home
RSS
December 19th, 2011

Christianity goes global as world's largest religion

By Richard Allen Greene, CNN

(CNN) - Christians are by far the largest religious group on the planet, and the religion has gone truly global over the past century, according to a new report out Monday, which finds some of the world's biggest Christian communities in surprising places.

Europe was the clear center of world Christianity one hundred years ago, but today the Americas are home to more than a third of all Christians. In fact, the United States has the world's largest Christian population, of more than 247 million, followed by Brazil and Mexico.

China also appears on the list of top 10 largest Christian populations - with an estimated 67 million Christians, it has more followers of the faith than any western European country.

There are nearly 2.2 billion Christians around the world, making up about one-third of the world's population - the same percentage as a century ago, according to the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

Islam is the world's second largest religion, with about 1.6 billion followers worldwide, the Washington-based organization calculates. That's just under one-quarter of the estimated 2010 world population of 6.9 billion.

Sub-Saharan Africa has seen the biggest explosion in its Christian population in the past century, going from about 9 million Christians in 1910 to about 516 million today - nearly a quarter of all the world's Christians. Three of the world's ten largest Christian populations are in Africa: Nigeria, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Ethiopia.

The study, "Global Christianity," is based on demographic and opinion data from 232 countries and territories. It's part of the Pew-Templeton Global Religious Futures Project, which has also included reports on the current and projected number of Muslims in the world.

It does not measure practice or belief, merely counting as Christian anyone who says they are.

The report calculates that half the world's Christians are Catholic, 37% are Protestants, and 12% are Orthodox. The remaining 1 percent belong to other traditions such as Mormonism.

- Newsdesk editor, The CNN Wire

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

soundoff (2,648 Responses)
  1. JOHN DOE

Just because we don't have the answers to all life's questions doesn't mean we have to settle for stories that were made up. The only things we know are from research , test and experience. There is nothing wrong with believing something that has a good reason for you to believe it but believing things that have evidence that proves it wrong is delusional.

December 19, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
    • Bobs Friend

I asked Jesus to save me, and He entered my spirit in an overwhelming and undeniable way. I don't have to put God in a test tube, my heart is Gods test tube. I walk with Him everyday. I'm nothing special.. God loves you in the same overwhelmimg way. I recall what Jesus said regarding Jerusalem:

MAtt 23:37 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing."

December 19, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

So, Bobs friend, where exactly do you and God go for your little strolls? Is it kind of chilly where you are? It is here in Wisconsin. Does God have to wear a scarf and mittens the way I do? Or does a little cloud of warm air just waft after him wherever he goes. I ask because you seem to run into him on a daily basis, so you should know.

PS: If he DOES wear mittens, what color? I've got a bet on with a buddy. He thinks sky blue, but I'm going with blood red, in keeping with the rest of his character.

December 19, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
    • Keith

Bobs Friend, May I recommend the blueletterbible.org to you as a free useful tool.

December 19, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
    • Sid

Bobs Friend, nice storyline you've got there, but it has no substance.

December 19, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • Bobs Friend

@ Sid: It happens every day. People humble themselves, admit their sin, repent, and call on the name of the Son of God, Jesus Christ. People are regularly released from addictions and all manner of burdens and afflictions. That is all the proof they ever need.
      He waits for you....

December 19, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
    • Bobs Friend

@ Richard
      Just so you are aware: The Bible describes mockery as evidence of a diseased mind, so your silly rants confirm my beliefs.:

Mat 12:33“Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. 34You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. 35The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”

December 19, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You're a tool, Krazy.

December 19, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
    • hotairace

Re: mockery, referring to The Babble to support any religious argument is an automatic fail until you conclusively prove that your imaginary friend(s) exist and that The Babble is the inerrant world of your god. I seriously await a novel argument for each.

December 19, 2011 at 11:02 pm |
  2. b4bigbang

1. Why are people born unequal? Is God not fair? Depends on what u mean bu unequal. I've talked with a lot of mentally retarded people and they all r happier than most of the folks on this board. (no disrespect intended).

2. Why people sometimes suffer mishaps not of their doing at all e.g. a person’s father or mother passes away or they get born to bad parents, siblings etc. or they have to suffer in many ways they were not responsible for whereas others have a more blessed life e.g. a person out of millions wins a lottery!. Is there a reason for it or is it all RANDOM? I believe that there's no random occurances in the life of a Christian, but an unbeliever? Jesus said to his (biological) brothers "my time is not come yet (to go to Jerusalem and die) but your time could come at any time". (yes, even his own brothers were unbelievers until after the crucifixion).

3. This universe is many billion years old. Earth is 4.5 billion years old. Christianity and Islam are only 2000 years old. God waited this long to send the message to humans? Humans born before were lesser to humans born after? There is now evidence of many advanced civilizations which existed much before at least 12,000 years ago who have been found buried. While there are old-earth creationists, i'm not one of them. You might google for old-earth creationism, etc, i know they're out there but im not familiar. An excellent scientific source for young earth ID is Floyd N. Jones on the web, thought there are many others.

3. What is the ultimate purpose of humanity? Most important ques anyone could ask! I've found two answers, both true, both good: one is: to glorify God and enjoy him forever, and the other is in i think the NT book of Ephesians. It talks about how God is demonstrating to the angels (both fallen and unfallen i think) his sovereignity and how creatures who are lower than angels will nevertheless do a better job of glorifying him than the fallen ones did, or something to that effect. Hope this helps.

Try to find the answer to these questions without any prejudice to any belief. Whichever religion we are born with most of us embrace it never questioning some of the basics questions.

December 19, 2011 at 9:46 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Humanity comes without a purpose of any kind.

The purpose of life is whatever you choose to make it.

Purpose, like the very notion of gods, is a human invention and doesn't exist anywhere outside of human minds.

December 19, 2011 at 9:53 pm |
  3. JOHN DOE

EXCUSE MY TYPING AND BAD SPELLING BARE A SON.

December 19, 2011 at 9:36 pm |
    • Chrism

And indeed as to bearing a son this is exactly why the virginity must mean true virginity. For what miraculous sign would this be if God had simply said a woman would bear a child by natural conception? No God clearly said the woman being with child would be a great sign to all Jews. And so clearly this is the miraculous conception of the Messiah fulfilled in Jesus.

December 19, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
    • Joseph

So, Mary, how did you get that geni-tal rash? I'm not buying your story.

December 19, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  4. Bobs Friend

I've often wondered why atheists argue regarding things in which they have no belief. It seems so silly. Of course I used to be on the other side of this argument, and in retrospect I see this:

That I really just wanted to do whatever (Sin) I wanted to do, and I didn't want anyone preaching to me, reminding me that I really couldn't know for sure that I would not be judged when I died.
    So I just wanted them to go away and be quiet, which is what you constantly see atheists call for Christians to do.

There also is an ego trip with atheism, I get to smugly claim "Intelligence"–whether or not I have any.
    The really ironic thing is that atheists who claim to use "Logic" and "reason" start out with an unprovable assumption.. "God doesn't exist"–which is impossible to disprove– then go about compiling evidence to back up their assumption. That is not Science.
    Atheism is simply a pride and ego driven assumption designed the shield the conscience from guilt, that is all it is. Yet that very conscience that they wish to shield was placed there by God to drive man to him.

Your guilt is proof of God, as far as I'm concerned..."Methinks the lady dost protest too much"!!!

Millions of people will tell you straight to your face, as I do: "The moment I believed in Jesus Christ, my life changed forever.."

Anyway, Christians cannot prove God with Science, I think God wanted it that way because" "Without faith, it is impossible to please God"

Amen and Praise God for all that He has done.

December 19, 2011 at 9:36 pm |
    • George

"I've often wondered why atheists argue regarding things in which they have no belief. It seems so silly."

I wonder the same thing. If they beleive that God doesn't exist, why do they care what believers discuss on a belief blog?

December 19, 2011 at 9:40 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Prove to me that Zeus doesn't exist, and I'll use the very same argument to show you how God doesn't exist.

That's assuming, of course, that you don't believe that Zeus exists. But he MUST exist, because you can't prove otherwise, right?

December 19, 2011 at 9:43 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Bob's Friend and George.

You tell me what is sillly, and then I will telll you why I agrue it (if i argue it). You are throwing a pretty wide net.

December 19, 2011 at 9:51 pm |
    • Bobs Friend

@ Richard:
      I asked and Jesus answered, just like He said He would. Period. I was overwhelmed by the presence of God, and all my doubt was washed away. Not only that, I was instantly given a "New heart" just like the Bible says:
      "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh."

Being Born Again is impossible to understand, until you have experienced it. Humble Yourself before God.

December 19, 2011 at 9:53 pm |
    • Let's see...

@George
      "If they beleive that God doesn't exist, why do they care what believers discuss on a belief blog?"

First, because truth an reason are worthy virtues. Second, because many of those who believe as you do, can't seem to keep those beliefs to themselves or at least limit their beliefs to free speech. Many of those who believe as you do, George, feel the need to meddle in government, which results in unprovoked force against those who disagree with you. In the worst case, some of those who share your beliefs or other unsupported holy book claims, feel the need to execute physicians who perform legal abortions or are compelled to fly planes into high-rise buildings.
      Liberties are lost in small increments George, so the minority must remain vigilant. Are those good enough reasons for those who respect truth and reason to speak out against supersti.tion and irrationality?

December 19, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
    • Keith

Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places]. Their arguements are the doctrines of demons leading many lost souls straight to hell.

December 19, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
    • Gogogoch

Many people evolve into Atheism when they start to ask questions about their religion. Martin Luther wrote: "Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has", and this is because religion is dispelled when reason, rational thought and science come into play. Think about Hinduism, the Greek pantheon. It is supernatural, fairy tale, mumbo-jumbo, right? Atheists just extend this to Christianity too.

Why post here? Because there are many, many 'Christians' born into the faith that have never thought about things; those who sit on the fence. Maybe someone's post will ring and bell and make that person think...

No, really, why post here? Because I care about truth and reality. I happen to live in the latter and think the world becomes one step improved, one step more moral, one step more equitable, and one step more just for every step that religion takes towards the shadows and into mythological history.

But hey, just my $0.02 worth! Merry Mithras!

December 19, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
    • HotAirAce

One more time...

– to keep an eye on the believer crazies that want to turn the USA and other western countries into theocracies,
      – to refute the bullcrap and hatred believers spew,
      – to save just one person from the delusion of religion,
      – for the sheer entertainment provided by seeing the incredibly rediculous things believers believe.

December 19, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
    • Keith

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?strongs=H7496&t=KJV George and Bob's Friend, Here is a very useful tool. It's free. Enjoy.

December 19, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

I ask these questions because I just came back from visiting some good friends down the block, and wile I was there the mom used some of the above techniques to calm down one of her little ones. I'm sure the KID could answer all those questions, because his mom is real, and she really DID talk to him.

And you could answer them too, if Jesus had really talked to you. But I suspect "he" was just another one of the little voices in your head, and you never met him in person the way you claim.

Help prove me wrong, thou. Next time the Big Guy swings by for a little chat, whip out your cell phone and snap a couple pix, why don't you?

December 19, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Forgot a new reason...

To show my children the dark side of christianty by showing them posts by George, Keith, Chad, HeavenScent, caption america, Herbie and others of their ilk.

December 19, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • BobsNotYerUncle

Bobs Friend: the answer is because you Christian idiots vote.

December 19, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
    • Bobs Friend

@ Hot Air Ace:
      I'm glad that you admit you are and atheist evangelical...He's going to "Save us"

ROTFLM****B***O

December 19, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • Keith

All done with false report to CPS already, Ace?

December 19, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • tallulah13

We post here because it is a public forum and we are allowed to join in. We post to remind you that there are other voices than yours and we will not allow you to ride roughshod over our rights, despite the efforts of politicians and religious groups who would spit on the Const.itution for the sake of forcing their beliefs upon others.

Most of us have no problem when a christian claims to have faith. But when you say that your faith is fact, we are here to remind you that to call something a fact, you must have proof. We are here to keep you honest.

December 19, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • Keith

Who cares if we vote, Ace? We are United States citizens-you are not.

December 19, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The only "tool" here is the Krazy.

December 19, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
    • Twin 1

Hi Bobs Friend, I replied to one of your earlier post, but not sure that you will see that. I love your responses. You know this is all really simple. We have the great invitation to agree with God, the God of the Bible. The one who is, who was and who is to come. Thanks so much. Your post have really encouraged me tonight and made me smile.

December 19, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • Keith

Fact. Your pal Hitchens is still burning. Jhn 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

December 19, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • Bobs Friend

@ Richard:
      Again, it is not possible for you to understand without doing it..
      The first thing that is immediately evident in the presence of God is that we are sinful.. I was sinful. The Holiness of God contrasts with our sinful condition; it is obvious we have no excuses, no arguments, nothing to say in defense of our sin. It was a terrifying feeling. I wanted to run. Moses said: , “I am trembling with fear."

Isaiah described this: Is 6:5“Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

The second thing, yet equal in force is His Love. Despite my filth, Gods love was overwhelming, I clearly did not deserve it. It make you cry; it breaks you. Gods love isn't about who I am, it is about who HE is. I learned things about loving people, about forgiveness, and about mercy..in just a moment. :
      Romans 5:8:
      "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Praise God!!

December 19, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • Bobs Friend

Twin:
      I saw it. I love it.
      Isn't this heartbreaking? But I used to be like them.. I was the worst.. so sarcastic and mean you wouldn't believe it. It took it as an indicator of intelligence.. it does take intelligence to mock well.. that is true... but it is so blinding.
      I did a Bible study on mockery once.... try it sometime..

December 19, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
    • hotairace

Keith, you are confused (constant state for you) about me and CPS. Re: voting, do you need me to explain "other countries" to you? You continue to avoid answering legitimate question or to defend your unfounded assertions, usually based on your silly book of fiction – The Babble – please do try to add some substance to your replies.

Bob's Friend, I am not an overt "saviour" – just here to calmly provide an alternative to believer crap. I trust that thinking people will determine for themselves that there are no gods when they discover, due to challenges by atheists, that there is no independent verifiable objective evidence for any god.

December 19, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
    • George

@RichardSRussell

"So when Jesus talked to you, what did he sound like? High, squeaky voice? Did he put his hand on your shoulder for reassurance? What color are his eyes? Did he use little words to make it easier for you to understand? How tall is he?"

I will answer these questions because I actually can. His voice was medium range. He put his hand, not on my shoulder, but on the top of my hand in reassurance. I did not see his face or him standing because he is always sitting beside of me. He spoke normally to me.

December 19, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"He spoke normally".

Bwahahhahhhaaaa. What would you know about "normal", you ridiculous putz?

December 19, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Come on, George. "Medium range"? Was he a tenor, a bass, a baritone? A basso profundo? A countertenor?

You are such a laugh, dude.

December 19, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
    • Bobs Friend

@Hot Air:
      You are correct, you will never reduce The Almighty to a test tube experiment, because He said:

"Without faith, it is impossible to please God"
      Even so, He waits to reveal Himself to you, the minute you release your pride and arrogance and call out to Him as I and millions of others..wait.. billions of others have.
      Try it.. you'll never be the same!!!

December 19, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

HotAir, Krazy thinks you and I are the same person. His little rant about CPS is a response to one of my posts. He's certifiable.

December 19, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
    • hotairace

Bobs Friend, I never said anything about test tubes – please quit putting words into my mouth. Re: try it, I'm very pleased to inform you that I was indoctrinated into the Jesus myth as a child but after many years of logical thinking, I cancelled my membership in that cult. I have no reason, not even a hint of one, to become delusional again.

Tom, I know that Krazy Keith thinks we are one and the same but I did not want to make it too easy for him to figure out that he is confused – better that he practices reviewing his silly past posts and discovering his errors himself. We can always hope ('cause prayer is useless) that once he exercises some critical thinking skills he will see that The Babble and religion are crap.

December 19, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
  5. b4bigbang

RichardSRussell

Well, I don't subscribe to the particular part of the superst¡tion that says that Jesus is the same person as God. If there WAS really a Jesus (a dubious proposition), he was just another human being.

No, when I was referring to the worst sadistic archfiend in fiction, I meant God, as described in the Bible, before all this trinity BS came along to cloud the picture.

Well if ya dont believe the 'nice' parts, why do u believe the 'bad' parts?

December 19, 2011 at 9:34 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

I don't believe most of it. Maybe a few things about genealogies. I was just pointing out to the "God is SOOOO good" crew how their own holy book directly contradicts their unjustifiably generous assessment of the Great Sadist's character.

December 19, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
  6. JOHN DOE

This is exactly what I mean about christians being ignorant about their own beliefs CHRISM. AFTER THE DEATH OF SOLOMON ISRAEL BROKE INTO TWO KINGDOMS , ISRAEL AND JUDAH . JUDAH IS WERE THE MESSIAH IS SUPPOSED TO COME FROM. ISRAEL FORMED AN ALLIANCE WITH ASSYRIA TO ATTACK JUDAH . ACCORDING TO ISAIAH GOD SENT HIM TO TELL AHAZ THAT HE WAS WITH THEM. WHEN ISAIAH MET WITH AHAZ HE OFFERED A SIGN BUT AHAZ REFUSED SO HE GAVE HIME ONE ANY WAY . BEHOLD A YOUNG WOMEN WOULD CONCEIVE AND BEAR A SON AND CALL HIM IMMANUEL HE WILL EAT BUTTER AND HONEY SO THAT HE MAY KNOW AND CHOSE GOOD OVER EVIL BUT BEFORE HE REACHES MATURITY THE TWO KINGDOMS THAT AHAZ WAS AFRAID OF WOULD BE DESTROYED. THIS AT LEAST 750 YRS BEFORE JESUS SO IT COULD NOT HAVE BEEN JESUS. HOW CAN A WOMENS VIRGINITY BE A SIGN TO ANYONE OTHER THAN HER HUSBAND OR OBGYN. THINK

December 19, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
    • Chrism

John Doe, I know all about the kingdoms. The 12 tribes and the two that followed the successor of Solomon. This is not the question. The prophecy was indeed that of the Messiah. And it was for all Jews to believe. And why would God say a virgin with child? It was exactly the sign He chose. But as I said what has this to do with a military crisis? And of course the timing was exactly at the time of Jesus' birth. You can look to Daniel when the Jews were taken exile in Babylon Daniel prophecied the weeks of years right to the time of Jesus. That is seen too in the dead sea scrolls of the Essenes looking for the Messiah. No, no one thought Isaah was already fulfilled and that's in the sign is just as it said clearly. In fact you support what I said you simply quote the other verses of the messiah growing as a child. This is nothing to do with a military crisis in 750 BC though yes it is certainly at the time of the separation of the northern tribes.

December 19, 2011 at 9:44 pm |
  7. NY Jew

Islam has 1.6 billion people because if you leave it, you will get your head cut off !

December 19, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
    • Pat

Forget about leaving their religion! They dare not ask questions anything regarding their religion or prohphet or they will be declared infidels?

December 19, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
  8. Atheist

How could America be a free and secular country when Good Friday is a holiday in my state (NJ), we have strict Sunday blue laws in my county (Bergen) and Christmas is a federal holiday? Please answer.

December 19, 2011 at 9:23 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What does the federal calendar have to do with it? The fact that there are federal holidays doesn't make this a Christian country, ya boob.

December 19, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • Keith

tom,Shut up you useless foreigner.

December 19, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Or what?

December 19, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Truth Seeker

A few simple questions everyone should ask himself or herself?

1. Why are people born unequal? Is God not fair?

3. What is the ultimate purpose of humanity?

December 19, 2011 at 9:19 pm |
    • b4bigbang

Good questions Truth Seeker. I asked all those questions after becoming a Christian, and i got good answers to all of them. Gotta leave my workstation 4 a minute but promise 2 help with answers in a moment.

December 19, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Truth Seeker,

By the time I type this there will probably be many other replies, however I will try to answer your question. Reality is not a fixed position. Meaning that time and space can and do change. Religion has very little, most likely nothing to do the cosmos and it's infinite possibilities. If there are Gods, there are most likely many, with very different agendas, not unlike people. it seems most likely that life has been around for many trillions of years and that some are far more advanced that us and some far less. If there are gods hat make the rules of science that would be really cool. The true mystery is why don’t they come hang with us.

December 19, 2011 at 9:44 pm |
  10. b4bigbang

Face facts, man. By the Bible's OWN DESCRIPTION of God, he's the worst, most sadistic, cruelest archfiend in all of fiction.

So u r saying Jesus is all that?

December 19, 2011 at 9:17 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

December 19, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
  11. Ungodly Discipline

I feel the most exciting thing about atheism (weak atheism in my case, or Temporal Agnosticism) is that no possibilities are ruled out.

One can revel in the cosmos and the joy of learning without the burden of guilt. Just as Einstein, Hawking and many other thinkers of our time and space, the universe still holds many secrets, and those secrets are far more enjoyable when you don't have a pre-disposition to a belief in any God; whatever shape that may take.

How can we think freely and explore scientifically the theories of the multi-verse, string theory, intelligent life on other planets, space travel and what preceded the Big Bang when we are anchored to the Earth by a ball and chain called religion.

It is enough to look up at the Milky Way and say, "Here is my church". I am not commanded to worship. I am COMPELLED to be astounded by its magnificence.

And no matter what you believe or say, none of us has the slightest idea what will happen when we die. So live and learn, then die knowing you have embraced life.

Be nice and fear not.

December 19, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Oh Yeah, and quit acting like a jackas s and going up in front or your "congregation" and pretending like you are being "moved" but God and he is speaking through you and blah blah blah. Good Lord, what a dork. I could spot a phony by the time I was 8 years old.

December 19, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
    • Chrism

This is well put and I think you do well to be open, like Einstein did say in humility he could be considered an agnostic because he was uncertain in the face of unknowns but did not want to be like the "professional atheists" who iindeed profess unbelief. We humans have curiosity and seem a natural desire to know which seems greater than evolution. We seem to seek something greater. Why? Isaac Newton, Gregor Mendel, Kepler, Georges LeMaitre all believers. Unfortunately some oppressive in the church used to fight Galileo and science I think the bad impression lingers. But my only concern is the scientist who thinks he must prove God or see Him through a telescope. What God would only make Himself known this way when billions seek Him, some with low IQs, all children first, some blind and/or deaf. Yet God may give great gifts to one who seeks Him in nature. God bless.

December 19, 2011 at 9:17 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Chrism,
      Bless your heart but you are fully indoctrinated. You need to grow some balls and invasion the universe for what it is.

December 19, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  12. JOHN DOE

ALMAH means young women Alex not virgin in March of this yr the Catholic Church removed virgin from their bible.

December 19, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Probably needed elsewhere due to the greater demand up in Islamic heaven.

December 19, 2011 at 9:01 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Forgive me, I am sorry, I did not follow that. Did that have something to do the wh-ore "Saint" Mary?

December 19, 2011 at 9:22 pm |
  13. PleaseUseLogic

I need to invent a religion. It's better than a casino and our mafia is legally tax exempt.

December 19, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
  14. Bobs Friend

God has answered my prayers so many times! Thank God He saved me, I was incapable of saving myself!:
    1 Cor 2:1 When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.a 2For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. 4My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, 5so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.

December 19, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
    • David

So, which of the 3 gods in one saved you. Or do you really know.

December 19, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

"To be a Christian, you must pluck out the eye of reason." —Martin Luther, original Protestant

Congratulations on your success!

December 19, 2011 at 9:30 pm |
    • Twin 1

Hi Bobs Friend, I love that your answers are from the Bible. Don't you just love the Word. He is the Word. Every answer can be found from the front to the back. Can't wait to meet you in eternity. Sounds like you have a great testimony. It is Faith and that is what pleases God!

December 19, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

Ok.. you do not name call ? please read your previous posts..The claim made by those that believe is that god protects, looks after you etc.. we see disasters earthquakes, mudslides storms, famine.. all natural ..nothing man made about those... and yet the god you worship stands idly by and does nothing. We know why. You still have not explained why we are considered arrogant..yes, we ask what evidence you have and you cannot say..faith is not evidence. I would believe if you can show evidence or a true miracle ..say an amputee growing limbs back ....now are you to arrogant to admit that, with the right evidence, you would disbelieve? What would you accept as proof .....

December 20, 2011 at 1:02 am |
  15. b4bigbang

@Caliph Ali (and others):

1 الله بعد ما كلم الآباء بالانبياء قديما بانواع وطرق كثيرة

2 كلمنا في هذه الايام الاخيرة في ابنه الذي جعله وارثا لكل شيء الذي به ايضا عمل العالمين

3 الذي وهو بهاء مجده ورسم جوهره وحامل كل الاشياء بكلمة قدرته بعدما صنع بنفسه تطهيرا لخطايانا جلس في يمين العظمة في الاعالي

4 صائرا اعظم من الملائكة بمقدار ما ورث اسما افضل منهم

5 لانه لمن من الملائكة قال قط انت ابني انا اليوم ولدتك.وايضا انا اكون له ابا وهو يكون لي ابنا.

6 وايضا متى ادخل البكر الى العالم يقول ولتسجد له كل ملائكة الله.

7 وعن الملائكة يقول الصانع ملائكته رياحا وخدامه لهيب نار.

8 واما عن الابن كرسيك يا الله الى دهر الدهور.قضيب استقامة قضيب ملكك.

9 احببت البر وابغضت الاثم من اجل ذلك مسحك الله الهك بزيت الابتهاج اكثر من شركائك.

10 وانت يا رب في البدء اسست الارض والسموات هي عمل يديك.

11 هي تبيد ولكن انت تبقى وكلها كثوب تبلى

12 وكرداء تطويها فتتغيّر ولكن انت انت وسنوك لن تفنى.

13 ثم لمن من الملائكة قال قط اجلس عن يميني حتى اضع اعداءك موطئا لقدميك.

14 أليس جميعهم ارواحا خادمة مرسلة للخدمة لاجل العتيدين ان يرثوا الخلاص

December 19, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
  16. b4bigbang

Truth, your last surmising re the crucifixion was excellent!

Here's the answer in the words of Jesus himself:

33Hear another parable: There was a certain householder, which planted a vineyard, and hedged it round about, and digged a winepress in it, and built a tower, and let it out to husbandmen, and went into a far country:

34And when the time of the fruit drew near, he sent his servants to the husbandmen, that they might receive the fruits of it.

35And the husbandmen took his servants, and beat one, and killed another, and stoned another.

36Again, he sent other servants more than the first: and they did unto them likewise.

37But last of all he sent unto them his son, saying, They will reverence my son.

38But when the husbandmen saw the son, they said among themselves, This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and let us seize on his inheritance.

39And they caught him, and cast him out of the vineyard, and slew him.

40When the lord therefore of the vineyard cometh, what will he do unto those husbandmen?

41They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will let out his vineyard unto other husbandmen, which shall render him the fruits in their seasons.

42Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

43Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

44And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.

December 19, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
  17. Ungodly Discipline

What is wrong with his face. Did he git bit by a spider?

December 19, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
  18. Bobs Friend

A little advice for my Brothers in Christ: It's Prayer time for all of the spiritually blind mockers on this board. For those of you who have had your lives utterly transformed by Jesus Christ, consider how blind you were before you were called. You may also have been a merciless, arrogant, mocker, spewing hate, until the morning star rose in your heart. Also God needs to call them, so ask God to call them:

JN 6:44 "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day."
    So prayer is first in order.

December 19, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Did not your own religion profess that the “weak will inherit the Earth?

Even as the Christian numbers inflate, the intelligent among us press forward with new and wonderful discoveries. Discoveries that will, with some luck mind you, allow our species to exist long into the future.

Your plan for the future is a desire for oblivion. I don’t understand that, and I certainly can’t subscribe to it. You are an evil bunch, hell bent on destruction. Not us. We want to survive and explore.

December 19, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

bobs friend.. rather than trying to be one of gods sycophants why not look at the what he is not doing for most of humanity... allowing starving children in Africa,killing thousands in weather related disasters, allowing the abuse of folks with in his own supposed church. You were "saved" because you finally put your brain into gear and gave your self the confidence to move forward. I find it appalling that some folks think they have a special place at the table of some mythical being, while he allows others to perish. Prayer works exactly the same way that coincidence does.

December 19, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
    • Bobs Friend

@ Ungodly: I honestly don't expect you to understand, you are spiritually crippled, as I was. I have been so transformed as a person by Jesus Christ I am unrecognizable... and this happens everyday, all over the world: Men humble themselves and believe in Jesus; Christ floods their heart with love, Joy and peace "Peace that surpasses all understanding"
      Praise God!!!!!

December 19, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
    • o.k.

@EvolvedDNA–the standard atheist approach–not everyhing goes as well as we want it so God can't exist. Boo Hoo.

We live in an imperfect world–made imperfect by our sins (mine included), not by God's choosing. Reading these blogs for a number of months, I have concluded that the atheists (most–not all) who participate here are the most arrogant, selfish cry babies I have ever known. Its time to put your man pants on and accept the fact that the bad and evil that occurs in this world is our fault, not God's. When you accept an eternal perspective, the ugliness of this world falls into its proper context and you can move on to see all of the beauty he has created.

December 19, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
    • David

Thanks Bob's Friend, You have just described the Christian Right.

December 19, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

I heartily second the advice from Bobs Friend. Indeed I hope ALL Christians spend ALL their time in prayer. Really, ALL of it! Please. No, no, don't worry about us, we'll be fine, really. Just go back to your praying. It's really, really important for you to do it, so don't stop, ever. Thank you.

December 19, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

Ok..I agree with you.. the problems of the world, and the wonderful things happening in it are all due to all the collective actions of the beings on the planet. As god does not exist he has nothing to do with it.. which is the point I made. why do you call athiests arrogant? we simply have not been given any evidence that god exists and you continue to show you have none. Do you not think that having a personal god who has your every need in mind, has all the answers provided you have simple questions, and allows you to hate gay folks with impunity, and dislikes you being challenged on your beliefs as not arrogant perhaps? Religion is big business, and has been for thousands of years. but it is waiting to see a prophet

December 19, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
    • fred

Ungodly
      We are not Hell Bent on destruction just aware that life is short and time valuable. Followers of Christ are to be servants and helpful to others. We are to love our neighbor and wish only the best for them. God bless you neighbor !

December 19, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
    • fred

EvolvedDNA
      Christians are not waiting for prophet we are looking forward to the future with anticipation. In the meantime Jesus made it clear we are work as unto the Lord in all that we do. So this means poviding for the hungry, sick and the poor to the best of our ability. Muslims are waiting to the 13th Imam to bring an end to life. Jews are awaiting the comming of their King.
      I will pray for you as I wait this christmas season

December 19, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

Fred..do you think then, that those who do not believe are incapable of helping others, are bad folks, are not as good as those who believe.. and if god were proven not to exist, you would forget your fellow human being? of course not. It is your evolutionary background that encourages you to work with others....it is how we survived as a species. Life is short I totally agree and why spend time worrying about a god who will have you for an eternity anyway. He may be a great guy, similar to the god in Time bandits, and not at all like the vicious sin hating,vengeful god religions have invented.. Why waste a beautiful short existence on such worries.

December 19, 2011 at 9:53 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

Fred..looks like we crossed blogged..hate that when it happens! The things you claim Jesus said, about feeding the starving,helping the sick and poor are all basic human values that existed at the dawn of human existence. you see the same traits in the higher primates. If we had waited till this was told to us the human race would have expired long before JC arrived. I am sorry but I see nothing in the message that requires a specific belief in Jesus, or any other prophet to be good. You just need to be a good Human, and most folks are regardless of their personal beliefs.

December 19, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • o.k.

@evolved...you're changing your argument. You first blame God for: "allowing starving children in Africa,killing thousands in weather related disasters, allowing the abuse of folks with in his own supposed church." Yet now you claim he does not exist. I suspect you ahere to the later, so you are, in fact, now blaiming God. But this drives (among other things) the arrogance charge–you (atheists) call us stupid (read the other posts throughout this blog–third world is accepting Christ because they are uneducated, for instance), you specifically, by your own post, suggest that we worship some kind of monster who wills this horrible tragedies upon us, you (atheists) mock us by referring to the mythical sky being, the flying spaghetti monster, etc. You wonder why I charge many (not all) of the atheists on this blog as arrogant? Really?

I welcome a healthy debate. If you do not believe in God, and question my belief, I will not accuse you of arrogance. I will be happy to respond to your fair questons. But If you resort to childish name calling and insults, yes–I'll call you arrogant. Wouldn't you agree?

December 19, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
    • fred

EvolvedDNA
      Not so certain if I would be as giving without Jesus. Yes, I was mostly kind and helpful when the opportunity crossed my path. The majority of time I was working and playing (ski, skate, motocross, etc), god did not exist. After God revealed his son Jesus to me I was changed. Suddenly the things of God took first place and helping others second. These days I really need to pray hard in order to have Christ's compassion towards others as with the recession times are hard and I resources are slim. These boards a most likely a temporary escape.

December 20, 2011 at 12:19 am |
    • EvolvedDNA

OK .. you do not name call ? please read your previous posts..The claim made by those that believe is that god protects, looks after you etc.. we see disasters earthquakes, mudslides storms, famine.. all natural ..nothing man made about those... and yet the god you worship stands idly by and does nothing. We know why. You still have not explained why we are considered arrogant..yes, we ask what evidence you have and you cannot say..faith is not evidence. I would believe if you can show evidence or a true miracle ..say an amputee growing limbs back ....now are you to arrogant to admit that, with the right evidence, you would disbelieve? What would you accept as proof .....

December 20, 2011 at 1:07 am |
    • o.k.

@evolved...what point is there in pointing out miracles to an unbeliever...even Jesus lamented the fact that people did believe when they saw miralces. We have a whole Bible filled with accounts of miralces, but you reject it outright. God wants people of faith–people who will believe in Him whole heartedly. You demand that he perform tricks before you will believe. He does not work that Way. He has never worked that way. Your "grow a limb back" argument is absurd–and it continues the standard atheist rant that if things are not 100% perfect, there can be no God. You suggest that there can be no God becuase no God would idly stands by when bad things happen. I've seen in my own life incredibly great things happen in spite of the bad things–He's working, you're just not looking.

December 20, 2011 at 10:37 am |
    • evolvedDNA

OK.. You have actually given no answer at all. Why is asking for proof such a hard thing for you to accept? I have told you what it would take for me to believe.. why is your god so shy...he could prove all of the atheists wrong in one simple move. Now what would it take for you to be convinced these is no god..remember the arrogant thing... .or do you have the absolute truth?

December 20, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  19. b4bigbang

@Truth: There *is* more to the righteousness question, but the full story is only profitable for believers, because if ya reject the very 1st premise, then will u *really* pay attention to the rest of the answer?

December 19, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
  20. JOHN DOE

The gospels were not written by eye witnesses ,they can not agree on which day Jesus was crucified, what he said while being crucified, who was at the tomb or where were the disciples were supposed to meet after the resurrection. The virgin birth stories both cant be true . Isaiah 7th chapter is not about a virgin birth but a military crisis and the maturity of Immanuel was to mark the destruction of Ahaz's enemies.

December 19, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
    • Bobs Friend

Humble yourself before Almighty God and He will answer all your questions. He loves you, He is calling you. If you cling to your "Intellectual" arrogance you will never encounter Jesus Christ, as millions of people have.

We have been transformed overnight.. in a moment.... from unbelieving critics and mockers to humble servants of the most high God. He has turned our world upside down, we see the whole world and life in a new way, a way you will not understand until you become born again.

December 19, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • Alex

In regards to Is. 7 – look at Is. 9:6-7. Messianic prophesies are scattered around Isaiah. The Hebrew word for virgin/maiden in Is 7was rarely used and odd since there were more common words for "maiden". So, yes, this was both about the military crisis and a prophecy about Christ. As far as crucifixion details, people reported what they heard and saw. It's quite possible that one person missed something Jesus said while another heard it. Merry Christmas!

December 19, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

Bobs friend..can you give us an example of how your god transformed the lives of thousands of starving folks over night.. may be they died and went out of their misery? Why has god no apparent love for Africans and seem to prefer those folks in say, America, who can say they have had their life transformed with no evidence. You were born an atheist.. and you were born again? maybe thats a sign of what Thor wants?

December 19, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
    • Chrism

The latest research on eye-witnesses shows how unreliable they are. The old testament says don't rely on just one. To have agreement from multiple eye-witnesses is such strong proof. The crucifixion. The empty tomb. Thief this was "whisper down the lane" the disagreement would be enormous. The details of what Jesus said is entirely consistent with one witness hearing one thing, another missing something hearing something else. I've no idea where you got your false information about isaah but that is wrong. God clearly said He would give the Jews a sign. The virgin shall be with child was God showing Himself. Nothing military circus no what is that?

December 19, 2011 at 9:07 pm |