home
RSS
Survey: U.S. Protestant pastors reject evolution, split on Earth's age
January 10th, 2012

Survey: U.S. Protestant pastors reject evolution, split on Earth's age

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

America’s Protestant pastors overwhelmingly reject the theory of evolution and are evenly split on whether the earth is 6,000 years old, according to a survey released Monday by the Southern Baptist Convention.

When asked if “God used evolution to create people," 73% of pastors disagreed - 64% said they strongly disagreed - compared to 12% who said they agree.

Asked whether the earth is approximately 6,000 years old, 46% agreed, compared to 43% who disagreed.

A movement called Young Earth creationism promotes the 6,000-year-old figure, arguing that it is rooted in the Bible. Scientists say the earth is about 4.5 billion years old.

The Southern Baptist Convention survey, which queried 1,000 American Protestant pastors, also found that 74% believe the biblical Adam and Eve were literal people.

“Recently discussions have pointed to doubts about a literal Adam and Eve, the age of the earth and other origin issues," said Ed Stetzer, president of LifeWay Research, a division of the Southern Baptist Convention, in a report on LifeWay’s site. “But Protestant pastors are overwhelmingly Creationists and believe in a literal Adam and Eve.”

The phone survey was conducted in May 2011, sampling ministers from randomly selected Protestant churches. The survey had a margin of error of plus or minus 3.2 percent, LifeWay said.

A 2010 Gallup poll found that 40% of Americans believe God created humans in their present form, versus 54% who said humans developed over millions of years.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Evangelical • Science

« Previous entry
soundoff (6,504 Responses)
  1. momoya

If a person rejects evolution and evolutionary science, shouldn't they refuse all medical treatments whose discoveries and current practice is a result of evolutionary science? If YEC Christians were fully aware of all the modern technology based on evolutionary science they would have to come to grips with their ridiculous views on the age of the earth/universe.

January 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Primewonk

Most of our foodstuffs are the result of farmers practicing the basic tenets of evolution – even if they don't realize it.

So these fundiots should also give up eating any modern grains, veggies, fruits, or meats.

January 11, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • Jimmy

Primewonk
      I think that they would say that farmer's efforts suit an argument for intelligent design more. Thing is, they just don't believe that it occurs naturally.

January 11, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
  2. Lay-Z

I name my baby Lil Doo Doo Drop.

January 11, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • Uncle Sanchez

JFK is in hell chasing Princess Di in hope of sucking her big ole D!CK.

January 11, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • .....

Still suffering from low self esteem issues, you really need to seek professional help.

January 11, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  3. Steve D

Time to face the ugly truth. Fundamentalism is a man-made, pseudo-Christian cult, the same label they like to pin on groups like the Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, etc. Not a single one of their sects can trace itself directly back to early Christianity, either doctrinally or as an organization. The Baptists date back to 1609, and most groups have fissioned off since then. Every single one is an attempt to reconstruct what the founder and his followers IMAGINES Jesus taught, usually very selectively. All fundamentalist groups are MAN-MADE. Not a single one is authentic Christianity.

January 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • Stephen B.

There are No True Scotsmen.

January 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • ReligionIs4Dolts

I hope you are not implying that Catholicism is a true representation of Christianity either, just because Catholics like to claim that Peter was the first "pope" or some such crap. Catholicism is a cult that makes up all kinds of phony baloney along the way (praying to saints, purgatory, indulgences that of course you have to BUY, etc.).

January 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

The definition of Christian is to live your life in the image of Jesus Christ.
      Faith in miracles, divinity, resurrections, and other fantastical flourishes isn't required to live a life of pacifism, charity and humility.

January 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • Forrest Forrest Gump

Mama says life is like a box of chocolates until a nig ger steals them.

January 11, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
    • .....

Forest, your low self esteem issues are sad to see did you get an ego boost with that stupid comment. You should seek professional help. Emotional maturity is defined as: the ability to express one’s own feelings and convictions balanced with consideration for the thoughts and feelings of others. It seems you still need to learn that lesson based on your posts on this blog.

January 11, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
  4. MartinT

@Cody – you recently asked my age, guessing I was 20-something. How cute, and I appreciate that since I'm now 50 and enjoying the age very much. My recommendation for you to stretch yourself is a valid one, there are some really outstanding works out there that will force you to see your world in a different light, enjoy the debate, but keep your options open. As I stated further down, I work at a college in Boston, and I hold an earned PhD. Peace.

January 11, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
    • Cody

Yeah right and I am an african amirican Jewish preist.

January 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • MartinT

Dude, whatever floats your boat. Just because you say it, doesn't make it untrue. I'd love to wager a bit on this, if you care to. I'd be more than happy to contact you with a business care, perhaps a photo or two, or you can join me for lunch here. Too bad, because I could use the money. LOL

January 11, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  5. Cliff

You know its easy for me to believe in God and what his Word says because I have a relationship wth HIm. He answers specific prayers and I not only say I believe in Him but experience him each day. I know many Christians and many non-Christians and Atheist and I can see change in peoples lives when the experience him. With God I have Hope of a wonderful future when I pass from this mortal life to eternal life instead of nothing to hope for but excitement in attacking Christian Faith. The root is that you know that inside you have nothing to look forward to and little love in your heart for others. I look forward to every opportunity to tell folks about Jesus as I experience him and the change he has performed in me over the last 14 yrs. I used to be just like you until God revealed himself to me. Christianity is not a religion its a relationship with the Creator of the Universe and all its wonders that we as mere humans are not capable of understanding.

January 11, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • Jeebus

Why is god a "him"? Wouldn't that mean he evolved to have a penis to transfer his DNA? I mean, that's what gender is for. Even plants have them for that very purpose.

January 11, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
    • Elwood P. Dowd

And I have a relationship with my invisible 6' 3" rabbit named Harvey. Let me introduce you to him...

January 11, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • MartinT

@ Cliff: I'm happy that you have this relationship with you god, but I do have some questions about it. You say he answers your prayers, do you have any specifics for that? I mean things that are easily verified, and could you ask your god to alleviate the hunger in sub-Sahara Africa? Also, you live your life today in hopes of some fanciful life you will have in eternity, right? You do know that eternity is a LONG time, and what do you think will happen during that time? Imagine existing for no other reason that to please some god. What if he turns out to be boring or worse a freak? Seriously though, I do wish you could and would clarify some of what you have written here... thanks.

January 11, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • MartinT

@Cliff, I too have seen changes in people who have "experienced" your god, changes like intollerance, piety, and fanaticism, for starts. I don't knock religious people who keep their experiences quiet, like the bible says to pray in a closet. I do have issues with much of what is written in the bible that is pretty aweful, as well as the fact that Jesus is nothing more than a clone of many other deities, such as Buddha, Mithra, Isis, just to name a few. They are all "sun" gods, as is Jesus.

January 11, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • ReligionIs4Dolts

"answers specific prayers"
      like "god please make it sunny tomorrow" and then if it is sunny you think god did it....or if it's not sunny then you just chalk that up to "well, i guess god had other plans"
      Or better yet. "god please help me to score this touchdown in tonight's game" and when/if it does happen it must have been god who helped (instead of you just being the sole author of your own destiny, having achieved your goals because of the work YOU alone did).
      Depending on prayer is a terrible way to live one's life, shirking responsibility for your own actions and blaming/attributing your actions (or the weather) on some imaginary deity when it can be explained in more concrete, scientific, cause-and-effect terms.

January 11, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
  6. Jim

"Scientists say the earth is about 4.5 billion years old." See, this is where it gets fun. When exactly is it deemed the earth came into existence? When the first particle started to come together or when the surface was the size it is now, (increasing every day), or when we had a moon, or... Carbon dating (or whatever way we choose to test), would only go back as far as the objects we are testing existed in there current form. If it was melted and solidified and melted and solidified again, we'd only be able to test back to when it was last solidified and everything beyond that would not be capable of being tested, meaning that that time wouldn't exist in our formula and we would be wrong on our guesses to how old the earth is by huge amounts. Samples from other planets might help, but similar things can be said about our information gathering techniques and how we calculate them.

January 11, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
    • Primewonk

So you're upset that science can't say that the earth formed Sunday, January 1st, 4, 539,997,988 BCE?

Yet you can't even tell us when Jesus was born 2000 years ago?

Give me a freaking break.

January 11, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • Nonimus

If I recall correctly, there are outcroppings of rock in Australia that are considered the oldest available surface rock that go back 4+ billion years old and meteorites that are around 4.5 +/- billion years old, supporting the concept that the solar system is that old. (mostly based on radiometric dating. Not carbon14 since it has a much shorter half-life.)
      (http://ncse.com/evolution/science/how-old-is-earth)

January 11, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • MartinT

Well said Pimewonk! Funny how you didn't get an answer.

January 11, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • Dr.K.

Just to clear things up, carbon dating cannot be used to date rock. Never has. Radiocarbon dating is used to date organic remains (things that were once alive) and is accurate only to about 45,000 yrs ago. Carbon dating is never used to date the age of the earth, it is used to date relatively recent (geologically speaking) organic remains. Whenever you hear someone refer to carbon dating in the context of the age of the earth or the universe you can rest assured they don't know what they are talking about.

January 11, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Dr. Gary Hurd

For the basics on the age of the Earth, read;

Dalrymple, G. Brent
      1991 The Age of the Earth Stanford University Press

_____________
      2004 Ancient Earth, Ancient Skies: The Age of Earth and its Cosmic Surroundings Stanford University Press

Use either one. If you want the technical bits read;

Dickin, Alan P.
      2000 “Radiogenic Isotope Geology” Cambridge University Press

January 11, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
  7. Cuervo Jones

So these twits believe in magic? If Jeebus came back today nothing would change. The Jews would arrest the Palestinian for inciting revolution and calling them hypocrites. If he was in the US he would be locked in a insane asylum the moment he said he was Jesus, and all the magical thinkers would deny him if he interfered with their money gathering.

January 11, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • catholic engineer

That's exactly what would happen. Human nature at work. I wonder if evolution will ever improve human nature.

January 11, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • Jeebus

Uh.. I've been back for quit some time now buddy.

January 11, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
  8. Big John

A guy I ran track with in college was like this. He truly, from the bottom of his heart, believed the earth was about 6000 years old.

His explanation for the dinosaur fossils – God put them in the ground to trick us and to test our faith.

This level of stupidity is hard to understand for any intelligent being. You can't believe-away facts. It just can't be done.

January 11, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • Jim

Scary to think we are sharing the planet with so many primitive thinkers.

January 11, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • Jeebus

My friends ex-boyfriend believed the same thing. But she later told me that he believes in dinosaurs now because his parents said they existed. Go figure.

January 11, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
  9. Dirty Joe

So basically this study reveals what most intelligent people already know-

That those in charge of teaching religion are ignorant. Yet somehow millions of dumb Americans across the county still listen to these ignorant fools.

Makes you really wonder.

January 11, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Actually, Peter Pan, Jesus teaches us how to grow up and take responsibility for our thoughts/beliefs/actions in life while we learn to spiritually grow to maturity through His guidance and grace.

Amen.

January 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • HeavenSent

God so loves me that he gave me hundreds of cats. Cats and cats and cats and cats. I like cats and cats like me. Mostly.

Achoo.

January 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • Tinkerbell

You called, HeavenSent? Is there anything I can do for you today?

January 11, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • What?

"Therefore, hide behind science which uncovers what our world is because they did a great job uncovering all the immature individuals walking around in chronologically aged bodies with the mentality of 1st and 2nd graders. A special thanks to Rikki Gervais for pointing out the immaturity levels of his audience."

Just because you've read the bible doesn't make you mature. Christians from all walks of life claiming jesus's truth have done horrific and childish things. H.S. you missed this life lesson. Emotional maturity is defined as: the ability to express one’s own feelings and convictions balanced with consideration for the thoughts and feelings of others. It seems you still need to learn that lesson based on your posts on this blog.

January 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
  10. anonymouse

Religion is like a penis.

It's ok to have one and it's ok to be proud of it.

But please don't whip it out in public and more than anything don't you dare try to shove it down my throat.

January 11, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • Cody

Cute

January 11, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • NY mouse

What's that make a church?

January 11, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
    • Jeebus

"What does that make a church?"

A sausage fest.

January 11, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • MarkinFL

I still prefer having the latter over the former. At least it has an honest purpose and can be a lot of fun in between.

January 11, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
  11. Primewonk

To counter this poll of 1000 fundamentalist preachers – I offer you the Clergy Letter Project (theclergyletterproject dot org)

12,000+ professional theologians, ministers, pastors, priests, etc. They all state that there is no problem with a faith in the Christian god and an understanding that evolution is a fact.

January 11, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • Nonimus

Hear! Hear!

January 11, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • Cody

I will give that an AMEN!

January 11, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • Jeebus

Wouldn't that contradict the bible then? Unless maybe it was 6,000 years for God and 3.5 billion for us. Time compression.

January 11, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • Cody

Time, like the bible, is a human invention.

January 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • Jeebus

Actually, the bible is a human invention. Time is interwoven into space. Spacetime. Now, each of our own perception of time is unique and self-made.

January 11, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • Primewonk

he problem is with folks who insist in a literal interpretation of the bible instead of allegorical. The only reason they do this, is because they have been told to believe this way.

January 11, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • Nonimus

...but if "Time is interwoven," then who did the weaving?
      /sarcasm

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

January 11, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
  12. ncjd

The stupidity of these "pastors" who deny science is one reason why I don't go to church anymore. And this same intentional stupidity is a driving force in conservative politics. These morons have way too much power in our society.

January 11, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
  13. Archie

I spent seven years in seminary and am an ordained Baptist minister. I believe in science and in a universe that is billions of years old. I also believe in the good science that has become evident through our understanding of the natural evolutionary process. And I also believe in a God who comes to me through the person of Jesus Christ. Belief and understanding of science does not preclude a belief/experience in God. Evolution is fact and faith is based personal experience and the grace of God.

January 11, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • catholic engineer

Agreed, Archie.
      Seems to me that science is mostly concerned with what is external to us, with processing information collected by our senses. But awareness of God comes from an interior quality and God's own initiative. When Jesus asked Peter "Who to you say I am" – well, you know Peter's reply. Jesus then explained that flesh and blood did not reveal this to Peter, but God in heaven.

January 11, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • James

I wish more religious folk would think like you. Unfortunatly, most just stick their fingers in their ears insisting "that's what the bible says". I currently live in Utah where it's not uncommon to see a billboard exclaiming "Evolution – don't believe the lie"

Sometimes I feel that we're headed back towards another dark ages but that's just probably due to what I've wittness in Utah the past year or two. I believe there are still some people out there with a brain on their head.

January 11, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • catholic engineer

@James,
      I suspect we are in fact headed toward another dark age. I suspect we've been devolving since Darwin. Atheists jeer at the old myths, particularly the "bronze age" ones. But myths were humanity's first attempts to explain himself in terms of something greater than himself- pretty sophisticated for a dumb brute ! Evolution has caused us to obsess with things far less than ourselves – a huge step backward.

January 11, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • Nonimus

Sounds fine to me. We can all believe what our experience leads us to believe about matters that are unverifiable, such as God, heaven, hell, etc.
      Verifiable facts, however, are not up for popular vote, but are dependent on the evidence alone.

January 11, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • catholic engineer

@Nonimus Your comment reminds me of something that Stephen J. Gould, the Harvard evolutionist, said. To paraphrase : the material world has nothing to say to us about morality, that we should look to philosophers and theologians for guidance.
      I don't think you want a world without morality any more than the rest of us. NOting in evolution science suggest that I shouldn't slander my neighbor.

January 11, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
    • Nonimus

@catholic engineer,
      If you are referring to NOMA, I don't think that is quite accurate. I think he wasn't speaking to religion and science, not morality. Second, even if the material world had nothing to say about morality, that still doesn't imply a "world without morality". And finally, evolution does have quite a bit to say about morality and the origins thereof. Just last night I attended an informal seminar on George Price and the Price Equation, for example.

January 11, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
    • Jeebus

There's absolutely nothing wrong with spiritualism and science being together as a whole. I mean as we dive more and more into our universe, we're starting to see that there are levels of existence and energy that we've only begun to notice. The two are intertwined, the only thing that doesn't quit fit into all of this are the literal interpretations of events in the bible.

January 11, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
  14. Cody

Humans are facinating

January 11, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
  15. MKULTRA BRAINIMPLANTS4U

MILLIONS TO BE ASSASSINATED FOR THE SAKE OF $$$ LIABILITIES(mk-ultra, chip implants, electroshocks etc. performed on them) AND NEW WORLD ORDER(multiculturalism = terrorism) POLITICAL AGENDA KNOWN AS "YOU ARE NEXT"(financial liabilities are 2 expensive for the government and it is cheaper to get read of you instead) !!! IF YOU WERE TREATED WITH ELECTROSHOCKS OR DRUGS USED FOR WIPING OUT MEMORY(numerous Americans and Europeans were and are) AFTER ENDURING FORCED CHIP IMPLANTS(or to retard individual = how homeless people are produced), YOU ARE SCHEDULED NEXT !!!

NOW YOU KNOW WHAT ORWELLIAN UNITED STATES CONGRESS(USSR#2) IS SOOO BUSY WHEN PLAYING/CLOWNING(acting) IN FRONT OF CAMERAS ONLY HOW SOMETHING HAVE TO BE DONE(deliberately omitting/delaying facts of genocide as seen on this complain) !!!

LEARN TRUTH ABOUT UNITED NATIONS, AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL AS WELL AS NEW WORLD ORDER(MULTICULTURALISM = TERRORISM) GOVERNMENTS(Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) !!! NOT THERE TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS, BUT TO DENY YOUR RIGHT TO EXISTENCE !!!

ABDUCTIONS / FORCED BRAIN CHIP IMPLANTS / BLACKLISTING / FORCEFUL UNEMPLOYMENT / MK-ULTRA BRAINWASHING AGAINST WHITE(under "NAZI" lie) CIVILIAN POPULATION TODAY IN 2011/2012 ACROSS THE EUROPE AND NORTHERN AMERICA !!!

WHY TO ACCEPT LIABILITIES FOR CRIMES COMMITTED WHEN WE CAN SIMPLY ASSASSINATE OUR VICTIMS(YOU) THANKS TO HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS AND FREE PRESS/MEDIA(most severe censorship of genocide ever !!!)!!

OR
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BostjanAvsec OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE RECORDED LIVE IN 2009 !!! EXILING WHITES(US citizens) WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE AND IMPORTING NON WHITES IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENTS FREE !!!

January 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • Primewonk

That is some serious, heavy duty, bad, BATSHlT craziness there Sparky.

January 11, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • Cuervo Jones

put the pipe down goober get some sleep

January 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • ReligionIs4Dolts

Yeah, lay off the impertinent commentary, dope fiend

January 11, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
  16. Cody

There are no mistakes...just reasons you do not understand. The good news is, it will all be clear eventually.

January 11, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • ReligionIs4Dolts

So you're saying "god" is a sadist and enjoys stacking the deck against his most cherished creation? HA!

January 11, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • Cody

No thats not it at all. We are just pions. WE have no freaking idea what the hell we are or why all lthis is happening. We are incapable of fully comprehinding what the universe is.

January 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • MartinT

What a wonderfully idiotic response! If it makes no sense, it's god working in mysterious ways. NO MISTAKES, you do realize that your being born, anyone being born, is really a miracle, but not from god from evolutions sick joke file. In order for Man to be able to walk on two legs, the pelvis had to thrust forward, changing the center of gravity, thus creating a very difficult birthing process for humans. NO other species of animal has as much difficulty in reproduction than man, and how do we "explain" this... God works in mysterious ways, OH, yeah and Eve ate of the forbidden fruit and is being punished for ETERNITY... well, women are anyway and we men have to live with it.. so there...

January 11, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • MartinT

@ Cody, you really believe that don't you? Do you read books? Other than the bible that is, did you go to school at all, or were you home schooled? Any college, at all? I encourage you to read, my friend, as much as you can on any and all topics. Read things that you disagree with and things you agree with, find books that stretch your mind and your understanding of the universe. Speak with people who DON'T think like you do, challenge them and LISTEN to their responses. There is HOPE for you, if you open your eyes and stop living in your box.

January 11, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • Cody

Either way it is a damn miracle.

January 11, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • Cody

Yes actually I have a BA. I am very open minded to all opinions.

January 11, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • Cody

MartinT let me guess...You are 20 something years old?

January 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • Jeebus

Yes Cody, we came into this world not knowing why we came through, but that's the beautify of questioning. What you need to realize is, everything we're made up of came from the insides of stars. Not only that, we're all made up of matter and matter as we know it is energy in cool condensed form. We are very much a part of this universe and it is a part of us. So to state that we can never comprehend it is false. We are the universe and the universe is us.

January 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • Cody

I agree we are very much a part of the universe. However, we DO NOT fully understand what the Universe is. Where did matter come from? Where did energy com from?

January 11, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • Nonimus

@Cody,
      "However, we DO NOT fully understand what the Universe is."
      Agreed, we do not. But that in no way leads to some intelligent creator of the Universe.

January 11, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • Cody

As for us humans that remains to be seen.

January 11, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • ReligionIs4Dolts

If a "creator" existed before the universe, then how was the "creator" created? Super-god? But then the question would remain, who/what created Super-god? ad infinitum

January 11, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
    • MartinT

@ Cody, you are a terrible guesser of ages. I'm actually 50, with an earned PhD, working for one of the finest universities in the world in Boston. How's that?

January 11, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • MarkinFL

Actually there is good evidence that we may be capable of comprehending the universe. We get better at it all the time. One thing we have definitely discovered; gods are completely unnecessary in the equation. So far we have only found evidence of natural processes and have yet to find ANY proof of anything supernatural/magic.
      Sure we do not know everything and probably never will. However, we certainly know enough to move beyond superst.ition and fairy tales.

January 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
  17. ReligionIs4Dolts

If either evolution is not true or god wasn't just an apprentice making a practice run at creation, then why are there so many mistakes?!

January 11, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • ReligionIs4Dolts

Myopia – NAW, humans won’t need to see anything in focus. Just let ‘em figure out on their own (over thousands of years) how to do calculus and physics and learn how to make lenses

January 11, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • ReligionIs4Dolts

Dental – NAW, humans won’t need their teeth to be straight. Let ‘em figure out how to fabricate tiny, specialized metal tools to do their own orthodontic corrections. Let ‘em figure out on their own that sugar and acid create ideal environments for bacteria to grow, bacteria that destroy tooth enamel and create cavities, which if left unchecked will leave a human without any teeth. (Oh and of course man will have already had to learn about what bacteria are, which required lenses, or even electron microscopy, which brings up yet another realm of science). Oh, and what about those seemingly extra 18-year molars (wisdom teeth)? Why is there usually not enough room for those to fit?

January 11, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • ReligionIs4Dolts

Congenital Defects – There sure is a big list of mistakes that can happen before or during the birth process. What about cerebral palsy, conjoined twins, babies born with holes in their hearts or heart valves that don’t work properly? (Just to name a few!)
      Disease – What about all the evil crap that can happen to you AFTER you’re born? Cancer, ALS, schizophrenia (to name only a few!) What? god couldn’t make cells divide properly so as to prevent cancer? Or god couldn’t make the immune system smart enough to figure out that a cancerous cell was something that needed to be destroyed?

January 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • Rick W.

Simply put, God created a perfect world and then man brought all this other stuff in. Why is that so hard to understand. For you non belivers, he also said he would make it perfect again. Hope to see you then.

January 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • OhPlz

"Simply put, God created a perfect world and then man brought all this other stuff in"

Duh, you're god should have know it would bring this other stuff in. LMAO – guess you're god wasn't so smart after all. LOL!

January 11, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • Primewonk

" Simply put, God created a perfect world and then man brought all this other stuff in."

You god claims omnipotence and omniscience – but to be fair, any god worth his or her salt claims these as well.

So before your god decided to create the universe, he already knew every thing would happen. Your god created Lucifer, knowing that he would turn evil, YET HE GOES AHEAD AND CREATES HIM ANYWAY. In retrospect, this seems like a really stupid idea.

Your god also created humans, knowing they would eat that darn apple. Your god knew they would do this. There is no way your god couldn't know this in advance. So your god set them up for failure. And then had the balls to blame them.

January 11, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Primewonk: Apologists now try to use the dodge that just because god knew something would happen doesn't mean he CAUSED it to happen. This mental somersault allows their god to still be omniscient and us to have our free will.

The problem with this gymnastics display is that their god is also supposed to be infallible. So, at no time is it possible that our actions could ever deviate from what god knows will happen.

Infallibility and omniscience NECESSARILY invalidate free will, but this causes their cognitive dissonance to trip their circuit breaker resulting in a bunch of "mysteriouswaysunknowabledoesnotcompute" babble trying to circle their way around it.

January 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • J.W

I don't know that God has to be perfect. I think that there are gods in other cultures that are not perfect.

January 11, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • ReligionIs4Dolts

Well if one accepts the typical western, Judeo-Christo-fascism, then one believes that "god" wiped out all men, plants and animals when "god" realized he made a mistake and was grieved "he" made man (the story of Noah). Not only is "god" shown to have made a mistake here, because why else would "god" be sorry unless "he" made a mistake, but I wanna know what the plants and animals could have possibly done to p|$$ off "god" to deserve obliteration. Obviously this "god" is a real d|ck!

January 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@J.W: You said, "I don't know that God has to be perfect."

Be careful...they might kick you out of the club. :-)

January 11, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • J.W

Well I am not sure about what I said necessarily but I am just throwing out something to think about. There are times in the Bible when God seems to have regret for things that he does, even though the Bible does not say that God made a mistake or anything like that.

January 11, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • ReligionIs4Dolts

One thing's for sure. There is no way a flood could have killed all animals (because gee, nowadays we actually KNOW about microorganisms which they didn't in those Stone Age times when the bible was written). Also how did a flood kill birds of the air? What about animals that we know can survive on both land and in water? This ancient book is total bunk!
      Genesis 6:6-30 (New International Version)
      6 The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain. 7 So the LORD said, "I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth—men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air—for I am grieved that I have made them."

January 11, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  18. Cody

It is no eaisier to believe we are a cosmic accident than it is to believe in inteligent design.

January 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • HellBent

Our design is not even remotely intelligent, so no, that's actually much harder to swallow.

January 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • Nonimus

Which is a more believable accident, that we exist or that an all powerful invisible supreme being exists?

January 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • Jeebus

There is a design and it is intelligent, but religion defies that intelligence and so does the "God" that it idolizes. You stated that the universe is far more greater than what we can comprehend, so why do you believe and simplify it down to an all powerful invisible being creating it all in 7 days? That context is overly simplified.

January 11, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • Cody

I did not believe the world was created in 7 days. You are putting words in my mouth. I only mentioned intelligent design. I did not even say I thought it was true. I do believe it is a possibility.

January 11, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Primewonk

Intelligent design is nothing more than creationism in a new dress.

You can choose to be purposefully ignorant about science. Or you can choose to learn some basic science. Your call.

January 11, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • SeanNJ

Men have useless nipples. Not much of a design.

January 11, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
  19. ReligionIs4Dolts

Alright! Now my posts are apparently being blocked!

January 11, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • Helpful Hints

ReligionIs4Dolts,

Are you aware of the list of silly word fragments that are flagged by the automatic filter here?

January 11, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
  20. Dean

It's time to play the music
    It's time to light the lights
    It's time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight.

These statistics depress me. Its like that honors econometrics class where the prof says: "look to your left and to your right these are the brightest people in your subject". "One or both of these people will likely fail this class". Now you are in the checkout line at your local grocery and you are eying up the line and thinking half of these people have given themselves over to delusion rather than bother to work it out themselves. I don't think its the lack of capacity to understand. I have to guess its lack of self respect.

January 11, 2012 at 12:03 pm |