home
RSS
My Take: Stop sugarcoating the Bible
The 17th century painting Judith Beheading Holofernes, by Artemisia Gentileschi, depicts a biblical scene.
February 25th, 2012

My Take: Stop sugarcoating the Bible

Editor's note: Steven James is the author of more than 30 books, including "Flirting with the Forbidden," which explores forgiveness.

By Steven James, Special to CNN

(CNN) - The Bible is a gritty book. Very raw. Very real. It deals with people just like us, just as needy and screwed up as we are, encountering a God who would rather die than spend eternity without them.

Yet despite that, it seems like Christians are uncomfortable with how earthy the Bible really is. They feel the need to tidy up God.

For example, look in any modern translation of Isaiah 64:6, and you’ll find that, to a holy God, even our most righteous acts are like “filthy rags.” The original language doesn’t say “filthy rags”; it says “menstrual rags.” But that sounds a little too crass, so let’s just call them filthy instead.

And let’s not talk so much about Jesus being naked on the cross, and let’s pretend Paul said that he considered his good deeds “a pile of garbage” in Philippians 3:8 rather than a pile of crap, as the Greek would more accurately be translated.

And let’s definitely not mention the six times in the Old Testament that the Jewish writers referred to Gentile men as those who “pisseth against the wall.” (At least the King James Version got that one right.)

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The point?

God’s message was not meant to be run through some arbitrary, holier-than-thou politeness filter. He intended the Bible to speak to people where they’re at, caught up in the stark reality of life on a fractured planet.

Dozens of Psalms are complaints and heart-wrenching cries of despair to God, not holy-sounding, reverently worded soliloquies. Take Psalm 77:1-3: “I cry out to God; yes, I shout. Oh, that God would listen to me! When I was in deep trouble, I searched for the Lord. All night long I prayed, with hands lifted toward heaven, but my soul was not comforted. I think of God, and I moan, overwhelmed with longing for his help” (New Living Translation).

And rather than shy away from difficult and painful topics, the Old Testament includes vivid descriptions of murder, cannibalism, witchcraft, dismemberment, torture, rape, idolatry, erotic sex and animal sacrifice. According to St. Paul, those stories were written as examples and warnings for us (1 Corinthians 10:11). So obviously they were meant to be retold without editing out all the things we don’t consider nice or agreeable.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

I believe that Scripture includes such graphic material to show how far we, as a race, have fallen and how far God was willing to come to rescue us from ourselves.

God is much more interested in honesty than pietism.

And that’s what he gives us throughout Scripture, telling the stories of people who struggled with the same issues, questions and temptations we face today.

Peter struggled with doubt, and we hear all about it.

Elijah dealt with depression; Naomi raged with bitterness against God; Hannah struggled for years under the burden of her unanswered prayers.

David had an affair and then arranged to have his lover’s husband killed. Noah was a drunk, Abraham a liar, Moses a murderer. Job came to a place where he found it necessary to make a covenant with his eyes not to lust after young girls (Job 31:1).

It’s easy to make “Bible heroes” (as Protestants might say) or “saints” (as Catholics might refer to them) out to be bigger than life, immune from the temptations that everyone faces.

I find it encouraging that Jesus never came across as pietistic. In fact, he was never accused of being too religious; instead he partied so much that he was accused of being a drunkard and a glutton (Matthew 11:19).

Jesus never said, “The Kingdom of God is like a church service that goes on and on forever and never ends.” He said the kingdom was like a homecoming celebration, a wedding, a party, a feast to which all are invited.

This idea was too radical for the religious leaders of his day. They were more concerned about etiquette, manners, traditions and religious rituals than about partying with Jesus. And that’s why they missed out.

That’s why we miss out.

According to Jesus, the truly spiritual life is one marked by freedom rather than compulsion (John 8:36), love rather than ritual (Mark 12:30-33) and peace rather than guilt (John 14:27). Jesus saves us from the dry, dusty duties of religion and frees us to cut loose and celebrate.

I don’t believe we’ll ever recognize our need for the light until we’ve seen the depth of the darkness. So God wasn’t afraid to get down and dirty with us about life and temptation and forgiveness. And grace.

Only when the Bible seems relevant to us (which it is), only when the characters seem real to us (which they were), only then will the message of redemption become personal for us (which it was always meant to be).

We don’t need to edit God. We need to let him be the author of our new lives.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Steven James.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • Opinion

soundoff (5,744 Responses)
  1. Major

The Bible is a flawed book, which has just been changed over and over.

February 26, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • Liberals Are Stupid

If you looked into the facts, I think you'd be surprised by how wrong you are. I guess it's easier to repeat nonsense than to research for yourself.

February 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
    • Mike

Liberalism is a mental disorder. All you God deniers may feel comforted flaming God on a liberal web site but don't get too comfortable, the truth will be releaved to you in time.

February 26, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • GauisCaesar

Umm, your comment is wrong and would even be considered wrong by the most liberal and atheistic historians and theologians. I am never against someone who has a differing opinion than mine, but I am completely against anyone that misrepresents or totally lies to make their opinion look better. Either you are one of those that is misinformed or you haven't bothered to research your point. In either case, you represent the enemy of anyone actually looking for truth in this world!

February 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
    • NVRWRNG

@Mike

Just checked my medical dictionary. Couldn't find liberalism as a dx. We can make millions off this new diagnosis! Call me I want in on this!

February 26, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  2. Artzygrrrl

Sadly, within our Christian community we have more closed minded, critical, and judgemental people. It is refreshing to read such an article that, is not "political correct" or self-righteous...God is not that way so, why have we made him out to be something he is not? The only thing I have to say about the "Bible Heroes" comment is that, they're not puffed up because of their humaness, they are heroes of the faith because, even though they struggled and sinned, they were able to overcome because their love of God was greater. I agree, God cares not about our being religious, it's the heart that he sees & cares about (for our thoughts start there Mt.15:19), and these people knew it and strived to be better, not perfect.

February 26, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • Liberals Are Stupid

There is nothing Christlike about that article. The theme throughout the Bible is that imperfect men and women need a perfect Savior. To agree with somebody that characterizes Christ as a liberal drunkard must mean that you, yourself, aren't too schooled on the Bible.

February 26, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
  3. LuisWu

Christianity, like all religions, is nothing more than ancient mythology, written thousands of years ago by members of a primitive society in an effort to explain existence and comfort people in the face of their mortality. I've read both the old and new testaments cover to cover. I've read many other religious texts as well. They're all just ancient mythology from primitive cultures, nothing more.

When I look around, I don't see a god flying around in a cloud or pillar of fire, I don't see sticks turning into snakes, I don't see rivers turning to wine, etc. etc. If that stuff was real and happened then, it would be happening now. I don't see miracles happening, all I see is a lot of ignorant people blindly accepting ancient mythology as fact, while rejecting modern scientific knowledge. If people would use their brains for a change, THINK about it using logic, reason and objectivity, then they would understand that it's just old myths. It's just so utterly obvious.

February 26, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
    • JM

Have you ever heard Ravi Zacharias?

If you want to hear someone who "uses his brain", check out his books/website.

February 26, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • Liberals Are Stupid

Hence my name. Liberals make themselves out to be stupid by their very words. You seriously need a history lesson.

February 26, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
  4. If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

Please read the Bible with an open mind .. if that doesn't make an Atheist out of you, you weren't really paying attention.

February 26, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
  5. Maryann

Profoundly insightful. I wish every church would replace their signs with "God's home." Maybe then people would begin to live honestly for Him instead of themselves! Thank you.

February 26, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Or just remove the churches, replace with some beautiful parks and say THIS is God's home. Thank you.

February 26, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
  6. SHAIARRA

* "Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."

THOMAS JEFFERSON A DEIST (HE PRIVATELY PRINTED HIS OWN BIBLES, MINUS THE MIRACLES)

February 26, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  7. Ed

it would be interesting to know the bible as it was with out the new additional worlds that have been filling it all this time

February 26, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Probably not. I have much better books to read on my book shelf.

February 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • GauisCaesar

Dude, you are reading from an old anti-Christian playbook. This was a huge "gotcha" point for many years from atheists until they discovered the Dead Sea Scrolls (in 1948-9) (yep, your playbook is very old). They found that there were some words that could translate to other meanings these days, but the books we have that make up the Bible are the same words that made up the book 2200 years ago. Please update your 'gotcha" list and actually research next time before you post.

February 26, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
  8. gaeboi

We should rid our societies of the bible and Qu'ran. Let's remember the principles and stop using it to kill and hurt one another's lives and lifestyles. Society knows how to punish those that commit gross crimes well enough without having books like these disrupting society, as it has done in so many years. It's actually held our societies back from progress over the centuries.

February 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • JM

If you actually read the New Testament, you'd see that it is all about love, forgiveness, compassion...not killing. Jesus taught: love your neighbors; love your enemies; if someone hits you, turn the other cheek.

People who kill in the name of Christianity aren't following Jesus's teaching.

February 26, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

I teach the same thing. Am I Jesus?

February 26, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  9. SHAIARRA

GOOGLE: JESUS PAIS ROMAN CENTUTION

February 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • SHAIARRA

CENTURION

February 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • Liberals Are Stupid

Google? Are you serious? LOL Why would I "Google" something to only receive a man's perverted twist on the Bible (to make himself feel better or suit his perverted lifestyle) when I can go straight to the Bible and read the facts for myself.

February 26, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  10. SHAIARRA

Lev. 20:20
    YOU may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. WEARING GLASSES IS NOT AN EXCUSE TO APPROACH THE ALTAR. YOUR VISION HAS TO BE 20/20, no wiggle room is allowed, MANY INCLUDING CLERGY WEAR GLASSES AND CONTACT LENS ,IS THIS WHY THE RECENT SCOTUS, THE CHURCH OF "JESUS CHRIST" THE GREAT HEALER CAN FIRE YOU AS AN EMPLOYEE IF YOU GET SICK, OLD, FEMALE etc., THERE'S MORE EQUALITY AND CAREER SECURITY IN THE HUMANIST SECULAR AREA

February 26, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  11. SHAIARRA

LEVITICUS 21:16-24,22:9
    DISABLED, MAMED & DWAFT people are "PROFANE", to "GOD's"TEMPLE? WHAT ABOUT THE US LAW (ADA) ?, to be ANY of these ways is NOT A CHOICE, and yet it's CALLED "PROFANE"/"UNCLEAN" Bring back the old testament law on stoning... even stoning disobedient children?

February 26, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  12. p a p a r a z z i n c . c o m

The mistake here, belief that the bible is gods message. This book was and is the longest running hoax of mankind... a cruel hoax and nothing more.

February 26, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Crad

Wrong article..

February 26, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • JM

1 The fool[a] says in his heart,
      “There is no God.”
      They are corrupt, their deeds are vile;
      there is no one who does good.

2 The LORD looks down from heaven
      on all mankind
      to see if there are any who understand,
      any who seek God

February 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • theTruth

they claim its been around for a long time and won't end. I say it will never make it 1/3 of the time the god Zeus was around.

February 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
  13. Converted

I see all the athiests are on the Belief Blog... because they don't believe?? Hmmm... I think I will go find a sports blog and tell them how much I don't watch sports.

God bless us all.

February 26, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Unconverted

Atheists are here because religion is a danger to the human race & this is but one small battle line.

February 26, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • Converted

Ahhh... so your a bunch of warriors fighting against God. Wouldn't want to be you. But God bless you too.

February 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • Atheism=evil and amoral

Well unconverted, since you evil and amoral atheists are calling this a battle line, and referring to this as a war, you won't mind when we start killing all of you. Frankly, I'm sick to death of your evil and your viciousness, as well as your bitterness and vitriol, and I'm eagerly awaiting your eternal sojourn in hellfire.

February 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • Sports Fan

You don't want to do that. The sports blogs are boring. I am reminded of when I tried to leartn to enjoy Hockey. No luck.
      Interesting that you seem to think that it is not "belief" unless it is your belief. I don't think it works that way. Much like a pitcher who waves off his catcher who is begging for a change up, but he throws the heater anyway! lol

February 26, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • momoya

@Converted

So are you saying that if 90% of the people in your society claimed the Easter Bunny was real and he rewarded or tortured people after they died, you'd not say a word? Interesting...

February 26, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • Converted

@momoya

What??? Put down the crack pipe and walk away. LOL God bless you too... may Jesus come save you.

February 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • theTruth

very cool.
      Atheism=evil and amoral proved Unconverted's point

February 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • momoya

@ Atheism =

Exactly the sort of response I expect from those who worship a god who sustains and eternal pit of torture. Maybe you should kill atheists, the muslims do. Because you're a christian, that killing would be "god's will" and not at all "evil and amoral, vicious or bitter."

February 26, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • NVRWRNG

I hope there is a hell and I hope I go there. Just so I don't ever have to meet, uneducated, weak-minded people who are "believers." That would be the best day ever. I just wish you guy took science classes. That is all I'm asking. Put down the useless pos and read something worth while.

February 26, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
    • Unconverted

LOL .. I love it how scared a one line comment makes all of you "believers".

February 26, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
    • Converted

@NVRWRNG

Actually I am educated and believe in science. I also used to be a agnostic leaning toward athiesm... until God put some events into my life that made me believe...strongly. Careful not to put too much faith in man. God bless you.

@unconverted

Scared? LOL

God Bless Us All

February 26, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
    • NVRWRNG

@convereted

So you believe in evolution and the fact that we started from a singularly cell and evolved into a multi-celled being? Cause that's pretty much fact.

February 26, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
    • Converted

@NVRWRNG

I believe in evolution... I believe it is God's model... I believe my spirit resides in this body... I believe that I am a soul and currently have a body. There is more after this life. The good book tries to help us along the way but there are other ways of knowing.

February 26, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • NVRWRNG

Power to you and sticking to it. Just keep science in your life along with religion and you should be okay.

February 26, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • Converted

Thanks. God bless us all.

February 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
  14. Tim

Take this garbage story down.

February 26, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Tim, ummm....who are you talking to and why should CNN remove the story? It is a lot better than most of their stories. At least it is not about Catholics or Muslims doing this or that!

February 26, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
    • JM

I suppose you prefer all the stories about what celebrities are/are not doing? Meaty stuff like that. Or football: what's deeper than football?

February 26, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • Sports Fan

NOTHING is better than football. If you don't enjoy the game of football, you don't understand it or it's subtext.

February 26, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
  15. SHAIARRA

"THE PRICE OF FREEDOM IS ETERNAL VIGILANCE"
    * "The jaws of power are always open to devour, and her arm is always stretched out, if possible, to destroy the freedom of thinking, speaking, and writing."

THOMAS JEFFERSON A DEIST DEM-GOPer

February 26, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
  16. Bootyfunk

this author telling us not to edit and sugarcoat God just edited and sugarcoated God. he says to use the "real" language of the bible, but then he conveniently forgets to discuss one of the harshest words removed from the bible – "slave". half the time you see "servant" in the bible, it should say "slave." Jesus himself tells slaves to obey their masters if they want any chance of getting into heaven. real nice...

and there's a BUNCH of other examples. this author sugarcoats his own article, only mentioning the "harsh" words when it won't make the bible look too bad. he leaves out the harshest of examples himself.

February 26, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • Liberals Are Stupid

Slavery was condoned in Israel as a means of working off debt. There were a number of humanitarian restrictions on how they were treated, and no one could be enslaved for more than 7 years. After that the slave holder had to consider the debt paid in full, set them free and provide a generous stake to help them get started again. Families who fell into slavery together had to be kept together.

Some slaves were so well treated by their masters that at the end of their time they requested to remain life long servants in their master’s household. These slaves were called bond-servants and were trusted and highly regarded members of the household. Exodus 21:2-11 and Leviticus 25:39-55 are good references.

February 26, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • Crad

So if "half the times you see servant it means slave".. What does the other half mean? And every time someone like you brings this up you imply god loves slavery and thats why its good to hate god. Slavery existed during those times. A LOT of slavery, it was very very common. God was addressing the slaves and their hardships. I dont remember seeing anywhere in the bible saying "if you dont like slavery you are going to hell".. Really man, get a grip

February 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

"The slavery practiced in the US and other countries during the 16-1800′s in no way approximated Biblical slavery and was a blemish on human history."
      i'm sorry, but are you insane? that slaves were well treated is the stupidest argument christians come up with to justify slavery. there was no magical time for slaves where they were treated well. yes, there were bond-servants, but not all slaves were bond-servants. most were not. most were beaten and treated terribly just like slaves anywhere. christians try to make the slavery in the bible into a mutual working agreement. do you really think they asked the slaves that built the pyramids if they felt like working? the bible has rules for beating slaves and how to split slaves families up, so don't tell me slaves were friends of the family that just wanted some work. they were slaves.

February 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

and please, in this all "good" book, in this book of fine morals and ethics, in the "perfect" book - show me ONE place where slavery is condemned. just one.

February 26, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • JM

Jesus also tells us that we must become slaves/servants.

Slavery in the world: reprehensible. The slaves themselves: not reprehensible. Those who enslaved others = wicked.

February 26, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • JM

Jesus teaches that in heaven, the last will be first. Ergo: those who are last here are going to be first in God's kingdom. The way it should be.

Read the parable of Lazarus (the beggar) and the king. Lazarus is in heaven but the king "had his good things in this world".

February 26, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

except there is no such thing as a made up la-la land called heaven. so all you have with slavery is human misery.

February 26, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
  17. Scott

I know that this comment will get me grief, and that most of you will choose not to listen, but to ridicule. For those of us that are Christian, we expect ridicule from those that are not. We share the Gospel because we hope that despite that many will reject it, some will accept it and come to know Jesus. We do not share for our glory, recognition, or works. I can't get more saved by sharing the message. After all, the message is that despite your (and my) sin, both past present and future, that belief that the Son of God was sent to suffer and die as payment for our sins. All that we are asked in return is to believe in Jesus, and his sacrifice. We are not asked to earn our way to heaven, this is impossible for us since the target is perfection.

I hope that for all of you, you would have a moment of pause, and ask why I am wasting my time. Why have I chosen to write you a message? Is it really to call out sinners and show that I am better than you? No, I am no better than any of you. I do this to share a loving message from a loving God. Many or most of you will discard this post, but I pray that some will listen.

For those of you that would call me stupid, or ignorant, or brainwashed, I am by occupation an engineer who designs, builds, and tests rockets (there are no "rocket scientists", except those in universities). I am not trying to be boastful, but to illustrate that Christianity is not for the weak, or the stupid, but for those whom love God.

February 26, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

I ridicule you. You are delusional, indoctrinated and brainwashed. Have a nice day though.

February 26, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • momoya

There are intelligent folks in every religion. The human brain is very good at compartmentalizing so that it does not have to apply the same critical process to all its beliefs. Muslim terrorists and christian zealots use the same math because they must–anybody can believe anything about religion because it's possible.

February 26, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • Todd

I appreciate your comments Scott

February 26, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • Mark

Thank you Scott. You are not alone. A book that came out a few years ago "Cosms, bios, and Theos" compiled interviews with contemporary 64 Nobel Prize winners, who found that a belief in God was very consistent with their various fields of science, and a few of them were followers of Christ in particular. Blaise Pascal, a 17 th century French scientist was a follower of Christ. Google "Pascal's wager" or "Pascal's knowledge of the heart". Those who redicule you or me do not do so because of any intellectual conviction, they are simply rebellious against God. And their rebellion is not that of a noble, heroic type such as one of a people rebelling against an oppressive government for example, it is rather that of a wayword teenager who rebels against his/her good and loving parents. Neverthless, our belief or non belief does not alter reality, the reality that God exists, He is all loving and all powerful, and we are all going to stand up before Him one day!

February 26, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • Oh Yeah

Scott
      Have you ever considered that the Bible warns believers that they will be ridiculed because the writers knew that what they were writing was actually nonsensical? It still is. Funny how so many believers want to gloss over that and say that it makes perfect sense when the Bible itself says that it shouldn't.

You can't claim to have faith in something that would make perfect logical sense, can you? Which is why it's silly to say that it takes faith to believe in the Big Bang or evolution, for example.

February 26, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
    • Rasta

That is the main problem I have with christian doctrine/dogma, the idea that people want to essentially escape the results of "sins" as you all call it, by letting someone else take them on. Even to the point of dying so you can escape the results of your "sins".Not only someone, but the most ideal and godly person has to take the brunt. So I always say christianity as it has been propagated over the last, oh, 1,000 years or more is one that espouses human blood sacrifice for the remission of "sins". Not much different than many so-called "pagan" practices, where they sacrifice animals to appease god or gods. Please tell me what's the difference really? Why not take ownership of your own "sins" and be willing to pay your own consequences?

February 26, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • gman

@ The Central Scrutinzer , when you do die and wake up in the eternal flames of torment with satan your

master , i will tell you that's your delusional. But i will wish you well down there.

February 26, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • Scott

@Rasta
      Thank you for a good question. I will try to explain the relationship that I have as a Christian with God, in hopes that it answers your question

I am not perfect. I have sin. I have sin that I love. I struggle every day to turn from sin because of the love of the Father. Just like an addict, I am and always will be a sinner. Sometimes I have good days, and sometimes I have bad days. I am a person who has turned and rebelled against my Father (the Father, God). Before I was saved, I openly rebelled against God. Yet, God was always pursuing me, and always loved me. I only realized that He was always in pursuit after I was saved. I do need Jesus to pay for my sins. However, this breaks my heart that I have caused my Father pain and hurt, and rejected His Love. It's humbling that God sent his Son for me, and His Son willingly died for my sin. I don't feel guilted into being good. I feel like God deserves my best, since he accepted me when I had turned my back on Him, and hated Him for so long. Even still, I will struggle with sin every day, but the fact that I am saved because of an unselfish God's love brings me comfort. God will receive my imperfect love forever because of it.

February 26, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  18. Paul

There is no such thing as an Atheist. Only Hypocrites. And Death will prove the former and the latter.

February 26, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

What? Please explain, your post makes no sense at all.

February 26, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • theTruth

atheist were created by religtions. Without religions, 'Atheist' wouldn't exist. Wow! Now that shows how delusional the religious really are.

February 26, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • IceT

Death as proof ... LOL hahahahehehe tear hohohaha please make it stop! sniff tear ..

February 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • Paul

Simple; atheist say they believe there is no GOD. Yet They attack HIM every chance they get. Hard to understand the logic of attacking, mocking or outright hating that which is believed to NOT exist. Unless.....an element of delusion is at play here.

February 26, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
    • What IF

Paul,

Another one who doesn't understand (after having been told umpty-ump times) that non-believers are not accusing any "God" of anything, nor do they hate one. They are carrying on a conversation, using your premise of an alleged "God", and are discussing the fallacies and contradictions of this imaginary being's purported attributes and ballyhooed accomplishments.

I try to remember to say "your God" or put the name in quotes ("God"), but many people do not.

February 26, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
    • Jeremy

Paul you stereotyping fool how many atheists do you know personally and for how long? My entire family doesn't think imaginary friends are real and the only time we mention something is when fools like you make bigoted comments. Otherwise invisible people are the furthest things from our minds. You just need to accept the fact that there are people who cannot believe in such things as people or person living in the clouds without at least a modest amount of proof and that it has nothing to do with you or other religulous types.

February 26, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • Paul

Wow Jeremy...take a pill. Believe what you wish. Hatred is a very valid emotion. Tell me. What IS an Atheist then if not someone who believes there is no god. Without a god there can be no such thing.You cannot claim to be anything if what you claim to be against is NOT real. Anger is the response of a FOOL....check yourself.

February 26, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
    • Paul

What If; Thank you. I am Happy to claim My GOD. I will stand with HIM. I am not ashamed of the Gospel. I understand that it has been perverted; (rather thoroughly) over the years, but it does not deter me from pursuing MY Creator. Everyone has the right of choose their own path.I just noticed that at the very mention of the God; or the Son of God; The Lord Jesus Christ. Passions are automatically ignited into a cacophony of bickering and all manner of venomous words and attacks ensue. Know your enemy...Know yourself. I am very much at peace with My God.

February 26, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
  19. Atheist #1

Evil,Hell and the Devil are Pure Christian Concepts! The Jewish people Believe that every man contains both Good and Evil traites

February 26, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  20. Abba-Dabba-Du

Facts of the matter are...when someone burns a bible, there's not going to be riots and killings over it. When someone draws a demeaning picture of Jesus, there's not going to be riots and killings over it. That's all that we need to know.

February 26, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • theTruth

that's 'cause we trained the christians to be more civilized.. Hadn't we, it'd Inquisitions all over the world.

February 26, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • theTruth

not to say they are completely civilized, but getting there. Some christians think they never evolved, I'd have to agree. Wish they would though and become civilized as the rest of us.

February 26, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • dehsa

Oh really? Just what does that tell you?? Do you gauge your behavior according to what reaction it ellicits from everybody else? Politics and Chrlistianilty don't mix.

February 26, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91
About this blog