home
RSS
Bush aide finds forgiveness and a second career
Tim Goeglein was fired for plagiarism but found forgiveness from the president he wronged.
December 13th, 2011

Bush aide finds forgiveness and a second career

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Washington (CNN)– Tim Goeglein never expected to see the president again, let alone get called into the Oval Office, because he committed the ultimate Washington sin - he betrayed the boss.

"The leader of the free world has lots of people to see, he has lots of things to do," Goeglein said, sitting in his office at Focus on the Family, where he is now vice president of external relations.

"The thing that leaders of the free world don't often do, probably, is ask aides who have just embarrassed them and brought shame upon the White House, they don't typically invite them to the Oval Office," he said.

But that Goeglein said is exactly what then-President George W. Bush did.

February 29, 2008, Goeglein said, was the worst day of his life.

He was made. His secret exposed.

Goeglein was a staffer in the Bush administration, an aide to Karl Rove, who dealt with faith-based groups.

That day in 2008, Goeglein was caught plagiarizing a column he wrote for his hometown paper in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Goeglein copied large sections of an essay for The News-Sentinel nearly verbatim from author Jeffery Hart, whose writings appeared in the Dartmouth Review in 1998.

Goeglein had written a weekly column for the paper and after the plagiarism was first discovered, editor Kerry Hubartt said they found instances of plagiarism in two other columns from Goeglein.

Once he was found out, Goeglein knew his actions would reflect on his boss, the president. He resigned and thought he would be banished from the Beltway forever, a fate he says he fully deserved.

That day the White House issued a terse statement:

"Today, Tim accepted responsibility for the columns published under his name in his local newspaper, and has apologized for not upholding the standards expected by the President."

"The President was disappointed to learn of the matter, and he was saddened for Tim and his family. He has long appreciated Tim's service, and he knows him to be a good person who is committed to his country," the statement read.

"It is true. I am entirely at fault. It was wrong of me. There are no excuses," Goeglein wrote at the time in an e-mail apologizing to The News-Sentinel.

"I was not the senior-most person and I was not a confidant to the president," he says now, but his fall from grace was spectacular nonetheless.

But what was unknown at the time was what happened behind closed doors between the aide and the president.

In a new book, "Man in the Middle: An Inside Account of Faith and Politics in the George W. Bush Era," Goeglein paints a picture of a sympathetic president who forgave him, an act that allowed him to have that rarest of political moments, a second act in Washington.

He was exposed on a Friday and promptly resigned, confessing what he had done.

It was a bad place for any employee to be - let alone the liaison to the Christian community.

Monday, he came back to clean out his desk.

The White House chief of staff stopped by and told him, "The boss wants to see you."

A few days later, Goeglein found himself in front of the president.

Goeglein writes he tried to apologize but was cut off.

"Tim, I want you to know I forgive you," Goeglein recounts the president told him. He tried again to apologize and again was cut off by President Bush.

"I have known mercy and grace in my own life, and I am offering it to you now. You are forgiven."

The president then asked him to join him in front of the fireplace in a chair normally used by the vice president or heads of state for photo opportunities. The two chatted about the past eight years working together, and they prayed, Goeglein writes.

Goeglein said the president invited him back to the White House numerous times after that meeting, including with his family the week after the act of forgiveness, validating Goeglein in front of his wife and children. He also attended the president's farewell at Andrews Air Force Base in 2009.

Had he kept his nose clean, Tim Goeglein would have likely gone unnoticed by history.

But is it precisely because of his sin that his words are given weight.

He says he saw a side of Bush that he says bears recording, one of compassion rooted in faith. That intersection of faith and public life stirred him to reopen a personal and public wound. He wanted to show, "How does the man live his faith?"

"I experienced as a result of George W. Bush's grace and mercy, at a very personal level, a very important chapter of forgiveness in my own life and the ability to start again," he said.

Goeglein says Bush's legacy is being looked at anew, a fact which played into his decision to write the book.

When Bush left office he was deeply unpopular. The country was mired in a down economy and two wars.

"I wanted to show, not just how his faith impacted the domestic and foreign and security policies, which I do, but I also wanted to show in real human terms how his faith impacted his relationships," Goeglein said.

From his desk in the second floor of a bright town house at Focus on the Family in Washington, Goeglein can look across the street to the Supreme Court. His walls are covered with artifacts from a career inside the beltway: photos of him with Bush, a Richard Nixon autograph, an Inauguration ticket stub, reproductions of the founding documents.

In his new capacity he has worked with President Barack Obama on his fatherhood initiative, a program that has crossed party lines.

As far as Goeglein is concerned, none of this would be possible were it not for a single act of forgiveness.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Church and state • Politics

1. Liberal Conservative........Conservative Liberal

Wow all you people are absolute morons. Never in my life have I seen so many ignorant comments. I feel bad for you all, life must be really tough for you if that's what you really think and your behavior in real life is at all similar. Although I doubt many of you say this stuff in real life because you're the biggest cowards of them all

December 13, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • .....

Use your real name coward.

December 13, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • Noel

You see what I did there? I crack myself up.

December 13, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  2. GodPot

Anyone else think Bush was soft on him likely because he knew what it was like to plagerize? Did George "You can't get fooled again" Bush actually graduate Yale on his own merit?

December 13, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  3. SPA Knight

It's so obvious from many of the posts that forgiveness is a foreign concept to those blinded by their own hatred of one man named George Bush. Let's all forgive Clinton for taking advantage of a young female intern in the oval office because that's so much easier to do. How pathetic and twisted.

December 13, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • HellBent

I don't know about you, but I personally find it easier to forgive someone for infidelity than for lying to start a war that results in the death of thousands of innocent people. But maybe my morals are just screwed up because they don't come from a 2,000+ year old book.

December 13, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • SPA Knight

December 13, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • hmmmmm

"Did you just wake up after the apple hit you in the head and know right from wrong."

Our morals are a product of man learned over a period of time, there is no god. It was men who wrote various religions, it was man that has tried to create laws based on those morals. We continue to learn from our mistakes, we continue to grow in our morals through our laws and challenging those laws. There was no god involved.

December 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • SPA Knight

hmmmmm, in this country our laws are based on Christian principles and not developed by trial and error. By the way, we do not learn from our mistakes. Study history and you'll see that continue to repeat our mistakes and that's because we keep putting our faith in men and women instead of God. If we learned from our mistakes we would not have elected a socialist who wants to destroy our freedom. I believe germany made a similar mistake many many years ago.

December 13, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
    • HellBent

" in this country our laws are based on Christian principles and not developed by trial and error."

No they aren't, and yes they are. Try picking up a history book or reading just about anything about the founding fathers, and then go learn about the legislative process. Alternatively: ask a sixth grader.

December 13, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • HellBent

"HellBent, where do your morals come from if not a 2000 year book? Did you just wake up after the apple hit you in the head and know right from wrong."

Evolution, logic, and reasoning for a start. Do you actually think that morals didn't exist before the bible?

December 13, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Church of Suicidal

Yet another fool who does not understand the difference between socialism and fascism.

December 13, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • HeavenSent

HellBent, correction. The basics of morals is all you have from parents that learned them from Jesus. To bad you refuse how to strengthen the basics of what was taught you. Oh, well, it's that peer pressure that gets you all the time.

Amen.

December 13, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • You're Dumb

@hellbent – Could you please not drop out of school? I fear you have a lot of learning to do and would hate to see you work as a janitor.....unless you're one already?

December 13, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Church of Suicidal

Dear "Heaven Sent",

The basis of what you like to think of as your Christian morals predate Jesus. What about Moses and the 10 commandments? And do you truly believe that no one lived a moral life before these laws were handed down? Maybe you need to be threatened with eternal damnation before you do the right thing, but some of us are quite capable of knowing right from wrong without being religious.

December 13, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • You're Dumb

@church of suidicial – So if you could steal $1M from someone knowing that you'd never get caught would you?

Your moral argument is flimsy. I know many atheists in my life and the majority of them hold that position not because they've really analyzed it and wanted to find truth, but because they want to do whatever they feel like and don't want to have to report to anybody but themselves. All the while criticizing how stupid religion is when it's so obvious why they chose their path. If God is real then suddenly you're accountable for your and that scares the heII out of a lot of them.

December 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Church of Suicidal

Dear You're Dumb,

You seem to be missing my point. I am accountable to someone. I am accountable to me. I am accountable to my fellow man. I refrain from going on an interstate crime spree not because I fear hell. And it's not because I fear getting caught and being sent to jail. In terms you can relate to, it's what Jesus called the Golden Rule: Treat others as you would be treated. I'm not running around stealing everything I can get my hands on because I have empathy. So, no, I would not steal the million dollars. Unless it was from you. But I would know that it was wrong...

December 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • SPA Knight

Eternal damnation is a choice an individual makes when he rejects the love of God his creator. God doesn't reject us even in our disobedience, in fact he himself came to earth in the form of Jesus to provide us with a plan for our salvation in order to avoid eternal damnation but that requires our cooperation, humility and repentance. He willingly forgives us for our transgressions against him and each other as any father would but he does expect us to change our ways and live as were originally intended with holy dignity. That's what it means to be created in his image. That's pretty good news and circles back to the original notion that we should forgive one another.

December 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • .....

"we keep putting our faith in men and women instead of God. I"

That's why your god made a mistake and supposedly killed everyone. LOL! Some of the worse morals can be found in your bible – a woman having to marry her rapist, stone your children to death for talking back, etc..etc...

December 13, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • .....

"Eternal damnation is a choice an individual makes when he rejects the love of God his creator. "

So your god creates people knowing they are going to reject them, knowing that they will make that choice and then puts them in a fire of hell for the choice he already knew they would make. That's not a god, that is a monster!

December 13, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • SPA Knight

@.........
      God didn't make any mistakes and what leads the world to destruction is our own actions not that of God. Throughout scriptural history, God continues to renew covenants with Noah, Abraham, Moses etc. because the people turn from God, not the other way around. Then Jesus came for the new and final covenant. He came to give up his own life as payment for the our sins precisely because he knew we could not earn salvation on our own. That is the ultimate gift that restores our access to eternity but we must accept the gift. His desire is not to throw anyone into the fires of hell but to gather all who love him into his presence. I'm very sorry if you read in scripture where a woman was expected to marry her rapists. That cannot be any teaching from Jesus since it violates the very foundation of love.

December 13, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • Here's to all of You

A lot of poisonous speech in here. Must be the weather.

@@SPA Knight " in this country our laws are based on Christian principles"? Like the death penalty? Corporate laws and lobbyists that keep the poor where they belong, in the gutter? The stockmarket would be regulated by exactly what? Old testament? Life insurance based on Christian principles? (well, you went to heaven, you're not really dead, therefore we won't pay your family] Are we talking about the principles where women wearing pants get stoned to death? WWJD?

"we do not learn from our mistakes. .. [we] continue to repeat our mistakes and that's because we keep putting our faith in men ...instead of God." Soooo, should god run for office in the White House? Wait, he's god, he doesn't need to run, he can just move in. Scratch democracy, the new firm is called "theocracy"

"If we learned from our mistakes we would not have elected a socialist who wants to destroy our freedom. I believe germany made a similar mistake many many years ago."
      I
      'I'll take it from here since I grew up in Germany and have an advanced degree in european history. The National Socialist party was 'socialist' only in name, kind of like a RINO. SINO, socialist in name only.
      We learned from the mistakes, 67 million Americans decided that we did NOT need another republican president for a while.

What is your suggestion? Who would qualify for the highest office in the land. Every single candidate would be human !! Really, I was joking only about god running this place from the White House.
      A. He'd have to take over Bejing, Paris, London, Berlin and the other countries too. Otherwise, no fair.
      B. He is an old maid's tale that we only learn about from some books that can't be proven right or wrong.
      C. If we didn't like his policies, we couldn't even vote him out of office.
      D. Which of his many churches would he favor? Catholics -they were the first after all, protestants, lutherans, russian orthodox, baptists, methodists, Bahaii, Judaism? Remember, that separation of church and state thingy, our forefathers, yes? Or will their ideas be put on hold too?
      E. What form would his state of the union address take? Would we see him, teleprompters? Can republicans yell "you lie"?
      F. If Iran gets nukes, would god nuke them, or would he let them nuke us?
      G. Would your presidential god prevent insurance fraud? Would every citizen have health insurance?

I must ask you these questions and assume that you meant god in the WH.
      Because everybody else would be human, some would put their faith in the president , some would not.
      Who is right? All men are flawed, sinners. So we couldn't really trust anyone. Everyone of them will have a different interpretation of god or the lack thereof. You have to think seriously about what your view of this country and the world looks like. I see some big flaws in there. But I forgive you, you're only human.

December 14, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • HellBent

@You're dumb – you can't form any response to what I actually said, so you resort to a fourth-grade level ad hominem attack. Those in glass houses...

December 14, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  4. Leroy

What nauseating treacle. It means little that Bush chose to forgive one of his own, one who shared all the appropriate idealogical credentials. It would have meant a lot more had he expressed forgiveness, or even tolerance, to anyone that did not march lockstep with him. It is no small irony that Bush's forgiveness opened the door for Goeglein's "second act" in Washington: pushing the government with all his might to marginalize gays and anyone else who does not fit within his, and Bush's, narrow vision of a biblically defined family. Where's the forgiveness for all these so-called sinners?

December 13, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • George

" pushing the government with all his might to marginalize gays and anyone else who does not fit within his, and Bush's, narrow vision of a biblically defined family. Where's the forgiveness for all these so-called sinners?"

These people are not repenting and are continuing to live in sin. Forgiveness requires repentence.

December 13, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • Leroy

So, if you're not marching lockstep with Bush, forgiveness is not an option. I'm sure Jesus said that somewhere in the bible. Or was it "love thine enemy?" I forget.

December 13, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • George

No, I don't march in lockstep with Bush. I think he's a good man, but I know what the Bible says.

December 14, 2011 at 12:00 am |
  5. The Other Michael in Houston

Field1stSGT: You are joking correct? President G. W. Bush is above reproach???? What a kool-aid drinker you are 1st SGT. God is turning his back on the USA??? Help me out bible thumpers....isn't there a few lines in your book that stastes God loves all and is here for all......oh is it just he/she loves evangelical types?????? And nice of you christians to accuse others of cherry picking the bible. Religion is whack and will destroy the earth before man will.

December 13, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • Michael's Mother in houston

Michael – I told you to get back to your homework. Now start studying your history or else you're grounded for 2 weeks!

Kids these days, think they know it all when they know nothing.

December 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • ... --- ...

@Michael's Mother in Houston

How in the world did you manage to whelp such a dufus?

December 14, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  6. Crisp

I like turtles.

December 13, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • I hate turtles because of you

YOU!
      Considering the problems you've caused around here, you should be ashamed of yourself!
      I would gladly rip the guts out of every turtle in the world just to show you how plssed off I am at you!!!
      What the hell is wrong with you and why won't you stop hijacking names?
      Aren't you glad I can't get my hands on you? You would suffer something I will not mention if I had you in reach!

December 13, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • JetLi

@Crisp
      You scared?

December 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  7. Thomas

Forgive , yet never forget !

December 13, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
  8. Ungodly Discipline

I hate myself, isn't it clear? I post angry and idiotic responses to anybody who wants good. I blame religion, but deep down I just really hate myself, it's painfully obvious.

December 13, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • What Have We Become?

Even though you're clearly imitating that guy, I'd bet those are his exact thoughts. I've known many people in my life who are angry bitter and go around blaming everyone else for their problems. The truth is; they are extremely unsatisfied with themselves and instead of looking inwards, they want to blame everyone else. They are truly the biggest cowards of all.

December 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • LOL

Hahahahaha ungodly got burnedddddddddd by his own handle. He didn't even respond bc he knows it's true!

December 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • ......

"I hate myself, isn't it clear? I post angry and idiotic responses to anybody who wants good. I blame religion, but deep down I just really hate myself, it's painfully obvious"

The faults you see in other people are the faults you have within yourself. So maybe it's time to take a good hard look at that log in your eye.

December 13, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
    • KWR

We pray for those who have forgotten how or who have never prayed, and for those who no longer believe or who have never believed. For theirs is a lack of true joy and/or a risk of forfeiture of eternal life.

December 13, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Alfred E Neuman

Take a hard look with a log in the eye? Right.

December 13, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • George

December 13, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Actually

"I've always suspected that atheists are bitter people, but I'm glad that you are honest enough to own up to it. I will pray for you."

You really aren't that dumb are you? Wow!

December 13, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Fookin' Prawn

Not a big surprise to discover that George has a faulty sarcasm radar.

December 13, 2011 at 3:07 pm |

To "What have we become" and "LOL":

I would have responded sooner but I have a responsible job helping others. I hate no one, including myself. I enjoy playing around on the blogs, sometimes I am serious and sometimes I am just a big goof. And sometimes people steal my name. Those are the worst people on blogs. Bad edicate. Shame on you. I am a Temporal Agnostic and enjoy batting the ball around with both believers and atheists’, although I certainly agree far more with atheists’. The believers are stuck in some kind of strange delusional time warp that I can only assume is a product of some combination of stupidity, ignorance and indoctrination. So if I come on the blogs for a little entertainment, I don't feel bad about it. Until any of you believers have anything intelligent to say you get what you deserve. And if you ever do win an argument, good for you and hearty well-done. I have not seen it yet though. Happy Holidays!

December 13, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  9. Debbie

Focus on the Family the Christian Sharia Jihad organization. The focus is not on Christ but a family they have created to use Christ and Religion for social, political and economic gain. AKA Lucifer using deception and twisting of faith to decieve followers of Christ.

December 13, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
  10. FIELD1stSGT

I spit on you ungodly Obama supporters. You haven't a clue as to what is or was needed in the warsa with iraq and Afghanistan. You are so far out side the circle you should be firbidden from this country.

December 13, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Yuck! Stop spitting. It is Cold and Flu season!

December 13, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • J.W

I think what is needed is for the US not to be there.

December 13, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • Reagan80

Thank you for your service.

December 13, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
    • Keefster

Spit? "Firbidden?" I'm guessing your biggest lifetime hurdle was the sixth grade. You poor guy.

December 13, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • Church of Suicidal

Best of luck with that Starship-Troopers-only-Vets-get-full-citizenship-and-can-decide- who-stays-and-who-goes law. Until then, we all get a voice. My vote is for you to get out.

December 13, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • scottpt1

jeesh !!!!!

December 13, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  11. theoldadam

Forgiveness. The ultimate expression of love.

God bless them both.

December 13, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

And may they rot in prison for their crimes.

December 13, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
  12. ddblah

George is a good man!

December 13, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Gearge is a disgusting weezel. Dubya is DUMB. Dumb as a lump on a log. Stupid. An igornant man. Dangerous in that ignorance as evidenced by his profoundly ineffective and damaging terms as president.

December 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • Ken in NC

One poster wrote that George was a good man and I find myself in total agreement with him. KIng George was indeed a good man. George Bush on the other hand, well, I guess he is an OK man too.

December 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • dmf

@Ungodly Discipline, evidently, your posts reflect how much hatred there is in you towards one person...I pray that you will come to realize you need the same forgiveness, mercy and grace from God in your (and everyone's) imperfect life. Life is larger than these pathetic mean words and hatred. Don't forget, that eternity in fire that you spoke of – each of us has equal chance of ending up there, including you, unless there is repentance.

December 13, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
    • Reagan80

Dear "Ungodly": You're calling someone "dumb" who is smarter than you are. But, I guess you often do that.

December 13, 2011 at 1:02 pm |

@dmf (dum fk?)
      There is no God, hence there is no hell. You can't threaten people with something they don't even believe exists. I hate no one. I even love you dum fk.

December 13, 2011 at 5:01 pm |

Reagan80
      1. Who did I refer to as dumb that is smarter that me? And how would you even quantify that judgement since you don't know me?
      2. Even if I were dumb (which I am not in my opinion) I can still call someone dumb who still dumb while still being dumb myself. So where is your logic?

December 13, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  13. CM

The issue with Dubya was never personal. I always believed he was a genuine and honest man. The problem was that he wasn't the brightest man and was clearly being used as a puppet by people around him that lacked his character and compassion.

December 13, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Nice PC, but Dubya is DUMB. Dumb as a lump on a log. Stupid. An igornant man. Dangerous in that ignorance as evidenced by his profoundly ineffective and damaging terms as president.

December 13, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • Reagan80

Dear "Ungodly": It's getting worse. Now you're calling him "ignorant". He surely isn't ignorant. There's a difference between being ignorant and being dumb. You can get over being ignorant. Unfortunately, there's no cure for being dumb. Take yourself for example. You can get over being ignorant. But, don't waste your time trying to get smart.

December 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • Oy

Honest??? He LIED about WMD's to get us into a war with Iraq! Not to mention that Rove and Cheney were pulling the puppet strings the entire time. Honest. Wow. That's not the word I would go with.

December 13, 2011 at 1:23 pm |

@Reagan80

No he is very definately ignorant. Now if you are splitting hairs on the "dumb" reference fine. Be an As s hole if you want.

December 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
  14. What Have We Become?

I don't particularly agree with Focus on the Family on many issues, but I think we could all use a little more compassion and forgiveness in our lives. We all have sinned and being forgiven is what helps us become better people. If only I were as perfect as everyone of you commentors seem to be.

December 13, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Dubya should not be forgiven, and he sure as heck is in no position to forgive anyone else.

December 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • v_mag

Forgive all you like, on a personal level. Just don't elect these dweebs based on their religious beliefs.

December 13, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • Reagan80

Dear "Ungodly": Dumb AND unforgiving? That you should work on.

December 13, 2011 at 1:10 pm |

@Reagan80

Don't get your meaning. But that is ok, I don't feel like I am missing anything important.

December 13, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  15. Chad

George W. Bush is a good man

December 13, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Dubya is an embicile. It will take a decade to dig out of the whole he dug for this country. It is no wonder he would forgive a little weezle like that. Reminds him of himself.

December 13, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • Ah C'mon already

Yeah, so what if he lied to his country and invaded another nation under false pretenses and is directly responsible for the death of over 4000 US soldiers. Bet you think he "kept us safe" as well, right?

December 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • FIELD1stSGT

Ungodly Discipline
      You and the Obama people are the exact reason that God is turning his back on the USA. Your are trash and will remain so. The character of George W, Bush is above reproach. If we had a man of his character in the White House now the economy, no jobs and hate would have faded away. This man Bush, will go down in history asa a hero where your Obama will be seen as a destroyer and a fraud.

December 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm |

@field blah blah

Dang it! No one told me it was opposite day today!

December 13, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
    • J.W

Actually while Bush was in office the economy was worse than it is now, not as far as unemployment, but as far as economic growth.

December 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • Reagan80

Dear "Ungodly": "It will take a decade......"? So, you Dimocrats think you can ride that horse for a whole decade? Your boy has almost bankrupted us in 3 years. At this rate we won't be here in 7 more years.

December 13, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
    • Oy

Field1stSrg...WHAT are you smoking?!

December 13, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • huhuhu

With republitards, every day is opposite day.

December 13, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

No Reagan80, that was Dubya that bankrupted us. The worst president in the history of the United States. The second worst president in the United States, Ronald Reagn, did the same when he was in office. If we could just move the GOP freak show along back to the circus, life would be much better for the entire planet.

December 13, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • never forget

GW Bush is in no position to offer "forgiveness" to anyone. I was always taught that religon, All Religon is a tool for self enlightenment and self improvement. Some people who claim to be religous just use the bible to justify their own extreem views. When the religous people quit pointing fingers at others, using their religon to condem anyone who they disagree with the world will be a better place. I bet if a "libtard" (nice conservative smeer) had done part of what GW Bush has done The "religous right" would be calling for his head on a plate. Religon is not the problem it is some peoples use of religon.

December 14, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  16. rick d785

Yeah Tim good that you are at Fous on the Family-Satan

December 13, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Naw Tim bad that you are at mous on the pigmy-sould train

December 13, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  17. mdn

A liar and a cheater sharing a moment in front of the fire. Don't worry, there is a bigger, hotter fire waiting for both of them in the afterlife.

December 13, 2011 at 11:55 am |
    • rick d785

gawd i love your response!!!!!

December 13, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
    • pat

You surely are a fool.

December 13, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

It is times like this that I wished I believed in Hell. They would both surely enjoy an eternity there.

December 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • Reagan80

December 13, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Church of Suicidal

Actually, Reagan, the third year of Santorum's reign is what I picture hell to be like. Gingrich winning would be.....I don't know – a slightly less painful hell? Tarturus?

December 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Reagan80 said, "Dear "Ungodly": I imagine that 3 years into President Gingrich's first term you'll have another take on the existence of Hell."

I don't understand your point. Perhaps you can clarify. Hell does not exist so there is no way to understand it.

December 13, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  18. KG

to Portland tony –

May we politely disagree on whether plagiarism is an esoteric crime? I happen to believe in intellectual property rights, which Goeglein apparently didn’t. He chose, on three occasions, to appropriate the words, thoughts and ideas of others, and pass them off as his own. Further, if he was paid to write the weekly column mentioned in the article he used other peoples work for his own personal gain. As to whether plagiarism is a deadly sin, it’s hard to say without knowing Goegleins motives. If he was just too lazy to write his own article, then SLOTH might be applicable. If he just happened to like Harts work better than his own then ENVY might be applicable. And finally, as he put his own name to the plagiarized work, PRIDE or VAINGLORY might be applicable. Not being a religious or biblical scholar I’ll let other make up their own minds on the deadly sin issue. Not covered in the article is a discussion of whether Goeglein might be guilty of copyright violation, or whether the authors, Hart et al, from whom Goeglein stole the work, forgave him.

December 13, 2011 at 11:54 am |
    • Ungodly Discipline

He should be in jail. Not "forgiven" by the alpha weezel.

December 13, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  19. roscoe

George W copied all his high school and college work from other students so why would he hold that against anyone?

December 13, 2011 at 11:44 am |
    • Ungodly Discipline

The weezel club alumni meeting.

December 13, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  20. Church of Suicidal

In other words, God gave you a brain capable of independent thought, but ignore this gift and OBEY, my sheep, OBEY!

December 13, 2011 at 11:44 am |
    • What Have We Become?

Yes, we do have independent thought. I'm sorry that you only cherrypick the Bible to suit your own preconceived thoughts. Please look within and stop placing blame on others. My research and willingness to look at all sides for accuracy/legitimacy is what actually brought me to be a Christian.

December 13, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Well you seem to have missed the boat entirely on the accuracy thing.

December 13, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • MarcTTF

DId a Christian just accuse someone of cherrypicking the bible? Wow... I mean, wow that is rich!

December 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm |