home
RSS
‘Plan B’ decision puts pro-life groups, bloggers in an unfamiliar position
December 9th, 2011

‘Plan B’ decision puts pro-life groups, bloggers in an unfamiliar position

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – The decision by Kathleen Sebelius to keep age restrictions on the purchase of the “morning after pill” puts some conservative religious groups in an unfamiliar position – endorsing a move by the Obama administration.

Groups like the Family Research Council, who regularly find themselves on the opposite end of decisions made by the Obama administration, came out in support of the administration and in particular, Sebelius, the secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services.

“Secretary Kathleen Sebelius was right to reject the FDA recommendation to make this potent drug available over the counter to young girls,” stated a release by the pro-life Family Research Council.

In an interview with CNN’s John King, Jeanne Monahan of the Family Research Council addressed the fact that this was an unfamiliar position for the group.

“It is a great pleasure to be able to say congratulations Secretary Sebelius,” said Monahan. “I think you made a decision that was in the best interest of young women’s health,” said Monahan as if she was speaking directly to Sebelius.

President Obama told reporters Thursday that he “did not get involved in the process,” but that he supports the decision.

“As the father of two daughters,” Obama said. “I think it is important for us to make sure that we apply some common sense to various rules when it comes to over-the-counter medicine.”

"The reason Kathleen made this decision was she could not be confident that a 10-year-old or an 11-year-old go into a drugstore, should be able - alongside bubble gum or batteries - be able to buy a medication that potentially, if not used properly, could end up having an adverse effect,” he continued.

In commending Sebelius, many pro-life groups also pressed the Obama administration for more.

“The pro-life movement welcomes Sebelius’ decision, and hopes that HHS will revisit the question of whether Plan B should be available over the counter to anyone,” wrote the Pro-Life Action League in a post on their website.

Pro-life bloggers, while welcoming the unexpected decision, also kept a stead dose of skepticism as to why this decision went their way.

“I try to make a habit out of not criticizing good decisions, even when they are made by untrustworthy people for bad motives,” wrote Thomas Peters at CatholicsVote.org. “So good job, Sebelius, you got one right. Now can we go for two?”

In reversing the recommendations of the FDA, which recommend allowing Plan B to be sold over the counter, Sebelius did not reject the idea of over the counter birth control, a step many anti-abortion bloggers wanted.

Instead, Sebelius cited “label comprehension” as one reason for the reversal.

“Whatever the reason for her decision,” wrote Chelsea Zimmerman at the blog Catholic Lane. “It was certainly the right one.”

Not everyone, however, was patting the secretary on the back.

"It is surely not a scientific decision," says Susan Wood, who resigned as the FDA’s Director of the Office of Women's Health in 2005 in protest to the restrictions on Plan B supported by the Bush administration. "The secretary's rationale is very similar to the one used in the previous administration to block Plan B from going over-the-counter. It is not supported by data."

CNN’s Brianna Keilar contributed to this report.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Abortion • Politics • Sex

1. Annabel

Well I'm glad I'm getting to you 🙂

December 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  2. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Only a moron would think choosing to end a pregnancy was an easy, painless, simple decision for most women. For many, it's a heartbreaking choice that they make because the fetus they're carrying cannot survive and will only be live for a few painful hours after birth. For some, economic pressures on their families mean that another child will be a devastating blow to the families economic stability.

No matter what the reason, abortion is rarely an easy choice or one that most women take lightly.

To suggest otherwise is inane and stupid. Only someone who is completely ignorant of human emotions would suggest that it's easy and simple to terminate a pregnancy.

It is also absurd to assume that any woman who has an abortion is irreparably damaged or will suffer intractable guilt or other long-term consequences. It is also presumptuous. Unless you're in her shoes, just shut up. You have no idea what she is going through or what her life is like. Mind your own dam business.

December 10, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Crap. It's "family's economic stability."

Apparently, Anna Banana's ignorance is contagious.

December 10, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  3. Annabel

TomTom, it's hard for you to wrap your mind around the fact that I am passionat about something that doesn't directly afffect me!! It would be a lot less difficult to just go wth the flow and accept the status quo! But instead I dare to think on my own and step outside myself to think about others!

December 10, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You've never had a thought, you imbecile. You're a fake and phony. Knock it off; you're not even credible.

December 10, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  4. Fuyuko

Plan B is NOT an abortion. Read about it. There is plenty of unbiased scientific info out about the drug.

December 10, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

That's why idiots like Anna Banana, gerald, and George know nothing about it. If it's 'science', it MUST be evil.

December 10, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, my bad: I forgot our hero of geography, Keith! How embarrassing!

If you put Keith, the Banana, gerald, and George in a room together, what would happen?

I don't know, either, but it wouldn't be pretty.

December 10, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
  5. Annabel

TomTom, I'm at least glad that you can see that abortion is often an Extremely difficult decision to make! Maybe you do care! And I'm not ansering your question until you answer mine.

December 10, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I have no idea what you're talking about, you delusional boob.

December 10, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

There's no quid pro quo here, Banana. You'll either answer or you won't. I've already answered every idiotic question you've burped out of your empty brain-pan.

You aren't opposed to abortion at all. You're just here trolling to get reactions that will bolster your agenda, you phony twit.

December 10, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why in the world are you Capitalizing Random words, you f*c ktard?

December 10, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
  6. Annabel

Because, HAA, you said Christians should have no opinion because they fall sometimes!!!!! That was my point! I think telling a lie is wrong, but if I slip once, I hope I can still believe it's wrong!!!

December 10, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Do point out the post in which Hot Air said any such thing.

December 10, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Anna Banana, do you object to all forms of birth control? Or just to oral contraceptives? How do you think Plan B works?

December 10, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • Fuyuko

Sometimes a lie is better than the truth. And sometimes lying can help people. Nothing is ever 100% anything.

December 10, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
  7. Annabel

TomTom, why didn't she tell anyone?! Women talk about health issues all the time!!!

December 10, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Because some people, unlike you, Anna Banana, have boundaries. They don't tell others about their private lives. And I respect their wishes. Why should anyone tell me something about a decision that is intensely personal, often difficult, and sometimes fraught with sadness and conflicting feelings?

December 10, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You're probably the sort that blurts out that you have cramps or that your period has lasted for 14 days, or that your cervix has dropped to anyone you meet after just a few minutes of polite conversation.

December 10, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  8. Annabel

Mark, Planned Parenthood wants less abortions to happen! HotAir, is there someone in your life that you love? Anyone? And if so have you ever hurt them in some way by saying something unloving?! If so, should meanness then be the model you live by because you can't always be loving?!? Part of the human experience is trying to better ourselves; and if we fail sometimes, we should never stop seeking the ideal!!

December 10, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Use more exclamation points, Annie!!!!!! It makes your point more believable!!!!! REALLY!!!!

December 10, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Ummmm, this is about pregnancy prevention, abortion and why women have abortions. Your tangent about me and meanness is just that – an irrelevant tangent. But of course there are people I share love with and yes, I've said things I regret, and for that I am sorry. But again, that has nothing to do with this subject.

December 10, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
  9. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It is my belief that Annie is actually pro-choice and is simply playing devil's advocate here to try to get reactions to support her views.

Dishonest? You bet. But hardly original.

December 10, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  10. Annabel

I'm doing lots, Tom, and like Oprah says, there is no greater job on earth than being a mother! Kids don't need wealth but they do need PLENTY of love!

December 10, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What is it you consider to be "lots"?

December 10, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  11. Fuyuko

This is going to stop no one from getting the drug. It will simply mean 17 year old boyfriend or girlfriend or sibling will buy it for the minor. Come on now. This is a ridiculous move by The obama administration.

December 10, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  12. Annabel

TomTom, answer the question!

December 10, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What question? You haven't asked one.

December 10, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  13. Annabel

Tom, I still don't know why you haven't answered my question?!? And Bob, I've been a counselor for 12 years and yes, I have met Women who've had more than 3 abortions! And, Bob, if abortion is no big deal, why wouldn't someone talk about it openly?!?! Huh! They talk about everythinhg else!

December 10, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Thanks for proving my point.

December 10, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

By the way, where did Bob say abortion was "no big deal"?

If you were anything but a troll, it would be worth discussing the issue with you, but you're not.

Are you opposed to all contraception, Banana? Or only oral contraceptives?

December 10, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Annabel, were the women that had 3 abortions believers? I don't understand why a believer would have 1 abortion never mind 3 and none of the christians here have been able to explain that. Well to be fair, most have not tried to. Seems to me if a believer truly believes and if their believes are true, no god would allow them to go through the misery of a single abortion...

December 10, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Bob Barber

Everyone has met people who have had abortions. You said that you know some exceptional adults whose parents considered aborting them. I don't believe that. No parent of any adult that you know told you that they considered aborting their son or daughter. People don't share information like that. You'll notice that i didn't say one way or another how I feel about abortion. But I do have an opinion about how you are arguing.

December 10, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

In my 50s, Bob, I've only met one person, ONE, who had an abortion and told anyone that I knew about it. She didn't even tell me-I heard it from one of our mutual friends.

I don't believe a word of Annie's posts.

December 10, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  14. Piper

people who do not have kids.. or do not know what it means to raise one on limited means – both monetarily and maturity vise – are the only ones who can tout "life begins at conception" argument from the bible and denounce planB/abortion. I will listen to their argument if they spend a week working in a homeless shelter or an orphanage or in a lower income school as a counselor.

Until then, I suggest getting some real world perspective before spewing opinions like barf..

December 10, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  15. Fuyuko

It costs $50.00. Its hardly going to be put next to bubblegum on the rack. It will likely be put in the same place as the expensive birth control locked in a cabinet so it isn't stolen.. I think this is a bad decision personally. Obvioulsy Sebelius is not a liberal

December 10, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No, I disagree. I think she's a liberal, all right, but was pressured for political reasons into making the decision she did.

December 10, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • Fuyuko

no excuse. If you waffle to pressure you aren't strong in your views and beliefs therefor NOT liberal.

December 10, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'll agree to disagree with you. Sebelius has made some very liberal decisions in the past, but the timing of this one leads me to think her decision was politically motivated.

You're welcome to disagree, but I don't see any means of proving either of our assertions, do you?

In contrast, the evidence that Anna Banana is a troll is pretty overwhelming.

December 10, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
  16. Annabel

But you have no answer for me Tom Tom!

December 10, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

When you ask an intelligent question, let me know.

December 10, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • Bob Barber

I have an answer. You are making this up. No parent of anybody that you know disclosed to you that they considered aborting their son or daughter. Such people surely exist, but nobody personally revealed that to you. It isn't the kind of thing that people would share even with their spouses, let alone non-family members. When you make up one thing, all of your credibility is gone.

December 10, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Did you lose your Blackberry, Annie? Or are you just having technical difficulties?

Are you opposed to birth control pills?

December 10, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  17. Courtney

If you worked in a lower-income high school and saw the dramatic rate of young girls having babies and those babies being raised in the same cycle of poverty, you would support over-the-counter Plan B pills.

December 10, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Absolutely. I wonder why Annie doesn't go help those girls care for the babies they have so they can go on to complete their education. Then again, I get the feeling Annie doesn't much value education. She certainly doesn't seem to have any.

December 10, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • Mark

Well put Courtney. I worked in low income elementary schools, and saw girls who had left 5TH GRADE a year or two earlier, returning with their babies.
      HOW MANY HUMANS DO THERE NEED TO BE BEFORE HUMANS REALIZE THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY HUMANS
      The world population has more than doubled (to over 7 BILLION NOW) since I was born (early 60's)
      ALL BIRTH CONTROL AND CONTRACEPTION SHOULD BE CHEAP AND LEGAL

December 10, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

That's awful, Mark. I don't know what the solution is to problems like that. I doubt they even understand much about s3x or their own bodies at that age. Good lord.

What do you say, Annie? You seem to think it's hunky-dory for girls like this to give birth. What are you doing to help them and their children escape poverty and get an education and meaningful employment?

December 10, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Still waiting for the Banana to answer. I guess Annie thinks it's okay to counsel girls who are 10 or 11 to carry a pregnancy to term. I wonder what the Banana does for them once they've given birth. I'd love to hear that she's provided them with a babysitter so they can go to school and get an education, or that she has given them a place to live if their parents have forsaken them.

Somehow, I sense we won't get anything but more evasion from the fraud who calls herself Annabella.

December 10, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  18. Annabel

Ok TomTom, I know people who are amazing adults whose mother had considered aborting. Answer one simple question, would there life have ended if the mother had had an abortion or taken the morning after pill after conception?

December 10, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

When you figure out the difference between "their", "they're", and "there", Anna Banana, alert the media.

December 10, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And really, this is the stupidest premise. If they weren't here, so? There are billions of fertilized ova that are expelled by women all the time. There are billions of fetuses that have died before birth due to miscarriage. Do you really think the earth will stop revolving just because someone decides not to allow a pregnancy to occur or to terminate one?

Are you opposed to contraception of any kind? When are you going to stop your idiotic nonsense and answer the question?

December 10, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Dzerres

This is always a specious arguement: what if? What if Jeffrey Daumer's mother had gotten an abortion, or maybe Adolf Hitler's? Wouldn't the world be better off? Of course. That said, with 7 billion people on this earth if a Bill Gates or Madam Currie had not been born someone else would have stepped up. Scientific discoveries don't come out of the blue – it's usually other discoveries or technical abilities that allows someone to take the next leap and there are ALWAYS a couple hundred folks nipping at their heels trying to submit a patent application first.

December 10, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • HotAirAce

If their parent(s) had decided to have an abortion, their lives would simply not have been – their lives would not have ended because they would not have been started.

December 10, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Bob Barber

I don't believe you. I don't believe that the mother of anybody that you know as an adult went to you and said, "I considered aborting my son or daughter." I'm sure that such people exist, but you're making this up.

December 10, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I concur. Annie is one of those internet liars who post fibs to make themselves look better. She probably also claims she knows women who've had 3 abortions.

December 10, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yeah, that's what I figured. The Banana can't answer honestly because it hasn't an honest bone in its body. It's nothing but a troll and a dull one at that.

December 10, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • Fuyuko

Plan B isn't abortion. First of all, there is no guarantee without plan b you'd even be preggers. Plan B is birth control. Just as the pill is.

December 10, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  19. Annabel

You, HotAir and TomTom, are bitter and vicious! Is it part of your life philosophy to put people down and demean them!? Because if it is, you are doing an amazing job of it and you might turn people away from love and hope and all that crap!

December 10, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, cry me a river. If you don't like being ridi culed, stop being ridiculous. You haven't answered any of the questions put to you and you expect others to tolerate your foolish statements. This isn't your personal coc ktail party and you don't get to tell others how to respond to you or anyone else.

When you grow up and acknowledge that you have no say in others' personal decisions unless they infringe upon your rights, you can expect to be the target of scorn.

December 10, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Edit: "When" should have been "Until".

Not that Annie will understand the post anyhow.

December 10, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Keith

Annabel, "tom" actually admitted to being female. She also likes to post under your name in an attempt to deceive others. She's a liar. She's a hypocrite because she makes the same typo's, grammatical errors, and spelling errors we all make-yet she'll rip you for it. Her pal HAA is Canadian. They are quite the pair.

December 10, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hi, there, Keith! Good to see you aren't lost in the wilds of Tennessee looking for the mythical town of "Murpheysboro".

Now if you could just locate your brain.....

December 10, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Keith

See what I mean?

December 10, 2011 at 4:10 pm |

See what I mean?

December 10, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • kiki

There is nothing more vicious than forcing someone to carry a fetus without their consent. That's slavery.

December 10, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

That's why Keith and George and gerald think it's just fine. They're not the ones who'll have to bear the risks of pregnancy and childbirth. It's easy to approve of something that only affects others in a negative way.

December 10, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • Keith

Bear the risks? We all bear the risks when knuckleheads like you keep shedding innocent blood. God won't put up with this crap indefinetly. He will judge this nation. Haven't you noticed all the billion dollar natural disasters this nation suffered through this year? Or were you too busy impersonating others on a belief blog to notice? tammy, do you that all liars will have their part in the lake of fire? That means you, too. Hope you like it hot.

December 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
    • Keith

should be, "do you know that..."

December 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

jAhahhhahhahha! Good one, Keith! Yes, all these natural disasters are a punishment from God.

I do believe you're as bat-shi te crazy as HS.

December 11, 2011 at 11:08 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I wonder, Keith honey, how you explain the increased number of natural disasters when the number of abortions has been steadily decreasing over the past years?

What conclusion can one draw from this? Well, if you believe the delusional gospel of Keith, it appears god would prefer that the number of abortions increase.

Is that the case, Keith?

Really, you guys do more damage to religion than anyone else ever could.

December 11, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • HotAirAce

I've always thought Keith was one of the more rationale thumpers, so have tried to cut him a little slack. But connecting natural disasters to an imaginary god's happiness with man is a litmus test for me – you do that and you are officially in "The Believer Wacko Hall of Fame!"

Say it ain't so Keith.

December 11, 2011 at 11:21 am |
  20. Annabel

December 10, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • HotAirAce

We're merely reacting to believer's silly statements. If they stop giving us juicy material to work with, we'd be silent.

We do get a little testy when they can't find the Reply link after repeated help...

December 10, 2011 at 3:38 pm |