home
RSS
February 18th, 2012

Facing death, a top pastor rethinks what it means to be Christian

Editor's Note: The short film accompanying this story, called "My Garden," comes from EdsStory.com. CNN.com is premiering the latest installment in the "Ed's Story" series.

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – Ed Dobson is not afraid of dying. It’s the getting there that really scares him.

A former pastor, onetime Christian Right operative and an icon among religious leaders, Dobson has Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. When he was diagnosed, doctors gave him 3 to 5 years to live.

That was 11 years ago.

“I am a tad happy to be talking to you right now,” joked Dobson, whose voice has deteriorated since his preaching days, in a phone interview. Speaking with him feels like being exposed to a brief moment of clarity. He speaks slowly, but with an understated confidence and authority.

As pastor at Calvary Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan, a position he held for 18 years, Dobson would regularly preach to 5,000 people or more on Sundays. Back then, Dobson said he looked at himself as a man filled with lessons, proverbs and, most of all, answers.

CNN's Belief Blog – all the faith angles to the day's top stories

After retirement six years ago, the massive crowds went away.

“I went from 100 miles an hour to zero miles an hour overnight,” Dobson said. “That was a shock to my system.”

Dobson says the answers vanished with the crowds.

“I know that sounds a bit lame,” he said. “I know that that I should have all the answers, but the truth is, the more I live, the fewer answers I have.”

And yet the people Dobson comes in contact with – those who call him dad, husband and friend, or those who have read one of his 12 books and watched his short films, don’t agree with that assessment. To them, the last six years of Dobson’s life have led to a remarkable ability to put life into context. To them, Dobson is a man filled with lessons.

From 5,000 to 1

In the 1980s, Dobson rose to prominence as an executive at the Moral Majority, Jerry Falwell's evangelical political organization, which had influence with the Ronald Reagan White House. Dobson’s rise continued when he accepted the pastorate at Calvary Church in 1987. He cut a national profile, with Moody Bible Institute naming him “Pastor of the Year” in 1993.

After being diagnosed with ALS, Dobson suddenly felt unsure of himself. At times, he said, he didn't want to get out of bed. After years of intense Bible study, Dobson said this is not how he thought he would react to news of his own mortality.

“I thought that if I knew I was going to die, I would really read the Bible and if I really was going to die, I would really pray,” Dobson said. “I found the opposite to be true. I could barely read the Bible and I had great difficulty praying. You get so overwhelmed with your circumstances, you lose perspective.”

Eventually, Dobson regained perspective. But feelings of listlessness led him to take his preaching to a more personal level. He now meets with congregants one-on-one. Sitting with them in their homes or offices, Dobson provides whatever help he can. “Most of the people I meet with have ALS and basically I listen," he said.

“When I meet with someone and look into their eyes, it is like I am looking into their soul,” Dobson said. “We are both broken, we are both on the journey and we are both fellow pilgrims.”

Going from 5,000 congregants to one at a time was a big change for Dobson, forcing him to reevaluate his job as a pastor. “I am trying to learn that one-on-one is just as important as speaking to thousands,” he said. “I reemphasize – I am trying to learn that.”

During his one-on-one meetings, Dobson says he remembers Adam and Eve being charged by God to work the Garden of Eden. For years Dobson’s garden was Calvary Church – the baptisms, weddings, the Sunday preaching.

“Whether it is preaching to 5000 or meeting one on one, I am trying to take care of the garden,” he said.

The wind knocked out

One way Dobson strove to tend the garden is by writing a book about dealing with serious illness. In 2007, he wrote “Prayers and Promises When Facing a Life-Threatening Illness.”

Dobson’s son Daniel read the book while deployed in Iraq. After returning home, Daniel made it his mission to turn the book’s stories into videos.

He pitched the idea to Steve Carr, the executive director of a faith-focused production company called Flannel. “When I met Ed, when he came to our office, something really spoke to me,” Carr said. “Not too long before that, I had been diagnosed with Leukemia.”

“I thought that this guy, he has been where I am right now and he has somehow mastered it,” Carr said.

So far, Flannel has released five Dobson films, available through the company's website. There are plans for two more. Though the films range in topic, from loss and forgiveness to healing and growth, all are centered on lessons Dobson learned through his battle with ALS. The videos toe the line between a dark look at a dying man's life and an uplifting glimpse at someone who exudes clarity.

"My Garden," the most recent title in the series, centers on Ed’s struggle to deal with ending his preaching career.

Dobson talks about the films as if they are his swan song, his last words of encouragement to a group of supporters he has inspired for decades.

“My desire is that people who have had the air knocked out of them, whether divorce or losing a loved one or illness, that they will get a sense of hope by watching the films,” he said.

Surviving (with help)

The series’ first short film opens with Dobson explaining what it was like to be told he had ALS. After lying in bed, Dobson gets in the shower, brushes his teeth and starts the day. Even he would admit, however, it is not that easy.

Dobson has lost much of the function in his hands and is seen struggling to brush his teeth, his frail body using two hands on the small brush. Though he is able to do a lot, including drive, Dobson wouldn’t be able to make it on his own, a fact he is keenly aware of when about when describing his wife, Lorna.

“She is my right hand, my left hand, my left foot, my right foot, my heart and my brain,” Dobson said. “Without her, it would be impossible to go on.”

Standing in the kitchen in one video, Lorna helps puts Ed’s belt and gloves on. The two don’t speak on camera, but their love is obvious.

“Our love has grown each year of marriage,” Lorna said. “I didn’t want to just wither in the sorrow of how our life was changing. It took a while to get used to what our life was going to be like but I realized that I needed to be more available to him.”

Dobson says he is also more available to her.

“I am no longer a preacher,” said Dobson. “Today, I would say I am a Jesus follower. Period.”

Lorna said she continues to learn from her husband. Throughout their life together, she said she learned by being in church with him, by raising three kids together and by loving one another.

The last 11 years, however, their love has changed. Dobson's illness has taught her to focus on the important things, she said, primarily their kids and five grandkids.

After tending the garden for decades, Dobson is now being tended himself, largely by Lorna. “ALS forced me into a situation where I grew in understanding of what it means to obey Jesus,” Dobson said in the latest film.

“It took me quite a while to find an alternative purpose," he said. "But the good news is out there – there is a purpose for everyone.”

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Death • Faith Now • United States

soundoff (3,194 Responses)
  1. Andrew

I wish it was that other Dobson, not you, Ed. Thanks.

February 19, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • Joy of Sin

Out of curiosity, what are you thanking him for?

February 19, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  2. ANONYMOUS

IF YOU WANNA KNOW REAL CHRISTIAN WALK THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND OUR BELIEF SYSTEM IS PARALL AND HAS ORDER....THERE IS GOOD AND EVIL, GOD AND SATAN, HEAVEN AND HELL. ALL ORDER CUZ GOD IS ORDERLY. OUR GOD IS ORDER. JESUS IS WAY TRUTH AND LIFE. IN ORDER FOR TRUTH TO BE TRUTH IT HAS TO BE ONE THING, NOT WISHY WASHY SAYING OH WELL THIS AND THAT IS TRUTH. TRUTH IS ONE THING NOT MANY AND THAT IS WHAT CHRISTIANITY TRUE CHRISTIANITY DISPLAYS. TRUE CHRISTIAN WILL PREACH GOSPEL AND CONFESS SINS AND SHARE CHRIST WITH LOTS OF PEOPLE. IF YOU SAY THERE IS NO HEAVEN OR HELL THEN YOU SAY THERE IS GOOD OR EVILAND YOU CANCEL ALL HORRIBLE THINGS THAT EVIL DOESO N THIS EARTH. GOD WISHES ALL MANKIND TO BE SAVED AND TURN FROM SIN. LOOK AT YOUR INWARD HEART. SHOWS THAT EVIL EXISTS. MANKIND SOLUTION IS JESUS CHRIST DEATH ON CROSS AND ROSE ON THIRD DAY SO YOU CAN HAVE A NEW LIVE IN CHRIST AND BY HIS WOUNDS YOU CAN BE HEALED AND HIS BLOOD WAS SHED ON CROSS TO PAY FOR OUR SINS AND WE MUST TURN FROM ORU SINS AND TURN TO CHRIST WITH ALL OUR HEARTS. PRAY AND REICEVE CHRIST AND BE FILLED WITH HOLY SPIRIT AND SAY LORD I AM A SINNER I UNDERSTAND I HAVE BROKEN YOUR COMMANDMENTS I HAVE DONE SO MANY SINS AND I HAVE GUILT ON MY CONSICENCE AND I NEED TO BE SAVED AND WASHED OF MY SINS FORGIVE ME OF MY SINS AND I WILL SURRENDE RTOY OU ALL DAYS OF MY LIFE AND FOLLOW CHRIST WITH ALL MY HEART!!!!!!!

February 19, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • Joy of Sin

1. Where is Heaven?
      2. Where is Hell?
      3. How do you follow something with a muscle?
      4. How does one define Evil and is not your God responsible for it according to your beliefs?
      5. How do you tie your shoes?

February 19, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • Don Juan

Turn your caps lock off, clown.

February 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  3. ANONYMOUS

COME ON EVERYONE PREACH THE GOSPOEL ALL CHRISTIANS AND BE FILLED WITH POWER OF HOLY SPIRIT. CONFESSING SINS AND PREACHING GOSPEL TO EVERYONE AND THEY WILL BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE. LET US SHARE THIS CHRIST LOVE. AND EVERYOEN PRAY WITH ALL YOUR HEART CUZ ONLY LOVE YOU WILL GET IS HAVING JESUS IN YOUR HEART, THE MOST HOLY LOVE EVER THAT CAN CLEANSE YOU OF YOUR SINS, VISIT GODLOVESTHEWORLD.COM IN ORDER TO SEE THE GOSPEL TRACT

February 19, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • Joy of Sin

I think Jesus needs a new webmaster. Hey, didn't J.C. die a while back?

February 19, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • tallulah13

Your caps lock is stuck.

February 19, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  4. pseudobliss

ALS....I've seen it wreck people's lives young and old. It is a slow brutal end that forces a human to die like a dog with horrible suffering. Unfortunately, nobody sees it. Its victims are under the public radar. Thank you CNN for doing this piece and showing the public a small picture of this sickness. We are far from understanding why this disease comes about, how the disease manifests or its triggers. We, essentially, know nothing about it. This needs to change. Hopefully, we can get enough funding to learn more about ALS.

February 19, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • Joy of Sin

Troll, give it up, this is not about ALS

February 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
  5. sdgman

I wish you peace and comfort. You have many people who love you.

February 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • Joy of Sin

And many more who are disgusted by you.

February 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  6. Exit bag

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxQYTFIZi8A&w=560&h=315%5D

February 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
  7. james addison

let's see. atheists live inder the presumption that God doesn;t exist, knowing they don;t know, or proclaiming there is no way to prove it..they want somebody to show them ..OK then the believers insist God exists, but can't prove it to anyone either...they seem less concerned with knowing God exists, as with getting you to go along with their theology...Which makes the pastor;s death so difficult to reckon with....the beleivers can argue that getting to the next place is only point anyway, while the atheists might expect him to send them a sign, but only after he is gone...lamentably, Dobson preached a lot of social politics about Christianity, while Reagan started wars woth pagans, because the rapture would allow any atrocity to be unjudged...same thing, the dogmatic insistence that life begins at death. ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN

February 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • Joy of Sin

Can I have some Solipsism with my order of religion please?

February 19, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
  8. Surazeus Simon Seamount

"Dobson said this is not how he thought he would react to news of his own immortality."

Immortality? Seriously?

February 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
  9. ANONYMOUS

February 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • tallulah13

What is parall? And also, your caps lock is stuck.

February 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  10. caleb's mom

this is an incredible story and we are blessed today by God's grace and HIS mercy that we may hear this amazing story! you are in our prayers :) and we thank you for your obedience to the plan our Lord laid out for you Ed...Glory be to God!!! and peace be with you brother :)

February 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • Joy of Sin

Caleb, I am really sorry about your Mom. You can't choose your parents.

February 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • connect.the.dots

I too am sorry for you, Caleb. Maybe one day your mother will have to endure pain and suffering that accompanies such a merciless, crippling disease. Mark my words. Any neuro=degenerative disease, especially ALS, will have you reevaluating the the glory of your God.

February 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  11. Joey

I'll take the Word of God over any posting from a mind trapped in secularism.

February 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • devin

And this my friends is the heart of the matter.

February 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  12. reason

February 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
  13. CRC

To the user called "reason". Your video is full of myths and debunked so called scientific facts. You show great ignorance by purporting this video as truth. Almost everything in the video is false. Evolution is not true and the facts prove it.

February 19, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
    • logicnothuff

Thank you CRC for speaking truth. Evolution is a doctrine of the Devil. We came from monkeys and mud puddles ???? Hah, balderdash!!

February 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • Don Juan

CRC,
      You're just not too bright, are you? Don't try to understand "sciency" stuff, it's not your thing. Stick to your video games, pr0n and celebrity culture.

February 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • Marty in MA

Evolution isn't true = the world is flat. You probably believe in talking snakes too?

February 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • JC

What facts? PRAY tell?

February 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • reason

Those are known scientific facts. What specifically do you disagree with?

February 19, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • tallulah13

Poor CRC. You must have missed the part in the video about not bearing false witness. Or is this one of the things you think is false?

February 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • disconnect.the.dots

And you, CRC, actively demonstrate the same ignorance that has, and will continue to, set back humanity as a whole. In the end, you'll realize you're only hurting yourself and those around you with this ignorance. I once despised this ignorance. I've grown to pity it with it being so mentally, emotionally, and spiritually crippling.

February 19, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  14. JC

lol, "pray" this and "pray" that. If anyone actually read this article you'd realize praying does absolutely NOTHING,lol. Other than give a false sense of hope – but that only works on the very devoted and very naive and in the end God still doesn't answer the prayer, at all. Yet people pray. Go to a hospital. Find the children's ward. Go find some terminally ill children; There will be at least a few who are dying and have parents praying literally 24/7 that God will heal their children. Then, invariably, their children WILL die. And then they rationalize it by saying God wanted their child in heaven beside HIm. Ignorance IS bliss, isn't it???

February 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • CRC

February 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • JC

CRC – "Jesus can make your life worth living but you have to let Him. Jesus is the way the truth and the life."

WHAT IF, Jesus ISN'T the answer? WHAT IF the Jews were right and he IS the false messiah? YOU'RE GOING TO BURN IN HELL! Or, maybe the MUSLIMS are right.......no, wait, the buddhists....no wait, maybe it's the scientoligists.........AAARRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH .....WHAT FICTIONAL CHARACTER SHOULD WE PRAY TO??????????

February 19, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • toadears

EVERYBODY dies. Everyone and every thing. The Bible teaches us that this is all temporary. How temporary no one knows except an executioner or someone who commits suicide. Prayers do get answered, just not necessarily in the way people want. "Please God, send my home from Iraq" sometimes may mean he comes home in a casket, but the remains come home. You, JC, are fixed in the temporary. And so your life will be. You won't be remembered. You may not even be mourned. You have tied yourself to this temporal existence and the mocking of those who hope for an eternity. Poor you. Your life is a waste.

February 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • disconnect.the.dots

To toadears:

In regards to JC 'tying' himself to this 'temporal existence', at least he has tied himself to some kind of reality. You, your ignorance, and the unfortunate others like yourself do not appear to have to much of a grasp on present life. It seems you are indeed the one leading a wasted life. Wasted on the crutch that is Christianity.

February 19, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  15. Don Juan

Soon we'll have one less bigot in the world.

February 19, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Joy of Sin

Amen.

February 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • The Resolute Voice

It takes one to "know" one. How insensitive and prejudiced.

February 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • Juan Don

Are you dying too?

February 19, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • EJS

Don – you are a stupid "a@#hole"

February 19, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • Don Juan

Explain to me how someone in the "Moral Majority" isn't a bigot.

February 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • Annatala Wolf

Calling someone a bigot just because they have a different set of beliefs than you? There's a word for that, and it starts with "b".

February 19, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • Don Juan

His beliefs hurt other people. Mine don't. Simple as that. There's a word for people that can't understand the difference...and it starts with an "S", ends with a "Y" and has an "upid" in the middle.

February 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • Don Juan

Actually, it has an "tupidit" in the middle. ;-)

February 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  16. Dennis

I think that everybody should reflect on their lives. You will reflect on them through the lenses that you where whether they are atheist, agnostics, Muslims, Jewish, Hindu, or Christian among many others. Socrates says that the life unexamined is not worth living. I hope you don't wait until your dying days to examine your life. Different stages in our life lead us to view things differently. I lost a friend at 44 years of age to cancer. She was a devout believer. While she knew that she was dying and her faith did not waiver, there was a change. Why do some need to attack the man for his faith? More than anything else, examine your life.

February 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • Joy of Sin

I don't feel the need to attack the man for his faith. I feel the need to attack the man, and those like him, for being pea-brained bigots and ethically and morally challenged A.s.s.h.o.l.e.s

February 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • Dennis

Joy of Sin,

And by what standards do you judge? How did you come to the conclusion? I don't know much about the man but I don't feel that I have the right to judge him, much less you. Each of us should examine our own lives and whether we measure up to the standards that we set. Do you measure up to your own standards? Whether he measures up to your standards doesn't matter to him. Introspection can be a good thing.

February 19, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Joy of Sin

Dennis, tell you what, before replying to me, why don't you learn something about the man. Why are you arguing from a position of ignorance?

February 19, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
  17. Sean R

I am a Jesus Follower as well, and I am acquainted with Dr. Dobson and his work. It is in fact, due to Dr. Dobson, that I am attending Liberty Seminary now, and he is part of the reason my wife and I are engaged in ministry here in the US and in Uganda. Wonderful man, and I am certainly grateful for his life and service. I am certainly saddened, though not surprised, by some of the comments that have been posted following this story. Unfortunately, the negativity and ignorance of the facts that have been put on display by some are the reason I seldom even bother scrolling down to read the comment section. Reading these today has helped me to swear off of them...probably for good. Farewell comment page. I will hardly miss thee.

February 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • JC

Good for you. Just like "god" ignores everything YOU have to say,lol.

February 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
  18. ANONYMOUS

THERE IS GOOD AND EVIL, GOD AND SATAN, HEAVEN AND HELL.. FOR TRUTH TO BE TRUTH THERE HAS TO BE ONE THING. NOT TRUTH IS NOT MANY THINGS. JESUS IS WAY TRUTH AND LIFE. GODLOVESTHEWORLD.COM IF YOU WANNA GET SAVED. YOU HAVE SINNED AND THERE IS GUILT ON YOUR CONSCIENCE FOR IT. AND SO YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT. IF YOU SAY THERE IS NO HEAVEN OR HELL THEN YOU SAY THERE IS NO GOOD ANDE VIL. CHECK YOUR THEOLOGY. YOU DO SIN AND YOU CANT GET RID OF THAT GUILT. CHECK OUT BRIAN WELCH ON YOUTUBE HIS TESTIMONY FROM THE BAND KORN OF HOW HE GOT SAVED AND HEALED OF DURG ADDICTION.

February 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • tallulah13

Humanity has created, worshiped, replaced and eventually rejected literally thousands of gods throughout history. There is not a single shred of evidence that ANY of these gods ever existed, even yours.

If you have done something terrible, take responsibility for it, and make amends to the person/people you hurt, and resolve not hurt anyone again. That is how you become a better person. That is how you make amends. It's not as easy as foisting your guilt on a supernatural sacrificial lamb, but it's more effective.

Also, I think your caps lock is stuck.

February 19, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • Annatala Wolf

WAT

February 19, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • toadears

Tall loo loon, Faith is the hope placed in things unseen. We have the Bible, the fulfillment of the prophecies, and faith to guide us. You want to stay buried in a hole or dusted about an ocean after you die, feel free. My problem with you mean-spirited haters is that you find your way onto every message board on every Internet site to spew your hatred for almost every subject. All you have to do is turn away and yet you insist on challenging, hissing, spitting, bragging, and mocking every person you can engage. PATHETIC.

February 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • tallulah13

Golly, toadears. I'm sorry that you think taking responsibility for your own actions is "mean-spirited". I'm sorry that because you fear the end of your existence and I don't fear the end of mine, you think I'm a terrible person. I'm sorry that because I don't think exactly as you do but still have the audacity to exercise my freedom of speech, you think I'm a "hater".

The fact remains. There is no proof of your god, and insulting me because I demand proof before I believe doesn't make your god any more real. None of your malice changes the facts.

February 19, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  19. king of kings

You all will go before the father...what do you think a fish farted a billion years ago and we were created..you will see soon enough but he so loved the world that who so ever believe in him shall have EVERLASTING life

February 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • RAWR

If the Christian dogmas of a revengeful God, universal sinfulness, election by divine grace and the danger of eternal damnation were true, it would be a sign of weak-mindedness and lack of character not to become a priest, apostle or hermit and, in fear and trembling, to work solely on one's own salvation.

February 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm |