home
RSS
December 27th, 2011

Reward offered for fugitive pastor

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN) – A pastor on the lam from Las Vegas now has a price on his head.

Otis Holland, the 55-year-old former pastor of United Faith Church, skipped court appearances and has been missing for a year.  He was accused of sexually assaulting teenage congregants, CNN affiliate KLAS reported.

A $10,000 reward has been offered for information about the former pastor.

Christine Shea, owner of Bad Girl Bail Bonds, told KLAS that Holland skipped court appearances after she posted $30,000 to get him out of jail.

CNN's Belief Blog – all the faith angles to the day's top stories

"I have guilt that I helped get him back out on the streets," she told KLAS.

KLAS reported that Holland was arrested in December 2010 and in January amid allegations that he abused congregants who were as young as 7 years old.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Church • Crime

« Previous entry
  1. Scott

So this male preacher is known as a "bad girl"?

Aren't they all?

January 7, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  2. inkydj4

OK Ben,you seem to be a decent person so I will respect you viewpoint,but I will leave you with this final point of view.If a parent told his child,,you are my creation and I love you,next week I'm going to take you to the ballpark,the movies,you can have anything you want to buy,we will do whatever you want,BUT first I'm going to beat you to a pulp and when you recover I will beat youi again,and then you going to stay outside in the freezing cold with no clothing,no food for a whole week,but I really do love you my child so, if you survive,boy ,we'll have a great time next week.Now,if you knew a parent like that,you would call him cruel,demented,insane,he should be locked up,AND yet,,these are the very same actions that god is guilty of,but aparrently that's ok.Bottom line,There is no god,but if you want to believe then he is responsible.

December 30, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • kenrick benjamin

inkydj4 the problem is you are blaming God when you should be blaming man, man is the one doing these things to each other, the reason why God gives us laws in the first place to live by is because its required, there wouldn't be any universe for us to live in if there weren't laws. The problem is man's injustice to Man. Man was given free well one of the differences mention before with an option at perfection, while Angels are perfect and has to do the well of God. Man cannot ask for a better deal if only not for man's injustice to man.

December 31, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • kenrick benjamin

inkydj4 for example when Cain killed Abel, God did not kill Cain.

December 31, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
    • kenrick Benjamin

I mean free will not free well.

January 1, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  3. inkydj4

So Ben,So llike the bible says,in the begining there was nothing.Now,god had a choice,he could leave things as they were,no one living to suffer injustice,pain,sorrow of any kind.But instead he chose to create this faulty plan of his.So,he made the cruelest choice of the two.Now,Ben,I appreciate the fact that you at least are not afraid to voice your view,but instead of quoting the bible,how about giving me some justification for god's bad choices.

December 30, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
    • Kenrick Benjamin

It is not a bad Choice here is my interpertation, you see God could have created someone perfect on Earth, but then that would have been like the Angels he created, so there was a difference when he created Man. Adam and Eve was not perfect, they were working towards perfection, that is why it is written that God looked at everything and saw that it was good not Perfect. when they eat of the fruit they were asked not to eat of. As a result death was introduce. Reason being is because the Universe is govern by laws and when they are broken they are consequences. Laws is a result of everything, without laws the wouldn't be anything. God know that his laws(commandments) just like the first commandment would be broken and that people would do all manner of things and use death as an escape, Hitler For example. Jesus came to redeem man of his sins because before Jesus all went to Hell. That's why it is written that when Jesus die he went to Hell and freed all the righteous. Today Man has a option of going to Heaven. This is My take not with standing the devil. Of course I cannot get into everything due to time constraints

December 30, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  4. inkydj4

Ben,
    you have got to be kidding me.Jack the Ripper,Hitler,child rapist,3 year old kids who have suffered every day of their young lives with some uncurable sickness,I could go on and on. In your eyes this is all good,and god shares no blame.Incredible logic.You need to come up with something better than that.

December 30, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • Kenrick Benjamin

inkydj4 you see we all question God when these things happen, however the Bible tells you that the sins of the father will visit the first, second, third and fourth generation. When we do things and we tend to think that once we die that's it. It is not my way but Gods way.

December 30, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
  5. inkydj4

What happened,where is everybody.I guess the true believers have no logical answer to my question.Wow,that was easy,I expected a much longer debate than that.

December 30, 2011 at 8:01 am |
  6. Tor Jacz

Once he is captured,he must be beheaded publicly....like we did in middle east.

December 29, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  7. Bill

So, fred, you lack the courage to answer the question. All you have done is try to change the subject, repeatedly. You spineless coward.

December 29, 2011 at 10:01 am |
  8. inkydj4

VIKI,so god gave man free will,and when man almost immediately started harming each other,thereby proving that gods plan had some serious flaws,god was not responsibel to fix his mistake? That's like an engineer that designs a robot that has a flaw and starts killing everybody,and the engineer say's,hey that's not my problem.

December 29, 2011 at 8:34 am |
    • Kenrick Benjamin

Inkydj4 the Bible tells you that after God created the things with in the Earth he saw that it was GOOD Not PERFECT.

December 30, 2011 at 9:50 am |
  9. inkydj4

Chad,So you are saying that because god is sovereign,he has the right to be insane ,cruel beyond belief? I'm really glad you explained that to me,now i understand whi I see all the injustice in this world.Everyone needs to act like a christian except god.

December 29, 2011 at 7:59 am |
  10. riddleyouthat

priest on the run. priest on the run.

The jailer man and Sailor Sam were searching everywhere for that

priest on the run

So how come that big guy up there can't do a better job of controlling his sales team??

December 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
    • An inconvenient truth

Not everyone who says they are on the team are on the team. This one might be on your team.

December 29, 2011 at 10:12 am |
    • Lysistrata

Yes, I am sure he is not a true Scotsman, uh, Christian

December 29, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
  11. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer really changes things

December 28, 2011 at 7:40 pm |
    • riddleyouthat

uh right we just can't see how.

December 28, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer really changes things
      We do not need to "see" how it is enough to accept who we are talking to.

December 29, 2011 at 10:09 am |
    • Religion is a delusional reconstruction of reality

So Not Healthy, you not only do not need evidence of God's existence, you also don't need results either? No evidence, no results from your prayer, and you still are sure your particular choice of God is true?

Wow. I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Great price.

December 29, 2011 at 7:40 pm |
  12. Mad The Swine

Put all pastors in prison.

December 28, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  13. Whatever

They should probably start digging up the area. If the man was preying on teenage girls, a Daddy or two probably planted his worthless tail in the ground. lol

December 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  14. Carpenter

This always happens when a man preaches the gospel in exchange of money.They preach only in their lips but there heart is far from God....if that will be the case...a female mostly the young ones is always a prey to the maniac church leaders.It always happens in Roman Catholic church.Thanks God I give up that church when I was 17 years old.

December 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • brick

Ummmm, Im sorry but your statement makes no sense. This happened at a protestant church. Also, this doesn't always happen because it didn't happen to me or any other person I went to School or Church with. I went to Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic School (now St Peter Claver) in Atlanta, Ga. (really Decatur). Not all priests want to harm children. Actually, the ratio of abuse to actual membership is about the same as the national average for all abuse cases. Meaning there are just as many pedophiles at your job, school, neighborhood, etc as in the Church.

December 28, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Ogre

"there are just as many pedophiles at your job, school, neighborhood, etc as in the Church."

So the church and its clergy are just average then? I am always told that they are blessed and special 'n stuff like that...

December 28, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  15. SlowGun

He'll be the new defensive coordinator at Penn State.
    Heard he is going to run the pervert, opps, I mean prevent defense. Which is very good at stopping tigh-ends.

December 28, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • wootdude

That's just wrong, funny, but wrong!

December 28, 2011 at 9:59 pm |
  16. ma & pa

We'll read more as we have time. writingmomma at 9:52 says it. God lives within and around those who humbly and truly seek to be His people. God knows his flock without the world's say-so. His Word and judgment is above all squabbling groups. Get rid of the ego, be kind to one another.

December 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • Bob Jones

I don't agree with anything you said about your magical sky fairy, but I do agree with dropping the ego and just being nice to one another.
      We're all on this planet together, why not get along?

December 29, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  17. Vicki

Wow. It saddens me to see all the hatred on these posts. God gave humans free will. He doesnt control everything we do. We DECIDE what to do, and ideally it's within the standards set in the bible. As humans, WE make those decisions to molest or kill, NOT God. Furthermore, investigate science. There has been mounds of evidence found in the last decade or so that substantiate certain bible stories to be true. AND for those of you who want proof, we cannot provide that other than our testimony. We are not Jesus so no miracles. We know he's real because of our own personal lives & experiences, he's mysterious & doesnt reveal himself like in Old Testimate times anymore. I can tell you many stories of how God has changed me & helped me. God is Holy & people are afraid of the Holy (similar to being fearful/intimidated/uncomfortable of people you perceive to be better than you, they naturally frighten us). We're not trying to force anything on you, we just want to save as many for Jesus as we can!!! (which is why were on earth by the way-that's our purpose on earth) Thanks

December 28, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • claybigsby

Man, life must be easy being brainwashed.

"There has been mounds of evidence found in the last decade or so that substantiate certain bible stories to be true"

Please post the "Mounds of Evidence" this should be good.

"AND for those of you who want proof, we cannot provide that other than our testimony. We are not Jesus so no miracles. We know he's real because of our own personal lives & experiences"

Ok using this logic, then because of my "personal experience" Santa and the Easter Bunny are real. Your speculation, and thats all it is, is not truth, its opinion. You KNOW he is real huh? What knowledge do you posses that I do not that makes you so smart as to know the answers to the "Big Questions" about our universe?

"I can tell you many stories of how God has changed me & helped me."

Name one time god came down and physically helped you accomplish something. Just because you talk to yourself and good things happen doesnt mean god had anything to do with it. give yourself some credit.

"We're not trying to force anything on you, we just want to save as many for Jesus as we can!!!"

LOL AKA "we are trying to indoctrinate you with our views so our religion can make more money and stay around longer."

Religion is a SCAM.

December 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • rick

"We DECIDE what to do, and ideally it's within the standards set in the bible"

How are Iron Age (if not older) standards applicable to the 21st century?

December 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • brick

@ claybigsby and rick: Religion is not a scam. Do you really understand what you are saying? You basically are saying that everybody who came to this world before you, shaped it, and thrived in it are all dumb. And you Aethiests are the only people who know the truth about life. Well that actually sounds like a religion to me.

December 28, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • now hear this yall

psssssst all religion actually is a scam. If god were real, he wouldn't need people praying to him and giving up their hard earned money to pay for church utilities and supporting some flock of ass-kissing priests.

December 28, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by brick is a form of the ad populism fallacy.

December 28, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
    • wootdude

@Vicki, I didn't know you guys worked on a commission. Do you get bonus points depending on the number of people you "save"?

December 28, 2011 at 9:58 pm |
    • Bob Jones

Where do I start?

How about "BAAAAAAAAAAA......" That's all I read from your post. Sheeple is what you are.
      Try thinking critically and outside of a book created to CONTROL humans BY humans.
      The bible is a book of fairytales, and it's meant to be a GUIDELINE to how to live your life, not the be all and end all. I'm not even religious and I know that.. but most nefarious, the bible is a social experiment, the most successful one in human history. What's the best way to control a large swath of people? Religion!

Religion relies on ignorance, both intellectual and emotional. If you fear, you don't think, you just react. The bible is full of fear. Fear of god, fear of hell, fear of judgement. Religion also dulls the sharpness of the human mind.
      When god is responsible for everything, good and bad, what need do you have of the real world? Why would you need to even think? Just blindly follow the path laid out for you. Nothing bad will happen, right? Right?

I dun need no lernin', I got god!

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to hate, but I genuinely see religious people as sheeple. Aimlessly wandering through life with no goals and no ambitions. No attempts to improve the human condition, no attempts to better themselves or those around them, just blind sheeple, following the wolf in shepards clothing to the slaughter.
      Have a good life!

December 29, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  18. Me

Check the Catholic churches. They have a pact with those who commit this type of evil.

December 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  19. MadCityBabe

this clow's penis should go bye bye

December 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  20. Christians should be stoned.

what is it with all the christian pedophiles?

December 28, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • brick

Honestly, that comment is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard. Like me saying whats up with all these bad teacher or all these radical muslims? When if you check the stats. Its actually like 1 percent of the total population of that group.

December 28, 2011 at 4:32 pm |