home
RSS
My Faith: Who does God listen to?
October 15th, 2011

My Faith: Who does God listen to?

Editor's note: Missionary and conference speaker Jason Frenn is the author of “The Seven Prayers God Always Answers.”

By Jason Frenn, Special to CNN

(CNN) - I was 8 when I first walked into the huge church in Woodland Hills, California. Cautiously moving down the center aisle with my mouth half-open, I gazed at the candles, elaborate statues and stained-glass images and silently asked: “Would God listen if I prayed?”

At the time, I didn’t know much about spiritual things, and unfortunately, I didn’t have anyone in my life who was in a position to enlighten me. Deep down inside, I wondered if God truly cared when I talked to him.

That basic question led me to a simple yet all-important discovery. It’s not how important or pious we are, or even how perfect our beliefs may be. God listens to all of us when we pray. What matters most to him is the sincerity of our heart, and that is precisely what generates a response.

But as I Christian I wonder, "What about people from other religions and walks of life? Does God listen when they pray?"

At this time in our nation’s history, we’ve become polarized over religious issues, but God hasn’t.

He isn’t confined by our opinions or theological positions. Instead, his ways transcend culture and theology. Even our lack of faith and moral shortcomings don’t prevent him from listening to our prayers.

If they did, many great people in history, including King David, an adulterer, and Moses, a murderer, never would have attained an audience with the creator. Regardless of one’s religion, culture or level of morality, God offers all of us something wonderful that might seem surprising to many.

If you’re a Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or even an atheist, you don’t need the faith to move mountains or even be a saint to get God’s ear.

Throughout the Bible, there is only one prerequisite to God listening to our petitions. If your heart is sincere when you pray, God will listen and offer an answer to your prayers. This is true for everyone, everywhere, every time.

In Matthew 7:7, Christ spoke to a small crowd and made this promise about prayer. “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” God listens to every genuine prayer directed to him. It may not be the answer you’re looking for; nonetheless, you can count on a response to your petition.

A few months ago, I received an e-mail from a man in Africa. He mentioned that he was facing a difficult challenge in his personal life and needed to overcome some significant barriers.

He was scanning channels and came across a television program showing me speaking at a large church. He watched as I said, “God asks you the question, ‘What do you want me to do for you?' ” Suddenly, he paused. What he wrote next in his e-mail struck me. “I am not a Christian,” he said. “I am a Muslim.”

He said, “You encouraged me to pray. So I did, because I am presently going through a difficult challenge in my life that I desperately need to overcome. I realize that I am not alone and that I should pray and ask God Almighty for help. God is answering my prayers.”

He ended his letter by stating, “Prayer and more prayer is what I'll be doing to overcome this barrier!”

I want to leave you with this final thought. If you find yourself dealing with family issues, financial challenges, personal health problems or any other area where you need help, there are prayers God always says yes to regardless of your background or personal faith. You will never know what incredible breakthrough awaits you until you start praying.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Jason Frenn.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

1. Richard Kaiser

GOD, a Being beyond reproach of common soothsayer normalities, will ever be the buttressing naysayers' revolving door of classical pandemonium. Faith is the substance yearned for while hope is the trellis faith climbs upon. Without the vineyards of faith, there would be no need for trellised hope. Blinded faith is lost hope and yet the allness of Love's kindness leaves many to scornfully deny God who does dwell within one's body as an inhabitant occupies a building.

1Cr 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, [ye are] God's building.

October 16, 2011 at 10:50 am |
    • Richard Kaiser

I flibberflumber words most feculanty
      Foppishly
      As if
      As if
      I am some greatulous poetnik
      And I
      Narcississisticimousnessly bumbleflail words
      As if
      realnostly
      I am a monkey at a keybored

October 16, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
  2. NO GOD

I really can't understand the believers.
    Believing in god is like believing your whole life in some person who always lies to you (And you know that you are being lied to). How many believers have had their prayers answered?

I have one question for the believers: Apart from when someone wrote a book in a mountain, or when god killed his own son to save the world (and he really saved it, haha), when / where / in what aspect of life do they see / feel the presence of this creature? Honestly, I want to become a believer, but I don't see what's there to believe in. The world is such a mess and so mean that you should be real dumb (as in stupid; sorry) to believe that there is some guy who knows where in the air, who is so fair and powerful and positive, that for so many thousands years cannot fix anything at all, not even his/her embassies on earth (churches, mosques, etc etc).

P.S. As for my question, the following answer is not accepted: We are being prepared for the next life

October 16, 2011 at 9:47 am |
  3. Debi Pea

I am so touched by these words. What an amazing world we would have if people could open their hearts to one another, and accept different beliefs (and appearances for that matter). Jason, your insights continue to inspire me. Funny how things happen in God's time. I am currently reading a book about schools being built in Pakistan by an American and his finding acceptance by another culture (for my college class). This was the perfect compliment to it. God loves all his children.

October 16, 2011 at 9:31 am |
  4. kimsland

What exactly did this blog writer think what an atheist would be saying to god?
    I don't believe in religion and thanks for the laugh?
    Seriously more of these blogs that are pathetic, I want your holly god to hear more things I say. Well I could go all day.
    God is stupid, the holly spirit is pathetic, heaven in reality would be hell.
    I live on Earth, not in some fairy airy head man made land.
    Why does religion even exist today? Now please burn down those money hungry churches, actually we could use them for mental asylums, since that's what they are.

October 16, 2011 at 7:16 am |
  5. kimsland

Hey the holly spirit jesus illusion.
    Sit down shutup and take note, an atheist is speaking now, no time for your tom foolery.
    Its been 2000 years and not one prayer has been answered, there has been no reported miracles ever, and we are all now living in high technology, not your old Middle Eastern place of birth and preaching ignorant dumb dumb land.

WE are not interested in your pathetic no hope religious points of view.
    There is no heaven, and I'm not about to praise a liar (son of god, what a joke) and a fool (religion is pathetic worldwide)
    You are DEAD, and there is NO holly spirit, since NOT one bit of proof of this for TWO Thousand plus years.
    YOU are a fake, and everyone who follows this fake is no only committing the worst mistake of their lives, but ALSO dieing for NOTHING.
    The holly spirit make believe ignorance stops here. GET OUT religion, and and next time prey on someone who is not weak. If you came to me over 2000 years ago, I would have laughed you all the way to your capital punishment. You make me sick.

Thanks for listening to me again, idiots. Now WAKE UP.

October 16, 2011 at 7:02 am |
    • sybaris

Bravo!

Religion is a disease of the mind. Let's stamp out religion in our lifetime.

October 16, 2011 at 9:37 am |
  6. Phil Stilwell

2,000 years, and theists have yet to willingly submit the claims of answered prayer to science. All the tools are there. Are there thousands of sincere christians praying for the continued health of each other? Then we will see longer lives among these christians...unless biblical promises of answered prayer are empty claims based on myth. What do we see?

The absence of evidence is, in this case, certalnly evidence of absence. Isn't it time we stop playing this silly game of faith and nurture reason?

October 16, 2011 at 4:26 am |
    • captain america

October 16, 2011 at 6:54 am |
    • sybaris

Hey Captain America, fire up your "true christian" prayer chain and pray for the return of the limb of a "true christian" amputee. Your bible book says that those who call upon their lord will have the powers of healing, right?

Try it

Bet my paycheck nothing will happen.

October 16, 2011 at 9:41 am |
    • captain america

I prayed that Americas colon would become unblocked and lo ...you posted !

October 16, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  7. Mirosal

Look, it is pretty well accepted that if you talk to "god" you're religious. If you say that "god" talked back, then off to the psych ward you go!! I just want to know how does this "god" respond? Does he tweet? facebook? myspace? call? fax? e-mail? magically appear at the foot of your bed at 3AM? I'd like to know how a sky-fairy king can hear ONE lone voice, on a very tiny rock in space with 6 1/2 billion others just like him/her on that rock as it floats with the rest of its galaxy across a 28 billion (so far) light-year across universe?

October 16, 2011 at 3:18 am |
    • Samsword

Why don't you pray and find out? 😉

October 16, 2011 at 3:32 am |
    • Bob O

Hmmmm, can you prove there is no God? At least these Christians admit what they believe in is pure faith. Unless you have been to the otherside of the curtain and back and can prove there is no God. Other wise, your belief is just faith as well.

October 16, 2011 at 3:35 am |
    • Mirosal

All you have done is take every "god" of the past, each with its own special "power", and combined them all into one deity. Each and every one of those gods of yore has been relegated to the realm of mythology. Praying to those gods didn't help, did it? I know, let's ask the Oracle of Delphi, you KNOW how accurate that was!! Gods are fragile things. They can be killed off rather easily with a dose of common sense, a dash of reason, and a pinch of logic. Pretty simple recipe. I really have just ONE question, and it's an easy answer ... do you believe EVERY word in that holy, sacred book of yours? Remember, I said EVERY word, from Genesis to Revelation. No dissertation or thesis is required, a simple yes or no will suffice.

October 16, 2011 at 4:09 am |
    • Phil Stilwell

The response of Bob O. is a good example of theist thought. For them, there is no difference between belief based on evidence and belief based on no evidence. The have a vested interest to blur this distinicition, for if evidence comes in degress, and warranted belief must map to the degree of evidence, then their entire theistic world-view fails. And it does fail, for that is precisely how warranted belief works; the degree of belief must map to the degree of the available evidence. Rational belief is not binary, nor has it ever been. Faith is no virtue, and those who promote this nonsense should be ashamed.

October 16, 2011 at 4:34 am |
    • Free

Bob O
      For people whose belief is pure faith based, they spend a lot of time and effort to combat scientific findings that they see as proofs against their beliefs, don't they? Wouldn't a person of pure faith be unconcerned with what science has to say about their beliefs?

October 16, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • Samsword

I still think people should pray and find out for themselves... what have you got to lose? If you're right, and there is no God, you've lost nothing. If there is a God, and He answers you, you've gained something. Just seems like common sense to me.

October 16, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  8. Kathy

You certainly got a lot of responses.
    I really like what you said and appreciate your taking such a stand for a God who does care about His people, even if they don"t believe in Him. Your statement, "Even our lack of faith and moral shortcomings don't prevent him from listening to our prayers," gives hope to anyone going through difficult times." Also, the statement, "Regardless of one’s religion, culture or level of morality, God offers all of us something wonderful that might seem surprising to many," I am sure resonates with many who have called upon God, maybe inadvertently, in time of trouble.

The book, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, is filled with statements about God and his compassion and willingness to help people. In the first chapter on "Prayer", the author, Mary Baker Eddy, says, "Desire is prayer; and no loss can occur from trusting God with our desires, that they may be moulded and exalted before they take form in words and in deeds."

You have summed up the benefits of prayer beautifully in your last sentence, "You will never know what incredible breakthrough awaits you until you start praying."

October 16, 2011 at 2:36 am |
    • Free

Can you suggest a reason why he apparently just assumes that a lack of faith goes hand-in-hand with having "moral shortcomings"?

October 16, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • Free

Oh, I forgot to also ask why, in your opinion, does he think that those without faith still pray? I mean, personally I don't believe in any gods, so who am I supposedly praying to, and for what purpose if I don't believe that anyone is listening?

October 16, 2011 at 10:49 am |
  9. Son of the Mayflower

I went to Bible school with Jason. Our first born kids were born days apart. He has given his life to help people and I am proud of him. One should not waste their time in destructive comments or analysis for they will give account. Jason this is God breathed – Our God does listen : He is close to the broken in heart. Because he has also had his heart broke over creation... Only He is at work

October 16, 2011 at 1:42 am |
    • John Richardson

More theistic self absorption. Are we supposed to be oh so impressed that you went to school with this person? We are here to discuss this person's claims, and they are ludicrous. He is wasting his life on fantasy that he, as a missionary, hopes to further infest the world with. That is something I find totally impossible to respect.

October 16, 2011 at 7:25 am |
    • Free

"destructive comments"
      If they were capable of putting themselves in the other person's shoes would the faithful who make such mean-spirited comments about atheists, gays, Muslims, Jews, scientists, and even moderate Christians continue to do so? Self-righteousness abounds even within the evangelical community. They fail to see the plank in their own eyes, as a wise man once said.

October 16, 2011 at 10:38 am |
  10. sturm

"Deep down inside, I wondered if God truly cared when I talked to him".

the answer of course. NO.

October 15, 2011 at 11:58 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Well since you can not prove you opinion ..... The answer depends on the persons belief or non belief. 🙂

October 16, 2011 at 12:50 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

SInce you can't prove yours, either, your point is moot as usual, Mark.

Your only advantage is that you're more succinct in your failure to prove a point than is your pal, Chad.

October 16, 2011 at 12:56 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Tom,Tom. The moot point is just that, sometimes the greatest path to peace is to show where two philosophies or views meet. 🙂

October 16, 2011 at 1:17 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You haven't shown anything of the sort.

October 16, 2011 at 1:28 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

I proved my point as soon as you posted :

"SInce you can't prove yours, either,..."

You see, you proved my point and at the same time "mooted" Sturm's original post.

Thanks Tom'Tom 🙂

October 16, 2011 at 2:09 am |
    • herbert juarez

An amazing win for Mark ! Well done Mark ! God bless

October 16, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
  11. Central Srutinizer

I dislike very much people like Jason Frenn. Why? They are missionaries, among the worst sort of people on Earth. I don't care what anyone believes, never have, and never will. If you engage me in argument about your beliefs I will tell you what I think, but I would NEVER try to convert you to my way of thinking. Preying on the gullible, if there were such a thing as sin, that would be number one on Moses' first table.

October 15, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>“They are missionaries, among the worst sort of people on Earth. I don't care what anyone believes, never have, and never will. If you engage me in argument about your beliefs I will tell you what I think, but I would NEVER try to convert you to my way of thinking.”

“I’ve always said we should help a Hindu become a better Hindu, a Muslim become a better Muslim, a Catholic become a better Catholic. We believe our work should be our example to people. We have among us 475 souls – 30 families are Catholics and the rest are all Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs—all different religions. But they all come to our prayers." Mother Teresa

October 16, 2011 at 1:24 am |
  12. Central Srutinizer

Dang, I don't have time to get totally caught up here, BUT:
    1. Typically your body produces around 300 watts of energy.
    2. It is ok to NOT KNOW
    3. For Herbert ; God bless you blessing God blessing you and you and God bless aall the bliessings of God blessing people of bleesing Gods.

October 15, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
    • Central Srutinizer

LS forgive my typo-s. It has been a long day and I am raising a class of Patron to the Sun God.

October 15, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

CS, I'm way ahead of you in the raising of glasses-although not Patron, just a nice cava.

Have a good night and a wonderful Sunday.

October 15, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
    • Central Srutinizer

You too LS.

October 15, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

CS, I am still puzzled, but hesitate to say why.

October 15, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
    • Central Srutinizer

@tom tom
      I think one of your stalkers tricked me.
      1. Are you you femaile?
      2. If so, your are my Lisbeth Salander

That is all. If yo don't care for it let me know and I willl stilck with TT. Not prob. BUT you doe remind me of LS.

October 15, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Ah, got it. I had forgotten about Lisbeth. Thanks–both for reminding me and for the compliment.

I won't forget again.

Have a peaceful rest.

October 16, 2011 at 12:05 am |
    • Central Srutinizer

@LS
      Oh, cool, I was starting to get embarassed. You never know know who is showdowing you any more in here.

October 16, 2011 at 12:09 am |
  13. Joy

Wow. its great that Jason Frenn made it to CNN. thats so amazing & such a huge blessing!! God Bless him & everyone that reads this artcile. he most deffinatly has a lot to say & a lot we can learn from! AMEN!

October 15, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Maybe you can ask him how to spell.

October 15, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
    • Central Srutinizer

@Joy
      Hi Joy, what does "Amen" mean? Do you even know? Whas that a hymn? Whas that a prayer? You don't even understand your own religion, so why do you bother here?

October 15, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
    • herbert juarez

Ask that hypocrite tom tom to spell Keith.tom toms first attempt came out Steve.God bless

October 16, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  14. Reality

synopsis of 21st Christianity based on the studies of Professors Crossan, Ludemann, Borg, Fredricksen et al:

Jesus was an illiterate, Jewish, peasant/carpenter/simple preacher man who suffered from hallucinations and who has been characterized anywhere from the Messiah from Nazareth to a mythical character from mythical Nazareth to a ma-mzer from Nazareth (Professor Bruce Chilton, in his book Rabbi Jesus). An-alyses of Jesus’ life by many contemporary NT scholars via the NT and related doc-uments have concluded that only about 30% of Jesus' sayings and ways noted in the NT were authentic. The rest being embellishments (e.g. miracles)/hallucinations made/had by the NT authors to impress various Christian, Jewish and Pagan se-cts.

The 30% of the NT that is "authentic Jesus" like everything in life was borrowed/plagiarized and/or improved from those who came before. In Jesus' case, it was the ways and sayings of the Babylonians, Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Hit-ti-tes, Canaanites, OT, John the Baptizer and possibly the ways and sayings of traveling Greek Cynics.
    earlychristianwritings.com/theories.html

For added "pizz-azz", Catholic theologians divided god the singularity into three persons and invented atonement as an added guilt trip for the "pew people" to go along with this trinity of overseers. By doing so, they made god the padre into god the "fil-icider".

Current RCC problems:

Pedo-ph-iliac priests, an all-male, mostly white hierarchy, atonement theology and original sin!!!!

Luther, Calvin, Joe Smith, Henry VIII, Wesley, Roger Williams, the Great “Babs” et al, founders of Christian-based religions or combination religions also suffered from the belief in/hallucinations of "pretty wingie thingie" visits and "prophecies" for profits analogous to the myths of Catholicism (resurrections, apparitions, ascensions and immacu-late co-nceptions).

Current problems:

Adu-lterous preachers, "propheteering/ profiteering" evangelicals and atonement theology,–

October 15, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  15. kimsland

This 'holly spirit' jesus patheticness is absolutely disgusting filth.
    I am totally against religious beliefs because well, they are fools.
    The prophet Allah is another absurdity and freak of intelligence.
    I spit on all holly spirit and god concepts and laugh at their idiocy.
    Thanks again for listening to an atheist, I have more to inform you.

October 15, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  16. Just the way it really is

Non-existant gods cannot listen to anyone.

It's all just you imagination.

October 15, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  17. Anon

Whats the point talking to imaginary mythological men?

October 15, 2011 at 9:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I ask myself that every time I post anything in response to herbie.

October 15, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
    • herbert juarez

@tom tom
      would that be like posting Steve and meaning Keith,like you do?God bless

October 16, 2011 at 8:38 am |
    • Celery Stalks At Midnight

@herbert juarez,

There is treatment available for your OCD; perhaps that will help... along with some education and maturity.

Nothing else that you have to say has a whit of credibility due to your ridiculous behavior here.

October 16, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
    • herbert juarez

talking celery judges credibility?God bless

October 16, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Celery has more intelligence than herbie any day.

October 16, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  18. WOT

Someone who is foolish will never understand the word of God! Prayer is talking to God one on one. Some people do not talk to their parents, how could they talk to God! Man can not make a tree!!!

October 15, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Is this supposed to mean something? If so, what?

October 15, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
    • Free

So, you talk to God "one on one", eh? Can you describe his voice to us? Who does he sound like?

October 15, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
    • herbert juarez

The voice of God = pure love.God bless

October 16, 2011 at 8:40 am |
    • Free

herbert juarez
      Yet, God supposedly opposes many pure love relationships between adults, and I know a pure love with my wife, but I am also a non-believer. So I don't see how you can make that claim.

October 16, 2011 at 10:28 am |
    • tallulah13

That was an amazing spew of who knows what. I"m not surprised that WOT spends a lot of time talking to his/her invisible buddy.

October 16, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • herbert juarez

free
      agape love, free ,not perversion.God bless

October 16, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Celery Stalks At Midnight

If it comes out of @herbert juarez's mouth, it is most probably wrong. If he says, "The sky is blue", I would get a second opinion. 🙂

October 16, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
  19. John Richardson

Chad writes: "You can try and slice and dice John, but you cant dodge the fact that Darwins theory of gradual mutation is gone. Put to death by the fossil record."

First of all, you keep slipping the term "mutation" in here. Mutations per se affect genes, which in turn will have anywhere from a reasonably significant effect to little effect to no effect (ie when genes mutate that are "turned off" by other genes). A single mutation isn't gradual on any timescale. But acc-umulations of mutations can take place for however many millions of years you want to look at.

And then you quote this (without citation – which you seldom if ever give, btw): "Eldredge and Gould proposed that the degree of gradualism commonly attributed to Charles Darwin is virtually nonexistent in the fossil record, and that stasis dominates the history of most fossil species"

Note the word 'degree' in there. There are two ways in which PE retains quite a bit of gradualism. First, they never disputed the existence of long term trends in the fossil record, eg size changes or changes in the complexity or efficacy of some organ or other morphological aspect of the relevant organisms over very, very long periods that involve many, many speciation events. This sort of change is not just gradual in the sense of it taking a long time, but gradual in the sense that the changes tend to come in "grades" or steps. Each speciation even will by definition create a new species which will generally (though not in the case of so-called sibling species) have morphologically recognizable consequences. But the new species will not diverge enormously from the parental species from which it arose.

Speciation itself on the PE view is RELATIVELY fast compared to the often much longer periods of RELATIVE (not absolute) stasis. PE came to this conclusion simply by drawing the logical consequences of what was already understood about the population genetics and especially intense form of natural selection during alllopatric and peripatric speciation, which were already considered the major modes of speciation. But speciation is still excruciatingly SLOW compared to our own lifetimes, or even the period since the rise of western science or even all of recorded human history.

Finally, Chad, why even mention this unless you somehow thought PE theory slew the Darwinian dragon of evolution and gave comfort and support to creationist accounts? THAT is TOTALLY false. PE is a revision of Darwinian thinking in evolution, not a refutation of Darwin's essential idea that species evolve from prior species and we all evolved from animals and ultimately very simply organism. To ballyhoo PE as some sort of death knell for is akin to claiming that scientists no longer believe in gravity because they long since no longer believe that Newton's theory of gravity gets it all right. It gets some critical things wrong and is silent on others and has been vastly IMPROVED upon, but much of Newton's original insight remains and his equations are still used in, eg, space flight planning, for which purposes it is fully adequate.

October 15, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Chad=delusional dolt.

October 15, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
    • herbert juarez

tom tom=hypocrite.God bless

October 16, 2011 at 7:31 am |
    • John Richardson

Herbie, you didn't answer me. Do you admit that you can't disprove that Allah is going to cast all Christians into hell to suffer eternal torment?

October 16, 2011 at 8:03 am |
    • herbert juarez

Allah carries all the clout of Dagon.God bless

October 16, 2011 at 8:35 am |
    • John Richardson

@HJ So, in other words, you can't prove it. For all you actually KNOW, you will be condemned to eternal torment for being a Christian.

October 16, 2011 at 9:24 am |
    • herbert juarez

I know you are full of crap and have every confidence in God whom i have believed and
      absolutely none in idols.God bless

October 16, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Chad

@John "So gradualism is far from gone in PE theory, and PE theory is also far from universally accepted anyway."
      Slice and dice, mix in big words... doesnt "Morphological change" sound so much more learned than "different shape"?
      Go ahead, try and re-define "gradualism".. then try and fit that in with PE. Darwin himself said that they type of change that PE describes, if true, would be the death of his theory.

"Better begin with this: If species really, after catastrophes, created in showers world over, my theory false." – Charles Darwin

=>Now, you can try and leap on "PE isnt catastrophism", but cleary it's intellectually dishonest of you to try an reconcile MOST of the speciation occurring in MINISCULE proportions of the time compared to gradualism. Dont try "the only difference is the time frames" nonsense.. mutations gradually adding up to something over tens of millions of years is WAY different than that happening in 10k-50k years (and NOT happening the other 999,999,989,9999 years).

Finally, Chad, why even mention this unless you somehow thought PE theory slew the Darwinian dragon of evolution and gave comfort and support to creationist accounts? THAT is TOTALLY false"
      =>as I said before, PE didnt "slay" gradualism, PE was scientists finally facing the fact that the fossil record didnt support Darwins idea of gradualism. FACT.
      PE falls on it's face for other reasons than the fossil record. The sheer fantastically unlikely odds of ALL of this species creating mutations (mutations that have to happen in order, work with each other.. you know, this nonsense about "scaffolds") occurring during this INCREDIBLY short period of time, and always escaping fossilization.. that's what slays PE.

October 16, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  20. ttwp

"He listens to the godly man who does his will." John 9:31

October 15, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
    • tallulah13

"How Can the Laboring Man Find Time for Self-Culture?" Martini Ranch, 1986.

October 15, 2011 at 9:58 pm |
    • Dean Martin

"Doo be doo be doo" Frank Sinatra

October 15, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
    • Free

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.- Matthew 6:5-7

How many Christian pastors and other spiritual leaders do you know who keep all their praying hidden from the public, not to mention short, and to the point?

October 15, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Free, this has always been one of my favorite passages, particularly when responding to those who blather on about prayer in the public schools.

Those who do the real work of Christ don't advertise. They don't need to.

October 16, 2011 at 12:18 am |