By Peter Hamby, CNN
Greenville, South Carolina (CNN) - Despite lingering suspicions about his Mormon religion among some evangelicals here, Mitt Romney is embracing his faith in a new mail piece that began hitting South Carolina households on Saturday.
The glossy fold-out brochure, provided to CNN from a voter who received it, seeks to turn Romney's deeply-held religious convictions and his 42-year marriage into assets in a state where roughly six in ten Republicans call themselves "born again" or evangelical Christians.
"Meet Mitt ... Faith. Family. Country," the front of the mailer reads.
The flip side features a quote from the former Massachusetts governor: "If I'm President of the United States, I will be true to my family, my faith, and our country, and I will never apologize for the United States of America."
My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different web address and thought I should check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to looking over your web page for a second time.
If we're going by fact: RMoney evidently participated in a religious rite which violated the wishes and beliefs of his deceased father-in-law in accordance to RMoney's own personal beliefs? Usually I would say religion is private. But I must ask myself can such a man with those beliefs truly value the rights and choices of others enough to objectively run this country and it's military? Will the USA embark on a MISSION to save souls across the globe dead or alive? Will the deceased service members suffer the indignities of a secret-baptism? These are valid questions as this man is seeking to be the LEADER of the USA and has stated he will govern in accordance with his religious beliefs.
Dear Mormons / LDS Church/ & Readers,
Salvation does not whatsoever require Joseph Smiths Golden Tablets,
Just the truth person by only god. Shall achieve it.
Mormonism claims to restore Christianity, but most fundamentally it replaces much of Christianity with the teachings of Joseph Smith. Just a few of the things that Jesus never taught, but were central to Smith and his church: polygamy; Masonic-like temple rituals and “endowments;” depriving blacks of the Mormon priesthood; teaching that God was a man and men can become Gods; God has a body of flesh and bones and lives on a planet called Kolob; baptism for dead people; keeping genealogical records; Book of Mormon; Celestial, Telestial and Terrestial Kingdoms; teaching that Mormonism is the only true Church and all must become Mormons to go to “heaven,” etc etc. Many Mormons are wonderful people, but their church will always lack integrity as long as it continues to revere Joseph Smith; a man who immorally abused his ministerial authority and had a bad habit of deception.
All of the robotic Mormon responses are very amusing. They basically revolve around the "I believe in my religion, thus it must be based in fact" argument. No one can scientifically prove the factuality of things supernatural, and Mormons don't let minor details like observable, repeatable patterns keep them from programmed claims about the superiority of their brand of religion. What is more telling about a religion's "value" are the experiences recounted by former members who have seen the light and walked away.
To learn for yourself what a good number of former Mormons have to say about their time in this church, I would direct you to http://www.exmormon.org to learn about the psychological toll Mormonism takes on its members.
If Paul were here today, what church would he belong to? Paul actually answered that question in 1 Corinthians 1, " 10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, abut Crispus and Gaius;
15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name."
It is pretty obvious that Paul would not approve of the Lutheran church, or the Methodist, or the Baptist or any of the evangelical churches of the day. He said himself that he would only belong to the Church of Jesus Christ, and if he were alive today, he would belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Days. You can learn more at mormon.org.
Paul would be absolutely disgusted by the Mega Churches who sell the word of God and rake in millions. I am certain the same could be said for Jesus. Ron Hubbard was heard to say that if he wanted to make a million dollars, he would start a church, and that is exactly what he did. Christianity has apostatized from the truth! Jeremiah said, " 11 Hath a nation changed their gods, which are yet no gods? but my people have changed their glory for that which doth not profit. " 13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water."
People no longer worship idols but they have replaced the idols with false churches – churches who preach watered down Christianity, churches which have no power to save them from their sins; churches that have no priesthood authority to perform the sacred ordinances, churches led by uninspired usurpers who pardon sinners in exchange for their money! Well did Christ say of them, "1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber." (John 10) Of these he will say, " 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." A man or woman who is too proud to admit they are wrong and accept the truth will never see the Kingdom of God!
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
Christian economics 101:
The Baptizer drew crowds and charged for the "dunking". The historical Jesus saw a good thing and continued dunking and preaching the good word but added "healing" as an added charge to include free room and board. Sure was better than being a poor peasant but he got a bit too zealous and they nailed him to a tree. But still no greed there.
Paul picked up the money scent on the road to Damascus. He added some letters and a prophecy of the imminent second coming for a fee for salvation and "Gentilized" the good word to the "big buck" world. i.e. Paul was the first media evangelist!!! And he and the other Apostles forgot to pay their Roman taxes and the legendary actions by the Romans made them martyrs for future greed. Paul was guilty of minor greed? Yes!!!
Along comes Constantine. He saw the growing rich Christian community and recognized a new tax base so he set them "free". Major greed on his part!!
The Holy Roman "Empirers"/Popes/Kings/Queens/Evangelicals et al continued the money grab selling access to JC and heaven resulting in some of today's richest organizations on the globe i.e. the Christian churches (including the Mormon Church) and related aristocracies. Obvious greed!!!
An added note: As per R.B. Stewart in his introduction to the recent book, The Resurrection of Jesus, Crossan and Wright in Dialogue, ( Professors Crossan and Wright are On Faith panelists).
"Reimarus (1774-1778) posits that Jesus became sidetracked by embracing a political position, sought to force God's hand and that he died alone deserted by his disciples. What began as a call for repentance ended up as a misguided attempt to usher in the earthly political kingdom of God. After Jesus' failure and death, his disciples stole his body and declared his resurrection in order to maintain their financial security and ensure themselves some standing."
Some of Paul's money gathering activities some of which resulted in buying the Gentile entry into the then mostly Jewish version of Christianity:
Paul claimed almost total independence from the "mother church" in Jerusalem. and yet was eager and diligent to bring material support from the various budding Gentile churches that he planted to the mother church at Jerusalem.
When a famine occurred in Judea, around 45–46, Paul and Barnabas journeyed to Jerusalem to deliver financial support from the Antioch community. According to Acts, Antioch had become an alternative center for Christians following the dispersion of the believers after the death of Stephen. It was in Antioch that the followers of Jesus were first called "Christians."[Ac. 11:26]. This act basically "greased" the entry of non-circu-mcised Gentiles into Christianity.
"Paul collected the money from his four provinces, Galatia, Macedonia, Achaia and Asia but, for obvious reasons, of propriety, had representatives take each province's own contribution
He wouldn't even support the Catholic Church, which like LDS worship false idols. The Jews must be laughing at us all offshoots debating which is better, when they still worship the ONE "original" God.
Iran: It's Déjà Vu All Over Again
By Aijaz Zaka Syed
Little seems to change in..... http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article30176.htm
Imminent Iran Nuclear Threat?
A Timeline Of Warnings Since 1979
By Scott Peterson
Breathless predictions that the Islamic Republic will soon be at the brink of nuclear capability, or – worse – acquire an actual nuclear bomb, are not new. http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article30177.htm
Our War on Terror and Aggression:
An update (or how we are spending or how we have spent the USA taxpayers’ money to eliminate global terror and aggression)
The terror and aggression via a Partial and Recent Body Count
As the koranic/mosque driven acts of terror and horror continue:
The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century
■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "
and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.
and more recently
1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured
1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh
2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured
3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,480 and 928 in non combat roles. 102,522 – 112,049 Iraqi civilians killed as of 9/16/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, land mines and bombs of various types, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf
4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.
5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.
6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.
7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.
8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.
9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.
10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,385 killed in action, 273 killed in non-combat situations as of 09/15/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror
11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.
12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.
13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,
14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.
15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.
16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.
17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.
18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.
19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011
20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011
21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.
22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) - Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.
23) "October 4, 2011, 100 die as a truck loaded with drums of fuel exploded Tuesday at the gate of compound housing several government ministries on a busy Mogadishu street. It was the deadliest single bombing carried out by the al Qaeda-linked al-Shabab group in Somalia since their insurgency began. "
Other elements of our War on Terror and Aggression:
-Operation Iraqi Freedom- The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US Troops killed in action, 3,480 and 928 in non combat roles as of 09/15/2011/, 102,522 – 112,049 Iraqi civilians killed as of 9/16/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, land mines and bombs of various types, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf
– Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan: US troops 1,385 killed in action, 273 killed in non-combat situations as of 09/15/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed mostly due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror,
– Sa-dd-am, his sons and major he-nchmen have been deleted. Sa-dd-am's bravado about WMD was one of his major mistakes. Kuwait was saved.
– Iran is being been contained. (beside containing the Sunni-Shiite civil war in Baghdad, that is the main reason we are in Iraq. And yes, essential oil continues to flow from the region.)
– North Korea is still u-ncivil but is contained.
– Northern Ireland is finally at peace.
– The Jews and Palestinians are being separated by walls. Hopefully the walls will follow the 1948 UN accords. Unfortunately the Annapolis Peace Conference was not successful. And unfortunately the recent events in Gaza has put this situation back to “squ-are one”. And this significant stupidity is driven by the mythical foundations of both religions!!!
– – Fa-na–tical Islam has basically been contained to the Middle East but a wall between India and Pakistan would be a plus for world peace. Ditto for a wall between Afghanistan and Pakistan.
– Timothy McVeigh was exe-cuted. Terry Nichols escaped the death penalty twice because of deadlocked juries. He was sentenced to 161 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole, and is incarcerated in ADX Florence, a super maximum security prison near Florence, Colorado. He shares a cellblock that is commonly referred to as "Bombers Row" with Ramzi Yousef and Ted Kaczynski
– Eric Ru-dolph is spending three life terms in pri-son with no par-ole.
– Jim Jones, David Koresh, Kaczynski, the "nuns" from Rwanda, and the KKK were all dealt with and either eliminated themselves or are being punished.
– Islamic Sudan, Dar-fur and So-malia are still terror hot spots.
– The terror and tor-ture of Muslims in Bosnia, Kosovo and Kuwait were ended by the proper application of the military forces of the USA and her freedom-loving friends. Ra-dovan Karadzic was finally captured on 7/23/08 and is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violations of the law of war – charges related to the 1992-1995 civil war that followed Bosnia-Herzegovina's secession from Yugoslavia.
The capture of Ratko Mladić: (Serbian Cyrillic: Ратко Младић, pronounced [râtkɔ mlǎːditɕ], born 12 March 1943) is an accused war criminal and a former Bosnian Serb military leader. On May 31, 2011, Mladić was extradited to The Hague, where he was processed at the detention center that holds suspects for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY). His trial began on 3 June 2011.
– the bloody terror brought about by the Ja-panese, Na-zis and Co-mmunists was with great difficulty eliminated by the good guys.
– Bin Laden was executed for crimes against humanity on May 1, 2011
– Ditto for Anwar al-Awlaki on September 30, 2011
The New York Times is Misleading the Public on Iran
By Robert Naiman
AIPAC is trying to trick the United States into another catastrophic war with a Middle Eastern country on behalf of the Likud Party's colonial ambitions, and the New York Times is misleading the public with allegations that say that the country is developing "weapons of mass destruction". http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article30187.htm
Santorum: Iranians' 'Principle Virtue' To Die For God
'Is An Encouragement For Them To Use' Nukes
By Eli Clifton
Santorum's Iran policy appears to be framed, in no small part, by his extremist views on Islam and a belief that the Islamic Republic's leadership is inherently irrational and suicidal.
We might as well hand the presidential race over to Obama right now and get ready to live in a Hitler like socialist society. IF Mitt is the Repub nominee, all the dems have to do is bring to the public's attention some of the cult type rituals of the Mormons and he goes down the tubes. We (Repubs) tried to do it with Rev Wright but the idiot Dems looked the other way but I think most Americans don't have a clue what weird thing Mormons do. it's our won fault!
Hitler railled against the socialists, in fact the social Democrats were the main left-wing party of the time and when h we came to power they were the first victims of his purges. Hitler rode to power thanks to conservative revival and anger over lost pride(se WW1) and lack of faith in goverment officials particularly in intelectuals, and Socialists. The evangelical vote mostly Lutherans(Baptists) and Roman cathoilcs were overwhelmingly in support of him. He also abolished Labor Unions, Child Labor laws, the minnimum wage and required all childern to participate in Christian prayer in schools, For better info i suggest the time life WW2 series particularly "The prelude to war, the Nazis, and The home front Germany"
*when he came* (sig)
The protestant churches have no power to save you nor do they have the authority to baptize you nor preach the word of God and they certainly do not have the authority to change the teachings of the Bible or interpret what those teachings mean.
Hebrews 5 states, "4 And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron.
5 So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee." Aaron was called to the priesthood by Moses, the prophet. Not even Christ made himself a High Priest. Without Apostles and Prophets, there is no authority. Christ never meant for false ministers and priests to run helter skelter preaching whatever they please. Paul said, "One church, one faith, one baptism." Ephesians 4:5. Paul, nor Christ would approve of the thousands of churches who preach for profit in Christ's name. Ministers should have no other motive than to save your soul and glorify God. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has no paid clergy. If you are tired of all the nonsense that goes on in Christiandom these days, take a refreshing break and visit mormon.org.
Mormonism has Christian aspects but it is no more the Church of Jesus Christ than the PRC is the “People’s Republic of China.” Mormonism claims to restore Christianity, but most fundamentally it replaces much of Christianity with the teachings of Joseph Smith. Just a few of the things that Jesus never taught, but were central to Smith and his church: polygamy; Masonic-like temple rituals and “endowments;” depriving blacks of the Mormon priesthood; teaching that God was a man and men can become Gods; God has a body of flesh and bones and lives on a planet called Kolob; baptism for dead people; keeping genealogical records; Book of Mormon; Celestial, Telestial and Terrestial Kingdoms; teaching that Mormonism is the only true Church and all must become Mormons to go to “heaven,” etc etc. Many Mormons are wonderful people, but their church will always lack integrity as long as it continues to revere Joseph Smith; a man who immorally abused his ministerial authority and had a bad habit of deception.
The Mormon belief system is occultic with many strange un biblical practises like becominga member of the church you have to have a temple full body scrubbing to rid you of sins.Also wear undergarments 24/7 to ward off the evil,plus believe that Jesus was satans brother,with Points for getting others into the mormon ways .Come on. The Holy Bible is a history book of truth ,the Book of Mormon which I read before I accepted Jesus Christ and , was born again as Jesus said we had to do,was like fairy tales I gave them back this weird book of falsehoods.
To use your Babble .. I mean buy-bull ... oops bible .. for a history lesson is like using a Chemistry book to teach Phys. Ed. If you want to get rid of the weird book of falsehoods, sell your bible.
They still believe in the same delusion you do. They just believe a slightly different version but it all comes from the same book of fairy tales...the buybull. What you have spewed is considered the no true scotsman fallacy.
Thank-you for your opinion. Unfortunately, you made the wrong choice. None of the Protestant churches have a leg to stand on because they have apostatized from the Catholic church and can claim no authority. Each Protestant congregation does and preaches whatever it pleases. There is no revelation to guide them. Christ founded his true church on the foundation of apostles and prophets; Ephesians 2: "19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; " Their uninspired leaders have changed the true doctrine of Christ and are now even changing the scriptures to conform to their confused teachings as is attested in my comment on John 3 which is used in the article on Tebow this morning. The watered down version of Christianity that they teach has no power to save you. Go to mormon.org where kind people can bring you more happiness than you ever thought possible.
Also the magic under garments seem to have secret Masonic symbols on them. So as President he could wear his magic undies and be protected. We could all buy matching sets and save mega bucks on any funding to the military and never worry about lack of medical insurance again.
Only for the "newbies":
Unless Romney goes all "wishy-wash" on abortion, he is simply wasting his time running for president. Why you ask?
Why the Christian Right no longer matters in presidential elections:
Once again, all the conservative votes in the country "ain't" going to help a "pro-life" presidential candidate, i.e Rick Perry, Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman, Michele Bachmann, Newton Leroy Gingrich, Ron Paul or Rick Santorum, in 2012 as the "Immoral Majority" rules the country and will be doing so for awhile. The "Immoral Majority" you ask?
The fastest growing USA voting bloc: In 2008, the 70+ million "Roe vs. Wade mothers and fathers" of aborted womb-babies" whose ranks grow by two million per year i.e. 78+ million "IM" voters in 2012.
2008 Presidential popular vote results:
69,456,897 for pro-abortion/choice BO, 59,934,814 for "pro-life" JM.
And all because many women fail to take the Pill once a day or men fail to use a condom even though in most cases these men have them in their pockets. (maybe they should be called the "Stupid Majority"?)
(The failures of the widely used birth "control" methods i.e. the Pill and male condom have led to the large rate of abortions ( one million/yr) and S-TDs (19 million/yr) in the USA. Men and women must either recognize their responsibilities by using the Pill or condoms properly and/or use other safer birth control methods in order to reduce the epidemics of abortion and S-TDs.)
The number of abortions may have gone up, but hasn't the number of abortions per thousand gone down?
See http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html (50 million abortions in the USA since 1973 putting the Immoral Majority at even a higher number i.e. 100 million voters.)
You seem to think Obama got elected because of his stance on abortion. Not so. The people of our country were so ANGRY at Bush and the republicans we elected a man of color whose middle name is Hussein! Do you remember how angry everyone was at Bush for ruining the economy and starting wars for his own personal reasons? We were ANGRY and we are still suffering greatly because of what those criminals did.
Meanwhile the number of voters who were never aborted continues to increase. Funny thing about that. Just because somebody got an abortion doesn't mean that they have never regretted it, or that they would do it again. Meanwhile those who never considered having abortions are having children and passing those values on to their children. Turns out pro-life isn't such an untenable position to have after all.
Obama rode to the Blood-Red House on the backs of 35+million aborted womb-babies!!!
What BO can do to at least lift part of the Immoral Majority leader label?
He says abortions should be "safe, legal and rare" but says nothing about the basic tenet of proper human conduct i.e. Thou Shalt Not Kill. And where is BO's sense of indignation that abortions are not rare and that these acts of horror demean the Golden Rule considering that he says he is a Christian. And where is his sense of indignation that women who use the Pill do not use it properly resulting in an failure rate of 8.7% as per the Gu-ttmacher Inst-itute statistics. Using these and other Gu-ttmacher Insti-tute data, this failure of women to use the Pill properly results in ~1,000,000 unplanned pregnancies every year. And the annual abortion rate in the USA is?? ~1,000,000 as per the CDC.
And do males use co-ndoms properly? No, as said failure rate for this birth "control" method is 17.4%!! Again using Gu-ttmacher data, said failure rate results in another ~1,000,000 unplanned pregnancies every year.
Bottom line: BO is still not aware of the basics of birth control and still remains the leader of the Immoral Majority and will remain so until he becomes a true Christian and one who respects and protects human life in all its forms and who at least emphasizes the proper use of birth control methods!!!
Newsflash: All religion is weird to anyone who doesn't believe it. The Joseph Smith story is the second craziest thing I have every heard. The first?: Some guy died 2000 years ago and magically erased all of the bad things I have ever done, then he came back to life and now can never die. I know, crazy but I still believe it.
Call me a Christian because I believe in this doctrine and dozens of other crazy stories in the Bible.
I'll tell you what is really crazy: 1) Believing that God ONLY spoke to men in Jerusalem for a short period of time and stopped giving subsequent guidance. 2) Taking very literally a text (and then condemning others as a result) that has been translated by multiple parties and severat times by those who had an agenda to make the doctrine read how they believed (ever played the telephone game?) 3) Attending a church based on the charisma of the preacher (especially if it is his full-time job) rather than determining his calling from God.
My preference is to talk to the Source of all Truth via prayer and then make life altering decisions. He does answer prayers. He can teach us all more about Jesus Christ than just what is contained in the Bible. For these reasons, I am a Mormon.
While I have never even read the book of mormon, but my beliefs are similar to yours. I discard most theology and just try to live as Jesus taught.
Mormonism is NOT Christianity. Mormonism is a false religion:
1. Mormons teach that God started out as a man, but the Bible says (John 4:24) that God is a spirit.
2. Mormons teach that Jesus is on a planet orbiting the star Kolob, but the Bible says that "Our Father, which art in heaven" (Matthew 6:9)
3. Mormonism teaches that Jesus and Satan are spiritual brothers, but the Bible says that Jesus is God, the creator of everything in heaven and earth (Colossians 1:16-18)
4. Mormons claim there were many gods present when a war in heaven occurred, but the Bible states that "I am the Lord, there is none else, there is no God beside me" (Isaiah 45:5)
5. Mormons claim that Jesus is only the Messiah because His particular plan to save the world was considered best by God, but the Bible says Jesus was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not (John 1:10)
6. Mormons believe that people with black skin are from spirits who didn't fight valiantly during the battle in heaven and people with white skin are from spirits who did fight valiantly. The bible doesn't say anything about where skin color comes from.
7. Mormons believe that they will become gods with a planet of their own. Again this goes completely against the teachings of the bible.
8. Mormons believe that Jesus couldn't become god unless He was married, but the Bible says that "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today and for ever" (Hebrews 13:8) and God has always been God (John 1:1-3 and Revelation 1:8)
9. The founder of Mormonism was deeply involved in the occult. Joseph Smith was arrested in 1826 for the occult practice of "Glass looking" in which he claimed he could find buried treasure by looking through his magic "Peepstone". Hmm... guess where else he used this trick? In creating the book of Mormon!
And where is your proof that these are their beliefs? You cite Bible verses, but you didn't cite passages from the book of Mormon. Why is that?
"Mormonism is NOT Christianity"
Hypocrite much?? This is the no true scotsman fallacy. They use the same book of fairy tales you use and couple it with the book of moron oops I mean mormon.
Trying to define truth by using ancient scripture has never yielded anything useful and arguing that one ancient book (if you know the history of the gospels you can't possibly imagine they came from god.) Reality is God's True Religion™.
It's time for "Talk with a mormon and christian."
P: Hello, I'm pat and I'm your host for today, say hello Christian and Mormon.
P: Ok, time to take a look at your faiths. I guess you're both game.
P: Mary was a virgin and impregnated with Jesus through her ear.
P: Jesus was the son of God.
P: Jesus walked on water, turned water into wine, reattached a severed ear, rose the dead and cured leprosy!
P: Jesus then died on the cross and rose from the dead!
P: Then there was this guy who read gold tablets in North America.
C: HOLD ON. THAT'S JUST NUTS.
Christianity doesn't "make more sense" then mormonism. They're both crazy. Just that mormonism has more instances of crazy. The reality here is that if you think someone wearing special underpants is "nuts" but you accept things like water into wine and raising the dead is perfectly plausable, then you're a fool.
The reason is because other people who have beliefs that are different and exclusionary to yours rely on the same thing, faith. This means two things. That not all religions can be true, and that there may in fact not be any religion that has it right.
The fact that you "feel that your religion is correct" has no more bearing on what is and is not true then someone who thinks they've been abducted by aliens. Or that 9/11 was an inside job. Or that vaccines cause autism.
This isn't complicated. Why do people have a hard time grasping this?
The CNN Belief Blog covers the faith angles of the day's biggest stories, from breaking news to politics to entertainment, fostering a global conversation about the role of religion and belief in readers' lives. It's edited by CNN's Daniel Burke with contributions from Eric Marrapodi and CNN's worldwide news gathering team.