home
RSS
Tebow’s success has commentators, fans discussing God's role in football
December 12th, 2011

Tebow’s success has commentators, fans discussing God's role in football

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – Tim Tebow led his team to another come-from-behind victory Sunday, this time against the Chicago Bears. He has now won seven out of eight games as the Denver Broncos’ starting quarterback, all the while unabashedly preaching his devout faith in God.

"If you were not a believer coming into this game,” said Fox's Daryl Johnston after the Broncos win, “you have to be now.”

While Tebow’s unexpected success on the field has perplexed football commentators and fans alike, his faith and on-field success have led people to talk about belief, miracles and their impact on the sports world.

Tebow has even convinced some nonbelievers that more is going on than just football. Les Carpenter of Yahoo Sports, after assuring readers that he believes in evolution, dinosaurs and the big bang, writes this:

"But I also believe in Tim Tebow because there is no scientific explanation for what is happening to the Denver Broncos. There is no other plausible way to make sense of these games and the amazing, miraculous way with which they win week after week. … It just happened."

The question is this: Does Tim Tebow’s unexpected success, with his awkward scrambling style and his shotput-esque throwing motion, have something to do with a higher power?

Does Tebow really have God on his side?

The answers to that question run the gamut, and while the general consensus is that something special is happening in Denver, there are just as many who believe Tebow is benefiting from a good team as those who believe God sports the blue and orange on Sunday.

Bronco fans are not shy about discussing faith and their team.

In an article titled “Tim Tebow has the Broncos believing they can’t lose,” Mark Kiszla exhibits an overt belief that Tebow is getting help from upstairs. He writes:

“The magic of Tim Tebow is bigger than football and grows larger with each late-game miracle by the Broncos. Logic fails to explain this no-way-in-heaven, overtime victory against Chicago, unless you consider: Denver played as if victory were preordained.”

Looking for religion in that paragraph (between the uses of miracle, heaven and preordained) doesn’t take reading between the lines. And that wasn’t even as blatant as when Rick Telander of the Chicago (the town Tebow just defeated) Sun-Times appealed to God directly.

“And God, if you’re reading, doing some Monday-morning quarterbacking, would you mind telling the rest of us what’s up with this proselytizing young minister who did nearly a full minute of his famed “Tebow-ing” on the goal line, balancing motionless on one knee, chin on fist like Rodin’s “The Thinker,” while the rest of his team lined up for the opening kickoff?”

Telander even offered to speak in tongues, which surprisingly enough wasn’t the first time that idea came up on Sunday.

Former New York Giant Michael Strahan, when asked about Tebow after the game, jokingly spoke in tongues after the game to show his astonishment at the win.

But not everyone is a believer.

In post-game interviews, Bears players told the Chicago Sun-Times that “It’s not really what he is doing” and that no one was panicked because it was “Tebow Time.”

People online were equally skeptical.

If deciding whether Tebow is God’s quarterback were a football game, Twitter would be the field. Believers and skeptics have used the platform to make their case between a mixture of hash tags and fake accounts.

People tweeted about Chicago’s bad defense and Tebow’s rough three quarters. They also asked why God favors Tebow’s belief, while players on other teams believe in God, too. What makes him special, people questioned?

A fake Jesus Christ account, @Jesus_M_Christ, tweeted: "I think Dad loves @TimTebow more than me."

With all of this talk on Twitter, including from the Tebow doubters, four topics relating to Tebow, including #tebow and #themilehighmessiah, were trending worldwide on Twitter.

But not all football fans are ready to ordain Tebow. The New York Times’ Frank Bruni, who did acknowledge that he was a believer in Tebow, writes about this disbelief:

“Tebow performs a sort of self-righteous bait-and-switch — you come for scrimmages and he subjects you to scriptures — and the displeasure with that is also writ colorfully on the Web, in Tebow-ridiculing Twitter feeds and Facebook pages, one devoted entirely to snapshots through time of Tebow in tears.”

“We’re a team that keeps the faith,” Tebow told Fox sideline reporter Tony Siragusa after Sunday’s game. “We just kept believing.”

Whether it is belief in God, good play or a mixture of both, the quarterback whom the Wall Street Journal has anointed “God’s Quarterback” will continue to start for the Broncos and fans will certainly be watching.

And maybe that is Tebow’s biggest accomplishment. In a year when the sports world has been rocked by scandals both on and off the field, Tebow has people interested in a positive sports story.

So whether they are watching because they believe in miracles or because they just like football, does it really matter?

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Christianity • Sports

soundoff (2,257 Responses)
  1. Dino

Read your money

December 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Patrick

Read your history.

December 12, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • HellBent

"In god we trust" was added in the 1950s. It was a response to those evil non-believing soviets – a reaction born out of fear.

Fail. Try again.

December 12, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • yeahalright

K now what?

December 12, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • Ok

READ the constitution, separation of church and state!

December 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • Sid

For my money, there isn't a god.

December 12, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • Canus

I think that he might be trying to say that since God's name was added to our currency as a graven image (see commandment #2) in the 50's as part of a propaganda campaign against an enemy nation, that surely he'd have have no problem with a highly paid sports celebrity using god as his personal "genie" to win at his game.

December 12, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
  2. Dino

Hellbent, you are, I am praying for you now to see the light.

December 12, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • Sid

And as with every other prayer, there is no result other than a complete waste of time.

December 12, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  3. Dino

this country was founded has has thrived for hundreds of years on biblical principles, so lets post facts not false statements that liberals spread amongst our uniformed society, thats what is bringing this country down

December 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • HellBent

"this country was founded has has thrived for hundreds of years on biblical principles, so lets post facts not false statements"

I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt and as.sume you were trying to be ironic

December 12, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • Nonimus

Sorry, what Biblical principle exactly covers freedom of religion?

December 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • derp

Name one biblical principle America was "founded" on.

December 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • Fookin' Prawn

C'mon, man, even I remember enough of high school to know how wrong you are. I know you *want* that to be true, but wishing won't make it so. You're using a computer; us it to research the beginnings of this country.

December 12, 2011 at 7:20 pm |
  4. WDinDallas

To the Atheists: Grab all your gay buddies and go to the Galapagos islands. Let's see how things work out in say 50 years.

December 12, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • HellBent

Were you attempting to sounds ignorant and bigoted? Or did you actually think you look smart making that comment?

December 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • USmellLikePee

Here's a better idea. How about you and your bigotted fundie friends go to the Galapagos and spend the next 50 years guessing what your god wants you to do and not do so that the rest of the free thinking societies can flourish and mankind can continue to evolve without you holding it back anymore?

December 12, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • derp

Ask your sister what miediktayztlyke.

See how that works out for you.

December 12, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  5. The LORD

Tim Tebow just beat me at checkers!!!

December 12, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  6. ShakenNotStirred

It's ridiculous that God would play any part in deciding the outcome of football games. And if he did, it's not like he would bother with the AFC West.

December 12, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  7. Juan

The purpose of Christianity is to spread the message of the incarnation and attonment of Christ. The sacrifice that was given for the forgiveness of sins. If certain people try to distort this message for their personal gain, that's on them. That has nothing to do with the Gospels. No one is saying that there aren't "religious" people who are doing more damage than good. The message of Christ is one of love and forgiveness. Many will point to attrocities committed in the name of God. Those acts are not the message of Christ and should not be held against belief in him. Don't put your trust in man.

December 12, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Barb Brennan

Amen, Juan. :)

December 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Jimbo

"The purpose of Christianity is to spread the message of the incarnation and attonment of Christ"
      -And this is what has caused the most attrocities of all.

December 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • Bob

Nice try at leaving out the gory bits in your bible Juan. Fail. Now get back to that goat sacrifice or god will smite you and torture you forever.

December 12, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  8. Dino

What proof do we need other than the proof itself, the bible is full of prophesies that come true, its the wor of God, and all the eyewitnesses agree and even gave thier life for it, thats proof enough for me to beleive and even the miricales in my life of answered prayer are personal proof, what proof do non blievers have that it is not true except none. or theory, even Darwin said for his theory to be true is like 1 in azillion x a zillion, why believe in that.?

December 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • yeahalright

Here, let me make something up. There is a gnome in my backyard. If I pray to him he can fix my back problems and more importantly grant me eternal life in heaven after this life. I have exactly the same amount of proof you do (i.e. somebody said it and wrote it down). I'm sorry you don't believe. I'll pray to the gnome for you.

That was very easy...and was exactly the same thing the authors of the bible did, time after time after time, often hundreds of years after the events it purports to describe. So do you believe in my gnome too? Why not? All it takes for you is somebody to make up a story and write it down no?

December 12, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Actually

"What proof do we need other than the proof itself, the bible is full of prophesies that come true, "

Nostradamus had prophecies come true, the Mayan's had prophecies that came true doesn't prove there is a god!

December 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Ok

"and all the eyewitnesses agree and even gave thier life for it"

That's why many of the accounts about Jesus were written 30 – 50 years AFTER he died. Ever play telephone in grade school? Plus when you factor in the all the other books that weren't included in the bible doesn't make for a good tale and proof your God exists.

December 12, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • derp

I predict the sun will rise tomorrow morning. That will be followed by a period of daylight. As the period of daylight wanes, the sun will move to the other side of the horizon, causing darkness.

I predict that it will happen again the next day.

My prophecies will come true because I am the almighty creator. Oh, and I don't help Tebow, I'm a Packers fan.

Would my team really lose any games?

December 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • Bob

Dino: your argument is circular. Google that and read up.

December 12, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  9. Juan

I've been a Christian my whole life. Spreading the message of the Gospel and trying to force people to believe like you do are two totally seperate things. I think what's "dragging this country into the toilet" is corrupt politicians. I wouldn't blame that on Christianity.

December 12, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Jimbo

The problem with politics is the people; on one side you have religious fanatics who will only vote one way becuase their whole entire denomonation votes the same way, on the other side you have a who group of fiends that do not work or work hard and will vote for whoever will give them the next handout. We are voting in these clowns becuase the two groups can't see the other side and what this country actually needs.

December 12, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Barb Brennan

This is true Juan, and these people that are making these rediculous immature comments aren't people to waiste time arguing wth, God forbid, one of them is under my bed! The only one I fear is God, and the reason they give these answers is be cause they are lost just as I once was, but when you pray and believe your prayers are answered, things happen in life that aren't very nice things, earthquakes, sunami's, volcano's, hurricanes, whatever the storm, it doesn't matter, they don't happen because God doesn't love us, because He does, He just wants you to love Him back, and though it may be very sad, nothing happens in this world without a reason. These people who oppose spiritually stable people, and it's not about religion at all, it's about your relationship with God, but these people that oppose me or you, just don't know the facts and the only way to learn the facts is to read the Bible, which they won't do, they will just try to give you every reason they think your wrong, because if they did study the Bible and know the truth, they would be where we are. So I pray for these people, because that's all we can do. The devil controls what they think at this point, we can only hope that they change their hearts....

December 12, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • Bob

Juan, "I've been a Christian my whole life." -what a waste of a life.

December 12, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  10. Bernie Lomax

Every time I think of Tebow, I donate money to Planned Parenthood. This post already cost me $20.

December 12, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Suzanne

May God have mercy on your soul.

December 12, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
    • derp

May santa claus have mercy on yours.

December 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Barb Brennan

I agree Suzanne, just pray for them.....

December 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • Bob

Good one Bernie.

December 12, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  11. Juan

The attack on Christianity continues. Funny how the "Belief" blog is populated by nothing but Atheists. Why waste your time if you don't believe?

December 12, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • derp

Because making light of you jesustards is amusing.

December 12, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • OK

"Why waste your time if you don't believe?"

Religious people are trying to shove their cult down our throats, look at the ranting done by George, he wants to get a President in the WH that believes as he does and then force their beliefs on everyone else. Religious nuts like that drag this country into the toilet are a disgrace to this country and are intolerant of those that are different. For example not giving civil rights to gays.

December 12, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • yeahalright

I think it's troubling when a sizeable portion of the adult population believes in fairy tales.

December 12, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Patrick

@Juan
      A little education would go along way with you and the other thumpers.
      Belief does not mean religion and certainly not Christianity. Check your dictionary.

December 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • Bob

Juan: because you idiots vote and impact public policy.

December 12, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  12. Barb Brennan

December 12, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • OK

"The devil is working overtime on these people who think God isn't the one they should trust in, you are all in my prayers..........."

You really think there is a devil? You really think there is a God? What proof do you have other than the bible?

December 12, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Jimbo

Do you pray that the tribes in the deep forest of South America that have never heard of christianity or god for that matter become infiltrated with your beliefs and toss out their traditions? I mean that is the only way they will get to heaven right, even if they have never sinned their entire life?

December 12, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • sam

Got off those meds a little too soon, Barb.

December 12, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Barb Brennan

Hey OK, serously, that and the fact that God has done miracles in my life, because I believe in Him and in His strength not mine, when I do God's will, God shows me mercy. When I do my will, He show's me that I shouldn't, that my way doesn't work, but with Him ALL things are possible even a back being healed in seconds, and addiction being healed, depression being healed, family wanting to be in your life because your a better person, when I say addiction being healed, I'm talking about the craving and the thoughts of whatever that addiction may be, God does not take away your addiction, that is your cross to bare in life, He will however take away the need for it, but if you believe what the devil tells you, that you are completely free of that addiction and you try to go back to whatever it was, you will find out that, this was not God's will but your own and YOU choose to believe the devil, that you could try it again. The only reason I can say this as fact, is because I took my will back many times, until I learned the lesson that God was trying to teach me, that If I want to do it my way, I will suffer for it, but if I choose to do it God's way, the addiction WILL be suppressed. Thank you Lord for your Love and Mercy on this sinner, In Jesus' name, I pray, Amen... You have to remember that if you don't give the creator the glory He deserves, you will end up in HELL on earth as I did.......you can CHOOSE to believe me or not, it doesn't matter, the only way you can find out, is for yourself...God gave a free will, choose correctly and you will be rewarded. I have only felt this way in the past yr, I am 47, I have children that are grown who suffered because of me, God brought them back because I chose Him....That's how I know there is a God and there is most certainly a devil, because I followed the devil for too long.....Say what you will, but there's no way you can hurt my feelings, I know what I did and I repented, that's all God wants from us....And He is the only ONE I have to answer too... :) God Bless you, as He has Blessed me...

December 12, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • Crazy Lady

THEY ARE DARKSIDED!!!

December 12, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  13. The Catholic Church holy Rome Vatican

IF TEBOW WIN'S THE SUPER BOWL WE ARE GONNA STOP TOUCHING LITTLE KIDS. APPARENTLY GOD IS REALLY WATCHING EVERY THING WE DO.

December 12, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • Barb Brennan

Wow, how old are you? Don't you know it is the devil that infiltrated the catholic church, God didn't make those priests molest children. I use to be a catholic, I have views from a few sides. There were and are anti-popes and sick men in the catholic church, that of course doesn't make all catholics evil, just the ones the devil got to, and why did that happen, because the catholic church never wanted the Bible to be read by anyone other than the popes and higher ups in the church, because we were just supposed to believe what we were told, if we read the Bible for ourselves we would learn the truth, and if your wondering what that truth is, I suggest you read the Bible for yourself and find out, instead of following people who just want you to believe what they say is the truth. It changed my life and ergo my life is so much better for it. God is love and He will show you mercy, if you believe that Jesus died for our sins, so we could go to heaven. I know I'd much rather be in a place with no more tears, no more sorrow, no more pain, then burining in hell for eternity, have you ever burnt your finger? How did that feel? I'm guessing not very good, I know I didn't like it much, well imagine your entire body burning like that! Don't believe me? You don't have to, Believe God and what He tells us is true, since He is the ALPHA and the OMEGA, He was the beginning and He will Be the END... God Bless You....

December 12, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • TEH DEBIL

I'm under your bed, Barb.

December 12, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  14. George

Atheists tried to get rid of religion in the Soviet Union. Today Christianity in Russia is flourishing. You will never get rid of religion.

December 12, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • USmellLikePee

You're right. Sometimes chemo doesn't get all of the cancer...

December 12, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • .

usmelllikepee-enough of ur peeing

December 12, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  15. Andy Breeden

If God is helping the Broncos, then they're cheating. Tebow wouldn't cheat, therefore there's no God. Rock-solid logic, by Christian standards anyway.

December 12, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  16. Jimbo

Actually god supports marijuana and shows his support for all the despensaries and distribution of the good green he gave us as a gift by allowing a few Bronco wins.

December 12, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  17. IS GOD REAL ?????

There have been a couple of posters on here that left a few negative comments about my belief in God. I am not going to call you out to start an argument or debate. But for any unbeliever on here that might be borderline, I would encourage you to ask a believer why they believe in God or what happened to them to make them a believer, before you start bashing them. Some believers including myself have very specific reasons why we believe in God. I myself believe in God because of many events that have occured in my life that I can not deny within the last 10 years.

For one example, I have experienced immediate healing in my back when I did not have health insurance to go see a doctor. After some time of studying the bible and going to church to learn about healing. I remember being in my bedroom alone and praying for God in the name of Jesus to heal my back. As soon as i lay in my bed, the power of God hit my body like an electrical charge. I remember it feeling like someone cutting an opening in my back with a knife and there was an intense amount of heat going through my body. My backed was healed after this event. This is something that actually happened to me that I can not deny and I could feel it.

Second example, after competing against Dwight Philips( Olympic champion ) when I was as long jumper. I injured my knee badly and i knew I had ligament damage in my knee , I couldnt walk right or even bend my knee. I still did not have health insurance and did not want to have surgery because I was training for the 2000 Olympic Trials. Once again I got in my bible and starting praying for healing in the name of Jesus. I could feel heat running through my body over a period of several days. I recovered from a severe knee injury in less than 2 weeks without any surgery or going to see anyone and went on to set a personal best in the long jump and compete in the Olympic trials.

All of my prayers have not been answered, but most of them have been. You can call me an idot or stupid, but I know for a fact God is real. I was an unbeliever who decided to get into the word of god , just like I would study calculus or physics and
    as a result of my pursuit of God , he has manifested himself to me on many other occassions.

It is very easy to say God doesn't exist if you make no attempt to get to know him or do not want to even make an attempt to see for yourself if he is real , by testing the word of God. You can test the word of God just like science with the proper teaching from a GOOD church, if you want to know the truth and that will settle the inner debate.

December 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • OhMy

"There have been a couple of posters on here that left a few negative comments about my belief in God. I am not going to call you out to start an argument or debate."

Then you shouldn't have posted if you didn't want to start a debate...what an idiot.

December 12, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Jimbo

Not worth reading the ramblings above ^

December 12, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • IS GOD REAL ?????

@Ohmy there is no debate in my post. I am not debating anyone.

December 12, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • Actually

Your back and knee were healed by believing in yourself and that healing, your brain has that power but because of religion it is left untouched by humanity. I broke my foot, didn’t have insurance and believing in myself to heal – it healed just fine, no cast, no brace. I tore all the ligaments in my groin, I believed I would be ok and it would heal – I am completely fine today. – No god needed. You have to believe in your own energy, your own healing and it can come about, especially if your are happy and laugh a lot. The power of positive thinking, the energy power of our brains, is a great untapped tool of the human race but religion gets in the way.

December 12, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • George

December 12, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Jimbo

The evangelicals? You guys don't do a very good job making yourselves out to be intelligent and open minded, probably the worst out of all the christian sub groups. Didn't the evangelicals start the creation museum?

December 12, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • Boris

Actually, George, most atheists have had to attend church previously in their lives. In many cases, that experience is a big part of why we don't believe. Christianity in its many forms is hard to avoid in the West, and evangelicals are the worst of a bad lot.

In return, maybe you should take off the blinders and do a bit of reading. Books like Letter to A Christian Nation by Sam Harris and God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens would be a good start for you on the path to unlearn the dogma that grips you.

December 12, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • Actually

"I would encourage unbelievers to attend a few services in a good Bible-believing Evangelical church. There is no way that they will walk away without questioning their disbelief."

No, it only demonstrates the stupidity of some humans, nothing more.

December 12, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • Haha

^let's put a saddle on that T-rex and take her for a spin Jesus.

December 12, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • Barb Brennan

GOD IS REAL!!! I have had miracles happen in my life, for 30 yrs I have been dealing with depression and on meds for just as long, when I started reading the Bible and searching for God, I started praying about things in my life that I asked God to fix or help me with and there have been many, God removed my depression and I have been off meds for a yr. Prayer changes things, and when you change the way you think, it changes the way you feel, and when you give your heart to God and do His will and not your own, or think that your will power will make it better, God can and will do miracles in your life. If you don't believe me, I dare you, no I double dare you to try it, and those that don't, can't say it doesn't work!!!!! In Jesus' name I pray that everyone who reads this tries it for a yr and then let me know if you still don't believe. And if you don't you haven't been honest with yourself......Amen........

December 12, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • Boris

What Jimbo said. Wow, that creation museum is an embarrassment to humanity.

December 12, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • IS GOD REAL ?????

@acutally

Inregards to my back ,I am referring to an immediate healing that occured in about 30 seconds or less. It was not the body healing itself I can assure you. i do agree that the body can heal itself gradually, but what I am talking about is something totally differnet than what you are referring too.

December 12, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • Actually

"Inregards to my back ,I am referring to an immediate healing that occured in about 30 seconds or less."

Yeah a good night sleep always helps, plus your back wasn't as hurt as you are claiming. ;-) That's how a religion starts people make unfounded, unproven claims, it' must be a god! LOL!

December 12, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • George

If you are so sure in your disbelief, how would it hurt you to attend a few services? Apparently, your disbelief is so shakey that it can't withstand the power of Evangelicals.

December 12, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • Jimbo

I'd go to a service if I could keep myself from laughing outloud, but I couldn't so you wouldn't want me there.

December 12, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • IS GOD REAL ?????

@Actually,

You are exactly right !!!! I can not prove my experience to you and you can not disprove my experience as well. but the whole point to my posting is that you can test the scriptures to find it out for yourself. Just like you can test chemistry. Thats what I did and thats what I am referring to in my comments. I wanted to know the truth so I sought it and it worked for me.

December 12, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Actually

"Thats what I did and thats what I am referring to in my comments. I wanted to know the truth so I sought it and it worked for me."

It was just you all along, no god needed, that's the POINT!

December 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • HellBent

"you can test the scriptures to find it out for yourself. Just like you can test chemistry."

No, you can't. Not the hocus pocus parts, anyway. And a lot of the other parts fail anyway (the 'historical' parts). And, by definition, your back being healed in no way (unless it was docu.mented and reviewed by experts in the appropriate field and results in a repeatable phenomenon) resembles a chemistry test.

December 12, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Bizarre

George - "Apparently, your disbelief is so shakey that it can't withstand the power of Evangelicals.'

Apparently, Evangelicals' power is so shaky that it can't overcome lack of our physical presence.

btw, I was a believer for over 40 years and attended many thousands of services. It is bunk.

December 12, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Boris

Barb, that's the usual weak testimony. Consider now alll the millions of cases of innocent people whose lives have been made miserable from famines and droughts and other disasters. Many of them prayed to god, and he apparently did nothing to help them. All indications are that what you experienced is just accidental, and that prayer does nothing.

December 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Boris

George, you seem to have missed the point. Most western atheists are familiar with evangelical claims and many of us have attended services in the past. That's part of why we don't believe; we saw right through the nonsense. You just haven't, yet.

December 12, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Every time I question my disbelief, I come up with the same answer: "No, I've got it right. There are no gods, not even just one, no satan or Santa Claus, no jesus or Easter Bunny, no unicorns or leprahchauns, no angels, ghosts or goblins. Just lots of people in cults clinging to childhood superstitions and parental indoctrination."

December 12, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  18. Jubus

Tebow is the devil.

December 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Barb Brennan

I would turn that inwards to yourself Jubus, the devil is within you.....praying for you

December 12, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Boris

So Barb, who would such a devil be praying to?

December 12, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • Barb Brennan

Boris, that made no sense, Jubus has the devil in him, so I'm praying for Jubus.....Tebow is not the devil....Is that clear enough for you? The devil doesn't pray...............

December 12, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Barb: I think there's a real possibility that Tebow is the antichrist. He wears number 15. and 1+5 = 6. A touchdown is worth 6 points. Finally, Denver has won 6 games in a row!

It's clear he has the mark of the beast. His praying is false prayer meant to deceive.

December 12, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  19. jmadey

as a disgraced bears fan, i feel god should return his focus on his only chosen people, those lovely israelites. tebow is too dumb to know he's not lucky enough to be in that exclusive club.

December 12, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  20. iconoclast

So if he credits god for victory, does that mean he gets to blame god when he loses? Heckuva buck passing mechanism. I didn't lose the game, it was god's will!

December 12, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • yeahalright

No...convoluted rule number whatever: Everything good: God's doing. Everything bad: human's fault.

December 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

You misspelled it... you meant " god swill "

December 12, 2011 at 6:30 pm |