Got a question for famed director Oliver Stone’s son, who reportedly converted to Islam last week in Iran?
Sean Stone, 27 and also a filmmaker, will be on CNN Newsroom Wednesday during the 1 PM ET hour. Post a question in comments and we may ask it during the interview.
The son of Oscar-winning director converted to Islam last week in a ceremony in central Iran, a national news agency reported.
Sean Stone became a Shiite Muslim in the city of Esfahan Tuesday and chose Ali as his new Islamic name, the semi-official Fars News Agency reported.
"The conversion to Islam is not abandoning Christianity or Judaism, which I was born with," Stone told Fars News Agency. "It means I have accepted Mohammad and other prophets."
He did not say why he converted.
Stone has collaborated on his father's projects. His father is Jewish and his mother, Christian.
Oliver Stone directed "Platoon," "Born on the Fourth of July" and "JFK."
Watch CNN Newsroom weekdays 9am to 3pm ET and weekends. For the latest from the CNN Newsroom click here.
Trading one set of silly supersti.tous rules for another. People who convert to Islam tend to be mentally unstable and deeply unhappy in life. Watch this space, I bet he ends up ruining his life on drugs or killing himself.
Usually, these people are God centric. and find Islam's emphasis on a God centric lifestyle attractive. All religions are full of contradictions, Islam just happens to have a lot less than others.
You should have got noble in lie mate
your comment actually is stupid. muslims are not known for taking drugs or being alcoholics.as for those who convert to islam...well they couldnt find peace in any other religion or ideology so they came to islam.same for this guy.and i dont think whitney houston jimmy morrison and winehouse and hendrix and others who were into drugs were muslims. but i know for sure that cat stevens was into drugs and when he actually converted to islam he gave up drugs. i mean after all the rehabs and counselling you guys cant make a person give up such things its only islam which can succeed where you guys give up.
I didnt say God wanted as 2 get His name right. The YHWH, Self Existent One n Elohim r de foundation of de Doctrine of Trinity. Jesus in Arabic is Yasua cos' of YHWH but Issa is used in Islam. Also Allah and many other names are acceptable to X'tians but only Allah in Islam.
I had a stroke as I wrote that. That's why it makes absolutely no sense and does not fit anywhere in these comments.
Marmaduke Picktthall (Translator of Quran in English, used world-wide, formerly Christian)
Assad Hoffman (Translator of Quran in English, used world wide, formely Jewish)
List is endless..Its not the people that follow Islam that attract converts. It is the ideology of Islam.
You can burn all the Qurans in the world today. It comes back alive, intact, within hours, world-wide.
Read. Read. Read. This is key to knowledge of religion, sciences, or anything else you want to know.
Islam's first commandment to all: Read. Read. Read.
But are they allowed or encouraged to read other points of view or simply the text they deem relevant?
Our War on Terror and Aggression:
An update (or how we are spending or how we have spent the USA taxpayers’ money to eliminate global terror and aggression)
The terror and aggression via a Partial and Recent and Not So Recent Body Count
As the koranic/mosque driven acts of terror and horror continue:
The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century
■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "
and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.
and more recently
1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured
1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh
2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured
3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,480 and 928 in non combat roles. 102,522 – 112,049 Iraqi civilians killed as of 9/16/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, land mines and bombs of various types, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf
4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.
5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.
6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.
7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.
8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.
9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.
10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,385 killed in action, 273 killed in non-combat situations as of 09/15/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror
11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.
12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.
13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,
14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.
15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.
16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.
17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.
18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.
19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011
20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011
21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.
22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) - Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.
23) "October 4, 2011, 100 die as a truck loaded with drums of fuel exploded Tuesday at the gate of compound housing several government ministries on a busy Mogadishu street. It was the deadliest single bombing carried out by the al Qaeda-linked al-Shabab group in Somalia since their insurgency began. "
Other elements of our War on Terror and Aggression:
-Operation Iraqi Freedom- The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US Troops killed in action, 3,480 and 928 in non combat roles as of 09/15/2011/, 102,522 – 112,049 Iraqi civilians killed as of 9/16/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, land mines and bombs of various types, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf
– Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan: US troops 1,385 killed in action, 273 killed in non-combat situations as of 09/15/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed mostly due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror,
– Sa-dd-am, his sons and major he-nchmen have been deleted. Sa-dd-am's bravado about WMD was one of his major mistakes. Kuwait was saved.
– Iran is being been contained. (beside containing the Sunni-Shiite civil war in Baghdad, that is the main reason we are in Iraq. And yes, essential oil continues to flow from the region.)
– North Korea is still u-ncivil but is contained.
– Northern Ireland is finally at peace.
– The Jews and Palestinians are being separated by walls. Hopefully the walls will follow the 1948 UN accords. Unfortunately the Annapolis Peace Conference was not successful. And unfortunately the recent events in Gaza has put this situation back to “squ-are one”. And this significant stupidity is driven by the mythical foundations of both religions!!!
– – Fa-na–tical Islam has basically been contained to the Middle East but a wall between India and Pakistan would be a plus for world peace. Ditto for a wall between Afghanistan and Pakistan.
– Timothy McVeigh was exe-cuted. Terry Nichols escaped the death penalty twice because of deadlocked juries. He was sentenced to 161 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole, and is incarcerated in ADX Florence, a super maximum security prison near Florence, Colorado. He shares a cellblock that is commonly referred to as "Bombers Row" with Ramzi Yousef and Ted Kaczynski
– Eric Ru-dolph is spending three life terms in pri-son with no par-ole.
– Jim Jones, David Koresh, Kaczynski, the "nuns" from Rwanda, and the KKK were all dealt with and either eliminated themselves or are being punished.
– Islamic Sudan, Dar-fur and So-malia are still terror hot spots.
– The terror and tor-ture of Muslims in Bosnia, Kosovo and Kuwait were ended by the proper application of the military forces of the USA and her freedom-loving friends. Ra-dovan Karadzic was finally captured on 7/23/08 and is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violations of the law of war – charges related to the 1992-1995 civil war that followed Bosnia-Herzegovina's secession from Yugoslavia.
The capture of Ratko Mladić: (Serbian Cyrillic: Ратко Младић, pronounced [râtkɔ mlǎːditɕ], born 12 March 1943) is an accused war criminal and a former Bosnian Serb military leader. On May 31, 2011, Mladić was extradited to The Hague, where he was processed at the detention center that holds suspects for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY). His trial began on 3 June 2011.
– the bloody terror brought about by the Ja-panese, Na-zis and Co-mmunists was with great difficulty eliminated by the good guys.
– Bin Laden was executed for crimes against humanity on May 1, 2011
– Ditto for Anwar al-Awlaki on September 30, 2011
Do you really think anyone reads crappy long winded diatribes like this? If you cant say it in a sentence or two DONT BOTHER!
All these crimes of Islam pale in comparison to WORLD WAR TWO and the JEWISH HOLOCAUST!!!
At this rate, it will take Muslims 500 years to catch up to what you all have ALREADY done 50 years ago.
Have you read about the role of Muslim in WW2 and the role of Mufti Hussaini of "Palestine" who convinced Hitler of killing Jews in return of Arab and Muslim support to Nazism ideology. This is why Hitler is praised by many Arabs and Muslims and considered a hero
Question: Why do you believe in magic?
So Mr. Stone, considering that there is absolutely no evidence of any kind anywhere in the known universe for any kind of supernatural being, why do you bother with choosing any god or religion?
Considering the fact that the secular democracies in Western Europe, with their very high levels of atheism, have the highest standards of living and the lowest levels of crime in the world, why would you choose any religion? Why in particular would you choose a religion that has such an unsavory history of violence, intolerance, oppression, and barbaric primitive approaches to justice and punishment?
Aren't you really just playing devil's advocate to get some media attention for yourself?
Prayer takes people away from actually working on real solutions to their problems.
Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
Prayer makes you fat.
Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
Prayer fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
Prayer makes you think doilies are exciting.
Prayer makes you secretively flatulent and embarrassed about it.
Prayer makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
Prayer gives you knobbly knees.
Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just google him to find out.
Prayer dulls your senses.
Prayer makes you post really stupid shit.
Prayer makes you hoard cats.
Prayer makes you smell like shitty kitty litter and leads you on to harder drugs.
Prayer wastes time.
Yet, He Lives
So, never go to church ?
Question for Sean Stone:
One reason as to WHYyou chose Islam?
You say that you were born into Christianity and Judaism, no one is born Christian.
A Christian is one who accepts Jesus Christ as his/her lord and savior. So,you are not be born into it, but being a Christian is a personal decision one makes in their life.
Let's not forget baptism into the faith. That is when one receives the Holy Spirit.
Tell Rev graham that.President Obama had a personal encounter with christ the key word Personal.Thats noot good for Rev graham.It would have been good enough for his father.His earthly one and his heavenly one
Every single person has born as a human in nature. Later on his social situation or surrounding make him as a Muslim or christian or so on.
One abrahamic religion for another. who cares
What kind of remark is this? It sounds to me that Stone in none-committal. It is not that he can’t make up his mind what is truth, but would rather have no confliction with any religion or religious person yet not declare that he is atheist, although I doubt that he would want to a dispute an atheist. He wants to be agreeable with everyone, at least when it comes to religious beliefs. What about his political stand? Does he have one, or is he wishy-washy in that arena also?
All three belief systems, which he now proclaims runs his life, are all so very different in their core beliefs. You can't follow one without totally being opposite of another. It would be interesting to see how he compensates for this...
@ Sean Stone:
In the Bible, Jesus clearly claims to be God (Jn.8:58).
In the Koran, Jesus clearly states he would never claim to be God (Surah 5:116).
If you are "not abandoning Christianity," how do you reconcile this central, mutually exclusive claim?
If you read all of John 8, all of John, or even many parts of the New Testament it is quite clear that Jesus kept poinint to "His father being greater than him", "stating that he of his own self can do nothing", praying to his father, calling on his father and also If John 8:58 is your best argument for Jesus ever claiming to be God it is a very flimsy.
a) my question was for Sean Stone, as the article requests. Note: All classically orthodox Christians (Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Protestants) are Trinitarian monotheists. This is a religious pluralism discussion. By the basic teachings of Islam & Christianity, you cannot be both. They are mutually exclusive central tenets of the respective faiths.
b) your objection regarding the Father is a basic misunderstanding of Trinitarian monotheism. The Son is equal to the Father (Php.2:6) and is fully God (Col.2:9), but willingly defers to his Father (Php.2:6-7). You may object to Christianity, but this is the basic teaching of the Christian faith.
c) In light of that, your exegesis of John 8:58 is a conceptual misunderstanding of the Trinity – but it also misses the immediate context. The Jews (who were adamant monotheists) immediately take up stones to kill Jesus *for blasphemy* (v.59). They fully understand he is claiming to be God – and not just any God, but the only true God. After all, he is using the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew unspeakable name of God (Ex.3:14): YHWH ("I Am").
@ Malcolm: clarification – John is translating Jesus' Hebrew & Aramaic into Greek.
@Russ-That was spot on!!
Islam = judaism for the gentiles
christianity = roman paganism for the gentiles
Ah yes, the "Trinity"... made up by so-called Christian scholars in 325 AD by the Council of Nicea by order of the Emperor Constantine who wasn't even a Christian (yet)... must be true, eh?
And what about the Moody Blues version of the unspeakable... "I think, therefore I am... I think"
Paul's letter to Philippi: @ AD 62 (latest date).
It's there in Philippians 2:6-10 – a Christian hymn that Paul is quoting (i.e., that was written *before* the letter).
Christians couldn't have a council before Christianity was legalized (AD 312, Constantine's "conversion"). Assuming doctrine 'arose' then ignores biblical teaching that greatly predates such councils – not to mention the councils based their conclusions off the Scriptures themselves.
Malcolm-Do not blaspheme. Jesus and God the Father are one.(John 14.)Read the scriptures and understand who Jesus said he was.
Half the truth is a lie. The Moslems reject Elohim and YHWH as divine names a key component of Judao-Christianity. They also do not believe in a personal God or one whose image is human form. The God of Abraham and that of Islam are strange bedfellows indeed.
Do you really think that god is so vain that he thinks a key component of worshipping him is getting his name right?
That's one insecure deity you've got.
Nothing is a lie unless the person saying it knows it is untrue and continues saying it. Not all untruths are lies
The Christian concept of a God who is not only anthropocentric but also anthropomorphic is one of their more ridiculous notions. Talk about egotism!
@ Sam Stone: 10:42 post. “Nothing is a lie unless the person saying it knows it is untrue and continues saying it. Not all untruths are lies.”
This could be an interesting “leap board” for discussion, but basicity I think it would come down to semantics.
I once read a forum that had the question: “Is it always wrong to tell a lie?” That had a bag full of replies.
It's "Judeo-Christianity". If "Elohim and YHWH as divine names" are "a key component of Judao-Christianity", why is it Jesus, or the founder of the Christian religion, (Saul of Tarsus), ever said anything about that "key" component ?
What do you expect will be the impact of your conversion on the upcoming release of your movie, "Graystone"?
Is this an important development? Now that the Stone family has all the bases covered, perhaps they can help us all get along?
Why would you trade one ridiculous belief system for another?
maybe it inspires something wthinin him
Many people convert to and from Islam for various reasons, however, why did you choose to do so in a country that is viewed by most of the world as oppressive to its own people and antagonistic to most of the world?
So he has decided that his elohim will be Yahweh, the god of the armies. How very odd for someone in the 21st Century.
Typical unlearned diatribe. God(Elohim) is the compound for God(Eli/Allah). However Islam does not accept Elohim or YHWH as divine names. The elohim with small e is gods which is plural for eli(god). Prejudice stifles learning. Let it go!
The point was , which you obviously missed, is that all the Abrahamic religions are based on a flawed notion of "monotheism". YOU let it go. Yahweh is an evolutionary development, which you fail to recognize, and NOT unique. Apparently "learning" means "agree with me" or else.
A conversion to something indicates a leaving of something else. The Holy Bible specifically states that you cannot serve two masters. How can you say, then, that your conversion to Islam does not mean you have left (abandoned) the God of your parents?
Becuase it is still the God of Abraham.
Not true, Doc Vestibule
If you have read both the bible and Koran then you will realize they are not speaking of the same god. Besides the god Allah was around long before Islam. Mohammed just centered the worship on the god Allah instead of the other ones.
Mohammad claims that Allah is the same as the Holy Father of Christianity. Christians can shout and scream that no, its not true. It means nothing because Muslims think they are worshipping the Holy Father (Allah), the dude Jesus (pre-Paul) used to bow down to.
Prayer changes things
Blind faith in a cult most certainly is not either. Can you explain what the difference is between your "religion" and those of the past that are now referred to as "mythology?" It is all faith, based on non-tangible beliefs that have no real validity in the realm of proof.
Prayer changes things
prayer changes things, proven and accepted as a wonderful Truth.
beware of those who capitalize "truth"
Beware of those who exchange lies for Truth
What instigated the attack on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon?
And what drives today's 24/7 mosque/imam-planned acts of terror and horror?
The koran, Mohammed's book of death for all infidels and Muslim domination of the world by any means. Muslims must clean up this book removing said passages admitting that they are based on the Gabriel myth and therefore obviously the hallucinations and/or lies of Mohammed. Then we can talk about the safety and location of mosques and what is taught therein.
Until then, no Muslim to include Oliver Stone's son can be trusted anytime or anywhere..................................
Actually, the Quran is no more of a book of death than the Bible, it's the various hadiths which contain some of the crazy stuff. There is no part of the Quran as crazy as Leviticus.
Also, why should they "clean up" their holy book. That's censorship. Future Muslims should be free to understand the theological and actual origins of their religion. What you are saying is exactly what Plato said in The Republic.
What instigated the attack on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon?
I think the bulk of it has to do with the US interventionist and occupational foreign policy and practice.
Actually, it is the Old Testament that lists the god-approved atrocities:
•Exodus 32: 3,000 Israelites killed by Moses for worshipping the golden calf.
•Numbers 31: After killing all men, boys and married women among the Midianites, 32,000 virgins remain as booty for the Israelites. (If unmarried girls are a quarter of the population, then 96,000 people were killed.)
•Joshua: ◦Joshua 8: 12,000 men and women, all the people of Ai, killed.
◦Joshua 10: Joshua completely destroys Gibeon ("larger than Ai"), Makeddah, Libnah, Lachish, Eglon, Hebron, Debir. "He left no survivors."
◦Joshua 11: Hazor destroyed. [Paul Johnson, A History of the Jews (1987), estimates the population of Hazor at ?> 50,000]
◦TOTAL: if Ai is average, 12,000 x 9 = 108,000 killed.
•Judges 1: 10,000 Canaanites k. at Battle of Bezek. Jerusalem and Zephath destroyed.
•Judges 3: ca. 10,000 Moabites k. at Jordan River.
•Judges 8: 120,000 Midianite soldiers k. by Gideon
•Judges 20: Benjamin attacked by other tribes. 25,000 killed.
•1 Samuel 4: 4,000 Isrealites killed at 1st Battle of Ebenezer/Aphek. 30,000 Isr. k. at 2nd battle.
•David: ◦2 Samuel 8: 22,000 Arameans of Damascus and 18,000 Edomites killed in 2 battles.
◦2 Samuel 10: 40,000 Aramean footsoldiers and 7,000 charioteers killed at Helam.
◦2 Samuel 18: 20,000 Israelites under Absalom killed at Ephraim.
•1 Kings 20: 100,000 Arameans killed by Israelites at Battle of Aphek. Another 27,000 killed by collapsing wall.
•2 Chron 13: Judah beat Israel and inflicted 500,000 casualties.
•2 Chron 25: Amaziah, king of Judah, k. 10,000 from Seir in battle and executed 10,000 POWs. Discharged Judean soldiers pillaged and killed 3,000.
•2 Chron 28: Pekah, king of Israel, slew 120,000 Judeans
•TOTAL: That comes to about 1,283,000 mass killings specifically enumerated in the Old Testament/Torah.
The New Testament has only one major atrocity, that of god committing filicide assuming you believe in this Christian mumbo jumbo. Said atrocity should be enough to vitiate all of Christianity.
– Islamic Sudan, Dar-fur and So-malia are still terror hot spots.
The CNN Belief Blog covers the faith angles of the day's biggest stories, from breaking news to politics to entertainment, fostering a global conversation about the role of religion and belief in readers' lives. It's edited by CNN's Daniel Burke with contributions from Eric Marrapodi and CNN's worldwide news gathering team.