home
RSS
February 17th, 2012

Belief Blog's Morning Speed Read for Friday, February 17

By Dan Merica, CNN

Here's the Belief Blog’s morning rundown of the top faith-angle stories from around the United States and around the world. Click the headlines for the full stories.

From the Blog:

CNN: Explainer: How and why do Mormons baptize the dead?
The recent disclosure that Mormons baptized the dead parents of Jewish Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal by proxy has sparked outrage in the Jewish world. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has apologized for the baptism, which it says resulted from the actions of a church member acting in violation of church policy. The LDS church vowed to stop baptizing Jewish Holocaust victims in 1995.

Valerie Pokorny writes that she hopes her rights as a woman are respected by the Obama administration.

CNN: My Take: Contraception denigrates me as a woman
In the face of the Health and Human Services mandate to provide contraception coverage, I stand with my fellow Catholics hoping our religious freedom will be respected. But more importantly, I stand as a woman hoping who I am will be respected.

Belief on TV:

Tweet of the Day:

From @RELEVANT: "I found myself sitting with a bottle of morphine ... I give credit to God—and to my mother—for stopping me." Relm.ag/yivUQd

Enlightening Reads:

The Catholic Sun: Obama's revised HHS mandate won't solve problems, USCCB president says
Cardinal-designate Timothy M. Dolan of New York said Feb. 13 that President Barack Obama's revision to the contraceptive mandate in the health reform law did nothing to change the U.S. bishops' opposition to what they regard as an unconstitutional infringement on religious liberty.

Huffington Post: Timothy Dolan, Archbishop Of New York, Prepares To Address Pope Benedict XVI And Cardinals
Archbishop Timothy Dolan, the leader of New York City's 2.6 million Roman Catholics and president of the influential U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, is no stranger to the spotlight.

Religion News Service: Southern Baptists mull whether ‘Southern’ still fits
For the Rev. Jerry Henry, pastor of First Baptist Church of Fairhope, being Southern Baptist is a defining aspect of life.

Today’s Opinion:

CNN: My Take: NYPD’s use of anti-Islam film makes us less safe
Recent news that the New York Police Department presented the film “The Third Jihad” to nearly 1,500 officers is only the latest example of anti-Muslim training materials being used in ways that harm our national security. The film baselessly contends that “the true agenda of much of Islam in America” is to “infiltrate and dominate America,” smearing a religion that has been part of this country since its founding. Incidents like these sound the alarm on the need for greater transparency and oversight of counterterrorism training at all levels of government.

Join the conversation…

Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal.

CNN: Mormons apologize for posthumous baptisms of Weisenthal’s parents
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has apologized for "a serious breach of protocol" in which the parents of the late Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal were posthumously baptized as Mormons.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. Usman Akhtar

Hi,

Watch these videos to see who your Lord, Your Savior, is truly and who take Jesus back after his Cruisifiction. You are the people who enslaved themselves in the slavery of the people who cruisify Jesus. I Challenge you to deny these videos and the massage in these videos. Paradise, who’s Paradise? Think about your kids and what they believe in. Listen to these creatures very carefully. These creatures are saying the name of their and every bodies Creator. May be GOD wants to give you a chance? I hope you won't call these creatures terrorist. Good Luck.

Watch these videos.
    [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiX5AN1XiZg&w=640&h=360]
    [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFcrCiaqfEg&w=640&h=360]
    [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okazbOSMKSQ&w=640&h=360]
    [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkXtzxKbthg&w=640&h=360]
    Watch where this Red car is going.
    [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpex5x6YlL4&w=640&h=360]
    Usman Akhtar

February 18, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
  2. AGuest9

Sadly, the Whitney sob-a-thon is going into its 6th day. When will it end?!?!?!!!!

February 17, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
    • tea party

my guess is when ignorance,religion,racism finally end...

February 19, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  3. Truthship

So glad the Mormon Church apologized to Jews for Baptizing their dead. How do I get that same consideration? Speaking of apologies, if Romney wins Republican nomination it would be interesting if Obama asked Mitt how he explained his support for the black mans Mormon ‘Mark-of -Cain’  when he was on his LDS mission in the 1960’s.  Google ‘Mark of Cain’. Its high time the LDS church and Mitt own up to that racism with an apology.

February 17, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
    • Ronald Reganzo

Not to worry President Santorum will legislate the cults to hell.

February 17, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
  4. Matthew 7:6

You are doing good my fellow Christians, the atheists are beginning to to talk to themselves, that is a good thing. There are only a few on this blog site who can’t seem to listen to what Jesus had to say, but I hope they will read and obey.

February 17, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • tea party

uh?

February 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  5. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

February 17, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  6. Ironicus

Having technical difficulties here, so just let me say to hippypoet – Have fun. That's what I was doing.
    If you only want banter at your level, you should go elsewhere. I am free to question your words and point out your worthless ambiguity and lack of cognitive function.
    Enjoy. 😀

February 17, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • hippypoet

there is great power in ambiguity.
      i see the small things as you do but with a different intention towards why i chose to acknowledge them.
      And as for the many uses of different disciplines of thought, i am sorry you have trouble following. I do tend to bounce back and forth from one to the other....i find it entertaining. Just like i do puns and paralells. Stating the obvious is easy, but wording things in different ways and using double meanings with a hinting at something totally different but yet connected by the smallest friggin thing – All the while still conveying a point and or message that flowed thru it all like a stick in a stream. Now thats fun!

I know no other way to have fun properly but thru thought manipulation or thru realizations of self.
      Perhaps you could help me...or just poke me with a stick you dragged out of the very flow i tossed it in...whatever, who cares. enjoy yourself ironicus, in whatever makes you happy.

February 17, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • Ironicus

Thanks, hippypoet. I only live for your approval. Now I can dream big dreams of happiness thanks to you. (sigh)
      😀

February 17, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • hippypoet

you are very welcome. use your happiness wisely!

February 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
  7. Matthew 7:6

“...cast not that which is Holy...”

February 17, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
  8. prophet

Muslim, Mormon both begin with M and is there any difference they both make their own rules

February 17, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
  9. prophet

Mormons are sick and misled people abusing the bible to suit themselves

by doing what they are doing just shows absolute ignorance of what the bible says

February 17, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
  10. prophet

lets see it as it is, Muslim leaders killing their own people, this is what Muslim Religion is all about. Surely Religious leaders should show people how to behave but its obvious that they don't, sorry Muslims but your Religion thing doesn't make sense

February 17, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
  11. hippypoet

if you lived when knights ruled from horseback, and you were infact one of those that ruled, would you take advantage of your position in life?
    if there was such creatures as dragons would you be a dragon slayer? – this question is just for kicks, my family and i love how to train your dragon and we were watching it last night. 🙂

February 17, 2012 at 9:04 am |
    • Ironicus

"Take advantage" how? Is this a feudal system in the old days? Would we be just as ignorant and superst.tious as the people who lived in those days? And how did we / I become "one of those who ruled"? What pre-existing conditions are you talking about?

The same thing could be said for dragons – what sort of dragons, how they act / think / etc. – again – what sort of pre-existing conditions are you talking about? What sort of world? Are we talking real-life chemistry or "magic" shlt?

I'd love to discuss this but without any framework you might as well sigh dreamily and say, "Gee, I wish we were all magical. Wouldn't you want to be magical? (sigh)" and completely discredit yourself as someone to have an intelligent conversation with.

Go enjoy yourself, have fun, ease back on the alcohol and let some of your brain cells get some fucking air.

That was a nice movie, by the way. That one dragon was a nice one, wasn't it? (sigh) Wouldn't it be nice to live in these nice cartoon worlds? (sigh)

February 17, 2012 at 10:05 am |
    • lunchbreaker

I would like to think I'm better than that, but it would probably resemble an episode of The Tudors.

February 17, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • Brad

I'd rather be Robin Hood. Redistribution of wealth and all that.

February 17, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • lunchbreaker

A socialist Lutheran? Can't say I've met such a person.

February 17, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • Brad

Socialist Lutheran? That would be me. They have not excommunicated me yet.

February 17, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • J.W

If I lived back then I would be one of those wise men who live up in a cave in the mountains, and people would come to me to hear my wisdom.

February 17, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • lunchbreaker

My grandmother was a libertarian Lutheran. Imagine the fun conversations you 2 could have had.

February 17, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • hippypoet

SEE, ironicus.... just happy banter back and forth having fun with ideas...why so negative all the time?

i like robin hood too...only i am not nearly that skilled with the bow! better with blades.
      But i think i might have taken a wee advantage of my power in the sense of not doing the growing of crops...besides that i enjoy the work, but its the fighting i lust over. I love a good match up, be it armies or one on one...its all good.

February 17, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • Ironicus

So me telling you to go have fun and enjoy yourself is too negative for you? Get real or go fuck yourself.

February 17, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • hippypoet

see the anger! No, the saying enjoy myself was you being either sarcastic or just an attempt at wierd high handedness, which makes no sense unless you add this "ease back on the alcohol and let some of your brain cells get some fuc.king air"
      Now it all works. LOL you sir are just an anger person it seems.

here, let me help you...

dude relax.....take some deep breathes....like 5 or maybe even 10.

February 17, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • Ironicus

Anger? Shouldn't I be angry a little? Do you, then, disapprove of ALL anger? You are so retarded.

February 17, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • hippypoet

yup, you are full of anger!

you should get that looked at. I hear anger can kill!

February 17, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • Ironicus

Emotions do not kill, idiot. But why bother arguing? You are clearly brain-damaged. I am wasting my time even talking to you.
      kthxbye

February 17, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
  12. 1 John 4

7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

February 17, 2012 at 7:51 am |
  13. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

February 17, 2012 at 6:51 am |
    • A known Filipino

ok we get it. Can you please stop posting this on every single article?

February 17, 2012 at 10:42 am |
    • just sayin

No keep posting

February 17, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • Aloha

HE IS BEING SARCASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my Allah! Just ignore him! Like, Muhammed Christ! What's wrong with you people!

😛 (emoticon with tongue sticking out).

February 17, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • AGuest9

It's part of the religious/dictatorial "If we lie repeatedly, it will be accepted as 'The Truth'".

February 17, 2012 at 9:52 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things