home
RSS
Your take: Is Mormonism a cult?
The Rev. Robert Jeffress, who supports Texas Gov. Rick Perry, stirred a hornet's nest by saying he believes Mormonism is a cult.
October 11th, 2011

Your take: Is Mormonism a cult?

(CNN) - We ran a column Monday from Richard Mouw, president of Fuller Theological Seminary, an evangelical school in Pasadena, California, called "My Take: This evangelical says Mormonism isn’t a cult."

Mouw followed up on comments that the Rev. Robert Jeffress made at the Values Voter Summit, where he introduced and endorsed Texas Gov. Rick Perry.  After Perry spoke, Jeffress told reporters in the hallway and in subsequent interviews that he thought Mormonism is a cult and that evangelicals should not vote for former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney because of his faith and a host of other reasons.

The piece drew out the passions of readers on all sides of the issue and racked up 11,000 Facebook likes and 2,500 comments.

Here's a nonscientific collection of your thoughts on the matter:

There were a number of comments from Mormons who appreciated the article and shared their thanks.

Tanner

As a Mormon, I appreciate your fair synopsis in defense of my religion, Mr. Mouw.

Mynamesmiketoo

Being a Mormon myself, I can testify that our religion is not a cult and Joseph Smith is not our head. Jesus Christ is the leader and he is the cornerstone of His church "built on a foundation of prophets and apostles." I also know it is through the atonement of Christ all mankind may be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel. Romney is (definitely) a Christian. We are "the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"; we are just nicknamed "Mormon" because of another testament we hold sacred and true. I ask you visit mormon.org for more info.

There were also a number of comments from Christians who said the Church of Jesus Christ of  Latter-day Saints fell outside the bounds of historical Christianity.

Jeff

To a Christian who believes in the historical Jesus and His church, the Mormon church is by definition a cult. It is in no manner offensive to say that to a true believer of Mormonism, for he/she understands the essentials of their belief system and how they differ. Mainstream Christianity shares in the beliefs about the essentials of our faith - who God is, the three persons within the godhead and their roles, what we are called to, and how one must be saved and live their life. None of this takes away the earthly redeemable qualities of Mormonism such as their commitment to taking care of each other, purity in worship, the role of the church in all matters, etc. But it is not the historical Christianity we know. And btw, many large and small denominations that purport to be part of mainstream Christianity have also distorted the historical belief system of the church.

ThsIsNotReal22

Mormonism may not be a cult, but it is a major heresy.

And as always there was a hearty amount of feedback from atheists and nonbelievers about how all religions were cults by definition.

Nodack

All religions are cults. Sorry.

Because this issue was raised in a political spectrum, it got a lot of people thinking about the intersections between religion and politics.

TheTraveler

Don't even care. Every election year we get the same stupid side-tracking non-issues. ...

Don

It is really a non-issue. We can have a Mormon president as long as he puts the nation first and acts responsibly. We can have a Muslim president as long as he puts the nation first and acts responsibly. We can have a Jewish president as long as he puts the nation first and acts responsibly. Christians have no exclusive lock on love for country or responsible behavior. That should be obvious. I look forward (to) the day when our list of U.S. presidents is as diverse as our citizens. When we get to that point we will have been true to the promise of America that all men were created equal and endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights and among these are the right to run for political office and be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their religious beliefs.

David M.

Speaking as a Christian, I'm not concerned about Romney being a Mormon. Nor am I concerned that the next president has to be an evangelical Christian. Jimmy Carter is a devout Christian, but I disagreed with a lot of his politics. I don't vote for someone just because they are a Christian, or not vote for someone because they are not a Christian. I'm concerned about their political positions.

The evangelical church in America thinks if we just get the "right" people in office, then all will be well. Nothing could be further from the truth. God is very clear in Scripture, calling out His people to turn from their wicked ways, call on His name, humble themselves and pray, then He will hear from Heaven and heal their land. It's clearly in the lap of the church, not the lap of the president. Speaking again as a Christian, we in the church have failed miserably, and God will hold us to account.

You can read more from the CNN Belief Blog here and keep the conversation going.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Church • Church and state • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mitt Romney • Politics

« Previous entry
  1. Central Scrutinizer

Well.....

I am leaving. I don't know who is who any more. The jerks who are too stupid to argue their own positions and steal other people's handles have made me sad. Hippy Poet and Tom Tom, you are my friends. And I know you will go out in the REAL world and take of business just as I will. CS

October 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Good night, Scrutinizer. I am chuffed that you are my friend.

October 11, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
    • hippypoet

go with the LIGHT OF THE ONE TRUE BRINGER OF LIFE AND GIVER OF FREE REUSEBLE ENERGY... THE ALMIGHTY SUN!

October 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

@LS

I am equally chuffed and I shall return when I sense the losers have had their diapers changed.

Hippy, the sun is always shining in my world. Stay lathered up my friend!

October 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
    • Samsword

Take care Scrutinizer! Hope to see you when you get back.

October 11, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
    • Central Scrutinzier

@samsword
      Thanks my friend. Right back atcha. I just need to shake off the.....well you know. It is a shame we can't come here and have a conversation without some little jack-holes getting their feelings hurt and....well you know. I will certainly look for you Sam. Until then.

October 12, 2011 at 1:14 am |
    • TruthPrevails

Central: Don't let the trolls force you out. They are the true hypocrites. However, if you must go, be in peace and enjoy. You will be missed here.

October 12, 2011 at 4:00 am |
  2. Scott

I have a question that may sound silly or perhaps offensive to some on here. If you are Christian and pray to Jesus aren't you breaking the first commandment. Thou shall have no other God before me. But then I hear some say that Jesus is my Lord and the like, is that not breaking the first commandment also. And if we get around the that and say that in heaven they are one and the same therefore not breaking the first commandment, then everyone with a Jesus crucifix, statue or any other graven image is breaking the second commandment. Thou shall not make a graven image of God. But like I said either Jesus is not God = breaking first commandment or Jesus is God = breaking second commandment.

October 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
    • Richard Kaiser

@ Scott,,,,,, ,,,,,, ,, ,

GOD, the Holy Oceanic Sea of Nothingness can never be imaged let alone be measured or cut into pieces. The ancient Grecian Theologians called the Holy Oceanic Sea of Nothingness, 'Chaos'. Therefore, no graven image can accurately duplicate Chaos, the GOD who is Nothingness. From the Nothingness of Outer Space to the very most depths of Inner Space, Nothingness reigns and does ever keep distances in relative order. An atom is distanced from it's core to its' outer element(s) by Nothingness much the same way that a star is distantly away from its' planets. Hence I say, "The Celestial Spaces of the Oceanic Sea of Nothingness gives to all matter their inwardly rivers and streams and creeks of Nothingness concerns,"

October 11, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
    • Ben

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints don't pray to Jesus. We pray to God and close our prayer "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen". Thanks for the question, and good thought. It's nice to see people who read the Bible and have sincere, honest, thoughtful questions.

October 14, 2011 at 10:26 am |
  3. Richard Kaiser

Sorry for a 3rd posting CNN, but I just hate being on the bottom!

GOD was the 1st and only Holy Sea of Nothingness called by the ancient Grecians as being 'Chaos' who did yawn and made manifest the elemental gods. The very 1st elemental god did never ever sway from doing the will of Chaos his Father. Even when the time came for Chaos to give to us a sacrificial lamb of manhood who was GOD's (Chaos) first born elemental god, this god did not sway from his Father's wisdom. So the 'prophecy' was fulfilled and GOD's first elemental god became Christ Jesus, the redeemer of all souls/spirits past, present and future. All the elemental gods rejoice in their King's death as a man and in so taking the cross did redeem all things' souls/spirits toward the coming of a newer Heaven and upon a newer Earth to be built out of all the things of celestial matter. Thusly, do the elemental gods promote the welfares of all celestial Life no matter their shapes or forms. May the GOD who was once called Chaos ever be the unaltering oceanic sea of Nothingness for the sakes of All Celestial Life in whatever form they are given and to take safe harborage wherever permitted upon the Universes’ Celestial Seas of Chaos's determinations.

October 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • hippypoet

well your going to hell so get use to that whole bottom thing. unless you walk into the LIGHT OF THE ALMIGHTY SUN! then you will only burn now while your alive... LOL!

October 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • Richard Kaiser

@ hippypoet,,,,,, ,,,,,, ,, ,

No thank you poet, for I would rather stay within the body of Gaia, She is so faithful toward all Life that dwells upon her bosomed being. I escaped from that tormenting sun of the damned and if it weren't for Gaia, our motherly earth, I would have been lost amid the Seas of vast Nothingness! Gaia has saved many lost photons and she always will until the damned sun grows so old and feeble, but that is so very far into the future, I need not worry. Give praises to Gaia poet and turn away from the sun's deviousness! For Chaos's sake, I beg you poet, turn away!

October 11, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
    • Samsword

How come the moon gets no love? 😉

October 11, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
    • Richard Kaiser

Samsword writes, "How come the moon gets no love?"

I'll ask Chaos,,,,,,eeerrrr, "Chaos, Samsword wants to know why the moon gets no love. Will you Chaos, give his question some consideration and respond to him?"

Hoot, I'll ask Gaia, "Gaia, you loving lady who has given your all for the benefits of the many, could you please answer me this? Samsword wants to know, How is the moon that orbits around you, able to be loved or even love?"

🙂 & 😦 = 😦 + 😦 & 🙂 + 🙂

October 11, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
  4. Central Scrutinizer

Blinded by it my brother. Now lather up and don't bogart.

October 11, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

My fail, wrong spot.

October 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  5. Bucky Ball

The use of the term "cult" these days mostly means "non-mainstream" religion.
    This whole discussion of "Christians believe this" and Mormons believe that" is off the mark.
    Clearly both groups are not monolithic. Clearly many, (most) believers in both groups believe some nutty things.
    For example some Christians say they believe in the Virgin birth. This despite the fact that Mathew spends the majority of his first chapter attempting to establish that Yeshua stood in the Davidic line, through his father Joseph, then says Joseph was NOT the father ? Oops. On the other side the entire "Book of Abraham" thing is beyond farcical, and Smith's translation of hieroglyphs before the arrival of knowledge of the Rosetta stone is preposterous. BUT, all that aside,
    the question of whether or not a group stands inside or outside the Judeo-Christian tradition is not so much about whether they accept this or that, as it is about the PROCESS involved. Judeo-Christianities DEVELOPED from a long and complex culturally based process, (almost) always associated with communities of worshipers, which were the ultimate arbiter, (by inclusion or not into their liturgical celebrations), of the texts which they accepted as the authentic experience of that community, (and those that were found wanting were considered "heretical" or simply not used in the celebrations), (thus were left out, eventually, from their canon). The problem with the group in question of this article, is that it was concocted by one uneducated man, not an organic evolution from a community. The PROCESS is flawed, and thus historically, by being inconsistent with that process can be judged to be historically "unchristian" and"unbiblical". For one man, in his cultural (and educational) vacuum, to stand up and make up things and declare them as authentic is not consistent with the known and accepted Judeo-Christian community's validation process, and it's one of the reasons he got so far off the mark. He seemed to be unaware of this actual process, even though some of the centers of biblical form and literary criticism, (especially in Austria-Germany (ie Tubingen University)) HAD begun to be aware of the historical, (archeologically validated) processes, (and eventually at Harvard and Yale and Princeton, and I'm sure other places I don't know about), by the time Smith was doing his thing. It IS "unchristian" because it is inconsistent with the way the Christian traditions developed, ALL of which were community based, and none popped out of ONE man's (flawed, and uneducated) imagination. I am no Christian, but historical authenticity is an issue here.

October 11, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
    • claybigsby

"The use of the term "cult" these days mostly means "non-mainstream" religion"

Nope, the term "Cult" means all religion. Cults do not discriminate

October 12, 2011 at 8:43 am |
    • Eve

The Bible indicates that Mary was also of Davidic descent, so Joseph would have been king by birthright, but Christ was a descendant of David through Mary as well. Just saying.

November 3, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
  6. hippypoet

TOM TOM THE PIPER'S SUN HAS BECOME A MEMBER OF THE HOUSE OF THE SUN, WE WELCOME ALL. MAY THE SUN SHINE UPON ALL PEOPLE FROM ALL RACES. MAY THE LIGHT BE WITH YOU ALWAYS.

October 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hippy, I love your posts. Some little dwarf is upset because I ridiculed him/her. Ignore it. I have nothing but fondness for you.

October 11, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • hippypoet

its cool, i am not being insulting... just preaching the power of the true provider of life and energy on our planet, THE ALMIGHTY SUN!

October 11, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I know you aren't. I'm not the author of the posts-I think you're a hoot.

Some little dickfor got his little feeeeeelinnngs hurt and thinks he's clever.

October 11, 2011 at 10:08 pm |

What a fraud.

October 11, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

There he goes again. This is REALLY beginning to irritate me.

October 11, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • Answer

Tom Tom has an gnat buzzing about him now. Much like the copycat William Demuth.
      What did you say to that gnat to get him to copy ya? I can imagine the little gnat is angry at something – it's amusing.

October 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I've probably hurt the feelings of a believer. I've never met one that wasn't a complete 'tard.

October 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, I'm flattered! I must have really injured his/her pride. It's probably some yutz like herbie or Dickie. They get so upset when people don't respect their authoritay! /channeling Cartman

October 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
    • Answer

Ya I understand! It so sad and funny to see on these ridiculous blogs. I do hope you two come down to exchanging vileness. It's far more entertaining than calling each other 'childish' though. Start off with 'maggots' and roll from there. Either one of you will do 🙂 Thanks.

October 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Nope. I have a job and need some shut-eye. I'll let my little suck-up have at it. Poor thing is needy.

October 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
    • Answer

Understandable Tom Tom. One point to you. Have a good night,

October 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I am a winner! : ) Have a good night.

October 11, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
    • Answer

There is never a winner. Only valid points.

The only real winner is death. You and I will both die one day. Goes for all the rest of humanity.
      So one point is earn for the Tom who has logged off.

October 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
    • Frank Bund

I'm not aware of how this points system works amongst trolls, but neither of them deserve any points in my book. The original "Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son" is an awful troll that gives a bad name to Atheists. I can't imagine the grotesque taste in the mouth of Christians when they see the insults flying. No wonder they think we're all evil. I almost never post, but I couldn't help myself after observing this atrocious individual's behavior this evening. I've watched for a couple of weeks now and I just feel awful about what I'm seeing. Insult after insult. This individual can't possibly be happy in it's own skin.

October 11, 2011 at 11:05 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Poor little fella. If you are so put off, why are you reading what I post?

By the way, I've never said I was an atheist. Please get a clue.

October 12, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
    • YeahRight

It's funny how a Christian can justify stealing a handle in their head when stealing is a huge NO NO in their gods world. Hopefully if the person is a christian and stealing handles they can at least recognize the hypocrisy in it all. I love it when christians show how shallow they truly are too. LMAO!

October 12, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
  7. sfcanative

Mormons remain a confused lot with a confused message. Not only is their affiliation with the Christian moniker in question, they don't know whether to embrace or reject the term "Mormon". At their just completed October semi-annual General Conference, Mormon leadership instructed the worldwide church to no longer refer to themselves as Mormons. They have been instructed to use the full name of the church only, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They are to no longer refer to themselves as Mormons. All this while spending millions of dollars in six metropolitan areas on an "I'm a Mormon" campaign to reinforce the Mormon name. And millions more spent on their online presence at mormon.org. And what about the name of their choir? Mormons have always had a difficult time aligning and affiliating with mainstream society. While they want to be part of the world, they are betwixt and between. It will always be so–a peculiar people with peculiar beliefs. That is why they were branded as Mormons 175 years ago–and the name has rightfully stuck ever since.

October 11, 2011 at 9:51 pm |
    • LDSinSC

Sorry, your a little mixed up. We are not to refer to the church as the Mormon Church. However, I can say that I am a Mormon. Exapmple: If you were to ask me if I belong to the Mormon Church, I would respond, "I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints". If you asked "Are you a Mormon?", I could say "Yes, I am". The church has NEVER offically been called the Mormon Church. It was a nickname to mock us in the mid 1800's. In a way, we have come to embrace the nickname. I am proud to be a Mormon member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!

October 12, 2011 at 10:47 am |
    • vlaughlin

LDinSC– Is your addition to the Bible not called the "Book of Mormon?" I believe this is where the nickname comes from.

October 12, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • fred

LDSinSC
      I have not read your book so I have no idea if what I hear from the media is true. Tell me, do you believe and does your book say you will be a god over your own planet when you die?

October 12, 2011 at 11:33 am |
    • LindaSDF

fred, Our Book says that we are heirs of God and joint heirs with Jesus Christ. This is in the Book of Romans, the 8th chapter. IT's also in the Book of Galatians, 4th chapter.

October 13, 2011 at 12:29 am |
    • Ben

Direct quote from the talk you are referring to:

"Some may ask, what about the Internet sites such as Mormon.org as well as various Church-initiated media campaigns? As I said, referring collectively to members as Mormons is sometimes appropriate. As a practical matter, those outside of our faith come looking for us searching for that term. But once you open up Mormon.org, the proper name of the Church is explained on the home page, and it appears on each additional page on the site. It is impractical to expect people to type the full name of the Church when seeking to find us or when logging on to our website."

October 14, 2011 at 10:29 am |
  8. Central Scrutinizer

Unless you are rich and/or willing to be on the take AND Christian or pretending to be, you can't get anywhere in Washington.

That is bad because it omits the huge surplus of knowledgeable, intelligent and morally sound people we have in our great country, who are neither wealthy nor Christian, from wanting or being able to run for office.

The system is clearly broken. Smart leadership = success.

October 11, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
    • hippypoet

i see you have seen the LIGHT!

October 11, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

Blinded by it my brother. Now lather up and don't bogart. Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side!

October 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • hippypoet

puff puff pass my friend.

October 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  9. David Johnson

From the article:
    "Mouw countered he did not think the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly known as Mormonism, was a cult. He also said he was not ready to say it fit in with orthodox Christianity but noted there was dialogue between evangelicals and Mormons on a broad range of issues."

The Evangelicals are disgusting. I have way more respect for the Mormons. Since when did the Evangelicals become the "go- to-denomination", in America? They're opinion of the Mormons matters less to me than the Muslim's.

Cheers!

October 11, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>"Since when did the Evangelicals become the “go- to-denomination”, in America? "

The news has to have someone. They can't openly go against the whole of Christianity so a small vocal group makes for better news.

It's sorta like when things happen, on a national news level, with the African American community and who does CNN and FoxNews pull out as the voice and representatives of the community? Jesses Jackson or Al Sharpton. These types make for better news.

October 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  10. Rich Griese

I am not interested in the supernaturalism of Christianity, but am very interested in the study of the early history of the group. I am always happy to have others that are also interested in this topic contact me. My interest specifically is up till perhaps a generation or two after Irenaeus. But I would say I am interested in anything from the Maccabean revolt up till about 384CE when Christianity became the official religion of the Roman empire.

Cheers! RichGriese.NET

October 11, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
  11. Mr Chihuahua

The missionaries try to come on my porch but I bite them lol!

October 11, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Wow. Aren't you just hilarious.

October 11, 2011 at 9:40 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

I tie their shoelaces together, then I tie their skinny black ties together, then I break their gla-sses, then I let my dog pi-ss on them, then I chase them down the street nak-ed screaming "I am the Son of Satan!" Naturally I untie their shoelaces prior to the nak-ed part so they can run. Lisbeth please check my grammar.

October 11, 2011 at 9:51 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, look, I must have REALLY hit someone's nerve. You do know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, don't you, fraud?

No, you probably don't, being a 'tard.

October 11, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  12. captain america

Mormonism a cult? In a word -yes

October 11, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Thank you for pointing out the obvious! Have you considered getting your GED?

October 11, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Come on. You really need to grow some thicker skin. Did I hurt your feelings that bad? Be a man. If your feelings weren't hurt then you would completely ignore my posts.

October 11, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • captain america

Have you considered digging a red white and blue shield out of your butt?

October 11, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Have you ever wondered what it's like to be a man?

October 11, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hi, captain, ignore my stalker. He's all worked up.

October 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Again, that wasn't me. I'm certain I've gotten under the skin of a 10 year old with the mental capacity of a brick.

October 11, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  13. power hungry whor

i am a christian mormon and i am a g@y lover of christ,he had many g@y lovers,and i nailed him daily. he loves my wood

October 11, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  14. Van

First, the Baptist preacher insists that Mormonism is a cult. Then he pontificates that Mormons are not real Christians. Then he admits that Governor Perry is a member of his church; encouraging his audience to vote for him. Finally, the preacher warns all 'good Christians' not to vote for a cultic non-Christian like, for instance, Mitt Romney. When asked by Anderson Cooper (CNN) if, after all is said and done, only Obama and Romney are still in the race, would he vote for Romney, he said, "Yes, I will." QUESTION: Wouldn't that make the Baptist preacher a "flip-flopper"?

October 11, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
    • hippypoet

the answer is a simple one.. they don't have the light of the ALMIGHTY SUN.... let me help.

MAY THE ALMIGHTY SUN SHINE UPON THEM!

October 11, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

hippy poet, I am glad you got your buzz on. May the almighty Sun shine upon you my friend.

October 11, 2011 at 9:44 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Please shut up with the "ALMIGHTY SUN" yammering. This has been going on for some time now. It's really getting old.

October 11, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
    • hippypoet

oh whats a matter TOM TOM... did you lose your way... here MAY THE ALMIGHTY SUN LIGHT YOUR PATH. 🙂

October 11, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

@tom tom
      Sorry tom tom, but I do loves me some hippy poet sunshine yammering. Just lather on the SPF fiddy and go with the flow.

October 11, 2011 at 9:59 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Not me. Just my secret admirer. I apparently beat his azz and now he's sore.

October 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  15. hippypoet

Your loser gods son is not named jesus his name is Joshua, and he is an @sshole of a god to boot. here i'll show my point of view. And to make it a bit smooth for all you moron believers. k here goes!

he is a very nice, loving god that hates all other people but straight (non g@y) people who are not anyother religion then christians... yes, very loving and caring – i get a sense of pride in your god everytime i think about him... lets see, does he test abraham's faith in order to make sure he believes...yes, does your god nearly everytime he talks (laughible) claim to be the one true god...thats pride. did he create man then give him things and then take them away because we used them wrong...thats pride... did your god destory a few cities because they were doing what they wanted....thats a show of pride.....didn't your god create man in his image...whoa thats full of pride. .does your god say he has a chosen people..yup, thats pride too...did you god tell moses to take off his shoes in his presence...must have put new floors in recently, again pride...did god once say things then create a so called son so we would all remember...yup pride again..and finally, didn't your god comment murder when he allowed death in the garden, indircectly sure, but its his fault or else able would still be around..lol, i know, its pride again...so i am guessing if your god exists, i will see him or HER in hell! thank god your god makes so many mistakes or else i would have totally believed him/her to be a true god, maybe not the true god, but a god atleast. But god is supposed to be a perfect being...yours is full of pride, and fault...sounds very human to me. AND AGAIN ITS JOSHUA!

October 11, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • hippypoet

just think, your god oked the killing of his so called messiah line by allowing to death of able by cain. Joshua rose from the grave 3 days after the death and you morons are still waiting for his second coming... try third... for you woman, thats a real man.. too bad he preferrs men. or your book has it wrong. Your call.

October 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  16. Ray

What's the difference between a religion and a cult? A religion is a cult with political power.

October 11, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  17. kimsland

Hey he must have been real close friends to Warren Jeffs
    Being of the exact same church and all.

I don't trust these religious people one bit.
    They definitely should not be making political points of view for the countries children.

No one else feels the same?
    Religion and politics should not mix, especially a specific religion that had their leader put in jail for having a child bride!
    Obviously just like Robert Jeffress (pictured) him and Warren are the most closest to their god, if this is what they preach then they can go to hell (if such a place was real, which it isn't)

October 11, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You must have been good pals with Warren Jeffs. When do you turn 14?

October 11, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Knock it off, fraud. If you got your feelings hurt, grow a thicker skin.

October 11, 2011 at 9:58 pm |
    • kimsland

Tom tom tom tom tom tom tom.

NO I was one of the lucky ones, I didn't go to ANY church when I was a kid.
      I only hope that ALL other children get out of this Cult and ANY church before they are abused.
      If you go to church as a child you should expect to be abused, one way or another.
      I'm thinking Tommy here has been abused when he was young too, were you an alter boy Tom Tom?

October 12, 2011 at 12:43 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You're pretty slow on the uptake, kimmy. I'm not and never was a boy.

October 12, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
  18. LDS

@ Jeff
    The Members OF The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints. also believe in the trinity of the Godhead. God the Father. & of the Son & the Holy Ghost. We believe all three are of equal importance & would give the same council on any subject. we Pray to our Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus Christ who is our Savior & Redeemer The spirit of the Holy Ghost is with us always & prompts us to do things or not to, in our daily lives

October 11, 2011 at 7:35 pm |
    • THE BROWN NOTE

didnt you already post this

you know what prompts me to do things or not to do them

my decision making skills

nothing more

pretty fascinating stuff i know

these decision making skills

i learned them

and dodnt believe some magical sky fairy with furry jugs gave them to me and tells me what to do

October 11, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Richard Kaiser

@ THE BROWN NOTE

Freedom,,, the stuff that dreams are or not made from. Freedom gave to us,, people of which one's faith was put upon,,,, you know them as politicians, the dreamers' dreamboats,,,,looks as if they keep running aground,,,,,such is freedom,,,,,and faith and hopes and dreams,,,,hails to the freedom lovers of the political vessels,,,,

Luk 17:21 "Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is inside/within you."

I'm coming oh God of my inner-beings and may the mercies be upon those left here to find a commonality upon which to seek liberty and due justice upon those who think freedoms are wise issues to give to all. Choose Liberties and guidance toward persuing happiness,,,,, never search for freedom,,,,never was,,,,,never will be free-dumb.

October 11, 2011 at 9:15 pm |
    • Richard Kaiser

Tommie Tom Tommie is a name-calling son,
      went tp Piggly Wiggly away he did run.
      Once there Tom Tommie did ramble some,
      But in the end all he wanted was something to gum.

Chew Tommie Tom Tom upon your childish gum.
      Quit complaining to be ever such a dumb dumb.
      Piggly Wiggly will always be there don’t ya just know?
      Tommie Tom Tommie just go and try not to blow!

October 11, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Aww, Dickie, did I leave a mark on you? I feel just awful about that, but you know, I'm really flattered that you'd use my moniker! Sweetie, I hate to break it to you, but I'm married. Have been for a long time, and happily, too. You'll have to look elsewhere or just pine for me till you die of a broken heart, honey.

October 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • Frank Bund

If you're going to pretend to be educated whilst trolling, do not be surprised if you end up on the receiving end. I don't know about you, but I'm awfully tired of seeing people like "Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son" insulting people constantly. That is the true troll. Calling people names from the comfort of your water bed, sausage-fingering your keyboard with insults and jabs is not positive. It only proves that you are tragically crippled by your own insecurities and shortcomings. Act high and mighty as you will, but those of us with an inkling of intelligence can see right through your glass wall. No one who is as happily married as you claim to be would spend hours every night posting insults to anonymous people the way that you do. This is merely an observation. And it is regrettably the truth.

October 11, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  19. Enjay Sea

Saying that mormonism isn't chrisitanity is a generous compliment to mormonism.

October 11, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
    • khamphady01

How is it that people who claim themselves Christians could ridicule and put other faiths down. Especially based on an incomplete text transcribed by countless scholars to fit their initial political agenda. then to trust some pastor to interpret God's word as if he is speaking for God himself. if we are using the bible as grounds for true Christianity then these mainstream mega churches with paid clergy and pastors who have their claimed of divine authority by getting a school certificate, do not fit the bill. to even entertain some truth behind Robert Jeffress words, would be to entertain the idea that he was inspired by God. We all could clearly see that this man receives no divine inspiration, Christ who taught love would not inspire such a person who promotes hate.

October 11, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
    • hippypoet

@khamphady01, why is it that everyone referrs to there fake idol as him. Has noone a female false idol? I find this disturbing. further proof however that it was written by men.

October 11, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
    • Answer

The reason for the male god in all religions is because 'man' is about strength and pride. Anything we men find to give us access to power – we will have it at our service. That is why we men have created the gods in our image.

We gave our gods the power of might, of intellect, and of control because that is what being a man is about. Ask your father why he will not budge in his stupidity and he will go into full defense. To protect our pride. We men have all inherited this one single trait from our fathers because it is manly. To not show tears, to not show your fears and worst to not admit fault. That is why god is a man. Men want those instilled virtues to reclaim what men are lacking. We men do lack – but most of all understanding.

If you care at all about being a true man you will learn to be humble before your parents as you grow into your own manhood. The only one thing you must not do is to be critical of your parents and not touch/or destroy too deeply on your father's pride. Once you destroy your father's pride you destroy yourself. God is like that image of your father – but this figure is easily destroyable and not needed – unlike your father.

October 11, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
    • hippypoet

@Answer... i find your answer to be lacking of humility, as you place value on pride, thats a sin! lol, i guess i am no man by your definition.. i show feelings as they come, and i am true to them, but i still speak with logic... untill you get me really mad, then fuk it... i will just use my intell to show you for to be a fool. not saying you ANSWER, speaking in general.

October 11, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
    • Richard Kaiser

@ Enjay Sea et al,,,

GOD was 1st and only Holy Sea of Nothingess called by the ancient Grecians as being 'Chaos' who did yawn and made manifest the elemental gods. The very 1st elemental god did never ever sway from doing the will of Chaos his Father. Even when the time came for Chaos to give to us a sacrificial lamb of manhood who was GOD's (Chaos) first born elemental god, this god did not sway from his Father's wisdom. So the 'prophecy' was fulfilled and GOD's first elemental god became Christ Jesus, the redeemer of all souls/spirits past, present and future. All the elemental gods rejoice in their King's death as a man and in so taking the cross did redeem all things' souls/spirits toward the coming of a newer Heaven and upon a newer Earth to be built out of all the things of celestial matter. Thusly, do the elemental gods promote the welfares of all celestial Life no matter their shapes or forms. May the GOD who was once called Chaos ever be the unaltering oceanic sea of Nothingness for the sakes of All Celestial Life in whatever form they are given and to take safe harborage wherever permitted upon the Celestial Plains of Chaos's determinations.

October 11, 2011 at 9:58 pm |
    • Richard Kaiser

Damn! Found 2 typos! Sorry for this,,,,

GOD was the 1st and only Holy Sea of Nothingness called by the ancient Grecians as being 'Chaos' who did yawn and made manifest the elemental gods. The very 1st elemental god did never ever sway from doing the will of Chaos his Father. Even when the time came for Chaos to give to us a sacrificial lamb of manhood who was GOD's (Chaos) first born elemental god, this god did not sway from his Father's wisdom. So the 'prophecy' was fulfilled and GOD's first elemental god became Christ Jesus, the redeemer of all souls/spirits past, present and future. All the elemental gods rejoice in their King's death as a man and in so taking the cross did redeem all things' souls/spirits toward the coming of a newer Heaven and upon a newer Earth to be built out of all the things of celestial matter. Thusly, do the elemental gods promote the welfares of all celestial Life no matter their shapes or forms. May the GOD who was once called Chaos ever be the unaltering oceanic sea of Nothingness for the sakes of All Celestial Life in whatever form they are given and to take safe harborage wherever permitted upon the Celestial Plains of Chaos's determinations.

October 11, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • Answer

@hippypoet

There is no humility showing in my post because it is from pure logic and observable behavior. I was speaking in general terms as you might have seen and do not care if I have placed insult in where none was intented.

October 11, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Look! More Dickie Doo-doo!

October 11, 2011 at 10:09 pm |

AGAIN, NOT ME.

Whoever you are, STOP. I'm seriously getting tired of this little game.

October 11, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
    • Eyewatch

Wow. What a troll.

October 11, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I know. I seriously got under Dickie or herbie the burbler's little nerves.

October 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  20. hippypoet

MAY THE ALMIGHTY SUN SHINE LIGHT UPON YOU ALL

October 11, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

May the almighty ATF and DEA raid your mother's basement and remove you from the premises so you can no longer post this painfully redundant quote.

October 11, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
    • hippypoet

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA, did the family priest r@pe you again. maybe you need a new faith. come my brother, the ALMIGHTY SUN AWAITS! MAY THE LIGHT BE UPON YOU ALWAYS.

October 11, 2011 at 9:58 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Again, hippy, the previous post ain't mine. It belongs to my secret lover, who feels slighted, I guess. Poor little fella.

October 11, 2011 at 9:59 pm |
    • hippypoet

it is ok tom tom wanna be, the ALMIGHTY SUN DOES NOT JUDGE UNLIKE THE FALSE christian god WHO JUDGES ALL UNEQUALLY!

October 11, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Thanks, hippy. The fraud is pretty funny, actually. I love the "seriously irritated" act.

I'll chuckle off to beddy-bye now.

October 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm |