home
RSS
Obama delivers very Christian message at Christmas tree lighting
President Obama and his family at the Thursday night tree lighting.
December 1st, 2011

Obama delivers very Christian message at Christmas tree lighting

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - President Barack Obama delivered an unusually stark Christian message at the White House Christmas tree lighting Thursday night, saying Christ's message "lies at the heart of my Christian faith and that of millions of Americans."

"More than 2,000 years ago, a child was born to two faithful travelers who could find rest only in a stable, among the cattle and the sheep," Obama said at the tree lighting ceremony, a longstanding White House tradition.

"But this was not just any child," Obama continued. "Christ’s birth made the angels rejoice and attracted shepherds and kings from afar. He was a manifestation of God’s love for us."

Obama has been more public and specific about his religious beliefs since polls last year showed that only a minority of Americans know he is Christian. Last Easter, Obama got unusually specific about his beliefs on Christ's resurrection at a White House prayer breakfast.

Some conservative Christian leaders have questioned Obama's Christian faith, even though Obama got his start in politics through church-based political organizing and has written about accepting Jesus in his 20s.

Last month, South Carolina Christian conservative leader Bob Jones III told a reporter “I’ve no reason to think (Obama is) Christian."

“Some people will say whatever they think the politically helpful thing would be,” Jones said. “I say, ‘Where is the evidence that he is a Christian?’ ”

In his remarks at Thursday's tree lighting, Obama said that Jesus "grew up to become a leader with a servant’s heart who taught us a message as simple as it is powerful: that we should love God, and love our neighbor as ourselves."

"So long as the gifts and the parties are happening, it’s important for us to keep in mind the central message of this season," he said, "and keep Christ’s words not only in our thoughts, but also in our deeds."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Barack Obama • Christianity • Christmas

soundoff (2,184 Responses)
  1. Barney

Only God knows the hearts of men. But the Word of God asks us to proclaim the truth of Christ to all nations. Spread the good news. Well, Obama seems to be doing that more and more. What is disappointing is that he took the political stand on his religion until recently....meaning a politician's best bet is to not get too deep into what they believe. I'm glad he is stepping up for the Man Upstairs and saying what he really believes now, rather than tippy toeing around about it. Amen brotha.

December 2, 2011 at 9:03 am |
    • JohnQuest

How easily the masses are fooled and controlled my their myths. If I thought even for a second that he was a believer in religious myths I could not have voted for him (or anyone else that believed in unbelievable nonexistent things).

December 2, 2011 at 9:10 am |
  2. John

you go Obama. That was a good message

December 2, 2011 at 9:01 am |
  3. GB

I bet FOX news is sending out a memo detailing how to attack President Obama's pro-christian message, despite having just finished criticizing him for omitting God from his Thanksgiving address.

December 2, 2011 at 8:58 am |
    • evandermole

What does Thanksgiving have to do with Christianity? It's an American holiday created by Abe Lincoln.

December 2, 2011 at 9:24 am |
    • reality

I'm sure it will happen right about the time the CNN.com liberals stop falling all over themselves to point and scream "Look! He is a good Christian, too! You should ALL vote for him" only to turn around and start bashing the Christians again. Both sides are nuts! Everyone is NUTS! Except for me, of course.

December 2, 2011 at 9:26 am |
  4. Mike in SA

I rarely agree with President Obama, but I agree with this message. He says he is a Christian, I accept that just like I accept others who say they are Christian but do not act in the manner Jesus would do at times. I can not judge a man's heart, that is God's domain, I do, however, judge their actions. There are many who do not believe in Jesus Christ who act more Christian in nature than many who profess His name on their tongue but deny Him by their acts. Westboro Inbred Baptist Church comes to mind immediately...

December 2, 2011 at 8:58 am |
    • Brad

Mike

I agree, Fred Phelps is more of a threat to Christians than any non-theist could ever be.

December 2, 2011 at 9:30 am |
  5. Brandon

How can I support a President that believes in fairy tales?

December 2, 2011 at 8:56 am |
    • Robert

Since when did Christ's existence and traditional philosophy become a fairy tale? Atheists simply sound ignorant when they say things like this. That is why they will never become president, nor a well-respected philosopher if Dawkins, Hitchens and Hawkins are any measure.

December 2, 2011 at 9:04 am |
    • Tammy

I think the real question you should be asking is "how can I support a president, or any person, that is not a Christian?"

December 2, 2011 at 9:05 am |
    • Dave A in Rio Rancho

Well, if you don't support this man who believes in fairy tales, then I guess you won't be supporting any of the other party as well. Remember, at least four said they were told by God to run for president. Either God is playing a funny joke on three or all four of them, or they are all liars. I would have to say they are all liars since as you say the bible is a fairy tale. That is exactly what I believe. Each book was selected to make the bible, leaving hundreds of scriptures out, such as the one by Thomas who talks about re-incarnation. Anyone who takes the bible literally has a serious screw loose. If they actually were christians as they all say they were, then obviously they really don't know who Jesus was. As Ghandi said, "I like your Christ, but I don't like your christians".

December 2, 2011 at 9:08 am |
    • Zeke2112

"Since when did Christ's existence and traditional philosophy become a fairy tale? Atheists simply sound ignorant when they say things like this."

No more so than when Christians look at Scientology and call it a cult. All of your mystical claims are equally silly when viewed from the outside. Someone who believes they've seen a UFO is deemed crazy, but someone who believes that man was made from dirt by a being who can't be seen yet demands unconditional love is a wise and just person? Hilarious.

December 2, 2011 at 9:17 am |
    • Sammy

A fairy tale would involve a complete dramatization of impossible possibilities. There are no facts in fairy tales.

Obama doesn't believe in Christianity as he says he does otherwise he would be preaching the Gospel to all countries rather than trying not to offend all religions and people.

The Bible is factually and historically accurate in every detail known to the history of man and has been verified time and time again by many historians, archeologists and scientists. Most of whom were skeptics and set out to disprove the accounts of the "fairy tale" bible.

The "fairy tale" you speak of was written by man but those men that wrote the bible we have today (over 40 authors) wrote about the same subject over a 1600 year period of time and most of them didn't know the other. Since the bible has been in circulation it has been the #1 seller of all books in the world. That, my friend, is one heck of a fairy tale.

You have to believe and have faith in something. Can you share your story with me so that maybe I can try to understand what you have come to know is truth to you. If it pans out I may want to believe in it also so please don't leave anything out.

December 2, 2011 at 9:32 am |
    • TheTruthFairy

@Sammy
      "The Bible is factually and historically accurate in every detail known to the history of man and has been verified time and time again by many historians, archeologists and scientists."

Can you point me in the direction of "time and time again" verification for the storry of Noah?

December 2, 2011 at 9:47 am |
    • Dave

Robert

"Since when did Christ's existence and traditional philosophy become a fairy tale? "

Anser: the first msecond after someone thought it all up. Duh!

December 2, 2011 at 11:44 am |
  6. Greg Shaffer

The irony of hearing a far-right religious leader demanding to see evidence of something is almost unbearable.

December 2, 2011 at 8:55 am |
  7. Qualia

Obama is no true scottsman!

Of course, that objection is meaningless to Christians, since their world view isn't predicated on logic or rationality.

December 2, 2011 at 8:51 am |
    • Bob

I so hear you!

December 2, 2011 at 8:52 am |
    • noway

We fogot how logic and perfect you are. Your no true scotsman lol

December 2, 2011 at 8:53 am |
    • Paul

More logic and rational support the existance of a creator. some people choose to live outside of that reality in an effort to better support thier own worldview.

December 2, 2011 at 8:58 am |
    • Qualia

Though they do win the spelling contests.
      *Scotsman

December 2, 2011 at 9:00 am |
    • NCao

Looks like everybody needs coffee. Wake up people and check your posts before hitting the post button!

December 2, 2011 at 9:02 am |
    • TheTruthFairy

@Paul

Would you care to expand on how "More logic and rational support the existance of a creator."

December 2, 2011 at 9:03 am |
    • Qualia

Paul, I would like to see that logic. You could win me over instantly if it's sound.

December 2, 2011 at 9:05 am |
    • Robert

Riiiiight...because Thomas Aquinas wasn't rational. Seriously, do you know anything about the development of logic?

December 2, 2011 at 9:06 am |
    • TrueAmerican

No true American would object to Christmas.

December 2, 2011 at 9:19 am |
    • Qualia

Robert, interesting strategy of defending the logic of Christianity with an appeal to authority.

December 2, 2011 at 10:04 am |
  8. Troy

This a breath of fresh air from our President. I agree with very little what our President has done, but I applaude Mr. President!

December 2, 2011 at 8:50 am |
    • noway

Yeah, he is good at convincing the few sheeple. so I guess his bull works.

December 2, 2011 at 8:51 am |
  9. Bible Clown

I don't believe that anyone who says that they "know" he isn't a Christian is a Christian themselves. I've read your Bible, and it specifically forbids you to 'bear false witness' and specifically commands you to 'love your fellow man.' Saying "oh noes he's a socialist" when you know that's just election-year propaganda is just plain dishonest; did you start stockpiling weapons when they socialized the Amtrak trains, or began forcing us to buy mandatory auto insurance? Pagans you are and pagans you remain, worshiping the Book instead of the words inside.

December 2, 2011 at 8:49 am |
    • Mike in SA

Clown, no one is forcing you to buy car insurance, heck, no one is forcing you to drive. You can take public transportation. If you CHOOSE to own a car and CHOOSE to drive on public road, you have to have insurance (unless you're one of 20% who drive illegally without it). You're not forced to gt insurance unless you drive...unlike the Obamacare Health fiasco.

December 2, 2011 at 9:01 am |
    • Paul

your post makes no sense. give the bible another read because you're obviously confused. "don't bear false witness" what does that have to do with anything? he is judged by his previous works and the people he associates with.

December 2, 2011 at 9:02 am |
    • Chris Curtis

There are two types of Christians in the world. This who believe in Jesus and hold true his vision of love and acceptance, and then there are conservative Christians, who by their actions serve Satan. The same is true of Islam, there are those who want to live in peace, and those who love hate. I you claim to be Christian, yet you question a man who also claims to be christian, are you sowing seeds of hatred, or love. Who Mr Christian are you serving, you and I know it is the cause of hate.

December 2, 2011 at 9:05 am |
    • FLIndependent

@Mark – Why can't you people accept the fact that the mandatory requirement in the Healthcare Law was originally a Republican idea and the only way that the new system will work. The only reason they demonized it is to go against this President. Romney, a Repub last time I checked, made this a key part of his healthcare law and if he becomes the nominee...guess what...all you Repubs will vote for him!

December 2, 2011 at 11:45 am |
    • Bible Clown

Mike, I agree, it's logical to make car owners buy insurance, and it's the same principle as a national health insurance. You gotta have insurance or else you are using up my tax money when you go crying to a hospital as a pauper. And Paul thinks it's ok to lie if you use a different word for it? Paul, I gotta judge you by the fact that you think you are allowed to 'judge' Obama and make false claims. You aren't allowed to make things up just because you're furious.

December 2, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
  10. Jubril

Religion has destroyed my country Nigeria. Muslims fighting Christians, Christians fighting Muslims And long before all this religions interfered with our African way of life we were all brothers and united. Choose a leader not because of his/her religious beliefs, religions tend to divide people, if our creator wanted everyone to be on one religion, we will all be like we all have two eyes and one mouth, but no Human being are meant to be different, beliefs are meant to be different

December 2, 2011 at 8:47 am |
    • Jubril

Did not proof read

Religion has destroyed my country Nigeria. Muslims fighting Christians, Christians fighting Muslims And long before all this religions interfered with our African way of life we were all brothers and united. Choose a leader not because of his/her religious beliefs, religions tend to divide people, if our creator wanted everyone to be of one religion, we will all be, like we all have two eyes and one mouth, but no, human being are meant to be different, beliefs are meant to be different

December 2, 2011 at 8:49 am |
    • ru4therepublic

and that is what Christ will do upon His return!

December 2, 2011 at 8:50 am |
    • ru4therepublic

"we were all brothers and united"

That is what Christ will do upon His return...believe...He has already saved us and will return

December 2, 2011 at 8:54 am |
    • SonofGod

'Chapter, verse Jubril? Who told you that non-sense? It certainly was'nt the Spirit of the Lord! There is but ONE GOD! And according to His words, the only way to get to Him, is through His Son Jesus Christ! Don't allow the enemy of your soul to make you to be a fool your entire life. While it is true that God made us free moral agents; and yes we do get too caught up in religion most times, that doesn't suggest that God is ok with you being an adolator. Which is exactly what you are when you worship other God's (meaning one other than Jesus of Nazarath.....God carnate!). In the beginning was the WORD! And the WORD was GOD! And the WORD became flesh and dwelth among! Sound familiar? I pray that the Lord will bless you with the spirit of wisdom and of revelation. And that the eyes of your heart will be opened. I for one have prayed earnestly that God would cause our president to begin to bodly speak not only the name of God. But to also publicly acknowledge the Son Jesus Christ. And that he would literally bow down every morning right in the oval office and profess that JESUS IS LORD! Because then, and only then, will be begin to see this great nation of ours begin to rise up again! And lo and BEHOLD; now that he's began to do so, employers in the month of November added 120,000 new jobs, and the unemployment rate fell to 8.6%, the lowest since 2009. Coincidence! Most foolish, non-believers would say so. Because satan is intent on making sure that the Lord gets no credit for which He is due! But I break every foundational, ancestral, generational curse! Every spoken word! Every form of voodo! Every hex ever spoken against this nation! And I hearby render them 'nul & void' in the name of Jesus! And I bind satan and his kingdom right now and command you to cease and desist immediately in Jesus' Mighty name! May God truly bless America, and it's unbelief!

December 2, 2011 at 9:27 am |
  11. ru4therepublic

It is amazing how many atheists follow CNN I don't see this many anti-christ comments anywhere but on CNN, you can tell from all there seperation of church and state jibberish and christian-bashing. I will stay christian and fight for my beliefs while you can sit there and call people names...let's see which one works. Some of you should only let people think you are a fool rather than speaking and removing all doubt.

December 2, 2011 at 8:45 am |
    • noway

Atheists are suicidal. They seem to support all that creates destruction. like socialism. But its the same intellectuals that get destroyed when socialism comes about.

December 2, 2011 at 8:48 am |
    • Bob

noway, I'm a capitalist and atheist. I've created hundreds of jobs. I'm happy and not suicidal.

And god doesn't exist.

There, blew away several of your delusions in one post. Now go get over your sick Christian delusions and start facing reality.

December 2, 2011 at 8:54 am |
    • ru4therepublic

Bob
      You are exactly who I was referring too with all your name calling...typical childlike behavior from an adult who doesn't know any better, or who chooses to no try out of the complexity of the issue. I would shake off the dirt from my shoes at your doorstep and leave you to your own bewilderment...how you could sacrifice eternity is beyond me. You've already been saved, you've already been ransomed, you just have to accept that fact and repent. It is up to you.

December 2, 2011 at 9:01 am |
    • Cedar Rapids

lol, 'fighting for your beliefs' usually mean making sure your beliefs are the only ones that are heard and letting no others get a look in. You will have to fogrive us if we dont think thats the right way to go.

December 2, 2011 at 9:01 am |
    • Cedar Rapids

"You are exactly who I was referring too with all your name calling...typical childlike behavior from an adult who doesn't know any better, or who chooses to no try out of the complexity of the issue"

lets see....
      bob said......."Now go get over your sick Christian delusions and start facing reality."
      after you had said...."from all there seperation of church and state jibberish"

Apparently bob's was name calling, yours wasnt. Funny how that seems to work.

December 2, 2011 at 9:04 am |
    • ru4therepublic

Cedar Rapids...it is not me you should be asking for forgiveness. You haven't sinned against me. I have been told not to judge by my father and I don't hold your beliefs against you.

December 2, 2011 at 9:07 am |
    • Cedar Rapids

But you have judged, you have declared the atheists spout 'jibberish' and that a response is 'typical childlike behavior from an adult who doesn't know any better, or who chooses to no try out of the complexity of the issue'

You have judged and continue to judge.

December 2, 2011 at 9:13 am |
    • Zeke2112

When our government is under attack from mystical claptrap designed to destroy the rights of its citizens in the name of a dusty, contradicting tome from 2000 year ago, you can bet on the fact that atheists will read stories like this and fight to keep the bible out of our government.

Christians – and Christians alone – are responsible for gays not being able to marry, women and blacks having to wait decades to vote in this country, couples not being afforded control over the state of their own pregnancy, and countless other laws put on the books by god-fearing Christians. It's time for this nonsense to end.

December 2, 2011 at 9:21 am |
  12. serdich

II insist Barak to address the flying Spaghetti Monster as well as the millions of pastafarians in US...

December 2, 2011 at 8:45 am |
    • Bob

RAmen. May the Pasta be with you.

December 2, 2011 at 8:48 am |
    • Zeke2112

And if not, may he roast in marinara for all eternity!

December 2, 2011 at 9:22 am |
  13. Bible Clown

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone?

December 2, 2011 at 8:42 am |
    • AMEN!

So True! People argue and fight about religiion like it is an item you can buy from the store. President Obama religiion was always there from the beginning. He did not try to hide it or deny it. People who truly serve God or just believe in righteousness for everyone knew that President Obama is a man of God. I thank God that he is a man of God! One who answers to him and him alone. It should not take a crisis for people to say, My God! I would like to see the poll of how many say this when a world crisis or any crisis comes in their life. Why wait until then! Serve him today! I am proud of President Obama and I know that he was chosen by God first and far most and the American people secondly.
      President Obama will go down in history not just as the first Africa American president, but one who was compassionate, real, a true family man, and a man of God. What better way to be remembered!

December 2, 2011 at 9:16 am |
    • Rainer Braendlein

From the above article:

Unquote.

Possibly, Obama's message was not a Christian message, but a Muslim message.

Why?

The Koran acknowledges Jesus as a religous leader with a servant's heart, whereby, of course, Muhammad thought of Jesus to be an Islamic leader and not a Christian one (in Muhammad's sight Christians are people who don't or didn't obey the Imam Jesus and Muslims are the true followers of Jesus). The Koran even says that Jesus was not so proud to call himself the "Son of God", but he considered himself as servant of the Lord of the World (alleged Allah).

And, of course, Muhammad teached that Muslims (true believers) should love each other (Christians or infidels are excluded from the Muslim love and shall be slain).

In contrast a true Christian message about Jesus Christ:

Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God. 2011 years ago the Son of God (one person of the Holy Trinity) incarnated and became a man, who was called Jesus from Nazareth. This was and is the greatest miracle of all ages that God became man. Jesus Christ was and is fully God and fully man at the same time. Jesus Christ had and has two natures: a divine one and a human one. Thus, in Jesus the Godhead and the mankind became perfectly united (but not mixed). By becoming a man God manifested His infinite love for us.

December 2, 2011 at 9:17 am |
  14. TG

Mr Obama is giving a blessing to that which the Bible does not. Though Jesus was born as "an infant bound cloth bands and lying in a manger"(Luke 2:12), it is not his birth (nor resurrection) that he himself taught his disciples to observe, but rather his death. He told his faithful eleven apostles, after taking a loaf and breaking it: "This means my body, which is to be given in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me."(Luke 22:19)

Some 20 years later, the apostle Paul wrote concerning the wine:"He did likewise respecting the cup also, after he had the evening meal, saying: "This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."(1 Cor 11:25)

In addition, Ecclesiastes 7:1 says that "a name is better than good oil and the day of one's death than the day one's being born." Only at death has a person established whether or not he has made a "good name" with our Creator, Jehovah God. Hence, it is Jesus death that is to observed and not his birth. Additionally, there is much evidence to show that Christmas has originated from pagan Roman celebrations, Saturnalia (observed from December 17-24) and the observance of Mithra (observed on December 25 as the ancient Persian god of light's birthday)

According to The New Encyclopædia Britannica, “December 25, the birthday of Mithra, the Iranian god of light and . . . the day devoted to the invincible sun, as well as the day after the Saturnalia, was adopted by the church as Christmas, the nativity of Christ, to counteract the effects of these festivals.” So the pagan birthday celebration continued with a simple switch in names, from Mithra to Christ !

December 2, 2011 at 8:42 am |
    • noway

Rome became the catholic church when it couldnt destroy christianity. The pope declared himself God and changed real christianity. IT placed all the pagan rituals into the bible. It also changed the calendar.

December 2, 2011 at 8:46 am |
    • evandermole

That's a lot of words to be so wrong. On Easter, the Pagan celebration of Eostre that we took over, Obama gave an extensive speech about Christ's death and resurrection. On Christmas, the Pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice that we took over, Obama spoke of his birth. That's what every Christian preacher around the world does.

December 2, 2011 at 8:48 am |
    • Crystal

With that having been said, how can you celebrate one's death, had they never been born? You cannot have one without the other. We celebrate Jesus' birth as a reminder of his death for us, the same as we celebrate the birthdates of loved ones passed on. If you are a church goer, you celebrate the sacrament of Holy Communion even within the Christmas season, so I don't think celebrating Christmas is a omission of rememberance of Jesus' sacrifice and death, which ultimately paid the price. But had had he never been born that would not yet have been possible and therefore his birtn deserves commemorating as well.

December 2, 2011 at 8:53 am |
  15. Scott

If the fundamentalist Christians are dumb enough to raise a ruckus about a politician's religion, then I think that we should just tell them what they want to hear and move on with our lives.

December 2, 2011 at 8:40 am |
    • noway

I guess when a president has access to the nuclear button, then its dumb for us to know everything about this person, his beliefs? You need to do some fundamentalist thinking there body.

December 2, 2011 at 8:43 am |
  16. Doc Vestibule

I feel for Obama – being scrutinized by judgemental religionists for hints of impiety can't be fun.
    Should he so much as acknowledge the Koran as a Holy Book, he is branded a Muslim by Christians.
    He delivers an overtly Christian address, publically re-affirming his allegiance to Jesus Christ, and is branded a hyprocrite by Christians and suspected of being a closeted Muslim.
    If he lights a candle on the 21st, will the holy doubters label him Jewish?
    Back in 2001, Dubya had this to say when during the White House menorrah lighting ceremony:
    “I couldn’t imagine somebody like Osama bin Laden understanding the joy of Hanukkah.”
    Americans should be happy they have a president who is educated in and respectful of those of differing faith – especially after 8 years of arrogant, bigoted, born again b.s. from Bush that seriously downgraded international opinion of the U.S.

December 2, 2011 at 8:38 am |
    • gurtie1980

I concur!

December 2, 2011 at 8:48 am |
    • FLIndependent

Absolutely agree! Some people really need to get off their high horses and others need to open their eyes & minds.

December 2, 2011 at 9:07 am |
    • Tobi

How wise you are. Spoken so concise and eloquent. How comforting to my ears to read such an intelligent observation. Not because I am a Democrat but because I am a Mexican American citizen born in Wichita Kansas to 2 legal Mexican Americans tired of hearing junk about illegals (any nationality) coming to the US to get everything for free, wanting to take over this country, tired of born again Christians, Jews, Catholics, Presbytarians, etc and where Obama was born or not born...OMG give it up.

December 2, 2011 at 9:07 am |
    • Fellow Rancher

I know a place where such wisdom and eloquence is greatly appreciated, and missed.

December 2, 2011 at 10:22 am |
  17. al

I believe Obama to be nothing but a liar. Him christian I truly doubt it.

December 2, 2011 at 8:38 am |
    • noway

I agree.

December 2, 2011 at 8:41 am |
    • Bob

al, most politicians lie about their religious beliefs, so that they can get votes from stupid folk like you.

December 2, 2011 at 8:47 am |
    • Lawrence

Judge not least ye be judged. Only God has to know what is in his heart. The definition of a Christian: Believes that Jesus Christ Died on the Cross for our sins, baptized with the father, son, and Holy spirit, born again. One does not have to belong in the GOP to be Christian. That part is not in the bible which has to be taken as the true word of God.

December 2, 2011 at 8:57 am |
    • ru4therepublic

Lawrence...Amen!
      Bob...your a fool

December 2, 2011 at 9:03 am |
    • TheTruthFairy

@ru4therepublic
      In another post, you said:
      "I will stay christian and fight for my beliefs while you can sit there and call people names..."
      Then you said:
      "Bob...your a fool"

Do you realize that you’re doing it, or are you unable to see your own hypocrisy?

December 2, 2011 at 9:41 am |
    • Bob

ru4therepublic, as for name calling, talk about pot calling the kettle black, "childlike" one. Here's back at you, you typical hypocritical Christian bigot.

Fu-ck off and eat sh!t, you stupid deluded ass-hole.

December 2, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
    • Bible Clown

No one actually believes in god. Do what thou wilt is the commandment most followed.

December 2, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
  18. evandermole

"...even though Obama got his start in politics through church-based political organizing and has written about accepting Jesus in his 20s."

I didn't know this. Much like the birth certificate issue, it definitively refutes every fundamentalist who thinks Obama isn't a true Christian because he didn't betray the Bible by praying on street corners and such to get elected. Perhaps we must someday accept that maybe Obama's just a genuine guy with positive attributes and shortcomings, just like the rest of us.

December 2, 2011 at 8:36 am |
    • noway

Hahaha! Nice apology. However he is a socialist to the core and another president contributing to the decline of this country.

December 2, 2011 at 8:40 am |
    • evandermole

That's just tired old right-wing propaganda, Noway. I encourage you to turn Sean Hannity off and actually educate yourself on Socialism. There is not a Socialist in history who would call Obama one of their own. If you study Obama's behavior, you will find his upbringing in the elite universities have made him far more enamoured with the likes of Wall Street and corporate bosses, though his time in his 20s as a community organizer helping unemployed factory workers find new jobs shows an understanding beyond the power structure.

December 2, 2011 at 8:52 am |
    • evandermole

Noway – As you continue to post right-wing talking points, could you please educate yourself on what Socialism is. Obama is far more supportive of big banks and corporations. There is not a socialist in history who would embrace him as one of their own.

December 2, 2011 at 8:56 am |
    • FLIndependent

Maybe we didn't know that about him because good stuff about our President isn't spread like wildfire...only lies propogated by his enemies in the GOP. I just hope the majority of people can see through all the lies and misinformation that have been said about our President since Day 1 and re-elect him and a Congress that will work with him. I don't believe we've had a better family man, husband and father as our President but the "family values" party hates him....imagine that!!!

December 2, 2011 at 9:11 am |
    • Bible Clown

"Socialist." Ha, you don't know what that means. Your electricity comes from a socialist monopoly, same as your water; please turn them both off to protect poor old capitalism. And don't take the train, because it was socialized long ago. Get back to me when Obama takes over the banks and confiscates your money, ok? Get a tinfoil hat, too.

December 2, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
  19. Squirrelly the Squirrel

Hail Satan!

December 2, 2011 at 8:36 am |
  20. Dmoney

should it matter what faith our President is...oh I forgot this is America, freedom of religion is only tolarated if it is a religion you agree with...ugh.

December 2, 2011 at 8:35 am |