home
RSS
Obama delivers very Christian message at Christmas tree lighting
President Obama and his family at the Thursday night tree lighting.
December 1st, 2011

Obama delivers very Christian message at Christmas tree lighting

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - President Barack Obama delivered an unusually stark Christian message at the White House Christmas tree lighting Thursday night, saying Christ's message "lies at the heart of my Christian faith and that of millions of Americans."

"More than 2,000 years ago, a child was born to two faithful travelers who could find rest only in a stable, among the cattle and the sheep," Obama said at the tree lighting ceremony, a longstanding White House tradition.

"But this was not just any child," Obama continued. "Christ’s birth made the angels rejoice and attracted shepherds and kings from afar. He was a manifestation of God’s love for us."

Obama has been more public and specific about his religious beliefs since polls last year showed that only a minority of Americans know he is Christian. Last Easter, Obama got unusually specific about his beliefs on Christ's resurrection at a White House prayer breakfast.

Some conservative Christian leaders have questioned Obama's Christian faith, even though Obama got his start in politics through church-based political organizing and has written about accepting Jesus in his 20s.

Last month, South Carolina Christian conservative leader Bob Jones III told a reporter “I’ve no reason to think (Obama is) Christian."

“Some people will say whatever they think the politically helpful thing would be,” Jones said. “I say, ‘Where is the evidence that he is a Christian?’ ”

"So long as the gifts and the parties are happening, it’s important for us to keep in mind the central message of this season," he said, "and keep Christ’s words not only in our thoughts, but also in our deeds."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Barack Obama • Christianity • Christmas

soundoff (2,184 Responses)
  1. Damian

I wonder if we'll ever elect an atheist or agnostic? Not saying we should just wondering.

December 2, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • Adam

What makes you think we haven't already?

December 2, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • Howard

I think we should. They will be guided by their own principals and not weighed down by how their religion tells them to treat others. They will also act in the best interest of everyone.

December 2, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • Lacking Evidence since 14 Billion BCE

I'm sure we have elected closet atheists. I which we had politicians that could think for themselves and made decisions based on facts and evidence instead of anecdotal telephone-game passed on info.

December 2, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  2. Promise fulfilled

Isaiah 7:14; 9:6: 11:1-5

December 2, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • BRC

And why should anyone believe that any of that came true?

December 2, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

In Jesus many promises of the Old Testament were fulfilled. That is a clear proof for his divine sonship besides the miracles, which he worked.

December 2, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • Promise fulfilled

Because, that is the prophecy that was fulfilled!!

December 2, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
    • Pat Patrick

Barack Obama is a Muslim. He wants to act like a Christian in order to appease and hopefully get Christians to vote for him. This is typical of him. He is a liar and a phony.

December 2, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

lol.
      born of a virgin.....

jesus: guess what? i was virgin born.
      listeners: really?
      jesus: oh yes. totally true, honest. I match the description.
      listeners: wow, ok then, hes the messiah everyone.

December 2, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • BRC

The prophecy was fulfilled because it exists? That is both circular and illogical. The NT claims they were fulfilled by the coming of Jesus. Why should I believe the NT?

December 2, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
    • curious

skeptics-along with your birth certificate did u also take a dna test to show that daddy was indded daddy that is listed on yiour birth certificate?

December 2, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • promise broken

Baa, baa, black sheep,
      Have you any wool?
      Yes sir, yes sir,
      Three bags full;
      One for the master,
      And one for the dame,
      And one for the little boy
      Who lives down the lane.

-MotherGoose 20:5

December 2, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

@Pat Patrick

I guess, if Obama would be a Muslim, he had not assassinated Osama.

I suppose that Obama wants to establish a "Christian" or righteous Islam. However, I have never heard of a wolf, which became a sheep.

One could assume that a Muslim could try to obey Jesus and his teachings, because the Koran acknowledges Jesus as Imam. But the problem is that Muhammad is the highest prophet of Islam (he betters Jesus) and his teachings can be sumed up in one sentence: Slay the Christians. Please explain me how it should be possible that a Muslim obeys Jesus and Muhammad at the same time. Jesus says: "love your Christian brother" and Muhammad says: "Slay the Christians!"

Obama tries to unite fire and water or light and darkness. That is impossible.

December 2, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
    • MarcAA

@Promise fulfilled

"Because, that is the prophecy that was fulfilled!!"

And you know it was fulfiled because it says so in the bible? Isn't that like saying "of course the bible is right, it says so right in the bible"

December 2, 2011 at 12:58 pm |

@Curious,
      Didn't have to, my father and I share multiple visible characteristics indicative of common genetics. Beyond that, I don't really care if he was or wasn't, he was my father, he has been there my whole life, and has always lived his life in a way that I agreed with. YOU can provide no proof of anything about the life of Jesus (and I'm even one of the more accepting Atheists that will give you that he existed, and was even a really good guy). So why should I buy any of the things a book says, when they clearly violate the physical laws of they universe that we can all see?

December 2, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
    • curious

BRC-that is exactly the point dear, just like you will find it even offensive to think of daddy as someone else and would not even consider a dna test to prove that he indeed is your father. It is that same logic that makes the believer believe that the prophecies were fulfilled in NT.

December 2, 2011 at 1:05 pm |

@Curious,
      Wrong on several counts. I would be happy to take a DNA test and have it compared to my fathers. We would both find it to be an interesting scientific experience, and as a way to see if our level of similarity requires genetic connection or could be developed purely through proximity and conditioning (a good study of nature versus nurture). IN the end, he would still be my father (his Dad is not his biological father, doesn't change how much he loves him).

Your statement seems to be that believers want the Bible to be true so badly that they are absolutley unwilling to recognize the fact that it might not be (and realistically, there is no evidence or reason to believe that it is). How is that a good thing?

December 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@Rainer,

Hmmm...might check your scripture again. Jesus didn't say, "Love your Christian brothers." He said, "Love your neighbor as yourself." “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." – Matthew 5:43-48

December 2, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • curious

@BRC-You said you know your daddy well,
      a) he shares some similarities with you,
      b) he cared for you and demonstrated his love, so a dna test is moot for you and is optional just for the heck of it

A believer says they believe in Jesus because
      1) he demonstrated his love for them and saw them through trials.
      2) they know that they are in the image of him everytime they look at themselves, it is very clear about who Jesus is and some of them who doubted have been personally touched by his grace and have seen it for themselves

It is not any different from your belief of who you claim to know is your earthly daddy!

December 2, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • fred

BRC
      Circular reasoning? Finally you have seen the light ! The Bible is circular: In the beginning God made a perfect place for man – man rejected God – God had a plan for redemption – Jesus fulfilled that plan – everyone who believes in Jesus is saved – In my Fathers house are many rooms I have gone to prepare a room for you / a new Heaven and earth with no more suffering is prepared for man ! End of story the circle of life is complete.
      I think you have a problem with math not the Bible
      1+1= 2 is your foundation yet Mathematicians have yet to explain the origins of addition or the truth as to why it works. It works because it does, circular reasoning?
      God has higher math 1+1=1 that's right Jesus said when we believe in Him we are 1 with the Father just as He is 1 with the Father. That was the situation in the Garden when man was one with God and in the new heaven we will again be 1 with God. Proof: 1+1=1 take a water drop and add a water drop to it and you have 1 water drop ! That is why Jesus said when you drink of the living waters you will never thirst again !

December 2, 2011 at 1:35 pm |

@Curious,
      It is very different. My father, and his father, and his father, and even a few iterations back, all existed. There is indisputable proof (in the case of my Dad I have physically touched him, no concerns about the reality of his existence). For Jesus there is no proof outside of the NT, which was written by people, with a rather clear agenda (that has changed several times throughout the years but has always been pretty visible). What I don't understand is why anyone would just inherently and unwaiveringly trusts the men that wrote those books, when there is no evidence, and no reason to.

December 2, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

@DamianKnight

Of course Jesus said that Christians shall love their Christian brothers, but he also said that we shall love everybody else and even our enemies.

Gospel of John, Chapter 15, verse 12: This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

December 2, 2011 at 1:42 pm |

@fred,
      Wow, that was one stunning post. I will try to keep my reply short.
      1) Circular logic is a bad thing. It means something calls on itself for verifcation, and is thereby invalid
      2) 1+1 = 2, a + a = b, # + # = &, the symbols used to represent the values don't matter. Putting something else in a pile makes the pile bigger. That's just the way the univers works. No two masses can occupy one point in space at the same instant in time. There's nothing about it that we don't understand. It's rather simple, and it's not circular reasoning, it's observable proof.

I'm ignoring the rest because for now because it is taken straight from the bible, goes against the observable laws that we can test and show to be "true", and yet you would choose to believe it. Which I don't understand, and is the point of my original comment.

December 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • curious

@BRC
      How much proof is proof? If I want to learn German for sure I am not gonna enrol in a French class? If I am looking to learn about who this Jesus is , I will obviously go to the scriptures.

Like I said beleivers have a personal relationship with Jesus and are able to attest to this fact. you can keep poking them to show you proof and the proof is their LIFE.
      We can keep on going round and round and round about Proof and will end up nowhere. You will never know Christ until such time you have learnt to beleive in him and accept his as your lord and savior. As a skeptic , why don't you give Jesus a try and believe in him and see if you are able to connect with HIM on a personal basis? If you have genuinely tried to know who Jesus is and are unable to connect with him, then it will be upto him to show you he truly cares about you.

You have to make that leap of faith, like every child makes abour their earthly daddy!

December 2, 2011 at 1:53 pm |

@Curious,
      Since you're going to continue to refernce a book that we can agree we will never agree on as proof, here's a different track.

Why should I? I have lived a very happy life not acknowledging the divinity of Jesus, or existance of any god. I have a beautiful wife, a new son, we both have good jobs, I have been happy and successful despite my heathen ways (and yes, when I was younger and rasher I did intentionally mock every god I could think of just as a proof/test of there non-existence). It was immature, but I was a hormonal teenager, that's to be expected. As a mature adult, I can say that nothing in the world around me lends itself to confirming the bible, and I have no need for a spiritual savior in my life, so why would I try to chang emy rather effective way of thinking to force an acceptance of a being that I don't need.

I don't like the taste of beer, my friends used to say that I should drink more of it till I do. Why, when I can just have rum, which I do like?

December 2, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • curious

@BRC

This little exchange with my nephew taught me about how free will starts very young

Me- Johnny will you please eat your veggies
      Johnny(3 years old)-NO, I WON't
      Me-Why Johnny, it is good for your health
      Johnny- Because my brain told ME it is NOT GOOD for ME
      at that time it was end of conversation for me and little johnny but not for his papa who make johnny eat his veggies in his own sweet way.

We can share the gospel and message of Christ with you, but he has very clearly told us that we are not the ones convincing you, that will be in his able care 🙂
      Who knows probably one of these days he will be your heavenly father to who you look up to as well 🙂

December 2, 2011 at 2:15 pm |

@Curious,
      If a god wants me to believe in it, all it has to do is appear in a manner impossible for a human, and say "I exist", and I will believe in gods (though I sitll won't pander to them).

However, if that god says they are the "God" of the bible, and that everything in that book is true, I will recognize the existence of "God" but continue to reject his influence on principle.

December 2, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • curious

BRC- You will never know.

My great great great grandpapy's conversion to becoming a Christian was a personal encounter with the Lord himself. It is history now, but I am so happy that Wikipedia has this very important piece of information listed about his conversion, along with all of his other great works 🙂 not that it makes a difference to my faith(I feel faith is a personal conviction) . Knowing Jesus and being a believer is a personal relationship , but what I am trying to say is- God knows how to get to you! It may be something like my great great grandpappy!!

December 2, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • fred

BRC
      I once thought 0+0=0 was sufficient proof that the Big Bang could not happen yet it was common thought as to the origin of our universe. I also noticed lots of books that attempt to explain God mathmaticaly. My thought is if that proof comes it will be headlines yet, I would never be able to understand the formula let alone follow the logic. The Bible on the other hand retains its simple message such that a child could understand it. The Bible goes further to say God will confound the wise with the things of the foolish. Objective proof of God is not possible. The Bible says God is Love so the best possible equation would be God = Love. Perfect love casts out all fear is a verse that comes to mind, thus love = no fear. When you have complete intamacy with your wife for example there is no fear at that moment. That would the place / position where Jesus says man and God could be one. That is the heaven / Kingdom of God / hope / promised land of OT which was in the beginning and will be again.
      You use symbols to express mathmatical relationships for the physical and the Bible uses symbols to express relationships in the spiritual. I suspect one could ignore everything outside the observable however, most people recognize there is more than that.
      The symbols of the Bible have meaning. Blood for example is the life of an animal and it is easy to observe what happens to life if it is shed regardless how primitive a people or how educated this is obvious. If something does not happen that life is gone. Jesus shed his blood for us and rose on the 3rd day so all who believe on HIm may have life eternal. Simple enough believe in Jesus. The Bible repeats important stuff. There were two criminals on the cross next to Jesus. One acknowledged Jesus and was told today you will be with me in paradise. Not complicated, the cross of Christ will be presented clearly to those God calls. If it has not been presented to you forget it but if it has ponder that moment.
      To the skeptics that demanded poof (a sign) Jesus said none will be given but the sign of Jonah. That happens to be one my favorite books in the Old Testament check it out if you have not read it in a while. Because Nineveh was saved to the sigrin of Jonah.

December 2, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  3. Rainer Braendlein

The prophet Isaiah, Chapter 53 of the Old Testament of the Holy Bible:

1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? 2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. 3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. 4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. 5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. 7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. 8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. 9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. 10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. 11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. 12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

December 2, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
  4. Captn

@yeahalright – the proof that you are a sinner is in the ten commandments. these are god's laws. God is Holy, and can't be in the prescense of sin. If you break one of gods laws, that is sin in his eyes. If you have ever told just one lie, that is a sin. I am guilty of breaking the commandments too.. The law just in itself leaves everyone guilty. God sent Jesus as a baby to be born, so that he would die and provide forgiveness of sins for the whole world. Just because he forgives one's sin doesn't mean they are off the hook. Without repentance and belief, one is still sentenced to death which is Hell.

December 2, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • Damian

What are you babbling about ?

December 2, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • but wait

When he forgives sin, the sin is separated as the East is from the West. The Law leads to death which Jesus came to free us from. Proof you are is sinner isn't in the 10 commandments, it is in the fact you are not Jesus. The law is summed up in Jesus' Commandment to Love because Love is the fulfillment of the Law. Threatening people with hell is not going to win people over. Showing people Love will. I think that is the greatest trick the devil pulled on mankind was to distort Love (God) into a wrathful being to be feared and used as a means of justifying our ego (I'm right, you're wrong, believe ME or you will burn forever). Love cannot exist where fear is. Fear is the opposite of Love.

December 2, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
    • yeahalright

No, Flying Spaghetti Monster is holy. I only worry about sins against him.

December 2, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  5. Cronos

Actually, that's a Moslem message too . He was a manifestation of God’s love for us." - Moslem's believe that too, but notice, he did not say that Jesus Christ is Lord and GOD, which is what Christians believe and what Moslems consider blasphemy

December 2, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • cronos

That is one line from one speech. You can make an absolute judgement about his beliefs based on what he didn't say?! Wow!

December 2, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • cw

Don't even bother trying to reason with people like Cronos. They've made up their mind and nothing will change it.

December 2, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
  6. To all of the 'Saved' Christians

First off I am a Christian. That being said, now I will say this: Who angered Jesus more... the unbelieving/ questioning or the know it all Pharisees who could "see"? How many of you Christians have said your prayer accepting Jesus as you own personal Savior and therefore believe you are ASSURED a place in Heaven? How many of you same Christians are saying that you don't believe Obama's proclamation of Jesus as his Savior? What makes your acknowledgement of Jesus accepted and his not?! How can you say Obama is not a Christian (even though he says he is) because he has done/ not done "this or that", yet you consider yourselves Christian even though you are writing as if it is okay to be judgmental, condemning, argumentative, lying, slanderers online? We all fall short so stop condemning a man who has more responsibility on his shoulders in one day than most of us have in our entire life! Secondly if you did not vote, which statistics show most of you probably didn't, you have no say in any of these matters of government. Third most of us couldn't even begin to be the President so regardless of what you think about him, all we can do is pray that he makes the best decisions he can. And finally, noone is ever happy with the current president, as dumb as that is. People seem to forget that the same President so many are wishing would come back, Bill Clinton, was the same President who was impeached do to his "moral character"! How silly that was! Being a Christian is not a requirement for being the president so what does it matter whether you believe Obama is one or not?! It is of no concern to you!

December 2, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • Carol

Merry Christmas!

December 2, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • To all of the 'Saved' Christians

Merry Christmas!

December 2, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • Brenda Mantooth

I agree completely with the person that gave 3 reasons why we shouldn't judge President Obama about his religion, it's between him and God. It's a very personal thing in the first place and i have always felt that he has always looked to his heart on all major decisons, i think he has proven time and time again that he is a good man and has been a good President in a very bad economic situation.

December 2, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
  7. whocares

who cares what religion Obama believes in? Religion is nothing but the retarded stepchild of phylosophy. I don't want any politicians making decisions based on religion.

December 2, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
    • Colin

good expression "the retarded stepchild of philosophy." I also like "religion is philosophy with Down syndrome."

December 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • Felix The Navidad

There is no good in the grave.

December 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
  8. James

I got sumtin' to say, and I need the world to hear it. I'm a lyricologist. I can rap about anything. Shrink, shrink. Blinkity-blink. Tried to make me think. Wanna go to my sink. And vomit. Clean it up wit' Comet. Earth is my planet. See?

December 2, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
  9. Captn

@Cedar Rapids – who said the doctor is the one causing the illness? I didn't. I said if one HAD a life threatening illness. the doctor didn't give him the illness. In the same way, God did not make us all sinners. Man did that by his and her own free will. They disobeyed god's command, and therefore brought the sinful nature upon all mankind. It's not god's fault. He is not sitting up there just waiting for you to sin so he can send you to hell. he doesn't want you to go there. Jesus said he is the only way to the Father, and he talked about Hell many times and how it does exist, and if one does not repent they will spend eternity there. If hell did not exist, or man was not going to hell, there would have been absolutely no reason for jesus to die for the sins of the world.

December 2, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • Colin

"If hell did not exist, or man was not going to hell, there would have been absolutely no reason for jesus to die for the sins of the world."

what does that even mean? Necessary for him to die? He's god, he makes the rules. And forgive us from what? Adam and Eve was a myth. Thirdly, even if they existed, why would later born people need forgiveness for something done before they were born.

This is one of my core problems with Christianity – it just makes no sense.

December 2, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

Who created the idea of heaven and hell and punishment? in this case the 'doctor', he created the idea that everyone is born already sick. And dont give me the whole man did it, its not god's fault......this all powerful, all knowing deity put something forbidden in the garden, for some bizarre reason never explained, and didnt know they were going to eat from it in the future? give me a break.
      He created the concept of heaven and hell, he created this ridiculous notion of living your life to determine where you go when you die (who knows why he would ever create such a system in the first place, maybe he was bored, maybe he wanted a good laugh, maybe hes just a control freak) and thus he created the illness he them claims to have the cure for.

December 2, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • Felix The Navidad

To the dead nothing makes sense. The rest of us fortunately have the sense of smell and so know where you are coming from. Enjoy the Hell you made for yourself, Colin.

December 2, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
  10. Colin

To Captn and other who are smuggly telling we atheists we will burn in hell. Let's do a little fifth garde math on your assertions.

Approximately one hundred and ten thousand million (110,000,000,000) people have lived on Earth. Given all those who have, over the centuries, rejected the Christian god, or who have otherwise committed mortal sins, there must be literally thousands of millions of people burning for all eternity in the cosmic oven of hell set up by your all-loving god. Some must have been burning for thousands of years by now.

About 100,000 people die every day. There must be a constant stream of thousands of forlorn souls every day into the one way pit of hell your all-merciful god set up and maintains.

But, far, far worse than sheer overwhelming numbers is the extent of the punishment. There is no way out, no parole, no time off for good behavior. You don’t just burn, you burn for all eternity. Billions of people and thousands of daily new arrivals burning for all eternity!

No criminal justice system in the history of the Human race, even those established by the most despotic of tyrants, comes close to matching the unfathomable barbarity of your “infinitely benevolent” god. I don’t have to kill, I don’t have to steal, hell I don’t even have to litter. All I have to do is honestly and reasonably not believe in the Christian god and it will impose a penalty on me an infinite times worse than the death penalty.

Hitler murdered six million Jews in his concentration camps, but compared to your god, Hitler was a bleeding-hearted wimp. A goose-stepping girlie-man. Your all-caring god not only burns billions more than Hitler, Pol Pot and all other dictators and tyrants added up, he keeps doing so to them for all eternity! I would not wish a bad sunburn on a person simply because they have a different religion to me, let alone fry them for ever.

It is also odd that your all-loving god is also all-knowing and knows which souls will go to hell before they do. He even knows it before they are born, and yet he still creates them. He is worse than a psychopathic teenager than breeds litter after litter of kittens so he can slowly roast them in ovens.

That's the problem with using the same god as both the carrot and the stick. It gets really, really silly really quickly.

December 2, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
    • Felix The Navidad

Poor Colin is rotting away from within having bound himself to his own dead spirit and too ignorant to acknowledge the cure. Here he is spewing the same death that entombs him in a futile attempt to be recognized. Twice dead and unable to smell the horrifying stench that is emitting from his own decomposing being.

December 2, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

lol felix, your couldnt get more pretentious if you tried.

December 2, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • MarcAA

No offence Felix, but you sound crazier than a bag of farts, and a little dangerous as well.

December 2, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
  11. Colin

I will not only kill people who do not believe what I say in various ways, such as drowning, stabbing, and horrid diseases, but I also torture them for all eternity. Who am I?

(a) Adolph Hitler
    (b) Joseph Stalin
    (c) Satan; or
    (d) The loving Christian god

December 2, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

Ain't you Muhammad or Allah?

December 2, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • Felix The Navidad

You are Colin with a dead fetid soul rotting your mind and deceiving yourself and anyone who would listen to writings from the tomb of the lost.

December 2, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
  12. Official list of Holidays!

April 1st – Happy Atheists Day!

December 20-28- Happy Hanukkah!

December 25 – Merry Christmas!

Now everyone has their own official holiday, why clamor over another's holiday?

Enjoy your own holidays!

December 2, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • Wish

Wish y'all Happy Hanukkah/Christmas this December!

Athiests wishing you in advance of your April 1st celebrations! -:)

December 2, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • Santa

Atheists-Happy April 1st!

December 2, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

ah yes, the day christians claim is the atheists day.

December 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
  13. Bob

ru4therepublic, as for name calling, talk about pot calling the kettle black, "childlike" one. Well, here's back at you in kind, you typical hypocritical Christian bigot.

Fu-ck off and eat sh!t, you stupid deluded ass-hole.

December 2, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
    • june

And yes, God loves you too.

December 2, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • Lake

wow, way to make yourself seem halfway intelligent..../sarc

December 2, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
    • Bob

Yes, june, god loves you. And he'll torture you painfully forever if you so much as doubt his existence or otherwise put a foot wrong in your short mortail life. Quite the ass-hole of a god it is, that you appear to worship.

So, no thanks. You can keep your sicko Christian supersti-tions to yourself. Quietly, please.

December 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • George

This is what happens when you have no God and no morals.

December 2, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  14. farmerjeani

I have seen no evidence that Bob Jones is a Christian.

December 2, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  15. gayjesus

How can someone say that they don't think someone who claims to be a Christian is not? Isn't that statement in and of itself somewhat anti-Christian? Who is anyone to judge if someone believes in Jesus or not? That is such an obvious political statement that has nothing to do with Christianity.

I think that perhaps if you say that you think someone is not a Christian who claims to be that you yourself have lost any credibility as a Christian.

December 2, 2011 at 11:55 am |
  16. Merry Christmas

Hanukkah = ANTI-Christmas

December 2, 2011 at 11:53 am |
    • BRC

No, technically Christmas is the deriviative of Chanuka multiplyed by a factor of several pagan traditions. I'd write the proper polynomial function for you, but honestly I don't think I can make this text box show the froper symbol for an integral, and I don't think you'd get Christianty(F)= (Chanuka)^1/2*(PaganCelebrations)^3

December 2, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
    • Anglican

Wrong. Two different feast. Read more. Learn.

December 2, 2011 at 12:01 pm |

@Anglican,
      which one's wrong, do I need to change an exponent?

December 2, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
  17. Matt

America is a Christian nation... period!

December 2, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • warmesTghosT

You are completely and patently wrong, period.

Read up on the Treaty of Tripoli, or the writings of our founding fathers like Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and George Washington. They were not Christians, and neither is this country.

But thanks for playing!

December 2, 2011 at 11:55 am |
    • BRC

Wrong comma Do you have actual factual evidence question mark
      Prove it exlamation point
      I now understand why we invented the symbols instead of typing out the words period

December 2, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • me

December 2, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
    • Richard

If you don't think this is a Christian Nation then you have never read the charter of "all 50 state" and you were not present in history class. This "not a Christian Nation" serves only to help people that do not understand nor want this country to succeed. Sometimes the truth just cannot be denied and this is one of those times!

December 2, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • Richard

warmesTghosT, It is clear that you have no understanding of how this country was founded. Whether you are Christian, Atheist or Agnostic it makes no difference. This country was founded on Christian principles, this country is primarily a Christian Nation. You need to do your homework before making comments that make no sense. You can wish all you want for this to be some other type of country but it simply won't work. Hate em or love em, it is a Christian Nation. Saying otherwise will not change a thing!!

December 2, 2011 at 12:11 pm |

@Richard,
      At least you used punctuation, but you still didn't provide any facts. Deism is not Christianity, and it has been widely proven that many of the founding fathers (including a good deal of the best known ones) were Deists. So, until you have FACTS, evidence, words that don't come from the opinions of the religious, that shows when the Declaration of Independence, and the Consttution which don't use any of the words for the Christian "God" or Jesus, and never reference any form of king, political or spiritual, your argument is baseless.

December 2, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

sorry but christianity may be the biggest religion but that does not make it a 'christian' country in the definition you are using

December 2, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • Adam

Hey Matt... That's what I call a Christian Wet Dream!!!

December 2, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • HeavenSent

me, why berate a Christian who is simply telling you His truth? You babbled "You're an idiot....period. Christians are the most self centered, arrogant, hypocritical, narrow minded, me first screw you, creatures on this planet."

Answer: I do believe heathens were written about in Proverbs 14:16 as well as elsewhere throughout His truth.

A wise man fears and departs from evil, but a fool rages and is self-confident.

Amen.

December 2, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • SeiLnoigileR

Love all the bible quotes. You know, if it were written in contemporary times, you 'christians' would likely burn and boycott it because of all the incest, violence and any number of other things you seem to find offensive. You use that 2000+ year old version of 'whisper down the lane' like a bludgeon when it suits you, then use it to console yourselves or justify your own actions in other situations.

What's the difference between a 'religion' and a 'cult'? Nothing but the number of people who believe in it.

December 2, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
  18. Teresa

"In his remarks at Thursday's tree lighting, Obama said that Jesus "grew up to become a leader with a servant’s heart who taught us a message as simple as it is powerful: that we should love God, and love our neighbor as ourselves.""

No He came not to be an example..but to save us... he is no Christian

December 2, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • farmerjeani

Jesus came as an example! He was everything God want's us to be. He was the 'pattern' son. He came to lead us by example, not by endless droning messages from the pulpit. I have no doubt that Obama is a Christian. I am one also. But I have my doubts about you.

December 2, 2011 at 11:59 am |
  19. Justin

because he is a converstive leader that mean he have the right to judge who is a christian and who is not? I thought we follow the Bible because Faith is not universal its personal, If somebody confess with thee mouth that Jesus chirst is lord and they beleive in thier heart. they belong to the family of the believer of Jesus Christ. but its unbelievble to see some people who think they are so righeous and they have the keys of heavan and they are on the authority to judge people faith. Obama Do not need Bob Jones aporval on order for him to be a christian. we have so much christian who are hypocrite and because they are holding a position in church they think they can say and do anything. and so sad we have some christian who does not read Bible for themself do beleive those kind of people.
    yes you may disagree with Obama Policies or they way he talks about his faith or the way he grow up but I dont think you have the authority to come out and say his not a christian or he should not be a christian. because the bible said very clear that dont judge so you will not be judged.
    Here is my qusetion to so Called Bob Jones a converstive Leader what if he was born In a Muslim Family or non religouse family what is the chances of being a christian?

December 2, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • Atheist Hunter

The bible says many will come in my name, do not be deceived. You've been deceived.

December 2, 2011 at 11:51 am |
    • Peter

Atheist Hunter wrote: "You have been deceived".

Listen, my friend: I will make my own judgement. I don't need your proclamations.

December 2, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
    • claybigsby

the bible also says its ok to beat and kill women and children, take slaves, and pillage communities. whats your point?

December 2, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
  20. hawaiiduude

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luyAbDNFrtw&w=640&h=360]

December 2, 2011 at 11:44 am |
    • Rainer Braendlein

It is too funny that the Jews completely deny Jesus. Their historical fault is too obvious.

There is too much historical evidence that the Messiah has yet come. His name is Jesus from Nazareth.

Dear Jews, why do you not recognize your kind Messiah. Do you not understand the Scriptures of the Old Testament, which predicted the coming of Jesus Christ?

December 2, 2011 at 12:05 pm |

Rainer,
      Which piece of scripture was that again?

December 2, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

@BRC

What about Isaiah?

December 2, 2011 at 12:10 pm |

@Rainer,

December 2, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

@BRC

Jes 7,14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

December 2, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • HeavenSent

BRC, after you read that ... you can continue reading Matthew 1:18-25.

Amen.

December 2, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • BRC

I have no intention of reading any of the New Testament until I have read all of the old testament.

December 2, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
    • HeavenSent

BRC, you wrote "@Rainer,
      Wasn't thinking of that one. I was recently reading a chapter that would challenge the claim that Jesus was a King of "David's line", and I wasn't sure if that's the prophecy you were refering to. I have no reason to believe in the divinity of Jesus, but I have no clear argument for whatever thoughts you base on Isiah."

Answer: Read the lineage of Jesus Christ in Matthew 1, beginning with verse 1: “The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

The Bible is HisStory pertaining to Jesus Christ's life from Genesis to Revelation.

Amen.

December 2, 2011 at 1:10 pm |

@HS,
      1) Jesus is supposed to be the son of "God"not Jospeh, so is not of anyone's line
      2) After David committed adultery, "God" revoked his promisses, and instead promised David that he would see everything lost
      3) Why would the OT (more then half of the bible) have anything to do with Jesus?

December 2, 2011 at 1:18 pm |