Obama delivers very Christian message at Christmas tree lighting
President Obama and his family at the Thursday night tree lighting.
December 1st, 2011

Obama delivers very Christian message at Christmas tree lighting

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - President Barack Obama delivered an unusually stark Christian message at the White House Christmas tree lighting Thursday night, saying Christ's message "lies at the heart of my Christian faith and that of millions of Americans."

"More than 2,000 years ago, a child was born to two faithful travelers who could find rest only in a stable, among the cattle and the sheep," Obama said at the tree lighting ceremony, a longstanding White House tradition.

"But this was not just any child," Obama continued. "Christ’s birth made the angels rejoice and attracted shepherds and kings from afar. He was a manifestation of God’s love for us."

Obama has been more public and specific about his religious beliefs since polls last year showed that only a minority of Americans know he is Christian. Last Easter, Obama got unusually specific about his beliefs on Christ's resurrection at a White House prayer breakfast.

Some conservative Christian leaders have questioned Obama's Christian faith, even though Obama got his start in politics through church-based political organizing and has written about accepting Jesus in his 20s.

Last month, South Carolina Christian conservative leader Bob Jones III told a reporter “I’ve no reason to think (Obama is) Christian."

“Some people will say whatever they think the politically helpful thing would be,” Jones said. “I say, ‘Where is the evidence that he is a Christian?’ ”

In his remarks at Thursday's tree lighting, Obama said that Jesus "grew up to become a leader with a servant’s heart who taught us a message as simple as it is powerful: that we should love God, and love our neighbor as ourselves."

"So long as the gifts and the parties are happening, it’s important for us to keep in mind the central message of this season," he said, "and keep Christ’s words not only in our thoughts, but also in our deeds."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Barack Obama • Christianity • Christmas

soundoff (2,184 Responses)
  1. Gopherit

As a Christian I wish that all of the politicisation of being Christian would be scrapped and politicians would concentrate upon issues without dragging the issue of "faith" into it. A result of the current situation is that being a Christian or a person of "faith" has become a political football, which diverts people's attention from the problems facing the U.S. and at the same time detracts from the purpose which Jesus intends regarding faith and following him. It even hijacks the entire situation because of non and anti-Christian motives.

The context of Jesus being born was a society which was hostile to him, with the religious and political establishments both opposing him and his mission and message. Jesus did not claim any political privilege and said nothing about the Roman government of hiis time other than that people should pay their taxes.

December 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

Amen to that.

It is also very clear to me that most of the politicians spouting this theological pedantry are the most massively corrupt and disgustingly amoral human beings I have ever observed.

Newt "The Born Again Catholic" Gingrich, serial adulterer, liar, flip flopper and phony.

Herman "The Revivalist Preacher" Cain, serial adulterer, liar and pizza boy.

Michele "Crazy Eyes" Bachmann who believes we can pray away the gay.

Rick "Frothy Anal Lube" Santorum who believes gays are the #1 threat to our country.

Rick "Oops" Perry, George Bush III

I wish I were a bit older and had seen an America I could be proud of. I'm midway in my twenties and have very little pride left in this country, be the venue domestic or foreign.

December 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@warmesTghosT: I'm in my 40's. The Clinton years were pretty good times.

December 2, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • jim

Maybe you would like to define Christian. My Christian faith suggest that I shout his name from the roof top due to what he has saved me from. My Christianity suggest that I should not be more passionate about politics or ball games than about my God. In society today we use the word Love loosely perhaps we are doing the same with Christian. I will not push my faith upon you but I will not be ashamed of it either whether a politician, lawyer or whatever.

December 2, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

I'm old enough to remember the Clinton years, and they were indeed good. Unfortunately I was too young then to care about politics.

December 2, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • gooddaysir

@warmsT – Grow up and get a job you bum. This country is a whole lot better than other countries. Go live somewhere there is zero freedom or oppression then come back to the states. Dumb-as.s

December 2, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

gooddaysir – well thought out and reasoned reply, thank you for that.

I have a job. It pays decently but I wouldn't mind making a bit more.

Please tell me, on what basis are you insulting my intellect? Simply because I view the atrocities that the United States commits daily as immoral? What is there about this country that makes you so proud of it? Our foreign policy of sending drone killing machines to murder Afghan children? Our wonderful government that's running so smoothly and so easily correcting the mistakes of the Bush years? Our civil liberties that allow for American citizens to be detained without trial by jury of their peers, or that deny gay citizens the same basic, inalienable rights as straight ones?

Dismissed, troll.

December 2, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
  2. Dana

Those who doubt his Christianity should check to make sure there is not a log jammed in their eye. And if you don't understand what I am talking about, perhaps you should consider reading the Bible.

December 2, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Binky42

I doubt his Christianity based on several statements he'd made over the years, especially before he became president.

December 2, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  3. Binky42

Obama is a closet atheist. The nearer we get to election day the more Christian he will pretend to be. I'm an atheist, and nothing makes me more furious than someone who fakes their religion to pander to voters.

December 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • SeanNJ

If we have to subvert them from within, so be it.

December 2, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • Binky42

So, you're okay with a president lying to the nation? And your main goal in life is to try and turn people away from their faith? I'm so sick of being labeled an intolerant atheist just because of the moronic statements people like you make. If you're happy without faith, then just live your life. Why do you have to criticize others who do have faith? Live and let live.

December 2, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

America will not elect an open atheist. That is why he's (probably) lying.

The man is by far the most qualified candidate for the position and I support (some of) what he does.

And Christians do not live and let live, and therefore neither will I. Sorry.

December 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • navycorpsman

If a man says he'd a Christian, why not take him at his word. What's it to you?

December 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • Goddog

I am an Atheist and I agree. I will add that I wish it would be required that any President must be an Atheist. we are the only ones who don't have an invisible friend telling us what to do. I voted for Obama. This makes me upset and angry because we are not a Christian nation! We need to tell the Christions to get their celebrations off of the coattails of the pagan ones they kidnapped.

December 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Binky42: Can't figure out to whom you were referring, me or OP? Either way, I doubt you're being labeled "intolerant" because of something someone else has said. If you are, then I'd guess the person doing the labeling is one of those individuals who is silly enough to have faith in the first place.

December 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Binky42: Ahhhh, nevermind. You're not an atheist at all. You're a christian pretending to be an atheist that hates atheists pretending to be christians.

I think the universe just collapsed in on itself.

December 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • catholic engineer

Whether he's a closet atheist or not, he's probably been a practical atheist at times. To play (or work) at politics is to dance with the devil.

December 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
  4. NavyAirVet

I find it fascinating that liberals think everyone who disagrees with them is a bigot and ignorant. What makes them think that they are so divine? All humans have different opinions when it comes to politics and the old you're "a racist, and a bigot" is a weak retort. We know more about the Republican nominees lives than we do a sitting President. His inexperience and lack of leadership skills is going to be his downfall, no matter who runs in 2012. He's supposed to represent all Americans and he and his supporters want to divide our nation and try to belittle half the population. Bad leadership is not a black and white issue! Where is the hope he promised?

December 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • SeanNJ

I don't think you're a bigot, but I do think you're ignorant.

Wanna hear something funny? You talk about Obama's experience, but he's now got more presidential experience than all the GOP candidates combined.

December 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • Binky42

As a liberal, I agree with you 100% – but you can't assume all liberals think that way.

December 2, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

I do not think that "everyone who disagrees with me is ignorant or a bigot". I do believe that those who identify themselves as "conservatives" are often misguided and close minded on particular subjects, generally politics and religion. I don't understand what it is about the past that you are trying to "conserve", unless its the growth of the middle class that occurred post WW2 up until Reagan introduced his trickle down economics into our politics. Conservative politics (read: socially conservative and fiscally very liberal with our military) are prime examples of failed policy.

Tell me, how is he "belittling" half the population? What do you base your opinion on? What news sources are you reading? My guess would be Fox...

December 2, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  5. Duran roots

Kudos to Obama!

December 2, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  6. matt

Oh PUKE! I hope this wasn't in response to the phony crap manufactured by Fox about his Thanksgiving message.

December 2, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  7. Rainer Braendlein

From the Sermon on the Mount, Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 7:

7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? 10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him? 12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

The Gospel of Luke makes it clear that by the expression "good gifts" Jesus means the Holy Ghost. Thus, Jesus encourages us to ask God the Father for the Holy Ghost.

Gospel of Luke, Chapter 11:

12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

The Holy Ghost will help us to love our brothers, our neighbours and even our enemies. This is the law and the prophets.

Obama tells us the law again (love God and your neighbour). Obama is a least that advanced that he has recognized the divine essence of the law, which is Christian love. However, he doesn't tell us, how we get able to do the law.

Jesus gives us the answer: We have to pray that God gives us the Holy Ghost. Only by the support of a divine person we can overcome our selfish ego. That is true. May God give us the Holy Ghost, the Ghost of divine love.

December 2, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

What about me, Rainer? When I was a child I did pray to God (YHWH really, as I'm ethnically Jewish) but I never felt the faith. I'm 26 now and I still do not believe. Why? Why won't God let me feel his Spirit move through me?

I am being completely serious. If God wants me to love and accept Him, why did he make me an atheist?

December 2, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • VET

WarmesTghosT- Judaism is not an ethnicity, nor is any other religion. But you said you are serious, so I'll give you a completely serious answer. And know it's only my opinion as a Christian. God does want you to love and accept Him. If you believe He made you an atheist, maybe it's because He knows you need to have complete freedom of choice in the matter. I suggest you just keep trying. Open yourself up completely. Maybe go to different churches and hear what is being said. I am sure that sooner or later you will find Him. He has already found you and looks over you always. Merry Christmas.

December 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • catholic engineer

@warmesTghosT : "Why won't God let me feel his Spirit move through me?" Actually, some of the greatest saints felt the same thing. St. John of the Cross and Theresa of Avila described it as the Dark Night of the Soul.
      St. Ignasius wrote about "spiritual desolation" in which God seems to have withdrawn from a soul. The purpose of this is so that a person can become aware of his nothingness without God. Based on all this, I could sometimes call myself an atheist.

Appologies for my earlier exchange with you.

December 2, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

Judaism is both an ethnicity and a religion.

I have studied the Torah, the Talmud and the Bible extensively (and even the book of Mormon lol) and all I see are myths and fables that don't resonate with me. I like Jesus' message, but every single day I'm inundated with Christians acting the complete and utter opposite of what he preached.

Jesus never said anything about gays. Why won't you let them be married happily like you can be?

Jesus never mentioned abortion. Why won't you let women get safe medical procedures that are going to occur regardless of legality?

And ultimately, I find it impossible to believe that God loves me, cherishes my soul but will damn me to eternal torment simply for seeing the logical fallacies and inconsistencies of "His" book.

I have no ill will for you, catholic engineer, I enjoy civil discourse on theology because it fascinates me.

But I am just afraid I am incapable of ever joining your ranks. Sorry.

December 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

It is a historical fact that Jesus died for the sins of the whole mankind, even for yours. This fact doesn't depend on your personality or particular person or personal conditions. This is a general truth, which is valid for every human being.

If you want to experience the power of the gospel, you have to receive sacramental baptism according to Acts 2:

36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. 37 Now when they heard this, they were pric-ked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

If you really want to get delivered, God will deliver you.

December 2, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Yo!

"It is a historical fact that Jesus died for the sins of the whole mankind, even for yours."

The bible is NOT a historical document so what proof do you have to proof that is actually a real fact, especially since there is NO proof of your god.

December 2, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

Rainer, there is no historical or archaeological evidence that Yeshua the Christ ever existed. The same can be said for Moses, the Exodus, the Flood, Genesis...the list goes on and on.

Why would I be baptized if I don't believe? Dunking me in water and proclaiming me "saved" do not make it so. I literally don't believe that Jesus Christ ever even existed. I can't. I tried when I was a kid, way before I amassed the knowledge and experience I have today. It didn't take. So why does your all loving and compassionate God want me to burn forever? Just because I think for myself?

If God created the entire Cosmos in all its glory and radiant wonder, I don't think He'd be anywhere near as close minded as the Abrahamic religions depict him to be.

December 2, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

The arrival of Christ was predicted by the Old Testament prophets of Israel. In Jesus from Nazareth all the predictions on Christ got fulfilled. The man Jesus had no possibility to deceive. For example, how should he have influenced his birth by a virgin? How should he have influenced his place of birth, which was Bethlehem?

Furthermore Jesus worked extraordinary great miracles, which proved his divine sonship.

The apostels of Christ, which drafted the New Testament, gained no earthly benefits by their new message. On the contrary, they were persecuted and slain. Why should someone invent a story, which leads to his personal destruction?

December 2, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • catholic engineer

@warmesTghosT: If there is a heaven I can picture God standing next to Diogenes at the gate. When you come in God tells Diogenes "Here is the honest man warmesTghosT you've been looking for."

December 2, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

Simply repent.

Of course, you should only get baptized, when you consider the gospel as a true message. Otherwise your baptism would be blasphemous.

Ain't I am right that you fear some consequences of baptism for your personal life. Indeed, if you don't want to abandon certain misbehaviours, it is better when you don't get baptized.

Please be aware that Judgement Day approaches and if you die today you subjectively will meet your creator today (objectivley maybe in some thousand years).

Repent and believe and you will get saved.

December 2, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
  8. J.W

It seems like many people on here say that Obama cannot be a Christian because the way he conducts himself is not very Christian-like. I would like a few examples of this.

December 2, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • J.W

Hmm guess Ill never know.

December 2, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • catholic engineer

I for one can't give you any examples. But based on the President's speech, he might be a better Christian than even St. Peter. What's the worst thing a CHristian could do? Deny Christ. There's been an idea going around that being Christian means being the sweetest, most charitable, most congenial person around – somone who never yields to temptation or anger. Christianity is for human beings who falter, and resolve, as often as it takes, to turn to God every day.

December 2, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

J.W. – I agree that he is probably not a Christian but rather a closet atheist who realizes that it is political suicide in this country not to profess some variant of faith in the divine.

If you want examples – his detention of Bradley Manning, his extension of the Patriot Act, his militaristic foreign expansionist policies, his refusal to close Gitmo/Guantanamo Bay...shall I go on? I'm reasonably certain Yeshua (good ole JC himself) would not act much like Obama has.

Ultimately though I don't care if he's a Christian or a Muslim or a Jew or an atheist. He's the best candidate for the job, and he has my vote.

December 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Dave

That's because when all of the people that dislike Obama actually look at what he wants to do, for example, take care of the poor, the sick, and the elderly, they realize those are Christian beliefs. Other than his name, they've never been able to point out any legitimate reason to not believe he's a Christian. It shouldn't matter, anyway, after all, the Bill of Rights guarantees freedom of religion, not freedom of Christianity.

Personally, I don't care what religion a politician is since I believe in the separation of church and state, so it shouldn't matter. Politics and religion mix as well as oil and water.

December 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • fred

Did you ever sign up for that BSF Bible class? They are studying ACTs this year so you could see how the church began. As to Obama he was once a Christian and baptized his kids that way so there is a good chance. As with most of us I spend more time repenting these days.

Here is a copy from another Post as to Obama if you missed it:
      In Obama’s book THE AUDACITY Of HOPE
      * He wrote “I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.”
      In Obama’s book, DREAMS OF MY FATHER..
      * “I ceased to advertise my mother’s race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites”
      * “That hate hadn’t gone away,” he wrote, blaming “white people — some cruel, some ignorant, sometimes a single face, sometimes just a faceless image of a system claiming power over our lives.”However, while campaigning in Kansas, Obama frequently emphasized that his mother was white, and that he had grown up in a predominantly white world.
      * (Obama) vowed that he would “never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn’t speak to my own. It was into my father’s image, the black man, son of Africa, that I’d packed all the attributes I sought in myself, the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandel

December 2, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • fred

That is BS Obama himself hardly gave a penny to the poor from all his sudden wealth. Now that he up for relection I am looking forward to a change of heart from him and see him giving to the poor. It does not take a gererous heart to take money out of my pocket and give it someone else ...............that is called a theif.

December 2, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
  9. Rahula

All I can say is "Thank God for giving us the Buddha!"

December 2, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  10. Handofdoom

I ' m NOT criticizing President Barack Obama's Christian message , I can't see anyway being a Christian looking at the performance of being in Office !

December 2, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  11. Reality

Obama says abortions should be "safe, legal and rare" but says nothing about the basic tenet of proper human conduct i.e. Thou Shalt Not Kill/Murder. And where is BO's sense of indignation that abortions are not rare and that these acts of horror demean the Golden Rule considering that he says he is a Christian. And where is his sense of indignation that women who use the Pill do not use it properly resulting in an failure rate of 8.7% as per the Gu-ttmacher Inst-itute statistics. Using these and other Gu-ttmacher Insti-tute data, this failure of women to use the Pill properly results in ~1,000,000 unplanned pregnancies every year. And the annual abortion rate in the USA is?? ~1,000,000 as per the CDC.

And do males use co-ndoms properly? No, as said failure rate for this birth "control" method is 17.4%!! Again using Gu-ttmacher data, said failure rate results in another ~1,000,000 unplanned pregnancies every year.

And from the CDC-2006

"Se-xually transmitted diseases (S-TDs) remain a major public health challenge in the United States. While substantial progress has been made in preventing, diagnosing, and treating certain S-TDs in recent years, CDC estimates that approximately 19 million new infections occur each year, almost half of them among young people ages 15 to 24.1 In addition to the physical and psychological consequences of S-TDs, these diseases also exact a tremendous economic toll. Direct medical costs as-sociated with S-TDs in the United States are estimated at up to $14.7 billion annually in 2006 dollars."

More problems:

"Yes, or-al se-x is se-x, and it can boost cancer risk-

Here's a crucial message for teens: Or-al s-ex carries many of the same risks as va-ginal s-ex, including human papilloma virus, or HPV. And HPV may now be overtaking tobacco as the leading cause of o-ral cancers in America in people under age 50.

"Adolescents don’t think or-al s-ex is something to worry about," said Bonnie Halpern-Felsher professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco. "They view it as a way to have intimacy without having 's-ex.'"

Bottom line: BO is still not aware of the basics of birth control and still remains the leader of the Immoral Majority and will remain so until he becomes a true Christian and one who respects and PROTECTS HUMAN LIFE IN ALL ITS FORMS and who at least emphasizes the proper use of birth control methods!!!

December 2, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • SeanNJ

You are an odd bird.

December 2, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

Good Lord in Heaven...

The man ran for President, not for preacher. I'd debunk your post but honestly responding to theists all day is wearing me down. I will simply say that none of these arguments about "who's a real Christian" were being bandied about when Bush went gallivanting off into the desert to kill a few hundred thousand arabs. Ah but they're not Christians so I guess their souls don't matter.

I addressed abortion in a previous post, if you're really interested you can look through the last few pages for my thoughts on it.

And how in the world is it Obama's fault that kids are getting STDs? Was it Bush's fault during his presidency?

What are you smoking and can I have a puff?

December 2, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • Really?

Think you've missed the whole point of Christianity.

December 2, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • Reality

Som elements of our War on Terror and Aggression:

-Operation Iraqi Freedom- The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US Troops killed in action, 3,480 and 928 in non combat roles as of 09/15/2011/, 102,522 – 112,049 Iraqi civilians killed as of 9/16/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, land mines and bombs of various types, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

– Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan: US troops 1,385 killed in action, 273 killed in non-combat situations as of 09/15/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed mostly due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror,

– Sa-dd-am, his sons and major he-nchmen have been deleted. Sa-dd-am's bravado about WMD was one of his major mistakes. Kuwait was saved.

– Iran is being been contained. (beside containing the Sunni-Shiite civil war in Baghdad, that is the main reason we are in Iraq. And yes, essential oil continues to flow from the region.)

– North Korea is still u-ncivil but is contained.

– Northern Ireland is finally at peace.

– The Jews and Palestinians are being separated by walls. Hopefully the walls will follow the 1948 UN accords. Unfortunately the Annapolis Peace Conference was not successful. And unfortunately the recent events in Gaza has put this situation back to “squ-are one”. And this significant stupidity is driven by the mythical foundations of both religions!!!

– – Fa-na–tical Islam has basically been contained to the Middle East but a wall between India and Pakistan would be a plus for world peace. Ditto for a wall between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

– Timothy McVeigh was exe-cuted. Terry Nichols escaped the death penalty twice because of deadlocked juries. He was sentenced to 161 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole,[3][7] and is incarcerated in ADX Florence, a super maximum security prison near Florence, Colorado. He shares a cellblock that is commonly referred to as "Bombers Row" with Ramzi Yousef and Ted Kaczynski

– Eric Ru-dolph is spending three life terms in pri-son with no par-ole.

– Jim Jones, David Koresh, Kaczynski, the "nuns" from Rwanda, and the KKK were all dealt with and either eliminated themselves or are being punished.

– Islamic Sudan, Dar-fur and So-malia are still terror hot spots.

– The terror and tor-ture of Muslims in Bosnia, Kosovo and Kuwait were ended by the proper application of the military forces of the USA and her freedom-loving friends. Ra-dovan Karadzic was finally captured on 7/23/08 and is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violations of the law of war – charges related to the 1992-1995 civil war that followed Bosnia-Herzegovina's secession from Yugoslavia.

The capture of Ratko Mladić: (Serbian Cyrillic: Ратко Младић, pronounced [râtkɔ mlǎːditɕ], born 12 March 1943[1][2]) is an accused war criminal and a former Bosnian Serb military leader. On May 31, 2011, Mladić was extradited to The Hague, where he was processed at the detention center that holds suspects for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY).[3] His trial began on 3 June 2011.

– the bloody terror brought about by the Ja-panese, Na-zis and Co-mmunists was with great difficulty eliminated by the good guys.

– Bin Laden was executed for crimes against humanity on May 1, 2011

– Ditto for Anwar al-Awlaki on September 30, 2011

December 2, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Reality

Why "Christian?" Obama will win and why the Christian Right no longer matters in presidential elections:

Once again, all the conservative votes in the country "ain't" going to help a "pro-life" presidential candidate, i.e Rick Perry, Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman, Michele Bachmann, Herman Cain, Ron Paul, Newt Gingrich or Rick Santorum, in 2012 as the "Immoral Majority" rules the country and will be doing so for awhile. The "Immoral Majority" you ask?

The fastest growing USA voting bloc: In 2008, the 70+ million "Roe vs. Wade mothers and fathers" of aborted womb-babies" whose ranks grow by two million per year i.e. 78+ million "IM" voters in 2012.

2008 Presidential popular vote results:

69,456,897 for pro-abortion/choice BO, 59,934,814 for "pro-life" JM.

And all because many women fail to take the Pill once a day or men fail to use a condom even though in most cases these men have them in their pockets. (maybe they should be called the "Stupid Majority"?)

(The failures of the widely used birth "control" methods i.e. the Pill and male condom have led to the large rate of abortions ( one million/yr) and S-TDs (19 million/yr) in the USA. Men and women must either recognize their responsibilities by using the Pill or condoms properly and/or use other safer birth control methods in order to reduce the epidemics of abortion and S-TDs.)

December 2, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  12. Walleye46

Only the IGNORANT watch Fox News. Why do I say that? Because if that is the ONLY place where you get your information from then you truly are ignorant. Go to the Internet and do some research, watch PBS, read the newspaper. Don't just get your info from one source and believe it to be true. After doing all your homework (instead of watching it from one bigoted source) then FORM YOUR OWN OPINION based on the homework you did.

December 2, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • Brandon

This. Please, as a conservative, FoxViews is SO not enough to get your whole basis for current events and opeds. I encourage my fellow conservative friends to take this advice and even read many of the liberal sites! You have to use good judgment and decipher what is liberal propaganda and what is the truth.

December 2, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  13. vel

it's always funny to see how Christians don't know their bible or the supposed natal story of their savior. They all seem to get it from manger scenes that mangle the stories in Matthew and Luke which don't match at all. Not much of a divinely inspired book if it an't even get these stories straight. The magi were not there at the birth, did M&J go to egypt or not, shepherd aren't in the fields in winter. Mark and John don't even bother. and there is that "apocryphcal" book that has young JC making clay birds and making them live and raising the dead. Gee.

December 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • dothefeftno

I guess you think the other 2.1 billion Christians are wrong and you are the only one who has the right interpretation...my interpretation of you is Jacka$$

December 2, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • ivory67

He wasn't born in the winter. But don't let details get in the way...

December 2, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • Dave

No, he wasn't born in the winter, he was born in the summer, if he was born at all. The reason why we celebrate Christmas in December is because the church found it easier to convert people by assimilating their holidays, in this case, the pagan holiday of Yule.

December 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Dave

@dothefeftno, a large percentage of the earths population once believe the Earth was flat and the center of the universe, it didn't make them right. And, by your logic, I guess that means that the other 5 billion people are completely wrong, even though they outnumber the 2.1.

December 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • fred

That is why not all the 25,000 manuscripts were included in the Bible. There is no contridiction and it is Divine!

@Dave "if he was born at all" , ya know it is hard to take you serious when you know all reputable historians acknowledge some jewish teacher called Jesus was executed by Pilate for being a rabble rouser.
      Ha ! the scientific community now believes the Universe is flat...................the Bible calls it an expanse or canopy over the earth.

December 2, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • dotheleftno

If you do read the Bible which if you do you have failed miserably...you can figure out he was born is Sept in the fall, but In 274 A.D., the Romans designated December 25 as the birthday of the unconquered sun, being the time when the sun begins noticeably to show an increase in light, resulting in longer daylight hours. By 336 A.D., the church in Rome was adapting this festival, spiritualizing its significance as a reference to Jesus Christ and calling it the ‘Feast of the Nativity of the Sun of Righteousness.’ Attempting to Christianize and incorporate the pagan traditions of antiquity, the church in Rome adopted this midwinter holiday celebrating the birth of the sun god as one of its own observances, somewhat changing its significance, but retaining many customs of the pagan festival. As the Roman church spread its influence religiously and militarily, this holiday of December 25 became the most popular date in Christendom to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. A special mass was established for Christ, hence, the name, ‘Christmass,’ abbreviated ‘Christmas.’”

December 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • dotheleftno

dave..lets just count everybody then ...even if they have no religion at all...the fact is Christianity makes up a third (33%) of all the religions in the world learn how to do the math...but your intelligence is really showing now

December 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
  14. JohnQuest

shoozey, Thank you, for your reply

Obamacare-impossible to pay for, and who in their right mind would want to hand more control to the government?

Not impossible to pay for (we spend {borrow} more money a month for all of our wars than what this will cost). I didn't hear these same concerns when the last Pres. signed Plan B?

Botching foreign policy every time he steps out of the White house

What are you talking about I don't agree with everything he's done but under his watch several Dictators and terrorist are now gone.

Bankrupting the country in three short years. Yes, Bush had a hand in this as well, with his LIBERAL spending, but Obama is Bush on Steroids.

I disagree, More Jobs have been created under this current Pres. in three years than the last one in eight years. The Stock Market has grown more under this Pres. and more time and money is going into research and development.

Taking no action on immigration.

I agree (except to stop certain states from destroying our const-itution) I think he needs to show some leadership on this. I'm afraid if he does you will not be happy with his decisions.

All in all by your own standards he is doing a better job than the last Pres.

December 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • Neil

Your response is not only unfounded but total bankrupt of education, thoughtfulness, data, and logic. Even without the wars included in his history, he grew the debt from nearly paid off to 4 trillion. The wars have cost us so far over 3 trillion dollars and mounting.

The loss of jobs due to that callous and unresponsive vice president cost us more. The cost of unfunded RX legislation and education programs sent us further.

So please do not talk to me about what a bad president we have today. Had the republicans had one bit of feeling for the citizens, the problems of the health bill would also have been addressed.

Please educate yourself before you spew nonsense

December 2, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Neil: JohnQuest agrees with you. Hes was refuting points from a previous post. He just did a poor job delineating between his thoughts and those to which he was responding.

December 2, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Neil, I appreciate your outrage I feel the same (and I did do a very bad job of separating the comments).
      I would go so far as to say that the last "real" Pres. we had was Ike, I do not agree with all of his policies but he doesn't appear to have been in the pockets of Corporate America.

December 2, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  15. SeanNJ

Did anyone else see that article about the poll that showed that watchers of Fox News were less well-informed than people who didn't watch news at all? It was pretty funny. Can't remember where it was, but it should be relatively easy to find with a web search.

December 2, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • Debbie

I am a watcher of Fox News, along with CNN, and other local media news - I also read at least 3 newspapers daily, the Wash Post, the Wash Times and Wall Street Journal - along with other monthly periodicals dealling with news, etc. I also was a Democrat until last year - pro-union, marched in protests during the 70's, etc., but I have learned a little more than my days in college and in life - so, your statement shows your ignorance and probably your age. And to warmesTghosT you think the same and SeanNJ and think you are so smart and know everything - I try to listen to views and think on my own and decide on my own, but I can tell you I have had more than 10 Democrats from friends and family tell me that I didn't vote for Obama or dislike him because I am a racist - PLEASE - just divorced my black husband after 27 years (not because he is black, but because he now lives with a white blond, I am a brunette) and have a daughter who is is mixed - so that crap is just what it is - CRAP!

December 2, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Debbie: With all that reading, watching and marching, I'm surprised you've had much time for anything else. As for your marital situation, I don't understand how that plays any role at this whatsoever. Couple that with the fact that at no point did I accuse anyone who disapproves of Obama's performance of being a racist.

But since you've decided to chime in on the topic, and because Military MOM hasn't answered, I would like specific, verifiable examples of how Obama is "destroying our country from the inside out."

Aaaand, go...

December 2, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • jk

Debbie, Debbie, Debbie...Sean didn't say anything about your intelligence. He asked about the article that referenced your intelligence. Don't be so peranoid that people think your not the sharpest tool in the shed, just because you watch fox news.

December 2, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@jk: No, she's right that I'm betting she's not the sharpest bulb in the toolbox. I'm just annoyed that she assumed I was calling her a racist too. 😉

December 2, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  16. Military MOM

warmesTghosT said: "As stated earlier (by Gumby I believe) much of the hate thrown at Obama is thinly veiled racism disguised as more politically correct forms of discrimination."

I am so sick and tired of these stupid "racism" claims that I could scream! I don't care if the man is purple, my distain for Obama is based solely on the fact that he is destroying our country from the inside out. Those that do not recognize that he has done much more harm than good are either blind, ignorant or both!

December 2, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • kayray

No he isn't. There were people screaming the same thing when Bush was president but we are still here. Chicken Little ring any bells?

December 2, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

Congressional Republicans are furthering the decline of our nation that was begun by George Bush Jr.

Obama is trying mightily to patch a sinking ship while his political counterparts do their best to drill holes in the hull.

Turn off Fox News and do some research on your own. The truth is out there, you just have to open your eyes.

December 2, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Military MOM: You said, "my distain for Obama is based solely on the fact that he is destroying our country from the inside out."

Examples, please.

December 2, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • shelley farrell

you're stupid. Plain and simple.

December 2, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • RL

@Military MOM: Why do people like you hide behind lies that you teach yourself to believe. President Obama is not perfect, but on average has done NOTHING to put this country in a worse situation. Things would have really become dire if he had not put in place the policies that he has championed. Again, he is not perfect, but the snowball that Bush started was mitigated in size by President Obama and his Administration. Things that would have helped the people even more were blocked by undercover racists politics (mostly Republican, and some Independent and Democrat, as racism and bias exists in all parties, ethnicities, and beliefs). Just be honest enough to say what you believe...

December 2, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Military MOM, I don't know nor do I care how you feel about the Pres. racial status, but were you from 00 – 08, can you really say that the current Pres. is worse than the last one?

December 2, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  17. NotJustAnotherStephanie

What I dislike the most about America, is how intertwined religion has become with the perceived success of our elected officials. Religion does not automatically make you a good person. People who are men/women of faith can be just as corrupt as those who don't believe. Religion does NOT have a place in politics or the government.
    We should judge his ability to be President by his actions in the White House, not by whether he prays at a dinner table.

Whatever belief system is right for an individual, does not mean it is right for an entire country.

December 2, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • 16halo

Excellent point

December 2, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
  18. Oakspar

Debating someone's Christianity is a non-point. Only the individual himself could know and there is no litmus test for faith. Seeing a man's works might help one to make an informed guess, but Christianity is a faith of forgiveness – so it presupposes that Christians will commit non-Christian acts.

What you can debate, openly, is if a man's actions are in line with the faith that he claims.

December 2, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  19. jo an

I would like to say that Obama represents the 'highest level' of Christ's/Jesus's teachings...When Bob Jones says he sees no reason to call Obama a Christian...from what I know of Bob Jones...I see no reason to call Bob Jones a Christian...bigot, close minded yes....Christian NO!! Jesus would have thrown Bob Jones out of the temple he had great words for the likes of Bob Jones...he called them...'graves men have painted white'...Bob Jones would definitely been in the Pharisee Catagory....

December 2, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • RL

Bob Jones either does not believe what the Bible teaches, or does not understand. If a person professes Christ, the Bible compels us to believe what the person professes. Bob Jones or anyone else would have to be an imbecile to believe that he can determine who is a Christian better than Christ can.

December 2, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  20. TJ

I am so sick of christians shoving their cult down peoples throats. They whine and cry about being persecuted into respecting others and their beliefs but mythical heaven forbid these people practice their cults in the privacy of their own homes.

December 2, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • NavyAirVet

You better hope there's no heaven.

December 2, 2011 at 4:11 pm |