home
RSS
December 15th, 2011

Gingrich vows to be faithful to wife

(CNN)–CNN's John King talked with Pastor Jim Garlow of Skyline Church in La Mesa, California and Richard Land, the head of the Southern Baptist Convention's public policy arm, about morality and the role of religion in the GOP race for 2012.

Land recently wrote an open letter to Newt Gingrich calling on him to, "Promise your fellow Americans that if they are generous enough to trust you wit the presidency, you will no let them down and that there will be no moral scandals in a Gingrich White House."

You can read more about Gingrich's rise with conservative evangelicals here: Newt Gingrich’s faith journey: How a thrice-married Catholic became an evangelical darling.

And don't miss John King U.S.A tonight at 7pm EDT, live from Iowa.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Baptist • Belief • Content Partner • Ethics • Leaders • Newt Gingrich • Politics

1. cenaless

Greetings! Quick question that's totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My blog looks weird when browsing from my apple iphone. I'm trying to find a template or plugin that
    might be able to correct this problem. If you have any recommendations, please share.
    Appreciate it!

July 14, 2013 at 1:31 am |
  2. Wedding expo raleigh nc

Union remains to be a legitimate agreement in spite of the spiritual qualifications ; what the law states requires that the pair sign wedding ceremony certification before witnesses prior to ...free wedding book

January 27, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
  3. Rosie in VA

Once......twice.......always a cheater.

January 8, 2012 at 7:30 am |
  4. Tim B

Not news, he did this when he married her.

December 20, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  5. David Johnson

Do you think Herman Cain, Rick Santorum and Michele Bachmann will owe the nation an apology, when they don't win the nomination? Cain is already out. Santorum and Bachman don't stand a prayer. And each of these, said god was on their side. Instead, god appears to be backing Gingrich. Guess god is a liar. Or doesn't exist. The Mormon could still win. That would be funny to. A non-Christian is bound to take good care of the Evangelicals. LOL.

Cheers!

December 17, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
  6. Ungodly Discipline

Kobe Bryant vows to be faithful to wife......oops, to late. That will be one hell of a check every month Kobe.

December 16, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  7. jk

Why is an ad for a TV program posted as a news article?

December 16, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  8. howard_feinski

Remember how Nixon taped his own nemesis? After Clinton, there's spermometers all over the place.

December 16, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  9. Revelati

And I vow to eat Spumante precisely at three every Wednesday afternoon...

December 16, 2011 at 4:01 am |
  10. tallulah13

I thought that the whole fidelity thing was part of the marriage ceremony. What kind of creep needs an extra promise to be faithful to the person he already promised to be faithful to? Exactly how many promises does this yahoo need to make before he starts taking them seriously?

December 15, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
  11. Reality

" If a man and woman were caught in adultery, Hammurabi and Moses decreed that both man and woman be put to death. (i.e. "Billy Boys" and N. Leroy G's) had short life spans in the good old days!!!!!) Each set of laws also prohibited a man from having more than one wife at a time. In addition, Justinian and Biblical law required parental consent for any marriage. "

December 15, 2011 at 11:15 pm |
  12. MP in VA

So he vows to be faithful to his THIRD wife when he is now old and gross? Taking the tough road to salvation are we Newt?

December 15, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  13. captain america

Newt is obviously a canadian in sheep's clothing.

December 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
    • captain america

Do be careful truthprevails has reported you to management. You are stealing a handle that truthprevails will tell on. There's your sign. I still don't feel the love.

December 15, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
    • captain canuch eh

Actually, as you can see from our stealth biological air force that has sucessfully invaded your lawn, Canadians are very honest about the cr@p they put out. They are very unlike you that way, and they have better se.x lives than you too.

December 15, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
    • jagged

don`t clump this tard in with me and my fellow canadians.

December 16, 2011 at 1:27 am |
    • TruthPrevails

No more wasting time on someone who isn't worthy of anyone's time. To the fake CA: care to grow up? The real CA went overboard and being the bullying child it is, deserves all the negative possible.

December 16, 2011 at 4:31 am |
    • captain america

The better s.ex that captain cannuk is talking about is man /man, woman/ woman.The very practices that will cause canadians to go extinct. After that we can just walk in , push the Pakis aside and take over our rightful territory. 54 40 and below. Everything above 54 40 we will leave to "canada" but we will have all mineral rights.

December 16, 2011 at 8:14 am |
    • TruthPrevails

@CA: You're an idiot!

December 16, 2011 at 8:17 am |
    • captain america

Yes, yes. I suppose I am.

December 17, 2011 at 12:50 am |
  14. Ungodly Discipline

newt. Neeeewt. Newt. Nuut, NUT.......HA haA ha aha ahaa haa ha'ahaA haAhaA ha'a haA ha'a aha . Oops I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

December 15, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
  15. Clayton

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

December 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  16. haha

Gringrich pledging to be faithful .. haha.. best joke I heard today!

December 15, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  17. ticktockman0

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA... sorry, excuse me. Let me see if I have this right: a man has a affairs on his first TWO wives, seeks to divorce one while in the hospital with CANCER (after running for Congress on a FAMILY VALUES platform), got disciplined by the House for ethics violations while Speaker – and NOW vows fidelity to wife # 3 in return for the endorsement of some religious conservatives. This is ridiculous on so many levels I just don't know where to start. As that sage George W Bush once said, "fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

December 15, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
    • Cancer Boy

I know!! He must be so upset and deeply hurt in his pants that he didn't get a piece of monica lewinsky when he had the chance!

It's not easy having cancer. To be fair, I let my cousin do it with whoever she wants. I'll be dead soon. There's no hope for me.

December 15, 2011 at 7:43 pm |
    • Vince

Excellent choice of words, couldn't have said it better myself..

December 16, 2011 at 8:49 am |
  18. John

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_6PxnvaySw&w=640&h=390]

December 15, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
    • Sean

Posting random garbage for YouTUBE hits? Silly child.

December 15, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • .....

December 16, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  19. John

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_6PxnvaySw&w=640&h=390]

December 15, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
    • Sean

Posting random garbage for increased hits on YouTUBE? Silly child.

December 15, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • .....

Another TRASH ALERT – don't bother viewing this garbage, click the report abuse link to get rid of this stupid TROLL!

December 16, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  20. Quid Malmborg in Plano TX

Funny how it's only Christian Conservatives who feel the need to make fidelity statements like Gingrich's. Obama and Biden will never say anything like that because they have HAPPY SUCCESSFUL MARRIAGES.

December 15, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
    • Cancer Boy

Clinton had a happy, successful marriage as well.

December 15, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
    • Quid Malmborg in Plano TX

Cancer Boy: Bill Clinton left the White House nearly eleven years ago, so what relevance does your remark have to either the focus of this article or my comment? Just like a X-tian Con: living in the past. Back to the shadows with you...

December 15, 2011 at 7:26 pm |
    • Cancer Boy

I'm an atheist. I hate politics altogether. So, nice try.

I felt my comment was relevant as you implied that liberals are naturally pure and never have to preempt with as many words while conservatives have to make excuses. Anyway, Gingriche's fidelity statement was made in the past. 11 years, 11 hours. Doesn't make a difference.

Another point of relevance, obama is in the white house, clinton was in the white house, bush was in the white house (two of them) and just a few guys before that. Which of the presidents has been known to cheat?

Hmmmmmmmm

I think I already stated the answer above.

If a conservative or a liberal wants to state his or her values, who cares? But before you go spouting off like a moron again, just remember that it was a liberal getting a hummer from the ugliest, fattest chick in the white house.

December 15, 2011 at 7:35 pm |
    • Sean

Quid,

The _only_ thing it means is that they have successfully been able to maintain separation between their personal life and their political life; speaks nothing about the quality of their marriages. Unless, of course, you know then personally and they have confided with you about the quality of their marriages.

Making the assumption that their marriage is successful, merely based on lack of information, is faulty logic.

December 15, 2011 at 10:36 pm |