home
RSS
My Take: Defending TLC’s ‘All-American Muslim’ against Muslim complaints
Samira Amen, who's featured in "All-American Muslim."
November 28th, 2011

My Take: Defending TLC’s ‘All-American Muslim’ against Muslim complaints

Editor's Note: Khurram Dara is the author of "The Crescent Directive: An essay on improving the image of Islam in America," coming this winter (Tensile). He tweets @KhurramDara.

By Khurram Dara, Special to CNN.com

For the last decade, Islam has been under a lot of scrutiny, and understandably so. When you’ve got terrorists all over the world declaring war on America and the West in the name of Islam, it’s only natural that people will have questions.

But this reasonable concern has rapidly turned into irrational suspicion, with anti-Muslim groups seizing on the opportunity to paint all Muslims in America as radical-loving, violence-approving foreigners.

The problem is that the response from American Muslims has been about as effective as Herman Cain’s PR strategy in the face of sexual harassment allegations. Instead of pooling our resources to combat radicalism, or taking a more active role in our communities so that other Americans better understand us, we’ve resorted to defense tactics.

We tell people that the Quran is being taken out of context. We focus on efforts to try to “educate” the American public. And we desperately cling to the idea that if people just had a better grasp of the facts on Islam, they wouldn’t buy into anti-Muslim propaganda.

Unsurprisingly, none of that has changed Americans' view of Islam.

So when I heard that TLC was doing a reality show about several American Muslim families, I was intrigued. The show wasn’t going to feature scholars refuting the (ridiculous) claims made about Islam. It was going to show regular Muslim families living in America. It was going to show, rather than simply tell, people about Muslims and Islam.

After three weeks of airing, “All-American Muslim” has done just that. Whether it was Mr. Aoude prepping his pregnant wife for that hectic hospital trip, or newlyweds Jeff and Shadia worrying about how their families will get along, it has shown viewers the single most important truth that will change the perceptions of Muslims: We are just like everyone else.

There has been widespread praise from TV critics, calling the show "intimate and heartfelt" and "as good as it gets" and praising TLC for how it has "upended the conventions of reality television."

The show’s premiere had 1.7 million viewers, making it the No. 2 program in its time slot among key demographics and scoring TLC's best Sunday prime time performance in more than a year.

Predictably, the show was also met with harsh and unfair criticism. Anti-Muslim groups wasted no time citing this as another example of Muslims trying to “take over” America.

This was expected. What wasn’t expected was the reaction from some other American Muslims.

“The families aren’t Muslim enough.”

“They aren’t good role models.”

"They don't represent all American Muslims."

Is the show a perfect cross-section of the American Muslim demographic? Are they the most religious families? Is it full of people you aspire to be one day?

No, of course not. It’s reality TV. It’s entertainment. We American Muslims ought to look at it in the grand scheme of things instead of just criticizing the show by saying it “doesn’t represent me.”

You’re right. It doesn’t represent you.

That’s because no TV show, no organization, no movement is ever going to represent you better than you can represent yourself.

“All-American Muslim” is not going to change the image of Muslims on its own. But it’s got the right idea. It’s premised on the fact that people judge a group not just on its beliefs, but also on their interactions with members of that group.

So if you don’t think “All-American Muslim” represents you, then go out into your community and show people what being Muslim is all about, from your perspective. Whether it’s a book club or a basketball league, we can all have our own “All-American Muslim” moments.

The most important take-away from a show like “All-American Muslim” is that we Muslims should focus our efforts on showing average Americans that we share far more in common with them than some would like them to believe.

And you don’t need a TV show to do that, you just have to have the courage to break out of your shell and share in those experiences with your American brethren.

Don’t treat TLC’s reality show as the only hope for changing our image, or as our one shot at showing America what Islam is all about. Don’t treat it as needing to be a flawless, immaculate portrayal of Muslims in America.

Treat it as a first step. Consider it a new approach. Look at it as the beginning of the long journey we have ahead, in changing the negative stereotypes about Muslims in America.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Khurram Dara.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Islam • Opinion • TV

soundoff (2,050 Responses)
  1. Susan

When did the KKK and other white supremists in America ever kill 3000 people in one swoop?

November 29, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • Lols

Implying that all Muslims are terrorists.....Typical fear of what you don't understand.

I assume you believe all Priests molest young children as well.

November 29, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • Terrible

You have just won the award for the dumbest comment on this thread. What does it matter if people were killed instantaneously or over the course of 400 years? It wasn't just the KKK that had a history, but America itself. Ask the native Americans and African-Americans. Foolish!

November 29, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • Duh

The number is unknown but there are estimates it can be that high. What you have to ask yourself is what about all the innocent people we kill in Iraq? "Civilian" (66,081 deaths), "Host Nation" (15,196 deaths and "Friendly" (3,771 deaths).

November 29, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • Rizengrom

Thow yung thow thtufid!

November 29, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • Alan Dala

Susan,

After so many years, you still don't get it...America is not at war with Islam but with terrorists. If a bunch of idiots kill in the name of Allah, that doesn't mean Muslims are terrorist. KKK and others like it was born out of pure hate. What you're saying is wrong on soooo many levels.

Peace.

November 29, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • SomeGuyInNC

so.. lynching 3000 or more people over time makes them better? Not.

November 29, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
    • YankeePatriot

Typical Zionist Jewish sentiment. After all, this is what the Talmud teaches the Jews...to lie, trick and deceive. If you do not believe me, go read it.

November 29, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  2. Yameen Zubairi

I am a Muslim and was the President of first Islamic Organization in this country in 1959. Partly we Muslims are to blame for the abusive treatment by some Americans. We do not follow Islam, go against the injunction of Quran against pagan practices such as Hijab. More than any thing we refuse to become American which is where, with few exceptions, Islamic values are practiced. I once asked Muslim scholars- What can you as Muslim not do in this country that you can do in a Muslim country? Instead of being ashamed of what our Muslim countries are doing, we are stubborn to deny the academic and judicial strength of America. Participate in America as American my Muslim brothers and Allah will bless you and show you the light. Please keep away from the priests since priesthood is forbidden in Islam.( Prof. Zubairi, author-Purpose of Islam)

November 29, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • jack

As you can see I'm dead against this religion. I don't hate the people but I feel they're captive to their religion. the only way i could feel comfortable with the religion is if they were able to tame the Koran itself as what the christians have done. christians no longer follow the barbaric teachings and have adjusted to modern times. can the happen with Izlam? I don't know.

November 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • Mylogic

By priests are you referring to Muftis and Ayatollahs (experts on sharia)? Or are you referring to Imams? Please clarify.

November 29, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • Dirty Harry

Prof, how do you think a non-Muslim should react in say the UK when over the past 30 years we have seen so many social and cultural adaptations made by non-Muslims because of Islam? It was once unheard of for a blind woman with a guide dog to be refused a bus ride – this is not uncommon now, we have the beginning of Sharia in the UK, we have men with more than one legal wife in the UK, we have first cousin marriages causing terrible illnesses and so on.

How should a non-Muslim react when they see these changes and more, year after year after year?

November 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
    • Michelle

Jack if Christians changed the bible many times and have adjusted to modern times and don't follow the original religious teachings then what is the point of being called a Christian? you might as well invent a new religion or become an atheist.
      The Quran does not have barbaric teachings, If you saw anything barbaric in it then you read an incorrect translation from those websites out there that want to make islam look bad. You need to make sure you have credible sources.

I am not forced to stay in islam but I love it because I am one of those muslims who follow it correctly according to the Quran. The misguided muslims, or the "terrorists" have all been influenced by their corrupt culture, because if they truly went about thing the islamic way, they would know one of the major sins is killing innocents no matter what religion they are, and another major sin is to commit suicide therefore suicide bombing is not permitted. In islam it is actually a rule to respect other religions and people. So please don't be mislead by the false muslims out there.

November 29, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
    • jack

Michelle: if you follow Islam according to its teachings then you are what we don't want in this country because you are an oppressor.

November 29, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • YankeePatriot

@ jack......you really don't know jack! hahahaha.

November 29, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  3. todd little

here we go again. more illegals. wanting to get an image in the United States. Bring back our Pledge of Alliegence. Raise our Flag. Muslim American? either your here to benefit the United States and be called an American or get back to where you came from.... i'm sure you can express your Muslimism there.

November 29, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • Alex Batey

It's called religous freedom. You also have converts to Islam from all races. Cool your paranoia.

November 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • Mylogic

Actually Alex,

Religious freedom as you suppose it, is not allowed in Islam. Religious freedom, as I imagine you understand it, includes freedom to practice one's beliefs without persecution and without being threatened.

Is it acceptable for a Muslim girl to become a Christian and go to church? Is it acceptable for Muslim to become an Atheist? If it is acceptable, why are there prescribed punishments for such behavior?

November 29, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • Stephanie

In what way are they illegal? Because they immigrated here? Unless you're 100% Native American, you have absolutely no right to be calling anyone out for immigration.

November 29, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Bryan

When making a point about what a patriotic Ameican you are, it helps to know how to spell Pledge of Allegiance. "Alliegence" is spelled "Allegiance," you ignorant fool.

"Hail Yeah! Gimme back my Amurika! You furiners ken just go home!"

November 29, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  4. Mylogic

I don't think...I know.
    I have worked almost exclusively among Muslims for over seven years. I started out knowing next to nothing about Islam. Now, having studied basic Arabic, the Quran/Koran, the Hadith and the teachings of the primary schools of Islamic law...I can say that most of what is propagated in the popular media is a 'can you catch me skirting the truth' game.

I'll give you an example from a sample interview I recently heard on the radio.

Host: Is it true that if I man leaves Islam he is to be killed?

Muslim Interviewee: There are different schools and interpretations of Islamic Law (jurisprudence). It depends what school you are in. Does that make sense?

Host: Oh, ok.

Look at this brief exchange. Did the person being interviewed answer the question? No. The question was if male converts are condemned to death, or not. Instead there is a misdirection that the host doesn't pick up on.

What is the truth? All of the schools of Sharia law agree that the man who converts away from Islam is to be killed. That is not even questioned. The difference between the different schools is How they go about it. Things like...do we ask him to convert back to Islam before he is killed, or not. How long do we wait until his execution? Things like that.

Sometimes the answer will be..."I don't believe that." Unlike Christianity, what each individual believes in Islam doesn't matter. What matters in what the community (Umma) believes. So, when this person says they don't believe it, is he lying? By Islamic law, not really. If the person thinks his answer may damage Islam's Image, or that he might get in trouble by answering truthfully...it is ok to deceive the unbeliever...for the sake of the community.

Be educated. Study Islamic Jurisprudence (try the Distinguished Jurist's Primer, or Reliance of the Traveller for starters).

November 29, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • Sioux

Mylogic,
      I agree with what you.
      Be prudent and study...then you will see their true feelings toward the infidels...me.

November 29, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • bd

That's barbaric! That's mind control and against everything this country represents: every individual's right to believe what he or she wants to believe.

November 29, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • Dirty Harry

Indeed, these are good examples – people are perceiving Islam as some minority – yet harmless ideology that espouses nice values, it doesn't all people need do is look at the UK, France etc today – do the research – the people in these countries are already seeing a decline in their quality of life as Islam grows, why should a person tolerate something that is a threat to them I often ask.

November 29, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
  5. YankeePatriot

Lets stop fighting expensive proxy wars for Israel in the middle east and bring our boys back. Israel has problems with Muslims because they are sitting on occupied land which belongs to Palestinians. It's time we stop transferring billions to Israel and let them fight their own wars.

November 29, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • Craig

You should study and understand the background before you make silly comments like you have.

November 29, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  6. Stephanie

First they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.

November 29, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • cowflop

Great quote steph!!
      It is by Martin Niemöller, prominent German anti-Nazi theologian and Lutheran pastor, best known as the author of the poem First They Came....

November 29, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • really?!

AMEN

November 29, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • Stephanie

Thanks! I wasn't sure who said it first. I've seen a lot of people credited, so I just left the credit blank.

November 29, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • Dirty Harry

Well if anything is coming for you it is Islam – Muslims are a minority in Britain, yet we have special dress code for Muslim nurses, our Police cannot touch a Koran when they search a Muslim's home, Sharia law (insidiously abusing the UK Arbitration laws) is leading to crimes going unpunished (against women and children mostly), inbreeding is creating child victims with terrible illnesses, Halal is the norm for meals served in schools, aircraft etc.

Look at other minority religions: Budhism, Shintoism, Sikhims etc – they are the ones that are truly harmless to us because – with very rare exceptions – they do not seek to impose change, they do not insist that we adapt to them.

Everything I have said is the truth – so on what grounds can you argue?

November 29, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • Stephanie

They don't want to change us, they want the same rights that are given to every other religion. If Pentecostal women can wear skirts in every situation (Even as firefighters, in the case of the Duggar girls) then I don't see why it's such a big deal if Muslim nurses wear hijabs. The Quran allows first cousins to marry, just like 20 of the states. Kosher has been the norm for a lot longer than Halal has been. I don't know enough about UK laws to comment on that, but I don't feel like Muslims are trying to take over the west. They want to live here just like everyone else.

November 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  7. jack

What the problem is is the Muzlim faith in itself. This program wants you to accept muzlims and shows how nice some are and they are just like me and you. Where the problem starts is these nice muzlims open the door for radicals. this religion teaches hate and intolerance. It's the religion itself which is much larger than these few people. No matter what these few Muzlims think the religion goes on with the same intent. world domination and oppression. It must not be allowed to take foothold in the states. they made us there enemy.

November 29, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  8. cowflop

To my detractors:

I am NOT a racist! I AM a bigot! I admit it!

I hate people who slaughter innocent Americans and other innocents!

If that makes me a bigot, then so be it!

I am a PROUD AMERICAN bigot!

I not only hate muslimes them for their actions, I hate them for their inaction.

"Moderate muslime", bah! There is no such thing! Why do they remain silent?

November 29, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • Duh

"hate people who slaughter innocent Americans and other innocents!"

Then you need to hate Americans too moron, we went into a war in Iraq for no reason. You sir are a disgrace to this country.

November 29, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • Stephanie

Muslims didn't slaughter Americans. The people who slaughtered Americans just happened to be Muslim. There's a difference.

November 29, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • Nonimus

Are you saying there are no innocent Muslims? No Muslim voices against terrorism? (http://www.theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/features/articles/muslim_voices_against_extremism_and_terrorism_2/)

I love the US, but I try not to be blind to its mistakes. And if you think it does not make mistakes, then you are as bad, in your thinking, as any terrorist. Have you spoken out against the civilian deaths caused by the US military? (Note: I am not saying the US should not be doing what it is doing, but civilian deaths are always a tragedy.)

November 29, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
    • American

America is born of a Christian nation and in less than 200 years we have rose to be one of the worlds greatest powers. God Bless America and I pray that the corrupt men and women in politics find they are destroying our country and their childrens country slowly with their greed and power plays. Islam isnt our faith it is our enemies faith such as the Iranian leader and other islamist. America accepts all religions but if you are plotting against your country you are a traitor. We have seen many plots against America by islamic fools.

Long live a Christ fearing America.

November 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
    • Stephanie

American – You are completely wrong. America was founded on the FREEDOM of religion, not on Christianity. This is not a Christian country.

November 29, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • Nonimus

@American,
      "a Christ fearing" country?
      Sorry, doesn't the 1st Amendment say "Congress shall make no law ... prohibiting the free exercise [of religion];"? Nothing there about Christ.

And doesn't Article VI of the Consti.tution state, "... no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." Nothing there about Christ, either.

Hmmm...

November 29, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  9. Donutsalad

Is pretty sad that America needed a TV show to teach them not to be racist jack***es.

November 29, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • Toss my salad

Up yours Nig ger.

November 29, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • Duh

So "Toss my salad" you must have missed this in grade school but emotional maturity is defined as: the ability to express one’s own feelings and convictions balanced with consideration for the thoughts and feelings of others. Grow up.

November 29, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
    • Nonimus

Both of you need to learn how to make an argument without resorting to name calling. It's is weak in logic and effectiveness.

November 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • Nonimus

Sorry, that was aimed at the 'salad' twins.

November 29, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • GAW

@ Duh Don't bother responding to inflammatory remarks. You are only feeding the trolls

November 29, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  10. tomat

All Good Muslims are bound by their Holy Book,which commands convert or kill. Dominate the world through population is their strategy. Introducing "Shariah Law" is the first step. If people were given freedom, 90% of people in Muslim countries would turn to Christian faith. But they keep a tight rope on their necks so no one can leave their faith.

November 29, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
    • Nonimus

"If people were given freedom, 90% of people in Muslim countries would turn to Christian faith. "
      If this were true, then you have nothing to worry about.

November 29, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • Stephanie

Then why is is that in almost all Muslim countries, there are churches and a Christian population? Muslims are free to do as they wish, just like the rest of us.

November 29, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • beth

Have you read the Bible? It's as violent a book as any other. Yet, just as with Islam, moderates are able to look for its eternal truths. Muslims worship the same god, the god of Abraham. Their religion is younger than Christianity, which is far younger than Judaism. The fanatics who kill in the name of their god have been about equal on both sides throughout history. It may be a surprise to you, but since I've travelled in the Middle East, I'll tell you that you are absolutely wrong about your "90%" quote. Religion is a personal thing and choices should be respected as part of cultural tradition.
      There will always be fanatics, especially when they live in poverty while others live in luxury.

November 29, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • Terrible

World domination??? You must not have studied world history. It was Europeans and its emigrants that practiced world domination. All of Africa, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Australia, India, America and Europe itself.

November 29, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
    • Nonimus

@Terrible,
      "It was Europeans and its emigrants that practiced world domination."
      You are correct that Europeans pursued colonialism, but Islamic nation did as well. In fact the largest and longest lasting empire in the world was, I think, the Ottoman Empire (1300's – 1900's).

November 29, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • Stephanie

So it's acceptable for Europeans colonize, but absolutely unacceptable if Arabs do it?

November 29, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • just thoughts

Muslim countries do not allow christian churches..they murder christians that try to set up in muslim lands....that is pretty well known..look what they did to the kids that accidently ventured onto their territory..they got tortured..and held hostage....

November 29, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • just thoughts

IT is absolutely unacceptable for Arabs to go into another country and TAKE OVER...that is WRONG...it is very WRONG..

November 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
    • Stephanie

Just thoughts – Have you ever been to a Muslim country? The exceptions being Saudi Arabia and Iran, all of the rest of them allow Christians to build churches and worship. I saw just as many churches as I saw mosques when I was in Jordan. Your argument is moot.

November 29, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
    • Terrible

@Nonimus, I think the difference here are the systematic tactics. If you ask the Native Americans how they felt about colonialism, they might choose a different term. And I'm not labeling, I'm only pointing out. I would never condemn an entire people.

November 29, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
    • Nonimus

Oh, you were making a counter point to @tomat's "domination" claim?
      Sorry, I misunderstood.

November 29, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  11. Dirty Harry

What is not being discussed is the negative social impact that increasing Islamification can have on a non-Islamic society like the USA or many parts of the EU. I agree that the show is a "reality" show and not representative, but it is also very selective and careful to avoid controversy.

Islam never adapts it expects others to adapt to it, an example is seen in the show were the football practice times are adjusted to suit Islam – a staunchly American icon – football – is subtly expected to adapt to the 'needs' of Muslims, this is just one example – there are literally hundreds.

In the UK we have seen blind people with guide dogs barred from buses (many Muslims despise dogs), we have seen Halal food becoming the main source in schools, we see first cousin marriages at 70% in the Muslim population of Bradford and thus 30% of all health care costs for genetically deformed children now being spent on just 3% of the population. There is now surgery to restore 'virginity' in young Muslim women before marriage, the list goes on.

In my experience (I am originally from Britain) the growth of Islam brings nothing good whatsoever to our society it becomes a succession of adaptations by non-Muslims, ever more 'tolerance' of an ideology that itself is the epitome of intolerance.

We need more in-depth exposes of these very real and sinister aspects of the subject I think, not these light hearted shows that frankly paint a simplistic and very distorted image of what Islam is – look to Britain and France today if you want to see what Islam will bring here tomorrow.

November 29, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • just thoughts

Exactly. There is article after article on youtube of people of Muslim faith admiting that they are attempting to populate the world and that is their WAR.. The mentality of this culture is like rats..and its very scary how manipulative and pushy they are and there should be no tolerance for the overtaking mentality of the Muslim faith..READ TODAYS ARTICLE on CNN: Iranian students stormed the British Embassy in Tehran Tuesday, breaking down the door, throwing around papers and replacing the British flag with an Iranian one !!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is very scary..and this is a mirror of what they are doing to people of other cultures, nations and a sign of their motives..this should be condemed not promoted..
      look it up on U tube...tone of videos on the truth and videos of muslims speaking out on how they are taking over Europe..
      Radical Islam is a grave threat to Europe, there is no denying this. Europe as we know it will be taken by Muslims within the next 100 years. It's time we stop being politically correct with Islam and confront it for what it is.

November 29, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • Michelle

out of the whole essay you wrote there was only one logical point you made, "The mentality of this culture is like rats." That is the biggest problem. The cultures in these middle eastern countries are corrupt, not the religion. Islam never promotes terrorism or violence, ever! There are still those who follow Islam the correct way and are not influenced by culture, so don't categorize all the negatives that muslims do as their "religion."

November 29, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • Nonimus

"I agree that the show is a 'reality' show and not representative, but it is also very selective and careful to avoid controversy."

That would make it the first reality show ever to "avoid controversy," I think.

November 29, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • just thoughts

Michelle, you are a muslim. You believe its the "Culture" not religion that has the corrupt mentality..then why follow a religion that was created by "The Rats?" Muslim faith was created by the very people you believe are corrupt..does that sound like an oximoron to you?

November 29, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
    • Michelle

wait who said the religion is created by those "rats" I am talking about the culture nowadays in the middle east or even in America. The religion itself was not created by the influence of any culture at all which is why i follow this religion, especially since the Quran has not been changed ever. If you keep reading things from websites that hate islam as it is then obviously you will be misguided but there are still some websites out there that represent the real Islam.

November 29, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
  12. Officer_Barbrady

Mooove along people... nothing to see here.

November 29, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
  13. Cinman

I have dealt with people from a few dozen cultures and have found that they all have a lot in common. Food, home, family, career and peace. Everyone of the cultures have a few folks who also want to dominate, control and exterminate. Funny how those folks were 'devout' in either the Christian, Muslim and Hebrew faith and feel they are right to do so for their 'real' god.

November 29, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • DJMcFly

YEAH.... But Only Those "Devout" Muslims Want To Destroy America!

November 29, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • Cinman

Just like the devout Christians slaughtered everyone (Muslims, Hebrews) during the Crusades. Didn't matter that the Holy Land was one of the most peaceful areas at the time with everyone 'brothers of the same book.' The Christians killed that thought off.

November 29, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
  14. Proud American

HATE, ANGER AND IGNORANCE, its amazing, Christianity without Christ and patriotism without America. This too we shall over come. I hope its before we all start speaking Chinese and practicing Buddhism. Lol

November 29, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
    • DJMcFly

OR ARABIC

November 29, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
  15. Tina

This is a great show, I think that people that don't embrace other cultures are a bunch of narrow minded people that need to get their heads out of certain body parts.

November 29, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
    • DJMcFly

TINA..... Proof That Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder

November 29, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  16. DJMcFly

WHY CAN'T THEY FIND A HALF WAY NICE LOOKING MUSLIM CHICK Than That Stereotype Middle Eastern Hag In The Photo........Maybe Not Any!

November 29, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
  17. krishna

muslims are small brained creatures. thats why they need to cover their heads to prevent the few gray cells in their thick skull from evaporating. someone who believes the koran cannot reason.

November 29, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • vintage274

People who talk about whole groups of other people in disparaging and stereotypical ways are small-minded, ignorant, and uneducated. They need to hide their faces, not their heads.

November 29, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • krishna

@Vintage274....the koran disparages a whole group of people as disbelievers, kafirs, infidels etc. so throw the koran in the gutter.

November 29, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • InvisiblePinkUnicorn

@krishna,
      People who live in glass houses....

November 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
    • jockey

look at this pathetic hindu, who wud worship anything that includes monkeys and mice also, u decide who needs help

November 29, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • krishna

@jockey...yes i worship a monkey or a mouse because i feel the presence of Allah in the object of my worship. you islamic boneheads cannot understand this. now turn and bend like how you do in a mosque. i feel like stretching my legs.

November 29, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
    • vintage274

The Bible disparages whole groups of people. The Jews were the people of the book. But then there's the New Testament. And somehow the people of the book in the Old Testament became "the Jews" who no longer followed God. Except that - wow - it's the same darned God it was in the first place. And - wow, again - the Muslims are the people of Abraham, which are the same people that God loved so much in the Old Testament, but who somehow starting calling themselves Christians and changed their minds about who were the chosen people in the first place. And of course, Jesus taught his followers to love their neighbors who just happen to be Jews and Muslims. Oh gee, how confusing.

November 29, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
    • krishna

@vintage 274...yes confusing but not beyond reason. that was the point of our discussion. peace.

November 29, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  18. American Citizen

Take your hijabs and go back to the middle east.

November 29, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Adam

and what about those of us that were born in america and live here and who are not middle eastern but are muslim? where do I go?

November 29, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • Michelle

I was born here as were my parents. so my hijab and I will be staying here thank you very much.

November 29, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • vintage274

Take your bigotry and go back to wherever YOUR ancestors came from. Wanna play the my-family-was-here-before-your-family game so we can see which of us is "MORE" American? You lose.

November 29, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
  19. tucsonmam

"UNTIL HE EATS THE SHEEPS, YOU'LL NEVER KNOW THAT THE WOLF WAS IN THE SHEEP BARN." ^^

November 29, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • Nonimus

... only if you are blind, deaf, and can't smell. In my experience, wolves are easily distinguished from sheep.

November 29, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
  20. Edward

Muslims should not need defending to begin with.

November 29, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • Jake 2

We are defending ourselves against them

November 29, 2011 at 1:44 pm |