There is nothing different from them and the extremists in my country,” he says. “They are just as bad. They are just intellectual terrorists.”

Geller, author of the book “Stop the Islamization of America,” called Al-Mutawa’s statement “ridiculous victimhood rhetoric.”

“He is the one mainstreaming oppression and discrimination,” Geller says. “I work for equality of rights for all people. So which one of us is the intellectual terrorist?”

Geller also takes issue with Al-Mutawa’s assertion that “The 99” exemplifies “moderation” and “toleration,” pointing to a “burqa-wearing superhero.”

But Al-Mutawa says criticisms of burqas are evidence that, “for some people anything to do with Islam is bad.”

“How cliché is it that characters created to promote tolerance are getting shot down by extremists,” he says.

Chronicling the ordeal

Al-Mutawa’s frustrations are chronicled in the new documentary “Wham! Bam! Islam!,” which will air on PBS on October 13 as part of the Independent Lens series.

The film’s director, Isaac Solotaroff, began shooting before the comic was released.

He said that one of the most surprising aspects of the story is how “a very small group of people who scream very loud, have a disproportionate share of the public discourse when it comes to culture.”

Echoing Al-Mutawa, Solotaroff calls it a case of the tail wagging the dog. He says that initial concerns of censorship in the Middle East began to change as the project progressed.

“We were waiting for a fatwa from a cleric in Saudi Arabia, Solotaroff says,” when it ended up being the U.S. market that has been resistant to “The 99.”

“Realizing that The 99 will not survive if focused solely on the Middle East, Al-Mutawa must now target an international and predominantly non-Muslim market,” reads the website for “Wham! Bam! Islam!”

Citing The Hub holdup, Solotaroff says the project is now stuck in the most important market” for “The 99.”

Al-Mutawa is also trying to gain distribution for his TV series in France and other countries, but his main focus remains the United States.

“One way or the other,” he says, “‘The 99’ will get on air in the U.S.”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Books • Islam • TV

1. Asok Asus

"In 2010, President Barack Obama called the comic books, which debuted in 2006, “the most innovative response” to America’s expanding dialogue with the Muslim world"

Well, there's the kiss of death right there. Look what it did to Solyndra, and "The 99" didn't even get a free half billion taxpayer dollars to steal before they crash and burn.

October 5, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
    • THE BROWN NOTE

who is this barrack guy

and why does it keep calling itself president

i didnt vote for it

October 5, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
    • tallulah13

Hey Brown Note? The majority of Americans voted for Barrack Obama. That is why he is President. You were outvoted. Sorry.

October 6, 2011 at 12:35 am |
    • THE BROWN NOTE

then the majority of this country are idiots

even cnn has posted articles that state regret for advocating the tool

cant wait till we have a real president

it isnt my president if i didnt vote for it

maybe i should run for president

since im a minority

and people will feel sorry for my childhood

i dont have any experience in politics

so ill be perfect for the job just like that idiot

October 6, 2011 at 12:39 am |
    • Jack

Brown Note, please stop talking

October 6, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • THE BROWN NOTE

only if you stop breathing jack

October 6, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
    • Nate

Actually the corporations voted for Obama. They have more voting power than us puny citizens.

October 7, 2011 at 10:39 am |
  2. steve

"Al-Mutawa wanted to buck the trend of Islamic culture being directly tied to the Koran."

Ok somebody is an idiot. This is like saying you want the Christianity without the bible or the Judaism without the Torah. Perhaps he meant the Arabic culture?

October 5, 2011 at 9:59 pm |
    • Welll There It Is Then

How about Widad, Noora and Mumita in the hot tub together? (and Hadya when she turns 18 of course). There now, simple and childish and you know you want to see it. These super hero babes are smokin' hot amd exotic and from all over the world.

October 5, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
    • Doug

He didn't say without, he said directly tied, many aspects of Jewish and christian culture are not directly from the bible or torah.

October 5, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  3. James

Well, who the Hell Cares about a Muslim Super Hero–Keep their crappy comics away from the USA–

October 5, 2011 at 9:55 pm |
    • sigh...

People that would want these comic books, are the thousands of Muslim Americans that live in the USA. Don't say "keep it away from the USA" like everyone that lives here is on your side. This country is built on diversity, so if people don't have problems with the abundance of christian comics produced in America, then whats the big deal with the making of one for Muslims. Don't be arrogant, and don't be bias.

October 6, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  4. Wham! Bam! Islam!

If you are interested in learning more about the film and watching the trailer, please visit our Facebook page here:

October 5, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
    • 2011cnn2011

ISLAM SHUT UP.

October 5, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
    • 2011cnn2011

ISLAM= THE ILLEGAL RELIGION

October 5, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
  5. lb309

The downfall of this comic will not be anti muslim sentiment it will be superheroes with powers like 'trust' and 'generosity'.

October 5, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
    • GodPot

As is the downfall of anyone who does not embrace the dog eat dog capitalist mentality we cherish so deeply...

October 5, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
    • captain america

You rang?

October 5, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
  6. Central Scrutinizer

@mariposa
    I watched it. Not impressed. I wonder how many people they inter-viewed until they had enough really ignorant people to make their video. I asked my 10-year-old the same questions and she answered cor-rectly right away. Common knowledge taught in school. Also, asking a person "would you kil-l those that will die anyway to protect yourself, or die rather than pull the trig-ger" is inherently unfair. None of know what we do under that kind of stress. It is like asking a parent which kid they would sac-rifice if they had to. This is an important (though off-topic) topic, but it seems self-serving in this case. The holo-caust and Hit-ler will never be forgot-ten. Even so, it is still repeated quite frequently on a smaller scale. I think this doc-umentarian is talking to the wrong audience!

October 5, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
    • Mariposa

I respect your opinion!!! don't agree with it though. 🙂 🙂 🙂

October 5, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
    • Mariposa

by the way I have a question: are you pro-life or pro-choice?

October 5, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

@mariposa
      Pro-Choice 100%
      What do you disagree with? Do you think they kept the first 10 interviews and ran with it? These are dumb people being exploited.

October 5, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
    • Mariposa

No I don't believe they kept the first 10 interviews, of course not, I'm sure there were people that didn't change their stand...I think you totally missed the point though, and what they are presenting here. Did it make you think at all? not one bit? are you made of stone? How come I do know, that I know that I know what I would do if I was presented in those situations? I know what's in my heart, I know what I beleive, I know what I would do. Those questions reveal what's in your heart, and what you beleive, that's what the host was trying to get at...yeah we can't imagine ourselves in those kind of situations, but we can stand behind an answer that comes from our morals, and most importantly what we beleive deep inside, it makes us think!!!

October 5, 2011 at 9:53 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

@mariposa
      Bull-shi-t. You have no idea how you would react.

October 5, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • John Richardson

@mariposa Unless you've been in the situation, all you know is how you HOPE you will react.

October 5, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Mariposa

I do know 100%...I have strong convictions, I know what I believe and why. Maybe that's the problem, there's a lot of people out there, that don't know what they beleive, you know like truly know deep inside their souls, hearts, and minds...when you know TRUTH, you know TRUTH...I know TRUTH!!! I have reassurance, and confidence in this. I will stand for my convictions, I will stand for the truth that I know. You can know what you will do, stress and pressure reveals what you truly believe, well if you know what you believe deeply you will know what you will do.

October 5, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

@mariposa
      Okey Dokey then.

October 5, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
    • John Richardson

@mariposa I work in a job that brings me into contact with lots and lots of "would doers" and a tiny smattering of actual doers. I have a low tolerance for bold talk unaccompanied by bold action.

October 5, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • Mariposa

@John Richardson
      You're not the only one, I do too, as many people do...I totally know what you mean!!!

October 5, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
    • Mariposa

action speaks louder than words...one of my convictions!!

October 5, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
    • Mariposa

@Central Scrutinizer
      I have to clarify something: I'm still human, and the people in the video are still human so we could make mistakes if presented with that kind of situation, we may do the wrong thing afterall, but that's not what the host was pointing out, obviously we wouldn't know unless we are there, what he was trying to reveal was what they believed as right or wrong to do, their morality in the moment it was being filmed...to prove a point! It would be unfair if someone presented someone with that situation literally with a gun, but not if you are asking them what they believe is right or wrong to do, anyone can ask that.

October 6, 2011 at 12:32 am |
    • Central Scrutinizer

@mariposa
      Exploitation of dummies. Straight up. People love a good car crash.

October 6, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
  7. Kelsey

Are they going to show little 6 year old girls like Mohammed's wife? What about the "tolerance of Islam" with other religions, women and gays?

October 5, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
    • 2011cnn2011

BAN ISLAM

October 5, 2011 at 9:40 pm |
  8. Mariposa

Hey everyone...watch this...it's 33 minutes so make sure you have time!!! It's amazing!!! It may shock you...don't ignore just watch and share!!!

October 5, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

October 5, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
  9. CheeseSteak

What a bunch of kook we silly humans are. All full of ourselves while the nuclear sun slowly burns out only to find that nothing is beyond this mortal coil.

October 5, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
    • CheeseSteak

Nothing

October 5, 2011 at 7:50 pm |
    • CheeseSteak

Nada

October 5, 2011 at 7:50 pm |
    • CheeseSteak

Zilch

October 5, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
    • herbert juarez

Or you could just be the most wrong person to ever come down the pike. God bless

October 5, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

@Herbert
      God bless you Herbert. God bless you so much it hurts. I am blessing you and it is hurting but I don't care because I want you blesed by God so I want God to Bless you so much it makes the angels cry. GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!!!

October 5, 2011 at 9:23 pm |
  10. BMW

Cracking that dark code, number 9 a 'satanic' number.

October 5, 2011 at 7:43 pm |
    • Chokomoko

Id like the superhero better if she had 69 on her shoulder instead!

October 5, 2011 at 7:47 pm |
    • There It Is Then

@Chokomoko
      Well since you had to go there, how about Widad, Noora and Mumita in the hot tub together? (and Hadya when she turns 18 of course). There now, simple and childish and you know you want to see it.

October 5, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  11. George IV

Put it on the Internet and get sponsors. Fundamentalists are fundamentalists, regardless of their faith(i.e. Christian, Jewish, Muslim). They act as if they are incapable of being wrong. That is the problem. Good luck to him.

October 5, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  12. hippypoet fan

All the 99 super hero chicks are hot but "Hope Mendoza" is smokin'. Think I will start watching cartoons. Crunchy Groove, put down that SPF 50. That is NOT what it is for!

October 5, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
  13. Central Scrutinizer

I know one thing, those little Christian Veggies are going to get their as-ses handed to them by that ninja chick.

October 5, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
  14. Steve

LOL "tolerant" comic book...with a woman covered up and being objectfied on the front cover....HAHAHAAHAHAHAHA. Where in the Koran does it say women have to be ninjas exactly? This the same type of religous indoctrination that people have used for thousands of years to convert people subtley.

October 5, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
    • Steve

I wonder how the Hero gets around since she cant drive and can only travel with her husband or family members?? haha how idiotic.

October 5, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
    • *frank*

LOL.

October 5, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
    • ImpishLisa

I am sick of Islam being shoved down my throat. People Reject Christianity with hate, why the blankity blank are we sucking up to islam?

October 5, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Red

How exactly is she 'objectified' by being on the front cover? She isn't being 'cheesecaked', thank goodness. She is shown being strong, determined and heroic, unlike many of here other times we had a female on the cover, she is posed to show her T&A.

And if you can PROVE that this is indoctrination, go right ahead. The first issue of the comic is available fr free download. http://www.the99.org/ At least show that you actually KNOW what you're talking about. You're no different from the people who complained about Harry Potter and people wailing that it would convert people to witchcraft, yet they have NEVER even picked up the books.

October 9, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  15. AtheistSteve

Here's a superhero comic(if not book) moment.
    Sarah Palin is NOT running for leadership of the GOP.
    Well... that's one less bad guy to worry about at least.

October 5, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
    • steveinmo

Oh man, and I was so looking fwd to the SNL sketches. There was tons of entertainment to be mined from that possibiltiy alone.

October 5, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
    • Igor

The SNL cartoon with all the presidential candidates on Oprah was hysterical. To wit, Giuliani's rear end tattoos, McCain's swipe at Perlosi, etc.

October 5, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
  16. Really???

Looks like a kiddie prosthelytization tool for indoctrination & radicalization. Once a child believes in a "hero" it is hard for them to believe anything ill about that "hero" no matter what they read in the Koran later. I guess the "99 super heroes" will be forceful in their pursuit of their religion's virtues and overcome ALL resistance to the perfection that they embody. Sadly, it can also lead children to think that since the "heroes" have Islamic virtue anyone who does not embrace Islam must therefore be "the evil villains"! Seems like a perfect tool for recruiters to use on a semi-literate disenfranchised youth. You know, the sacrificial sheeple extremists love to lure from their moderate families.

October 5, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • steveinmo

I disagree. I grew up a big Batman fan and wanted to be him when I was a kid. When I read those comics in the 60's growing up, I read them not as the campy entertainment of the time but as the dark, rage-filled man portrayed in the current movie series. Even at 6 years old, I already understood the reality of what a person driven to that point would have to be like.

But once I grew up, and after I was Saved, I now look at it as just a story, with many bad themes and messages. That story advocates revenge, anger, violence, retribution, taking the law into your own hands, self-will, and pride. That's just about everything that most religions are against. I see many kids who've grown into adults and not been brainwashed by that comic. I don't see very many masked, winged vigilantes running around out there... That's where the parent takes responsibility to guide and properly nurture their children, to teach right and wrong – not different shades of gray.

October 5, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

steveinmo

true about the missed SNL opportunities.
      But as far as Batman. or almost any major superhero, they all have some personal demons to overcome. Superman lost his entire planet and family, Hulk loathed his lost intellect and rage, heck even Ghost Rider fought his own damnation to mete out justice. In the end the bad guys were always worse with little regard for life whereas the hero could find compassion and mercy.

October 5, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
    • Really???

There are young teens being indoctrinated by the radicals right now. The young are very impressionable & this has great capacity to be misused as an opening lure to the gullible. I suggest you read recent articles describing the radicalization of Somalian immigrants' children. It strikes me as very odd indeed that Saudi Arabia is not vehemently against this when cartoons of just their prophet provoke fury. Aren't these cartoons supposed to be heroic representations of the 99 aspects of their GOD? Are cartoons now allowed now or is this just special dispensation for prosthelytization purposes?

October 5, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
    • steveinmo

Perhaps true on the indoctrination aspect in Somalia and other parts of the world. But this article is about getting published in the U.S., which is still a free country where censorship is illegal. It's his right to publish it if he wants. It's our responsibility as parents to ensure what our children are reading or being influenced by, and to ensure the welfare of our loved ones and even our neighbor, not govt censorship. If parents took these actions instead of relying on schools or the govt who aren't doing it, we wouldn't have the gang troubles we do, nor the indoctrination issues you worry about here. But this can't be legislated, because to do so is violates our C o n s t i t u t i o n.

October 5, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
    • steveinmo

This is a real joke, when I have to put a space between every letter in C o n s t i t u t i o n. What is CNN afraid of, and what is the motive behind this restriction?

October 5, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
  17. Rob

I KNOW WHAT WE DO! if we dont like it...we dont read it!
    I know revolutionary right?

October 5, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
    • steveinmo

but...but...but...that doesn't fit in with our polarized, intolerant, lawsuit crazed, let's legislate freedom away society... What will we ever do without those vices and devices, get along and learn to love each other again?

October 5, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
  18. imastarchick

I am 40 something and I make it a point to audit all the media my children are viewing. And these catoons' religious drivel is uninspiring. Many secular cartoons for children are very rich, covering deep and even controversial themes. Veggie Tales do not. I think it is a reflection of the shallowness of a large section of popular Christianity I hope 99 is not the same for Islam. I would like to see some of those issues explored a little deeper rather than having a propaganda machine for Islam as Veggie Tales is for Christianity.

October 5, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
    • imastarchick

was a response to steveinmo... CNN comment section freaking out...

October 5, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
    • steveinmo

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Never watched VT personally so can't say anymore on that.

October 5, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • Red

The characters are never once specified to be of any religious background. In fact, it's up in the air.

i suggest you read the comic before making up your mind about it. The first issue is available free for download in English. http://www.the99.org/

October 9, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  19. imastarchick

I am 40 something and I make it a point to audit all the media my children are viewing. And these catoons' religious drivel is uninspiring. Many secular cartoons for children are very rich, covering deep and even controversial themes. Veggie Tales do not. I rather think it is a reflection of the shallowness of a large section of popular Christianity I hope 99 is not the same for Islam. I would like to see some of those issues explored a little deeper rather than having a propaganda machine for Islam as Veggie Tales is for Christianity.

October 5, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  20. Muneef

And We send down of the Qur'an that which is healing and mercy for the believers, but it does not increase the wrongdoers except in loss.
    ---–

Sahih International
    And [for] every person We have imposed his fate upon his neck, and We will produce for him on the Day of Resurrection a record which he will encounter spread open.17:14

[It will be said], "Read your record. Sufficient is yourself against you this Day as accountant."17:15

Whoever is guided is only guided for [the benefit of] his soul. And whoever errs only errs against it. And no bearer of burdens will bear the burden of another. And never would We punish until We sent a messenger.17:16

And when We intend to destroy a city, We command its affluent but they defiantly disobey therein; so the word comes into effect upon it, and We destroy it with [complete] destruction.17:17

And how many have We destroyed from the generations after Noah. And sufficient is your Lord, concerning the sins of His servants, as Acquainted and Seeing.17:18

Whoever should desire the immediate – We hasten for him from it what We will to whom We intend. Then We have made for him Hell, which he will [enter to] burn, censured and banished.17:19

But whoever desires the Hereafter and exerts the effort due to it while he is a believer – it is those whose effort is ever appreciated [by Allah ].17:20

To each [category] We extend – to these and to those – from the gift of your Lord. And never has the gift of your Lord been restricted.17:21

Look how We have favored [in provision] some of them over others. But the Hereafter is greater in degrees [of difference] and greater in distinction.17:22

Do not make [as equal] with Allah another deity and [thereby] become censured and forsaken.17:23
    ---
    Sahih International
    The seven heavens and the earth and whatever is in them exalt Him. And there is not a thing except that it exalts [ Allah ] by His praise, but you do not understand their [way of] exalting. Indeed, He is ever Forbearing and Forgiving.17:45

And when you recite the Qur'an, We put between you and those who do not believe in the Hereafter a concealed part-i-tion.17:46

And We have placed over their hearts coverings, lest they understand it, and in their ears deafness. And when you mention your Lord alone in the Qur'an, they turn back in aversion.17:47
    ----
    Sahih International
    And We have certainly honored the children of Adam and carried them on the land and sea and provided for them of the good things and preferred them over much of what We have created, with [definite] preference.17:71

[Mention, O Muhammad], the Day We will call forth every people with their record [of deeds]. Then whoever is given his record in his right hand – those will read their records, and injustice will not be done to them, [even] as much as a thread [inside the date seed].17:72

And whoever is blind in this [life] will be blind in the Hereafter and more astray in way.17:73
    ----

October 5, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • ImpishLisa

More supposed quotes from long dead people does not make it a must for everyone to kowtow to them.
      America – One Nation Under GOD. Not Islam. Get over it.

October 5, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
    • Muneef

One nation under GOD is fine with me since each will respect the other...!

October 5, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
    • THE BROWN NOTE

please stop posting scriptures from that crappy book please

its full of hate

not tolerance

just like the bible

one nation without god

is so much better

October 5, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
    • Muneef

TBN.

Better then you move to a land who has no GOD....!

October 6, 2011 at 7:03 am |
    • Muneef

October 6, 2011 at 7:50 am |
    • THE BROWN NOTE

muneef

the universe is full of land with no god

the entire thing

the ground you sleep on has no god

so pucker the piehole