Editor's Note: Congressman Keith M. Ellison represents Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District and co-chairs the Congressional Progressive Caucus.
By Rep. Keith M. Ellison, Special to CNN
Recent news that the New York Police Department presented the film “The Third Jihad” to nearly 1,500 officers is only the latest example of anti-Muslim training materials being used in ways that harm our national security.
The film baselessly contends that “the true agenda of much of Islam in America” is to “infiltrate and dominate America,” smearing a religion that has been part of this country since its founding. Incidents like these sound the alarm on the need for greater transparency and oversight of counterterrorism training at all levels of government.
The NYPD’s use of “The Third Jihad” is disturbing because it leaves officers with the impression that American Muslims are the enemy, not an ally against terrorism. This notion hurts the ability of law enforcement to do its job. No one knows this better than the brave officers who have stood up to such bigotry – it was NYPD officers who objected to the screening of the film, just as it was FBI agents who recently objected to using equally harmful training materials at the bureau.
“The Third Jihad” was produced by the Clarion Fund, a group that lacks national security credentials but is flush with cash. Far-right wing donors gave the Clarion Fund $18 million between 2001 and 2009 to drive their political agenda through Islamophobic films. The group mailed its last film, “Obsession: Radical Islam’s War Against the West,” to 28 million swing state voters weeks before the 2008 election.
The who’s who of the Islamophobic fringe leads the Clarion Fund. During the 2008 presidential campaign, one Clarion advisory board member advanced the conspiracy theory that then-Senator Barack Obama was secretly a Muslim (as if it should matter).
Another Clarion board member has said that “Most mosques in the United States are actually engaged in – or at least supportive of – a totalitarian, seditious agenda they call Sharia.” Americans of all political stripes, including former Bush Administration officials, have dismissed these extreme statements
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said that whoever approved the request for Commissioner Raymond Kelly to appear in the film “exercised some terrible judgment.” The mayor is right. Not since D.W. Griffiths’ racially charged “The Birth of a Nation” made in 1915 has a film sought to stoke so much fear about one group of American citizens.
Now more than ever, it is critical that law enforcement build relationships with the Muslim community to better fight against terrorism. In my hometown of Minneapolis, the relationship between law enforcement and the Muslim community is so strong that international dignitaries have visited to learn about our model. Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak has said he was able to solve several high-profile crimes only because Muslim community members voluntarily came forward to share information with the police.
The great majority of national security experts view American Muslims as partners – and for good reason. A study last year by the Triangle Center on Terrorism and Homeland Security showed that most tips regarding domestic terrorism come from the American Muslim community (the American Muslim who tipped off police about the attempted car bombing of Times Square in 2010 is one such example. The Triangle Center reported last week that terrorism by American Muslims poses a “minuscule” threat – not a single one of last year’s almost 17,000 murders was a result of Islamic extremism.
Ensuring the public trust is critical to fighting terrorism. As Attorney General Eric Holder said in 2010, “the cooperation of Muslim and Arab-American communities has been absolutely essential in identifying, and preventing, terrorist threats.” American Muslims are well positioned to identify potential terrorists, but it’s harder to win their trust when police departments partner with the CIA to conduct surveillance, train officers to view Muslims as terrorists, or spy on Muslims purely because of their religion.
Trust can be restored only if law enforcement agencies hold individuals accountable for using prejudicial materials and create new mechanisms that ensure transparency and rigorous oversight. The result will be not only a more just society, but a safer one.
The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Rep. Keith M. Ellison.
More people are killed by Islamists each year than in all 350 years of the Spanish Inquisition combined.
hahaha did you snort some more coke? ill put 50 cents towards you buying a history book.
Sure islam is a religion of peace. there is a piece of you over here, and a piece of you over there.
All religions are silly and clearly man made, but islam is the worst and most dangerous.
If Rep. Ellison actually believes what he is reading in that book he should ask himself some serious questions.
The koran isnt much more than expensive toilet paper
yea its very dangerous, even though their extremists kill fewer than the number gangs kill or the number we the west have killed in recent wars.
Islam was not in America since it's founding. If you may recall from history class the first settlers were Puritans from England. If Muslims were always in America then I am the pope and you are a magical flying bunny-pig.
The first settlers were not part of the founding of America nuts for brains.
Are you still basing your understanding of American history on the colorful little books they gave you in 3rd grade? Nice.
Arguably america, as a nation, was founded in 1776 after the declaration of independence.
The Jamestown settlers were money grubbing gold diggers (literally). There was nothing remarkable about they except they were stupid and lazy. Perhaps you are a direct descendent of them? They did not found the United States. Sorry.
At the time of the founding of the country there were, according to the US government, hundreds and perhaps thousands of musilums.
Then, unlike now, our founding fathers fought for the freedom for musilims. This was a big issue during the founding of the country. Do you recall the treaty of Tripoli? It might make good reading for you.
only 200,000 people died in the crusades over 200 years.....muslims killed 5 million xtians armenians in a holocausty
200,000 vs 5 milliion.....not to mention the 15 milllion hundus the muslims butcherd....dont ever use the crusades to defend the evil of muslims there is no comparison
Where are you getting your numbers from? A fortune cookie?
history book thats where
name of book, author, and page
stop inventing your own numbers.
so you are not aware one bit of the armenian genocide? that france just last month made it a crime to say it didnt happen.....becuase turkey refuses to put it in thier history books and refusses to apogize for the genocide,,,,,because eerything that happens is the will of alllah..............you never heard of it huh?
1111 so you are not aware one bit of the armenian genocide? that france just last month made it a crime to say it didnt happen.....becuase turkey refuses to put it in thier history books and refusses to apogize for the genocide,,,,,because eerything that happens is the will of alllah..............you never heard of it huh?
genocides, warfare, and conflict happen everywhere and between everyone. its not a muslim thing. its a human thing.
yoiur not bright are you? the fact you have never heard about he muslims killing the 5 million xtian armenians in a genocide where they killed man women child...........makes you a little slow huh? the fact you dont eve know france pasted a law about ti makes youi dumb huh?
turkey didnt say it refuses to accept it because its the will of allah. they say they dont agree with the numbers and that there was no policy of genocide and that similar numbers died on both side. when you make up your own facts serious people tend to shrug your importance. I dont know enough about the turkey and armenia issue. the point is whether or not it happened, its not because of islam, but because of politics and resources. just like all wars.
roger not only are you the one whos dumb but frankly youre a lunatic. when did i say i dont know about the turkish and armenian conflict or about france's recent law? buffoon.
so the jewish holocauset according your infinite wisdom was just part of war and to be expected.
you must be bipolar, we were talking about turkey and armenia. who said anything about the holocaust?
Pllus once again, I said that I don't have an opinion on the armenian issue as I dont know enough. thats what sane and normal people do. they wait till they have more info before parroting arguements they hear.
mo did he said that there is no genocide in war its just conflict cupcake
when did i say theres no genocide in war? do yourself a favor and enrol in an english comprehension class.
Oh sure. You know you cannot just go calling people (Islam) a threat just because they do things that terrorize you. They don't mean nuthin by it. You know like diving into NYC buildings and having underwear bombs and all. It's just their culture. Like if you saw an Amazon guy with a shrunken head you could not just get upset about that. That's how he lives (you know?). They've been doing it for a thousand years. So they have a right to keep doing don't they? You have to learn to let others do what they do. You cannot impose your white shirt and tie culture on them. Next thing you'd expect them to read and write and do algebra. What kind of respect is that?
Are you simply dumb or on drugs? The muslim community tips off law enforcement on crazy individuals and have been responsible for foiling plots in America.
He is being ironic.
Arabs invented algebra, and perserved mathematics during the european dark ages.
So, we owe the arabs (who are mostly musilums ) a great debt.
IIf Islam is a religion of peace why do they kill other Muslims with such frequency and violence? Yes I am aware of the IRA and Christians killing Christians but it is no where near the level of death and destruction. Even if the west converted to Islam, Muslims over sea's would still want to kill us because we would be the wrong kind of Muslim. It is written in the Koran that it is their duty to terrorize and persecute non-Muslims and to kill a non-Muslim is not considered murder. How can we trust?
And please... don't go back hundreds or thousands of years to tell me Christians killed Muslims too. I know but it does not make killing ok now. BTW we (as in "the west")did save Muslims in serbia from being slaughtered... no kudos for that though :(
The same way followers from all other religions, which are about peace, kill people too
You're not an expert on the koran because you read something somewhere. You need to study history and contect. Historians will tell you that those passages were in reference to conflicts occurring at the time, as muslims were being persecuted by the pagain arabs
You said historians " what book, page number and author".
Let me guess you forgot, or just making facts up.
Here's a source for you http://www.the religionofpeace.com they keep a talley of attacks and murders.
Now excuse me while I draw a picture of your prophet to see how many death threats I get from the religion if peace.
LMAO at the religion of peace website. If ever there was a bigger pile of horse dung. really, your reference and source of knowledge comes from a website, that website for that matter, and your really going to admit that in public lol. I feel sorry for humanity
Anyone who doubts Islam's intent to force Sharia on America: Look how CNN lets Muslims like Ellison smear The Third Jihad, when every frame of it is true. Look how they let him smear the anti-jihad crowd, which is composed of millions, here and abroad, including Muslim refugees, who know from first-hand experience or years of research that Islam isn't, and never was a religion of peace. Yet who gets to write articles on CNN or the Times? People who can prove the hatred and intolerance rampant in Islamic sources? No! Only those who repeat the lie: It's a religion of peace! The jig is up, Ellison! Millions have read English translations of the Quran, Hadith and Ibn Ishaq's biography of Muhammad (all free on the net). We know you're lying.
Unfortunately the actions of some minority extremist Muslims get all the press.
Their actions and beliefs are repugnant to the vast majority of Muslims worldwide.
Islam is a peace loving and gentle religion.
... Salaam (that means 'peace')
So, what. People can prove hatred an intolerance in Christianity. In fact, it's a staple in most religions since the us or them approach is required to gain converts. Wake up people, religion is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Recognize it for what it is a man-made device to control people and gain power, influence and money.
THERE ARE MORE BLACK MUSLIM, THAN ARAB MUSLIMS.
SO THE INFILTRATION PLANS OF THE BLACK MUSLIMS WERE TO BE CAPTURED, USED AS SLAVES FOR 200+ YEARS, SEGREGATED FOR ABOUT 100 YEARS AND THEN THEY WILL TAKE OVER AMERICA, HUH??? LMAO LMAO
talk about sleepers. They have been in hiding for 200 years waiting for the order to strike. OMG!
The Crusades? Please, that happened 10 centuries ago. The Western society has long ago moved on, while Muslims still follow their made-up stories from two thousands years ago word-for-word. Religion needs to die.
hummmm....Check out the killings and car bombing in northern Ireland, because the orthodox and protestant are fighting.
And jews were in israel 2000 years ago. Why move the Palestinians from their lands to make room for someone who died 20 centuries ago,
I became anti-islam after reading the koran. Hard to be pro-islam when 6p plus pages are dedicated to my dath and punishment. I guess that what happens when it's written by a psychotic, child raping warlord.
I became pro-islam after reading the Quran, I do not agree what you say, what kind of religion you have I wonder.
Usually, moderate people from all religions are just fine, problem comes when hardliners like you are around of us and try to spread hate.
joe – your opinion doesnt matter. knowledge and truth will always trump lunacy such as yours. just like how science won over christianity in europe.
I wonder if the author has even seem the film. It was very good, in my opinion, and seemed to be based in fact.
The truth is Islam, like many religions, want to gather and convert has many souls as possible. However Islam will do this my any means necessary, including death to those who refuse or won't be converted. The doctrine doesn't condone co-existence with any other religions. How many Churches, Synagogs, Hindu or Buddhist temples are there in Saudi Arabia....none! The penalty for converting from Islam is death.
Don't try and sell this has a tolerate or peaceful religion, it is anything but. Muslims will claim freedom of religion in other countries to build their mosques, but don't try to spread your religion in their "holy land".
My fairy tale is good. Your fairy tale is evil.
:) Thank you, that's good.
Throughout history, Chritianity, including the Catholic Church and any other religious offshoot thereof are responsible for more wars and more murders and more deaths than could possibly ever be counted. Religion is the problem. Religion is the devil incarnate. Seperating Islam from the rest of the murderous hordes is rediculous, at best, and plays only to the fears of stupid, intellectually challenged bigots everywhere.
That is true, we need to get rid of all hardliners from all religions. If Rick Santorum were born in Iran, he would run against Ahmedinejat as aislamic conservative candidate, because he has the genes.
there needs to be a balance between obvious generalization and not giving into political correctness. Case in point: federal mandates to screen everyone in airplane check in's rather than profiling based on religious and political beliefs.
How exactly do you plan to go about determining someone's religious beliefs? DO you want believers to register? Maybe believers of certain religions should wear a patch on their shoulder. After all, that's worked well in the past.
Here's a clue – not all islamic extremists look like islamic extremists.
Solution: Abolish religion, i mean it is soo easy just mobilize the army. Religion is a old relic that is nothing more than evil now. If i were to have power i would not be afraid to roll a tank through a church/mosque/temple. etc..
Thats what hitler said and look where that got him. i kind of hope someone like you gets into power and does something evil like that. then the world will wisen up alittle more. just europe stopped persecuting jews after the holocaust. doing what you want will work against you. either way you lose.
"Bomb them to the stone age. Jesus loves you."
Oh my stars and garters! What could THIS be...?
I'm an atheist. In America, I wince when I hear Christian fundamentalists try to push their faith on me. But I don't fear them. I can tell them to bug off. Or that it's nuts to believe in invisible beings, just because cave men did. But when a Muslim tweets things critical of Islam, he has to flee Saudi Arabia, which uses Interpol to arrest him in Malaysia, from which they want to bring him back so he can be EXECUTED for "insulting Islam." Only Islam kills critics. The Organization of Islamic Cooperation at the UN wants to make "insulting religion" (ie, Islam) a crime. And Clinton/Obama are co-sponsoring it! Folks, if you want to stop Sharia in America, vote anyone who pushes it out of office!! And IGNORE Islamic apologists like Ellison.
cool video. Wish my german was better.
Its hard being criticized by germans on being intolerant...
The Muslims would be a lot easier to cozy up to if they could just refrain from butchering people in the thousands. Just a thought.
Oh dear. Someone has forgotten about the Crusades...
muslimism is trash.
What instigated the attack on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon? And what drives today's 24/7 mosque/imam-planned acts of terror and horror? The koran, Mohammed's book of death for all infidels and Muslim domination of the world by any means. Muslims must clean up this book removing said passages admitting that they are based on the Gabriel myth and therefore obviously the hallucinations and/or lies of Mohammed. Then we can talk about the safety and location of mosques and what is taught therein.
Until then, no Muslim to include Keith M. Ellison can be trusted anytime or anywhere..................................
Psalms 137:9. Jews and Christians can't be trusted either. Reality is funny.
so what u will gona do.. there are good and bad people in every religion and country. u cant kill all 2 largest majority. respect them and they will respect you. i am muslim i respect every one. i dont have any problem making friend with non muslims. even our country is also attacking and killing innocent people around the world. they also have families. war is not good. same message to every religion and islam also. i accept there is extremism in islam. you can change people thinking you cant kill all. and if you want to survive in this world you will have to keep relations with all countries.
Unfortunately the actions of some minority extremist Muslims get all the press.Their actions and beliefs are repugnant to the vast majority of Muslims worldwide.
Islam is a peace loving and gentle religion.
... Salaam (that means 'peace')
9/11 happened because America decided to infringe on Saudi Arabias sovereignty and establish military bases on its soil. what did we expect
An update (or how we are spending or how we have spent the USA taxpayers’ money to eliminate global terror and aggression)
The terror and aggression via a Partial and Recent and Not So Recent Body Count
As the koranic/mosque driven acts of terror and horror continue:
The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century
■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "
and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.
and more recently
1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured
1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh
2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured
3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,480 and 928 in non combat roles. 102,522 – 112,049 Iraqi civilians killed as of 9/16/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, land mines and bombs of various types, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf
4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.
5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.
6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.
7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.
8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.
9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.
10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,385 killed in action, 273 killed in non-combat situations as of 09/15/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror
11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.
12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.
13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,
14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.
15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.
16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.
17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.
18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.
19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011
20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011
21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.
22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) - Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.
23) "October 4, 2011, 100 die as a truck loaded with drums of fuel exploded Tuesday at the gate of compound housing several government ministries on a busy Mogadishu street. It was the deadliest single bombing carried out by the al Qaeda-linked al-Shabab group in Somalia since their insurgency began. "
Other elements of our War on Terror and Aggression:
-Operation Iraqi Freedom- The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US Troops killed in action, 3,480 and 928 in non combat roles as of 09/15/2011/, 102,522 – 112,049 Iraqi civilians killed as of 9/16/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, land mines and bombs of various types, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf
– Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan: US troops 1,385 killed in action, 273 killed in non-combat situations as of 09/15/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed mostly due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror,
– Sa-dd-am, his sons and major he-nchmen have been deleted. Sa-dd-am's bravado about WMD was one of his major mistakes. Kuwait was saved.
– Iran is being been contained. (beside containing the Sunni-Shiite civil war in Baghdad, that is the main reason we are in Iraq. And yes, essential oil continues to flow from the region.)
– North Korea is still u-ncivil but is contained.
– Northern Ireland is finally at peace.
– The Jews and Palestinians are being separated by walls. Hopefully the walls will follow the 1948 UN accords. Unfortunately the Annapolis Peace Conference was not successful. And unfortunately the recent events in Gaza has put this situation back to “squ-are one”. And this significant stupidity is driven by the mythical foundations of both religions!!!
– – Fa-na–tical Islam has basically been contained to the Middle East but a wall between India and Pakistan would be a plus for world peace. Ditto for a wall between Afghanistan and Pakistan.
– Timothy McVeigh was exe-cuted. Terry Nichols escaped the death penalty twice because of deadlocked juries. He was sentenced to 161 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole, and is incarcerated in ADX Florence, a super maximum security prison near Florence, Colorado. He shares a cellblock that is commonly referred to as "Bombers Row" with Ramzi Yousef and Ted Kaczynski
– Eric Ru-dolph is spending three life terms in pri-son with no par-ole.
– Jim Jones, David Koresh, Kaczynski, the "nuns" from Rwanda, and the KKK were all dealt with and either eliminated themselves or are being punished.
– Islamic Sudan, Dar-fur and So-malia are still terror hot spots.
– The terror and tor-ture of Muslims in Bosnia, Kosovo and Kuwait were ended by the proper application of the military forces of the USA and her freedom-loving friends. Ra-dovan Karadzic was finally captured on 7/23/08 and is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violations of the law of war – charges related to the 1992-1995 civil war that followed Bosnia-Herzegovina's secession from Yugoslavia.
The capture of Ratko Mladić: (Serbian Cyrillic: Ратко Младић, pronounced [râtkɔ mlǎːditɕ], born 12 March 1943) is an accused war criminal and a former Bosnian Serb military leader. On May 31, 2011, Mladić was extradited to The Hague, where he was processed at the detention center that holds suspects for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY). His trial began on 3 June 2011.
– the bloody terror brought about by the Ja-panese, Na-zis and Co-mmunists was with great difficulty eliminated by the good guys.
– Bin Laden was executed for crimes against humanity on May 1, 2011
– Ditto for Anwar al-Awlaki on September 30, 2011
Sure, there are some good Muslims out there. However, Islam itself is problematic at best.
Sure there are some good Christians out there, However, Christianity is problematic at best.
The CNN Belief Blog covers the faith angles of the day's biggest stories, from breaking news to politics to entertainment, fostering a global conversation about the role of religion and belief in readers' lives. It's edited by CNN's Daniel Burke with contributions from Eric Marrapodi and CNN's worldwide news gathering team.