home
RSS
January 25th, 2012

Belief Blog's Morning Speed Read for Wednesday, January 25

By Dan Merica, CNN

Here's the Belief Blog’s morning rundown of the top faith-angle stories from around the United States and around the world. Click the headlines for the full stories.

From the Blog:

Like all observant Mormons, Mitt Romney gives 10% of his earnings to his church.

CNN: Romney tax returns shine light on Mormon tithing
Although many Americans may have wondered just how much money Mitt Romney makes and how much taxes he pays in the lead-up to the release Tuesday of his tax documents, there was little suspense around how much he gives to his church.

CNN: Oral Roberts’ son arrested on suspicion of DUI
The son of late evangelist Oral Roberts and former president of Oral Roberts University was arrested early Tuesday on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol and speeding, authorities said.

Tweet of the Day:

From @HuffPostRelig: Worst church singer ever? You decide huff.to/AdbDJz

Enlightening Reads:

New York Times: In Shift, Police Say Leader Helped With Anti-Islam Film and Now Regrets It
The New York City police commissioner, Raymond W. Kelly, through a top aide, acknowledged for the first time on Tuesday that he personally cooperated with the filmmakers of “The Third Jihad” — a decision the commissioner now describes as a mistake.

NPR: Small Bill Outlaws Use of Fetuses In Food Industry
A bill introduced in the Oklahoma Legislature has some folks scratching their heads, as it prohibits "the manufacture or sale of food or products which use aborted human fetuses."

Religion Dispatches: Atheist or Religious, We All Need Good Science
Science is not just for secularists. And it’s not just for Democrats, either. Recent reports from the National Center for Science Education have helped make these points clear.

Catholics News Agency: Washington archbishop testifies against state’s ‘gay marriage’ bill
A Washington state bill that would recognize same-sex “marriage” poses a “grave challenge” to the common good, Archbishop of Seattle J. Peter Sartain warned.

Excerpt of the Day:

President Obama delivered his third State of the Union on Tuesday.

Of course, as we speak, al Qaeda and their affiliates continue to plan attacks against us. Thanks to our intelligence and law enforcement professionals, we are disrupting plots and securing our cities and skies. And as extremists try to inspire acts of violence within our borders, we are responding with the strength of our communities, with respect for the rule of law, and with the conviction that American Muslims are a part of our American family.

President Obama delivered a defiant State of the Union address on Tuesday, stating that “the state of our union is getting stronger.” He mentioned religion a few times, including when he said the above.

Today’s Opinion:

Wall Street Journal: ObamaCare and Religious Freedom
How about some respect for Catholics and others who object to treating pregnancy as a disease? Religious freedom is the lifeblood of the American people, the cornerstone of American government. When the Founding Fathers determined that the innate rights of men and women should be enshrined in our Constitution, they so esteemed religious liberty that they made it the first freedom in the Bill of Rights.

Join the conversation…

CNN: My Take: Why the abortion issue won’t go away
After recently addressing a large secular assembly on issues of moral controversy, I turned and faced a woman who urgently wanted to ask me a question: “Why won’t the abortion issue just go away?”

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. jehovah witness dating

Helpful info. Fortunate me I found your website by accident, and I am surprised why this accident did not happened in advance! I bookmarked it.

April 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
  2. Emo Phillips

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.

January 26, 2012 at 2:34 am |
    • .....

LOL!

January 26, 2012 at 8:02 am |
  3. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
    Sense the joy of God in prayer
    Prayer motivates
    Prayer elevates
    Prayer illuminates
    Prayer really changes things

January 25, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
    • Answer

Much better.. my message really has changed you.

I'm glad. Now if you're not too mentally unstable – tell everybody to quack like a duck like you do at your own residence.

January 25, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
    • Nope

We've been praying you would stop posting this crap, yet it continues, proving prayer doesn't work.

January 25, 2012 at 5:45 pm |

one word towards God is worth more than 20 billion atheist rants

January 25, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
    • Nope

"one word towards God is worth more than 20 billion atheist rants"

Lying is a sin moron.

January 25, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • Answer

@just sayin

Glad you acknowledge the pure 20 billion in numbers. See your kind are obviously the inferior.

January 25, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • just sayin

the point dip sh it is that God is vastly superior to any repet itive bull sh it you can come up with. Thick as a brick and about as smart

January 25, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
    • Answer

@just sayin

Have you seen god make a point in your lifetime? lol

Certainly hasn't shown himself has he?

January 25, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
    • just sayin

being wrong should be getting wearying for you by now answer. God has been an essential and active participant and friend in my life for my entire lifetime.

January 26, 2012 at 7:56 am |
    • Nope

"God has been an essential and active participant and friend in my life for my entire lifetime."

Nope, it's only a chemical reaction in your brain and that can be proven, your God cannot be proved dip shit.

January 26, 2012 at 8:01 am |
  4. J.W

Does anyone else besides me think that Gabrielle Giffords is very pretty?

January 25, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
    • Wayne Campbell

I think that Bugs Bunny is hot when he wears a dress.

January 25, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Do you imagine I'm pretty J.W. ?

January 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • J.W

Tom Tom I picture you as some crazy gothic chick.

January 25, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • J.W

but probably a good looking one

January 25, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • ɯɐs əlqɐlloɹʇ

I'd have guessed 40ish and kind of grumpy...but presentable

January 25, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • onehippypoet

tom tom the pipers son
      stole a pig and
      now who can tell
      which one is
      the better looking

January 25, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
  5. Staring Horse with Tongue Sticking Out

@just sayin
    Where is the spiritual realm? I am not saying it does not exist, but I don't now how to find it. I imagine if it existed it would be a different dimension altogether. Of course if we did find it, it would no longer be "spiritual" it would be real, thus science could explain it. Regardless, I am unable to access it at this time. Thus having knowledge of this place is impossible based on the facts. So when you tell others that their knowledge of the "Spiritual Realm" is lacking, what does that mean? What do you know that we don't know?

January 25, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • Answer

They don't ever know. They'll make up sh-it explanations to everything – that is being religious for ya.

January 25, 2012 at 5:56 pm |
  6. llɐq ʎʞɔnq

settled by the Norse...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normans

January 25, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • llɐq ʎʞɔnq

sorry, this belongs somewhere else...

January 25, 2012 at 11:37 am |
    • Staring Horse with Tongue Sticking Out

That is ok BB, we all get lost somethimes.

January 25, 2012 at 11:47 am |
  7. Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer causes small kids to get hit by buses when they aren't paying attention.
    Prayer takes people away from actually working on real solutions to their problems.
    Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
    Prayer fucks up your knees and your back.
    Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
    Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
    Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
    Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
    Prayer makes you hoard cats.
    Prayer makes you crave the smell of kitty litter and leads you on to harder drugs.
    Prayer wastes time.

January 25, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • Prayer Turned Me Into A Newt!

I got better.

January 25, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • Answer

Your compet-i-tion is losing the battle to promote prayers by cutting and pasting only one line at a time.

I guess you're having an effect on his sanity. Keep up the good work. 🙂

January 25, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • No Fear

When Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things begins to flag I've got a script that can do the same thing. He/She will always be with you.

Prayer changes things
      Prayer with God
      Answers every question
      And opens life mysteries
      Prayer changes things

January 25, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • Answer

@No Fear

Yah sure. People will die and then sh-it happens.

January 25, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
  8. Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer causes small kids to get hit by buses when they aren't paying attention.
    Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
    Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
    Prayer fucks up your knees and your back.
    Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
    Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
    Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
    Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
    Prayer makes you hoard cats.
    Prayer wastes time.

January 25, 2012 at 10:52 am |
    • bringoutyourdead

The concept of prayer causes demons to declare foolishness

January 25, 2012 at 10:53 am |
  9. Donald Thomas

Dan's article quotes "...Mormon's take care of their own." Full Chrisianity, including my denomination, allows for taking care of society at large, for those in need of support.

January 25, 2012 at 10:03 am |

I recommend Oxfam: http://www.oxfam.org

January 25, 2012 at 10:18 am |
    • Staring Horse with Tongue Sticking Out

Every Christmas all the adults in my family get a donation from to Oxfam on their behalf. It is a great tradition our family has and Oxfam is awsome.

January 25, 2012 at 11:49 am |
  10. hippypoet

ok heres my question for ironicus (others can answer this too if they so please) – its a friday, the 13th of october, the year is 1066 ... you have one day to live as far as your concerned ...the viking hordes are coming and will be here by tomorows morning – what do you do?(your reasoning is that so far no one has stood against a viking and lived, so you believe yourself to only have one day left on earth) your belief system is christian under the authority of the pope in Rome so sucide is not an option.

everyone else:
    ok now here is a question for all who are not a.nal about details that don't really make any difference on your choice of what to do only what you can do, but thats limiting and no fun so ..... here goes – if you were given the choice of live forever on earth or walk with the gods in heaven, what would you do and why?

January 25, 2012 at 9:33 am |
    • Brad

I believe I have chosen to walk with God in heaven, but my salvation is a work in progress. Why do I want to walk with God in heaven? Generally just a longing with to be with the one who creates and created everything. All questions answered. Infinitely more questions that I could not even frame posed and answered. Paradise for the curious, basically. Eternal life on Earth? Eternity is a long time. Eventually you know every grain of sand, and you've seen everything there is to see and know what to expect at every moment. Earth is like a finite subset of what heaven is.

January 25, 2012 at 9:45 am |
    • Mirosal

an interesting date you picked. I wouldn't happen to be in ... say ... England then would I? lol But I wouldn't be worried about viking hordes at that time, that threat is pretty much done with. I'd be worried about my neighbors across the Channel to the east. Oct 14th, 1066 is a key date in world history. I would pick to be on Earth, at least until the sun cools down and expands in a few million years The other choice would be me no longer existing.

January 25, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • myweightinwords

That would have to depend on the gods in question, I think. And the definition of heaven.

If we are talking strictly the Judeo-Christian heaven and god, I'll take earth. If you possibly mean any other version of gods and afterlife, well, I'd have to judge those individually....but chances are I'd still choose to walk the earth (provided, of course, that immortality brings with it certain benefits...being 1000 years old and looking/feeling 1000 years old? no thanks) .

Just imagine the things you could witness and explore. The development of humanity, technological advances. Consider the people you could know, the love you could experience. It would be amazing.

January 25, 2012 at 10:26 am |
    • SeanNJ

@hippypoet: "if you were given the choice of live forever on earth or walk with the gods in heaven, what would you do and why?"

Can I pick neither? I could really, really do without the whole "eternity" thing. At some point, it's got to turn into "Groundhog Day," doesn't it?

January 25, 2012 at 10:27 am |
    • J.W

I would choose to go to heaven. It must be better than earth, or why would even be called heaven. You said walk with the gods in heaven. I would spend most of my time with my own God, but I actually hope there are other gods there too, and maybe each religion has their own section in heaven and then there is a common area. Maybe even atheists will have a heaven too and they can be with Stephen Hawking and study science all day.

January 25, 2012 at 10:33 am |
    • hippypoet

@Mirosal – they were norse.. the army came from modern day normandy which was then given as part of a treaty of peace with the vikings to the vikings by the french king outta fear. The man who lead the army was infact owed the throne of england by the late king......

from a website – source below
      Eadweard was the eldest of the children born to King Æthelred Unræd and Emma, daughter of Richard, duke of the Normans. In 1013, Æthelred and his family were forced to flee into exile when Sweyn seized the English throne. Eadweard lived in Normandy until 1041, when he was called back to England by his half-brother, King Harthacnut. In some way Eadweard was @ssociated with the kingship [4], but he was not consecrated during Harthacnut's lifetime. When the latter suddenly died on 8 Jun 1042, the royal council (witan) elected Eadweard as his successor. He was consecrated on Easter (3 Apr 1043) by Archbishop Edsige. Relying on the support of earls Leofric and Godwine, Eadweard stripped his powerful mother of her property and influence. He married Edith, daughter of Godwine, who continuously dominated the reign of his son-in-law until 1051. This year Godwine and his sons were banished for opposing the king's Norman favorites. In 1051 William, duke of Normandy (future King William the Conqueror) paid Eadweard a visit during which the king may have promised William succession to the English throne, but it was never proved. Godwine and his sons returned with an army in 1052 and were pardoned. With the death of Godwine (15 Apr 1053), his son, Earl Harold (later King Harold), took over the administration of kingdom as Eadweard devoted himself to religion and church affairs. In 1054 the English army invaded Scotland to secure the succession of Malcolm III, who was eventually installed as King of Scots in 1058. Harold led a number of raids against the Welsh and distinguished himself in the battles. Eadweard had no children and his nephew, the son of King Eadmund Ironside, Eadweard the Exile, was recalled from his exile in 1057. His sudden death soon after his arrival in England left Harold as the most probable candidate to the throne. Eadweard suffered a stroke in 1065 and died soon after the consecration of Westminster Abbey (28 Dec 1065).

so you see that they were still very much viking in nature even thou they have been becoming more and more french in diplomacy.

@OTHERS- i said gods, not god – yes i stated that you were a christian in the top part but not in the second...if i am going to accecpt the existence of one then i accecpt the existence of all.

January 25, 2012 at 10:33 am |
    • Brad

Curiosity – I see that the word "surrender" is creating a problem here. What we want is to be able to exercise our will without reference to anything that is not of our making. That is what we surrender, not our free will. Through prayer and study of the writings of people who've been through all this before we try to find a new reference for our actions.

January 25, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • An inconvenient truth

You didn't say where you were but October 1066 wasn't a viking raid, it was the time of the Norman invasion of England.

January 25, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • hippypoet

@inconvenient , you make me laugh – where do think the word norman came from? Norse man – norman... land of the norse, norse land – normandy – its the frankish that made it so, but the french that kept it. Its the viking invasion of europe and the french king giving them the land they had pretty much already taken, now the french call it the norse land – modern day normandy.... they were viking by blood, they still had nordic ties and relations with denmark and norway as well as other places in the north...scandinavia and the like.... but why do research and know things right?

January 25, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • just sayin

By 1066 the Normans were no more vikings, than the Americans of 2012 would be considered Europeans. Nice dodge though.

January 25, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • Actually

"By 1066 the Normans were no more vikings, than the Americans of 2012 would be considered Europeans. "

My extended family still lives in Europe even though we are 2nd generation here so we still consider ourselves a European family. Just out of curiosity are you Irish, Italian, Greek, Asian, etc?

January 25, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • llɐq ʎʞɔnq

Norman...Normandy...France. 😈

January 25, 2012 at 11:16 am |
    • hippypoet

@just sayin and anyone else who thinks normans are not viking – please tell me how long it takes for one to completely lose there bloodline when in a day and age when nothing else mattered more then bloodline and heritage!

lol, right so when the Treaty of Saint Clair-sur-Epte was signed in 911 they became instantly not viking – or since the NORMAN invasion takes place a mere 155 years later they are now totally different from there originals? yeah, i think its not me who is a bit dodgy.... i hate to be the one to tell you this BUT the vikings kept coming to settle in the new land they owned in europe called normandy and its all thanks to a viking named Rollo – not the candy... lol

so how far is your head stuck up your @ss? up to the elbows i think... stupidity is amougst us – beware!

January 25, 2012 at 11:23 am |
    • The Maurey Povich Bible Show

Brad,

The problem with all that, "walking with God", "creating", "eternal life", "eternity is a long TIME", is that you assume that the dimension of space-time, (which began at the Big Bang), is ALSO the dimension in which it's creator exists.

a. You have absolutely no way of knowing that,
      b. a creator would have to "exist" apart from and above it's creation, and
      c. if your god was the creator of it, (and ALSO exists in it), how could it "exist" IN it, and still be it's creator.

There is the infinite regression problem, which no theist has ever answered, apart from that simple minded, 3rd grade, "walking with god" crap.

You people never examine what you are saying.

January 25, 2012 at 11:29 am |
    • SeanNJ

Let me get this straight. You guys are arguing to which nationality a group of people that lived 1000 years ago would most readily identify?

I can't handle this place today. I have navel lint to contemplate.

January 25, 2012 at 11:29 am |
    • The French

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8yjNbcKkNY&w=420&h=315]

January 25, 2012 at 11:34 am |
    • DamianKnight

@Sean,

Agree.

January 25, 2012 at 11:37 am |
    • hippypoet

yeah, i am sorry that what could have been a sweet convo turned into some argument whether or not the normans are infact vikings..... it makes me sad inside, but outside i am laughing at the silliness of it all. lol

anyway – i would chose to go to heaven if it exists. there i can see the world change and ask all sorts of god-needed questions. Plus there would be every god ever created so all my questions on history, space, time,human origin – they could all be answered – i only need to ask the right questions to the correct god. that would be totally awesome! i like the idea of living forever on earth only thing is how do you get along with anyone – to better understand what i mean there is a movie, its a very good one too – its called "the man from earth" please watch it, it gives a really cool outter land perspective on all the things we think of when we discuss history – it also has what i thought was my idea about how jesus stole his message from the buddha – seriously – watch it. "The man from Earth"

January 25, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • Staring Horse with Tongue Sticking Out

Naturally I would build a tower that cold reach to heaven so I could go back and forth. If that is not an option, I would opt to walk the Earth. I think I would start a National Park system.....

January 25, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • DamianKnight

I think the hardest thing about living forever would be watching everyone you know and love die around you. That would be so rough.

Plus, I would get BORED. There are only so many experiences you can have and so much knowledge you can obtain.

January 25, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • Zombie Squirrels Will Feast On Your Nuts!

Neither. Life is fine as it is.

January 25, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
    • J.W

If you walked on earth forever would you continue to age throughout the years? Or would you be a healthy adult the whole time? And what if something happened and you were paralyzed and you had to live that way forever? I actually hope that I get to go to heaven but then have an option of being reincarnated and living life again.

January 25, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
    • hippypoet

those are good questions J.W, i'd say living forever as you are... and i'd also say that since you are forever so you don't get sick, hurt, that kinda thing – you will see the end of days first hand but after the destruction of earth – thats an unknown event so from there is where i leave it to you and your imagination. 🙂

January 25, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • J.W

Yeah and if you were still alive when the earth ended you would see what happened after that. I would think the whole landscape of our solar system would change at that point. But assuming that everything does not end at that point, would life evolve on another planet in our solar system? Or will earth be all there is as far as life in this solar system?

January 25, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • Ironicus

Hey hippypoet, I see you are still struggling to think up good questions.
      Why don't you tell me why should I even give a fuck about your goofy-ass questions other than to heap scorn upon them and you?
      A Catholic stuck in front of invading Viking hordes...well, well, well....why should I give a fuck? Seriously!

Here, I can come up with retarded questions too: Let's say you're a small mollusc-like creature busy eating disgusting food in the ocean off the coast of France in 1066 and the Vikings are going to step on you as they get in their boats.
      What do you do? How would you feel about it? Why should I care and why should you answer? You are fucking clueless, man. Just fucking clueless....

And living forever?
      What? Are you retarded? Yes, I think you are retarded.
      You are surely the most idiotic person I've seen in a while.
      "Forever" is a stupid word to use. You are a stupid idiot to use such a word.

And "gods"? Really? There are no gods. I guess you just want to win the ultimate retard award or something.
      Well I'm sorry to say that there are people like fred / George / etc. waaay ahead of you, so quit trying to cut in front of everybody – don't you know that's rude?

January 25, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • hippypoet

oh ironicus – i do find it very interesting that for all your statements against my questions its still only you that seems to take issue with either word useage or lack of parameters to give a so called proper answer – the problem if all but you see none is infact you.
      And just so ya know, that question was for you. I never said you had to answer it nor could i make you – yet here you are...like a dog to its masters call. You sir are a tool, and i have just used you as such. 🙂
      At the very least you could have tried answering it...but i guess the word forever threw you for a loop. And yes, i meant the word forever – should i have said for all eternity....here lets take a look at the definitions of the two words.
      eternity: Infinite or unending time
      forever: For all future time; for always

yup, huge difference – i guess your right, only a stupid idiot would use such a word....you got me!

As for the god(s) part, i was inquiring on the idea of eternal existence and that kinda goes hand in hand with nearly every god story ever told and since most people adhere to some system of belief it would be silly of me to leave that aspect of it out when its exactly that (stories of gods) which gave rise to such notions of eternal life in the first place!

you sir truly must have nothing better to do with your time then to attempt at misleading others with meaningless comments.
      shoo.

January 25, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • Ironicus

LOL
      You started this with a post directed at me and you call me a tool? LOL
      You are so easy to troll. You just can't leave it alone, can you?

You keep trying to justify your idiotic ramblings but they remain idiotic and rambling.
      You win today's FuckTard Award. I look on you the same way I do fred – a totally clueless fucktard.
      Congratulations...now you and fred can have sex in the FuckTard Honeymoon Suite at your nearest Motel 6....
      lol
      And thanks for proving me right. You couldn't have done it without me. lol

January 25, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • Ironicus

******FUCKTARD AWARD FOR JANUARY 25TH, 2012******

Given to ___hippypoet____ for idiocy and cluelessness above and beyond the call of trolling this day.

Signed,

Ironicus, the Definitely Smarter Than You Guy.

January 25, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • Ironicus

lol

January 25, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
    • hippypoet

ok....you win....darn! perahps the fact that i was asking these innerself questions long before this blog and on it before you were commenting on anything of mine.... just a thought.. no big thou – your the winner, yay.

i still have the nagging question of how is it that you are able to post such words?

January 25, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • Ironicus

*sigh*

hippypoet, I could teach you, but I'd have to charge...

January 25, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
    • Ironicus

Uh, hippypoet, I wasn't seriously hatin' on you, really. Just your craziness.
      Just hoping to get through with f-bombs when my sarcasm didn't make a dent in your, um, whatever-youcallit.
      I just don't have any patience with fools like you. See? I can't help it.
      I like you okay but when you talk like a brain-damaged yak at a tie-dye festival I just want to pull out my hair and kick you in the ass for being so densely air-headed!
      Trippin out on possibilities should be done in your head. Bringing them out does not translate well into words.
      When you pose an indefinite question, you get indefinite results.
      And you just wanted a stage for your "point" or desired "answer" to your question as we saw with your later posts.
      Why didn't you just say what you were hoping someone else would say?
      We aren't psychic. We don't know what the hell you are talking about.
      Why? Because you left out those sorts of details!!
      So I get angry at your belly-button question that only you "know" the answer to....why don't you just spit it out and quit playing 20,000 Questions?
      If you want to play "I've got a secret answer to this secret question" why don't you do that with your friends while drinking?
      I've met people like you at parties. I have friends like you. It still p1sses me off.
      I can "agree" with you and humor you and say, "Yes, isn't it nice to wonder about whatever" instead of asking you why you think other people are psychic just because you're wasted and tripping on a personal trip into philosophy and speculation.

You can say "what if" all you want. I think it is a waste of time unless you come up with useful answers...and you can't do that if no one knows what dictionary you are using for some of your words or what you are "getting at" which is why you apparently asked the question in the first place. So keep it in your head. They know you there.
      The rest of us can only guess at what you're talking about.
      But I like your other posts. Sorry I blasted at you. Unless you're going to keep on doing that stuff. Then I don't give a shlt.

January 26, 2012 at 2:47 am |
  11. HotAirAce

There is not good reason to say "(some) god must have done it!" when we don't understand something.

There is no good reason to blame demons for bad behaviour or mental illness (such as believing in gods, demons, angels, etc.).

January 25, 2012 at 9:30 am |
    • Mirosal

@ Brad .... no amount of prayer will work, because this 'god' of theirs is supposed to be omniscient, knowing ALL .. past present and future. The outcome is already known, therefore prayer is useless, the game is already rigged. And if this god's mind can be changed by prayer, then it is not omniscient, and x-tards' doctrine is flawed from the start. Don't you love a good paradox?

January 25, 2012 at 9:37 am |
    • Brad

Kierkegaard believed in an unchangeable God (omniscient, of course). Prayer has a purpose with such a God: to align one's own will with God's will.

"O Thou who in infinite love dost submit to be moved, may this our prayer also move Thee to add Thy blessing, in order that there may be wrought such a change in him who prays as to bring him into conformity with Thy unchangeable will, Thou who are unchangeable!"

January 25, 2012 at 9:53 am |
    • Brad

Sorry HotAirAce – that was for Mirosal.

January 25, 2012 at 9:54 am |
    • Mirosal

according tot that, prayer isn't changing 'god', you are simply changing yourself. Nothing else is different, other than you now giving up your own control and are now willing to be a servant to something that no one can prove is there in the first place. Pretty weak-minded .. I'd bet you'd fall for a Jedi mind trick.

January 25, 2012 at 10:04 am |
    • JA

@Mirosal,

God doesn't just know the outcome of the future, but also the cause of that outcome. For example, If He is truly omniscient, then He already knew you were going to pray and made His decision upon that prayer. Ever think about it that way?

January 25, 2012 at 10:07 am |
    • Brad

That is the challenge, Mirosal – to surrender to the one that created everything. Not to become a robot, but to have a will that operates in accord with God's. And you are correct, no one can prove that God exists.

January 25, 2012 at 10:16 am |
    • Mirosal

then you surrender free will. You're just following orders ... can you say 'Nuremberg'?

January 25, 2012 at 10:19 am |
    • Brad

Not just follow them Mirosal, agree with them.

January 25, 2012 at 10:22 am |
    • Mirosal

@ JA .. this 'god' is supposed t know all.. even before you were born .. if 'god' chose the outcome because he knew you were going to pray about it, then 'god' did not know the outcome at one time, and therefore was not omniscient at that point, because 'he' had to pick one or the other, yes or no, one or zero

January 25, 2012 at 10:24 am |
    • Curiosity killed the heretic

@Brad,

Why did god give us free will if he prefers that we don't actually use it?

January 25, 2012 at 10:25 am |
    • Mirosal

@ Brad .. not JUST follow, but agreeing ... then you just became that robot, and are blind to all else. You'd no longer question the 'why?' of it and just go along.

January 25, 2012 at 10:28 am |
    • Brad

Curiosity – I guess I haven't been clear. We have free wiil. Properly our will should agree with God's will. In fact, we usually fail in that regard – we call that sin. Why do we have free will at all? We are not a meaningful creation without it, because without it we are simply extensions of God – sock puppets.

January 25, 2012 at 10:36 am |
    • Curiosity killed the heretic

@Brad, either you're not understanding the question, or your avoiding it.

Why would god give us anything that he wants us to surrender. Do you often give gifts hoping that they'll be given right back?

January 25, 2012 at 10:40 am |
    • Brad

Mirosal – hence prayer. In prayer we actively try to find God's will and this also involves trying to understand the "why" of things. People do go wrong with this – literalists and fundamentalists often don't ask enough questions, or the right questions.

January 25, 2012 at 10:44 am |
    • just sayin

Your lack of knowledge of the spiritual realm is showing

January 25, 2012 at 10:52 am |

(Sorry, wrong thread)

January 25, 2012 at 10:58 am |
    • Curiosity killed the heretic

Is there a way to gain knowledge of the 'spiritual realm' without consulting ancient books? Or thinking the way that you do? Because I imagine that there are a lot of people who would claim to have spiritual knowledge that you would COMPLETELY disagree with.

January 25, 2012 at 11:00 am |
    • Brad

Curiosity just sayin may have more to say about that. I'm off. Enjoyed it.

January 25, 2012 at 11:06 am |

Prayer

January 25, 2012 at 11:06 am |
    • Staring Horse with Tongue Sticking Out

@just sayin
      Where is the spiritual realm? I am not saying it does not exist, but I don't now how to find it. I imagine if it existed it would be a different dimension altogether. Of course if we did find it, it would no longer be "spiritual" it would be real, thus science could explain it. Regardless, I am unable to access it at this time. Thus having knowledge of this place is impossible based on the facts. So when you tell others that their knowledge of the "Spiritual Realm" is lacking, what does that mean? What do you know that I don't know?

January 25, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • just sayin

we are made in the image of God, three persons mind, body, spirit, we are all spirits within a physical shell. The spiritual realm is eternal and is most active when indwelt by the Holy Spirit of God. This occurs when we accept Jesus as our savior in faith by grace. The obvious is our physical nature which overshadows our spiritual due to our physical state and needs. There are times and places we realize an earnest or glimpse of our spiritual beings, those times in life we experience things that are beyond the realm of our bodies and minds. The recognition of spiritual things is further complicated by evil spirits or demons who are temporarily loosed and causing deception and evil to be promoted . Those who actively oppose God run the risk of injuring their spirits or soul to the point of death. Death is within the realm and authority of demons (Satan for example disputed the archangel Michael over the body of Moses) The dead spirit can be healed and resurrected by the Lord Jesus Christ if we but turn to Him.

January 25, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
    • Answer

@just sayin

Whole lot of bullsh-it going on.

January 25, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
    • Duh

"The spiritual realm is eternal and is most active when indwelt by the Holy Spirit of God. "

There is no proof of that.

January 25, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
  12. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

January 25, 2012 at 6:22 am |
    • LinCA

I call bullshit.

January 25, 2012 at 6:36 am |
    • bringoutyourdead

demons get vulgar at the mention of prayer

January 25, 2012 at 6:49 am |
    • Mirosal

Neither prayer nor demons are real ... I think "bringout" really IS afraid of demons .. silly boy probably has a Mickey Mouse night-light next to his crib

January 25, 2012 at 7:20 am |
    • another repentant sinner

Both prayer and demons are real

January 25, 2012 at 7:50 am |
    • DNA test please

Itchy and Scratchy are real.

January 25, 2012 at 7:59 am |
    • Nope

We've been praying you would stop posting this crap and it continues so prayer doesn't work.

Plus when you factor in people are praying to have their starvation to end, yet millions die everyday, so prayer doesn't work.

January 25, 2012 at 8:01 am |
    • just sayin

nope it was explained to you days ago are you incapable of learning?

January 25, 2012 at 8:03 am |
    • TruthPrevails

Actually we have proof now that demons are real...after all Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things & its other counterparts from the insane asylum keep posting their delusions.

January 25, 2012 at 8:05 am |
    • Nope

"nope it was explained to you days ago are you incapable of learning?"

And you were shown why you are WRONG don't you learn?

January 25, 2012 at 8:05 am |
    • Mirosal

you're still on that tangent? Killing your living breathing children is a crime, a heinous one. Abortion is NOT a crime, but you cannot see that distinction.

January 25, 2012 at 8:07 am |
    • bringoutyourdead

demons get desperate and confused at the thought of prayer

January 25, 2012 at 8:36 am |
    • Duh...

"demons get desperate and confused at the thought of prayer"

Only a delusional idiot would say something as silly as this statement.

Prove your self-made demons are real. LOL!

January 25, 2012 at 8:38 am |

January 25, 2012 at 8:43 am |
    • TruthPrevails

All of you christards are such hypocrites!!! Look at what you say here and how negative you are being...I'm sure your god (not that you can ever provide evidence for its existence) is planning your life with those demons you so readily believe exist. Try living in the 21st century with some updated evidence instead of in accordance with a book that most of you have no clue about (who wrote it? who inspired it?-saying god to this requires evidence and if you use the buybull, you are truly lying...are you 100% certain this god exists?-if you answer yes to this, you have just shown that you can't be trusted)

January 25, 2012 at 8:49 am |
    • Mirosal

what IS it with this guy and demons? I think he should time-ravel to 1692 Salem, Mass. .. he'll fit in well there. No such thing as demons, and prayer is useless, because according to your doctrines, the 'game' is already rigged.

January 25, 2012 at 8:49 am |
    • Brad

Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things: Whose prayers will God hear and by whose prayers will God be moved?

January 25, 2012 at 9:25 am |

January 25, 2012 at 10:50 am |
    • Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
      Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
      Prayer fu
      cks up your knees and your back.
      Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
      Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
      Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
      Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
      Prayer makes you hoard cats.
      Prayer wastes time.

January 25, 2012 at 10:53 am |
    • Duh

"Proof for demons existence and control are posted here every day by folks like you."

Lying is a sin moron and that is just an excuse for the fact you have no proof of demons.

January 25, 2012 at 11:23 am |
    • Nope

"Prayer is conversation with God , God hears all prayers, the prayers of a righteous man avails much"

Nope, that's why righteous people are still starving to death as their prayers go unanswered.

January 25, 2012 at 11:24 am |
    • just sayin

it has been explained to nope several times that we are given the responsibility for feeding the hungry by God. There is not much more to explain to him as it is unable or unwilling to comprehend.

January 25, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
    • Nope

"it has been explained to nope several times that we are given the responsibility for feeding the hungry by God. "

And it's been explained to you that they are still praying and those prayers continue to go unanswered, proving your God can't even get you stupid Christians to get off your butts and do something about it. Guess you're not talking to a God, it's your ego instead.

January 25, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • SeanNJ

Apparently, god outsources, just like Romney.

January 25, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • just sayin

Those of us that have are responsible for the have nots. When a segment ducks their responsibility, you for example, then that portion of need goes without. In all natural and atheist created disasters the people of God are always first with food and aid to the needy often because the church is already there working day by day with the local peoples. Enjoy your next McDonalds

January 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • Duh

“In all natural and atheist created disasters the people of God are always first with food and aid to the needy often because the church is already there working day by day with the local peoples.”

So convenient that you ignore that atheists are also there too, your judgmental prejudice ego is why this world is in the crapper.

“Enjoy your next McDonalds”

Never had McDonalds, what is it?

January 25, 2012 at 5:55 pm |