home
RSS
My Take: Stop sugarcoating the Bible
The 17th century painting Judith Beheading Holofernes, by Artemisia Gentileschi, depicts a biblical scene.
February 25th, 2012

My Take: Stop sugarcoating the Bible

Editor's note: Steven James is the author of more than 30 books, including "Flirting with the Forbidden," which explores forgiveness.

By Steven James, Special to CNN

(CNN) – The Bible is a gritty book. Very raw. Very real. It deals with people just like us, just as needy and screwed up as we are, encountering a God who would rather die than spend eternity without them.

Yet despite that, it seems like Christians are uncomfortable with how earthy the Bible really is. They feel the need to tidy up God.

For example, look in any modern translation of Isaiah 64:6, and you’ll find that, to a holy God, even our most righteous acts are like “filthy rags.” The original language doesn’t say “filthy rags”; it says “menstrual rags.” But that sounds a little too crass, so let’s just call them filthy instead.

And let’s not talk so much about Jesus being naked on the cross, and let’s pretend Paul said that he considered his good deeds “a pile of garbage” in Philippians 3:8 rather than a pile of crap, as the Greek would more accurately be translated.

And let’s definitely not mention the six times in the Old Testament that the Jewish writers referred to Gentile men as those who “pisseth against the wall.” (At least the King James Version got that one right.)

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The point?

God’s message was not meant to be run through some arbitrary, holier-than-thou politeness filter. He intended the Bible to speak to people where they’re at, caught up in the stark reality of life on a fractured planet.

Dozens of Psalms are complaints and heart-wrenching cries of despair to God, not holy-sounding, reverently worded soliloquies. Take Psalm 77:1-3: “I cry out to God; yes, I shout. Oh, that God would listen to me! When I was in deep trouble, I searched for the Lord. All night long I prayed, with hands lifted toward heaven, but my soul was not comforted. I think of God, and I moan, overwhelmed with longing for his help” (New Living Translation).

And rather than shy away from difficult and painful topics, the Old Testament includes vivid descriptions of murder, cannibalism, witchcraft, dismemberment, torture, rape, idolatry, erotic sex and animal sacrifice. According to St. Paul, those stories were written as examples and warnings for us (1 Corinthians 10:11). So obviously they were meant to be retold without editing out all the things we don’t consider nice or agreeable.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

I believe that Scripture includes such graphic material to show how far we, as a race, have fallen and how far God was willing to come to rescue us from ourselves.

God is much more interested in honesty than pietism.

And that’s what he gives us throughout Scripture, telling the stories of people who struggled with the same issues, questions and temptations we face today.

Peter struggled with doubt, and we hear all about it.

Elijah dealt with depression; Naomi raged with bitterness against God; Hannah struggled for years under the burden of her unanswered prayers.

David had an affair and then arranged to have his lover’s husband killed. Noah was a drunk, Abraham a liar, Moses a murderer. Job came to a place where he found it necessary to make a covenant with his eyes not to lust after young girls (Job 31:1).

It’s easy to make “Bible heroes” (as Protestants might say) or “saints” (as Catholics might refer to them) out to be bigger than life, immune from the temptations that everyone faces.

I find it encouraging that Jesus never came across as pietistic. In fact, he was never accused of being too religious; instead he partied so much that he was accused of being a drunkard and a glutton (Matthew 11:19).

Jesus never said, “The Kingdom of God is like a church service that goes on and on forever and never ends.” He said the kingdom was like a homecoming celebration, a wedding, a party, a feast to which all are invited.

This idea was too radical for the religious leaders of his day. They were more concerned about etiquette, manners, traditions and religious rituals than about partying with Jesus. And that’s why they missed out.

That’s why we miss out.

According to Jesus, the truly spiritual life is one marked by freedom rather than compulsion (John 8:36), love rather than ritual (Mark 12:30-33) and peace rather than guilt (John 14:27). Jesus saves us from the dry, dusty duties of religion and frees us to cut loose and celebrate.

I don’t believe we’ll ever recognize our need for the light until we’ve seen the depth of the darkness. So God wasn’t afraid to get down and dirty with us about life and temptation and forgiveness. And grace.

We don’t need to edit God. We need to let him be the author of our new lives.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Steven James.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • My Take • Opinion

soundoff (5,743 Responses)
  1. Clamor

"You're obviously speaking to Christians when you say this because there are many people like myself who believe the Bible was written by man and NOT inspired by the loving presence in the universe that we refer to as God"
    Your unbelief in something doesn't make it false.

"We believe the Bible is NOT relevant;"
    Calling something "not relevant" doesn't make it irrelevant.

"some of the characters in the Bible existed, some DID NOT, that would include the main character behind the Christian story – Jesus –"
    Your opinions do not change facts.

"because if you believe Jesus existed, you'd also have to believe that Horus, Mithras, Khrishna. Dionysus, Attis, and many other "Saviors" existed as well, since their identical stories were told centuries before the Jesus story"
    False stories don't make true stories false.

"As for the "message of redemption", "being saved from sin, error, or evil", look around you in the world today, Christians commit sins (or break moral and legal laws) every single day; Christians are in error from time to time, just like anyone else; and Christians commit evil acts just like everyone else; so this whole "redemption" thing is NONSENSE"
    The Bible doesn't claim anyone will ever be perfect here on earth (to the contrary) we will be made perfect in heaven through Christ. We are all still sinners, we all still hate, we all still cheat, we all still lie, etc. The difference isn't that we've changed, the difference is that we've been forgiven.

"I've read the Bible at least 3 times, was raised in the Christian faith, but as I got older, and the more serious study and research I did, I realized that most of the allegorical tales in the Bible are as believable as Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy."
    Your unbelief in the possible doesn't make it impossible.

"Your Holy Book was not written to be taken literally"
    It was written to be taken in context.

"it was written for an illiterate group of primitive people, which is why it is replete with anthropomorphism, allegory, and fables."
    You don't explain complex ideas with complex things.

"It's past time you guys put that 2600-year-old book on the book shelf where it belongs."
    Books are written to be read.

"Your Bible is NOT the word of the loving presence in the universe that we so haphazardly call, God."
    You don't have to believe truth for it to be true.

November 20, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
  2. AmazingUniverse

"Only when the Bible seems relevant to us (which it is), only when the characters seem real to us (which they were), only then will the message of redemption become personal for us (which it was always meant to be)."

You're obviously speaking to Christians when you say this because there are many people like myself who believe the Bible was written by man and NOT inspired by the loving presence in the universe that we refer to as God. We believe the Bible is NOT relevant; some of the characters in the Bible existed, some DID NOT, that would include the main character behind the Christian story – Jesus – because if you believe Jesus existed, you'd also have to believe that Horus, Mithras, Khrishna. Dionysus, Attis, and many other "Saviors" existed as well, since their identical stories were told centuries before the Jesus story. As for the "message of redemption", "being saved from sin, error, or evil", look around you in the world today, Christians commit sins (or break moral and legal laws) every single day; Christians are in error from time to time, just like anyone else; and Christians commit evil acts just like everyone else; so this whole "redemption" thing is NONSENSE.

And please, don't try to "explain" anything to me with your scriptures and your canonical rhetoric, I've read the Bible at least 3 times, was raised in the Christian faith, but as I got older, and the more serious study and research I did, I realized that most of the allegorical tales in the Bible are as believable as Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

Your Holy Book was not written to be taken literally, and it was written for an illiterate group of primitive people, which is why it is replete with anthropomorphism, allegory, and fables. It's past time you guys put that 2600-year-old book on the book shelf where it belongs. Your Bible is NOT the word of the loving presence in the universe that we so haphazardly call, God.

June 11, 2013 at 9:03 pm |
  3. backlink

This really is an excellent posting. I'll spend more time researching this topic. backlink http://fiverr.com/twnseobacklink

April 24, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
  4. Troy "FireSpeaks" Pearsall

When I speak on the passages you used in your example I do get very dirty and try to let the translation become real and personal. I am in complete agreement with you, there is no need to tidy up God. More importantly when the message is watered down it is not nearly as effective.

If we can't be real in how we accept the word of God, how can we expect those with whom we proselyte to be real in their conversion? an honest man of God disciples honest men of God.

January 2, 2013 at 10:39 am |
  5. icons package

Instead of criticising write the variants.

P.S. Please review Graphic designer Icon from design-icon-set

September 19, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
  6. VZW Pix

Unquestionably consider that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked whilst other folks consider worries that they plainly don't understand about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest as smartly as outlined out the entire thing with no need side effect , people could take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thank you

May 23, 2012 at 5:00 am |
  7. CABLE TV NC

I do not even know how I stopped up here, however I thought this publish used to be great. I don't realize who you are however certainly you're going to a famous blogger when you are not already. Cheers!

May 22, 2012 at 12:41 am |
  8. Sophie

I need to say. Really rarely do I etnuocner a weblog that’s each educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have got hit the nail on the head. Your thought is excellent; the issue is one thing that not sufficient individuals are speaking intelligently about. I am very glad that I stumbled across this in my seek for one thing regarding this.

May 21, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Clayton

rfpntgsffmjhiu.b.sppn, Free full version hidedn object games, WcaSUuy, the natural diet plan, AowPkoR, cool games, YjsOamJ, rpg games, kFwalAz, free army games, mgamJrP, play free games online, BKradMk, hcg ultra diet drops review, PRoCTXJ, XtremeNO, RSQHvaR.

May 19, 2012 at 5:02 am |
  10. Weight Loss

Good day very cool blog!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I'll bookmark your site and take the feeds also?I'm happy to find numerous helpful info right here in the put up, we want work out more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

May 13, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
  11. FuxerTipoc

May 6, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
  12. SemuelGirs

May 3, 2012 at 12:17 am |
  13. spanish dates

I liked as much as you'll obtain carried out right here. The caricature is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nevertheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you would like be handing over the following. ill certainly come more previously again as exactly the similar just about very ceaselessly inside case you protect this hike.

May 1, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
  14. N���%X���Details For Accept Finance|Practica6Ynaomi watts filmography by rating imdbsearch�ut0Mnaomi watts filmography fandangosearch�uq,Enaomi watts filmography imdbsearch�us-Gnaomi watts filmography yahoos

I'll right away clutch your rss feed as I can not to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please permit me recognise in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

May 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Lesbian dating website - meet lesbians online for lesbian chatting for love rumpy pumpy or friendship

Magnificent publish, very informative. I'm wondering why the other experts of this sector do not realize this. You must continue your writing. I am sure, you have a huge readers' base already!|What's Taking place i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads. I'm hoping to give a contribution & assist other users like its helped me. Great job.

May 1, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
  16. chelsea news

It is appropriate time to make a few plans for the long run and it's time to be happy. I have learn this publish and if I may just I desire to counsel you few interesting things or tips. Maybe you can write subsequent articles referring to this article. I wish to read more issues approximately it!

May 1, 2012 at 9:35 am |
  17. Terrific Cable TV and Broadband Promotions

Hi there, I found your website by the use of Google even as searching for a comparable topic, your website got here up, it appears good. I've added to my favourites|added to bookmarks.

April 30, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
  18. Comcast Cable Port Saint Lucie Florida

I have read several just right stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much effort you set to make the sort of wonderful informative website.

April 30, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
  19. Comcast Cable Fort Wayne Indiana

Thanks for another wonderful post. Where else may anyone get that type of information in such an ideal way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I'm on the search for such information.

April 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
  20. Susan K Rowland, author

Just discovered this blog entry by Steve James (who is to be a speaker at the Writers Digest Conference West in October). Wonderful points. God really does want us to be honest with ourselves and with God. That's the starting point. And I loved that you described God as one 'who would rather die than spend eternity without [us].' All the unbelief in the world cannot negate God's existence or God's love. [Maybe I'll see in in L.A., Steven!].

April 28, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90