home
RSS
Your take: Is Mormonism a cult?
The Rev. Robert Jeffress, who supports Texas Gov. Rick Perry, stirred a hornet's nest by saying he believes Mormonism is a cult.
October 11th, 2011

Your take: Is Mormonism a cult?

(CNN) - We ran a column Monday from Richard Mouw, president of Fuller Theological Seminary, an evangelical school in Pasadena, California, called "My Take: This evangelical says Mormonism isn’t a cult."

Mouw followed up on comments that the Rev. Robert Jeffress made at the Values Voter Summit, where he introduced and endorsed Texas Gov. Rick Perry.  After Perry spoke, Jeffress told reporters in the hallway and in subsequent interviews that he thought Mormonism is a cult and that evangelicals should not vote for former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney because of his faith and a host of other reasons.

Mouw countered he did not think the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly known as Mormonism, was a cult. He also said he was not ready to say it fit in with orthodox Christianity but noted there was dialogue between evangelicals and Mormons on a broad range of issues.

The piece drew out the passions of readers on all sides of the issue and racked up 11,000 Facebook likes and 2,500 comments.

Here's a nonscientific collection of your thoughts on the matter:

There were a number of comments from Mormons who appreciated the article and shared their thanks.

Tanner

As a Mormon, I appreciate your fair synopsis in defense of my religion, Mr. Mouw.

Mynamesmiketoo

Being a Mormon myself, I can testify that our religion is not a cult and Joseph Smith is not our head. Jesus Christ is the leader and he is the cornerstone of His church "built on a foundation of prophets and apostles." I also know it is through the atonement of Christ all mankind may be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel. Romney is (definitely) a Christian. We are "the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"; we are just nicknamed "Mormon" because of another testament we hold sacred and true. I ask you visit mormon.org for more info.

There were also a number of comments from Christians who said the Church of Jesus Christ of  Latter-day Saints fell outside the bounds of historical Christianity.

Jeff

To a Christian who believes in the historical Jesus and His church, the Mormon church is by definition a cult. It is in no manner offensive to say that to a true believer of Mormonism, for he/she understands the essentials of their belief system and how they differ. Mainstream Christianity shares in the beliefs about the essentials of our faith - who God is, the three persons within the godhead and their roles, what we are called to, and how one must be saved and live their life. None of this takes away the earthly redeemable qualities of Mormonism such as their commitment to taking care of each other, purity in worship, the role of the church in all matters, etc. But it is not the historical Christianity we know. And btw, many large and small denominations that purport to be part of mainstream Christianity have also distorted the historical belief system of the church.

ThsIsNotReal22

Mormonism may not be a cult, but it is a major heresy.

And as always there was a hearty amount of feedback from atheists and nonbelievers about how all religions were cults by definition.

Nodack

All religions are cults. Sorry.

Because this issue was raised in a political spectrum, it got a lot of people thinking about the intersections between religion and politics.

TheTraveler

Don't even care. Every election year we get the same stupid side-tracking non-issues. ...

Don

It is really a non-issue. We can have a Mormon president as long as he puts the nation first and acts responsibly. We can have a Muslim president as long as he puts the nation first and acts responsibly. We can have a Jewish president as long as he puts the nation first and acts responsibly. Christians have no exclusive lock on love for country or responsible behavior. That should be obvious. I look forward (to) the day when our list of U.S. presidents is as diverse as our citizens. When we get to that point we will have been true to the promise of America that all men were created equal and endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights and among these are the right to run for political office and be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their religious beliefs.

David M.

Speaking as a Christian, I'm not concerned about Romney being a Mormon. Nor am I concerned that the next president has to be an evangelical Christian. Jimmy Carter is a devout Christian, but I disagreed with a lot of his politics. I don't vote for someone just because they are a Christian, or not vote for someone because they are not a Christian. I'm concerned about their political positions.

The evangelical church in America thinks if we just get the "right" people in office, then all will be well. Nothing could be further from the truth. God is very clear in Scripture, calling out His people to turn from their wicked ways, call on His name, humble themselves and pray, then He will hear from Heaven and heal their land. It's clearly in the lap of the church, not the lap of the president. Speaking again as a Christian, we in the church have failed miserably, and God will hold us to account.

You can read more from the CNN Belief Blog here and keep the conversation going.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Church • Church and state • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mitt Romney • Politics

« Previous entry
  1. THE Central Scrutinzer

The Central Scrutinizer’s Manifesto

1. I enjoy blogging on the CNN Belief blog.

2. However the last two evenings have been most unfortunate.

3. For whatever reason and I have no idea why, someone or some people seem to think it is funny to imitate the frequent bloggers, i.e. steal their names and post as if they were them.

4. Sadly, this defeats the whole point of an internet community.

5. Additionally, those who are doing it are simply either unable to think for themselves, or are malicious. Perhaps young and stupid. None of these are healthy traits.

6. My message to them. Maybe you are teenagers, I don’t know, but if you are not actually interested in politics or religion, why hang around with us? There are many forums for you. And I promise I won’t go to YOUR forums and fuk them up. Is that too much to ask? Seems fair.

7. Finally, if we can agree to get along and not take the fun and pleasure away from those who benefit by it. Can we also agree to the following:

a. When you come in, have a take, not just an insult. Don’t suck (borrowed from Jim Rome)
    b. Let’s talk. Let’s disagree. Let’s agree. Let’s be Americans. That is how we do.
    c. Don’t be a baby. Fight back! That is part of the fun and in the end, we learn something (if we want to).
    Sparring is a gas and you should not consider it an insult. Just fight back and prove your worth! (or get lost!)

8. Finally, these blogs don’t have to be a fist fight, they can and should be fun and educational. If you are ignorant, I am going to tell you so (and so are others). If you are funny, great, if you are a genius, thank you Sensei.
    That is how I feel about it for what it is worth. I enjoy the blogs but the last two evenings have been silly and irritating so if that can change cool, otherwise I am out. That is my take for the evening.

October 13, 2011 at 1:13 am |
    • THE Central SCROTUMizer

"I enjoy the blogs but the last two evenings have been silly and irritating so if that can change cool, otherwise I am out."

Go away!!! Go with Tom Tom and his Sr. back to Korea and play your favourite Hello Kitty with them. You wouldn't be missed.

October 13, 2011 at 11:02 am |
  2. Reality

From p. 4:

NEWS ALERT !!!

Putting an end to religions and therefore this blog. The moderators will now have to find new jobs as will clerics, nuns, monks, imams, evangelicals, ayatollahs, rabbis, professors of religion and priests .

• There was probably no Abraham i.e. the foundations of Judaism, Christianity and Islam are non-existent.

• There was probably no Moses i.e the pillars of Judaism, Christianity and Islam have no strength of purpose.

• There was no Easter i.e. Christianity completely fails as a religion.

• There was no Moroni i.e. Mormonism is nothing more than a business cult.

• Fat Buddhas here, skinny Buddhas there, reincarnated Buddhas everywhere makes for a no on Buddhism.

A quick Google, Bing or Yahoo search will put the kibosh on any other groups calling themselves a religion.

e.g. Taoism

October 12, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
    • fred

Such a sad reality without God. What do you do for hope if there is not a brighter tomorrow. What happens when you find that you never were in control. If there is not a creator then there is not purpose. I sense emptyness in your post. This is why I know there is a God. Jesus came so that we may have life eternal. Why would you intentionally choose death? It only take a few words with Jesus and you will see. Reality is asking Jesus for help and experiencing that help over and over again. Everything else is a temporary illusion at best.

October 13, 2011 at 1:36 am |
    • tallulah13

Fred: How sad that your life is so empty that you need a myth to fill it. How depressing that reality isn't enough, that you need fairy tales to give your life meaning. How sad that you are so afraid of death that you follow whoever promises you an afterlife, despite the fact that there is no evidence of this afterlife or the god that promises it.

Life is finite. Don't be afraid. When you die, you won't care, because you will no longer exist.

October 13, 2011 at 1:44 am |
    • fred

tallulah13
      You are so right I really cannot exist without that hope. I was pulled out of a void that was frightening for what seemed an eternity. Psalm 23 that says; "wo tho I walk through the sadow of death I fear no evil for thou art by my side." hits me everytime. I fear for anyone that would ever encounter the cold grasp of evil, never ending fear and terror. Yes, I am very thankful for Jesus.
      You know I may have just had some sort of extended living nightmare caused by a biological reaction as another atheist told me. Problem is I never want to go back to that place, and it was Jesus that pulled me out. I have no reason to believe He is not capable of doing it again. Even if it turns out that death is a quiet poof and the soul I feel all around me just vanishes I will still be thankful for what Jesus did.
      I am glad you never experienced hopelessness and pray you never do. May your life be filled with goodness everyday.

October 13, 2011 at 1:59 am |
    • tallulah13

Whatever helps you, Fred. But when you use your crutch to hit others, don't be surprised when people call you on it.

By the way, I have been in situations where it would have been very easy to feel hopeless. Not a lot has come easily for me, but I've never given up. I am responsible for my life and I will keep on fighting for it, because it's the only one I'm going to get.

October 13, 2011 at 2:15 am |
    • Reality

A prayer for fred and those who think like him:

The Apostles' Creed 2011: (updated by yours truly based on the studies of NT historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
      and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
      human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven?????

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
      preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
      named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
      girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
      the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
      a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
      Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
      many semi-fiction writers. A bodily resurrection and
      ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
      Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
      grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
      and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
      called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen

October 13, 2011 at 7:20 am |
    • .........

All reality posts are repeat garbage hit report abuse

October 13, 2011 at 8:57 am |
    • fred

tallulah13
      Good point, no matter what you believe as to what happens after death, you still need to fight the fight and get up if your knocked down. One thing is guaranteed, we only have this physical life as we know it. What comes before or after this physical body of ours is a matter of faith. I don't hit you with my crutch to be mean, just trying to pass along a gift that was given to me.

October 13, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • fred

Reality
      Thanks for your prayer! Hope you don't mind if I cut and paste it. Some people like David Johnson for example think Jesus never existed. Perhaps your post will enlighten him a bit and pull him in from the fringe. There are others out there that also think that way, so thanks for being a blessing today !

October 13, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
  3. Non-Denominational Christian

If Mormonism is a cult, what does that make Catholicism? Last time I checked Mormon prayed to God...Catholics pray to saints. Really people, get a grip...think about what these kind of "Christians" (Jeffress) are teaching our children.

October 12, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

This thread is being manipulated by CNN .. they are omitting whatever they do not want to hear.

October 12, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
  4. John Chachas

The principals this country was founded upon - the very reason for the nation's formation - was for religious tolerance and a respect for individual liberty and the choice to worship and believe whatever one wants without fear of persecution. The irony of this is deep "christian fundamentalists" have so lost their balance that they would sooner displace this fundamental underpinning of our constiution rather than exhibit tolerance and an ability to respect the views of others who they deem "non-Christian." What that really means is "not like us." It's a truly putrid form of self-importance wrapped in some grande mystique of patriotism - and it is quite the opposite. I am Greek Orthodox. Catholic leaders in the 15th century disagreed so violently with the orthodox end of Christianity that the church split with our leader heading off to Constantinople. Today, we believe what we want, and the Pope does the same. Who the hell cares? In the end, the essence of being American is to allow people to pursue their unique brand of religion in whatever package they find it.

All this talk of Mormons being "non-Christian" is the worst kind of bigotry. These are people who pay taxes, raise their families with good values, are remarkably self-supporting in a state with low unemployment, operate a welfare operation through their church that is second to none anywhere in the world, drive old people to and from church and the grocery store as a neigborly thing to do, and in so many ways embody the best of American life. I'm not a Mormon but I'm proud to say some of them are my very best friends. And I could give a damn what they worship on Sunday, that they don't drink alcohol and believe in baptising the dead. Why is that any more difficult to comprehend than the concept in my church of putting olive oil on the head of a young child and dunking him in water to make sure he's going to receive Christ's salvation as a Christian.

To all you idiots who keep spewing this stuff about Mormons, maybe you should move somewhere else where everyone is like you. We don't need your kind of intolerance in our country. We have enough problems without your imaginary ones.

October 12, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  5. knobe

Theologically , the Mormon god is totally different than the Jewish / Christian / Muslim god .
    The Mormon belief is that " as man is , god once was And as god is , man may become " hence a universe full of gods , some Mormons who towed the line .
    The god of Abraham however , is the Only god in all of time and space and was Never a man .

Mormons may believe in Jesus but so do Hindus , hence belief in Jesus is Not the determinate factor for being Christian .
    Modern Christianity believes in one god eternal and omnipotent , who was Never a man . less

October 12, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
    • Benjamin

Actually, my beliefs align with the early Christian Church quite well. Here's some quotes that illustrate that my religious views are not new.. from individuals who are often referred to as the Fathers of Christianity.

Thomas Aquinas: "The Only-begotten Son of God, wanting us to be partakers of his divinity, assumed our human nature so that, having become man, he might make men gods.”

Origen: stated that not all "equally faithful to God... Some became...human souls, and others evil spirits.” “From Him [Jesus] there began the union of the divine with the human nature, in order that the human, by communion with the divine, might rise to be divine...”

Clement of Alexandria: “The Word of God became man, that thou mayest learn from man how man may become God.” “That man with whom the Word dwells...becomes God, since God so wills... ‘Men are gods, and gods are men.’” “By...receiving the Lord’s power, the soul studies to be God...” “After we are freed from all punishment and penalty which we undergo, in consequence of our sins,...those who have become perfect...are called by the appellation of gods, being destined to sit on thrones with the other gods that have been first put in their places by the Savior.”

Irenaeus: “The Word of God, our Lord Jesus Christ,...did...become what we are, that He might bring us to be even what He is Himself.”

Theophilus of Antioch: “If [man] should incline to the things of immortality, keeping the commandments of God, he should...become God.”

Tertullian wrote: “Christ descended into hell in order to acquaint [its residents] with his redeeming mission.”

Athanasius: “The Word...was made man that we might be made God.”

Gregory Nazianzen: “Our salvation comes...both from ourselves and from God. If God’s help is necessary for doing good and if the good will itself come from Him, it is equally true that the initiative rests with man’s free will.” “Christ Jesus...makes me God by the power of His Incarnation.” “When we have thus become like Himself, God may...hold converse with us as Gods, being united to us...”

Gregory of Nyssa: “Those who approach God should themselves become gods.”

Basil the Great:"The highest of all things desired (is) to become God”

Maximus the Confessor: “Let us become the image of the one whole God...so that we may consort with God and become gods, receiving from God our existence as gods.”

Symeon: God the Father says to us “And behold, I...shall make you God.”

Bernard of Clairvaux: “Why should we not become ‘gods’ for Him who for love of us became man?”

John Chrysostom: “Without God’s aid we should be unable to accomplish good works; nevertheless, even if grace takes the lead, it cooperates with free will. We first of all begin to desire the good and to incline ourselves towards it, and then God steps in to strengthen that desire and render it effective.”

October 13, 2011 at 12:29 am |
    • Fors Miner

"God was never a man." And yet the Bible says that man is created in God's image. So how is it that you know what God was doing before? Don't you, as a Christian, believe Jesus is God? And don't you believe Jesus was a man? Therefore....by that definition, God was, indeed, a man (for a time). What so many people forget, in these debates, is that each system of theology has its own ways of conceptualizing various theological concepts. Thus when one person says "God" s/he may be thinking of an old grandfatherly figure with a white beard sitting on a throne, while the other person may be imagining a blue guy with a flute, while still another may envision a beautiful, stately woman with a star on her brow, while another may envision the entire Universe of galaxies and everything in it as One, while another may accept all these pictures as valid, recognizing that they are only pictures, merely simple ways for a human to imagine the beyond-our-comprehension reality of G-d. Why does it seem that Christians' favorite pasttime is pointing out how unChristian all the other Christians are. It's really ridiculous. Pagans realize that, while there undoubtedly is an Ultimate Truth, no human is able to define it, and so any picture of it may be valid.

October 13, 2011 at 11:03 am |
  6. rob

The Mormon cult is a repulsive, immoral, disgusting, bigoted organization that spreads hate against others. And Mormon beliefs are laughable. And if they can spend tens of millions of dollars on hate campaigns, why can't they pay taxes? Why are taxpayers subsidizing governments services to this pathetic, faux "religion?" The sooner this cult is brought down, the better off the country will be.

October 12, 2011 at 9:44 pm |
    • Benjamin

Actually the Church didn't pay a cent for the campaigns and we do not hate gays. People were asked to donate money/give support to the campaign. To understand why we supported, one must know that one of the core doctrines of the Church is marriage between a man and a woman for eternity. Hence our support for the campaign. Part of the issue is 'what' will occur to Churches who do not perform gay marriages on a national level, if marriage is redefined on that level. With California being a gateway state, it was not a 'normal' campaign but rather one on a global scale. We're far from the majority of the populace of California and our support would not have tilted the results much. Few know that recently Thomas Monson supported a Bill in Utah that would not permit discrimination against gays in the workforce. We're not anti-gay, rather we're pro-marriage.

October 13, 2011 at 12:50 am |
    • HellBent

"Part of the issue is 'what' will occur to Churches who do not perform gay marriages on a national level, if marriage is redefined on that level"

So it was a campaigned based upon irrational, baseless fear that, while not directly funded from church coffers, was driven by the pulpit. got it.

Here's a hint, you cannot claim to not be "anti" someone while also actively campaigning to deny that someone's civil rights.

October 13, 2011 at 1:02 am |
  7. Matt Rodman

We as individuals have to decide if we can vote for someone who holds religious views not compatible with ours.
    Mormons are not Christians since they have additional Prophets and the book of Mormon and define God differently from Christians. I don't know what a cult really is. Followers of Islam are also different as are Jews. We worship different gods and shouldn't pretend otherwise. I don't believe that this makes them unacceptable any more than the Dali Lama is unacceptable.
    If I choose to vote only for a fellow Christian that is my choice – if I were a Christian in a predominately Muslim country I wouldn't expect to be elected to office. We are not in the same religious pot – does that make a difference to you? If it does then vote with your beliefs. What we don't want to do is hate, or discriminate based upon religion but not apologize for what we believe in.

October 12, 2011 at 9:22 pm |
  8. kate

religious are just cults with more members. AS far as I'm concerned...any individual or group of individuals who act out of hate and not love are acting in direct contradiction to the teachings of every major relegion...love. I am sick to death of us focusing on our differences...maybe it's time to look at how we are all the same. Same needs, same fears, same hearts.

October 12, 2011 at 9:14 pm |
  9. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The fraud is back. Ignore his posts please. Dearest herbie, I know you are in love with me. As I told you before, I'm married. Please, just give it up.

October 12, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yeah, you're back all right. You're so cute.

October 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Once again, not the real Tom.

October 12, 2011 at 9:52 pm |
  10. Zowie

When a well-documented con artist using garden-variety conjuror props claims a divine revelation involving Israelites in Maori outrigger canoes, Jesus preaching to the Apaches, and wooly mammoth chariot battles in Alabama, you just know everything's on the up-and-up.
    Wait–what???

October 12, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  11. mike

whatever the specific definition of a cult is, the understood definition is a group with sinister intentions. I do not consider mormonism a cult. while the pastor tries to differentiate between a "theological" and "social" cult, his intentions were clearly to slander the mormon religion and scare listeners to influence the election. Mormonism is a religion, nothing more and nothing less. They should be grouped in the same boat as any mainstream religion. As far as being Christian, I wouldn't consider them evangelical or born again Christian's (since that implies to me a specific protestant group), but if they say they believe they can only be saved through Jesus Christ, I would say that is Christian. Of course someone like this pastor would want to claim a monopoly on Christianity, since that is good for his coffers. The problem is the media giving him any platform to promote his congregation. Does the media expect the pastor of a religion to promote another religion? Another example of creating controversy to generate interest

October 12, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  12. LDSRevelations

This whole dust up over whether Mormons and specifically LDS are Christians is odd and amusing to me. Sure everyone now is all up in arms over this but this argument is not new. Religions spend a fair amount of time defining who belongs in the tent and who is not allowed mostly based on beliefs and practice and the discussion over whether Mitt Romney and his Mormonism are Christian is just a continuation of that battle.

I find it funny though for a few reasons though.

For the first 100+ years of it's existence Mormonism was content to separate itself from mainstream Christianity because of the foundational LDS doctrine that many of the key creeds and doctrines of the mainstream are apostate. Mormonism sees itself as the restoration of true primitive Christianity. For some reason in the past 20 years it has become important for LDS to be included in under the Christian label.

At the same time LDS and their defenders are claiming bigotry for having their faith questioned the Mormon faith still believes that God sees the creeds of the mainstream Christians as abomination. How then is this position not bigotry as well?

LDS maintain that no other Mormon splinter group such as the FLDS can legitimately use the term 'Mormon.' Funny but isn't that exactly what they say the creedal Christians are doing to LDS?

Oh the funny games religious people play.

October 12, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
  13. Expat

All these so called Christians dissing Mormons who believe in Christ. Seriously...all this negative comments and trying to be right and prove people wrong. From the comments, it seems clear that most do not know anything about the religion yet make harsh and judgmental comments. You call yourselves Christians??? Really??? This is why people run from religions and especially Christianity because of this type of stuff. Such a waste when there are far better things to worry about than if they are Christian or not! WHO CARES if they are Christian or not and who would vote for somebody based on religion!!! Just because somebody is Christian doesn't mean they are a good President, how many Christian presidents to we have or have had that are total war monging killers..seriously..wake up

October 12, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
  14. Chris

Mormons are not true Christians, yes they believe in Christ , but there are several key differences that make them separate from Christianity. The first being the following of Joseph Smith, to Mormons he is a prohet much like a modern Jesus Christ that walked the Earth and converted followers. Mormons believe that Jesus came to America and preached the Gospel as well, clearly not in line with what the Holy Bible says.

October 12, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
    • Kris

please keep posting your truth about Mormons. they are not Christians. the public is confused about people who act like Christians, and what Christianity is.

October 12, 2011 at 7:41 pm |

October 12, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
    • Kris

TomTom
      people call themselves anything to promote thier own agenda. True Christians do not have their own agenda. I expect you have not met one

October 12, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You lose. I have indeed known people who are Christ's real representatives on earth. They're few and far between, but I have known some. And they are NOTHING like the blabbermouths who spend their time on this forum breaking their arms patting themselves on the back and polishing their own halos. Most of them are hateful, spiteful, nasty people that Jesus wouldn't have allowed to wash his feet.

The real Christians aren't here. They're too busy doing what Christ commanded to be bothered with judging and condemning all and sundry.

I know real Christians. They aren't here.

October 12, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Just to caveat, I'd like to add that I'm an avid advocate of patting myself on the back. Just look at all of my awesome posts! I AM better than everyone here. ESPECIALLY herbie the burbler and Dickie.

October 12, 2011 at 9:01 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Aww, aren't you a sweetie? Really, darling, you give me too much credit. I don't claim to be a real disciple. I just know a few people who are.

Are you one of 'em? Prolly not.

October 12, 2011 at 9:22 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

By the way, Tom the Fake, you're using "caveat" incorrectly, dude.

And I'm not a "him" either.

You're doing really well, aren't ya?

October 12, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Here's a little hint, honey: It's not "to caveat", ya moron. Your Latin teacher would be mortified.

October 12, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

By the way, I'd like to quote myself and apologize. Since I'm into nitpicking everyone's grammar.... : )

"Gee, I wonder why anyone would be confused when self-proclaimed "Christians" like herbert juarez express disgust an hatred for people who aren't just exactly like him. How could anyone be confused about who are the real Christians?"

I've made a terrible mistake. The word "an" should be "and." I will make it a point to continue pointing out all of your grammatical errors as I am in fact, perfect. And by the way, to caveat is to warn. Which in context was used correctly. So please, accept my sincerest regrets for pointing out a mistake that, well, wasn't really a mistake! I just think I'm better than everyone is all!

October 12, 2011 at 9:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Tom, Tom, the Tom that isn't the real Tom, the real Tom is VERY concerned with grammar and making others look as terrible as possible. The rest of us are not : D But it sure is fun pointing out when the real Tom makes stupid errors right around the same time it tries to call someone else out. Hypocritical don't you think? lol Must be a Xtian.

October 12, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
    • Mr Chihuahua

trollis emptor lol!

October 12, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"To caveat" is incorrect, honey. You need to learn to use a dictionary. No one is going to be fooled such lousy attempts as this.

October 12, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Nope, you're wrong. "To caveat" is perfectly correct. Thus, you are proven a phony. Now go and sin no more, dufus.

October 12, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Either way, I'm going to bed. I am in no position to correct anyone at this point. I made two grammatical errors this evening, while attempting to point out someone else's even though it wasn't even an error. I really look like a moron. Maybe it's because I am. Just kidding. I am highly educated. I am a grammar queen. So ruthless that I'd be hunted as a war criminal by those who wrote the dictionary for being more intelligent and superior than them.

October 12, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
    • Tom Piper'Sr

Calm down Son, your schizophrenia agai! You're talking to yourself and thinking that you're a "queen" while in reality you're a JACK (with) ASS.

Come with with me my son. Let's leave them all here. They deserve peace. Let's go back to Korea. Otherwise I'll send you back in the assylum where you belong!

October 13, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"To caveat" is incorrect. If you don't know why, that's your problem. Figure it out.

October 13, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

Oh dear, it just kills you to be wrong! : D

If it did not, then you never would have come back to whine : D

October 13, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Truth Tellerz

The book of Mormon, condems itself.
    It teaches that Jesus and Lucifer were brothers and Lucifer is the light illuminary. They believe that Lucifer is the brother that won. I Know from 1st hand expierence that some Mormons are into Satanism , witchcraft and sorcery. They communicate or channel with demonic agencies. I know 1st hand because I'm a witness to it.
    For more info go to UTUBE and watch Walter Veith, " New Age Agenda" He does a 35 minute expo that is as honest as it gets.

October 12, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • Expat

To this comment above about the Mormons into Satanism, witchcraft and sorcery..I am sorry but that has to be a joke or biggest line of garbage I have ever heard..I guess people who don't drink alcohol, coffee or smoke are witches..really..that is just hilarious..have you ever met and interacted with a Mormon..clearly not..I have traveled the world and met people from all religions and have found Mormons to be some of the most kind and loving people ever...
      If any person or Christian votes for a person based upon their religion or doesn't vote for somebody because of their religion, I would question if they are even a real Christian themselves.

October 12, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
  16. Francisco Perez

Of course is a cult, I'm still waiting for the Mormon church to announce that an angel came down from heaven and said that gays are OK now, the same way they did with blacks.

October 12, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • Kris

a very good point. It is impossible for a Mormon to follow Joseph Smith and be able to love anything but a white male/female union for the purpose is to produce children. if done correctly, they will one day become spirit people who will populate other planets and produce more children. In time, if they live right, they will all become gods of other planets. they believe they will become sons of God. there is no way these people are Christians.

October 12, 2011 at 7:50 pm |
  17. Terry

The Oxford World Christian Encyclopedia 1982 lists 20,800 separate Christian denominations worldwide. Each have their own brand of who Jesus was. Isn't that amazing? Even Jesus prophesied that many would come claiming that he, Jesus is the Christ but to not follow them Matt 24:3-5. He said they would deceive "many". But Paul said there is "one faith, one lord, one baptism". That means in the midst of all the confusing denominations there should be one church that bares His stamp of approval. If you search diligently, prayerfully, patiently and sincerely, you'll discover like 14 million and myself have that that Church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We believe that Jesus restored his church in 1830. You will also discover that the Book of Mormon is the "stick" (book )of the tribe of Joseph just as the Bible is the "stick" (book) of Judah prophesied of by Ezekial chapter 37. And that the Book of Mormon is in fact the "sealed book" referred to by Isaiah in chapter 29 which also came "out of the ground" just as Isaiah said. Yes the Bible testifies of the Book of Mormon and the Book of Mormon testifies of the Bible. They both bear witness of Jesus as the Messiah slain for the sins of the world. I know these things to be true.

October 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • News Flash

"If you search diligently, prayerfully, patiently and sincerely, you'll discover like 14 million and myself have that that Church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." What an arrogant bunch of BS ! It implies that if anyone comes to another conclusion, that the search has NOT been done "diligently, prayerfully, patiently and sincerely". It IS a cult, completely outside the norms of Christianity, as others have pointed out, and any honest look at the founder of this cult, comes away with him looking VERY bad indeed.

October 12, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
    • Kris

Please produce the golden tablets. And please find some evidence of the Garden of Eden in Missouri. Or maybe some evidenc of the lost tribes of Israel in Missouri. Can you even approach the physical, written history of the Middle East? MIssouri?? give me a break.

October 12, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  18. Epicurian

All religions are cults. Some have more members...................

October 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  19. Renee Marie Jones

I think that when the Mormon's first followed Joseph Smith out of New England, it was a cult. It is not a cult now.

October 12, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  20. Absolutionis

Judiasm is considered a religion and there are approximately 13million in the world. Mormonism is arguably considered a cult and there are approximately 12million in the world.

All Mormons have to do is convert about 1million more and they're all good!

October 12, 2011 at 4:30 pm |