home
RSS
My Take: Confessions of a Tebow convert
Tim Tebow's habit of praying on the field has given rise to a new word: "Tebowing."
December 12th, 2011

My Take: Confessions of a Tebow convert

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

I must confess that until this weekend I was an agnostic when it came to Tim Tebow. I wasn’t a believer or a non-believer. As America’s cultural warriors debated the virtues and vices of the Denver Broncos' miracle-working quarterback, I played the role of the disinterested academic.

I enjoyed listening to skeptics scoff at evangelicals for actually believing a guy who couldn’t throw could lead his football team to the NFL playoffs. I enjoyed listening to evangelicals scoff at the skeptics for dismissing not only the miracles of Tebow but also the miracles of his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

In an earlier post I asked, “Is Tim Tebow performing miracles?” But I didn't answer the question.

Today I must confess, however, that the Broncos’ 13-10 come-from-behind victory over the Chicago Bears on Sunday has made a believer out of me.

Yes, I doubted when the Bears were ahead 10-0 in the fourth quarter and Tebow had completed fewer than a handful of passes. But doubt, as they say, is part of faith. And I am now a true believer.

I don’t just believe that Tebow is a bona fide NFL quarterback, however. Of course I believe that he can lead his offense on scoring drives with the clock ticking down in the fourth quarter. I have seen him do that with my own eyes. But Tom Brady of the Patriots can do that.

What is truly miraculous about Tim Tebow is his ability to affect a game even when he is sitting on the bench. The Broncos defense? Tebow’s got it covered. The Bears’ offense? Tebow can force a three-and-out.

Why did the Bears’ running back Marion Barber run out of bounds when his team had almost run out the clock on Sunday? Tebow!

Why did Barber fumble in overtime just as the Bears were driving for a score? Tebow!

Why did the Broncos’ kicker Matt Prater make a 59-yard field goal to send the game into overtime and a 51-yarder to win it? Tebow and again I say Tebow!

In short, I agree these words from the Denver Post: “there is no antidote, no potion for Tebow Magic.”

Only it’s not magic. It’s faith. And now I’ve got it too.

With every faith comes hard questions, however. So here is the theological conundrum for my fellow parishioners in the Church of Tim Tebow. If Tebow is the “Mile High Messiah” why don’t his miracles work in the first three quarters? Why did he have a dismal 9.5 passer rating in the first half on Sunday? Why did it look like Denver receiver Demaryius Thomas was being paid to drop his passes until it came to Tebow Time?

To which I can only exhale and say, “Oh ye of little faith!”

To those of us who truly believe, the answers to these questions are obvious: Because a little doubt never hurt anyone. Because there is nothing miraculous about the Packers’ running roughshod over the Raiders 46-16. Because this is religion we are talking about people, not football.

The Church of Tim Tebow isn’t just about winning. It is about snatching faith from the jaws of victory. It is about sitting back at the end of the game, as I did this Sunday, and thinking, "Did that really happen?" only to realize it really did.

"If you believe," Tebow said after the game, "then unbelievable things can sometimes be possible." To which I can only say, "Amen."

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Stephen Prothero.

- CNN Belief Blog contributor

Filed under: Belief • Celebrity • Christianity • Faith • Sports

1. Kevin

I honestly can't tell if this article is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek.

December 12, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • WOW!

I read the previous article he referenced last week. I have trouble discerning his tone as well.

December 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Jesus

Since God, Tebow's imaginary and invisible friend, lives in the clouds, it would seem natural that he'd favor a team that's at a higher elevation than others. It's easier for Him to watch the games eminating out of Denver.

December 12, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  2. Sam Yaza

so has any one ever heard of the effect of moral one groups of people this is psychological. In sport if you doubt yourself you never win if you want victory you will get it. I’m an archer I always believe I will hit the bull’s-eye because of it my accuracy is better, this is not proving good its proving the effect of confidence on a athletes performance. My patriots are going to kick ass because they know they can kick ass because they have the record to do it. But in American culture were taught god is un-killable and thy have fait on their side not only does in hinder the performance of the other team who thinks o know we can’t kill god the other are like there like we have good and tebow. You would have the same result if you believe in yourself but this why the other team has doubts. And if Tebow can really work genuine miracles why is he doing it to win games and make more money, he sounds a bit selfish to me. Oh and the bears if your having a hard time against the bears, 49ers, or raiders chances are your team suck, I smell a swindle, And I’m a shintoist I know a swindle when I see one. They are playing psychological games.

December 12, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  3. Todd

Tebow has a winning spirit and enthusiasm that is infectious. He defies all odds and lifts his team to victory while never letting his critics affect his self-worth and yes faith. I expect Tebow to become a great leader off the field when his playing days are over. He will lift the Lombardi trophy one day soon. http://www.ibelieve15.com Go Broncos!

December 12, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Or not.

December 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • claybigsby

"He defies all odds and lifts his team to victory while never letting his critics affect his self-worth and yes faith."

actually you can thank marion barber for that yesterday.

December 12, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • Jesus

Look at the games. Tebow is NOT the reason the team wins. This time it was a bonehead move by a Chicago receiver in going out of bounds and stopping the clock along with two phenomenal Denver field goals of 51 and 59 yards....none of that involved Tebow.

December 12, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  4. Ungodly Discipline

The only team God ever loved was the 1972 Miami Dolphins Undefeated team. Then Satan has been punishing the Fins ever since.

December 12, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
  5. Reality

Prediction:

The Steelers vs. the Broncos in the first round and then we will know who the gods really like!!!!

December 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • Bates

Well the Steelers cheat their way through the playoffs, and usually cheat to win the Super Bowl. Sorry but the wins against the Seahakws and the Cards should have never happened.

December 12, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • Jesus

Look at the play-by-play and the stats. Denver is winning in spite of Tebow! Tebow's forte is his running. As a passer, he is mediocre or worse.

December 12, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • Reality

Bates must be a Cleveland fan!!!

December 12, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
  6. theoldadam

As a Christian, I do NOT like it when athletes point upward after they throw a touchdown pass or do something good. It's just another expression of the theology of glory. Is not God with them when they throw an interception? Does not God want the Christians on the other team to win?
    God doesn't care which team wins. He's got much bigger fish to fry than whether the Broncos win, or not.

And, it just strengthens the negative stereotypes that so many in our culture have of Christians.

Nope, I don't like it one bit.

That said. I like Tebow as a ballplayer and young man. I just don't like his religiosity on the field.

Thanks.

December 12, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • randomguy

That's a good point. I'm not religious, but it's like when baseball hitters cross themselves before going up to bat. That's so stupid. It's so selfish to want God only when you think you need him. But, I think in general Tebow is having a positive effect. On ratings. haha.

December 12, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • Jesus

I flew Delta recently and saw God on a cloud surrounded by Angels--all wearing Denver Bronco hoodies.

December 12, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  7. derp

Note to all of you tebow dooshebags. If god were really helping any team, it would be the packers.

God would not lose, he'd be undefeated. It is glaringly obvious that he is a Packers fan.

December 12, 2011 at 11:46 am |
    • GodPot

That brings a new meaning to "The Big Cheese..Head in the sky"...

December 12, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • Jesus

Following your logic, Sataan must love the Colts OR God hates them.

December 12, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  8. brutus

One can never know the many ways God has intervened...."All things work together for the good of those who love Him." God may not be concerned with Tebow's winning, but one thing is for sure, and that is by Tebow's winning, he has had more chances to preach the gospel.

December 12, 2011 at 11:37 am |
    • 4mercy

You know it!

December 12, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Actually

"Tebow's winning, but one thing is for sure, and that is by Tebow's winning, he has had more chances to preach the gospel."

No idiot, religion sells, the more people will come see him play, the more people will buy his jersey number, the more press he gets... it's all about money and politics.

December 12, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Jesus

The quintessential remark of a believer with a room temperature I.Q. "God works in mysterious ways". Rather than acknowledge that it's all random, the weak minds seek out some master plan, even one that makes no sense.

December 12, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
  9. David

I'm not on Tebow's jock just yet...

December 12, 2011 at 11:35 am |
  10. Mary

Maybe God made Barber run of bounds so that Tebow could win, oh come on people get real.

December 12, 2011 at 11:14 am |
    • Rob

I agree with you in general, but why did Barber run out of bounds? At the end of an earlier game (the Falcons) I commented to my son that Pro players really don't mess up and not run out of bounds like younger levels of the sport.... after one of the Falcons took a dive on the turf after he got within 10 feet of the sideline. They just don't mess that up. Then Barber does it. It's an unexplainable brain fart.

December 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
    • stonycurtis6

it looked like one the the Broncos pushed him out of bounds, and if so, that is one of the most genius defensive plays of all time. this whole Tebow thing has just been a lot of fun, a great year for the NFL. go broncos.

December 12, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • Jesus

When asked after the game, Barber responded, "the devil made me do it".

December 12, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  11. mike

Does God's belief in Tebow give Tebow an advantage?

no...wouldn't seem fair to those who pray for bigger and better causes without success

Does Tebow's belief in God give Tebow and advantage?

Does Tebow's belief in himself and his team give him and his team an advantage?

God's helping hand is your own.

December 12, 2011 at 11:09 am |
    • empiric

Nice Straw Man with a Non Sequitur finish there.

Have you the slightest reason to think Tebow is asking God "to win"?

December 12, 2011 at 11:20 am |
  12. Steve in Denver

Really? You are a "religious scholar" and think that divine intervention explains it? So is Tebow "good" in your world, worthy of the almighty's help, and the religious folk on the other team unworthy of divine intervention? The God's on our side theory is shaky enough, even when fighting such notably evil people as Hitler, but God picks sides in a football game? You, Mr. Prothero, are a quack. Glad I read this, I know to dismiss any future articles you write as drivel.

December 12, 2011 at 11:05 am |
  13. llɐq ʎʞɔnq

I'm kidding. Lighten up, already ! 😈

December 12, 2011 at 11:00 am |
  14. llɐq ʞɔnq

Ok Prothero,
    So you're a convert. Only one thing remains now. Baptism. Go soak your head in a really deep Colorado mountain stream, and be sure and keep it under water for about 15 minutes. 😈

December 12, 2011 at 10:49 am |
    • empiric

Since it'll be awhile until you and I can do the extensive, thorough, plenty-of-time-for-extracting-the-specifics inquiry, how about the summary version?

Why the unspecified animosity? Just trollin'?

December 12, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • llɐq ʎʞɔnq

˙əɯɐu uʍo sıɥ pəllədssıɯ ʎʞɔnq 'sdoo

December 12, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • Floridaperson

Remember to not raise this guy to high , that when he falls that he will not bounce., he will just stick. AND HE WILL Fall. Everyone does. Remember JOB>>> Tebow is just a football player not a Prophet. This is how Cults get started. The Broncos should stop this now before it get out of hand. They will get this man hurt. Somebody is not going to block or miss a block to see if he is superhuman,,,, Why feature him praying, every man prays before a game, why not photo them. Oh I guess everyone is not a GAY Quarterback hiding behind the Cloth, Yes I said it GAY.. everyone knows it,, and just does not have the guts to say it.. ITs ok by me too, just I will not accept the BRONCOS or everyone lifting him up as a little Jesus , then when you find out the truth of him being GAY or not a super football star.. The Baptist , and all others will crucify him..

December 12, 2011 at 11:39 am |
    • llɐq ʎʞɔnq

(No one cares what anyone does behind closed doors...whatever that may be. It's TOTALLY irrelevant.) We all know that god likes Aaron Rodgers best anyway, obviously...duh.)

December 12, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
  15. Annmarie05

At the news conference after the game, Tim used the word believe a lot when he was talking about his teammates and the plays that made to win. I believe God is on Tim's side but I don't believe it is to make touchdowns. I would be willing to bet that Tim doesn't ask God for touchdowns either. He probably asks for protection, guidance, and keeping focused. He probably prays that he be a good role model. Why can rock stars and other celebrities thank God for their winning a trophy but when Tim does it, it is big news? I think it is because Tim is a true follower and believer and people see it.

December 12, 2011 at 10:40 am |
  16. Bob

So, believers, how about all those millions of innocent children that have been killed by natural disasters and diseases. Do you think that maybe even a few of their parents prayed sincerely for god to save those kids? Of course they did. Yet nothing happened.

I'd ask you to draw your own conclusions from that, but reason seems beyond the capabilities of the religious.

December 12, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • HotAirAce

1,000% agree. I'm sure the shamans are working on their "god works in mysterious ways" speeches to cover both eventualities: The Broncoes winning it all, or more likely coming up lame.

December 12, 2011 at 10:49 am |
    • catholic engineer

Although the world is an awful place, religious people consistently believe in God and consistently feed and educate vast numbers of hungry and ignorant (proceed with your predictable "brainwash" comment) people. How many hospitals exist in the name of atheism?

December 12, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • HotAirAce

Ah, the old "only believers can do good" straw man...

To be completely honest, I know of zero hospitals with names something like "The XYZ Atheist Hospital." But there are many many secular hospitals, and other aid agencies, supported by atheists – we just don't have the need to advertise our involvement and doing so would be somewhat difficult in that atheism does not have the same infrastructure, nor is it needed or wanted, as the believer crowd. Yes, there are some national and regional atheist/humanist organizations but they're miniscule compared to the believer industry.

This seems like an opportune time to remind folks of The Richard Dawkins Foundation (richarddawkins.net) – I encourage all (non-believers and believers) to donate to Non-Believers Giving Aid:

"Non-Believers Giving Aid and the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science are once more working to bring much needed help to people whose lives have been torn apart by natural disaster. Every dollar and cent donated via Non-Believers Giving Aid will be forwarded to the American Red Cross. For UK donors, every pound and penny will be channeled through Oxfam – and if you complete the Gift Aid Declaration along with your donation, we will pass that on in its entirety too."

And they have some very nice items I'm sure your friends will really appreciate as christmas presents – my certainly did last year. And please consider participating in the "OUT Campaign" and wearing an "A" with pride.

December 12, 2011 at 11:41 am |
    • Bo

Faith is not about believing things will turn out OK, faith is being OK no matter how thing turn out.

December 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • claybigsby

"How many hospitals exist in the name of atheism"

the only reason hospitals and churches exist are because of one thing....MONEY

December 12, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • GodPot

"If you believe," Tebow said after the game, "then unbelievable things can sometimes be possible." – If those parents believe hard enough, then some of their kids will pull through, and of course, if they don't believe, some of those kids will also pull through, just like some football teams will win without any prayer being answered...

So if you pray for improbable things to happen, it's possible they will, as it was improbable, not impossible. So if you pray for someone to get well or to win a game that looked improbable, then there is a good chance that you will credit that prayer if the unlikely event takes place. Whereas if you pray for something impossible like please smite the other team with laser beams from heaven, or please give me Supermans abilities, then no matter how hard you believe or have faith, that belief or faith will not produce results. So is it the belief or faith that is not strong enough to produce the results or is it more likely that faith and belief have almost nothing to do with any results, it just feels better to hope for something unlikely and then when that inlikely event occurs we can pat ourselves on the back as if we had some hand in it or at least our deity did which adds power and credence to that belief. That is why you often hear people defend their faith with tales of when their prayer came true or another of their same religion having a prayer answered. Which brings this scripture to mind:

Matthew 24:23-24 "Then if anyone says to you, 'Behold, here is the Christ,' or 'There He is,' do not believe him. For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect."

If you were born just last night and I told you I made the sun come up in the morning you would have no reason to doubt me, as I would have performed my duty right before your eyes "Abracadabra Sun shine, sun rise!! Boogaldy Boogaldy!!" And you would worship me until that day I died and you realised the sun came up the next day anyway...

December 12, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • 4mercy

Catholic hospitals exist because someone takes resources (money among them) and takes action to help and provide care for people. While many horrible things may exist in this world – which many are quick to point out – they are also given to us as opportunities...not for God to show us His magnificence, but for us to show God that we understand what He wants from us...that we can help those in need and treat them with kindness and compassion...the way God treats us.

December 12, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  17. don

Involving a higher power as a "wing man" to share the on-field pressure and tension is not new.
    Basketball players who used to cross themselves before attempting the game tying and game winning
    free throws did it. It helps as "anti-choke serum" to share the pressure. In most situations, explicitly sharing it
    with the team would be adequate but not always. The narcissistic nature of many today's elite athletes, by contrast
    makes Tebow seem more Christ-like than he is.

December 12, 2011 at 10:15 am |
    • HeavenSent

God Bless you Tim Tebow. Every time you pray, all eyes are paying attention to Jesus (believers and unbelievers).

Amen.

December 12, 2011 at 11:21 am |
    • Sue

HS,

We aren't paying attention to Jesus. He is long dead and no longer exists, so there is nothing to pay attention to there. We have to pay attention to your silly Jesus stories, only because you keep shoving them at us along with all the foolish actions and misguided policy endorsements and laws that result from them.

December 12, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • Bo

@Sue, the only thing that is shoved at you are only the things that you are allowed to be shoved at you, unless you are a student in public schools and then evolution is shoved at you.

December 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • HellBent

@Bo,

Or a child on a public sidewalk (there have been incidents by me where xtians have literally shoved bibles into bicycle baskets of students who didn't want them), or just about anyone with a front door (the sign says no solicitors for a reason, but I guess literacy isn't a requirement for telling me I'm going to hell), or someone who is gay and wants to get married ... should I go on?

December 12, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • GodPot

It's religions like Bo's that invented chast i ty belts and genital cuffs so theres no point in trying to debate things being "shoved" on others. Not to long ago you could be put to death for being a heretic and if you converted they would slap a cuff on you "protect your soul" from yourself. It's great to see people like Bo defending their legacy though.

December 12, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Earthling

@Bo

Your refusal to accept the reality of evolution will not make it any less real, nor will it negate the (literally) mountains of evidence that prove it. Just as your insistence on the validity of bronze age mythology will not give it substance.

I assume you object to the rules of English grammar being shoved down the throats of students at public schools as well, since you seemto be somewhat of an independant thinker on that front.

December 12, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  18. AvdBerg

The above article by Stephen Prothero is silly as God does not involve Himself in football. It is a lie and a fabrication of the truth and does not contain any spiritual truth.

Please know that he that is spiritual judgeth (discerneth) all things, yet he himself is judged of no man (1 Cor. 2:15).

Tim Tebow does not know what he worships as he worships after an image of a false God. He does not understand the Gospel of Christ (1 Cor. 2:14) but rather follows after a false Christ in which there is no salvation (Matthew 24:24). He was born in sin and in his natural state is separated from God and unless he repents and turns from darkness to light and from the power of Satan (whose spirit he is of) unto God (Acts 26:18), he will remain spiritually blind. God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth (John 9:31). For a better understanding who Tim Tebow worships and what it means to be a sinner, we invite you to read the articles ‘Repent’, ‘What is Sin’ and ‘Victory over Sin’, listed on our website http://www.aworlddeceived.ca

It is sad but true but Sports and Entertainment is a stronghold of Satan’s divided kingdom (Matthew 10:26-28; 2 Cor. 10:4) and any association with Christ is falsehood. Tim Tebow’s prayers are all in vain as he follows after the teachings and the doctrines of men (Matthew 15:9). Any sports figure that claims himself/herself be a Christian is a deception as they follow after a false Christ. Their faith does not stand in Jesus Christ but rather they do service unto them which by nature are no gods (Gal. 4:8). As a result of their spiritual blindness they do not know that they are all of the same spirit (darkness).

For whatsoever is born of God, overcometh the world (1 John 5:4).

For a better understanding what it means to be a Christian we invite you to read the article ‘Can Christianity or any Other Religion Save You?’ listed on our website.

Also, to give people a better understanding of the destructive forces (Eph. 6:12) behind CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc. and US Politics and the issues that divide this world, we invite you to read the article ‘CNN Belief Blog ~ Sign of the Times’.

All of the other pages and articles listed on our website explain how this whole world has been deceived as confirmed by the Word of God in Revelation 12:9. The Bible is true in all things and is the discerner of every thought and the intent of the heart (Hebrews 5:12). The truth is that the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned (1 Cor. 2:14). This is why we call all of mankind to repentance.

Seek, and ye shall find (Matthew 7:7).

December 12, 2011 at 10:15 am |
    • Jason

You sir, are the definition of a pious, phoney Christian. You dare to judge what he believes? You obviously know nothing. Maybe you should re-read the words of Jesus.

December 12, 2011 at 10:22 am |
    • AvdBerg

Jason

But the natural receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, becasue they are spiritually discerned (1 Cor. 2:14). For this reason our message remains the same: Ye must repent and turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan (whose spirit your are of) unto God (Acts 26:18). Without the Baptism of Repentance (Mark 1:4) you will remain spiritually blind and separated from God.

December 12, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • jm1028

Really? It is not our job to judge the hearts and faith of others. Tim Tebow does not think that God is a Broncos fan. But Tim's faith in God keeps football and in its rightful place for Tim: below God and Family. This allows him to have perspective and perform under pressure situations on the football field. Does God favor the Broncos? No. Does God love Tim and those who honor him? Yes. Does this help Tim, and those who believe, perform better in life and in their professions? Yes. Does Tim performing well help the Broncos win? YES.

December 12, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • Jason

AvdBerg
      That's all well and good. You are correct about all that. The problem is your judgement of a young man who spends his life glorifying Jesus Christ in everything he does. You judge him because he plays sports? Really? Jesus calls Christians to be light in this world of darkness. That's all that young man has done since he steeped on the national stage years ago. he has used his NFL money to build hospitals in places overseas that don't have any. How dare you judge him like that. Especially since you obviously know nothing about the man. What do you do? Troll message boards and judge people that you don't know. I say your judgement shall be harsher because you know better.

December 12, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • empiric

"Any sports figure that claims himself/herself be a Christian is a deception as they follow after a false Christ."

Ludicrous.

Have you the slightest evidence (other than your implied claims to psychic powers) that he believes in a "false Christ"? Have you any scriptural backing for your summary judgment as to what specifically are the careers one may pursue, without automatically being a "false Christian"?

December 12, 2011 at 10:38 am |
    • Jay

probably need to see a doctor as soon as possible. seriously,get a prescription soon and follow it. please.

December 12, 2011 at 11:28 am |
    • AvdBerg

Jay

They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick (Matthew 9:12). Tim Tebow follows after a false Christ (Matthew 24:24) as are all those that think he is a Christian. If the Word of God teaches us that the whole world has been deceived (Rev. 12:9), God will have the last world and the future will confirm that we brought you the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive (John 14:17).

December 12, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • energyrater1

Shame on you avdberg. Shame on YOU! You are going to find trouble with that kind of talk. Tebow was never – since high school – supposed to be quarterback and he beat all the odds. If he was resposible to converting one person to faith then he should be celebrated. God is not happy with your response, I assure you.

December 12, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

Advberg,

Wow, you're the exact reason so many people are being driven away from Christianity, because of pious know-it-all people claiming to be the direct hand of God. I hope you can find some humility in your life because right now you appear closer to Westboro Baptist Churst than anything Jesus preached.

PS I'm a Christian.

December 12, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
    • AvdBerg

energyrater1

God sent us out into the world for three reasons. To reprove this world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment. And our judgment is after the righteousness of God (1 Cor. 2:15). Tim Tebow is not a follower of Christ but rather a false Christ (Matthew 24:24).

December 12, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • jm1028

AvdBerg,

You are very contradictory in your arguments. You say ultimate judgment will be before the Lord. This means it is not our place to judge in this world. We will all be judged by Him when our time comes. But, you are so quick to judge the faith of others...
      Examine your own faith. Make sure you are ready to meet your maker. Spend time trying to spread the Gospel, as Tim is, rather than condemn people you don't know.
      God Bless.

December 12, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Tonelok

@AvdBerg
      I didn't know Tim Tebow was mentioned in Matthew 24:24. I am now convinced you are joking and I love it.

December 12, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • Floridaperson

TeeBow will be in the good graces of the Church as long as he plays footbal on Sunda and sends a 10% check on Monday.... But let the check stop and on Tuesday he will be a BIG BAD SINNER wo does not observe the Lords Day... just like the rest of us. Even though most of us went to church on Sunday, but our check was not as big as Teebows...

December 12, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  19. Tebow was a miracle baby!

He beat all odds at surviving according to his mommy's physician and he was a miracle baby!

December 12, 2011 at 10:05 am |
    • ABeliever

Jeremiah 1:5

December 12, 2011 at 10:19 am |
    • claybigsby

Flying Spaghetti Monster 2:12

December 12, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Jesus

Frankly, I think Tebow is partially brain dead.

December 12, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  20. Chuckles

Scoff!

December 12, 2011 at 10:01 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Chuckles
      Have some Gerin Oil – it's good scoff medicine.

December 12, 2011 at 10:05 am |
    • Chuckles

@Doc

Thanks for the perscription Doc, but I just took some and I keep scoffing! I can't help it, when I see an article on Tebow I come down with a bad scoffing fit, and today is 2 articles in a row! I think I might have to go home and drink lots of fluids (of the alcoholic variety) to make this bad scoff go away.

December 12, 2011 at 10:07 am |
    • hippypoet

if booze is the target of choice may i suggest scotch – glenfiddich to be specific. 🙂 enjoyment is a bottle!

December 12, 2011 at 10:22 am |
    • Chuckles

@Hippy

I won't lie, and you might bang the table and scream heresy when you read this, but I dislike scotch. Not a fan at all, I don't have the taste for it. Usually I stick with beer (Fat Tire, the drink of kings) and some wine here or there. Occasionally I'll reach for the vodka or whiskey, but I get wicked hangovers.

December 12, 2011 at 10:28 am |
    • rick

Tried scotch once (dewar's). Hated it. Ditto with martinis and most alcohol. Beer is okay, some wine is okay. Weed is the king

December 12, 2011 at 10:39 am |
    • hippypoet

its ok chuckles, if your name was argentina i would cry for you. I myself love beer, old vine zin if i'm drinking wine – never drink white wine... and i can't do whiskey anymore, i took a whole summer and tried every different type there was (that i could find) and i by complete default tried scotch becuase it is a whiskey but totally different – from that point on, i went on a scotch adventure.... triing every single malt and blended whereever they may lie... i have settled on glenfiddich as the best – but teh best beer in my opinion is steller atrios.

December 12, 2011 at 10:43 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

I haven't had a single cold that I can remember clearly since I started drinking a bottle of scotch whenver I get the sniffles.

December 12, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • hippypoet

I never got sick when i was drinking scotch all the time, it was only after i stopped and started drinking lesser boozes that i found myself to be getting a cold or the like.. now i see it from 2 angles one, i was just too drunk to care about being sick and therefore didn't realize i was and or 2, i just didn't get sick because i was younger and had a healthier immune system.
      Is it just me or do others find the same thing happens to them as well. I still thou find that i get less sick if i am to get sick anyway when drinking scotch...wierd. I know alcohol kills bacteria but does it work if you soak your body in it? And to that end, how i am still alive because i once drank 2-3 bottles of scotch a day plus beer as a chaser....no joke either – i have since put a stop to that as i have kids now, but i once lived drunk, tripped out, and high all the time and i required a CRAP LOAD to get me there ... and i was NEVDER

December 12, 2011 at 11:16 am |
    • hippypoet

Is it just me or do others find the same thing happens to them as well. I still thou find that i get less sick if i am to get sick anyway when drinking scotch...wierd. I know alcohol kills bacteria but does it work if you soak your body in it? And to that end, how i am still alive because i once drank 2-3 bottles of scotch a day plus beer as a chaser with weed, i put back an oz every 2-3 days while smoking cigs too – a pack a day....no joke either – i have since put a stop to that as i have kids now, but i once lived drunk, tripped out, and high all the time and i required a CRAP LOAD to get me there ... and i was NEVER SICK until i ceased the death march.
      Again, not braggin just sayin it like it is and was!
      I only smoke weed now and drink a little bit, just to finish off the debauched chunk of my life – it did yield some of the most amazing works of art thou. 🙂

December 12, 2011 at 11:22 am |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

@hippy – Bro no wonder your thoughts are as irrational as they are. Glad you stopped though.

December 12, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • hippypoet

i wouldn't say my thoughts are irrational, just different from yours. See yours is based on faith and all choices made are formed with heaven in mind...while mine are formed by information gathered and other research done. Not saying that you haven't done any research just saying that i can do and say the correct answer without first thinking if it will cause me to go to hell. That is a delusional mind at work. People put too much value on thoughts that can't be proven – and to that end they created a word to express such things without calling themselves insane – faith!

December 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm |