home
RSS
December 19th, 2011

Christianity goes global as world's largest religion

By Richard Allen Greene, CNN

(CNN) - Christians are by far the largest religious group on the planet, and the religion has gone truly global over the past century, according to a new report out Monday, which finds some of the world's biggest Christian communities in surprising places.

Europe was the clear center of world Christianity one hundred years ago, but today the Americas are home to more than a third of all Christians. In fact, the United States has the world's largest Christian population, of more than 247 million, followed by Brazil and Mexico.

China also appears on the list of top 10 largest Christian populations - with an estimated 67 million Christians, it has more followers of the faith than any western European country.

There are nearly 2.2 billion Christians around the world, making up about one-third of the world's population - the same percentage as a century ago, according to the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

Islam is the world's second largest religion, with about 1.6 billion followers worldwide, the Washington-based organization calculates. That's just under one-quarter of the estimated 2010 world population of 6.9 billion.

Sub-Saharan Africa has seen the biggest explosion in its Christian population in the past century, going from about 9 million Christians in 1910 to about 516 million today - nearly a quarter of all the world's Christians. Three of the world's ten largest Christian populations are in Africa: Nigeria, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Ethiopia.

The study, "Global Christianity," is based on demographic and opinion data from 232 countries and territories. It's part of the Pew-Templeton Global Religious Futures Project, which has also included reports on the current and projected number of Muslims in the world.

It does not measure practice or belief, merely counting as Christian anyone who says they are.

The report calculates that half the world's Christians are Catholic, 37% are Protestants, and 12% are Orthodox. The remaining 1 percent belong to other traditions such as Mormonism.

- Newsdesk editor, The CNN Wire

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

soundoff (2,648 Responses)
  1. b4bigbang

Now, please turn the flame down a little and tell me how i can reply to your reply, seeing as how there's no reply button for it...

December 19, 2011 at 11:58 pm |
    • Answer

If you're running a mobile – chances are you have to set your incoming scripts to CNN as "safe".. there are also various other settings relating to browsers and add-ins if you are using them. They are basically under various security settings – learn to deactivate the ones that screen CNN wordpress or html scripts.

December 20, 2011 at 12:04 am |
    • RichardSRussell

On CNN (not everywhere), replies run 1 layer deep. You can reply to an original comment but not to a REPLY to an original comment. This should not prove much of a handicap, tho, as perusal of a couple of pages here will reveal.

Suppose X makes an original comment, then Y replies to it. You are Z, and you wish to reply to what Y said. What you do is click on the "Reply" link below X's original comment and begin your own (Z's) comment with "Y said ...." or "To Y" or "@ Y", just to convey the idea that you're responding to X, not Y.

Does that help?

December 20, 2011 at 12:07 am |
    • RichardSRussell

And of course, what I SHOULD have written was "just to convey the idea that you're responding to Y, not X". Oops.

December 20, 2011 at 12:15 am |
  2. b4bigbang

Answer

Use the reply you t-w-a-t.

Oh, ok i see what the deal is with u Answer. You want me to always use the reply button instead of posting my reply at top of page. I do when the stream slows down, but when it's fast, the replies often get buried b4 they can be seen. Im not the only one doing this im sure.
    Sorry if it offends ya, i'll try to do more reply button replies for ya if feasible.

December 19, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
    • Answer

Feasible – no it is about the sensibility of dialogue.

I would like to know what is your primary Intelligent Design website that you refer to? I know your type/kind of people – you reek of it.

December 20, 2011 at 12:01 am |
    • b4bigbang

yeah, ill give it a try.....

December 20, 2011 at 12:16 am |
  3. b4bigbang

Answer

The right question is to ask if you believe in the equipment that tests for the conclusion of the Higgs?

You believe in the computer correct? Stretch it to the various machines and devices that are used to detect it. If you can not then you will never accept the logic if it were discovered.

Still waiting 4 the answers to my questions from Tom. Would u like to answer them while i wait 4 Tom's reply? Then maybe my explanation to my reasoning would make better sense.

December 19, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
    • Answer

If you have a reply just reply.. but you don't even use the reply. So who cares about your response in the first.

You're totally inept in logic and reason anyways. No wonder you're religious.

December 19, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
    • b4bigbang

Answer

Feasible – no it is about the sensibility of dialogue.

Ok, i just hit the reply button on one of MY OWN posts, seeing as how there was NO REPLY BUTTON to click to answer your reply to my reply. Will that satisfy you???

Also, i will say that while i occasionally encounter polite discussion/argument coming from the atheist side (you know who u r, and i say thanks) i see no reason to continue dialogue with an inellectual bigot.

This is a good question
      I know your type/kind of people – you reek of it.
      This is snarky, bigoted and shows that you have no interest in any semblance of an open-minded discussion.

December 20, 2011 at 12:10 am |
    • Answer

Intelligent Design is creationist. When you want to discuss science and use science then you are relevant.

It's your choice to come out clean and not try to confuse your take with creationism and embed them into science and try to redefine that as truth. It will never be valid.

December 20, 2011 at 12:13 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I have no idea what your "questions" are, since it is impossible to follow the wandering path of your posts. I doubt it matters, since it's unlikely your questions are any more intelligent than your answers have been.

December 20, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
  4. b4bigbang

excellent point.

December 19, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
    • Answer

Use the reply you t-w-a-t.

December 19, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
    • b4bigbang

Answer

Dont flame me, i used the reply button. For my part, im gonna ask u guys to please copy and paste the comment/question u want me to answer when the forum is going fast and furious. Otherwise, how can i keep it straight with my answer when 4 or more atheists are answering questions with questions, deflecting, etc?

December 20, 2011 at 12:26 am |
  5. b4bigbang

HEY WOW, i must be a full-fledged member now because i just got my very own b4bigbang imposter !!!
    Thanks youngster, but dont stay up too late!

PS: the blah blah blah post was not the real b4bigbang.....

December 19, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
    • Answer

Don't care for who is real .. most people pay attention to just the comments.

December 19, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

I have one as well. I take it as a compliment. It means that something I said got through to them and they are lashing out.

December 19, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

We knew it wasn't you because the impostor used the "Reply" function, so he or she has apparently advanced beyond 3rd grade.

December 19, 2011 at 11:51 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

December 19, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

I see my imposter has been coaxed out
      "No lashing out here. I actually state valuable, reasonable opinions. Unlike some of the hateful comments I see posted here all the time from certain people."
      The truth hurts don't it! I see right through you. When you are capable of depending on the power of your arguments or even the power of your mythical God, feel free to stop pretending to be me and start being a man.

December 20, 2011 at 12:08 am |
  6. b4bigbang

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Will you figure out how to respond or else just go away?

Prove there is a soul. Go ahead. Try to show you have one by typing a response using the reply function.

Well, i have intellect, emotions and will, so yes i have a soul.
    My question. Prove there is a Higgs Boson. Do u believe it exists? On what evidence? If no conclusive evidence, how about your intuition? Yes? No?

December 19, 2011 at 11:41 pm |

December 19, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
    • Keith

Everyone get down, I think tommy's about to blow!

December 19, 2011 at 11:58 pm |

@Keith

Meaning you would like to imagine that. Get the proper imagery down right.

December 20, 2011 at 12:06 am |
    • Keith

Tom has the problem with imagery and visualization. I don't. Just looking back at some of the threads and seeing how tom criticizes someone for being a bad representation of Christianity, more or less. But for crying out loud, is tom the ambassador for all you atheists? Talk about evil, mean-spirited, condescending, pompous... Who in their right mind would want the atheist joy in this individual's black heart?

December 20, 2011 at 12:18 am |

@Keith

In the same area of thought it is "who would want your kind of love in their heart."? You are just a hateful individual.

December 20, 2011 at 12:23 am |
    • Keith

Answer, I love you enough to post what I do as a warning that there really is a hell and I don't want you to go there. You people mistake my concern for you as "hate"-when nothing could be further from the truth. I don't even hate Tom-I realize that Tom is lost, lost, lost and needs help finding the Way. What I do hate is evil. I hate seeing people duped into going into eternal fire-yes I hate that.

December 20, 2011 at 9:33 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What a phony. You couldn't care less about anyone else, much less his/her future, you fake. You continually rail at anyone and everyone you dislike and pretend you know what will happen to them after death. You don't. Get off your duff and go do something for those who need your help. You're a waste of space here.

December 20, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The Big Phony: "I love you enough..." You are a lying sack, Keith. Hate seeps from every post you type. You are obviously in love with the idea of retribution and punishment and you practically drool over the thought that people who don't agree with your point of view on social issues might end up in your imaginary 'hell'.

Get a life. You are spending time here that you will never get back. Why aren't you spending it with your kids? Your wife? The poor? The needy? The homeless? The hungry? The lonely?

You're a fraud. A Christian behaves like Christ. You're doing nothing remotely resembling the work Christ commanded you to do.

December 20, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
    • Keith

Jam 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, [and] to keep himself unspotted from the world. Get of my duff? As a matter of fact, I cut a pick up load of fire wood yesterday for an 80+ year-old widow, my mom's aunt. Glad to do it. Believers take care of their own. Not that she's in affliction or anything-she's probably got more money than she knows what to do with and can certainly afford propane-but she enjoys the even warmth of wood heat on the really cold windy days. And she enjoys a little company now and then. I'm curious. How are your arms feeling?

December 20, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
    • Keith

I wasn't aware you were so familiar with Christ's work.

December 20, 2011 at 7:47 pm |
    • Keith

Eze 3:18 When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked [man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

Eze 3:19 Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.

Eze 3:20 Again, When a righteous [man] doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
      I do spend time with them, but they're saved-you're not.

December 20, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
    • Keith

As far as me being called hateful, this is my response: Isa 5:20 ¶ Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Isa 5:21 ¶ Woe unto [them that are] wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

December 20, 2011 at 7:57 pm |
    • Louisa Ferre

dear Keith

that has nothing to do with being Christian in fact I do the same stuff and I curse Jesus name,.. actually just a few days ago I hacked and stored about a ton of wood for the homeless shelter, which is a Christian organization for the winter

December 20, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
    • Keith

Why does the name of Jesus exact such a response from you? He died for your sins so that you might be saved.

December 20, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  7. GodofLunaticsCreation

If Man was God's most precious creation then why did he spend more time making the eyes of an owl more complex than our own?

December 19, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
  8. b4bigbang

I took Ungodly Disciplines rant to be a joke like on Dr Strangelove when the Pres said "gentlemen this is disgraceful! Arguing in the War Room!". total lol.

December 19, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
  9. b4bigbang

Hint: when u look it up, it's prob not the african-american cultural ref he's referring to.......

December 19, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  10. b4bigbang

Seriously?

@George
    Please define some terms:
    -"open up your hearts"
    -"feel God literally change you"
    -"experience this with your soul"
    -"soul"

Seriously Seriously? Define soul? R u thinking maybe he has his own private definition or are u unable to go to dictionary com?
    Sheesh!

December 19, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Will you figure out how to respond or else just go away?

December 19, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
    • Seriously?

Sorry b4bigbang, but the list just sounds like the ingredients for a word salad.

December 19, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
    • b4bigbang

blah blah blah blah blah blah

That's what I read when tom posts piles of garbage.

Dear Tom, shut it. ❤

December 19, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

I know, I know! "Soul": That's what Aretha Franklin has, and everybody else WISHES they had.

What do I win?

December 19, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
    • Answer

Wow you finally got the idea of using the 'reply' feature!

December 19, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
  11. Bobs Friend

Regarding Christopher Hitchens: Where he went, we do not know, because all the things that need to be done can be done in the confines of the heart.. between a man and God. He had no sudden death.. he knew it was coming. So none of us know if he had one moment of clarity before he died.. repented and gave himself to Christ..
    After all.. Jeffery Dahmer repented and gave his life to Christ before he was murdered in prison.. he is in heaven. Son of Sam also. .. he is a whole new person, serving others in prison, donating book proceeds to victims... etc.

Just more EVIDENCE of the redeeming power of Christ at work all day every day.
    That is the whole point of the Christian faith.. that all men can be redeemed. The illusion is when we imagine ourselves somehow more worthy of redemption than Dahmer, Sam or even.. Hitchens.
    "ALL have fallen short of the glory of God"
    Praise God for redeeming Sam, and Jeff, and every other degenerate sinner like me in the world.
    I truly hope CHRISTopher met God before he passed.

December 19, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

I understand your heart is in the right place but you have to understand that what you said is offensive to Hitchens and people who cared about him. He considered it so offensive that he took pains to make sure that he would unquestionably die, an atheist.

December 19, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
    • Bobs Friend

Being offended is the cost of living in a free society, and I'm sure Christopher would understand that. Of course the Christian purpose is never to offend for offense sake, but if offense happens in the course of proclaiming the Gospel, then better that people are offended then never hear about the hope, love and peace offered by Jesus Christ.

I was familiar with his work. Yet I try to remind / warn Christians about being dogmatic about where they believe about sinners when they die, because of the reason that I gave; a man can have a last minute change of heart.. dying does that to people.
      Because of what I know, I do truly hope he found Jesus Christ in his final moments.

December 19, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
    • Bobs Friend

Romans 1:16
      "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile."

December 19, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

I agree. Using your logic it is possible that Jesus converted before his death. Not only that, but there is more evidence to prove that Jesus converted, When he asked why his father had forsaken him, then Hitchens who was surrounded by witnesses.

December 19, 2011 at 11:58 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

Given the evidence it is more likely that Jesus converted than Hitchens.

December 19, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
  12. RichardSRussell

paradise ginning galaxies

December 19, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Think of it this way. If God really wanted to create ...

December 19, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

... a little Paradise for ...

December 19, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

... w o n d e r f u l us, ...

December 19, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

... his favorite critters, why would he have gone to all the trouble of ginning up a hundred million galaxies, each with a hundred million stars, most of THEM with a dozen or so planets, then let the whole shebang stew for about 15,000,000,000 years before we showed up to claim the prize? Does that seem like design of ANY kind to you, let alone INTELLIGENT design? Looks to me like a giant accident.

December 19, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

And does anybody have a clue as to what CNN's problem is with the word "w o n d e r f u l"?

December 19, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
    • Test

wonderful

December 19, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
    • Test

nope... wonderful seems to be fine (heh, I thought that it might be the 'fu' in it).

December 19, 2011 at 11:34 pm |

TEST wonderful

December 19, 2011 at 11:45 pm |

TEST wonder

December 19, 2011 at 11:48 pm |

TEST derful

December 19, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Well, it took me several shots to whittle down my original paragraph by process of elimination to find out that the thing that was preventing CNN from posting it was the phrase "for w o n d e r f u l us", which is why I asked. And, indeed, when I tried to post this very message right here, except with the critical word unspaced, it also went off into the great bitbucket in the bowels of CNN. Yet posting it all by itself DOESN'T seem to trigger the nannybot. Anyone got a clue?

December 19, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
    • Test

wonderf.ul us

December 20, 2011 at 12:03 am |
    • Test

wonde.rful us

December 20, 2011 at 12:05 am |
    • Test

wonderfu.l us

December 20, 2011 at 12:06 am |
    • Test

That's bizarre, Richard. I can't figure it out either.... I won't bore everyone by testing a dot between each letter, but it's one for the books, for sure.

December 20, 2011 at 12:09 am |
  13. Ungodly Discipline

Some of my atheist and agnostic brothers and sisters may not appreciated this blog, however I feel the need to be honest about this so I am going to set the record straigt.

I have many religions friends and family. I DO NOT talk politics or religion with them. That does not make for a good Holiday meal. An besides, who cares.

I am not concerned about being right about anything. I just want to be left alone. Now, that may sound hypricrecial since I enjoy arguing a bit on the blogs, but hey, if you are on the blogs, that is why your are here. To blow off a little steam and that is fine with me.

I don’t take anything personally and I don’t mean anything personal. It is just fun. That is my take.

Now having said all of that, I have noticed that he Christians and other religious folks have been ramping up the rhetoric about Jesus and Heaven and how that relates to Jews and Muslims and this conflict just goes on and on.

Therefore I am going to say this to all of you religious people, whatever that religion may be:

You are absolute and complete morons. The world would be a MUCH better place without you. You really should listen to the Agnostics and atheists and their wisdom and put your hate an petty discrepancies aside. You are EVIL, WRONG, WICKED and everything you say and do is harmful to society. Take your hate, bend over, an shove it all up you’re a-ss. Enough of you and your angry, destructive religions.

Now having said that, let’s build a peaceful world, togeher, with love.

December 19, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
    • b4bigbang

Good one UD!

December 19, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
    • Answer

I also have friends who are religious and of different lifestyles. I share most of what you share Ungodly .. just my style is a lot harsher. Kind of uncaring about being nice to the religious people who love to lie and be deceitful.

December 19, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
    • George

"You are EVIL, WRONG, WICKED and everything you say and do is harmful to society."

Without God, there is no way to know what is good and what if evil. Those are religious concepts. And are you truly an atheist or are you pulling our legs? Last week, you were a believer.

December 19, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
    • UD is a coward

Calling people names really makes the case work well for you. Thank you, oh majestic, unicorn-riding knight in glistening Twilight skin.

You're so strong, calling people names in an anonymous setting. I bet you don't have it in you to look another man in the eye on the street. Typical of your kind.

December 19, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
    • b4bigbang

Some day, you're going to make someone very happy in prison, UD. Ya know, especially with all the experience you've got under your belt already.

December 19, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
    • Answer

I didn't think you religious people liked anything but to voice "hell" as the only alternative for what Ungodly Discipline said. Guess your kind is starting not to believe in hell by mentioning prison instead.

December 19, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

Ungodly is just letting you know how he honestly feels. He says he has Christian friends and family and so does every atheist. You can't say that every Christian has an atheist friend. That alone speaks volumes. I understand what he is saying. I saw an article where Bachman says something about how helping Israel keeps us in God's favor and it reminded me of a Sgt. I was arguing with last night who said that we have to protect Israel or we will fall out of favor with God. It IS disgusting and no matter what gripe you have with what an atheist says, you are the ones STILL using God's name to commit wicked deeds.

December 19, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
  14. George

You will never have proof of God until you open up your hearts, and then you will have all the proof you need. You will feel God literally change you. You have to experience this with your soul.

December 19, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
    • Answer

Go and spread out your ribcage and reveal your heart George.

December 19, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Really. My uncle opened up his heart. To a surgeon. For a bypass.

I love how George "opened up his heart" to Tangela, the woman whose blog he responded to by saying that she should pay for her choices.

Yeah, there's a GREAT Christian for you. A real "big-hearted" guy.

Puke.

December 19, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
    • Seriously?

@George
      Please define some terms:
      -"open up your hearts"
      -"feel God literally change you"
      -"experience this with your soul"
      -"soul"

December 19, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
    • George

"open up your heart" = be open to God

You do that, and you can define for yourself all that follows.

December 19, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, please. Why, after reading any of your posts, George, would ANYONE want to emulate you in any way? You are a completely hateful, nasty, judgmental jerk. If you're a Christian, Christianity is lost.

December 19, 2011 at 11:31 pm |

Sure George.

Like it has been said already by myself.. do just that – literally.

December 19, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Sure, you call yourself George, but I recognize the line. That's you, isn't it, Bernie Madoff? "Open up your hearts", "just believe", yeah, where have we heard THAT before?

December 19, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
    • Seriously?

@George
      When I was very young, before I developed reason, I was "open to god" (I'm serious – assuming you mean "not skeptical of the idea/existence of god")...and not once did I "feel God literally change" me or experience anything "with [my] soul". In fact, I never once "felt" even the presence of god or "my soul". How do you explain that, George? I mean, other than the fact that I was "born in sin".

December 19, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
    • Seriously?

Tom, Tom, and you aren't a hateful, judgmental jerk? You're the worst I've seen on here. You act like someone that runs a megachurch. You poor and lonely? It seems the likely culprit.

December 19, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

Im sure Jim Jones' and David Corech's followers thought they were feeling God too.

December 19, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
    • Seriously?

Will you look at that – between the time I replied to George at 11:39 and the time I ranted at Tom Tom at 11:41, my writing degraded from university level to third grade level. How do you suppose that happened?

December 19, 2011 at 11:58 pm |
    • George

Seriously and Tom Tom, are you lovers or something?

December 20, 2011 at 12:02 am |
    • Seriously?

@George
      Is Jesus giving you a feeling George? Because I'm not sure where that came from.

December 20, 2011 at 12:05 am |
  15. b4bigbang

Answer

"u may believe that all those people God killed were great guys but I dont. We know from the Bible and from archaelogy what they were all about, child sacrifice, etc..."

You fail basic logic 101. How do you justify in knowing those people are "not the great guys"? From your bible – telling you that they were bad and you believe it. Now here you are just reaffirming what the bible states out. You are following a book and never thinking that god was never there in the first place. It was just another bunch of people deciding who were the bad guys. But don't let the facts smack you in the face just because you think the bible is real..

Actually u fail the logic test. It is perfectly acceptable to posit an assumption in an argument and then engage the other side in 'what-ifs'. Or, I believe after seeing certain evidence to assume this to be true as opposed to my colleage on the other side who puts the facts together and comes out with an opposing viewpoint.

What u r doing is begging the question, ie, "since its all man-made fair tails, it cant be true so debate ends there...."

December 19, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
    • Answer

If you think you can put out an assumption to justify your god for your bible – it's your justification. Don't tell others it is true just because you think your bible is right though. It isn't by a long shot.

Give glory to your own stupidity for your own self righteous bs but don't expect others to go supporting your outlandish and outdated views stemming from your crappy book.

December 19, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Sez the dolt who can't figure out the reply function.

December 19, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
  16. The Phist

Amazing. People still think religion is relevant to something, in some way.

December 19, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
  17. Camaux

Well, look, you are arguing over a Subject with no winner, thats my hall pass

December 19, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
    • Answer

So in everything in life and comments there has to be a winner right?

So are you a winner just because you think others are just arguing to speak out? Why don't you just not exercise your right and not read or listen and just tell yourself to stop? You make real sense there buddy – telling others how you do not others to argue.

December 19, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
  18. b4bigbang

I ask you, in all sincerity, if you saw a person drowning and you were standing next to a lifebuoy, wouldn't you fling it out to the victim? I know *I* would, and so would everyone else I know, regardless of their religious beliefs or absence thereof. It's simple humanity. Your contention, evidently, is that God is above simple humanity. In that assessment I am perfectly willing to agree with you. The jerk would probably chuck the drowner a boulder and say "This would be a swell time to learn how to swim."

Russell, if the guy was saying help help but u could read his mind and heard him say "as soon as this fool pulls me into his life boat im gonna kill him and eat him", would u still save him? Of course not! But Jesus did just that knowing that the majority would hate him anyway. As for God in the old testament, u may believe that all those people God killed were great guys but I dont. We know from the Bible and from archaelogy what they were all about, child sacrifice, etc...

December 19, 2011 at 11:00 pm |

December 19, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"We know from the Bible.." You don't know anything from the Bible. The Bible isn't factual.

December 19, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Really!? Your 1st thot on seeing a drowning person is "If I save him, will he try to kill me?". Wow. No wonder you have such a distorted view of your fellow human beings and applaud having as many of them killed off as possible.

Say no more, my friend, you have revealed yourself as the perfect candidate for Christianity.

December 19, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

Your sins were redeemed by CHILD SACRIFICE, according to the bible.

December 19, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
  19. Camaux

The truth is, why are we arguing this, we should agree to disagree..........besides, if a screen wasn't in front of you, you wouldn't dare say what you do aloud.

To Everyone

December 19, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
    • Answer

Let me guess .. you are the self appointed hall monitor correct?

Here as the calming grandmother in the time honored tradition that you must be your own self appointed moderator..
      Show your hall monitor pass to everyone please.

December 19, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  20. Seriously?

@Keith
    Hey Keith...you forgot to tell us the current elapsed time Christopher Hitchens has been burning.
    ...ya sadistic bigot.

My apologies if "this" is not "that" Keith – otherwise...ya sadistic bigot.

December 19, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
    • George

I'll answer for Keith. by tomorrow morning he will have been burning for 4 days.

December 19, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No, he hasn't. The rest of us, however, are being tortured daily with your idiotic spew.

December 19, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
    • Answer

Sure George.. your absolute certainty is what defines your position. Just like how you will be saved and go to heaven.

December 19, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
    • Seriously?

@George
      I knew you were a bit of a dim-bulb George, but I didn't derive you were as mean-spirited as Keith. Thanks for setting me straight.

December 19, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
    • hotairace

Assuming for a moment that there is such a place as hell, and there is not, I would rather spend eternity there than spend one second in heaven (which also does not exist) with the likes of Keith, George, Herbie, HeavenScent and/or Chad (with apologies to other rabid believers for not naming you) not that I think they're guaranteed a spot in heaven (if such a place exists, and it does not).

December 19, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Bravo, HotAir. I agree. After seeing George's comment about Tangela, I can see he's not some harmless old goat after all. He's a pox.

December 19, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
    • George

@HotAir

Be careful, you might just get your wish. Someone once actually calculated the temperature of hell.

December 19, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
    • Answer

Who would be able to do that George? A religious idiot through prayer?

December 19, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"Someone" did? Then you can give us the person's name and cite the study he/she did, George, you puny little t urd.

December 19, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
    • hotairace

George, your response was completely predictable and expected. It would make things a little more interesting in here if believers would come up with some new, novel responses...

With respect to the temperature of hell, it has been theorized that the temperature is 285 F. Of course this was arrived at scientifically on earth – no actual visits to hell were made, so this has the same degree of truth as The Babble, as in none!

December 19, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

The "temperature of hell" may be a garbled version of a famous joke about how a student got an A on his chem final with a brilliant essay about whether hell was exothermic or endothermic, based on the likelihood of his going to bed with the gal he had a crush on as a freshman. You could probably google it.

December 20, 2011 at 12:02 am |
    • hotairace

That is one of the stories that pops up. Another is about the temperature of rocks heated in a open flame – that is where I got 285 F from. I couldn't find a definitive "back from hell with actual measurement" story so must assume George's claim is just more of his usual blather.

December 20, 2011 at 12:07 am |
    • GodofLunaticsCreation

More like burning up the dance floor!

December 20, 2011 at 12:10 am |