home
RSS
My Faith: Who does God listen to?
October 15th, 2011

My Faith: Who does God listen to?

Editor's note: Missionary and conference speaker Jason Frenn is the author of “The Seven Prayers God Always Answers.”

By Jason Frenn, Special to CNN

(CNN) - I was 8 when I first walked into the huge church in Woodland Hills, California. Cautiously moving down the center aisle with my mouth half-open, I gazed at the candles, elaborate statues and stained-glass images and silently asked: “Would God listen if I prayed?”

At the time, I didn’t know much about spiritual things, and unfortunately, I didn’t have anyone in my life who was in a position to enlighten me. Deep down inside, I wondered if God truly cared when I talked to him.

That basic question led me to a simple yet all-important discovery. It’s not how important or pious we are, or even how perfect our beliefs may be. God listens to all of us when we pray. What matters most to him is the sincerity of our heart, and that is precisely what generates a response.

But as I Christian I wonder, "What about people from other religions and walks of life? Does God listen when they pray?"

At this time in our nation’s history, we’ve become polarized over religious issues, but God hasn’t.

He isn’t confined by our opinions or theological positions. Instead, his ways transcend culture and theology. Even our lack of faith and moral shortcomings don’t prevent him from listening to our prayers.

If they did, many great people in history, including King David, an adulterer, and Moses, a murderer, never would have attained an audience with the creator. Regardless of one’s religion, culture or level of morality, God offers all of us something wonderful that might seem surprising to many.

If you’re a Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or even an atheist, you don’t need the faith to move mountains or even be a saint to get God’s ear.

Throughout the Bible, there is only one prerequisite to God listening to our petitions. If your heart is sincere when you pray, God will listen and offer an answer to your prayers. This is true for everyone, everywhere, every time.

In Matthew 7:7, Christ spoke to a small crowd and made this promise about prayer. “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” God listens to every genuine prayer directed to him. It may not be the answer you’re looking for; nonetheless, you can count on a response to your petition.

A few months ago, I received an e-mail from a man in Africa. He mentioned that he was facing a difficult challenge in his personal life and needed to overcome some significant barriers.

He was scanning channels and came across a television program showing me speaking at a large church. He watched as I said, “God asks you the question, ‘What do you want me to do for you?' ” Suddenly, he paused. What he wrote next in his e-mail struck me. “I am not a Christian,” he said. “I am a Muslim.”

He said, “You encouraged me to pray. So I did, because I am presently going through a difficult challenge in my life that I desperately need to overcome. I realize that I am not alone and that I should pray and ask God Almighty for help. God is answering my prayers.”

He ended his letter by stating, “Prayer and more prayer is what I'll be doing to overcome this barrier!”

I want to leave you with this final thought. If you find yourself dealing with family issues, financial challenges, personal health problems or any other area where you need help, there are prayers God always says yes to regardless of your background or personal faith. You will never know what incredible breakthrough awaits you until you start praying.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Jason Frenn.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

1. herbert juarez

tom tom is a hypocrite.tom tom is the first to be critical of others on spelling, grammar and typos, and sees nothing wrong with name calling and petty insults.Yet when tom tom errs by posting an entire message to the wrong person and even types out the wrong name,then offers a correction, we are supposed to give a pass?BS! in my book that is a first class hypocrite.tom tom is a proven hypocrite.God bless

October 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Who says you are to "give it a pass", herbie? I don't care if you "pass" it or not. In fact, it tickles me that it irks you so badly that you've had to post about it repeatedly. Maybe I'll make some more mistakes, post more edits, and add some misspellings and typos to my posts, followed by corrections, just to gripe your azz.

It's easy and fun. Anyone can play! It's the newest game! Everyone will want to participate in "How to Irritate Herbie's Ballz"!

October 15, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
    • herbert juarez

Not upset in the least just glad everyone can see you as the hypocrite you are,it is always good to see a small petty tyrant exposed for what they are,especially when they do it to themselves.God bless

October 15, 2011 at 7:35 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Herbie, the more you screw around with the trivial and continue to ignore the significant questions you don't even dare to try to answer, the more obvious your true character (mindless hate-filled idiot, unable to answer anything not in The Babble) shines through. If I was god or jesus, I would be so embarrassed by you that I would retire. Believers or not, I suggest you go on a lengthy Christian retreat to get in touch with your cult.

October 15, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

herbie never gets to screw around with anything other than the family dog...

October 15, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  2. martinipaul

I am a Christian that has huge problems with 'christianity'. From reading the posts on Belief Blog, I have reached the conclusion that ethical atheists have a better chance of salvation than Mr. Frenn and friends. Did not Jesus bless the meek, the peacemakers, those who thirst for righteousness? Were there qualifications? Mr. Frenn is at best a pagan, at worst, a cynical con man. Either way, this sort of junk belongs in the garbage.

October 15, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • herbert juarez

There is no chance that you are now or ever have been a Christian.It is likely that if you continued your"christian "experience to judgement you would be cast out as one of the false believers, that say Lord ,Lord didn't we do all these great things for you?and Jesus will say begone I never knew you.Seek the true Jesus now while you still have time.If you buy into the crap the so called atheists spew no these blogs you are all the more to be pitied.God bless

October 15, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Herbie, I'm sure you don't consider me to be a christian but my mother would disagree with you. Who should I believe – you, a hate filled deluded idiot, or the person that had a direct hand in indoctrinating me? And aren't you being judgemental – a behaviour frowned upon by your cult?

October 15, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • sidebar

herbert juarez will post from time to time as he sees fit.Herbert will never reply to hot air as herbert has found hot air to be beneath contempt and as always herbert is correct.

October 15, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • J.W

Why do we insult the intelligence or in this case question the faith of someone who disagree with us a little bit. Why can't we ever just talk about the article.

October 15, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • herbert juarez

Jw check page 1

October 15, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • Celery Stalks At Midnight

@herbert juarez,

You have ZERO credibility, as evidenced by your continual puerile behavior.

October 15, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Celery Stalks, love your moniker.

Yeah, herbie posts like a 14-year-old.

October 15, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
  3. This is misleading

This article is rather misleading. Prayer doesn't work like that. And I'm sorry, but Frenn, do you personally know that God is listening to every single prayer? You don't. These kinds of articles are hazardous because they lead easily manipulated people to believe that all their problems will be solved by prayer. You may say, "well that's not what I was saying" but face it, people take things at face value, and too often literally. Your article is open to misinterpretation, for sure.
    Isn't one of the qualities of a good missionary (or any servant of God really), to show humility? This article is a bit showy on your part. It's self advertising at its finest. Don't be a show off. So the guy was inspired to pray by you, great. But you need to quit boasting and being prideful, because it's a nasty quality among the religious.

October 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • allfaith

Are you sure that you're important enough to judge the author? Has someone quoted the rules to you and made you believe that you're not free to feel whatever you feel?

October 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  4. God Doesn't Compute

God listen? Too funny. Only if god is write-only memory. Data gets sent in, but nothing ever comes out.

Seriously, prayer has never been proven to have been answered by a divine enti-ty, ever. There probably isn't a god. Get over it, stop wasting time on useless prayers, and live a good, full life.

October 15, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  5. Central Srutinizer

I don't use the word "hate" very often; in fact I won't even use it here. I am a lover not a fighter. BUT I "dislike" people like Jason Frenn very much. Why? They are missionaries, among the worst sort of people on Earth. I don't care what anyone believes, never have, and never will. If you engage me in argument about it I will tell you what I think, but I would NEVER try to convert you to my way of thinking. Preying on the gullible, if there were such a thing as sin, would be number one on Moses' first table. In conclusion, Jason Frenn can su-ck it.

October 15, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  6. God Doesn't Compute

Seriously, prayer has ever been proven to have been answered by a divine enti-ty, ever. There probably isn't a god. Get over it, stop wasting time on useless prayers, and live a good, full life.

October 15, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • God Doesn't Compute

*prayer has never been proven...*

October 15, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  7. martinipaul

Christians should be careful about prayer. If we publicly claim that, through our prayers, God intercedes in human affairs we need to prove that is indeed the case. Atheists are right to question our claims. It's pretty obvious that God does not answer any and all 'sincere' prayers, otherwise, the entire world population would spend more time on their knees and I wouldn't have to donate to charity.

October 15, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • evan

sounds like a believer is starting to become a non-believer. Great stuff.

October 15, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Madtown

It's always ok to question the claims of the Bible, and christian leaders. If you believe you're a child of God, then you'd have to believe that God created you with a mind that is able to think critically, and evaluate logically. Therefore, to NOT use your mind to question everything, I'd say is not using the tools God gave you.

October 15, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
  8. allfaith

There is no point in talking of things that we're not ready to hear. All of us at some time in our life believe that we need to defend our actions. There is a natural guilt that alerts us to the fact that we're about to do something that we know in our hearts is a violation of natural law.
    There are so many things that make no sense that have been handed down to us through our society's culture. Sometimes it's hard to go up against what the majority says is right even when we know it leads nowhere. Praying to God is the equivalent of knowing that if we act out of love we can do no wrong. The question becomes 'what are my beliefs and how are they reflected in my creations? Is this who I am?'

October 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • Central Srutinizer

Who is this is?
      ~Cheech Marin

October 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
  9. AGuest9

Talking to oneself is a sign of insanity.

October 15, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Whom do you think is talking to himself?

October 15, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • AGuest9

Someone praying.

October 15, 2011 at 1:18 pm |

Ah. Thanks.

October 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • allfaith

Have you ever day-dreamed? Do you do anything to stop your mind? Isn't that what prayer is; a stopping of the mind to accept the peace and love that the wholeness of the spirit offers? Is that insane?

October 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • Central Srutinizer

@allfaith
      No, you already answered your own question. That is called "day-dreaming". Please try to focus.

October 15, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Central Srutinizer, you're spewing off like Tommie, Tom.

Amen.

October 15, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • Central Srutinizer

@HS
      Thank you for the compliment. And why don't you ever answer my questions?

October 15, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hmm. I must have left a mark with my previous comments to HS. She's fuming again.

October 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I think it's interesting that HS is referring to me as "Tommie Tom". The other poster who does that posts as Richard Kaiser.

Coincidence?

October 15, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Jiminy Cricket

allfaith,

When you wish upon a star
      Makes no difference who you are
      Anything your heart desires
      Will come to you

If your heart is in your dream
      No request is too extreme
      When you wish upon a star
      As dreamers do

October 15, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  10. Rainer Braendlein

JohnR

Arius had good reasons to believe as he did, including the verse in which Jesus said that even he didn't know when the end times would be, but only the father would know, which makes zero sense from the typical trinitarian point of view. And for holding this sincere belief backed by biblical quotations, he deserves to burn in hell forever? That's an appalling point of view, Rainer, and it's this sort of sadism that makes Christians so unworthy of anyone's trust.

October 15, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    Rainer Braendlein

@JohnR

Long time no see! I guess, you are the real JohnR, because you yet asked this question.

You must understand the mystical person of Jesus. Jesus had two natures: The divine one and the human one. He had even two wills: The divine will and the human will, whereby his human will was subordinate to the divine will every moment.

As the disciples asked him for a certain point of time, he told them that he didn't know it. At this moment Jesus Christ limited himself to his humankind. As a man he could not answer their question. Of course, the eternal Christ in him knew the answer, because He is a person of the Trinity. But obviously the eternal Christ did not want to answer the question of the disciples, thus the man Jesus said, he would not know the answer. Isn't God likeable?

October 15, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |

October 15, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • Kebos

What Jesus was, if he even existed, is something you and others are making up as you go along. When painted into a corner, you bust through the wall only to make more corners. Amusing, if not pathetic.

October 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • JohnR

IOW, I have to "understand" that one side of this stale old theological debate is right. Says who?

I suspect that there was indeed a historical Jesus. But I am totally convinced that he wasn't in any sense divine. But I would also never say that I hope those who think he was will burn forever.

October 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  11. Kebos

Regarding this comment....."Even our lack of faith and moral shortcomings don’t prevent him from listening to our prayers."

The author attempts to link faith with morality. Undoubtedly in support of the more faith, the greater the morality. I think the behaviour of Muslim fanatics, Jewish fanatics, and Catholic priests can quickly dispense of that ideal.

Morality has nothing to do with faith. If a person is moral because of the threat of a god's retribution, then this person had no morals to begin with and likely never will.

There is no god, there is no-one answering prayers. Just like there is no Santa Claus answering the mails from kids before Christmas. Get over it. And get rid of the crutch!

October 15, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Always posting your mizzy perceptions about Jesus' spiritual teachings you know nothing about.

I pray that you folks come into the light and leave that miserable mindset you've latched onto behind.

Amen.

October 15, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why would you pray for that, HS? Then you'd have no one to whom you could feel superior. You'd have no one at whom you could wag your scolding tongue.

October 15, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • Kebos

I known enough having been a practicing christian during my youth in united, bethel baptist, jehovah witness and catholicism to know that the pursuit of religion is foolish. I ejoy life so much more not having to have the yoke of religion around my neck. Hardly a miserable mindset. Instead, freedom, and clearness of thought and purpose.

October 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • Central Srutinizer

@heavensent
      For the fifth time. Why do you sign all of your posts with "amen"? Are they all prayers? I still don't get it.

October 15, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • Central Srutinizer

@tom tom
      I can't think of ANY religion that would want a miserable, grouchy blatantly UN-Christian like person to be part of their ranks. With that in mind, let the Christians have her/him/it. We certainly wouldn't want it coming this way! And yes the stalker was out last night, but was a little disappointing. Not much to say and becoming more transparent all the time.

October 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Richard Kaiser

Kebos,, wrote, "Prayer is a misguided notion that produces only one outcome; false-hope. For those who are of weak-mind or bent on believing in a boogey-man in the sky, far enough. If a crutch is needed to get through life then use that crutch. But know that it is merely a crutch. Life is so much better experienced without it."

Oh so thoughtfulness who calls one's self, Kebos, why do you feel so case-hardened in clutching to the name-calling commentaries? You must be a well-to-do individual to swatheringly gestate, "Life is so much better experienced without it". There are many people in this world Kebos, and many of them only have 'Faith and Hope' to cling to. Why should you or I belittle such people who have little more than nothing? Screw you Kebos and anyone who puts their individualism(s) above others who are less fortunate! Damn you for thinking such bigotries!

October 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Dickie sez: "You must be a well-to-do individual to swatheringly gestate".

I dare you to explain how one swatheringly gestates, and what it has to do with one's income level.

October 15, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • Richard Kaiser

Tomathina the thumbler,

Copy the whole F-*king sentence ya blithering idiot!

Tommie Tom Tomathina is a name-calling bum,
      went tp Piggly Wiggly away she did make run.
      Once there Tomathina Tommie did ramble some,
      But in the end all she wanted was to blow gum.

Chew Tommie Tom Tom upon your childish gum.
      Quit complaining to be ever such a girlie dumb dumb.
      Piggly Wiggly will always be there don’t ya just know?
      Tommie Tom Tomathina just go and try never to blow!

I did know of a girl who wanted to be a boy,
      She wanted so much to be not a guy toy.
      She complained and did moan,
      Always she did ever to groan.
      No more she said,
      But the bone she unknowingly be-wed.

October 15, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Thomasina, I never fire the first shot. I only respond to atheists ridiculous miseries on this blog.

Amen.

October 15, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The "blithering idiot" here is you, Dickie. There is no such word as "swatheringly". If you can't explain what the phrase "swatheringly gestate" means, then just admit it. Posting more bad poetry does nothing but reinforce my impression of you as a completely crazy nut.

October 15, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • allfaith

The teachings of philosophers and prophets have nothing to do with organized religion. True religion is about the quest of the individual to accept his or her part in creation, or All That Is, or as some people call it; God. It's about learning to focus and understand that truth is what does not require proof or defense.
      Emotionalism and righteousness may evolve from truth, but they are not the truth itself. Truth is dynamic and ever changing. Nothing is more important than anything else. It's certain that Jesus had no expectation of obeyance when he shared his wisdom with the masses. Why should we have assumptions and expectations about how his life and words should be taken? Take what you can. There's no debt to pay for your awareness. Social obligations have no place in an individual's acceptance of himself.

October 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

HS, you live to post your invective. You must have a very sad, empty life.

October 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • Richard Kaiser

Thumbalina Tommie girlie,,,,

The word "swath" I used as a 'conjunctively layered' phonon of lettered superlative haughtiness, which goes beyond the normalcies of urinating people like Tommie Thumbalina.

October 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No, Dickie, what you did was make up a word.

No genius in that. Five-year-olds do it all the time.

October 15, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • PZ

@Central

Just imagine how annoying it is getting texts from HS, as it's undoubtedly the signature block there as well. That stupid "amen" at the bottom along wtih all the "O" faces... :-O

October 17, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  12. SimpleReally

What did Jesus say about prayer

Luke 11:1-4 http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Luke+11%3A1-4&version1=9

Notice Jesus says "When ye pray, say,"

Matthew 6:1-13 http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Matthew+6%3A1-13&version1=9

Notice Jesus says Matthew 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

BUT JESUS allegedly also said John 14:13-14 "And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it."

Why don't we all pray privately in our closets, the Lord's prayer, with the thought that in Jesus' name all people with amputated limbs be cured and see if what was said is true.

Do you have the faith of a mustard seed to believe John 14:13-14?

These contain Jesus' precise teachings on prayer.

BUT Jesus also allegedly said

October 15, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Reality, why the new handle?

Amen.

October 15, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • Reality

Not the original Reality.

October 15, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  13. Richard Kaiser

What can one say about their own idealized beliefs? Are one’s beliefs but a subset of socialized commentaries one heard and then mimics? Are we just “parroting” that which we have heard? Where is the value toward mimicking other’s beliefs? Where lays one’s own believable truths? Who is it that one daringly mimics? A friend? A brother? A sister? A mother or father? The next door neighbor? What one believes or disbelieves wraps around one’s social environment, be it negatively or positively, for all that most people do is play the parrot: always mimicking and/or mocking that which one hears or reads.

October 15, 2011 at 11:58 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Who are you 'daringly mimicking', Dickie?

October 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
    • Richard Kaiser

It is sacrilegious to think away or apart from the normalcies of mocking mimickery, yet, common place normality is in the abundancy of mimicry and/or mockery nowadays. The fool does stammer away their mocking ways while the jester forsakes many to laugh at their abundant witticisms of mimicry. The commonalities of the propagandist-socialist bewails governed subdiffuses, while always in cunning yet mocked mimickery, the reprobates are.

October 15, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • Richard Kaiser

Belief itself is no longer or seldom of devoted individualisms for the moralizing majorities burns apart the singularities of self-endorsed faiths and/or beliefs. The self is fastly becoming the socialist’s puppet-like parrot or wagging dog ever fetching the newspaper. Will there in today’s time frame be a oneness for faith-based beliefs to conjure their souls around in mockery’s fashioning? Or are theologically based beliefs, the dawns’: of unending Christianic family organized separatisms?

October 15, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Dickie, your writing is nothing but nonsense.

October 15, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • Blithering Idiot

Dickie sez: "The commonalities of the propagandist-socialist bewails governed subdiffuses, while always in cunning yet mocked mimickery, the reprobates are."

What is "mimickery"? I cannot find it in any dictionary. Nor can I find any information about "governed subdiffuses" or why the "propagandist-socialist bewails" it/them.

Please clarify. Thanks, awfully.

October 15, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Pay no attention to mr. kaiser.
      While he may be considered a great author of Vogon poetry, here on earth he is full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

"Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
      Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
      Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

October 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  14. Rainer Braendlein

From the above article:

Unquote.

It is a crime to encourage Muslims to pray to God. The first thing, which a Muslim should do, is to convert to Christianity. That would really matter and would be urgent.

Muslims have no peace with the true God, who has made heaven and earth. The sins of the Muslims are not forgiven, because they don't believe in Jesus Christ (in the eyes of the Muslims Jesus was a mere man, yet they acknowledge him as a prophet, but lower than Muhammad). Every real Christian believes that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God. Jesus is God and man at the same time. Jesus is the incarnated Son of God. Christians ascribe a Partner to "Allah". "Allah" are three!
    Jesus indeed died on the cross for us and not a person, which resembled him(Muslim believe a lookalike of Jesus had died on the cross).

Conclusion: Mr. Frenn should not encourage the Muslims to pray, but to convert to Christianity immediately. The Islam is a unholy crap, which promotes hate, murder, fanaticism, terrorism, aggressive war, etc.. Delibaretely or not Muslims are enemies of the true God and the Christian Church.

October 15, 2011 at 11:51 am |
    • SimpleReally

And on whose authority do you make these judgements?

Do not judge others Matthew 7:1-6: http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Matthew+7%3A1-6&version1=9

Show me a Christian who follows Jesus' teachings in all things and I'll be seeing a very rare Christian!

October 15, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Blame it on all the false preachers of past and present insisting there is 3 major religions in the world. All politics? Or, no backbone?

Amen.

October 15, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • Madtown

------–
      What stunning and laughable arrogance! A "crime"? According to which legal jurisdiction? Can you provide a link to a legal statute to back this up? There's no need to encourage a Muslim to pray to God, they already likely do pray to God. They pray to God as they understand him to be, just as you pray to God as you understand him to be. Neither is right, neither is wrong. Different flavors of religion are like different paths up a mountain. In the end, you get to the same place, but take different routes there.

October 15, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  15. BoldGeorge

I feel very sorry for Mr. Jason Frenn's biblical beliefs and doctrine, especially on prayer. Contrary to what Mr. Frenn wrote, the bible is loaded with verses and notions that God DOES NOT LISTEN to the prayers of people who do not fear Him, much less to people not doing His will. Like most contributors to this Belief Blog, verses in the bible are taken out of context and made to suit people's lifestyles and personal beliefs.

John 9:31 says : "We know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is God-fearing and does His will, He hears him."

Philippians 4:6,7: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds IN JESUS CHRIST."

– IN JESUS CHRIST – These last 3 words are key for God to listen and answer our prayers. Our hearts and our minds will be guarded IN CHRIST. In other words, our faith, our hopes and our beliefs have to be all CHRIST-centered. It's obvious that our prayers have to be prayed geared towards Christ. This is clear cut. There's no mystery to how to get prayers answered.

Mr. Frenn wrote: "Even our lack of faith and moral shortcomings don’t prevent him from listening to our prayers."
    This may be so, but our lack of faith in all probability won't get our prayers answered, just maybe listened to. Although I doubt that because according to the bible, "There they cry out, but He does not answer, Because of the pride of evil men. Surely God will not listen to empty talk, Nor will the Almighty regard it."....JOB 35:12-13

Mr. Frenn wrote: "many great people in history, including King David, an adulterer, and Moses, a murderer, never would have attained an audience with the creator."
    King David REPENTED and cried out to God for mercy and to forgive his sins. That's what Psalms 6 is all about. And God then, and only then did He listen to his prayers of repentance. Even with the people of Israel, throughout the entire old testament, whenever they sinned against God with unbelief, unfaithfulness and idolatry, God turned away from them. And when Israel repented and turned back to obedience to the will of God, only then God heard their prayers and brought them to the place of repentance and mercy.

Yes, God listens to prayer, but according to His Word, He chooses not to listen to an unrepentant sinner. This article, like many other CNN articles related to Christianity, God ,etc...focuses mainly (99.999%) on God's love and forgiveness, but almost always fails (also 99.999%) to remind anyone of God's other just-as-important attributes like holiness, His righteousness, His justice and His unwavering truthfulness.

Having said all this (written rather), God is definitely loving, compassionate, sovereign and all-knowing...and He can answer the prayer of the unjust if it is His will to do so. Matthew 5:45 ...for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

October 15, 2011 at 11:36 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"GOD DOES NOT LISTEN..." "God definitely is..."

You cannot state as fact a single thing about god. You can state your beliefs, but that is all, Bold.

October 15, 2011 at 11:43 am |
    • No, I'm the best.

And what about beings on other planets who know nothing about your "Christ" ? What convoluted "one way" system does your little "system" employ to "get" the creator of 600 se'xtillion stars to listen to them ? LMAOROLF. You are SO sure you have it all nailed down. There are no gods, and there IS scientific proof that prayer does NOT work. Time to grow up. There ain't no Santy Claus.

October 15, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • herbert juarez

Actually,"Santy Claus" ,as you call him is based on a real person,so for somewhere in history there is a Santa Claus(Saint Nickolas)and it would also be nice if you could provide evidence of those folks from other planets.It would save NASA billions if you would present to everyone where they are.God bless

October 15, 2011 at 11:55 am |
    • Rainer Braendlein

@BoldGeorge

Which denomination do you belong to?

October 15, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Sure, herbie, I'll be happy to provide proof of beings on other planets-as soon as you provide proof your god exists.

October 15, 2011 at 11:59 am |
    • No, I'm the best.

herbie,
      Just wait....Do you have plans for your system when they find that inevitable evidence ? It's all going to crash in a heap. Then what do you do ? Say "oh, oops", just like they did when they found the Earth was NOT the center of the universe, or the Earth wasn't flat ?

October 15, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • BoldGeorge

Tom Tom:
      The very act of you even being on this forum giving us your insightful, though irreverent comments is 1 out of a billion proofs that God exists. The 'survival of the fittest' theory won't ever explain that. But, I recommend you keep on searching for answers; you'll eventually find them...if not now, then after you die, as that is when all truth will be revealed. But that's when it will be too late for some and eagerly awaited by a few others.

October 15, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • herbert juarez

In a galaxy far, far away,there is a being named Steve who goes by the name of Keith...God bless

October 15, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Gosh, herbie, did god put that stick up your bunghole?

October 15, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Bold, no it isn't. My existence isn't proof of a god at all.

October 15, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The more I read the posts of Christians like Bold, the less inclined I am to wish to emulate people like him. Always threats of "when you die, you'll find out".

If you're so eagerly awaiting the afterlife you believe exists, Bold, why stick around here with the people you so despise?

October 15, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • herbert juarez

BoldGeorge
      It may just be that tom tom is evolved and just hasn't evolved very well at all.God bless

October 15, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I must have really injured herbie's ego.

October 15, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • BoldGeorge

This is my last reply comment to you TOM (because one thing I do 'despise' is going in circles):

Who says I despise anyone? If I were to agree with you or even yet, not respond to you at all and think, "Let this guy just burn in Hell, he deserves it."...like many so-called christians do so by failing to evangelize, then I would I agree with your 'despise' comment. To me, there is no greater love than helping people avoid a terrible outcome, especially when it comes to one's life, one's eternity. Like you, I was also an unbeliever and really disliked being told that a 'good book' was a manual on how to get to heaven. I started reading this GOOD BOOK and it all became clear to me. No, I did not receive a revelation nor a vision or dream, nor did an angel appear to me with a message nor did I hear voices in my head. It just all made sense to me, that God was reaching out to me, to us through His word. Before, I was living my life content, but in all honesty, hopeless. Now, I live my life full of HOPE, but concerned for others that do not know of Him. I am concerned for other people's fate just as someone was concerned for mine. By the way, there is nothing wrong with that. It has NOTHING to do with judging others, but it is a true and sincere concern of mine for people's eternal fate...even for my own family.

What's funny (well, not that funny) is that this Good Book actually even says that most will not listen, read or adhere to it, but will mock it and not believe. And then I came to realize and I thought to myself, "This book is definitely special, I mean, the writing is just so amazing in its entirety. It has to be approached and read differently than any other book if I am to come to believe it.

You wrote: "The more I read the posts of Christians like Bold, the less inclined I am to wish to emulate people like him. "

~ 1 Corinthians 2:14 – But the worldly man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
      ~ 1 Corinthians 14:37 – If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord.

That is why I muster up some feelings (and some courage) to post my comments in here. I know most won't listen but mock. But it is still my christian duty to let everyone know that there is a Savior and Redeemer to this awful mess we call life. And it's not God's fault life is like this, like many so coldly put it. It is our own choosing. Hey, how about this...I choose to follow Christ, I choose to live according to His will, though I know I fall short (especially when I don't depend on Him), and let me tell you (and I'm sure you can see it in here)...it's not easy, but I know it is well worth it. Try it!

October 15, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I DID "try it". I was a faithful worshipper for years. I no longer have the slightest interest in trying to suspend rational thought in order to worship a being that self-proclaimed Christians like you describe. I saw more hypocrites in church than anywhere else. Just like you, they were proclaiming God's love for everyone, just as long as the "everyone" believed EXACTLY as they did.

I have no time for your beliefs when they all hinge on the threat of hell.

October 15, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
    • BoldGeorge

I know I said my above comment would be the last but can't help but to reply to your last comment. All I can say is that I understand you WHOLEHEARTEDLY. And to anyone who decides to go to church and be called a christian and want to follow Christ biblically, not humanly...our own efforts and strength won't get us there to the point that we would have missed the mark by miles. And if we trust in man as sole authority in Scriptures instead of having our own discernment and be led by the Holy Spirit, you and I will definitely fall short and even stop believing in Christians, church and maybe Christ altogether...something that has happened to you, brother.

Look at what the Bible says in Jeremiah 17:5 – Thus says the LORD, “ Cursed is the man who trusts in mankind And makes flesh his strength, And whose heart turns away from the LORD."

And like anything in life (and beyond), it takes perseverance to get you there. Please look at what these verses tell us:

~ 1 Timothy 4:16 – Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching; persevere in these things, for as you do this you will ensure salvation both for yourself and for those who hear you.
      ~ Matthew 24:13 – But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.
      ~ James 1:12 – Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.

These verses explain why I try to persevere in this forum and elsewhere. I gain nothing being here or even preaching God and Christ, other than being ridiculed and mocked (and maybe punched). But to me, it's a matter of life and eternal death and a mock here and a punch there is much much much less painful than knowing someone left this earth without Christ.

October 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

In making such claims and excluding all who do not believe in precisely what you do, you show yourself to be of the same cut of cloth as Heaven Sent and all the rest.

Your belief is just that: belief. That others believe otherwise does not make them wrong, misguided, or dam*ed for any "eternity".

October 15, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • JohnR

BoldGeorge writes: "That is why I muster up some feelings (and some courage) to post my comments in here."

Our hero ...

Maybe if you'd learn to respect life and the natural world that gave you life, you wouldn't feel the need for a "redeemer" to "save" you from this "mess called life".

October 15, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • BoldGeorge

You wrote: "BG, the more you claim to "know" what a god is, does, thinks, or wants, the less inclined I am to give your posts any consideration at all. "

My response: I don't claim anything. The bible does. All I am is a believer and a relayer of God's message. That's all. I'm no better than anyone, I know that.

You wrote: "Your belief is just that: belief. "

My response: Well, that's what the Word of God requires me to do, believe...nothing more, nothing less. [John 3:36 – Believe and obey are in the same context/meaning]. It doesn't require me to believe in myself or sacrifice myself or kill someone to prove myself. Just to believe in Jesus Christ as my savior.

You wrote: "When people like you stop insisting that you "know" all about god because you read the bible, I might have a care for your thoughts. But when you do not even acknowledge that you might just not have all the answers and that your religious beliefs, while they work for you, are not the only path to enlightenment or hope, I have no interest in what you say."

My response: Woah! Woah! Woah! Who said I "know" all about God? Why are you getting the impression I'm insisting in knowing all about Him? I have a looooooong way to go. All I know is of my salvation because Jesus Christ promises that those who believe Him shall have everlasting life. Ok, I just acknowledged that I don't have all the answers. So, can you consider my thoughts? And what you said about my 'religious beliefs working for me'...I don't think it's a matter of working for me. Heck, it sure didn't work for Jesus Himself. It got him mocked, slapped, punched, scourged, speared, nailed and killed. So, it's not a matter of working for me or anyone who chooses to believe. It's a matter of love. And as we all know, love is not always a bed of roses.

By the way, what other hope does anyone or anything else give besides the Word of God? There is no other Hope to be found.

October 15, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The fact that you think that without the bible there is "no hope to be found" is precisely what I'm talking about. It gives YOU hope. That's fine. Others find hope in other ways. You think yours is the only way because you believe the bible. I do not. I simply cannot. It makes no sense to me and never has.

Continue preaching all you wish. It will do you no harm. It will do me no good.

October 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

"BoldGeorge
      Tom Tom:
      The very act of you even being on this forum giving us your insightful, though irreverent comments is 1 out of a billion proofs that God exists. "

Sorry but that's not proof of god unless you're calling Bill Gates or Steve Jobs god. Your god has nothing to do with the fact that the internet exists or that computers exist but then again science has well proven that your god is not proof of anyone's existence-we call it evolution.

October 15, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • Madtown

----
      BG, you said you're done responding, maybe you won't see this. I'm just always curious when I hear something like your statement above, about how you feel about the fact the humans wrote, edited, and selected the works that comprise the Bible? You give the Bible ultimate authority, and are clearly a believer that it's the word of God. I'm just interested in how you can consider it the ultimate word of God, when again, it was written and edited by man?

October 15, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Bernie, you are a hypocrite! You demand proof of folks on other planets but will not provide proof of your god. It must be very difficult for you know that there is a non-zero probability that your god does not exist and to be unable to publicly admit that.

October 15, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  16. Anglican

God listens to all.

October 15, 2011 at 11:29 am |
    • TruthPrevails

proof please

October 15, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • HotAirAce

If your god actually listens to herbie, he would silence him so that more might join the christian cult, rather than allowing herbie to be such a poor example of a christian.

October 15, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

If there were a god, people like herbie wouldn't exist.

October 15, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  17. JohnR

Another load of unsubstantiated assertions. This is shameless.

October 15, 2011 at 11:26 am |
  18. Rainer Braendlein

From the above article:I

n Matthew 7:7, Christ spoke to a small crowd and made this promise about prayer. “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” God listens to every genuine prayer directed to him. It may not be the answer you’re looking for; nonetheless, you can count on a response to your peti-tion.

Unquote.

Gospel of Luke 11: 5-13 (Luke interprets Matthew):

And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves; 6 For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him? 7 And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee. 8 I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth. 9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

This is the Royal prayer request: "Please God, give me the Holy Spirit!" (I need the Spirit, because I am neither able to understand spiritual connections nor I am able to live according to God's demands by nature).

Sometimes the Bible interprets itself.

October 15, 2011 at 11:17 am |
  19. Chad

"Throughout the Bible, there is only one prerequisite to God listening to our pet tions. If your heart is sincere when you pray, God will listen and offer an answer to your prayers. This is true for everyone, everywhere, every time."

Absolutely true.

October 15, 2011 at 11:07 am |
    • Richard Kaiser

Which one is the true one? god or God or GOD? I ask this due my understandings of the King's English.

October 15, 2011 at 11:14 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"I ask this due my understandings of the King's English."

AHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHHAAAAAHAHAHHA.

Oh, brother. What a freakshow you are, Dick.

October 15, 2011 at 11:22 am |
    • Richard Kaiser

Tommie Tom Tomathina is a name-calling bum,
      went tp Piggly Wiggly away she did make run.
      Once there Tomathina Tommie did ramble some,
      But in the end all she wanted was to blow gum.

Chew Tommie Tom Tom upon your childish gum.
      Quit complaining to be ever such a girlie dumb dumb.
      Piggly Wiggly will always be there don’t ya just know?
      Tommie Tom Tomathina just go and try never to blow!

October 15, 2011 at 11:31 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Dickie, I really feel sad for you.

I laugh at your bombast, but inside I weep for your insanity.

October 15, 2011 at 11:34 am |
  20. Richard Kaiser

“There are enormously different cults and religious sects, and I think it’s not unreasonable, because I think God – if He’s as wonderful as we believe – is also very complex, and that different people have to see Him differently. You can’t expect a peasant and a philosopher to have the same picture of God. I think God is big enough to cover them all, even for science writers – they can have their picture of God.” (Schawlow 1998, Chapter I, Part 5).

ARTHUR SCHAWLOW – NOBEL LAUREATE IN PHYSICS

Nobel Prize: Arthur Schawlow (1921–1999) co-inventor of the laser, won the 1981 Nobel Prize in Physics for his contribution to the development of laser spectroscopy and for his revolutionary work in the spectroscopic analysis of the interaction of electromagnetic radiation with matter. Schawlow and Charles Townes hold the original patent for the laser; they are the founders of laser science.

Nationality: American

Education: Ph.D. in physics, University of Toronto, Canada, 1949

Occupation: Researcher at Columbia University and Bell Telephone Laboratories, NJ; Professor of Physics at Stanford University

copied from http://nobelists.net/

October 15, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • AGuest9

October 15, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

That would be the 64 million dollar question.

October 15, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
    • Richard Kaiser

AGuest9 wrote on Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 12:57 pm, stating, "I've worked with several Nobel Laureates, two I know personally. One believes in god. He and I agree to disagree. So, what is the point that you are trying to make?"

http://nobelists.net/ is a site that has many Nobel Scientists, Writers, Peace Laureates, and Founders of Modern Science just to mention as 'famous people' of profoundness all of whom believe in GOD and HIS Son, the Lord Christ Jesus. This is my point.

October 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So what? There are just as many crazies who believe in god. And just as many scholars who don't believe in god.

What point is there in quoting them, when they can only state what they believe but cannot prove?

October 15, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • Murgatroyd

@Richard Kaiser,

The brilliant genius scientist, Nikola Tesla, ended up with a passion for feeding the pigeons and thought that one of them was his wife. Only verified evidence from scientists may be taken as fact.

October 15, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • *frank*

Did u gaiz know Richard Kaiser won the 2011 Nobel for Experimental Linguistics? Pretty cool.

October 15, 2011 at 6:09 pm |