home
RSS
Survey: U.S. Protestant pastors reject evolution, split on Earth's age
January 10th, 2012

Survey: U.S. Protestant pastors reject evolution, split on Earth's age

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

America’s Protestant pastors overwhelmingly reject the theory of evolution and are evenly split on whether the earth is 6,000 years old, according to a survey released Monday by the Southern Baptist Convention.

When asked if “God used evolution to create people," 73% of pastors disagreed - 64% said they strongly disagreed - compared to 12% who said they agree.

Asked whether the earth is approximately 6,000 years old, 46% agreed, compared to 43% who disagreed.

A movement called Young Earth creationism promotes the 6,000-year-old figure, arguing that it is rooted in the Bible. Scientists say the earth is about 4.5 billion years old.

The Southern Baptist Convention survey, which queried 1,000 American Protestant pastors, also found that 74% believe the biblical Adam and Eve were literal people.

“Recently discussions have pointed to doubts about a literal Adam and Eve, the age of the earth and other origin issues," said Ed Stetzer, president of LifeWay Research, a division of the Southern Baptist Convention, in a report on LifeWay’s site. “But Protestant pastors are overwhelmingly Creationists and believe in a literal Adam and Eve.”

The phone survey was conducted in May 2011, sampling ministers from randomly selected Protestant churches. The survey had a margin of error of plus or minus 3.2 percent, LifeWay said.

A 2010 Gallup poll found that 40% of Americans believe God created humans in their present form, versus 54% who said humans developed over millions of years.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Evangelical • Science

« Previous entry
soundoff (6,504 Responses)
  1. Ida's isms evolved naturally into Sophie's isms

1st Timothy 6:20

March 30, 2013 at 8:29 pm |
  2. Ida' isms evolved to Sophie' isms

It is just a world view introduced by satan. satan asks, did God really say that?Yes he did satan, read the Bible.
    74% got it right.

March 24, 2013 at 2:44 pm |
  3. archeage power leveling

I must show my appreciation to you for rescuing me from such a crisis. After researching throughout the search engines and obtaining advice which were not beneficial, I was thinking my entire life was done. Existing without the approaches to the problems you've sorted out as a result of this post is a crucial case, and ones which may have in a wrong way affected my career if I had not encountered your site. Your personal training and kindness in dealing with a lot of things was invaluable. I don't know what I would have done if I had not encountered such a stuff like this. I'm able to at this time relish my future. Thank you very much for your reliable and result oriented help. I will not be reluctant to refer your site to any individual who desires care on this situation. archeage power leveling http://www.cheap-archeage-gold.com/archeage-power-leveling.html

February 23, 2013 at 5:36 am |
  4. chanel wallet

Wonderful paintings! This is the kind of information that should be shared across the web. Shame on search engines|Google} for not positioning this post higher! Come on over and discuss with my web site . Thanks =)
    chanel wallet http://chanelwalletsale.weebly.com/

October 24, 2012 at 9:55 am |
  5. coco chanel

Hello to every single one, it's genuinely a nice for me to pay a visit this web page, it contains precious Information.
    coco chanel http://cocochanel.hpage.com/

October 24, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  6. Hubert

My immediate reoitcan would be to say that of course I'd choose my current life, but were I really faced with the choice I don't think it would be all that easy, you know?Thanks for such a thorough review for the tour!

October 9, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
  7. Peter

Time is one of the hardest things to get a grasp of when considering earth history, but geologists figure out time scales by looking at the speed at which natural processes take place today. The physical processes of the earth, such as earthquakes, volcanoes, oceans, land, ice caps, ice ages, continents parting and joining together are all there to be seen today and are measurable in time and space. From this, estimates of time spans can be made and the fossils buried in the rocks connect biology with physics, telling us that life forms have changed over time as well. As geologists we are encouraged to keep an open mind and consider all ideas objectively and this way we have been liberated from believing the written word just because it has been written for a long time

September 25, 2012 at 8:28 am |
  8. Nietodarwin

This is why the USA has such low test scores. Religion is child abuse. These religious people are afforded the freedom to believe and practice this nonsense in their homes and churches, and yet still insist on doing things like coming on here and quoting the bible, and teaching children this crap. (Children who later end up with lower test scores, and lots of other mental problems brought on by religion.

August 28, 2012 at 9:35 am |
  9. Peteyroo

Right. The earth is flat and the sun revolves around us. Am I missing anything?

June 2, 2012 at 1:40 am |
    • Paul

Yes, you're missing the fact that Christians never believed the earth was flat.

June 2, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • mattmchugh

That's right. Christians never believed the Earth was flat - the empirical evidence for a round Earth, well established by Egyptian/Greek/Roman observations, was the overwhelming worldview by the time of Christ.

The ancient Hebrews believed in a flat Earth, as described in Genesis.

August 27, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
  10. GrowUp

Seriously? LMFAO!

June 1, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
  11. Jeremy

Video at the end was funny. Nicely selected for maximum typo impact. lol.

June 1, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
  12. Jayakumar

The most educated people on the planet are also the most dumbest.. what a paradox?

June 1, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • Grammarman

"most dumbest"??

Perhaps you should get some education as well, or at least basic English training. Also, I think it is difficult to judge someone when you can't relate to them, thus your own lack of education would affect you weighing in on the subject. Any idiot can have an opinion. Don't judge a man until you've walked in his shoes.

August 28, 2012 at 9:48 am |
  13. Golden Sun Loves All

I'm an atheist but I do believe religion is good for people, if it is not used in politics. Actual I do believe in a god, or should I say goddess. Mother nature is my god. She, without doubt, is the creator of everything, and she doesn't asked to be worship like other gods, just respected.

March 15, 2012 at 12:29 am |
  14. SuPpre

March 12, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
    • Grammarman

Wow, there are at least 30 misspellings and major basic grammar errors in the text of this video. And the premise is that Atheism and education don't make you smart, thus uneducated Theists should be respected for their educated opinions. LMFAO.

August 28, 2012 at 9:52 am |