home
RSS
15 faith-based predictions for 2012
January 1st, 2012

15 faith-based predictions for 2012

To ring in the New Year, CNN's Belief Blog asked experts in religion, faith leaders, and a secular humanist about how the forces of faith and faithlessness will shape the world in 2012.

Here's what they told us:

1. The Republican Party will tap Mitt Romney as its presidential nominee, and America will finally have its "Mormon moment." As evangelicals try to figure out whether they can support a president who practices Mormonism, the rest of us will try to figure out whether Mormonism is a cult, a form of Christianity, or something in between. Meanwhile, visitors to Marriott hotels will finally crack open some of those nightstand copies of The Book of Mormon.
-Stephen Prothero, Boston University religion professor and regular CNN Belief Blog contributor

2. Despite all of the lessons that could have been learned from Y2K and Harold Camping, people will still rally around the idea that apocalyptic events are on the calendar for 2012. Some will turn to the end-date of the 5125-year-long cycle in the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar (closely associated with the Maya civilization) and a handful of folks believe cataclysmic events are awaiting on December 21, 2012. But the dates with will pass with little fanfare — except for those profiting from the sale of gold coins, generators, and dried food that you'd probably rather want to die than eat.
-Margaret Feinberg, author of "Hungry for God"

3. Continuing revolutions across the Arab world will raise alarming questions about the fate of the remaining Christians in the region, and will put the issue of religious persecution squarely on the political agenda. Sizable Christian populations now survive in only two Arab countries, Egypt and Syria, both of which could soon be under Islamist rule. At a minimum, expect to see inter-faith violence on the ground. In a worst case scenario, Arab Christians could face large scale persecution, forcing millions to seek new homes overseas. Watch too for religious persecution to be an emotive issue in the U.S. presidential race.
- Philip Jenkins, Penn State University professor and author of "Laying Down the Sword: Why We Can't Ignore the Bible's Violent Verses"

4. The year will see an increase in the number of people "coming out" as nonbelievers. Major events like the Reason Rally in March will be a catalyst for more people to publicly declare their secular worldview. The statements of popular celebrities George Takei and Ricky Gervais as atheists in 2011 are just the tip of the iceberg.
–Roy Speckhardt, executive director of the American Humanist Association

5. "All-American Muslim" will become a bigger hit than "Jersey Shore" ever was. Obsessed fans worldwide, regardless of gender, will begin rocking sassy colorful hijab (veil) and converting en masse. Tim Tebow will choose to fast in solidarity with Muslim football players and Tebowing will be replaced by Teprostrating. President Obama will jump on the bandwagon and replace VP Joe Biden with Keith Ellison as his running mate, guaranteeing his re-election in a landslide victory in November. Peace will reign on earth and pigs will have a new lease on life.
-Maysoon Zayid, comedian, actress and co-producer of the New York Arab American Comedy Festival

6. There's no question the worldview of most younger Christians already differs from previous generations regarding social justice, cultural engagement and politics. The next issue of probable divergence? The conflict in Israel and Palestine. The American church has largely purported just one theology about the modern state of Israel, but now questions are being asked - especially by younger Christians learning of persecution and human rights issues happening in the region - if the church should have a more active role in peacemaking. Is there a way for the Church to be pro-Israel, pro-Palestine and pro-peace?
–Cameron Strang, publisher of RELEVANT magazine

7. Significant numbers of millennials (young people born in the 1980s and 1990s) will continue to walk away from socially conservative religious traditions. Bringing them back will be tough, especially for religious organizations deeply invested in brick-and-mortar and bureaucracy. Millennials who are facing the erosion of access to affordable, quality education and meaningful employment and who stand to inherit from their elders a great deal of debt and environmental destruction want to know why and how faith matters.
-Joanna Brooks, Mormon author and columnist for Religion Dispatches

8. The year 2012 promises to be a time of great spiritual stirring in our nation. People are seeking both practical and spiritual answers to their problems. As a result, churches and media ministries that answer specific needs will grow in unprecedented numbers. We can expect to see the numbers of mega-churches and super mega-churches continue to grow. Culturally there will be marked return to helping the poor (both domestically and internationally) and political and social engagement by a younger/more racially diverse, evangelical people.
–Harry R. Jackson Jr., senior pastor, Hope Christian Church and president of the High Impact Leadership Coalition

9. Sabbath becomes trendy! Fourth Commandment makes a comeback! Sabbath named Time’s person of the year! A new movement sweeps the country. They call themselves 24/6. Worn out by being tethered to the grid 24/7, sick of being accessible all hours of the day, inundated by updates, upgrades, and breaking news, Americans finally rebel, demanding, “We need a day off.” People all over the country go offline for 24 hours every week. The simple break from the frenetic pace results in lowered cholesterol rates, fewer speeding tickets, and a reduction in marital strife. Peace, tranquility and contentment spread like wildfire.
–Jamie Korngold, rabbi and author of "The God Upgrade"

10. Women in the Middle East and around the world will rally in protest about the woman who was beaten, stomped on and stripped down to her blue bra (under her abaya) during a demonstration in Egypt. Women everywhere who have been oppressed by their religions will rise up, as they have already done in Egypt, to join "The Blue Bra Revolution." We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore.
–Sally Quinn, founder and editor-in-chief of Washington Post's “On Faith”

11.“Occu-pew Church" – a movement away from counterfeit "Church-ianity," cult of personality and religion toward authentic grassroots personal faith, based on living and loving like Jesus. More churches will lose the moat dragon mentality, lower the drawbridge and dispatch members beyond the church service to church SERVICE, applying their faith in the community through volunteerism and outreach. A renewed global emphasis on prayer - especially for peace and reconciliation - as individuals and leaders recognize that personal spiritual peace in one's heart provides the only lasting foundation for physical peace among families, friends, neighbors - even nations
–A. Larry Ross, Christian communications executive representing clients like Billy Graham and Rick Warren

12. Hindu Americans will continue to become better advocates for themselves, particularly in the public policy arena. They will play a larger role in defining the manner in which Hinduism is represented in the media, academia, popular culture, and interfaith dialogue. The acknowledgment of the Hindu roots of yoga will continue to spread with more people seeing the connection. And the Hindu ethos of religious pluralism will take on a more prominent role in nurturing not only tolerance, but respect for and between the world's religions.
–Sheetal Shah, senior director of the Hindu American Foundation

13. In 2012 the lines between the sacred and the profane will get even more blurry: Scientists will religiously maintain their search for the elusive God particle (they won't find it); evangelical sports superhero and Denver Bronco quarterback Tim Tebow will continue to be both an inspiration to the faithful and an object of scorn to skeptics (he will be watching, not playing in, the Super Bowl); at least one well-known religious leader or leading religious politician will be brought down by a sex scandal (let's hope all our leaders have learned a lesson from former Rep. Anthony Weiner and stay away from sexting); and the "nones" - those who don't identify with one religion - will grow even more numerous and find religious meanings in unexpected places (what TV show will become this season's "Lost"?)
–Gary M. Laderman, chairman of Emory University’s religion department and  director of  Religion Dispatches

14. America’s evangelical community will have its hands full addressing both a presidential election and offering a biblical response to “end of days” Mayan prophecies surrounding 2012. With the economy emerging as the primary issue for the November election, America’s born-again community will have an opportunity to contextualize an alternative narrative to the polarizing elements from both the right and the left by reconciling the righteousness message of Billy Graham with the justice platform of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. By offering compassionate, truth-filled solutions and focusing on the message of grace, love, reconciliation and healing, evangelicals will demonstrate that the greatest agenda stems neither from the donkey nor the elephant but rather from the lamb.
- Rev. Samuel Rodriguez, president of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference

15. We are seeing the divide between younger generation evangelicals and older generation (baby boom and older) get wider every year both theologically and culturally (lifestyle). 2012 promises to widen the gap even more with Gen X and younger evangelicals having trouble understanding why the traditional lines make sense and/or just outright rejecting those lines.
–Mark Tauber, publisher at HarperOne

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Christianity • Hinduism • Islam

soundoff (2,166 Responses)
  1. PiemielaPek

This is the best website because everything is clear and accurate. abbyylingvo or abbyy lingvo

June 6, 2012 at 6:15 am |
  2. Julia Orayen

I'm really inspired with your writing skills as well as with the format to your weblog. Is that this a paid theme or did you customize it your self? Anyway stay up the nice high quality writing, it is rare to see a nice weblog like this one these days..

May 9, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
  3. best water softener consumer reports

A person necessarily lend a hand to make significantly posts I would state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I amazed with the research you made to create this particular put up amazing. Fantastic job!

April 20, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
  4. Islamic Meditation

Your style is so unique in comparison to other people I have read stuff from. Thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I'll just bookmark this page.

April 18, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
  5. valtrex

I intended to compose you a bit of note in order to give many thanks again about the amazing advice you've contributed above. It's generous of people like you giving easily all a few individuals could have advertised as an e-book in making some bucks for their own end, and in particular considering that you could have done it if you considered necessary. The advice additionally acted as a easy way to be aware that many people have a similar desire just as mine to figure out a good deal more around this condition. Certainly there are a lot more enjoyable instances ahead for folks who browse through your blog.

March 31, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
  6. Golden Sun Loves All

I'm an atheist but I do believe religion is good for people, if it is not used in politics. Actual I do believe in a god, or should I say goddess. Mother nature is my god. She, without doubt, is the creator of everything, and she doesn't asked to be worship like other gods, just respected.

March 15, 2012 at 12:31 am |
    • Jenna K.

Luv it!!

March 18, 2012 at 11:20 pm |
  7. Ariel

Christ’s take; Stop ministering lies about my Father’s Word!

In the previous letter I mentioned that the church I attended back in 1997 received a visitation from God, and that during that visitation I witnessed the Crucifixion Isaiah saw in his day. Several times over a three month period beginning late February 1997, a prophecy was spoken unto the church. It came forth out of the wife of one of the board members of the church. The prophetic message said, ‘Pray for John, I am going to raise him up’. Outside the church, numerous prophecies were spoken unto me by the same lady; those prophecies testified of a new House that Christ said He was going to build, they testified of God’s anger towards the pastors, preachers, and teachers who minister His Word, they testified of seven sins that God saw in the hearts of those who minister His Word; greed, pride, control, unbelief, indecision, deception and jealously, and they testified that God called many but when they attained money and power through God they forsook God. When I began receiving those prophetic messages that I believed in my spirit were of God through His Son, the word of the Lord came unto me saying, ‘View each message being spoken unto you as a piece of a puzzle. Don’t seek for understanding in them at this time because I have not yet given you the knowledge of that which I have spoken unto you’. The last prophecy spoke unto me was this ‘I will no longer speak unto you through prophecy; I have given you all the pieces of the puzzle that I needed to give you. I have revealed unto you my Father’s plan; it’s time for you to seek my face to hear what my Spirit is saying in my Father’s Word’.

When the prophecy came forth to pray for John that God was going to raise him up, the pastor and congregation began praying for a man in the congregation who was ill at the time; this man was injured in a car accident many years earlier that left him paralyzed from the waist down. Based upon that prophecy, the pastor and congregation believed that this man was going to receive a divine healing and walk. While I would like to have seen a miracle like this appears, there was a conflict in my spirit about this prophecy. I believed in my spirit that the prophecy was of God, but didn’t believe in my heart that John was going to walk. The contradiction between what I felt in my spirit and what I believed in my heart left me believing that the church’s prayers unto God to raise John out of his wheelchair were vain. On the way home from church that Sunday evening, after partaking in the prayer for John that I didn’t believe God was going to answer, I told God that I felt the situation that took place in church that evening was silly. Early the following morning I received a phone call telling me that my stepson had been taken to the hospital; that he woke up in the middle of the night paralyzed down one half of his body. That was an awakening moment for me! Before going to the hospital I sought God to heal my stepson. The response I got back was this ‘the lad is in no pain. I took him down because you are not taking seriously that which I have spoken unto you. When you take seriously that which I have spoken unto thee I will bring the lad up’. Six weeks later my stepson walked out of the hospital and to this very day there is no evidence of Multiple Sclerosis which is what the hospital speculated may have happened.

The lady who prophesied in the church, and unto me, joined the church two years prior to God’s visitation. I began attending that church in 1991. When she joined the church God set it upon my spirit that He was going to reveal something unto me through her that would give me understanding in His purpose for the revelation He had given me in His Son between 1964 and 1971. I was a prisoner of the Cross for nearly twenty-seven years in the sense that the doctrines of the church I attended between 1964 and 1971 did not bear witness of the revelation I received from God in His Son during those years. Neither did the doctrines I received between 1991 and 1997 bear witness of Christ. I sought God many times to reveal unto me His purpose for the revelation He had given me in His Son because I couldn’t understand why the doctrines of the church did not bear the knowledge He had given me in His Son. God answered my supplication during His visitation. The Crucifixion I witnessed of God’s Spirit opened my understanding in the sins my pastor committed against God, and through that knowledge God delivered me from the bondage brought upon me between 1964 and 1971 through religious doctrines that did not bear witness to what God had revealed unto me during those years.

In May of 1997 I left the church and gave my heart unto seeking God for understanding in all the prophecies that I had heard and all the things I witnessed in the church during His visitation. A couple of weeks before I left, the word of the Lord came unto me saying, ‘When John goes up the pastor will go down’. My pastor’s lack of understanding in God’s Spirit was exposed in several closed door meeting between himself, the board members of the church, the lady through whom the Lord spoke, and me. Several of the prophecies spoken unto me were delivered unto the pastor through the mouth of the husband of the lady through whom the Lord spoke unto me through prophecy. The pastor mocked Christ through Sermons he preached on the premise of the prophecies spoken unto me. When he preached his understanding of the prophecies that testified Christ was going to build a new House he deceived the congregation by claiming that God had told him to build a new church. Several members of the church gave financial support for that project; one of the board members gave his entire saving which was never returned when the church was not built. The church was never built. When the Lord sent me before the pastor in a closed door meetings to ask him why he deceived the congregation he became extremely angry with me. That was not the only time the Lord sent me before the pastor, He took me before him a total of nine times; his anger towards me multiplied exceedingly.

A couple of days prior to hearing the prophecy that testified God saw seven sins in the heart of the priesthood, God had given me a vision of a heart that had seven things that looked like spikes sticking out of it. Two on the top on the right side of arch, two on the top of the left side of the arch, one on either side, and one out the bottom. When I heard the prophecy, I understood what I had seen. The day after the prophecy was spoken unto me, the husband of the lady through whom the prophecy was spoken ran into the pastor at the post office. When he got home he told his wife that the pastor had told him God had shown him that he had seven sins in his heart. There was no mistake that God’s Spirit was moving in the church; He spoke to several members of the church through signs, wonders, dreams and visions. The problem was the shepherd leading the flock did not know God’s Spirit therefore his theologies were based upon his own understanding which ultimately created a circus in the church. When he saw the problem he had created he didn’t know how to handle it, so he called in the head of the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada to clean up his mess. Two of the board who believed it was God’s Spirit moving in the church along with the pastor, met with the head of the POAC who dismissed the matter; fired the board members and left the pastor to continue in the church to this day.

God’s request unto the pastor and the congregation to seek Him in prayer to raise up John has been a fervent prayer of mine for seventeen years. The Book of Revelation is addressed unto the leaders of the churches. The revelations recorded in the book were given unto John by God through Christ who spoke unto the churches in the first three chapters of the book calling them to repent of their sins. The knowledge revealing what God’s Spirit is saying in the Book of Revelation bears the Testimony of Christ that God gave unto me between 1964 and 1971, and the revelation of the prophecies that His Son spoke unto me in 1997 was the foundation God laid upon which He opened my understanding in His Word.
    Today we are living in an era of self-fulfilled prophesies of the Book of Revelation. We are in a terrible mess! Everyone needs to pray to God to raise up John because when Christ fulfills on earth the testimony written in the Book of Revelation He will deliver God’s people out of the hard bondage brought upon them by wrongful translations of the book brought forth by those who claim to be God’s servants.

Revelations 20:12. And I saw the dead small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is called the book of life: and the dead were judged out of things which were written in the books, according to their works.

The dead small and great testify of the patriarchs, the major and minor Prophets, the disciples and Paul. The books they wrote are going to be opened which means God is going to bringing forth the knowledge of books called His Word. For the time is come that judgement must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? And IF THE RIGHTEOUS SCARCELY BE SAVED, WHERE SHALL THE UNGODLY AND THE SINNER APPEAR?, 1 Peter 4:17 and 18.

The churches theology that God keeps a set a books of all our deeds on earth and then judges us when are dead is absolutely insane. God’s House is a Divine House made without hands and is manifested through the truth the His Word revealed unto man through God’s Spirit by way of Christ Jesus. The scriptures testify that judgement begins at the House of the Lord. Peter understood the House of God dwelt within him through the knowledge he received from God through Christ by way of God’s Spirit, and that God was going to judge his works according to the knowledge He gave him through His Son. The Book of Life is Christ; his truths of His Father’s Word will reveal the books written by the prophets, the disciples and Paul. If the righteous who wrote the books are going to be judged when He returns what will be the judgement upon those who brought forth a false testimony of the books?

Genesis 1:8 and 9 testifies that God parted the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament, and that God called the dry land earth, and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas. God called the firmament Heaven. God is a Spirit revealed by His Word which is the waters above the firmament. The waters below the firmament testifies of the gods of man’s imagery. God parted the waters above the firmament from the waters below the firmament by revealing unto man the bondage caused by the foolishness of their imagery. Through delivering man out of their state of darkness (bondage) God revealed himself unto man and he called that union of the two waters Seas. The dry land he called earth testifies of man’s carnal state.

In Revelation 20:13 the scripture testify the Sea gave up the dead. The Sea is God’s Word; the dead speaks of ministers who have no understanding in God’s Word. The truth of God’s Word gives up the dead through revealing those who minister His Word have no understanding in His Word. Death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. Job 38:12 to 17: Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; and caused the dayspring to know his place. That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it? It is turned as clay to the seal; and they stand as a garment. And from the wicked their light is withholden, and the high arm shall be broken. Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? Or hast thou walked in search of the depth? Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? Or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death? There is a way that seemeth right unto a man; but the end thereof are the ways of death, Proverbs 16:25. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace, Romans 8:6. In these scriptures death speaks of a man’s spiritual state. Hell isn’t a fire beneath the earth. We are living in it through man being partakers of self-fulfilled prophecies. Look at what the churches theology of God’s Word has brought in the world, especially throughout the Middle East. The scriptures testify the dead are going to be cast into the lake of fire, testifying God is going to cause the dead to reap what they have sown. In Matthew 16:16 Christ said He would build His church and the gates of hell would not prevail against it. His church is the Spiritual House of God that dwelt within the patriarchs, the prophets, the disciples and Paul through the knowledge they received from God by way of His Spirit; and that knowledge bore the Testimony of His Son who is the True and Living Temple of God.
    There will be many, both inside and outside the church who will perceive this letter as an attack upon the church. Be not ye one of them. Think ye not that God knew the day He called man to be ministers unto Him that man who defiled His House? Yea, He spoke of it often in His Word. What saith the scriptures, many were called, few were chosen. Be ye not judges lest ye be judged; God is Judge over both the righteous and the unrighteous. In these latter days praise God for the truth of His Word; Seek ye Christ, and work out your salvation with fear and trembling for none shall escape God’s judgement not even the atheist, the scriptures testify every knee shall bow before God.

Being a minister unto God means seeking Him for understanding in His Word, and bringing that knowledge forth. I have made many sacrifices in my life unto God and have suffered many trials and tribulation in search of the wealth of God’s Kingdom which is the knowledge God gave me by way of His Son through His Spirit. When a man giveth his heart unto God he receiveth great wealth, the man’s desire is that God giveth unto His people that which has been given unto him for he knoweth that the richness of God is His Son, who giveth unto man the peace of God through which man prospers in the earth. The wealth that God has freely given unto me is freely being given unto you on the website God commanded me to build. I have never used God’s Word to financially prosper off of nor will that day come. The free will offering on the site is there because God instructed me to put it there and I will surely take the offerings of God’s people before God and do that which God’s commands of me. Your decision of whether or not to make that offering is between you and God. Your decision will not prevent you from freely receiving that which has been freely given unto me. Foreknowing that many will steal God’s Word from the website and try to financially prosper off His Word I ask that ye be watchful and not be taken by deceivers. Know this; there will be no marketing of God’s Word made by me in any form. I am not a merchant; I am a servant.

A few months after I received God’s call, which was in February 1997, a violent storm with high winds and heavy rainfall struck the community where I live. When I looked out my window I was surprised at what I saw. Garbage cans and several other items people keep outside their homes were being tossed around by the winds as though they were feathers. While thinking about what I was seeing, which was something unusual for my area, the Word of the Lord came unto me, saying, I am changing the weather. How does one relate to that? Quite simply I couldn’t. A few days later another storm arose. When I looked out my window I saw three small tornadoes coming from the east. They touched down before reaching the little village where I lived causing minor damage. Later that evening the Word of the Lord came unto me, saying, What meaneth these three tornadoes? I was shocked, then replied, Lord I don’t know, how could I. These three tornadoes saith the Lord, represent the Father, the Son and the Word, and when they make landfall there will be great destruction in the earth, but fear not that day, for that day must need come. From that day to this the weather has drastically changed; tornadoes bearing strong winds, heavy rainfall and hail are common occurrences of our times. And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail, Revelation 11:19.
    Shortly after God’s call, God set it upon my heart to pay attention to the President of the United States. When President George Bush Junior was elected President of the United Sates I wept. I felt in my spirit that he was going to do something that would wreak havoc in the earth, what I knew not. When he commanded a military strike on Iraq I felt in my heart that his decision was based upon his religious beliefs which he has recently acknowledged through saying he was on a mission from God when he launched the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq. When he took that stand he did not open the door for peace; he closed it, and today we have a Muslim religious regime who believes it is their duty unto God to fulfill the philosophies of a book written by a man who was as misguided in his religious beliefs as was/is President George Bush junior. Today, there are four candidates in the race to become the next President of the United States. Whoever sits in that seat in November will experience the strong hand of God. I believe that President Barrack Obama is the most likely of all the candidates to seek after the truth and righteousness of God.

Ariel
    Web-site address: http://www.theresurrection.ca
    E-mail address: info@theresrrection.ca

March 8, 2012 at 8:43 am |
  8. Genae

I do not care if someone believes or not. To tell you the truth, it does not matter to me. I believe in God, but that's it. I have muslim, jewish and christian people in my family and I am black and may have other races in my family tree as well. I am just so tired of seeing man against woman, young against old, black against white, christian against muslim against hindu against jews against...Just stop already! I love everyone on this world, even the people who shun and treat me as if I am the dirt beneath their feet. We are all here and we just have to get use to each other. I cry sometimes when I watch the news and see the hatred and the sickness that people have in their hearts. Let go of the past and get over selfish and hypocritical ideals. I may not be perfect, but I got enough sense to know everyone has a heart and can be hurt. So stop the foolishness.

February 5, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
  9. alsmeer1

only #3 & #14 are viable predictions.

@BJD.... yes the Word says, that the only way to God/heaven is thru believing in Jesus Christ. He is the Way the Truth and the Life. no one comes to the Father but thru Him. we were created by God and for Him alone.
    I will always give Him my praise. not out of fear of not going to heaven, but because of His Love and Grace and Mercy. He is due all the praise and glory. going to be w/Him in heaven is just an added benefit.

January 28, 2012 at 11:42 am |
  10. Edmund Raines

I will rip out my intestines with a plastic spork if any of these 'religious experts' can prove they have anything to do with this unseen, unobervable but somehow real creator of the universe and that he gives them insider info. You know? It really is that laughable except that it's' in my face everywhere I turn as though we're all to just swallow it as valid. How does this ooga-booga end up on a news website. The people who've made these 'astonishing' predictions should be required by law to give some publicly verifiable evidence of their mythological figure heads' existence or be forced to write an apology for deliberate deception of the people. What great, all powerful, original creative being would care who the sissy slap fight between Romney, Gingrich, Paul and Santorum?

January 19, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • periwinkle

Ummm.... They are really just looking at the news, trends, popular culture and social climate, they aren't claiming to have a "crystal ball".... lighten up!!!

January 24, 2012 at 2:24 am |
  11. Murray A Hobbis

If you take all the things that are happening globely, the trouble in the middle east russia and iran syria peace talks in Israel and Palistine, all the upheavel in the arab nations the earthquakes weather problems and turmoil with nations china and the beginning of the One World Order the fall of usa yellow race prophesies being fulfilled of 4,000,000 men army the earth going off its axis to say a little there is only one fact you can find this in the bible of what is about to happen Armaggedon.

January 17, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
  12. Murray A Hobbis

my remarks regard the 2012 perdiction of the mayan prophesy that this world will end. This is false. The truth is found in the propetic books of the Bible some to mention is Job 9;1-6 ( God moves the earth out of its place in his anger against man for his disobiedience as in the days of noah.) Matthew 24;29-30-31 God created all of this and there is much more to take place but it would be far better to accept Him now than have to go through what will happen after the seven years of God's Wrath on this earth. We pray that we would be accounted to escape all this that is yet to come

January 17, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
  13. Dwight Huth

I don't know about the world not ending. I was doing some calculations and realized that the following sequence is present.

Dec 21,1994 to Dec 21, 2012 = 18 years 18 / 3 = 6,6,6 or the perfect triangle of 3 60 degree angles or what some religious will say is the number of Satan.

add 12 (Dec) together and we get [b]3[/b], 2+1 = [b]3[/b] 1+9+9+4=23 or 5
    add 12 (Dec) together and we get [b]3[/b], 2+1 = [b]3[/b] 2+0+1+2= 5

See the numerical sequence that appears? Something is definately going to happen on Dec, 21st 2012.

January 12, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • Muneef

Very well only GOD knows what more could happen but for us in the Middle East we have every day some thing new happening since then to date... I just could hope for Jesus to return and bring us the promised peace and justice...Amen.

January 13, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
    • pattyo27

What's really scary is that people like you are taking time to perform these unfounded calculations. I highly doubt the Mayans had any concept of 666...ya know...since they weren't Christians...For those of you who are praying for the world to end, just do us all a favor and speed that process up on an individual basis. I love my world and I would never hope for it to end. If it does, it will be at our hands and then we will disperse into energy. What a waste of life.

January 14, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • Muneef

We have a saying that goes on as;
      Do for your living as if you will live for ever..and do for your after life as if you will die tomorrow...

Patt.
      Only those who live in luxury feel the way you feel but those suffering would rather feel the other way round...

January 15, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  14. Muneef

Just what the world needs, another Middle East conflict

January 12, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
  15. Muneef

Armageddon, World War III, Antichrist, And The Second Coming Of Jesus

Already Muslims have been mercilessly expelled from Palestine while Zionists in their bloodthirsty lust for land and power are not' satisfied with Palestine. In their arrogance they openly admit that they want all of Syria, all of Lebanon, all of Jordan in addition to Iraq, Iskenderun from Turkey, the Sinai, and the Delta area from Egypt and the upper Hejaz and Najd from Saudi Arabia. Yes, they even want the holy city of Medinah.

January 12, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • max

who wants what? nobody wants to own the mid east. its been tried before and is a recipe for chaos

January 13, 2012 at 10:33 am |
    • Muneef

Guess that what did the MidEasterns think of the crusaders (a receipt for chaos)... Isn't the Arabian Spring that was prepared for by the western IT intelligence and NGO's (a receipt for chaos)?!
      we might be on your menu just as had been America,South Africa,Australia,Palestine (Now Israel).!!

January 13, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • Baroda1234

This is the lie propagated by Muslims. There is violence by Muslims all over the world. What you say about it. Stop spreading lies. When suice bombers kill other muslims, it is the Americans and Jews who did this. This not Muslims, it is done by Israel. This is the propaganda spread by Muslims in the muslim world. Look at September 11. The muslim world says, the Americans did this themselves. What a nonsense!!!

January 15, 2012 at 8:59 am |
    • Muneef

Baroda...means in Arabic (a gunpowder) and means (a pistol)...

So as it seems another Hitler is reborn but this time chasing after Muslims...!! Although not all Muslims are bad nor all Christians are bad,as not all Jews are bad,as not all atheists are bad..!!
      As there is the light of day and the darkness of night, it is within mankind there are the light of goodness and there are the dark of badness, so you see people are not all the same although might be of the same religion or religion branch...

January 15, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • Joyce

As we near the end of days, we are all eager to see Jesus return. Please keep in mind as you talk about Israel that they are God's chosen people and everything on this earth since the beginning of time revolves around them. Additionally, God specifically gave them certain land and it is more than what they currently possess. Their land will be returned to them regardless what you, me or anyone else thinks or wants so we should all submit to God and bless His people with the land He gave them.

January 15, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • Muneef

Joyce.

They were the chosen people at times when messengers of GOD were sent out of them until Jesus came but after they tried killing him...GOD has chosen to send messenger out of the Arabs of Mecca;

We had already taken the covenant of the Children of Israel and had sent to them messengers. Whenever there came to them a messenger with what their souls did not desire, a party [of messengers] they denied, and another party they killed. (5:70)

And they thought there would be no [resulting] punishment, so they became blind and deaf. Then Allah turned to them in forgiveness; then [again] many of them became blind and deaf. And Allah is Seeing of what they do. (5:71)

January 15, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • Muneef

Joyce.

Then they were told;

Those who follow the Messenger, the unlettered prophet, whom they find written in what they have of the Torah and the Gospel, who enjoins upon them what is right and forbids them what is wrong and makes lawful for them the good things and prohibits for them the evil and relieves them of their burden and the shackles which were upon them. So they who have believed in him, honored him, supported him and followed the light which was sent down with him – it is those who will be the successful. (7:157)

Say, [O Muhammad], "O mankind, indeed I am the Messenger of Allah to you all, [from Him] to whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth. There is no deity except Him; He gives life and causes death." So believe in Allah and His Messenger, the unlettered prophet, who believes in Allah and His words, and follow him that you may be guided. (7:158)

January 15, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
    • Paul

Hi Muneef,
      You are quite right, the Jews were rejected by Allah when they killed Christ. Jesus wept over Jerusalem when he thought of it's future, knowing the Romans would destroy it. Jesus Christian followers carried Jesus work on and although it started with the Jews is now open to all of mankind when Paul spoke with Cornelius the Holy spirit was poured out on him and his household although a Gentile.
      Did you know the name of God (Allah) is Jehovah YHWH in Hebrew?
      May I ask why you insist on calling him Allah when all the prophets refered to him by his personal name Jehovah. Which makes him quite distinct from Jesus, Jehovah's son. Although a Christian I do not believe in the Trinity as most Christian religions as the Bible clearly teaches that Jesus is God's son, the Messiah.

February 7, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
  16. gary

faith based = delusional. No gods, deities or demons.

January 12, 2012 at 9:46 am |
    • Muneef

And how did you became to know what is there and what isn't there?? Well since you can see the unseen then can you tell us if there is any other life form than ours in the outer space and where??

January 15, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
  17. Levi

Is this a joke? Also... I like weenie

January 11, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  18. jdun

Religious belief is one of the roots of human violent behavior. From the beginning of written words we have seen religion and religious leaders defend their power and control of the people. Whether it be many gods like in Rome, Greece or Mesopotamia in ancient times to monotheism in the world today, religion has caused strife. The inquisition in Spain (where waterboarding was used as torture), the destruction of native peoples in North and South America, the fights between Hindus and Moslems in India and even the recent divisions in Islam are all examples of religiosity at its worst. Today, Americans are being told that religions other than evangelical Christianity are a threat to our very cultural survival. Morality is what the world needs and that doesn't have to be taught by religious groups. Its pretty simple, just think about what is the right thing to do, then do it! It has nothing to do with God's law, it is human justice.

January 10, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • Spacetime

While I agree with most of your statement (morality can and does exist outside of religion), I do not believe that religion is to blame for so much historical violence. It's true that religion was involved, but if you look closer, there were usually other reasons involved. The fact is that people are violent and prone to hate anybody different. Call it a survival instinct, but different often means scary. If it wasn't religion that caused so many wars, it would have been race, culutre, or just because group x thought that group y had better land. While many terrible things have been done in the name of whatever god, if you take a closer look, there was usually something else going on.

January 11, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • pattyo27

Spacetime, I think it would do you justice to open a few history books. The majority of wars, throughout human history, have been fueled by power, and scapegoated by religion. Religion has been used to keep followers ignorant, which makes them easier to control. This is just common sense. People are not genetically prone to hate those who are different. I have no idea where you could come to that conclusion. Do you find yourself naturally drawn to hating people you don't understand? I don't. You, like all religious followers, use every other excuse in the book to rationalize bad behavior throughout our history. All you have to do is take a look at current events like bogotry towards gays. Religion is an excuse to condemn them and, in turn, they become depressed and suicidal. Religion does nothing more than promote ignorance and obedience, without question.

January 14, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
  19. Joe Gets

Only criminals fear Shariah Law also.

January 10, 2012 at 10:56 am |
    • max

whats a crime? seeing a woman in a bikini? your shariah law sucks. give me freedom and you can follow your own misguided path.

January 13, 2012 at 10:35 am |
  20. HisWillAlways

I keep reading that in a court of Law this and that would not be accepted, or that it would be thrown out. There is a difference between Man's Law and GOD's Law. Many things that man is willing to accept the LORD is not. My personal experience as a non believer turned believer is that now I can not rationalize and justify my bad actions and behaviour. I am behaving respectfully, and love everyone simply because they exist and GOD loves us all. That does not mean HE likes us, but HE does love us. I love my son because he is my son, but I do not like him because he is a drunk, thief, liar, and a cheat -BUT I still love him. Church's are struggling everywhere because they no longer function according to the LORD'S Law, they now function according to the BOARD's Law. The boards law is based on man's reasoning, not GOD's WILL. A local church refused a persons membership because they smoked cigarettes, yet the entire congregation was witness to a miracle performed by the LORD that involved this person. The church did not refuse the person, the church refused GOD. Within the next three to five years we are going to see organized religion collapse. GOD has given us free will, what we do with it is our business. If we want to sin, we sin. If we want to live according to GOD'S Law we will. Most non believers I know are non believers because they do not want to admit that they are to some extent, minor or major, liars, cheats, and thieves.

January 9, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • BJD0012

Most believers I know are liers, cheats, and thieves. Plus many give no respect to anyone who has an opposing view of God. I believe in God, but that is as far as I go. I feel the onlky thing good cares about is what you do in life. Are you a good person, do you try to help others, or do you just stand on a street corener telling everyone they are doomed becasue they don't belive Jesus Christ is the Son of God. In Christianity, if you do not believe that Jesus is the Son of God and everything that goes along with that, then you dont get your ticket to the promised land. That says the only thing that really matters to God is getting praised and revered by the humann population. That is not love, that is a Dictatorship. If God truly cares about humanity and loves us, they he will provide the same benefits to the the Christian as well as teh buddist monk, or Muslim Cleric. It does not mater what you believe, God only cares about what you do.

January 11, 2012 at 1:02 pm |