home
RSS
Your take: Is Mormonism a cult?
The Rev. Robert Jeffress, who supports Texas Gov. Rick Perry, stirred a hornet's nest by saying he believes Mormonism is a cult.
October 11th, 2011

Your take: Is Mormonism a cult?

(CNN) - We ran a column Monday from Richard Mouw, president of Fuller Theological Seminary, an evangelical school in Pasadena, California, called "My Take: This evangelical says Mormonism isn’t a cult."

Mouw followed up on comments that the Rev. Robert Jeffress made at the Values Voter Summit, where he introduced and endorsed Texas Gov. Rick Perry.  After Perry spoke, Jeffress told reporters in the hallway and in subsequent interviews that he thought Mormonism is a cult and that evangelicals should not vote for former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney because of his faith and a host of other reasons.

Mouw countered he did not think the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly known as Mormonism, was a cult. He also said he was not ready to say it fit in with orthodox Christianity but noted there was dialogue between evangelicals and Mormons on a broad range of issues.

The piece drew out the passions of readers on all sides of the issue and racked up 11,000 Facebook likes and 2,500 comments.

Here's a nonscientific collection of your thoughts on the matter:

There were a number of comments from Mormons who appreciated the article and shared their thanks.

Tanner

As a Mormon, I appreciate your fair synopsis in defense of my religion, Mr. Mouw.

Mynamesmiketoo

Being a Mormon myself, I can testify that our religion is not a cult and Joseph Smith is not our head. Jesus Christ is the leader and he is the cornerstone of His church "built on a foundation of prophets and apostles." I also know it is through the atonement of Christ all mankind may be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel. Romney is (definitely) a Christian. We are "the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"; we are just nicknamed "Mormon" because of another testament we hold sacred and true. I ask you visit mormon.org for more info.

There were also a number of comments from Christians who said the Church of Jesus Christ of  Latter-day Saints fell outside the bounds of historical Christianity.

Jeff

To a Christian who believes in the historical Jesus and His church, the Mormon church is by definition a cult. It is in no manner offensive to say that to a true believer of Mormonism, for he/she understands the essentials of their belief system and how they differ. Mainstream Christianity shares in the beliefs about the essentials of our faith - who God is, the three persons within the godhead and their roles, what we are called to, and how one must be saved and live their life. None of this takes away the earthly redeemable qualities of Mormonism such as their commitment to taking care of each other, purity in worship, the role of the church in all matters, etc. But it is not the historical Christianity we know. And btw, many large and small denominations that purport to be part of mainstream Christianity have also distorted the historical belief system of the church.

ThsIsNotReal22

Mormonism may not be a cult, but it is a major heresy.

And as always there was a hearty amount of feedback from atheists and nonbelievers about how all religions were cults by definition.

Nodack

All religions are cults. Sorry.

Because this issue was raised in a political spectrum, it got a lot of people thinking about the intersections between religion and politics.

TheTraveler

Don't even care. Every election year we get the same stupid side-tracking non-issues. ...

Don

It is really a non-issue. We can have a Mormon president as long as he puts the nation first and acts responsibly. We can have a Muslim president as long as he puts the nation first and acts responsibly. We can have a Jewish president as long as he puts the nation first and acts responsibly. Christians have no exclusive lock on love for country or responsible behavior. That should be obvious. I look forward (to) the day when our list of U.S. presidents is as diverse as our citizens. When we get to that point we will have been true to the promise of America that all men were created equal and endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights and among these are the right to run for political office and be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their religious beliefs.

David M.

Speaking as a Christian, I'm not concerned about Romney being a Mormon. Nor am I concerned that the next president has to be an evangelical Christian. Jimmy Carter is a devout Christian, but I disagreed with a lot of his politics. I don't vote for someone just because they are a Christian, or not vote for someone because they are not a Christian. I'm concerned about their political positions.

The evangelical church in America thinks if we just get the "right" people in office, then all will be well. Nothing could be further from the truth. God is very clear in Scripture, calling out His people to turn from their wicked ways, call on His name, humble themselves and pray, then He will hear from Heaven and heal their land. It's clearly in the lap of the church, not the lap of the president. Speaking again as a Christian, we in the church have failed miserably, and God will hold us to account.

You can read more from the CNN Belief Blog here and keep the conversation going.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Church • Church and state • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mitt Romney • Politics

« Previous entry
  1. alex

duh this is a cult. and so is sciencetology and christianity.

October 13, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  2. Reality

Number of atheists/agnostics by country (top nine)

Sweden......8,986,000 ......46 – 85%...... 4,133,560 – 7,638,100
    Vietnam.... 82,690,000...... 81%............... 66,978,900
    Denmark 5,413,000....... 43 – 80%......... 2,327,590 – 4,330,400
    Norway 4,575,000 31 – 72% 1,418,250 – 3,294,000
    Ja-pan 127,333,000 64 – 65% 81,493,120 – 82,766,450
    Czech Republic 10,246,100 54 – 61% 5,328,940 – 6,250,121
    Finland 5,215,000 28 – 60% 1,460,200 – 3,129,000
    France 60,424,000 43 – 54% 25,982,320 – 32,628,960

October 13, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  3. Maximus

Mormonism is not a cult, it is a religion like, any other religion, and the vast, vast majority of Mormons I've met in life were hardworking, family and community oriented people, just like the vast, vast majority of Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Atheists, and Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster...ists...so please folks, don't let the lame 3% that are present in all groups out-shadow all the shining the other 97% of the normal good people do

October 13, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  4. Jim Andrews

Matthew 7:21-23: "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

October 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • Lucky Day

JIm, are you talking about Jeffress?

October 13, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  5. Ken Harmon

Listen to what Pastor Jeffers has to say and take note of the spiritual impressions you feel in your heart. Then head over to http://www.mormon.org and look around for a little while. Ask yourself if what you feel is different than what you felt when you listened to Pastor Jeffers. That feeling in your heart is one we hope you will trust. Here are two clips:

Elder Holland, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, 2007
    [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZaJEshOAQY&w=640&h=360]

Original 13 minutes

October 13, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • Nonimus

Sorry, feelings?
      Is this before or after I eat my two burritos with saurkraut and kim chi on the side followed by an nice glass of habinaro juice?

October 13, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  6. Better off without Athiests

Athiests- what are they good for? Absolutely nothing.
    Athiests want you everyone to believe is all religions are cults. Athiest religion is their government. That's why they are all speaking out so much against a religious person leading the government. This conversation has nothing to do with them. It's weird how the conversation should be between Evangelicals and Mormon and it really is between Athiests and Mormons.

October 13, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • MarkinFL

It may just be a language barrier thing. What is your native language?

October 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • Ok'yDoky

"Athiests- what are they good for? Absolutely nothing."

LMAO! What are christians good for? Spreading bigotry and hate in our society.

October 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • MarkinFL

And, if I've properly pa.rsed your post, I would answer that my "religion" is the U.S. Consti.tution. So you are close but not quite on target. Any given administration may or may not fulfill the requirements of the Const.itution, so I believe in our government to the extent it fulfills its mission within the parameters of the Consti.tution.
      I believe in certain ideals, and the U.S. Consti.tution most closely aligns with what I believe in.

October 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • nown

"Athiests- what are they good for? Absolutely nothing."
      ...Huh, Good God Y'all... What is it good for...

October 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • Better off without Athiests

@Ok'yDorky
      You think Athiest are innocent of spreading bigotry and hate. These blogs are filled with bigotry and hate from Athiests. There are plenty of well intentions LDS people speaking from the heart and they have been slammed by Athiest making fun of their beliefs. Please spare me that Christians are hate filled. Athiest are the guilty party. We are not going to continue at just take your hate. Personally I'm sick of it and I won't stand by.

October 13, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Eric

He's a Mormon saying, go after those darn Atheists, as they are the root of societies many problems. Conservative strategy seems riddled with the 'let's gang up on' as a common cause.

October 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • MarkinFL

Do I hold in disdain those that would control other people's lives based on their supersti.tious beliefs? Yes. Do not try to force your beliefs on everyone else and I will happily leave you to them. I have very good friends, that I respect, that are quite religious. They on the other hand do not try to make others live the way they do.
      Being prejudiced against bigots is quite acceptable and not the equivalent of most other bigotries. I'm also bigoted against child molesters and Nazis.

October 13, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • Anglican

A good many atheist on this blog are militant. No respect of others beliefs or the lack there of. So much for humanist.

October 13, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • Reality

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are atheists.

October 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@Anglican
      A good many believer on this blog are militant. No respect of others beliefs or the lack there of. So much for humanist.

Are you a hypocrite, the pot, the kettle or just stupid?

October 13, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • tallulah13

I think Better Off is a relative of Adelina.

October 14, 2011 at 1:42 am |
    • Realty

Warren and Bill are so far Agnostics.

October 14, 2011 at 4:09 am |
  7. A Good Thought

Cult Definition –
    1. a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
    2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
    3. the object of such devotion.
    4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
    5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

By definition number 1, Mormonism is a cult due to its temple ceremony. By definition number 4, all religions are cults so an Evangelicals are just as cultish.

October 13, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
  8. ldean50

Rent the movie, "September Dawn" with Jon Voight starring as Brigham Young (historically accurate-romance fictional) if you want to understand what the Mormon Church is built on. The Temple in Salt Lake City was built on the slaughter and robbery of immigrants wagon trains traveling west. The Mormons disguised themselves as Indians (ask the Paiute), attacked wagon trains and murdered men, women, and children. See Mountain Meadow Massacre (but, check the author – make sure it isn't Mormon, because they are re-writing the history of Mountain Meadow in Wikipedia) Go to the university of Nebraska or Missouri etc.

October 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
    • Diane

That movie is not historically accurate. Those were just men acting on their own, they were hundreds of miles away from Brigham Young and Salt Lake City. Besides what does that have to do with Mormons today? Do you condemn every religion from abuses of the past or try to find out the religion of everyone that committed a crime? What about the Mormons that were slaughtered in Missouri? The leader of the group at Mountain Meadows was hung for his involvement. The mobs that killed Mormons and Joseph Smith and his brother never paid for those crimes.

October 13, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • Jimbo

With a comment like this you probably believe that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is a Disney commentary about racism on the seven continents of the world. Each continent represented by a dwarf! And if your great grandpappy was a slave owner then you should turn over all of your earnings to charity to appease for your sins.

October 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Nonimus

Ah, since mobs(?) attacked and killed Joseph Smith, the Mountain Meadows Massacre is justified, right?

October 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • Lucky Day

"Historical Accurate/Romance Fiction" Boy that says it all. I can tell that you have researched this one really well.

October 13, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • Brother Johnny

@ Diane, the spoils from the Mountain Meadow facilities were stored in local LDS facilities, and the children not murdered raised by LDS families. Acting on their own? Un huh...

October 13, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
  9. Lucky Day

Faith is an interesting thing. There are those who have faith in God, those who have faith in their own wisdom, and those who have faith in nothing. I have faith in Jesus Christ. I want to follow his example. He taught tolerance and love while denouncing hypocrisy. He prayed to his Father in Heaven, not himself. He was baptized in water by John the Baptist and his Father's voice was heard from heaven. (Matt. 3). Stephen saw him standing on the right hand of God, (Act 7). He prayed that his disciples would be one has he and his father are one. (John 17). (By the way I do not think he meant that they become one person, but rather that they be united as he and the Father were united in purpose.) Those who are true scholars of the Bible recognize the separate nature of the Father and the Son in early Christianity. The term Christian was first used at Antioch in Syria. (Acts 11) They were people who believed in Baptism, Repentance, and the Gift of the Holy Ghost by laying on of hands. (Acts 8:17) They cared for their own and dedicated what they had to their faith (Acts 4:37). They believed in prophets. They believed in Apostles, they even replaced Judas so that there would be a quorum of 12 of them (Acts 1:25-26). And I could go on. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I recognize and worship Jesus Christ the son of Mary as the Son of God and my Savior and Redeemer. I love the Bible because I believe that it teaches me of Him. I love the LDS Church because I believe that it teaches me of Eternal Life. Jesus said while praying to his Father, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3).

What exactly is it about me that makes me a non-Christian? I confess that I do not believe in the creeds. But neither did those at Antioch in Syria. The creeds had yet to be written. Who are those who profess Christianity who have the authority to declare that I am not qualified to be saved by His grace? We may disagree in our interpretation of Christ's words, but in that disagreement authority has not been given to condemn me or my beliefs. The arrogance of professing Christians in this regard is appalling.

Lastly, there are those who will question the origins of my faith. So do I!! But I choose to ask God about those origins instead of some minister who is padding his pockets with my money. I give to my Church as did the early Christians, but I look to God for truth. I have found truth in my faith. I pray that each of you will find it in yours.

October 13, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
  10. ldean50

If you are a woman – you should not vote for Mitt Romney. Mormons do not fall into the category of what is historically known as Abrahamic religions. There is no Theologist in the world that would identify them as Christian. Mormons believe they are Christian, because they believe in Jesus Christ. Main-stream Christians (Mormons call non-mormons "Gentiles") do not believe in The Book of Mormon, nor do they consider it divinely inspired. Mormons believe Joseph Smith was a Prophet (i.e.Matthew, Mark, Luke,John). They believe their Quorum of 12 and 70 have the same "powers" of divine revelation and speaking directly with God, literally – not figuratively. The President of the LDS church can have conversations with God and change/update the Book of Mormon as times permit/demand. For example, the U.S. would not give Utah statehood until they abolished polygamy. Brigham Young had a "vision" where God told him no more polygamy. Boom, they are a state. Mormons believe Black people are Black because they are heathen and turned away from God; visions are taking place even as we speak to re-write that part of the Book of Mormon. Blacks were only allowed into the priesthood in the 90s. Mormons believe women who are not married cannot go to heaven. The Mormon Church (suspected to be worth 52 billion or so) financed and killed the Equal Rights Amendment in the 70s and they finance anti-gay, anti-women llegislature throughout the U.S. Mormons believe in 3 levels of heaven, God and Jesus are made of flesh and live on planets next door to each other; no belief in the Holy Trinity because their God is not omnipotent – when a "good Mormon" man dies, he becomes a God and gets his own planet (a good Mormon man is one who obeys ALL The rules/regs of the church). You are REQUIRED to give 10% of your income to the church, or you cannot get a "temple pass"... no temple pass, no sealed marriage. Women are subservient to men. Mormon Bishops control a portion of a community. Before you can get a temple pass, you have to go through a rigorous, video-taped interview with your Bishop describing in vivid detail all sins – the tapes can be used later for black-mail (like if you speak publicly against the church). Those missionary trips are required by the church and the parents have to pay for them. You don't go – you don't get to the highest level of heaven (Celestial-the one where single women are not allowed). Being a single woman is a sin against God, because he married Adam and Eve, er go, commanding all women to be married. Their main purpose is to procreate to help populate a man's planet in the afterlife. . . but the scariest of all is MItt Romney has taken an oath of blood atonement . . . if he divulges the secrets of the church, he has sinned and any Mormon can slit his throat to save his soul. Rent the movie "September Dawn" starring Jon Voight if you want to see from wince they come. Historically accurate except for the love story. The Mormon church has basically taken over Wikipedia with its public relations campaign, and you should soon be seeing the "I am a Mormon" campaign in a city near you. All propaganda to elect Mitt Romney, the great grandson of Parley Pratt charged with murder and treason. A good read for Mormon insight is "Blood of the Prophets" by Will Bigley. Educate yourself before you vote for a Mormon; unless you want to live in a non-Christian theocracy where you have to pay money to get into church.

October 13, 2011 at 11:54 am |
    • MarkinFL

Once again one Christian claiming another Christian is not a Christian. Just a bunch of different flavors of kool-aid all claiming to be the one true kool-aid. The Catholic church has blatantly attempted to influence politicians, what's the difference?

October 13, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Brooke

Your statements are so far from what is actually believed and practiced in the LDS church that it is almost funny. I have spent my entire 40 years in the LDS church and a can assure you that most of what you have written bares no resemblence to anything that I have ever been taught or experienced.

October 13, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • Diane

Boy you are really making stuff up. Go to Mormon.org to find out what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints really believes. Marriage is a sacred covenant and you have to be married to attain the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom. Men can't be single either. The family unit can be sealed together forever in the temple.

October 13, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
    • Jimbo

Your ignorance is on full display. You should quit posting about things that you know nothing about.

October 13, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • happily a mormon

Boy how do you sleep at night when you have told lies all day on line. You don't know what you are talking about. Don't read anti Mormon stuff and believe it. It isnt true. Go to mormon.org or better yet read the book of mormon and decide for yourself. Dont let a bunch of blatant lies on the internet decide for you.

October 13, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  11. BrewtownPsych

A religion based on golden tablets written by a proven charlatan in upstate New York is a religion you can believe in!

October 13, 2011 at 11:46 am |
  12. Jeff

Yes, and so is every other religion.

October 13, 2011 at 10:27 am |
  13. hippypoet

all religions are cults – proof can be found, all one has to do is get a di ctionary and read under the word cult. YAY for books not the bible! all cults should be taken out of politics!

October 13, 2011 at 9:30 am |
    • Riley

Ironic!

October 13, 2011 at 9:32 am |
    • hippypoet

what is ironic? One could argue the politics is a cult if thats what you mean?!?!?

October 13, 2011 at 9:44 am |
    • Riley

What is ironic is the relationship between the definition of "cult" and "religion."

October 13, 2011 at 9:46 am |
    • hippypoet

a lot of people think that once a cult has gotten social accecptance and gained a sizible following that it becomes a religion so they definition of one and the other of course will share many of the same foundations, but a religion is really only a accecpted social belief, size has little to do with it – the more that follow the more it is ok-ed by the general public, but is still a cult!

October 13, 2011 at 10:06 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@hippypoet
      Nothing is more frustrating to me than arguing semantics.
      Like when people conflate the colloquial use of "theory" with its proper use in the realm of science.
      The vernacular usage of "cult" is irrelevant for the purposes of rational debate.
      Go to the dictionary and look it up and we'll find that size is indeed irrelevant

October 13, 2011 at 10:39 am |
    • hippypoet

thats what i said DOC.. my words were. "size has little to do with it"

October 13, 2011 at 10:50 am |
    • Uncouth Swain

@hippy- then there would be no politics. We have a bunch of old men and women who make a pilgrimage every so often across the nation to a little place that was dubbed important by a bunch of other old white guys centuries ago. They go through rituals that the everyday person won't get but yet tells everyone how important what they do is. Govt is a cult.

October 13, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
  14. RFBJR

I believe we should stick to the point. The question is "Is Mormonism a cult?" Perhaps we should define what a cult is. From a Christian worldview, a cult is any religion or belief system that puts itself between God and Man, therefore taking the place of Jesus Christ and in effect saying they are Him, though sometimes indirectly.

I used to be a Jehovah's Witness and I can state with absolute fact that they are a cult. They routinely refer to themselves as "The Truth". Of course, we know that Jesus said that He was The Truth. JW's fundamental belief system is that you must be a JW in order to have everlasting life. If you are not, you won't. I believe that Mormons are in the same camp with regard to that belief.

Also, JW's tried to totally control your life. They were so nosy about what you were or weren't doing. They didn't allow you to attend college, join the military, listen to certain types of music, play school sports and a whole host of other things under the guise that it was "worldly". Mormonism, as well as a large amount of other religions, does the same exact thing. There are many cults out there, inside and outside of Christianity.

True Christianity allows freedom. There is freedom in grace through Jesus Christ. It is not the works that you do, it is not who you are, it is not the rituals that you perform...all fall short. The only way to receive the gift of everlasting life and grace is to accept Jesus Christ as your Saviour. That's it, simply stated. You cannot earn salvation. You just can't do it. He did it for you. If you believe that, you will be saved. "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." Accepting Christ is the only way to be truly free.

And don’t be foolish. You may respond to this, tell me you don’t believe in Jesus and say you are free. I hear what you are saying, but you are not free. You are a slave; a slave to death. With all the intellect that you have, all the brilliance that God has gifted you, your life will come to an end and you can do nothing at all to prevent it. Nothing. You are powerless in that regard. You can believe science will eventually come up with an answer to keep people from dying, but they are not even close. It is a mystery to the mind of man for one simple reason. There is a God and we aren’t Him.

October 13, 2011 at 9:28 am |
    • Riley

I always considered reality to be an illusion. How does slavery fit in?

October 13, 2011 at 9:30 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

"your life will come to an end and you can do nothing at all to prevent it."

Death is indeed inevitable.
      The difference between a religionist and an atheist is that an atheist doesn't seek to assuage their fear of death by cilnging to the supernatural.

October 13, 2011 at 9:36 am |
    • Riley

True that we all die, but whether anyone will remember us seems to be what really matters in this world. Why do you think everyone considers Jesus immortal? Everyone remembers him. Same as Ghandi, MLK, Shakespeare, George Washington, and Steve Jobs!!! (Bad joke, right?)

October 13, 2011 at 9:39 am |
    • Diane

Mormons believe in freedom. The free agency of man is an important part of the gospel. The freedom to chose right from wrong. They don't control your life. I can't believe some of the ridiculous claims you and others are making about the Mormon Church.

October 13, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • Jimbo

Your fourth paragraph makes sense and is true. Since I am not a JW I cannot comment on your conclusions about that religion. You do need to study a lot on what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints believes because you are way off base in all those comments.

October 13, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • let them worship how where and what they may

oh so you are a baptist

October 13, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  15. Les

I find that evangelicals are the modern day Sanhedrins – they think they are right and everyone is going to hell. Their Church is totally man-made and they all differ and contradict one another – there is no unity of faith – Completely man-made. A mormon would say this about the Savior," Christ died for all of us and paid the price for sin. The Savior suffered in a way that we can never comprehend in gethsamane and on the cross. He is the redeemer of all mankind and I am grateful for his sacred sacrifice for me and the whole world. I love him with all my heart and worship hiim – I truly believe in my Lord and Savior – I Believe in JESUS CHRIST!" The evangelical would say, You Don't Believe in Christ. You can't convince PRIDEFUL IDIOTS!

October 13, 2011 at 7:35 am |
    • Jimtanker

Jesus, another made up person.

October 13, 2011 at 7:58 am |
  16. Brother Johnny

Any religion that cannot stand up to public scrutiny is suspect. Cultish? A temple ceremony that included people mimicking slitting their throats or ripping out their guts with secret tokens, passwords and hand shakes to get Mormons past the veil in the after life. Males wearing baker's hats.... Its enough to give one pause... Cult?

October 13, 2011 at 4:30 am |
    • Les

Brother Johnny – you are a classic example of someone who is ingnorant and misinformed. There have always been people on Earth who talk before they understand sacred things – you're one of them. If you want to be informed by a Church go to that specific Church and get accurate information. I"m sure your sources are not from THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST of latter day Saints.

October 13, 2011 at 7:40 am |
    • Jimtanker

Magic underwear?

October 13, 2011 at 7:55 am |
    • HellBent

And this is so much weirder than a religion whose adherents believe they are literally drinking blood and eating flesh? At leas the mormons recognize that they're just simulating an act.

October 13, 2011 at 10:16 am |
    • bb

If you are using the various rituals as evidence to prove it is a cult, then Catholocisim is just as much a cult. I grew up in a Mormon family and now have a catholic wife. When I go to visit her family and attend mass and weddings it all seems very cultish. All the hand signals, standing up, kneeling down and repeating the same phrases over and over. It is all just as weird. People from all religions do these type of rituals automatically with out thinking, zombie-like, because they have been programmed to do this their whole life.

October 13, 2011 at 11:53 am |
  17. Ex-MoBot

In covering all side of an issue, why don't you also interview the ex-mormons who are recovering from the effects of a cult? See postmormon.org

October 13, 2011 at 4:07 am |
  18. warex

If you look deep into the LDS religion, going past the fluff they want to to know, you will find what I found.

October 13, 2011 at 3:45 am |
  19. warex

Why is NO ONE reporting the truth here? Here is the real reason LDS is a cult. They believe when they die (the men) become gods gaining a planet of their own. Their status as a god depends on how many wives they had on earth. They teach that women cannot inherit heaven except through there husband, since he is god.
    Sorry this is not christian, but something else.....try comparing it to scientology or jahova witness more than christian. They all believe in there is not one god but many. In the later religions, aliens......

October 13, 2011 at 3:42 am |
    • Jimtanker

Right, as oppposed to believing that an all powerfull god came to Earth as his own son and then died on a torture device, died for three days, and then came back as a zombie to make everything alright after Adam bit into an aple. Makes sense to me.

October 13, 2011 at 7:57 am |
    • Laurie

This is hilarious! As a member of the LDS church, I know that this information is totally innacurate! Get your facts right buddy.

October 13, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • Jimtanker

I said powerfull, that made me a certified assholle! loll!

October 13, 2011 at 11:37 am |
    • BrewtownPsych

The whole religion is based on "golden tablets" "found" in upstate New York by a proven charlatan. Man oh man. All religions are nuts but this takes the cake!

October 13, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • Kev

Considering that Latter-Day-Saints haven't practiced polygny in well over a century, and this includes church leadership such as the President of the Church, based on your statement, how are they going to make it to become gods? Even when polygny was practiced in the Church, only a minority of those families within the Church actually practiced it.

As to the point that women cannot inherit Heaven except through their husband, in order to obtain the greatest blessings from the Father, both men as well as women have to be married in the Temple and be married for all eternity. A man cannot obtain these same blessings without such a marriage "Nevertheless, neither is the man without the woman, neither is the woman without the man, in the Lord" (I Corinthians 11:11 KJV).

As to the point regarding of we as children of our Father in Heaven becoming gods. There is the belief that we have the potential to become gods because as children (spiritual children) of a loving Heavenly Father who loved us so much that he gave his only begotten son (begotten meaning in both flesh as well as spirit) so that those who believe in Christ would not perish buthave everlasting life ( paraphrased from John 3:16). Latter-Day-Saints believe that obtaining such blessings can happen only through the sacrifice Jesus Christ made for our behalf, because even though we are commanded to "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect" (Matthew 5:48 KJV), we cannot actually acheive it on our own. It's when we strive to do what we can to become perfect through following Christ and his teachings, even though we will always fall short, Christ knowing our efforts in faith and in deed, would then bestow his grace upon us to make up for our short comings.

October 13, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
  20. Kick Ass

a cult is simply a young shoot growing from a prior thicker religious branch. it may or may not one day grow into a full blown branch.

October 13, 2011 at 2:13 am |