home
RSS
December 16th, 2011

'A great voice falls silent': Christopher Hitchens tributes pour in on Twitter

By Nick Thompson, CNN

(CNN) - "My chief consolation in this year of living dyingly has been the presence of friends," wrote Christopher Hitchens in June before his death Friday from complications of esophageal cancer at the age of 62.

Now, friends and peers of the British-American author have eulogized Hitchens on Twitter.

Hitchens brothers debate if civilization can survive without God

The tributes were led by British novelist Salman Rushdie, who tweeted "Goodbye, my beloved friend. A great voice falls silent. A great heart stops."

Hitchens, an outspoken atheist and critic of religion, defended Rushdie when the Iranian leader Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwa on his life in 1989 following the publication of "The Satanic Verses."

Richard Dawkins, a fellow atheist and author of "The God Delusion," tweeted: "Christopher Hitchens, finest orator of our time, fellow horseman, valiant fighter against all tyrants including God."

Read the full story here.
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Bible • Death

1. news anchor

chris hitchens expected to be sane and sober within months,more on the story as it develops.

December 18, 2011 at 8:43 am |
  2. line judge

Game, set and match to God.
    Hitchens was way out of his league.
    For 60 years he has run his mouth
    Now he's under weed

December 18, 2011 at 6:50 am |
  3. GodofLunaticsCreation

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQorzOS-F6w&w=640&h=360]

December 17, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  4. GodofLunaticsCreation

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHrcm8oM9PE&w=640&h=360]

December 17, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Reality

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
    ― Christopher Hitchens

December 17, 2011 at 11:23 am |
    • .........

dismiss reality hit report abuse on all his bull sh it

December 18, 2011 at 7:35 am |
  6. deborah newell

I doubt if you Americans have any idea how your much your overt attachment to religion, inespecially christianity, denigrates your national rationality in the eyes of the world. You open a sentence with god you close it with god you print it on your money and you fight other tribes across oceans that all believe in different versions of the same god. You are a disgrace to your founding fathers, those men who fought and talked to have religion separate to state, you have totally dummed down to the lowest form or proselytization and you have turned a great political experiment into something to be derided around the world.

December 16, 2011 at 11:54 pm |
    • HGMCG

I am not a religious zelot yet I can help but find your diatribe against the USA and religion as one born of personal issues and I would encurage you to seek counsel for yourself so that you will not need to project your anger outwards but rather own it and deal more effectively with it in your own life

December 17, 2011 at 12:31 am |
    • HellBent

As an American who's done extensive over seas travel, I totally get where you're coming from. I find this country's religious obsession to be its achilles heel.

December 17, 2011 at 12:33 am |
    • Is Christianity The Only Faith That Worships A Zombie?

You might want to spell "dumbed down" correctly in the future. Mispelling it makes you look dumm.

December 17, 2011 at 2:28 am |
  7. Kay

I shall miss him, wry wit and turn of phrase the depth of knowledge, the courage to say what must be said. Hopefully somewhere in the world will arise another bold, rational, voice of reason, we can only hope for we need more of these voices badly.

December 16, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
  8. Ungodly Discipline

HeavenSent

Amen.

December 16, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • Jerod

Enjoy Hell.

December 18, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
  9. Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

I wrote this piece to Hitchens

December 16, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
  10. John

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_6PxnvaySw&w=640&h=360]

December 16, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
    • .....

TRASH ALERT AGAIN – don't bother viewing this garbage, click the report abuse link to get rid of this TROLL!

December 16, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  11. Rainer Braendlein

Edmund was once greedy for power over his siblings and thus the witch of Narnia could seduce him. Thank God Aslan released Edmund and made him a Christian, who loved his sister Lucy and Peter and Susan (regretably Susan turned apostate later).

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZOCZtQafn4&w=640&h=360]

December 16, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  12. BC7

The Bible saying it is right does not make it right.

In other words, do not make your logic follow the following pattern:

Circular reasoning works because circular reasoning works because circular reasoning works.

December 16, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  13. akork

At the end of the video Peter Hitchens states "If magnetic north kept shifting then it would be difficult to steer your boat or your plane across the atlantic."

I wonder if anyone bothered to point out to him afterwords that magnetic north DOES shift and measurably so at such a rate that maps and compass reads DO have to be adjusted year to year.

December 16, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Louis Cypher AKA Sam Yaza AKA That Man Over There

I wonder if no one mention astronomy as a way to map your destination,….oh of Couse not that a teaching of the devil. God know that their not allowed to learn something helpful

December 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Louis Cypher AKA Sam Yaza AKA That Man Over There, it’s obvious you’ve never read or heard of E.W. Bullinger nor any of his books. I suggest you read “Number in Scripture” if your forte is astronomy. You might as well learn it from the source, Jesus Christ.

Amen.

December 16, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • Ze Pewp

True HS. If Jesus were god, and omniscient, why didn't he give the disciples the formula for Penicillin, or "poof", make a radio, (to spread his word faster), or talk about even ONE thing that was not known to everyone else in his day ? Curious, no ?

December 17, 2011 at 12:17 am |
  14. Ozowen

I admired (for the most part) Mr Hitchens and deeply regret his passing. He was a thoughtful man and graced us with his considerations.
    As a Christian I also regret that so many are using his death as a place to pontificate on their particular bandwagons. A great man has died, you may not have always agreed with him- but show some respect.

December 16, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • Louis Cypher AKA Sam Yaza AKA That Man Over There

i Agree

December 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • HGMCG

well said, you do not have to agree with his beliefs but you should at least respect them because he had the courage to put them forth and the wisdom to defend them. While I am not an atheist, I applaud Mr. Hitchens for providing us with a worthy adversary in which to hone our own beliefs.

December 17, 2011 at 12:36 am |
  15. Rainer Braendlein

Once Job was not able to recognize his personal sinfulness (Job leven ived a very holy life, but he presumed to say "I am holy". Only God is allowed to say "I am holy", but no human being.), and Elihu, his friend, admonished him as follows, Job 33:

1 Wherefore, Job, I pray thee, hear my speeches, and hearken to all my words. 2 Behold, now I have opened my mouth, my tongue hath spoken in my mouth. 3 My words shall be of the uprightness of my heart: and my lips shall utter knowledge clearly. 4 The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life. 5 If thou canst answer me, set thy words in order before me, stand up. 6 Behold, I am according to thy wish in God' stead: I also am formed out of the clay. 7 Behold, my terror shall not make thee afraid, neither shall my hand be heavy upon thee. 8 Surely thou hast spoken in mine hearing, and I have heard the voice of thy words, saying , 9 I am clean without transgression, I am innocent; neither is there iniquity in me. 10 Behold, he findeth occasions against me, he counteth me for his enemy, 11 He putteth my feet in the stocks, he marketh all my paths. 12 Behold, in this thou art not just: I will answer thee, that God is greater than man. 13 Why dost thou strive against him? for he giveth not account of any of his matters. 14 For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not. 15 In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed; 16 Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction, 17 That he may withdraw man from his purpose, and hide pride from man. 18 He keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword. 19 He is chastened also with pain upon his bed, and the multi-tude of his bones with strong pain : 20 So that his life abhorreth bread, and his soul dainty meat. 21 His flesh is consumed away, that it cannot be seen; and his bones that were not seen stick out. 22 Yea, his soul draweth near unto the grave, and his life to the destroyers. 23 If there be a messenger with him, an interpreter, one among a thousand, to shew unto man his uprightness: 24 Then he is gracious unto him, and saith, Deliver him from going down to the pit: I have found a ransom. 25 His flesh shall be fresher than a child': he shall return to the days of his youth: 26 He shall pray unto God, and he will be favourable unto him: and he shall see his face with joy: for he will render unto man his righteousness. 27 He looketh upon men, and if any say, I have sinned, and perverted that which was right, and it profited me not; 28 He will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light. 29 Lo, all these things worketh God oftentimes with man, 30 To bring back his soul from the pit, to be enlightened with the light of the living. 31 Mark well, O Job, hearken unto me: hold thy peace, and I will speak. 32 If thou hast any thing to say, answer me: speak, for I desire to justify thee. 33 If not, hearken unto me: hold thy peace, and I shall teach thee wisdom.

December 16, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

Rainer –

You're not convincing anyone by quoting the Bible at us. You need to come up with your own arguments to support your viewpoint, otherwise all your pretty words are just leaves on the wind.

December 16, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Louis Cypher AKA Sam Yaza AKA That Man Over There

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ&w=640&h=360]

December 16, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • Louis Cypher AKA Sam Yaza AKA That Man Over There

oh and watch im about to make god Failable...."I am holy" and thus god is failable becouse if no human can say their ho.....look do i realy need to spell it out

December 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

@warmesTghosT

I think we all make the experience of committing sins. One could claim so-called sins are merely regarded as bad, because God designates them as sins. But I think even if there would be no written divine command we would perceive greed for honor, power and riches as disgusting. These are the basic sins, which we are living in. In a word, we do things, which disturb our neighbours (no matter, if there is any command or not, which says: "you shall not ...").

Actually without the Bible it is yet clear that man needs deliverance. We harm, insult , disturb, hate and even kill each other. We need to be cured of a certain kind of madness. Let us call it sin, according to God.

I repeat, it is absolutely obvious that there is something wrong with man and the mankind (it is actually not necessary that St. Paul tells us this in the Bible).

What we cannot know by experience, but merely by the Bible is the gospel: We can get delivered or released from the rule of sin by faith in Christ. Everybody, who believes and gets baptized, will be saved.

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. (Mark 16: 16)

God wants to give us a solution for problem, which is reality.

The gospel is the solution for a real problem. Isn't that a strong pointer that the gospel is also something real or true?

December 16, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • Louis Cypher AKA Sam Yaza AKA That Man Over There

But that does not do away with “sin” you still “sin” just know you don’t have to worry about it. Because now you’re saved it’s not fixing the problems of perceived evil it’s ignoring it. I get it religion is a good place to have a foundation for your morality. But excepting Christ and baptizing yourself to be free of sin also frees you of virtue. You cannot have one without the other. We all do some bad thing we all do some good thing but both bad and good are based on opinion. That’s good build on it,.. But just saying I don’t sin I believe in Christ is not doing anything. No one can forgive you for your Sins no one will instead go out and do something virtuous. Everything leaves a mark on your soul. That being said “charity is the curse of the angel.”

December 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

Rainer –

I think basically what you are trying to say is that man is a fallible creature that can never attain true perfection. I believe what you're trying to impart is that without God, man would never have risen above the "lesser" beasts.

I contend that our collective failure as a species to "perfect" ourselves is simply part of the fact that human beings are, ultimately, beasts. Technically, apes. We are highly intelligent animals, and like all animals we have basic urges and lusts that we cannot fully control. Like all animals we possess a deep yearning not only for survival, but for personal comfort and well-being.

All these attributes of humanity that you designate as "sinful", I see merely as traits of any other highly social animal. After all, chimpanzees (our very close genetic cousins) wage war on one another, murder and sometimes cannibalize each other. The same is true for wolves, gorillas, ground hogs, dolphins...basically, any highly social and reasonably intelligent mammal will display some of the traits that you are citing as proof of man's inherent "sin".

We are just animals, Rainer, much like any other.

December 16, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
    • .....

whenever you see this Rainer rubbish click the report abuse link to throw the trash out.

December 16, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  16. Juan

"My friend Christopher Hitchens has died. I loved & prayed for him constantly & grieve his loss. He knows the Truth now," tweeted Warren.

Why wait until death to find out???

December 16, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  17. Mr. Widemouth

Who Really Believes Jesus Existed Anyway?

December 16, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  18. Rainer Braendlein

Job 38:

1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, 2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? 3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me. 4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. 5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? 6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; 7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? 8 Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb? 9 When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it, 10 And brake up for it my decreed place , and set bars and doors, 11 And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed? 12 Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; and caused the dayspring to know his place; 13 That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it? 14 It is turned as clay to the seal; and they stand as a garment. 15 And from the wicked their light is withholden, and the high arm shall be broken. 16 Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth? 17 Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death? 18 Hast thou perceived the breadth of the earth? declare if thou knowest it all. 19 Where is the way where light dwelleth? and as for darkness, where is the place thereof, 20 That thou shouldest take it to the bound thereof, and that thou shouldest know the paths to the house thereof? 21 Knowest thou it , because thou wast then born? or because the number of thy days is great? 22 Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail, 23 Which I have reserved against the time of trouble, against the day of battle and war? 24 By what way is the light parted, which scattereth the east wind upon the earth? 25 Who hath divided a watercourse for the overflowing of waters, or a way for the lightning of thunder; 26 To cause it to rain on the earth, where no man is; on the wilderness, wherein there is no man; 27 To satisfy the desolate and waste ground ; and to cause the bud of the tender herb to spring forth? 28 Hath the rain a father? or who hath begotten the drops of dew? 29 Out of whose womb came the ice? and the hoary frost of heaven, who hath gendered it? 30 The waters are hid as with a stone, and the face of the deep is frozen. 31 Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? 32 Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons? 33 Knowest thou the ordinances of heaven? canst thou set the dominion thereof in the earth? 34 Canst thou lift up thy voice to the clouds, that abundance of waters may cover thee? 35 Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we are ? 36 Who hath put wisdom in the inward parts? or who hath given understanding to the heart? 37 Who can number the clouds in wisdom? or who can stay the bottles of heaven, 38 When the dust groweth into hardness, and the clods cleave fast together? 39 Wilt thou hunt the prey for the lion? or fill the appeti-te of the young lions, 40 When they couch in their dens, and abide in the covert to lie in wait? 41 Who provideth for the raven his food? when his young ones cry unto God, they wander for lack of meat.

December 16, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Answer

Bible trash.

December 16, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • Krishna

"At the moment of death the sum of all the experiences of life on earth comes to the surface of the mind-for in the mind are stored all the impressions of past deeds and the dying man then becomes absorbed in these experiences." ~ Holy Scripture: Bhagavad-Gita

December 16, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Buddha

"The judgment: You are now before Yama, King of the Dead. In vain will you try to...deny or conceal the evil deeds you have done. ... the mirror in which Yama seems to read your past is your own memory, and also his judgment is your own. It is you yourself who pronounce your own judgment" ~ Holy Scripture: Tipitaka

December 16, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • Answer

@Krishna and Buddha

Reading your two small sets are infinitely better than reading the tripe that is spewage from the bible. Thank you.

December 16, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • blaqb0x

Since you're so eager to copy and paste bible verses, can you paste in the part of the bible where it mentions the TALKING DONKEY?

December 16, 2011 at 9:34 pm |
  19. Rainer Braendlein

"I abandoned Christianity because modern science has debunked it."

Could you give me a concrete example for that?

"If Christians acted like Christ, I would leave them the hell alone,"

I am sure there a Christians, which do act like Christ (maybe a small number). At any rate it is wrong to claim that all Christians do not act like Christ. This would be a total exaggeration. Please be aware the Roman Catholics are no Christians (strictly speaking). I admit that the Roman Catholic Church and the Islam have made this world a bad place.

Original sin: The so-called original sin is a theological term of the Bible. Although, I think that this doctrine is true, it is clear that the real behaviour of a man depends very much on his upbringing and environment. However, when man would be absolutely good, he would never sin or be evil, even if he or she had been brought up badly or grew up in a bad environment. You must get the doctrine of the original sin right: It is just about our inclination to sin, independent from our upbringing or environment.

December 16, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

Okay Rainer. Here we go. Buckle up.

Genesis – proven false by Darwin's theory of Evolution. God did not create man and animals and the Earth just as they are today, everything evolved over billions of years. Strike one.

Jesus Christ – no evidence of his existence anywhere outside of the Bible. No firsthand witnesses. No eyewitness testimony. No archaeological or historical evidence of his birth, life, ministry or death. No artifacts of his carpentry. No nothing. I'm not saying that this definitively PROVES his non-existence, but it certainly causes me some doubt. Strike two.

The Exodus – same as Jesus. No historical evidence. No archaeological evidence. No written records that the Israelites were ever even in Egypt at that point in time. Strike three.

I could keep going. The Flood, the Resurrection, the oddly insidious way that so very many Christian myths about Jesus and God are almost word for word re-adaptations from earlier religions and mythologies. The parallels between Osiris and Jesus alone are phenomenally eye opening. Christianity's base message of fear and intimidation in order to convert. The old "carrot and stick" motivation for faith. When you look at it all together, well...

I can't help but see a lie. A very convincing, insidious and immoral lie perpetuated on the fragile human psyche. It plays on our fears of death and pain (Hell) by reassuring us that we don't have to worry about them and that in fact we never will (Heaven).

The whole thing comes off as a giant ruse to my eyes.

December 16, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • same Yaza

Jesus is on the roman censes his birth(but know were one there records is his execution. The thief was though, you know they one that laughed when Christ said I save you, why did they leave him out?) Egyptian history supports the exodus, the flood and the resurrection did in fact come from other religions Gilgamesh and Mitra goggle them.

December 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

same Yaza –

Sorry, you are incorrect. There are no records of Jesus (Yeshua's) birth, and there are no records of the Exodus. Feel free to do some research and get back to me.

You are absolutely correct about Mitra, however.

December 16, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

@warmesTghosT

"Genesis – proven false by Darwin's theory of Evolution."

Darwin also believed that carriages emerge by Evolution?

"Jesus Christ"

What about the countless Christian martyrs of the first three centuries (0-300 a. D.) after Christ (there are many historical accounts on them)? Were they all delusional dreamers?

Exodus

I have heard that there is nearly no historical evidence for the Exodus. Here I fully depend on the account of the Holy Bible.
      (However, on German Wikipedia someone claims that there are yet historical docu-ments for the Exodus beside the biblical account.)

December 16, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

Rainer –

"Darwin also believed that carriages emerge by Evolution?"

What?

I'm not arguing about Christian martyrs. Of course they exist. Martyrs exist for all sorts of causes and ideologies. There are even Nazi martyrs, and I believe that some Muslims would consider the folks who flew those planes into the towers on 9/11 martyrs. Does that make them holy, or validate their holy book, the Qu'ran?

Fact is, chances are that Yeshua the Christ never even existed. He's just an amalgamation of earlier creation myths/deities repackaged to be more palatable to the people of that time era.

The Exodus almost certainly never happened. Citing the Bible as proof of the validity of the Bible is known as "circular reasoning".

December 16, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • llɐq ʎʞɔnq

same Yaza,
      No. There was no Roman census in those days. That is a known fact. Cite your source. And while you're at it, explain why the Gospel of Like says Jesus was born while Quirinius was Governor of Syria, and Herod was King, and we know Herod was dead for 10 years before Quirinius was Governor of Syria. Oops. 8)

December 17, 2011 at 12:23 am |
  20. Rainer Braendlein

From king Solomon (regretably, he turned apostate later), Ecclesiastes 12:

1 Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them; 2 While the sun, or the light, or the moon, or the stars, be not darkened, nor the clouds return after the rain: 3 In the day when the keepers of the house shall tremble, and the strong men shall bow themselves, and the grinders cease because they are few, and those that look out of the windows be darkened, 4 And the doors shall be shut in the streets, when the sound of the grinding is low, and he shall rise up at the voice of the bird, and all the daughters of musick shall be brought low; 5 Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets: 6 Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern. 7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. 8 Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. 9 And moreover, because the preacher was wise, he still taught the people knowledge; yea, he gave good heed, and sought out, and set in order many proverbs. 10 The preacher sought to find out acceptable words: and that which was written was upright, even words of truth. 11 The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails fastened by the masters of assemblies, which are given from one shepherd. 12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh. 13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

December 16, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

I saw you copy-pasta'd a song on an earlier page. I can do it too!

"It's all relative
      even if you don't understand
      well it's all understood
      especially when you don't understand
      then it's all just because
      even if we don't understand then let's all just believe

I was reading a book
      or maybe it was a magazine
      suggestions on where to place faith
      suggestions on what to believe
      but I read somewhere that you've got to beware
      you can't believe everything you read

but the Good Book is good and that's well understood
      so don't even question if you know what I mean

but there you go, once again
      you missed the point and then you point
      your finger at me, and say that I said not to believe

I guess it's all relative"

December 16, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

@warmesTghosT

"even if we don't understand then let's all just believe"

I am sure God gives comprehension of Christianity or the Bible to everybody, who asks for it. The actual problem is the following: We know that we would have to abandon certain misbehaviours, if we would accept Christianity. This we don't want to admit and try to hide it under a smoke screen of lack of understanding.

December 16, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

Rainer –

I do understand Christianity. Better than you do. Anyone who truly understands it will abandon it as false.

I don't blame you for being Christian, or look down on you for it, and I don't hate God or any of the other silly straw-man arguments that most Christians come up with.

I was raised Jewish, converted to Christianity as a teenager and then abandoned faith altogether as an adult. I did copious amounts of research on both Judaism and Christianity and found them to be empirically false and full of contradictions and outright errors.

There is 0% chance that God inspired the words of the Bible. Sorry.

Jesus had a nice message. It's too bad that most Christians fail so spectacularly at living up to his teachings.

December 16, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • Lee

You really think people aren't Christians because they "would have to abandon certain misbehaviors?" In actuality, people aren't Christians because they aren't indoctrinated to be so at a young and impressionable age. Others, such as myself, used critical thinking to break the shackles of religion. It has nothing to do with some projected desire to maintain a "misbehaving" lifestyle.

December 16, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

warmesTghosT

"I was raised Jewish, converted to Christianity as a teenager and then abandoned faith altogether as an adult."

This is highly interesting.

I am sure that you abandoned the Christian faith, not because of intellectual difficulties, but because you ceased from the heavy mental fight (I feel for you, because never in history the Christian life or mental fight was as difficult as today. The Christian Church has nearly ceased to exist and thus every Christian is condemned to be a lone fighter, which is almost hopeless and very hard.)

December 16, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

Rainer –

I abandoned Christianity because modern science has debunked it. It's patently false. It is literally impossible for me to ever be a Christian because I cannot force myself into the dichotomy of espousing belief in something I find absurd.

Look, Jesus had a great message, and I agree with most of what he (supposedly) said. If Christians acted like Christ, I would leave them the hell alone, and I'm sure most atheists would too. The problem is that Christians (and Jews, and Muslims) use their faith to actively make this world a worse place for everyone.

Let me break it down to the most fundamental problem I have with Christianity – it teaches very young children that they are "evil" and "guilty" of some ancient, divine sin against God. They're raised their entire lives with unnatural guilt that's been installed in them by authority figures that they do not have the wherewithal to refute.

I think that human beings are basically good. We are born neither good nor evil, but become the products of our environment.

December 16, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • Mike from CT

"Look, Jesus had a great message,"

Does that include that parts where He claims He and the Father are one?
      Or the part where He talks about His resurrection in Life?

"If Christians acted like Christ, " there would be no need for a Christ. This is what annoys me about you. You spout some superiority studied knowledge but have no grasp of the basic 101 message of Christ.

" The problem is that Christians (and Jews, and Muslims) use their faith to actively make this world a worse place for everyone."
      Why is this a problem when you were told it was coming (Act 20 for example) How does my behavior invalidate your existence?.

"They're raised their entire lives with unnatural guilt that's been installed in them by authority figures that they do not have the wherewithal to refute."
      Not if they make it to Romans 8. Christianity is not moral diesm

" We are born neither good nor evil, but become the products of our environment."
      Bull, my cousin has never bit his wife for control of the remote. But there two year old daughter does it. How is that a product of envirnoment? Rebellion crys from our hearts from the day we are born.

December 16, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

Mike –

Quoting the Bible at me would be like...I don't know, me quoting Penn Jillette or Richard Dawkins or (sigh) Christopher Hitchens to you. Actually, scratch that, I'm sure that if you're intellectually honest and curious about atheism and you actually read any of those authors, they'd change your mind and make you think.

I've read the Bible. It's totally ridiculous and was a major reason why I became an atheist.

I'm not certain what you're trying to say here. Do you have a question for me?

December 16, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • Answer

@Rainer Braendlein

It's just natural for you to defend your delusional faith. Making all attempts to secure your place in the world view of it's collapse.
      Feeling frightened, lost and losing credibility – that is religion for ya. Being a greater part of the cycle of losers. Put all your efforts in denying the inevitable – religion going out in a whimper like a snuffed candle.

December 16, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • Mike from CT

My question is why do you claim

I do understand Christianity. Better than you do.

and count "I read the bible"
      as "copious amounts of research "?

December 16, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

Mike –

When you get right down to it, the vast majority of the things that the Bible claims are unsubstantiated by history.

December 16, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • HeavenSent

warmesTghosT, you posted to Rainer – "

An example I have used before is: dogs. Man's best friend. If you raise a dog with love and gentleness and kindness, it comes out loving and gentle and kind. Just like a human being. No wonder we get along so well."

Answer: Write all the sentences you want about why you left Jesus. Point, blank and shoot. You're a coward that kisses butt for the ways of the world. When you get over the insecurity of pleasing man, Jesus will be there. Until then, stay confused and stupid.

Amen.
      December 16, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |

December 16, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • HeavenSent

warmesTghosT, another of your nonsense post with Mike – "I've read much more than the Bible, and I've even searched for real world, historical and archaeological findings to either support or refute the claims made by all the "Holy" books.

Further, I understand human psychology and I can see precisely why Christianity is such an alluring lie. It preys on our greatest primal fears and panders to our narcissism and desire for reward. Basic carrot-and-stick strategy."

Answer: If the infidels that own the media wanted Jesus' truth to be known, you would have seen it on all the medias. There is a reason they refuse to do so. Or, are you too arrogant to comprehend this message.

I'm logging off now. I've never read such pompous baloney that you've posted all over this article. Stay in the dark, this way you won't have to stretch yourself to be the best that Jesus wants us to be.

Amen.