home
RSS
December 19th, 2011

Christianity goes global as world's largest religion

By Richard Allen Greene, CNN

(CNN) - Christians are by far the largest religious group on the planet, and the religion has gone truly global over the past century, according to a new report out Monday, which finds some of the world's biggest Christian communities in surprising places.

Europe was the clear center of world Christianity one hundred years ago, but today the Americas are home to more than a third of all Christians. In fact, the United States has the world's largest Christian population, of more than 247 million, followed by Brazil and Mexico.

China also appears on the list of top 10 largest Christian populations - with an estimated 67 million Christians, it has more followers of the faith than any western European country.

There are nearly 2.2 billion Christians around the world, making up about one-third of the world's population - the same percentage as a century ago, according to the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

Islam is the world's second largest religion, with about 1.6 billion followers worldwide, the Washington-based organization calculates. That's just under one-quarter of the estimated 2010 world population of 6.9 billion.

Sub-Saharan Africa has seen the biggest explosion in its Christian population in the past century, going from about 9 million Christians in 1910 to about 516 million today - nearly a quarter of all the world's Christians. Three of the world's ten largest Christian populations are in Africa: Nigeria, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Ethiopia.

The study, "Global Christianity," is based on demographic and opinion data from 232 countries and territories. It's part of the Pew-Templeton Global Religious Futures Project, which has also included reports on the current and projected number of Muslims in the world.

It does not measure practice or belief, merely counting as Christian anyone who says they are.

The report calculates that half the world's Christians are Catholic, 37% are Protestants, and 12% are Orthodox. The remaining 1 percent belong to other traditions such as Mormonism.

- Newsdesk editor, The CNN Wire

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

soundoff (2,648 Responses)
  1. XtianNation

This is beautiful!!!! As the Bible says every knee shall bow to Jesus!!!!

December 21, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • Colin

Explain that to the other 5 billion who reject your silly Jewish David Koresh.

December 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  2. Kev

It does seem rather odd to me to make absolute conclusions based on sheer lack of evidence.

December 21, 2011 at 11:46 am |
  3. José Henrique

Atheism is the best religion. No foolish discussion, no war, no totalitarian regime based on religion, no inquisition, no cruzade.

More science, less blablabla!!!

December 21, 2011 at 9:51 am |
    • AtheistSteve

I agree with everything you said except for calling atheism a religion. Religion requires a belief in deity or other supernatural junk plus a doctrine that needs to be observed. Atheism has none of that...just a refusal to believe what theists are selling.

December 21, 2011 at 9:57 am |
    • bryant

AtheistSteve, do you even know the definition of religion?

Religion is a collection of cultural systems, belief systems, and worldviews that establishes symbols that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values.

Yes, atheism is a religion.

December 21, 2011 at 10:39 am |
    • SeanNJ

@bryant: I'd be inclined to turn to a dictionary instead of Wikipedia if I was looking for the definition of a word...

December 21, 2011 at 10:44 am |
    • So

"symbols that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values."

What symbols do atheists use that would qualify for this definition?

December 21, 2011 at 10:45 am |
    • HellBent

@bryant – is bald a hair color?

The description you posted refers to systems. Atheism is not a system. It is a lack of a system. Thus, atheism is not a religion. I don't understand why this is so hard for some believers to grasp.

December 21, 2011 at 10:46 am |
    • Chuckles

@So

We use the electron, but that's besides the point because a religion really needs two things to be considered as such. A supernatural or belief in the supernatural and performance of rituals. Atheism has neither and so is not a religion. It's such a ridiculous notion whenever someone tries to argue in favor of atheism being a religion as if it somehow validates their own religion..... I can as.sure anyone who thinks that atheism is a religion that not only are you wrong on that account, it doesn't help make your belief any less silly.

December 21, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • J.W

Atheists worship Hawking and Dawkins and practice the ritual of being nerds.

December 21, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • Chuckles

@JW

Well.....Hawking and Dawkins aren't supernatural.....not yet. But I will admit I do make a ritual of being the nerdiest nerd that I can be.

December 21, 2011 at 11:15 am |
    • geraldh

Religion does not require belief in a diety. Budhism for instanst does not have dieties, though it allows for their existence, to my understanding.

December 21, 2011 at 11:31 am |
    • J.W

I bet a scientist will discover a way to make himself supernatural, and the atheists will totally worship him for it. He will tell them there is a heaven and only the very nerdy will get in.

December 21, 2011 at 11:33 am |
    • Chuckles

@geraldh

Except that the Buddha is the classic example of believing in a supernatural being..... he supposedly walked right out of the womb walking and talking, among the other miracles attributed to him. Some people try to classify buddhism as a philosophy because there are big points within it that strongly identify with philosophy and not religion, but it's still a religion. You could however make the argument that although Confucianism is sometimes counted as part of the religious ranks that it is not in fact a religion at all, on that point I would agree with you.

@JW
      If Hawking one day sat up and got out of his chair, I would start worshipping him immediatly

December 21, 2011 at 11:39 am |
    • J.W

What if he told you he prayed to God then he was able to get out of his chair?

December 21, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • HotAirAce

If he could show definitive "cause and effect" then I would listen to his story and evaluate it and evidence he presented. I wouldn't believe anything just because he said it.

December 21, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • Chuckles

@JW

Ditto to waht HotAirAce said. If Stephen just got up and started walking and talking again I would for sure sit up and notice and I would not completely count out this as an act of god, especially if he said he did nothing and changed nothing in his regimen other than he began to pray to god then I could be swayed. It sort of compares to if we saw someone regrow a missing limb with no science aid.

The real question however is, what if that happened and he said he had been praying in hebrew, or better yet he had prayed to Ra..... would you consider converting?

December 21, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • J.W

I might be willing to convert if I saw a good reason to. I am still considering the theory that it is all the same God, and that people just worship according to their own customs. I guess the main problem would be how monotheistic and polytheistic religions fit together.

December 21, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • Lou

You must have a very empty soul and no sprituality – I pitty you.

December 21, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • J.W

I don't think it means I have an empty soul and no spirituality. Just the opposite actually. I want to believe that people of all religions have a connection to God.

December 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • hahaha

Atheism is not a religion- it is a lack of belief in anything but that you are your own God. You are essentially saying that you (man) created himself from nothing....

December 21, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
    • HellBent

"it is a lack of belief in anything but that you are your own God. You are essentially saying that you (man) created himself from nothing"

ummm ... no. Try again. Fail.

December 21, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
    • LunAtheicst

Atheism is NOT Religion. It's lack of something, thus, it's NOTHING.

ATHEISM is NOTHING!

December 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • Roo

It isn't a religion to deny the belief in the existence of wizards, or elves, or trolls, or unicorns, or santa claus. Why then, is it considered a religion to deny the existence of gods? Is it a religion to deny the existence of Hercules or Zeus? Then the christian is also an atheist. I find it funny they consider atheism a religion only when it threatens the existence of their particular god.

December 24, 2011 at 1:53 am |
  4. LIMRA

May b this is the reason y Americans are killing the Muslims in Middle east so tat they dnt catch up with there so cald Number....

December 21, 2011 at 8:10 am |
  5. brendan

untill some one can present me with some tangible evidence there is nothing that can change my mind. evidence is need to make a clame what if i said i can fly i wont show you but just beleave me now because i have no proof does that mean i cant fly, what would you all say. now if i said my father is a invisable being that had inpregnated my mother without touching her, created all life as we know it and has sent me hear to help you all get to a place of imence happyness that no one can see usless you die! but i have no proof to give to you. now tell me which statment is more beleaveable

December 21, 2011 at 3:14 am |
    • SeanNJ

Ouch. I agree, I think.

December 21, 2011 at 11:18 am |
    • Kenrick Benjamin

Brendan here is some tangible evidence: Light, DON'T be hasty in reply , think this through for it is written in all your getting get understanding For JEHOVAH God is Light.

December 21, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Where is the tangible, verifiable, independent evidence that light and any god are connected?

Can I follow a light beam and find any god at the source or destination? If I turn on a light, does a god spring into existence, and conversely, does one cease to exist if I turn off a light?

As usual, you have provided religious mumbo jumbo with no facts.

December 21, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • brendan

@Kenrick Benjamin
      kendrick if i am understanding correctly you say that light is god. i can feel the wind on the back of my neck it doesnt mean someone is blowing on it

December 21, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  6. Matt

The rest of the world loves having a good laugh calling Americans stupid; is it really any surprise they're also religious nuts?

If you believe in an interventionist god; then you believe in a 'force' that chooses who lives, who dies, who eats, who starves, who is rich, who is poor. Sounds like a complete jerk to me.

Fear, ignorance and religion go very well together.

December 21, 2011 at 12:34 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Trust it, we are still at the top of the heap of all the rest of the countries on the planet. If they do not hate us or ridicule us for one thing it will be for something else.

December 21, 2011 at 1:31 am |
  7. MAJORITY always WINS

CHRISTIANITY RULES!!!

December 21, 2011 at 12:10 am |
    • HotAirAce

uneducated minds!

December 21, 2011 at 12:12 am |
  8. Reality

A 21st century summary:

• There was no Abraham i.e. the foundations of Judaism, Christianity and Islam are non-existent.

• There was no Moses i.e the pillars of Judaism, Christianity and Islam have no strength of purpose.

• There was no Easter i.e. Christianity completely fails as a religion.

• There was no Moroni i.e. Mormonism is nothing more than a business cult.

• Fat Buddhas here, skinny Buddhas there, reincarnated Buddhas everywhere makes for a no on Buddhism.

December 21, 2011 at 12:03 am |
    • love it

no moroni lol

December 21, 2011 at 3:16 am |
    • Thinkster

No Jesus either – no evidence beyond the western bible at all – and all that written well after the time of the supposed Jesus' existence – a tale that grew large in the telling – nothing more. No one that wrote about him ever met him – all dreams and nightmares – no facts or evidence.

For fools only.

December 21, 2011 at 5:31 am |
    • Muneef

Hmmm. Just to add it is a matter of choice and freedom of freewill....

Free will we been granted to us to choose from which path for us to follow and be repaid for during life and after life.
      There were three paths been mentioned that we find our selves at by controling or non controlling our deeds...
      Read it here in the opening of the Holy Book at verse (7) ;

Surah Al-Fatiha (The Opening).
      In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful (1)
      Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds, (2) The Beneficent, the Merciful. (3) Owner of the Day of Judgment, (4) Thee (alone) we worship; Thee (alone) we ask for help. (5) Show us the straight path, (6) The path of those whom Thou hast favoured. Not (the path) of those who earn Thine anger nor of those who go astray. (7). Amen.

December 23, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  9. Nigel Walton

Our God has been so good to us because we have been seending missonaries to those countries such as Ethopia and Chnia.I am very blessed to have a God that has died on the cross for me.I will refute hese accusations even though I am a different person.

December 20, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
    • Thinkster

Which God is that Nigel – there are so many – could it be that none of them exist, especially since your ideas of God don't work at all in the modern world?

I look at all the hatred and pain in our world – I could never accept a God that would allow that – a God that would condemn children to eternal torture the moment they are born – serial killers, rapists, and all types of recidivists – NO – I would never accept that kind of Diety. You'll have to try again – except – you've been trying for milennia and have yet to find anytthing – you're an athiest like me – you need to reject that last God and free yourself – as I have.

I take responsibility for my actions, and I'm much better for it – I don't blame anything for what I do – I did it, and that's all there is. Nothing else.

I refuse to share your nightmare – have your bad dreams alone, I don't need or want them.

December 21, 2011 at 5:37 am |
    • Roo

"I am very blessed to have a God that has died on the cross for me."- Why would you consider such a thing a blessing? Why would a god choose the method of human sacrifice, a disgusting practice common in ancient civilizations, to reconcile mankind to himself? Why would he not have simply forgave if he was all powerful? Nothing would prevent him from doing so, and it wouldn't be impossible for him to do so if he had the power to do anything, yet he chose an act of ancient ritual barbarianism as the symbol for love? The traces of ancient thinking are well apparent in the bible because it is literature based on an ancient culture. There is no reason to believe such stories as fact.

December 24, 2011 at 2:09 am |
  10. JJArise

Some want prophecy! Some want signs! Behold the imminent fulfillment of the prophecies of Isaiah 17 and Amos 1 regarding Damascus. "Then behold, at eventide trouble! And before the morning, he is no more." Then shall some believe. But some shall harden their hearts as Pharaoh did when he would not heed the LORD God's messengers Moses and Aaron to let God's Chosen people go. The LORD God is a loving God who loves His creations with longsuffering and patience. He wants His creations to turn from evil and amend their ways. He wants your heart and acknowledgment that He is your Creator and Heavenly Father. Love Him with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind. Just like an earthly father disciplines his children, when His creations turn their hearts and minds against Him, He must execute judgment. He is holy, just, and righteous. Give Him your heart and watch Him transform you. Then you shall become a child of the LORD God Almighty!

December 20, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
    • tallulah13

Nope. Still no prophesy. Just a fanatic reciting an old book. "A" for effort, though.

December 20, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
    • Thinkster

Enjoy your nightmare – dream on.

December 21, 2011 at 5:37 am |
    • rick

I agree. "A" for effort

December 21, 2011 at 7:35 am |
  11. JJArise

The LORD your God is the one true God who created all to include you. You would not be or have without Him who created you and all creations. To Be: You exist because he breathed into you the breath of life. To Have: You have blessings (spouse, children, possessions, job, etc,) beyond that God-given breath and you shall give thanks to Him. The Lord your God is a jealous god and commands you to put no other gods or idols before Him. Love the LORD your God with all of your heart above anyone or anything and accept His son Jesus Christ as your Savior. Jesus knocks on the door to your heart. Will you let Him in? Seek first the things of Heaven for this is a vanishing world! Do you not see the signs before you?!!! This age is ending and a new one will begin where all the children of God who are, have been, or will be will live forever in His glory. AWAKEN, ARISE, AND BEHOLD! OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST COMES QUICKLY AND HE SHALL BE LORD OF LORDS AND KING OF KINGS!

December 20, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
    • Madtown

The Lord your God is a jealous god
      -----
      Jealousy is a human emotion. Why would you ascribe a fallible, human characteristic to a supreme being that has done all the other supreme things you describe? God is not jealous, any more than you're a candidate for the Mensa Society.

December 21, 2011 at 10:32 am |
  12. none

Uncouth Swain

It leads to the question of what people would do if they were given knowledge of the divine. What would take precedence in each individual?

December 20, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

That's the thing about faith...it's more of an individual than a mass oriented thing.

December 21, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
  13. M.F. Luder

Hitchling: n. A child devoid of religious indoctrination, who is encouraged to read broadly and seek the truth un-apologetically.

December 20, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
    • gahh

that's ludercrous.

December 20, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
    • Real America

An atheist and an unashamed drunk?

December 20, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Fundies and Hitchlings..... Ying and Yangs.... 🙂

December 21, 2011 at 1:33 am |
  14. Miss Lizzie

The world is never going to agree on whether or not there is a God nor which god is the correct one. I'm a Christian and proud of that fact. However, I don't mind if you don't believe. That's on you and I am certain you have your reasons. However, I have my own reasons to believe and nothing you say or do will change that fact. 🙂

December 20, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
    • Keith

Eze 3:18 When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked [man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

Eze 3:19 Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.

Eze 3:20 Again, When a righteous [man] doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

December 20, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • Keith

Miss Lizzie, Tough stuff, isn't it? Then again, Christ never said following Him would be easy. We are obligated to reach out to these lost people. Good hunting.

December 20, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • To Miss Lizzie

Agreed, as long as you have a brilliant plan for keeping your religion (and all others) out of politics.

December 20, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
    • Snow

Proverbs 20:20 – If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness.

Leviticus 20:9 – All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense.

Exodus 22:19 – Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be killed.

Leviticus 24:10-16Any Israelite or foreigner among you who blasphemes the LORD's name will surely die.

Personally, insisting the non-believers and foreigners also to show the same respect as the followers is kinda egotistic and megalomaniac'ish..

December 20, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Snow

@Keith.. is that the "word" of god (or fear) you want be spread around?

December 20, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • Seriously?

Hey, Keith the self-righteous sadist is in the house.

December 20, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • Madtown

We are obligated to reach out to these lost people.
      ---–
      How's that? I don't know the verse, but the bible specifically mentions that when you pray, pray behind your closed doors so no one can get a false impression of you, and your words are directed toward God. Something like that. And, why do you assume those that don't follow your religious persuasion are "lost"? What about the fact that others of differing religious persuasions think that YOU are lost? A little silly, isn't it?

December 20, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Keith is a fraud.

December 20, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
  15. Marks from Middle River

I wonder if this is just the Atheist noisemakers declaring that only their rhetoric is is Bach.

The problem will always be that both arguments are attempting to prove something that can not be proved one way or the other. So each side wants to declare their belief to be verified because the other side can not prove their belief. At the same time not offering anything higher than to say they either believe in God or Gods or they do not.

Come on dudes and dudettes....... This is the Belief Blog....stop thinking that other sides have never heard your arguments and stop thinking that they do not have a preexisting counter.

But go right ahead..... Continue to perform. They will continue to post articles such as this and we will all continue to dance.

"Muslims are more Religious"

"Memorial to famed Atheist from his Christian friend"  , and now listing Christianity is the largest Faith on the planet ?!? This is news? They have been reporting that for decades now and on previous articles here on the Belief Blog.

If you take a step back folks and come out of your fighting stances of trying to rehash the same argument that was argued before we were born and will be after we are long gone. Have you ever wonder what are the motives to publish more and more articles such as these? Folks have declared that one side are not freethinkers but really after all these months few of us have posted anything truly original, with text conveying arguments that have just been said before.

Right now on this thread it is talk that comes to nothing.

December 20, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
    • SoWhat

"Right now on this thread it is talk that comes to nothing. "

Instead of whining give a solution.

December 20, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
    • Louisa ferre

Dude, “dudette" is not a word dude, dude is a gender neutral word, dude.
      Next time you like think about using dude, dude remember this song dude
      [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKYXmjfQY4U&w=640&h=360]

but your right they are fighting over a belief its kind of fun to watch i do enjoy a good conflict

December 20, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>"Instead of whining give a solution."

December 21, 2011 at 1:41 am |
    • HellBent

"The solution is the hope folks will move away from just screaming at each other thinking that either side is going to crumble and notice that the Blog is often purposely setting up articles to get folks at each others throats."

You clearly have NO IDEA what you're talking about! If you can't see the complete ridiculousness of your position than there's clearly no hope for you you worthless troll!!!!

Oh, wait...

December 21, 2011 at 1:45 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Don't worry, if you can not understand peace and tolerance than a post like mine would confuse you. 🙂

December 22, 2011 at 6:03 am |
  16. Edison

I realize Christianity can go to the extremes but it's the same with any religion. Overall, I find christians more accepting than Muslims or Jews. I'm agnostic but I have no problem with this.

December 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
    • Thinkster

Since when – christians are the most bigoted and worthless bunch of theists there are – they are haters and liars, and now they are trying to claim everything for thier nightmare, and force the rest of us to bend a knee or be sent to jail or worse. The dark ages are on the doorstep – you shoud rethink your position, before we are all burned at the stake!

December 21, 2011 at 5:41 am |
    • Uncouth Swain

@Thinkster- You are sooo talking out of your @ss

December 21, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
  17. Seriously?

@George
    Come on George...just waiting for a new page of posts to start doesn't get you off the hook...

"So now it's Iron Age morality? Yesterday, it was Bronze Age morality. I wish you'd get your story straight."

Since you obviously don't have a calendar George, let me make it clear...Old Testament = Bronze Age / New Testament = Iron Age...try to keep up.

Your cowardly obfuscation is obvious George and confirms that, simply because your dogma says so and you refuse to think for yourself, you accept that slavery "has it's place". You're not only a fool George, but an immoral fool. Shame on you.

December 20, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  18. Bob

George, Abinadi, Keith, et al, time to yank you back from your dodging again. Put up your evidence: what really is your evidence that supports the existence of the nasty sky fairy that you so vociferously and frequently post about here? So far, no one has ever presented any evidence for the Christian divinity that stands up to examination.

Keyword there for you Christian noisemakers to focus on is divinity. Prove it or shove it.

For that matter, why did your sky fairy create the world to make it look like he didn't do so, and why did he make it so hard (impossible, actually) to find evidence of himself?

Your whole Christian religion looks to be a giant belief pyramid scheme, a successful but evil and insidious meme that propagates and supports itself but has no footing in evidence, nor in reason. I'm here to tell you that your religion emperor has no clothes.

December 20, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • Keith

Jhn 1:1 ¶ In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Jhn 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.

Jhn 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Jhn 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Jhn 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

December 20, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
    • Eric G

@Keith: "It began with the forging of the Rings of Power. Three were given to the Elves; immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven, to the Dwarf Lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of Men, who above all else desire power. For within these rings was bound the strength and the will to govern over each race. But they were all of them deceived."

Which statement has better evidencial support?

December 20, 2011 at 9:17 pm |
    • Real America

"Keyword there for you Christian noisemakers to focus on is divinity." Divinity is a sort of conglomerate of soft white candy with pecans. Really sweet.

December 20, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
    • tallulah13

Not terribly fond of divinity. Nor fudge, either. A really good home-made candy is caramel. My mom made the best, but when she died, no one could find the recipe. Now it belongs to the ages.

December 21, 2011 at 3:02 am |
  19. Madtown

George
    @HotAir
    The person who would deny God.
    -----
    By disowning your own son because he is gay, you are denying God. God created your son, and created him gay. By not accepting your son, you are not accepting the creation and will of God.

December 20, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
    • Rick

George's son is gay? That would explain the hostility....

December 21, 2011 at 5:41 am |
  20. George

Atheists so want that there is no God that they will fill up page after page of argument against God and against believers. They know that if there is a God, they will have to take responsibility for their sins and immorality. You can yell and scream all you want but your day of reckoning will come. Don't blame believers if you find yourselves burning in hell. We have gone out of our way to try to set you straight. But as predicted in the Bible, you have hardened your hearts.

December 20, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • ThinkForYourself

Atheists use logic. We fill up page after page because you either refuse to answer questions or make claims like 'the theory of relativity has no practical application' which is so obviously false that we feel the need to respond.

December 20, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Who has the harder heart – a parent who would disown their own son because he is gay, or a person who looks at the evidence for god and, rightfully, sees none?

December 20, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
    • George

@HotAir

The person who would deny God.

December 20, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
    • Mario Chávez

Sorry, George, but there is no god: no Christian god, no Muslim god, no god of any kind. How do I know? If there were a god, why does he communicate only to a few illiterate chosen? Why have miracles and prophecies reduced in number over the last centuries? Do you call a toast that looks like Jesus a miracle? Come on, what are we, 6 year olds?

Number two: where is the proof that any religious belief automatically makes you free of sin (whatever) and immorality? Where is the proof that religious people are more moral anyway? Sorry, but inspiration, the holy ghost and answered prayers are subjective expressions. If you go to some remote area in Bolivia, Peru or Brazil, would you just drink water from the tap or eat food sold on the streets, or would you buy a bottle of water and eat at restaurants instead? Where is your so-called faith?

If I asked you to believe in the reality of a man who comes every year to give a present to every child in the world, would you believe it? What? You don't believe in Santa? He can be everywhere on Christmas Eve, in millions of houses around the world. He flies a speedy sleigh, with a capacity for hundreds of thousands of items. You still don't believe me?

December 20, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
    • HotAirAce

George, once again you have perfectly demonstrated how sick you and your religion are. Please seek the help of a mental health professional.

December 20, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • evolvedDNA

George .. we already take responsibility for our actions..we do not think it is a god or devil driving our actions. I would argue it is more important for you to believe god is real, as with out him you think you may turn " postal" you will not of course but is central to your belief. . We also will not burn in hell ..who do you know has ever come back from "heaven" or" hell" to tell you what is going on. Fear is the usual catholic and Muslim way of forcing you to believe..I would hazard a guess your folks scared you into believing as child, and it was very successful. Enjoy life, be happy and think....and enjoy what evolution and 4 billion years has done for you..

December 20, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • Madtown

I believe fully in God, just not the human-created traditions of organized religions. I don't believe the organized religions have the answers that they claim to. I don't believe in hell. I don't believe a loving God would send his creations to "burn for eternity" for the "sin" of using the mind that he gave us, and for using it analytically as he designed it. In other words, to question and be skeptical of things for which there is no concrete evidence, is precisely the way God designed our minds to function, and thus there's no way it could be a sin to question the man-made tenants of religion.

December 20, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • Huh?

"Don't blame believers if you find yourselves burning in hell. "

Thanks for continuing to prove your god is a MONSTER and a tyrant. If you don't believe and love me then you will burn, guess where Hitler got the idea...YOUR GOD! We all know Hitler was a monster, now we've shown yours is too. 😉

December 20, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
    • Bob

George, look up a few posts. You've been yanked. Hard.

December 20, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@Mario Chávez- You didn't actually give any evidence you know.
      "why does he communicate only to a few illiterate chosen?"
      That isn't evidence, it's a question based on faulty info.

"Why have miracles and prophecies reduced in number over the last centuries?"
      Do you feel that questions equal evidence? Anyway, what you feel is a miracle really isn't relevant to whether their is a divine being or not.

Sadly, you gave no evidence at all.

December 20, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • walkingslow

Ahh, yes, America... land of 247 Million idiots like George.

@George
      You should try reading about Jesus and his teaching a little before you start throwing your verbal stones at Atheist and Agnostics. It’s pretty good stuff, basically everything Buddha taught 600 years earlier… Hmm makes you wonder doesn’t it Georgie boy? How many people has your religion killed George? Is it nice knowing you’re fellow Christian leaders are hypocrites Georgie boy?

December 20, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
    • Louisa ferre

Funny you should say that actually some believe Jesus was(a) Buddha. There was no recorded incarnation of Buddha at the time,… maybe he was just to indoctrinated

December 20, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
    • Snow

You are totally and utterly wrong, as usual, George!

December 20, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • Keith

evolvedDNA, Here's someone who's been there:Luk 16:19 ¶ There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

Luk 16:20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

Luk 16:21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

Luk 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

Luk 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Luk 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

Luk 16:25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

Luk 16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that [would come] from thence.

Luk 16:27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

Luk 16:28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

Luk 16:29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

Luk 16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

December 20, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I would respectfully suggest that those who are tempted to respond to George simply stop feeding the troll. George is a liberal masquerading to elicit a reaction to the ridiculous nonsense the far right conservatives are proposing. He doesn't believe any of it. Whenever I have challenged him on this, he fails to respond. I believe he's posting the most absurd extremes BECAUSE he wants people to react to the complete craziness of them. Not because he believes anything remotely close to them.

He is simply a troll. Feeding him by responding negatively will be counterproductive. Ignoring him will be far more frustrating for him; so much so that he'll probably change his moniker and message, or simply troll on some other silly forum.

December 20, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

Keith... so thats why religions are always asking for money ..to keep the gas on in hell ? So your god allows a scab and pustule ridden tramp to decompose in front of a rich guy so that he can teach charity..and adds a few dogs into the mix for effect. The story comes from the bible and has no more validity than flying broom sticks in Harry Potter. please if this was at all real you would have had more than just this guy slip out from the net by know.

December 20, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
    • Snow

Yep.. Abraham is a great guy.. Modal citizen.. down to the fact that he heard voices in his head and was ready to kill his own son..

Also, how can we forget such great verse about this great man.. all those great things.. *sniff..

And Abraham said... She is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife. – Genesis 20:11,12

December 20, 2011 at 7:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Notice that as soon as I posted my suggestion, George disappeared. As he always does. He doesn't even bother to refute the accusations. Silence equals consent. George isn't really a conservative at all. He's a troll.

December 20, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
    • Sonora

I tried to tell you guys a long time ago. I've tried many times. You don't listen about trolls because you are one of those people that has to figure it out on your own or have it all spelled out for you. George, fred, keith, ca, mark, uncouth, lycidas, etc are not worth talking to. I'm not saying they're all the same person, but they all suck as people whoever they are. The idea is to identify posts worth bothering with. Hardly anyone looks at these comments, so there is no need to respond to nasty little sh!ts.

December 20, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
    • Thinkster

December 21, 2011 at 5:10 am |
    • Rick

Georgie Boy: Your god is a petty vindictive punk. That is why you take such comfort in him

December 21, 2011 at 5:45 am |
    • Uncouth Swain

"I'm laughfing at you foolish people – which God are you talking about – there are so many!"

Live up to your username Thinkster...the topic is on Christianity. Now think really really hard.

December 21, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • Muneef

E.DNA.
      Kindly check verse 20 tells it all;

36 Surah Ya-Seen
      And there came from the uttermost part of the city a man running. He cried: O my people! Follow those who have been sent! (20) Follow those who ask of you no fee, and who are rightly guided. (21) For what cause should I not serve Him Who hath created me, and unto Whom ye will be brought back? (22) Shall I take (other) gods in place of Him when, if the Beneficent should wish me any harm, their intercession will avail me naught, nor can they save? (23) Then truly I should be in error manifest. (24) Lo! I have believed in your Lord, so hear me! (25) It was said (unto him): Enter paradise. He said: Would that my people knew (26) With what (munificence) my Lord hath pardoned me and made me of the honoured ones! (27).

December 23, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • Roo

Why do you assume only one exist if you open the possibility to the existence of a deity? If you believe one exist, how would you know there aren't more? You wouldn't be able to disprove that because there isn't even any evidence for the one you do believe exist. It is all dependent on faith. The bible's depiction of "god" is a molding and merging of ancient deities from earlier cultures, it isn't even based on independent attributes. Many of gods concepts in the bible arose out of earlier polytheism that predate it, since monotheism is a newer occurrence in history of man.

December 24, 2011 at 2:23 am |