home
RSS
My Take: Defending TLC’s ‘All-American Muslim’ against Muslim complaints
Samira Amen, who's featured in "All-American Muslim."
November 28th, 2011

My Take: Defending TLC’s ‘All-American Muslim’ against Muslim complaints

Editor's Note: Khurram Dara is the author of "The Crescent Directive: An essay on improving the image of Islam in America," coming this winter (Tensile). He tweets @KhurramDara.

By Khurram Dara, Special to CNN.com

For the last decade, Islam has been under a lot of scrutiny, and understandably so. When you’ve got terrorists all over the world declaring war on America and the West in the name of Islam, it’s only natural that people will have questions.

But this reasonable concern has rapidly turned into irrational suspicion, with anti-Muslim groups seizing on the opportunity to paint all Muslims in America as radical-loving, violence-approving foreigners.

The problem is that the response from American Muslims has been about as effective as Herman Cain’s PR strategy in the face of sexual harassment allegations. Instead of pooling our resources to combat radicalism, or taking a more active role in our communities so that other Americans better understand us, we’ve resorted to defense tactics.

We tell people that the Quran is being taken out of context. We focus on efforts to try to “educate” the American public. And we desperately cling to the idea that if people just had a better grasp of the facts on Islam, they wouldn’t buy into anti-Muslim propaganda.

Unsurprisingly, none of that has changed Americans' view of Islam.

So when I heard that TLC was doing a reality show about several American Muslim families, I was intrigued. The show wasn’t going to feature scholars refuting the (ridiculous) claims made about Islam. It was going to show regular Muslim families living in America. It was going to show, rather than simply tell, people about Muslims and Islam.

After three weeks of airing, “All-American Muslim” has done just that. Whether it was Mr. Aoude prepping his pregnant wife for that hectic hospital trip, or newlyweds Jeff and Shadia worrying about how their families will get along, it has shown viewers the single most important truth that will change the perceptions of Muslims: We are just like everyone else.

There has been widespread praise from TV critics, calling the show "intimate and heartfelt" and "as good as it gets" and praising TLC for how it has "upended the conventions of reality television."

The show’s premiere had 1.7 million viewers, making it the No. 2 program in its time slot among key demographics and scoring TLC's best Sunday prime time performance in more than a year.

Predictably, the show was also met with harsh and unfair criticism. Anti-Muslim groups wasted no time citing this as another example of Muslims trying to “take over” America.

This was expected. What wasn’t expected was the reaction from some other American Muslims.

“The families aren’t Muslim enough.”

“They aren’t good role models.”

"They don't represent all American Muslims."

Is the show a perfect cross-section of the American Muslim demographic? Are they the most religious families? Is it full of people you aspire to be one day?

No, of course not. It’s reality TV. It’s entertainment. We American Muslims ought to look at it in the grand scheme of things instead of just criticizing the show by saying it “doesn’t represent me.”

You’re right. It doesn’t represent you.

That’s because no TV show, no organization, no movement is ever going to represent you better than you can represent yourself.

“All-American Muslim” is not going to change the image of Muslims on its own. But it’s got the right idea. It’s premised on the fact that people judge a group not just on its beliefs, but also on their interactions with members of that group.

So if you don’t think “All-American Muslim” represents you, then go out into your community and show people what being Muslim is all about, from your perspective. Whether it’s a book club or a basketball league, we can all have our own “All-American Muslim” moments.

The most important take-away from a show like “All-American Muslim” is that we Muslims should focus our efforts on showing average Americans that we share far more in common with them than some would like them to believe.

And you don’t need a TV show to do that, you just have to have the courage to break out of your shell and share in those experiences with your American brethren.

Don’t treat TLC’s reality show as the only hope for changing our image, or as our one shot at showing America what Islam is all about. Don’t treat it as needing to be a flawless, immaculate portrayal of Muslims in America.

Treat it as a first step. Consider it a new approach. Look at it as the beginning of the long journey we have ahead, in changing the negative stereotypes about Muslims in America.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Khurram Dara.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Islam • Opinion • TV

soundoff (2,050 Responses)
  1. ProudMuslim

From the extremely violent verses that I have quoted from the Bible, I would love to have someone quote me something equally violent from the Quran or Hadith. Please I am waiting for your over-whelming response to my request.

November 29, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Jack

Like we all carry korans but I'm sure someone will answer you. Your people are violent and we see it every day. You thrive on it. That's more convincing than your Koran.

November 29, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • ProudMuslim

Jack, Muslim haters should not have any problem finding violent verses since according to your belief the Quran is full of violence.

November 29, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Bull

Yes, there is violence in the Bible. Where we differ is we ignore it. We have grown. Christians did the excact same things Muslims are doing now, we just stopped hundreds of years ago and allowed our religion to grow along with the human race. Now, why don't you?

November 29, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • The infidel

I have about literally 2 tons of these versus and hadith, but do you read Arabic first of all?

November 29, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • ProudMuslim

Man, you are so blind. Your country, USA, has killed more people than all Muslim countries combined. The US is and has been the source of misery all over the world. Just look at what you have done in your own backyard, South America.

November 29, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • ProudMuslim

@Infidel, from your "2 tons", please enlighten us with just 2 grams and make sure they are in English so that all your buddies can read them also.

November 29, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • The infidel

here you go: قَاتِلُوا الَّذِينَ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَلَا بِالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ وَلَا يُحَرِّمُونَ مَا حَرَّمَ اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ وَلَا يَدِينُونَ دِينَ الْحَقِّ مِنَ الَّذِينَ أُوتُوا الْكِتَابَ حَتَّى يُعْطُوا الْجِزْيَةَ عَنْ يَدٍ وَهُمْ صَاغِرُونَ
      Fight those who do not believe in God or the other day, and who do not forbid what God has forbidden and his messenger, and those who do not embrace the religion of islam of the people of the book, untill they pay the jiziya.

just a fast translation. I am not looking for extreme precision here.

November 29, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • Bull

My country? What the hell does that have to do with Christianity? Even if the USA is the "great satan" and does all these things, do they do it in the name of religion? Focus on the subject matter numbmuts.

November 29, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • History tells the true story

@Bull, you stopped hundreds of years ago??? You must not be familiar with the Civil Rights movement... Or Vietnam, Korea, Panama, Iraq and the list goes on.

November 29, 2011 at 4:38 pm |

more:

فَإِذَا لَقِيتُمُ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا فَضَرْبَ الرِّقَابِ حَتَّى إِذَا أَثْخَنْتُمُوهُمْ فَشُدُّوا الْوَثَاقَ فَإِمَّا مَنًّا بَعْدُ وَإِمَّا فِدَاءً حَتَّى تَضَعَ الْحَرْبُ أَوْزَارَهَا ذَلِكَ وَلَوْ يَشَاءُ اللَّهُ لَانْتَصَرَ مِنْهُمْ وَلَكِنْ لِيَبْلُوَ بَعْضَكُمْ بِبَعْضٍ وَالَّذِينَ قُتِلُوا فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ فَلَنْ يُضِلَّ أَعْمَالَهُمْ
      Sora mohammed, verse 4

If you find those who have forsaken islam, then behead them, even if you captured them be forceful with them. Use them as hostages if required until your war with them is over. And those who died in the sake of allah will not be forgotten.

November 29, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • The infidel

وَأَعِدُّوا لَهُمْ مَا اسْتَطَعْتُمْ مِنْ قُوَّةٍ وَمِنْ رِبَاطِ الْخَيْلِ تُرْهِبُونَ بِهِ عَدُوَّ اللَّهِ وَعَدُوَّكُمْ وَآخَرِينَ مِنْ دُونِهِمْ لَا تَعْلَمُونَهُمُ اللَّهُ يَعْلَمُهُمْ وَمَا تُنْفِقُوا مِنْ شَيْءٍ فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ يُوَفَّ إِلَيْكُمْ وَأَنْتُمْ لَا تُظْلَمُونَ
      Al anfal verse 60

And ready up whatever forces you have to strike fear into the hearts of the unbelievers and your enemies and also those who have taken them as allies. Everything you spend will be given back to you and you will never be oppressed.

the first sora was al taoba 29

November 29, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Jack

You made me go and do it. Quran (8:12) – "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them" No reasonable person would interpret this to mean a spiritual struggle. there are amnay many more ... do I need to paste them too?

November 29, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • The infidel

Did I make my point? and don't give me that out of context tiqiyya stuff. I have videos of Imams saying this stuff.

November 29, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • Jack

looks like someone else answered your call. i went to post mine and came back and this fellow beat me to it. Thank you The Infidel

November 29, 2011 at 4:50 pm |

Are you still proud?

November 29, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
    • History tells the true story

For the poor misguided fools that are quoting the Qur'an... What is the nature of these Ayat? When were they revealed, where were they revealed, why were they revealed? Your quoting without any knowledge. These are commandments to defend themselves from persecution from the jews, christians and pagans.

November 29, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • The infidel

No problem, I'm just here to spread the truth about the "religion of peace".

November 29, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • Jack

@ The Infifel... I don't hate someone because of their faith i hate the religion. We are on the same page as I've read your posts. I'm just trying to protect my family and my country. I can see the writing on the wall on this one.

November 29, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • History tells the true story

Forgive me, I meant "you're"... It seems the ignorance is having an effect on my spelling.

November 29, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • ProudMuslim

I have just seen your intelligence. So the verses that you quote from the Quran are equal in violence as compared to what I quoted from the Bible? You guys are pathetic.

November 29, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • Jack

Didn't you say quote something of equal violence? we answered your call and no you insult our intelligence for effectively doing so?

November 29, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Jack

@ history tells the truth... Your moniker tells exactly why we are against the muslims. What makes you think I or we are religious. I'm not...I just have common sense and I know what Islams agenda is and I know your so called moderates are doing nothing to stop it. I'm being prepared to rid the us of muslims.

November 29, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • ProudMuslim

Nice try guys but no cigar. I was hoping to see something like killing all women, children and and smashing the heads of babies against rocks like in the bible. Do I hear cries of loser, loser, loser!!!!

November 29, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
    • ProudMuslim

We will not apologize for God commanding us to defend ourselves when we are persecuted or oppressed. As for spreading Islam by the sword, all the people that are converting in the West are they doing it by force? Guys face it. ISLAM IS THE TRUTH AND IT WILL PREVAIL regardless of how much you try to demonize it.

November 29, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • The infidel

So Islam didn't spread by the sword? take India for example. The Muslims killed Millions of Hindu people so that the rest will convert to Islam. This is a fact. Now about the people who convert to Islam in the west. The figures are dramatically inflated to serve as a propaganda. In fact a lot of people in the middle east are being forced to convert to Islam against their will, and I have examples of this. No sane person would convert to Islam if they know the truth behind it.

November 29, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • The infidel

Did you know that ex-Muslims must be killed? so if you convert to Islam and you don't like it, you better shut your mouth or face death.

November 29, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  2. Jack

After reading these distorted posts and disinformation from the muslims and their sympathizors. Remember folks, they attacked us and still are trying. We weren't even very familiar with them intil we were attacked. They've done nothing to stand up and speak up against these attacks. We can see their trails of places they've been and where its led other countries. We're not blind, they must think we're stupid but they will find out what resolve we have here the hard way.

November 29, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • Stephanie

Or maybe you should just listen to REAL Muslims instead of always writing them off.

November 29, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Jack

Stphanie... I've listened to many. their track record also speaks loudly...don't be so naive

November 29, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • Stephanie

YOU are the naive one. I spent months in the middle east, surrounded by muslims. Not ONE of them ever made me feel like I wasn't welcomed. I felt safer with those people than I've ever felt in certain states in this country. A majority of people all over the world, Muslims included, are just normal people trying to live their lives. You think watching videos on youtube counts as listening to Muslims? You are so wrong.

November 29, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Jack

I know different. I've taken a great interest in this and have read much on it. I'm at war with them NOW. My weapon is what i can write. I can see the big picture very clearly. It's not muddled by a few nice muslims that you may know. I operate from the facts.

November 29, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • Jack

Stephanie... I haven't even heard one muslim condemn the attcks on this forum. They have no problem protesting loudly when they want something but when their brothers attack us you hear nothing from them

November 29, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • Stephanie

You can read all you want, but until you actually go and see what REAL Muslims are like, you know nothing. Yes, there are bad Muslims out there, but that holds true for every group of people. There are bad Christians, bad Jewish people, bad Americans, bad Australians. It doesn't matter. You can't judge the entire group of people on a small fraction of them who have big voices. It would be like comparing all Americans to you. You have a big voice, but you are not by any means representing the entirety of America. Just like the terrorists don't represent the entirety of Muslims. Stop being such a bigot. It isn't fair to the rest of us.

November 29, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • The infidel

I lived in the middle east for practically all of my life. A lot of muslims are nice and they're just normal people, but the vast religious majority hates non-muslims. I am certain that this hate comes from islam and the quran.

November 29, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • Stephanie

It just makes me feel bad for you because you spend your time living in hate. This isn't about the religious majority. This is about the average American muslim, who is just like you and just like me. The only difference is that people hate them for something they didn't have any involvement in.

November 29, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • pilks

No smoke without fire... and there is a lot of smoke

November 29, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • The infidel

Again, I don't hate muslims. I hate SHARIA law, and ISLAM in general. The ideology of islam and sharia law is EVIL, and I can prove this. You can take Iran for example and Saudi arabia, they impose sharia law. Do you see how women are treated there? do you like that? do you want to be treated as if you have no brain that you use for thinking? do you want to be called "half a man's worth"? that's what I mean. I will not deny that I hate, but i hate islam not muslims. I hope this is clear.

November 29, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • History tells the true story

Intil is NOT a word, its "until.

November 29, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • History tells the true story

Further more its "misinformation". Not only do you need spellcheck, you need make up words check and ignorance check.

November 29, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • Jack

Infidel... You have History Tells The Truth so upset he's trying to find fault with your typing. He's desparate

November 29, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • History tells the true story

I'm far from desperate. This is nothing new. This is the history of america. When has there ever been peace here.

November 29, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • History tells the true story

Also, I did not judge his typing. I referenced his spelling. He'll thank me when he grows up.

November 29, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • History tells the true story

A matter of fact it was your spelling. It's time for me to go, its been a pleasure. Thank you for exposing yourselves. I'll be sure to let African Americans, Spanish and whomever else know that bigotry still exists. The Civil Rights movement all over again.

November 29, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
    • TimedUp

H0ya Jack n Stephanie = there is two muslims, the one that "radicals" and the one that "moderate".
      Stephanie, you had been placed on moderate Muslim such as Indonesia, Egypt, Kuwait, Lebanon, Turks, and Pakistan.
      Jack, you had been reading too much about radicals such as Palestine, Syria, Iran, Afghan,West Indonesia and North East Pakistan.
      Go find Muslim, ask them personally to cleaen this thing and they will probably say to you "we know this but we unsure what Koran said to us because we don't understand the Arabic translation at all, we relying on our imam (priest) on mosque. So when radical imam told us to kill, we will but when moderate imam told us to love, we will. We only pawn on submitting to Allah will whatever its good or bad for the world, if Allah said its good the it'll good for us but the problem we didn't know what Allah want us to do except through them (imam/priest), we only a pawn in submitting faith to Allah"

November 30, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  3. Reality

o On the koranic passages and world domination:========================
    o
    "Mohammed could not have known the size of the world, but several passages in the Koran show that he envisioned Islam dominating all of it, however large it might be: “He it is who sent his messenger . . . that he may cause it [Islam] to prevail over all religions´(Koran 9:33, M.M. Ali; see also 48:28 and 61:9). M.M. Ali designates these three passages as “the prophecy of the ultimate triumph of Islam in the whole world.”

Mohammed’s successors, the caliphs, quoted passages like these to inspire Muslim armies as they advanced out of Arabia, imposing Islam by the sword upon a peacefully unsuspecting Middle East and North Africa, as I described in the previous chapter.

Islamic armies, imbued with what Mohammed claimed was divine authorization, imposed Islam by force over vast areas, all the while extorting wealth from subjugated Jews and Christians to fund their ongoing conquests. As I noted, major defeats at Tours, France, in A.D. 732, and again at Vienna, Austria, in A.D. 1683, halted Islam’s attempt to take all of Europe by force. Gradually Islamic forces were forced to retreat from Europe, except for part of the Balkans. But Islam has again set its sights on a conquest of Europe and of European civilization, wherever the latter has spread to North and South America and other regions. Muslim strategists ask their followers, Why do we find in these modern times that Allah has entrusted most of the world’s oil wealth primarily to Muslim nations?

Their answer: Allah foresaw Islam’s need for funds to finance a final politico-religious victory over what Islam perceives as its ultimate enemy: Christianized Euro-American civilization. So, Islam follows Nazism, fascism and communism as the world’s latest hostile takeover aspirant.

Nazis, fascists and communists failed. Does Islam have a better chance at success? I believe it will flounder if we awaken to its threat in time; yet, if there is not adequate planned resistance, Islam does have a better chance of succeeding. Communism’s world takeover attempt was guaranteed to fail because its economic policy was naively contrary to human nature. Advocating the rubric What is mine is thine, and what is thine is mine, communism failed to see that human nature will not keep those two balanced propositions in equilibrium. Like

a female black widow spider consuming her mate, the latter part of the formula makes a meal of the former, leading to the collapse of any system based upon that formula.

In contrast, political systems do well if they can persuade people to adhere to What’s mine is mine and What’s thine is thine maxims.

Only if a strong religious incentive is added does such an idealistic formula have any long-term chance. Even then success will be spotty. But communism (and Nazism, for that matter) excluded religion. And that mistake was the final nail eventually clamping a lid on communism’s coffin. Communism, on a historical scale, perished while still in its childhood.

Islam is not repeating communism’s mistake. Mating political cunning and incredible wealth with religious zeal, Islam does have a chance to succeed and will succeed unless major parts of the Western world unite to take appropriate countermeasures. But many Western leaders, unable to believe that a mere religion could possible be a serious political threat, keep proclaiming themselves as Islam-friendly, reasoning that all religions are good-aren’t they?

A Muslim strategist in Beverly Hills, California, declared several years ago, as quoted by a friend of mine: “Now that the struggle between Western democracies and international communism is winding down, it is time for the real and final struggle to begin, and we are going to win!”

Don Richardson

November 29, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • ProudMuslim

Oh my God, you have just made me realize what a genius Muhammad was. Thanks bro for your post. You da man.

November 29, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Reality

Proud of the following?

The terror and aggression via a Partial and Recent and not so Recent Body Count

As the koranic/mosque driven acts of terror and horror continue:

The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century

■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "

and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.

and more recently

1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured

1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh

2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured

3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,480 and 928 in non combat roles. 102,522 – 112,049 Iraqi civilians killed as of 9/16/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, land mines and bombs of various types, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.[2]

5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.

6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.

7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.

8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.

9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.

10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,385 killed in action, 273 killed in non-combat situations as of 09/15/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror

11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.

12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.

13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,

14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.

15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.

16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.

17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.

18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.

19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011

20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011

21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.

22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) - Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.

23) "October 4, 2011, 100 die as a truck loaded with drums of fuel exploded Tuesday at the gate of compound housing several government ministries on a busy Mogadishu street. It was the deadliest single bombing carried out by the al Qaeda-linked al-Shabab group in Somalia since their insurgency began. "

November 29, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • ProudMuslim

Being Muslim does not make one a terrorist, being Catholic does not make one a pedophile.

November 29, 2011 at 5:44 pm |

But it sure helps!

November 29, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  4. Amy

As an American Muslim who also happens to be a Black American former Marine, wife and mother of 4 I wholeheartedly agree with Khurram Dara. Just like Christians and many other groups, we Muslims come in many shades, shapes, walks of life, etc. This is just one example of some and it really is a perfect way to show that we are living life just like everyone else. Not that we are all the same (we're not cookies from a cutter) but we are humans trying to live a life that we believe in the same as many others.

November 29, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Libertas inaestimabilis res est

November 29, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • The infidel

The problem is not you. The problem is islam and sharia law. you said you were a woman right? please see what sharia law and islam say about women in general. you will not like it.

November 29, 2011 at 3:55 pm |

Thank you, Amy.

November 29, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Stephanie

The Infidel – She IS Muslim. She knows better than you what Islam says regarding women. Don't pretend you know more about Islam than an actual Muslim. They're not brain-washed.

November 29, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • Jack

I'm not impressed. Take your family and move to the middle east.

November 29, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • The infidel

I'm sure that I know more than her when it comes to the dark side of islam. All the things muslims will not talk about in the media. They will only talk about how peaceful and wonderful islam is, and they will often use tiqyya ( islam's version of lying ) to make islam look better in any way possible. ( so that their numbers will grow and soon after they will introduce sharia in the west )

November 29, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • vw

yup it's official, Jack is a poor example of what it means to be American

God bless

November 29, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • Lost in Translation

Such a poor example he is, I agree. He must try harder not to be so tolerant of threats against his country. What a puss.

November 29, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • vw

LOST
      explain how what Amy said is anti American. i dare ya.

November 29, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • Lost in Translation

So, the koran espouses human rights? Like equality, justice, and tolerance?

You're a lightweight apologist. Go practice and come back later and give me a double-dog dare.

November 29, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
    • vw

LOST
      that had nothing to do with my question did it?

to be clear – i'm not a great defender of islam in particular, nor any religion. im far more worried about my nation. don't you, doesn't everyone think that all people in the US deserve equal protection under the law, equal rights, equal consideration?
      and really isn't calling out islam based on the minority of radical nut jobs like basing all we know about chistianity on snake handlers? it's just so short sided, so limited.

November 29, 2011 at 9:02 pm |

@ vw

" ... that had nothing to do with my question did it?"
      You asked, I answered, and then you chose to ignore.

" to be clear – i'm not a great defender of islam in particular.."
      Yet you claim to be in love with a Muslim girl who would marry you? There's a dichotomy for 'ya. If you can't be supportive of your "wife's" beliefs, what right do you have to be her husband? I guess you just want her for her body and she should keep her mouth shut so she doesn't embarrass or confuse you.

"... doesn't everyone think that all people in the US deserve equal protection under the law, equal rights, equal consideration?"
      Of course I do, but again you choose to ignore the obvious – the koran does not.

"... calling out islam based on the minority of radical nut jobs."
      Not based on the minority, but rather the commonalities all muslims have in the beliefs of their guidebook. Let me ask you, vw... If you're a muslim, do you get to selectively apply chapter and verse of the koran? How do you get to pick and choose? Can you disavow the parts you don't agree with? Or does that make you a 'partial' muslim? Is the koran is clear in it's perfection, completeness and totality? Or is there some "wiggle room" around the uncomfortable, maybe even.. dangerous.. stuff?

You, vw, seem to be conflicted individual. It might be time to dig down deep and set some priorities. If you don't, that muslim girlfriend of yours might set them for you. Girlfriends are good at that, and wussy boyfriends are good at complaining about it afterward when their choices have been made for them.

November 29, 2011 at 9:58 pm |
  5. Reality

THE ANSWER IS EASY:

(from the studies of Armstrong, Rushdie, Hirsi Ali, Richardson and Bayhaqi)

The Five Steps To Deprogram 1400 Years of Islamic Myths:
    ( –The Steps take less than two minutes to finish- simply amazing, two minutes to bring peace and rationality to over one billion lost souls- Priceless!!!)

Are you ready?

Using "The 77 Branches of Islamic "faith" a collection compiled by Imam Bayhaqi as a starting point. In it, he explains the essential virtues that reflect true "faith" (iman) through related Qur’anic verses and Prophetic sayings." i.e. a nice summary of the Koran and Islamic beliefs.

The First Five of the 77 Branches:

"1. Belief in Allah"

aka as God, Yahweh, Zeus, Jehovah, Mother Nature, etc. should be added to your self-cleansing neurons.

"2. To believe that everything other than Allah was non-existent. Thereafter, Allah Most High created these things and subsequently they came into existence."

Evolution and the Big Bang or the "Gi-b G-nab" (when the universe starts to recycle) are more plausible and the "akas" for Allah should be included if you continue to be a "crea-tionist".

"3. To believe in the existence of angels."

A major item for neuron cleansing. Angels/de-vils are the mythical creations of ancient civilizations, e.g. Hitt-ites, to explain/define natural events, contacts with their gods, big birds, sudden winds, protectors during the dark nights, etc. No "pretty/ug-ly wingy thingies" ever visited or talked to Mohammed, Jesus, Mary or Joseph or Joe Smith. Today we would classify angels as f–airies and "tin–ker be-lls". Modern de-vils are classified as the de-mons of the de-mented.

"4. To believe that all the heavenly books that were sent to the different prophets are true. However, apart from the Quran, all other books are not valid anymore."

Another major item to delete. There are no books written in the spirit state of Heaven (if there is one) just as there are no angels to write/publish/distribute them. The Koran, OT, NT etc. are simply books written by humans for humans.

Prophets were invented by ancient scribes typically to keep the un-educated masses in line. Today we call them for-tune tellers.

Prophecies are also invali-dated by the natural/God/Allah gifts of Free Will and Future.

"5. To believe that all the prophets are true. However, we are commanded to follow the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him)
    alone."
    Mohammed spent thirty days "fasting" (the Ramadan legend) in a hot cave before his first contact with Allah aka God etc. via a "pretty wingy thingy". Common sense demands a neuron deletion of #5. #5 is also the major source of Islamic vi-olence i.e. turning Mohammed's "fast, hunger-driven" hallu-cinations into horrible reality for unbelievers.

Walk these Five Steps and we guarantee a complete recovery from your Islamic ways!!!!

Unfortunately, there are not many Muslim commentators/readers on this blog so the "two-minute" cure is not getting to those who need it. If you have a Muslim friend, send him a copy and help save the world.

Analogous steps are available at your request for deprogramming the myths of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Paganism..

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

November 29, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  6. ProudMuslim

"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple." So they began by killing the seventy leaders. "Defile the Temple!" the LORD commanded. "Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!" So they went throughout the city and did as they were told." (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

November 29, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • TimedUp

1. It was (is) not (a) command(s) from ONE to MANY but ONE to ONE.
      2. It was (is) order(ed)(ing) to ANGEL-MALE (known as death angel) to slash enemy of Allah.

timed up for your exit nodes.

November 30, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
  7. vw

ok ok, so i found my rant and in case it was lost in the shuffle i'd like to re post here.

end islam now? that's adorable. it's the fastest growing religion in the world and in 300 years will the last example of monotheism. not because it's "wiped" everyone else out but because of pure lack of interest in main stream Christianity and Judais. minus the hard core Coptics and hasidics, Islam will be the last standing worshiper of GOD,Yahweh, or Allah as you know him. which as you all know is the same God.

not why i'm writing though.
    i don't know just a whole ton of Muslims, but i know a few. and i'd be surprised if you haters knew any.
    some were born here in the US, one lives in tunisia and another, who i'm romantically involved with is from Indonesia. as a little girl all she wanted to do was come to the US and live and work and raise a family. she loves this country like few born here could. she walks in constant appreciation of her freedoms and opportunities as a woman... and Indonesia is fairly progressive.
    the one born here is from the deep south, speaks with a southern accent, votes republican and loves American as well.

assuming that youre a christian, and i understand it is quite an assumption, what have you done to combat christian racists/terrorists? or combat the impressions left by the IRA or UVF, etc? nothing, you've done nothing accept live and work and go on with your life. just like the VAST majority of Muslims in America would like to. they don't hate it here. many were born here and still others fought and saved and studied to come be a part of this nation. 99% hate the US is laughable. more so it's laden with fear and ignorance.

it's hard for me to see how you are blind to your own hypocrisy. you complain of their close mindedness and counter it with your own. i'm sorry but this is the USA!!!! we, AMERICANS, believe in religious freedom, freedom of speech and tolerance of other cultures. WE AMERICANS are the culmination of the whole planet. that's why WE are the best nation on the planet.

if you don't like it you're free to leave.

God Bless

November 29, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Cave ab homine unius libri!

November 29, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • Jack

You are biased because you are romanically involved with one as you mentioned. You're failing to look at the bi picture. look at europe and where the muslims have been. we didn't just say one day we want to hate muslims. they attacked us remember. They are having jihad against us. they are attcking other religions as well. i personally am not religious. this is abouit saftey and security for my childern and grandchildern when I'm gone. I think you're just naive like many.

November 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • Stephanie

Jack – How many Muslims do you know personally?

November 29, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • vw

Jack
      those that attacked us represent an insanely small portion of Muslims in the world. and in fairness the US has had a foreign policy for 30 years which in many ways provoked that attack. please don't get me wrong, i don't think those people deserved to be killed, burned alive and be so filled with fear that they jumped out windows on the 30th floor of a building. i feel like crying just for having written that. But it is important for us to realize that radical islam didn't just wake up one morning and decide to throw planes in our buildings either. they just decide to hate us either.
      i am looking at the big picture my friend. always looking and searching. i have no love to radical anything. for anyone who wants to harm or kill or overthrow. but to generalize millions and millions of people based on the actions of thousands is hardly looking at the big picture

long live the republic

November 29, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • The infidel

The fastest growing religion? OK, so how many of those new converts know Arabic? Don't use the taqiyya please when answering. ( answer honestly )

November 29, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Jack

Stphanie... I know many and many are nice but the big picture is they don't control that religion. The agenda of the religion to which many follow is not compatable with our way of life. When push comes to shove they will want us to adjust to them. Thats' why you see them over taking countries and imposin Sharia

November 29, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • The infidel

I completely agree with Jack.

November 29, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • Jack

VW the problem is the so called moderates sit back indifferently and do nothing. If Christians were to do that other christians would stand up against them. Don't be passive because when push comes to shove they won't be passive to you or your childern

November 29, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • TimedUp

It was called stereotype. go ask.com

November 30, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  8. Stephanie

Hadol elnas majaneen!

November 29, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  9. Casey

Shane – Yes there is violence in the Qur'an, but as a Christian I recognize that the Bible is also full of violence which, if read literally, could cause people to act violently against others. Consider:

"When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you may nations...then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them and show them no mercy." Deuteronomy 7:1-2, NIV

"The LORD is a man of war." – Exodus 15:3, NKJV

Thus says the LORD of hosts: ‘I will punish Amalek for what he did to Israel, how he ambushed him on the way when he came up from Egypt. Now go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them. But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” – 1 Samuel 15:2-3 NKJV

November 29, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • TimedUp

LITERAL: This is OT-Old Testament, that's why there is NT-new testament. Christian is product of NT, the OT only for evidence of the coming of Imam Mahdi (Jesus Christ).
      LITERAL: Yes HE IS EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE, can be WHATEVER, that is HIS POWER as POWERFUL, and it is easy to nuke mecca if he want to.
      "The LORD is a man of war." – Exodus 15:3, NKJV
      LITERAL: This is saying to punishment of justice for what they did to Israel because Israel was victim and were the owners of the Jerusalem land.

November 30, 2011 at 9:01 pm |
  10. agnostic american

There is a basic incompatibility between Islam's belief in all encompassing doctrines that embrace religion, private and public life and the American principles of liberty of belief and speech and the absolute separation of state and church affairs For Americans belief is a private matter, not so for Islam, where theocracy rules over all human affairs.

November 29, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  11. pilks

The reception in this country I would think would be predictable... Im wondering how the idea of this show would be accepted in a predominately muslim country (All-American Muslim). I doubt very well.

This country was built on christian beliefs even if every person then was christian or not. Dont get all mad when we dont approve when different countries' beliefs incroach on it. I see how countries raised on other beliefs are doing and they are mostly rubble and chaos. The middle east is in my opinion the the worst of all. It has a stigma as being possibly the worst place in the world to live. Why on earth would i want any of that making its way to where I live? I have never been there and see no reason to ever go given what Ive seen in the news my entire life.

November 29, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • Stephanie

Have you ever been to the middle east? If it weren't for the fact that my family is in the US, I would move there in a heartbeat.

November 29, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • ProudMuslim

Many countries in the middle East have more ex-pats than the local population. There must be something good there that so many people want to go there. Millions of people go to the middle east on vacation. Pilks , you are so ignorant.

November 29, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Cave cibum, valde malus est

November 29, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • Ablho

That's exactly why you don't know much about other religions cultures....etc and do not respect them at all. You only see what cable TV shows you and you take it to be your "Bible" about middle east or any region. You consider Africa to be just a place full of hungry people riding elephants. You see middle east as hell on earth. Of course, Israel-Palestine may be hell on earth depending on where you end up. Yet mostly, its going to be more friendly, etc.

November 29, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • vw

yeah she's right. you're pretty ignorant. doesn't it bother you a little to pontificate like that? it should. remember to a small degree you're speaking for all Americans, you're helping shape the way the world views us when you vomit your nonsense all over the internet. so please respect your country and go write in your journal if you must write. otherwise try reading a book, it might help with your problem.

God Bless

November 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • Jack

Proud Muslim...Then why so maby immigarnts from there to here?

November 29, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • sam

@Stephanie – sure. Depending on where you landed, though, you'd change your tune quick.

November 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • TimedUp

There is two muslims, the one that "radicals" and the one that "moderate".
      Moderate Muslim such as Indonesia, Egypt, Kuwait, Lebanon, Turks, and Pakistan.
      Radicals such as Palestine, Syria, Iran, Afghan,West Indonesia and North East Pakistan.
      Go find Muslim, ask them personally to clean this thing and they will probably say to you "we know this but we unsure what Koran said to us because we don't understand the Arabic translation at all, we relying on our imam (priest) on mosque. So when radical imam told us to kill, we will but when moderate imam told us to love, we will. We only pawn on submitting to Allah will whatever its good or bad for the world, if Allah said its good the it'll good for us but the problem we didn't know what Allah want us to do except through them (imam/priest), we only a pawn in submitting faith to Allah"

Christians, on medieval age, had been on this way too, because what? because they didn't know the real bible because firstly they only listened to their priest on Hebrew, Greek, and Latin. This blind method can usually used (plotted) by the enemy to create division (know on network security as middle man- eves drove). But after all know the real message of Jesus Christ, they know that whatever it translate or said, the message only one, it is love, peace, and care.

Islam is the same, soon Muslims will realize the real message of Islam. Some radicals said that all peace will come when all the world is become Islam but look at middle eastern, the Iran, is there a one piece of peace there?

Even Arab Rulers – the ones that think they are direct descendant of prophet Mohammed are so wary to radicals group. That's why they hire Americans to get rid of them.

November 30, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
  12. ProudMuslim

Many Christians talk about how Jesus Christ will bring peace to the world, once and for all. But they often neglect to mention how this world “peace” is obtained. It is only after slaughtering his opponents and subduing “the nations” (the entire world?) under the foot of the global Christian empire that the world will have “peace”. Gill’s Exposition of the Entire Bible explains:

There shall be no more war; horses and chariots shall be no more used in a hostile way; but there shall be perfect peace, all enemies being destroyed, which agrees with Micah 2:3 Zechariah 9:10.

November 29, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris

November 29, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Jack

All a prudent person needs to do is watch those videos above and see where islam has been.. you're all deceivers. We can pick things out of the koran also. i've read some of it.

November 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • TimedUp

Jesus Christ (peace come from Him) saying on New Testament – NT era. Yours picked up verses came before New Testament – NT.

November 30, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
  13. Lucifer's Evil Twin

Brevior saltare c(u)m deformibus mulieribus est vita

November 29, 2011 at 3:00 pm |

Klaatu Nicto Barada.

November 29, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • Kahless

lIj 'oH puq vo' Ha'DIbaH

November 29, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
  14. hippypoet

MORONS BEWARE!!! THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!!!!!

hatred of the unknown will get you nowhere fast...but try learning about something new and a WHOLE NEW WORLD, A DAZZLING PLACE YOU NEVER KNEW, will open up. But why do/learn something new and you can rot in the old and boring! Yup, many fear change...but i don't think its really change they fear but rather a lack of ability to learn that they wish to have remain a sercet!!

November 29, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
  15. vw

well i guess someone didn't like my rant, or maybe because i reported abuse on the basis of ignorance and hatred then replied to that comment i took my own rant down. bummer. no way i can rewrite it. well at least i read it to my insanely hot Muslim girlfriend so i'm sure to get some lovin later on. 😉
    funny and true.

i think most of you need to chill out. and just so ya know, just as a little reminder this is the USA. we don't outlaw religions nor do we give one preference over the other. if you want to live somewhere like that, somewhere that is that anti American, i suggest you move. cuz homey, we don't need your hatred in the country. we've got enough to deal with already.

thanks and God bless the USA

November 29, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • Stephanie

Hear, hear! I've been telling my Muslim boyfriend everything that's been going on too, hahaha.

November 29, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Lost in Translation

Stephanie, I got news for you. Unless you're a Muslim also, your "Muslim boyfriend" is either trying to convert you or he's simply using your little kuffar boo-tay for exercise. Or maybe he's not a true Muslim. Ask him to marry you. See what happens. Let us know.

November 29, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • Stephanie

I'm actually going through the process now, thanks for the congratulations! =)

November 29, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • Stephanie

Also, not that it's ANY of your business, we're celebrating our three year anniversary on the 17th. I had to convince him to use my 'kuffar boo-tay' for exercise, our biggest fight was over whether or not we were going to live in the US or Jordan, him wanting to stay in Jordan, and not once has either of us ever tried to convert the other. Thanks for making me seem like I'm a soft spoken submissive girl. I can assure you, no man alive has the ability to make me change my convictions, Muslim or not.

November 29, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • hippypoet

steph, after that last post... your awesome! the good human is that with a backbone, i am sorry if i offended you earlier.

November 29, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • Stephanie

Naw, you didn't offend me. It was just the constant posting of the same thing. No worries. =)

November 29, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • vw

Lost in Translation and whoever else

my muslim girlfriend would marry me in a heart beat frankly. muslims intermarry ALL the time. go to India and see for yourself. i dated a indian woman briefly who was hindu, her best friend from childhood was muslim.
      while we were spending time together in Bombay we went to a party, a muslim celebration of some kind. virtually every couple there was a mix, mostly hindu and muslim, and there was another west/east couple, newly weds that comprised of and englishman (christian) and a hindu, but that's beside the point.
      the point is what you people don't know about islam could almost fit into the hollywood bowl.
      my points have been strong and thoughtful and not backed by fear. there are as many varieties, kinds, sects and intensities in islam as chistianity and buddhism. who are any of you to say who is and is not a "true muslim"? how rude. who reading this waited until they got married to express their love for another? how many Christians reading this have never broken the commandments, and the golden rule? are you any less a christian for it?

i hope you all get mirrors for Christmas this year so you can start looking in them.

November 29, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • Lost in Translation

vw, so many assumptions, yet all so irrelevant. I'm about as christian as Stuffy's boyfriend (who's going to leave her crying when he takes off to Jordan. Boo Hoo.)

November 29, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • Stephanie

Lolol, you're hilarious. Do you really think your words will affect me and my relationship? You don't understand the definition of love. There's a reason you're sitting here arguing about how much you hate Muslims. I feel sorry for you.

November 29, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
    • Lost in Translation

I could care less about your so-called relationship, however I do think that you're a fool for even entertaining the idea of converting. You're aligning yourself with the world's most misogynistic belief system, and you're happy about it because you're, what, in love? Hubba-Hummas! For that reason alone I have no respect whatsoever for your judgment. I'm sure your parents already did major face-palms. You're a laughing stock and you don't even aware of it because you're in heat.

November 29, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
    • Stephanie

Where did I ever say I was thinking about converting?

November 29, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
    • Lost in Translation

Well, it was either conversion or marriage you were referring to a few lines up, and since most rational people don't think of marriage as a 'process,' as you put it, but do associate conversion as a process, conversion was the logical inference since you didn't specify. According to Siraat-e-Mustaqeem, "Muslim men (in America) are sometimes allowed to marry non-Muslim women who are chaste.."

So naturally I thought that you had to convert.

November 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
    • Stephanie

See, for 'normal' people in 'normal relationships,' marriage isn't a process. But when you have to involve the USCIS, it becomes quite tedious. You could consider me engaged, I suppose, but I'm waiting for the ring.

November 29, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
    • Lost in Translation

Steph, it really doesn't matter what " I consider" your status to be. What's important (only to you, my dear) is if he's asked you, and if so, what answer did you give him. It's really not a gray area, irrespective of Customs and Immigration's involvement. Either you're engaged or you're not. Now, if there are conditions which must be met prior to the question being asked... that's different. But you can't really consider yourself engaged until then, can you?

I have to say this all sounds quite suspect. All kidding aside, please use good judgment.

November 29, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
    • TimedUp

Stephanie, the easy way to asking your BF to swear to Allah name that he will never ever marry others. Than you can see his true "love version." Just don't let him imagination become wild like 3s. Do you know that in Islam, you are allowed to married instantly inside mosque. And then the next day will be divorced inside mosque too. Only for testing others little kuffar boo-tay. I advise you to watch him carefully before that "oneday blessed married" happens.

November 30, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
  16. hippypoet

this is only a test of your local thought process, remember, this is only a test!

why do all you people seem to hate muslims?
    is it because they have more conviction then you?
    is it because they practice what they preach?
    is it because they look different?
    is it because they sound different?
    is it because they wear strange things?
    is it because they are, and this has been proven thru the centuries, smarter then the average christian?
    Or is it because they are not christians?
    WHY?

Oh and same goes for jews...there seems to be a lot of jew hate from christians too...

come now, look inside yourselves, find peace thru knowledge not ignorance.....answer the questions honestly....will shall all be amazed at what we find i'm sure! So many have failed so far – how will you do?

November 29, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • Stephanie

Okay, you've made your point. You're just being annoying now.

November 29, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • hippypoet

no, steph.... the point is far from made... this is an thinking exercise that so far all have failed.... including yourself.

November 29, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • Stephanie

You don't have to spam the comments.

November 29, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • vw

be careful not to try to break down stereotypes by using stereotypes. it cant possibly help

November 29, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • hippypoet

just so ya all know....they are questions designed to make you think... and most responses i have gotten show a complete lack of thought.

First, if anyone says that someone or some group is smarter then you or another group an intelligent person might say "well, being we are all humans and share the same ability to learn we may smart and dumb in equal numbers. Perhaps just not the same fields of study"
      Second – if one can't see these questions as an exercise in thought and rationale then that person has failed the test...placing opinion in the mix as to thwart the morons is just another test to see truly how moronic people can be!
      Feelings get in the way of proper thought and reasoning...one who is made angry has a much harder time doing a simple task when compared to the level headed person!

and you all fail the test!

November 29, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • Alfred E Neuman

Actually Steph , the "poet " made no point at all. There have been more advancements, improvements and inventions developed for the betterment of mankind by Christians and Jews, than by Muslims. The only recent contribution that Muslims have brought to modern society is the suicide bomb vest.And that took them over 1000 years to figure out.

November 29, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • hippypoet

@Alfred ... your an idiot – research prefume and rose water... research what the crusaders brought back... and i mean tech not slaves or the like! The castle building was better then that of europe as well! dude, you are a complete moron.. oh and i did make a point – you missed it!

read my last post!

November 29, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • hippypoet

oh and because you brought it up – check out the baghdad battery.... they had electric power before the 1800's!!! love how truth makes you look so dumb!

November 29, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • captain america

Of the 1000's of actual useful inventions and discoveries that real people have made you counter with rose water and call me dumb, i guess i'll call you a horses ass.

November 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
    • hippypoet

ah, oh its you! captain idiot to the rescue huh... lol. ok i said perfume and rose water – see they are one and the same, the word perfume may be frence but perfume is anhything but... and how about the baghdad battery huh... the first REAL POWER PRODUCING BATTERY was made in the middle east! i only mentioned rose water cause people of your ilk smell of ignorance and could use a perfume bath! stupid racist morons like yourself are useless and a waste of time. See how long you can hold your breath!

November 29, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
    • Ironicus

There are so many things wrong with your post, I'm not even going to spend the time listing them all.
      And that's all the time I have set aside for dealing with really messed-up people posting really messed up posts.
      kthxbye

November 29, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
  17. Believe It

This show is full of moderates. These aren't Muslims! Anyone who only chooses to follow CERTAIN aspects of their religion, are themselves just as phony as the religion they are pretending to follow. If you're going to be religious, follow your 'holy' book to the T, because it is after all, God's word. And the gentleman who is converting, if his parents were true Christians, then they would follow their holy book when it says that their son must be put to death along with those trying to convert him.

follow it ALL, or don't follow it at all. Ridiculous thing, religion.

November 29, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • Tbone1

You can say the same for christians, not alway christian strickly follow the bible. How many phony christian you know, I know alot

November 29, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • Casey

Tbone1 – Well said.

November 29, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  18. Lucifer's Evil Twin

Lucy the troll

November 29, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  19. ProudMuslim

@Jimbo Jim Dude, what possibly can you do to me when you couldn't even protect your butt from your priest when he did you from the back.

November 29, 2011 at 2:38 pm |

LOLOLOL.

November 29, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • Lost in Translation

You know, Stephanie, it's one thing for an ignorant person to make that kind of joke. It's another entirely for someone else to laugh at it. I expect no less from a belligerent Muslim – but you're just an ass hole.

November 29, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • Stephanie

It's hilarious, but thanks for the compliment!

November 29, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Lost in Translation

I'll bet that's what your Muslim boyfriend is thinking too.

November 29, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • Buddy Rich

Rim shot!

November 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm |

Hell yeah!

November 29, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
    • Lost in Translation

Christmas is coming, and you've been a baaaad girl. Coal for you. Or maybe just KY. Umm, hold up on a second on Christmas. You don't 'go there,' do you? Scratch that list. Santa will just send you a goat. Well, actually he'll be sending it to your boyfriend. You'll get a new veil. Shalom. Err... sorry. What exactly do you say during the holidays?

November 29, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  20. KC Kunnanz

Well written piece – better than the show.

In general, it's amazing how many people in this thread have missed the boat. It isn't a matter of which religion is better, or whether you believe in religion at all. It is about the American melting pot embracing all cultures including Muslim cultures as well as muslim Americans embracing things uniquely American. Save the hate for America-haters.

In the words of that "famous" American, Rodney King – "Can't we all just get along?"

November 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm |