home
RSS
Pray for the President? Yes thou shalt.
A Christian group organizes prayer for public officials including the president. Image from their website www.presidentialprayerteam.com
October 14th, 2011

Pray for the President? Yes thou shalt.

By Dave Schechter, CNN

(CNN) -
Republican presidential contender Rick Perry recently urged social conservatives to pray for President Barack Obama.

“As I campaign for president, I not only ask you for your vote and your support, I ask for your prayers. I ask you to pray for our country. I ask you to pray for our president to give him wisdom, to open his eyes,” the Texas Governor told an audience in Florida last month.

Doing just that is the stated mission of the Presidential Prayer Team.

Conceived in November 2000 in an adult Sunday school class in Scottsdale, Arizona, the PPT – or “The Prayer Team,” as it calls itself – takes its charge from the words of the Apostle Paul to his disciple Timothy: “First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. (1 Timothy 2:1-2)

“We believe prayer is the most important power in this entire world,” PPT president Jim Bolthouse tells CNN. The idea is simple: prayer moves God and God moves the leaders.

PPT members are charged to pray for their leaders, even if they don’t care for the individual or disagree with their policies. “We don’t necessarily agree with everything our President is doing, but that doesn’t stop us from praying for our President. That is a mandate,” Bolthouse says.

The PPT is a Christian enterprise. Prayers are offered “in Jesus’ name,” but Bolthouse notes that calls to pray for leaders can be found in the Old and New Testaments. Because of the range of beliefs within Christianity, the PPT tries to avoid denominational conflicts.

The original goal was to persuade one percent of the American population (at the time, roughly 2.8 million people) to pray for the president. The campaign was set to launch in November 2001 but the date was pushed up after the September 11 terrorist attacks. In March 2009 the PPT claimed 1.7 million members worldwide.
Today, 3.7 million people “have been served,” according to Bolthouse, a veteran of the computer industry, who played a key role in setting up the PPT’s technical operation at the beginning and became its president (a part-time position) in March 2010.

The $30,000 a month it costs to finance the PPT comes from individual donations. There is no charge to be a member; in fact, fewer than 1 percent of PPT members make a financial contribution, though there are 1,000-2,000 people who donate on average $45-55 monthly, Bolthouse says. These donors, he says, are people who “see the value in what prayer means for our country.” Finances are among the subjects discussed when the small staff gathers for its regular Monday morning prayers.

Most of the communication with members is by e-mail. A daily devotional is sent to some 38,000 members who have signed up for that service. The major weekly e-mail, covering a variety of topics, goes to about 580,000 people. E-mails include suggestions on topics worthy of prayer, “as the Lord moves you,” Bolthouse says.

Since its founding, the PPT has expanded its scope with prayers for Cabinet secretaries, congressional leaders, Supreme Court justices, the U.S. armed forces and even the first lady, Michele Obama. Suggestions are made for prayers on topics in the news, including the economy, relations between Israel and the Palestinians and the health care reform law advocated by the Obama administration.

“We’re taking a much more far-reaching stand in praying for our country, beyond just praying for our President,” Bolthouse says.

The PPT can be timely in its call for prayers. The January shootings in Tucson, Arizona, in which six people were killed and Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was one of 19 people wounded, happened just eight miles from PPT’s offices. Bolthouse says that the website began offering prayers – not only for those shot, but also for the emergency response and medical personnel involved – within 30 minutes of the incident, even before much of the news media had reported the news.

As for President Obama, Bolthouse says that it has taken effort to convince some PPT members that it is proper to pray for the current president, given their opposition to his policies, some of which he says are “in conflict with biblical principles.” Gay rights and abortion are two such issues, Bolthouse says, explaining, “These are not gray areas in the Scriptures,” he says.

PPT members are “asking God more for his divine intervention in Mr. Obama’s life than in Mr. Bush’s,” Bolthouse says, referring to President George W. Bush.

Bolthouse admits to being personally “cautious” when it comes to the President’s own assertions that he is a Christian, but Scriptures he says, counsel against passing judgment.

President Obama discussed the role of prayer in public policy debates when he spoke at the National Prayer Breakfast in February 2010.

“Surely we can agree to find common ground when possible, parting ways when necessary,” he said. “But in doing so, let us be guided by our faith, and by prayer. For while prayer can buck us up when we are down, keep us calm in a storm; while prayer can stiffen our spines to surmount an obstacle – and I assure you I’m praying a lot these days – prayer can also do something else. It can touch our hearts with humility. It can fill us with a spirit of brotherhood. It can remind us that each of are children of a awesome and loving God.”

Obama has reaffirmed his Christian faith many times, including in a January 2008 interview with Christianity Today.“I am a Christian, and I am a devout Christian,” he said.I believe in the redemptive death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I believe that that faith gives me a path to be cleansed of sin and have eternal life. But most importantly, I believe in the example that Jesus set by feeding the hungry and healing the sick and always prioritizing the least of these over the powerful.

A poll conducted in July-August 2010 for the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press offered evidence of the public confusion about the President’s religion. In the survey of more than 3,000 adult Americans, 18 percent identified the President as a Muslim, up from 11 percent in March 2009. About one-third (34 percent) said he is a Christian, down from 48 percent the year earlier. Forty-three percent said they did not know.

As for those who would like to succeed President Obama in the Oval Office, when the PPT website posted a column about the Republicans seeking the presidential nomination, the comments that followed included discussion – and warnings – about the degree to which individual candidates are worthy of being called Christian. That Republican presidential hopefuls Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman are Mormons is just one aspect of that debate.

The PPT website features a prayer wall on which participants offer prayers on a variety of subjects, sometimes on topics known to spark arguments and debate, such as same-sex marriage and the military’s recently-rescinded “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” regulations. There also is a page dedicated to “Morality in America.”

And coming in November from the PPT, one year before the 2012 elections, will be “Pray the Vote,” a project to provide to prayers for candidates at all levels, from the office of President to state legislators. The site will analyze where candidates stand on 10 “value points” identified by PPT members as being of particular interest.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Barack Obama • Belief • Christianity • Church and state • Politics • Prayer

1. Doc Vestibule

"The most ridiculous concept ever perpetrated by H.Sapiens is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of the Universes, wants the sacharrine adoration of his creations, that he can be persuaded by their prayers, and becomes petulant if he does not recieve this flattery. Yet this ridiculous notion, without one real shred of evidence to bolster it, has gone on to found one of the oldest, largest and least productive industries in history."
    – Robert Heinlein

October 14, 2011 at 10:54 am |
    • Jimtanker

Yes, Heinlein was a fiction writer, just like the guy who wrote the bible.

October 14, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • William Demuth

Asimov and Robert were probably the two greatest ever!

October 14, 2011 at 11:44 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

Have any patents ever come out of the bible?
      Heinlein invented the water bed....

October 14, 2011 at 11:55 am |
    • No, I'm the best.

But doc, they NEED to feel they have some control over their "out of control" environment. It makes them "feel safer, and better". Is that bad ? In fact prayer does not work, but they have not read the research. Why would they ? In a third world education system country, why would anyone expect them to "get an education", when they can't even answer the question : "around which celestial object does the earth rotate?". Very scary. These people vote. :(

October 14, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  2. BRC

As may be clear by now, I'm an atheist, so I have to ask for other people's views on this one. I understand that it is always good to pray for strength/wisdom/comfort and all other fluffy happy things for others. It's part of being loving for all. Grand. But that's not all this site is purporting. This site seems to be an example of a mindset that is not uncommon, that people should pray for other people to change their minds about things, to pray for other people to take specific actions that they believe to be correct (not just saying let God guide them, but let God guide them to do X). Doesn't that seem exactly like the kind of arrogance, violation of freewill, and remarkable political scheming that Jesus would be very VERY against? Last I heard, Jesus pointed out that "God" had a plan, and had the goings on of the world well in hand. Is praying to change how someone else works with plan really kosher? Isn't it a bit arrogant for someone to think that they better understand the plan than someone else.

October 14, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • J.W

I would agree unless the person is doing something obviously harmful, like doing drugs or committing murder.

October 14, 2011 at 11:21 am |
    • Draz

Re: "not just saying let God guide them, but let God guide them to do X"

I must say that you have a valid point, and I say that as a Bible-believing Christian. While there are many God-honoring ways that a praying Christian could fill in "X," in your statement, the truth is that many (most?) would pray to see some personal or political agenda fulfilled. While it's not wrong to make your personal requests known to God in prayer, and one should pray specifically, it should not be done selfishly. Truthfully, if "saying let God guide them" was the heartfelt prayer of more Christians, then the rest would take care of itself.

October 14, 2011 at 11:25 am |
    • BRC

@JW,
      In that case, I would say that prayer isn't a strong enough measure, if you know the person you should take hands on action to put an end to such things if possible.

October 14, 2011 at 11:27 am |
    • Jimtanker

One pair of hands at work has done more than a thousands hands clasped in prayer.

October 14, 2011 at 11:37 am |
    • J.W

I see what you mean BRC. If there was a murder happening next door to me I would definitely call the police. I don't think that God expects us to do nothing. I do not believe necessarily that God changes peoples minds for them, but perhaps just guides them, so that maybe they will change their minds.

October 14, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • Kay

They pray for such things because they are taught via biblical writings that continue to be interpreted according to iron age 'science' re: this godhead being able to hear suplications and outcries from the people's of the earth. They have yet to marry modern knowledge of the natural world to the basic human psychology revealed in biblical writings because they are fixated on the idol and what it can do for them.

October 14, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • fred

BRC
      Perhaps you are an atheist because you felt one time God did not answer prayer. Answered prayer turns a heart towards God very quickly yet lasts a short time. Unanswered prayer raises its head from that point forward. Prayer is but a moment of unity with God when it comes from a heart inclined towards God. When the answer to prayer is no there is a deeper answer that has escaped the senses. At this point one can say there is no God or find the God who would say no. That process of seeking will reveal the heart of God and your own heart as well. In retrospect you are left with awe regardless of the answer. If you give up seeking that unanswered prayer will raise its head until you find the heart of God. For many are called but few are chosen.
      This prayer site when all is said and done will reveal the powerless nature of man in most areas of life. Those that come to the site thinking they have some degree of control will be disappointed. The power of prayer comes from our Lord as his thoughts are higher than ours. If I pray for God to restore don’t ask don’t tell the power of the Lord is revealed when He puts the spot light on why I ask for such a thing. If I am listening He may carve out a darkness in me that needs attention or direct me towards an action. What I then do determines the effectiveness and power of prayer. The closer my relationship with God the more likely my prayer is in line with His will and His will be done.

October 14, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  3. Jimtanker

October 14, 2011 at 10:47 am |
    • hippypoet

oh Jim, lets walk in the light together...

We believe in one God,
      the Father, the Almighty SUN,
      Creator of heaven and earth,
      of all that is, seen and unseen.
      God from God, Light from Light,
      true God from true God,
      Through him all things were made.
      For us and for our salvation
      he came down from heaven:
      by the power of the Holy LIGHT WAVES
      he became incarnate from the Merry people,
      there will be no judging the living and or the dead,
      and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the LIGHT, the Lord, the giver of life,
      With the SUN he is worshiped and glorified.
      He has spoken through the Prophet Hippypoet.
      We believe in one holy SUN and Church of eternal LIGHT.
      We will look up towards the heavens,
      bathe in the LIGHT OF THE LORD, THE ALMIGHY SUN.
      AMEN.

October 14, 2011 at 10:49 am |
    • HeavenSent

"The Lord has made all for Himself, yes even the wicked for the day of doom." Proverbs 16:4 (Romans 9:6-24, Psalms 92:5-7)

Amen.

October 14, 2011 at 10:55 am |
    • Jimtanker

HP,

The light is only on when the door is open. Meditate on that one for a while.

October 14, 2011 at 11:26 am |
    • Scott - 1

@HeavenSent: Well that pretty well puts the lie to the loving god concept

October 14, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • derp

"I pray to my magic milk carton every morning and it has the same results as your god."

At least you get some milk out of the magic milk carton.

October 14, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  4. Jimtanker

Prayer simply DOES NOT WORK. It is only wishfull thinking.

I have a challenge for all of you out there who believe in god and want to prove it to non-believers. Ask your entire congregation to pray for just one of our soldiers to regrow a lost limb. That is all. Just one person to regrow amputated limb. Or is your god not powerful enough for that? Or do you not believe enough that he will do that for you? Or are you a bunch of WBC nutjobs that don’t want our soldiers to be able to play ball with their kids?

In fact, there have been studies done in which a religious hospital performed a tripple blind study on cardiac patients and the ones that were prayed for and knew that they were being prayed for did the worst of all the patients. The ones that were not prayed for did the best. Or is this just part of your fake gods plan?

October 14, 2011 at 10:46 am |
    • HeavenSent

Still asking carnal minded questions Jim. All injuries acquired in the carnal state learn His spiritual truth how to endure to the end.

This will always go over your head due to you not having eyes to see nor ears to hear His truth.

Amen.

October 14, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • Draz

Prayer is talking to God, not making a list of demands and expecting Him to fulfill them according to your whims. It's certainly not some cosmic test to prove God's existence.

October 14, 2011 at 11:08 am |
    • Jimtanker

OK, so I should pray for it to be warm and sunny tomorrow? Would that be an easier prayer for him to make come true? Especially since I'm in Kuwait and it was around 100* today. Go figure.

October 14, 2011 at 11:34 am |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Hey Jim. On the bright side Oct is when Kuwait starts getting cooler. Relatively speaking of course. Night time is best the temp drops all the way down to 80 and sometimes 70!

October 14, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • Scott - 1

@H.S.: Your god is either a liar or does not exist and nothing you can say or do will change the fact that he does not answer prayer like he promised

And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it. (John 14:13-14 NAB)

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. (John 15:7 NAB)

On that day you will not question me about anything. Amen, amen, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you. Until now you have not asked anything in my name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete. (John 16:23-24 NAB)

October 14, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • No, I'm the best.

Prayer is talking to yourself, using your brain cells, just like you do when you talk to anyone. You can tell yourself you are talking to god, but it's just the electrical functioning of your cells, and has nothing to do with a deity.

October 15, 2011 at 3:16 am |
  5. J.W

I prayed for all of you to be alive today, and it worked. And if you would have been alive anyways my prayer made you more lively.

October 14, 2011 at 10:46 am |
    • Chuckles

That's funny, I prayed (harder I might add) that only the atheists would be alive today and voila! It looks like god loves me more.

October 14, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • J.W

I am still alive Chuckles, but God always answers my prayers. Don't worry he still loves you too.

October 14, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • Chuckles

Don't worry buddy, I didn't pray for anyones death, just for atheists to be livlier

October 14, 2011 at 11:07 am |
    • J.W

The atheists have been pretty lively on here today Chuckles. You just proved the existence of God to yourself. You didn't even need me.

October 14, 2011 at 11:16 am |
    • Chuckles

ahhh, but what you didn't know is I made an animal sacrifice to zeus this morning. I guess I may have proven god exists, but also that it is in fact Zeus who exists. Shall we start worshipping him together?

October 14, 2011 at 11:22 am |
    • J.W

Ha God tricked you. Zeus is really God, and all of the other gods are God's angels. You just made your sacrifice to God.

October 14, 2011 at 11:37 am |
    • Chuckles

But if it was god god, then he would only accept my animal sacrifice in the Temple in jerusalem by a priest on my behalf. He also, in true greek god fashion, then came down and spoke with me this morning, threatened to do a little killing out of jealousy, ra.ped a woman or 5 and then flew back to Olympus

October 14, 2011 at 11:45 am |
    • J.W

He had mercy on you he knew you couldn't make it to the temple today. And there is probably a serial rap.ist that has never been found. Who you think that may be?

October 14, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • Chuckles

well the greek gods were known for their ra.pings, Whatever though, I guess since atheists are so lively today you and I have proven that god definitly exists beyond reasonable doubt, his name is zeus and his a ra.pist.

October 14, 2011 at 11:54 am |
    • J.W

It is more like tough love not rap.e. It is what makes women such delightful creatures.

October 14, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  6. J.W

Why can't I just pray for the president on my own? Why do I need to be a member of some special team and give money to do it?

October 14, 2011 at 10:30 am |
    • tallulah13

A wholeheartedly agree. I believe this sort of set up is more about showing piety instead of being pious.

October 14, 2011 at 10:35 am |
    • DamianKnight

I agree...and if this team is merely getting together to pray, why do they need money?

October 14, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • Draz

We live in a world where things cost money. Creating a circle of communication for 580,000 people per month isn't free, no matter how well-intentioned the instigator.

If people walk into our church on Sunday and balk or get indignant when the plate is passed around, I wonder how they'd feel about there being no air conditioning in the south, in August. Speaking of my own church, every ministry or service we provide is free. The material and utility costs ain't.

October 14, 2011 at 11:14 am |
    • J.W

I agree Draz. I do not know about the megachurches, but most churches are not owned by the pastor. The pastor does not even own the house that he lives in. Everything belongs to the church itself and the members of the church.

October 14, 2011 at 11:19 am |
    • Draz

@J.W.

That said... any local church assembly with integrity should have an open-door policy regarding their financial statement. A church that won't show the public where its revenue is going is a church that's got something hinky going on.

October 14, 2011 at 11:29 am |
    • J.W

Yeah Draz I think that most do at least periodically. And generally they have a finance council and the member vote on any major expenses.

October 14, 2011 at 11:34 am |
    • derp

I think this is brilliant idea. If we can manage to con these twits into believing that they can pray the next president into office, maybe they will not go out and vote.

October 14, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  7. Rick Perry

SAVE A PRETZEL FOR THE GAS JETS! VOTE FOR ME!

October 14, 2011 at 10:23 am |
  8. Jimtanker

Prayer doesn't work, there is no god. Live a good life and be happy with reality.

October 14, 2011 at 10:05 am |
    • Anglican

Sounds like you have got it ALL figured out.

October 14, 2011 at 10:11 am |
    • hippypoet

oh jim...prayer works – here try it with me...

We believe in one God,
      the Father, the Almighty SUN,
      Creator of heaven and earth,
      of all that is, seen and unseen.
      God from God, Light from Light,
      true God from true God,
      Through him all things were made.
      For us and for our salvation
      he came down from heaven:
      by the power of the Holy LIGHT WAVES
      he became incarnate from the Merry people,
      there will be no judging the living and or the dead,
      and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the LIGHT, the Lord, the giver of life,
      With the SUN he is worshiped and glorified.
      He has spoken through the Prophet Hippypoet.
      We believe in one holy SUN and Church of eternal LIGHT.
      We will look up towards the heavens,
      bathe in the LIGHT OF THE LORD, THE ALMIGHY SUN.
      AMEN.

October 14, 2011 at 10:13 am |
    • Colin

Anglican – sounds like you think some Bronze Age Jewish goat herders had it all figured out. Jim has 2,000 years of enlightenment and scientific progress behind him. Try it some time.

October 14, 2011 at 10:14 am |
    • tallulah13

I agree Jim.

October 14, 2011 at 10:15 am |
    • Anglican

Oh, the Enlightenment, when man became God. The great divide of faith and arrogance.

October 14, 2011 at 10:17 am |
    • warmesTghosT

Really? I think it's FAR more arrogant to believe that the almighty creator of the entire universe knows and cares deeply for your insignificant little life, and that only you and those who blindly accept your version of faith will be saved for eternal paradise while the rest of us wallow in hell.

Narcissism and stupidity at their worst.

October 14, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • tallulah13

@Anglican

Believing that an omnipotent superpower created a special paradise where you can live forever (after you die) if you obey a certain set of laws seems like the height of vanity to me. I fail to understand why you think it's so arrogant to realize that life is finite and humanity is just not that important in the grand scheme of things.

October 14, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • Anglican

tall13. I guess we can agree to disagree or not. I am as sure of my faith as you are of your unbelief.

October 14, 2011 at 10:45 am |
    • DamianKnight

And if prayer doesn't work, and people do it anyway, whom does it hurt? If prayer does work, and people do it, whom does it benefit?

The point is, whether you believe God exists or not, prayer doesn't hurt anyone.

October 14, 2011 at 10:52 am |
    • HeavenSent

How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity? For scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge.

Proverbs 1:22

Amen.

October 14, 2011 at 11:02 am |

DamianKnight

So untrue.

Just like the Reagens belif in Astrology was immaterial, until you find they are basing policy on it.

Prayer takes effort, and we can ill afford to waste effort on unproductive endeavors.

Our society is collapsing, its time to turn away from childish things.

October 14, 2011 at 11:20 am |
    • DamianKnight

@William,

No one's talking about basing policy on anything. I'm talking simply about prayer. If I pray to God for our president, how does that hurt you?

October 14, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • HellBent

@DK,

Prayer would hurt in the case where parents of a cancer ridden child pray for the child to get better instead of getting the child radiation or chemo. Inaction can have consequences.

It's a totally extreme example, for sure. But I think, in this case, it's still relevant. If you're just praying, say, for peace of mind, then yeah, no one's hurt.

October 14, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@HellBent,

I agree. I'm saying just pure prayer doesn't hurt anyone. If somebody doesn't get a child chemo or some such, that doesn't have anything to do with prayer, but on religious beliefs. Prayer, in and of itself, is free and doesn't harm anybody.

October 14, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • Scott - 1

H.S.
      JESUS: Matt. 5: 22, But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

October 14, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  9. tallulah13

I confess that my response to this article was laughter.

October 14, 2011 at 10:01 am |
    • BRC

If I had laughed it would have been in stunned disbelief.

October 14, 2011 at 10:23 am |
  10. hippypoet

We believe in one God,
    the Father, the Almighty SUN,
    Creator of heaven and earth,
    of all that is, seen and unseen.
    God from God, Light from Light,
    true God from true God,
    Through him all things were made.
    For us and for our salvation
    he came down from heaven:
    by the power of the Holy LIGHT WAVES
    he became incarnate from the Merry people,
    there will be no judging the living and or the dead,
    and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the LIGHT, the Lord, the giver of life,
    With the SUN he is worshiped and glorified.
    He has spoken through the Prophet Hippypoet.
    We believe in one holy SUN and Church of eternal LIGHT.
    We will look up towards the heavens,
    bathe in the LIGHT OF THE LORD, THE ALMIGHY SUN.
    AMEN.

October 14, 2011 at 9:58 am |
    • hippypoet

there... i did my praying for Obama. the rest he can do on his own. i have faith in him. :)

October 14, 2011 at 9:59 am |
    • HeavenSent

Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.

James 1:21

Amen.

October 14, 2011 at 11:04 am |
    • Scott - 1

@H.S.
      “Do not cook a baby goat in its mother’s milk.”
      one of god's 10 commandments (check it out if you don't believe me)
      –Ex 34 26

October 14, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  11. surprised?

Oh, the power of 'Prayer', what else drives the atheists crazy?????

October 14, 2011 at 9:52 am |
    • A belief

Why else do you think drives them(athiests) by the droves to rattle on a topic that is so near and dear to them.

October 14, 2011 at 9:56 am |

The Power Of Prayer?

Wasn't that a Huey Lewis and The News song back in the 80's?

Please don't make me laugh. On 9-11 I heard 2000 souls SREAMING out their prayers as they burnt to death in the wreckage.

It did them no good, and it wont help you either.

October 14, 2011 at 9:57 am |
    • How

Hey willy how can you be so sure Prayers are not answered? Ask any believer and they will vouch for the power in the Prayer.

October 14, 2011 at 10:00 am |
    • Jimtanker

These are the same delusional tools that believe the someone died and came back to life 3 days later to absolve you of your sins because some dude bit into some fruit.

October 14, 2011 at 10:07 am |

How

Because I have watched the children of the survivors.

A man prays for his children (at least an honorable man) at the time of his death.

Their children are watching their worlds be destroyed. You see the prayers actually damn those who live in the real world. The blindness of religion was their deaths, NOT their salvation. It killed their parents, is destroying their country, and soon will destroy their world.

October 14, 2011 at 10:09 am |
    • How

It takes a deeper understanding to discern between a fact and a fantasy.

October 14, 2011 at 10:12 am |
    • HellBent

"vouch for the power of prayer" Ha! Really? You're serious?

Let's see, I'll pray for me to survive the next minute. After that will I be qualified to "vouch for the power of prayer"?

If prayer worked, its effects would be measurable. The power of prayer could be independently observed. But studies have shown conclusively that prayer has no supernatural effects. It's no more powerful than meditation or some kind words.

October 14, 2011 at 10:15 am |
    • How

Hey willy, you watched the children of 'survivors' and concluded prayers were ineffective on a global level, therefore Prayers are to be abandoned by all creatures of the universe?am not sure I can see an correlation between the two?

October 14, 2011 at 10:17 am |
    • tallulah13

I think you need to work on that deeper understanding, How, because you appear to be deeply vested in fantasy.

October 14, 2011 at 10:17 am |
    • How

How prayer works- it is not a magic wand for your wishful thots.It is a deeper yearning within a created being to connect with its maker.

That connection has to come from within, it cannot be argued , it has to be experienced on a personal basis.

October 14, 2011 at 10:21 am |

How

Because if prayer works, whence cometh misery?

Perhaps the Muhammaden cult prays to a stronger God?
      Perhaps God is indifferent?
      Perhaps God is incapable of intervening?

In any event it seems Christian prayers would result in a world desirable to Christians?

Perhaps you have what you want?

October 14, 2011 at 10:25 am |
    • tallulah13

@How

So you had an emotional experience. You wanted something (a connection with a higher power) and you convinced yourself you found it. If it makes you happy, great, but it isn't evidence of anything.

October 14, 2011 at 10:26 am |
    • Arny

@How
      I totally agree. I have seen the works in which science cannot explain. Its sad for those who think that every prayer must be answered to their own according. God answers all prayers, but sometimes the answer is no. Those who must see to believe will never understand. Blessed are those who do not see and yet believe.

October 14, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • TruthPrevails

dumba$$ comments like yours

October 14, 2011 at 10:36 am |
    • BRC

How,
      you are correct, it is completely personal; which is why it isn't provable Your interpretation of how prayer "works" has no repeatable, provable, or measurable effect. There are several people who have said similar things, that prayer gives them a closer feeling to their creator, that the changes were in their hears or in their minds. And you know what, that's all fine. If people's personal "prayers" to the creator they believe in makes them feel better, great, I am all for it, that's what a person's faith should be for. But there is no reason for other people to believe it, and there is no proof that it works on any scale outside of someone's own heart and mind. The same effects can be, and have been shown, in people that simply have strong wills or very positive outlooks with good emotional support.

October 14, 2011 at 10:36 am |
    • How

Hey Willy-We cannot blame God for evil and suffering, here is the 101 on suffering, in the beginning everything was perfect till Man disobeyed and ate of the fruit to know of Good and Evil, it is a choice man made for himself.

By just choosing to take God out of the equation did evil/ suffering become any less?, Did it go away? No, on the contrary, Prayer can help heal that suffering, I have seen compassionate hearts at work in the midst of human suffering,because of a deep connection with God that soul had. Many missionaries are in the front lines , have given up everything to serve in love, from whence cometh that force to serve? from that connection a being has with its maker.

Lets face it evil and suffering will never go away, this is not heaven, we have never been told this is going to be heaven,Amidst those times where is your anchor willy? within your own self?
      Quit kicking the Rock with a pair of rubber boots , it just hurts you.

October 14, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • Anglican

@How. It is obvious to me that most of the atheist on this blog are angry at the god they say they do not believe in. Maybe there was a prayer not answered in the way they wanted, so they are disappointed. Why else would some be so angry, and hanging out on a faith blog.

October 14, 2011 at 10:50 am |
    • HellBent

@Anglican and @How,

One can express disbelief at another's opinion without being angry. I don't see anger in any responses. Incredulity, maybe, but not anger.

Do you get angry at Zeus? It's just as ridiculous to think that an atheist gets angry at your god. Atheists lack a belief in one more god than you do.

October 14, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • HellBent

" Prayer can help heal that suffering, "

So can meditation. No deity required.

October 14, 2011 at 11:00 am |

How

I know your faith better than you.

Your God if he existed would be incompotent.

Your foolish beliefs damage society and can no longer be tolerated.

What happens to us is up to us and ONLY us, and your childishness hastens the collapse of the human race.

October 14, 2011 at 11:03 am |
    • BRC

@Anglican,
      What about my post seemed angry?

And it's not the faith blog, it's the belief blog. Atheists believe there are no gods, but that humans are perfectly capable of living happy, fulfilling, morally sound lives without them. We are here to share and discuss those beliefs; and to share our concerns that other people's religious beliefs (that have no proof in our eyes) may have direct effects on our lives. Any comments on those beliefs?

October 14, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • HeavenSent

Jesus warned,

Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Matthew 7:13

Amen.

October 14, 2011 at 11:06 am |
    • Ok'yDok'y

"Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

LOL – you definitely haven't found it. ;-)

October 14, 2011 at 11:09 am |
    • Ron Jeremy

I did a little experiment last year. For the first 6 months it wasn't an experiment. I was an actual Christian. I prayed to jesus for lots of different things. I wrote everything down that I prayed for. Finally I got sick of praying to jesus and began praying to the Monopoly guy. I wrote all those prayers down for six months.

The percentage of allegedly answered prayers from jesus, a whopping 18%!! Go jesus! Thanks!

And what of the Monopoly guy? 42%

The winner, Monopoly guy. Far more consistent, and isn't going to send me to hell for mistakes he made in the first place.

October 14, 2011 at 11:29 am |
    • Anglican

@hellbent. You missed the two F bombs I received yesterday. If is not anger or unrest, why do atheist mock others belief on a faith blog? There is no other reason for them to be here, cutting people they do not know to shreds. Anger or unrest or resentment.

October 14, 2011 at 11:33 am |
    • Tallulah13

Anglican, I don't waste time being angry at something I don't believe in. Even when I did believe, I never expected anything from god. I am pretty self-sufficient person. I don't believe in god because there is no evidence or reason for a god. Simple as that.

October 14, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • Fed Up

Anglican,

I realize that saying, "Well, *they* do it too" is not a mature att-itude or a proper response, but have you read the all-too- frequent posts by Prism, CW, HeavenSent, Adelina (etc), herbert juarez, and many, many others who continually condemn non-believers to eternal torture and damnation or oblivion, accuse them of being satan-inspired and all sorts of other castigations and insults? Perhaps they don't use the F-bomb in their sanctimonious tirades, but the same message is there.

So, if some of us sound angry sometimes, it's because we are fed up with it!

October 14, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • Ok'yDok'y

"It is obvious to me that most of the atheist on this blog are angry at the god they say they do not believe in."

You're the one projecting anger into what you read because that is what you want to believe. We are not angry, take anger out of your mind and read the posts again. I for one use sarcasm, most of the time I am laughing. What you need to ask yourself have you been brainwashed into believing that anyone who doesn't agree with your version of beliefs is angry at your god. The church has a great way of doing that, to keep you all in line. LOL!

October 14, 2011 at 11:51 am |
    • Hasa Diga Eebowai

October 14, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • Ok'yDok'y

"Heaven, do you actually believe that jesus wrote a single page of the bible... you sound like you do"

Heaven Sent couldn't think there way out of a box.

October 14, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  12. hippypoet

YES ALMIGHTY SUN, SHINE UPON OBAMA AS WELL AS THE ENTIRE PLANET. THE ONLY TRUE PROVIDER OF LIFE AND GIVER OF FREE REUSEBLE ENERGY, GIVE US YOUR LIGHT SO THA WE MAY KNOW YOUR THERE. AMEN.

October 14, 2011 at 9:51 am |
    • HeavenSent

And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded;

Deuteronomy 17:3

Amen.

October 14, 2011 at 11:11 am |
    • Hasa Diga Eebowai

So does god acknowledge that there are other gods?

October 14, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
  13. truindep

Ipray the American people will vote obama and his thugs out of office in 2012

October 14, 2011 at 9:47 am |
    • Anglican

Yea, lets get in the thugs who marginalize the poor and then kick them to the curb. Lets forget about healthcare for all.

October 14, 2011 at 9:50 am |
    • Jimtanker

Yet another prayer that wont come true.

October 14, 2011 at 10:08 am |
  14. Anglican

God have mercy on "angry atheist"

October 14, 2011 at 9:44 am |

Mercy?

Athiests don't expect it, won't accept it, and will not offer it when the time comes.

You have had your days on the stage, and your faith is fading.

Soon those wha have judged us, shall be judged by us, and be warned, we shall show no quarter.

October 14, 2011 at 9:52 am |
    • Anglican

So you will be a god. Delusional and quiet sad.

October 14, 2011 at 10:00 am |
    • Anglican

So you will become a god? Delusional and quiet sad.

October 14, 2011 at 10:03 am |
    • William Demuth

How can we be something that dosen't exist?

Your God is a delusion, a figment of your indoctrination.

He can not protect you.

October 14, 2011 at 10:11 am |
    • Anglican

Well, thats where you are incorrect. God does exist and He created you. May He have mercy on you.

October 14, 2011 at 10:14 am |

Anglican

You are irrelevant, as is the imaginary God you worship.

The days of the dominance of the indoctrinated are drawing to a close.

Soon you shall be judged, but not by some Bronze Age Palestinian Super Hero, but by men.

October 14, 2011 at 10:20 am |
    • TruthPrevails

First of all, asking god to have mercy on us angry atheists is rather futile when we don't believe in it. Second, care to explain what exactly it is we are angry about? Most of us are fun loving, easy going, enchanting adults who would rather plug our unknowns with unknowns than a fictional character than the fairy tales that christian children believe in!

October 14, 2011 at 10:39 am |
    • Anglican

I do not answer to man. Why so much anger and want for retribution? Sounds like someone or something let you down along the way.

October 14, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • Anglican

@Truth. If the faithful are so wrong, why waste your time trying to endorse your disbelief?

October 14, 2011 at 10:54 am |
    • TruthPrevails

And if you're so right, why waste your time trying to convince us? What we speak of has been proven with facts and evidence, what you speak of has no facts or evidence. I only wish for future generations to be taught the truth in accordance with science and updated information and not a book that was written 2000 years ago and has been proven to be full of fallacies.

October 14, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • TruthPrevails

@Anglican: I'm not angry at anything and I'm not seeking retribution for anything. You seem to think that Atheists are angry at a god that quite simply they do not believe exists. You have no more proof for you god's existence than we do, we just have chosen to accept that factor. How anyone still believes in a god when there is so much evidence to state otherwise is baffling. The bible is full of horror and contradictions and even most people who call themselves christian do not follow it. By taking the stance of non-belief we end up being held fully responsible for what we do. Problem solving is now on us instead of praying for an answer.
      I'm guessing you have never taken the time to get to know an Atheist or you'd know what we stand for.

October 14, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • fred

William Demuth
      You sound almost exactly like those that walked by Christ on the Cross and the criminal hanging next to him. Filled with mocking and hate to the last breath. The other criminal looking at Christ and said I deserve this but you are innocent, remember me. Jesus said today you will be with me in paradise.
      Regardless if atheist or theist there are only two kinds of hearts in this world and these final moments give a clear picture of both. Where do you fit into this simple picture and why?

October 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • Answer

Evangelists always paint those who are against them as being angry. It is not a surprising fact.
      They want to be morally superior but they never are. They want to be seen as the ones with all the knowledge but they do not have it. We atheists are always content with the facts. The best fact that we have accepted is that "we do not know."

Try saying "I do not know" more often, you'll eventually see that we are right.

October 14, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  15. Janice Meints

I pray that you will be out fo the white house in 2012 , Amen !!!

October 14, 2011 at 9:43 am |
    • tallulah13

Who? Me?

October 15, 2011 at 12:27 am |
  16. Colin

So, praying hey? It goes like this, right? You think certain things you would like to happen, such as "please God, make President Obama wise." You don’t even need to say anything. A magic, immortal super-being conceived in a Palestinian slum about 3,000 years ago, which is powerful enough to have created the entire Universe and its 200,000,000,000 galaxies, each with about 500,000,000,000 stars and planets, 13.7 billion years ago, is monitoring your thoughts and reads your mind (or “hears your prayers” as some euphemistically call it).

This being is also simultaneously monitoring the thoughts of the other 6,000,000,000 human beings, 24-7, lest any of them be praying – or having naughty thoughts about his neighbor’s wife – and, if this being is so minded, it will intervene to alter what would otherwise be the course of human history in small ways to suit the whims of the person praying (or “answers your prayers” as some euphemistically call it).

That so many of us still believe this Bronze Age mythology into the 21st Century is nothing short of astonishing! Then again, virtually every newspaper in the country still has an astrology column, specials on Bigfoot and ghosts regularly appear on the “Discovery” Channel and 40% of those who believe the above supersti.tion think the Flintstones is a docu.mentary.

October 14, 2011 at 9:41 am |
    • HeavenSent

Then hear thou from the heavens, [even] from thy dwelling place, their prayer and their supplications, and maintain their cause, and forgive thy people which have sinned against thee.

2 Chronicles 6:39

Amen.

October 14, 2011 at 11:18 am |
    • fred

Colin
      You are coming around when I see you are astonished at the things God can do. These are only the things you see and have observed . Now, imagine how much more that you cannot see and cannot observe. Did you sense that thought of astonishment or was it only words on paper. Do you not sense that which is outside yourself or is it only you and your thoughts.
      I have hidden my face from the wise says the Lord. Why is that? You have read the Bible and note that it is a story of God redeeming a people for Himself. Is He calling you, is He speaking to you or do you hear His voice? Then it is not for you as with most of the people in that story they rejected God and went their own way. One thing for sure you no longer can use the excuse “but, I did not know” because you did. You read and mocked the story of redemption for the last few years of your life. Not knowing God is one thing, mocking is another and mocking His redeemed takes it up another level. Let those that believe they have heard the voice and seen the truth continue on their respective journeys. It does not concern you as you are not being called.
      But, you cannot. Something nagging / tugging at your soul that you cannot shake so it makes you angry. It is the darkness a very real ent-ity. Your basic instinct knows it and your mind is trying to make sense of it. You redirect your anger towards Christ. It is Christ that offers you freedom from that darkness yet you kick Him in the goads as Saul did. You Colin will make a tremendous impact for the glory of God because of all the gifts you have been given. Why can you not see the chains that bind you are not Christ but the same evil that made the Sanhedrin nail Jesus to the cross. The same evil that put a crown of thorns on Christ’s head and a purple robe on His innocence. It was the royalty of the religious of that time as it is the royalty of today that tramples the innocent.
      You were given the gift to end the humiliation and suffering of the innocent. Get off this web site and go and do what you were gifted for.

October 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Ok'yDok'y

“Something nagging / tugging at your soul that you cannot shake so it makes you angry. It is the darkness a very real ent-ity. Your basic instinct knows it and your mind is trying to make sense of it. You redirect your anger towards Christ.”

You are totally making that crap up – you are lying to others and yourself. There is no anger, no basic instinct, there is no getting angry at christ because it doesn’t exist. That’s what you can’t comprehend. It’s so funny that Christians read into what people write as being angry, it’s been brainwashed into without you even realizing it. We are here just having fun, there’s no anger involved. Stop projecting your personal life experiences onto other people, especially when they AREN”T true, it's time to stop lying.

October 14, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • Ok'yDok'y

"Get off this web site and go and do what you were gifted for."

Why don't you start practice what you're trying to preach..oh we know why....cause you're full of crap.

October 14, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • fred

Ok'yDoky
      How can any of us help but project what we are? You are okydoky, my uncle always said okydoky chili mokie. Unfortunately, your name is the opposite of your posts. Things are not okydoky with you this morning. You are not so Okay
      Is it because I recognize Colin as having great gifts and talents which our world desperately needs? He can make a difference and something is tugging at him.
      You on the other hand took what I said to Colin personal. Not to worry, I have no plans on taking him away from you or this web site, yet. We would all miss him so.
      Your response is to the point and very clear. You are angry I mean HOT baby. This does not happen unless there is a kettle that has been steaming deep inside that needs venting. Looking only at what you said your anger resolves around not being able to see what believers see. Jealousy can destroy any soul and leaves a bitter shell. Get a red letter addition of the NIV Bible. Read only those things Jesus had to say. Do not approach it with anger and wrath but simply as a child. Yes, quite your soul and breath deep and say to yourself what is in the words of Jesus for me. Do not judge these words as you have others you do not know. Do not judge the words until you are finished. It does not take long.

October 14, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
  17. Lucifer's Evil Twin

This entire article is ridiculous. Also, MS should sue them for using *.ppt

October 14, 2011 at 9:38 am |
  18. JohnR

It's amazing what some people will waste time and energy on.

October 14, 2011 at 9:26 am |
    • HellBent

Imagine all of the good that could actually result if they went out and DID something rather than talking to the air.

October 14, 2011 at 10:16 am |
    • HeavenSent

Hellbent, Christians have been telling you for months to move out of your parents house and get a job.

Amen.

October 14, 2011 at 11:20 am |
    • HellBent

HS,

You're not a very good representative of your faith. But I'm guessing you know that. Do you enjoy making lame attempts to insult others?

My parents are dead. But thanks.

October 14, 2011 at 11:34 am |
  19. Doc Vestibule

I bet if this group had existed in the 1930's, FDR would have been running marathons by his second term.

October 14, 2011 at 9:22 am |

Nice!

Plus Clinton would have been celibate, Nixon would have been honest, Bush would have died in Vietnam, Oswalds gun would have blown up in his face, Reagan wouldn't have been senile and Skippy Peanut Butter would be called Carters!

October 14, 2011 at 9:27 am |
    • captain america

What moron was running your own country in the 1930's?

October 14, 2011 at 9:48 am |

captain america

Do not mock Herbert Hoover, he was George Bush's role model.

October 14, 2011 at 9:54 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Captain America
      "Iron Heel" Bennet for the first half, then William Lyon Mackenzie King for the latter.
      King, though eccentric, is considered one of Canada's greates Prime Ministers.
      "A true man does not only stand up for himself, he stands up for those that do not have the ability to".
      – W.L. Mackenzie King

Can I answer any other questions for you, Cap'n – or are you done trolling for the day?

October 14, 2011 at 9:59 am |
    • captain america

Bill, docs country does not have presidents.Doc is a foreigner trying to butt into Americas news, probably because his opinion isn't needed or wanted in his own country.

October 14, 2011 at 10:03 am |
    • hippypoet

well there capt. your thoughts are unwelcome here in the U.S. to get the fuk out! and take you f@ggy shield with you. your movie sucks!

MAY THE ALMIGHY SUN SHINE UPON YOU AS YOU LEAVE THIS COUNTRY!

October 14, 2011 at 10:13 am |

captain america

Doc is more American than you sir.

America is an ideal, a yearning for a better world, and Doc embodies those values.

October 14, 2011 at 10:14 am |
    • captain america

Well then why don't you two morons go serve docs country, because you sure aren't any help here.

October 14, 2011 at 10:24 am |
    • tallulah13

As this article is about Americans praying for their President, any comments about the leaders of other nations are moot. Unless of course, you just want to insult people without a real point.

October 14, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • captain america

Right you are tallulah , or unless you want to butt into another countries business where you are neither needed or wanted.

October 14, 2011 at 10:39 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@captain america

During the first Gulf War, I was the only Canadian living at the Headquarters for the United Stated European Command.
      I got to meet American soldiers from all across your country, many of whom were wonderful people.
      One of the men I knew back then died in the 9/11 Pentagon attack.

Through the years, what has most stuck with me from that experience was the pervasiveness of religion and how it seemed to colour every decision and how God was invoked at every turn.
      Did you know that Priscilla Presley's brother was in teh Air Force?
      I knew his family well. They were devout baptists. Their eldest son suffered from a degenerative eye disease and he became a little more blind with each passing day. His family told him if he prayed hard enough, God would cure him.
      That poor kid wondered every day what he was doing wrong to make God forsake him.
      It is because of him that I will forever be concerned with religion's influence in America, whether I pledge allegiance to your flag or not.

October 14, 2011 at 10:51 am |
    • captain america

Yeah well try being concerned for your own nation and leave us to ours.We'll do just fine without you.

October 14, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@captain america
      Sorry, but our countries are inextricably linked.
      You remind me of the "Auslanders Raus!" protesters in Germany.

October 14, 2011 at 11:16 am |
    • captain america

If we had wanted your country we would have kept it in 1812.You don't live here ,you can't vote here and if we are so close that we "need" your opinion,why is there a border?.Bottom line you're a buttinski

October 14, 2011 at 11:21 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@captain america
      Read your history, son.
      We burned the White House to the ground in the War of 1812.
      The decisions your leaders make directly impact us, your closest ally.
      For example, while we refused to go along with your pre-emptive war in Iraq, we did hold the front lines for you in Afghanistan.
      My country has lost 157 soldiers fighting your War on Terror.

October 14, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

And if the American Empire really wanted to remain insular, you would shut down you military presence in Germany, Afghanistan, Greece, Ja.pan, South Korea, Cuba, Spain, Bulgaria, Israel, Iraq, Kuwait, Kosovo, Bahrain, Brazil, Guam, Italy, Greenland, Qatar, Singapore, Netherlands, Portugal, Turkey, etc ad nauseum.

October 14, 2011 at 11:51 am |
    • captain america

October 14, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • HellBent

"None of what you have posted explains why you feel that your opinion is relevant in my country.You are sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong.You want to be an American, immigrate,otherwise try keeping your"wisdom" where it belongs ,in your own country."

Not sure why your opinion of why others' opinions are irrelevant should be relevant. If you don't care for others' opinions, then just skip the post or don't respond. Simple, really.

October 14, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@captain america
      When last I checked, the internet wasn't an American only medium.
      Why don't you send a letter to the CNN webmasters and ask them to block postings from foreigners.

October 14, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • captain america

Do you feel compelled to butt into Russian news networks too?And when you check internet you'll find it wasn't invented by a canadian.Take your opinion into the far north, eh where it might have some relevance,cause it don't cut no ice when it crosses my border.

October 14, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@captain america
      Oh – I didn't realize that I was posting on The American News Network and not The Cable News Network.

If technological innovations are to become proprietary to the countries in which they were invented, we'll take back the walkie talkie, the telephone (invented by a Scotsman in Brantford, Ontario), radio telephony, the electric wheelchair, prosthetic limbs, gas masks, sonar, insulin, the electron microscope, plexiglass, the garbage bag, cadiac pacemakers, kerosene, the electric oven, and the Wonderbra.

October 14, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
    • captain america

When you remove the USA copyright infringements and outright rip offs you can keep the rest and welcome to them.Even in your credits you included another country.Is it impossible for canadians to mind their own business or is it just you that has the failing?One thing for sure it isn't the canadian news network.

October 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@captain america
      Most Canadians are very polite.
      Vociferous ones like me tend to be the exception, not the rule.

Canadians would feel bad if we took back our insulin and pacemakers.
      We couldn't in good conscience condemn 77,500,000 obese Americans to death.

Are all Americans pompous, ignorant windbags – or is that just you?
      It's folk like you that perpetuate the international sterotype of the loud-mouthed, arrogant American.
      It's why so many of you wear Canadian flags when you go overseas on vacation.

October 14, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  20. Reality

A prayer for the Republicans and all other Christians:

The Apostles' Creed 2011: (updated by yours truly and based on the studies of historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven??

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A descent into Hell, a bodily resurrection
    and ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen

October 14, 2011 at 9:12 am |
    • Anglican

Let him have his less than original thoughts.

October 14, 2011 at 9:55 am |
    • tallulah13

I prefer to hit abuse on those who seek to silence others. If his comments offend you, don't read them.

October 14, 2011 at 10:00 am |
    • Holden Caufield

What is wrong with wiping out the f- you signs before Phoebe or tallulah can see them?

October 14, 2011 at 10:07 am |
    • warmesTghosT

You do realize, ......., that most of us hit the abuse button on your posts, right?

October 14, 2011 at 10:38 am |
    • TruthPrevails

"Anglican
      Let him have his less than original thoughts."

Pot calling the kettle black there? His thoughts are at least up to date and not based on 2000 year old stories.

October 14, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • HeavenSent

Too funny and too easy. Atheists will believe anything BUT His truth.

Amen.

October 14, 2011 at 11:25 am |
    • Hasa Diga Eebowai

Haha, atheists believe nothing without out objective evidence.

October 14, 2011 at 12:07 pm |