home
RSS
My Take: Stop sugarcoating the Bible
The 17th century painting Judith Beheading Holofernes, by Artemisia Gentileschi, depicts a biblical scene.
February 25th, 2012

My Take: Stop sugarcoating the Bible

Editor's note: Steven James is the author of more than 30 books, including "Flirting with the Forbidden," which explores forgiveness.

By Steven James, Special to CNN

(CNN) - The Bible is a gritty book. Very raw. Very real. It deals with people just like us, just as needy and screwed up as we are, encountering a God who would rather die than spend eternity without them.

Yet despite that, it seems like Christians are uncomfortable with how earthy the Bible really is. They feel the need to tidy up God.

For example, look in any modern translation of Isaiah 64:6, and you’ll find that, to a holy God, even our most righteous acts are like “filthy rags.” The original language doesn’t say “filthy rags”; it says “menstrual rags.” But that sounds a little too crass, so let’s just call them filthy instead.

And let’s not talk so much about Jesus being naked on the cross, and let’s pretend Paul said that he considered his good deeds “a pile of garbage” in Philippians 3:8 rather than a pile of crap, as the Greek would more accurately be translated.

And let’s definitely not mention the six times in the Old Testament that the Jewish writers referred to Gentile men as those who “pisseth against the wall.” (At least the King James Version got that one right.)

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The point?

God’s message was not meant to be run through some arbitrary, holier-than-thou politeness filter. He intended the Bible to speak to people where they’re at, caught up in the stark reality of life on a fractured planet.

Dozens of Psalms are complaints and heart-wrenching cries of despair to God, not holy-sounding, reverently worded soliloquies. Take Psalm 77:1-3: “I cry out to God; yes, I shout. Oh, that God would listen to me! When I was in deep trouble, I searched for the Lord. All night long I prayed, with hands lifted toward heaven, but my soul was not comforted. I think of God, and I moan, overwhelmed with longing for his help” (New Living Translation).

And rather than shy away from difficult and painful topics, the Old Testament includes vivid descriptions of murder, cannibalism, witchcraft, dismemberment, torture, rape, idolatry, erotic sex and animal sacrifice. According to St. Paul, those stories were written as examples and warnings for us (1 Corinthians 10:11). So obviously they were meant to be retold without editing out all the things we don’t consider nice or agreeable.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

I believe that Scripture includes such graphic material to show how far we, as a race, have fallen and how far God was willing to come to rescue us from ourselves.

God is much more interested in honesty than pietism.

And that’s what he gives us throughout Scripture, telling the stories of people who struggled with the same issues, questions and temptations we face today.

Peter struggled with doubt, and we hear all about it.

Elijah dealt with depression; Naomi raged with bitterness against God; Hannah struggled for years under the burden of her unanswered prayers.

David had an affair and then arranged to have his lover’s husband killed. Noah was a drunk, Abraham a liar, Moses a murderer. Job came to a place where he found it necessary to make a covenant with his eyes not to lust after young girls (Job 31:1).

It’s easy to make “Bible heroes” (as Protestants might say) or “saints” (as Catholics might refer to them) out to be bigger than life, immune from the temptations that everyone faces.

I find it encouraging that Jesus never came across as pietistic. In fact, he was never accused of being too religious; instead he partied so much that he was accused of being a drunkard and a glutton (Matthew 11:19).

Jesus never said, “The Kingdom of God is like a church service that goes on and on forever and never ends.” He said the kingdom was like a homecoming celebration, a wedding, a party, a feast to which all are invited.

This idea was too radical for the religious leaders of his day. They were more concerned about etiquette, manners, traditions and religious rituals than about partying with Jesus. And that’s why they missed out.

That’s why we miss out.

According to Jesus, the truly spiritual life is one marked by freedom rather than compulsion (John 8:36), love rather than ritual (Mark 12:30-33) and peace rather than guilt (John 14:27). Jesus saves us from the dry, dusty duties of religion and frees us to cut loose and celebrate.

I don’t believe we’ll ever recognize our need for the light until we’ve seen the depth of the darkness. So God wasn’t afraid to get down and dirty with us about life and temptation and forgiveness. And grace.

Only when the Bible seems relevant to us (which it is), only when the characters seem real to us (which they were), only then will the message of redemption become personal for us (which it was always meant to be).

We don’t need to edit God. We need to let him be the author of our new lives.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Steven James.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • Opinion

soundoff (5,744 Responses)
  1. Fr33th1nk3r

"I have been cleansed in the blood. Have you??" No, my mother taught me it is wrong to drink, bath in, revel in, or crave human blood. Go figure– what is this world coming to when parents aren't forcing their kids to commit canabalism or consume human blood to avoid ending up the fireplace of some marauding demon in the sky?

February 26, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Root post is an example of use of an argument based on a straw man.

February 26, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
  2. Tom

If they can privitize it they can penalize it. If they can penalize it they can criminalize it!

Christianity is NOT about "religion".......It's about RELATIONSHIP! "Religion" reaches out to God...Christianity is about God reaching OUT TO US, in the form of JESUS CHRIST!

February 26, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
  3. denrich

Few things can't explain the whole things. True meaning requires broader understanding not from human biased thinking.

February 26, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
  4. truth2power

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians, they are so unlike your Christ."
    -Gandhi

February 26, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
    • Rick

Gandhi was not a Christian and neither was Stalin. What is the point?

February 26, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • Observer

Clever statement, but no proof he actually said it.

February 26, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • Michaelwg

Stalin wasn't but Hitler was.
      Guess which one used his beliefs to justify his actions? Guess who was a really big Martin Luther fan? Ya know, father of modern Christianity.

February 26, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
    • Michaelwg

Observer, I don't know if you are a Christian, but if you are, you shouldn't use the word "proof" for obvious reasons.

February 26, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
  5. Michaelwg

God doesn't exist. You can edit and cherry pick that book as much as you want.
    In fact. You have.

February 26, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • Matt Slick

Saying God doesn't exist is logically impossible. You cannot know all to know there is no God. But such is the thinking of the irrational.

February 26, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
    • Observer

Matt,

Speaking of the irrational, no one can prove God exists either.

February 26, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
    • jacksodm

The bible, both the old and the new testament are the original internet...so full of bull bleep that we can't tell fact from fiction.
      Too many scribes pontificating on what the think they saw and then having it translated a over and over.
      I'm sorry, but the bible is a matter of opinion.

February 26, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • PS

Matt - My god is a tea kettle floating around the planet Neptune. Now prove me wrong.

Yeah – that's what I thought.

February 26, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
  6. ashrakay

@Chad, This is for you, who said, "If you can find one single good thing to have ever come out of atheism, please let me know. The atheist record is dismal." Consider yourself schooled. (Incidentally, the list of atheist contributors to the betterment of mankind is extremely long and would be impossible to post here. I simplified it down for you.

Douglas Adams (Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy), Sir Arthur C. Clarke (who proposed satellite communication that you are likely using daily), George Orwell, Ayn Rand (without whom the tea party would be forced to admit they've never read a book), H.G. Wells, Roger Waters and David Gilmour (thank you Pink Floyd for making work bearable), Eddie Vedder (thank you for making the 90s bearable), Sergei Prokofiev (Peter and the Wolf is genius!), Kevin Bacon (for making 6 degrees of atheists more fun), Russell T Davies (Doctor Who?), George Clooney (well Batman was evil, I'll agree), Charlie Chaplin, Guillermo del Toro, (Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth), Stanley Kubrick, I'LL LEAVE OFF MOST OF THE SCIENCE PEOPLE, THE LIST IS LONG (I suspect you wouldn't know most of them anyway), Albert Einstein (without whom the world would be a very different place), Richard Feynman (without whom the would would be less quantumy), Sigmund Freud (without whom the world would be a little crazier), Stephen Hawking (without whom we'd never be able to use that funny robot voice), and Carl Sagan (who probably did more than any other person to educate people about the world around them).

February 26, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • Guest

I imagine everyone you mentioned, ashkray, has been or will be baptized by the Mormons.

February 26, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
    • Sue

Chad is dismal, and stupid.

February 26, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
    • Barb

Albert Einstein wasn't atheist. He didn't believe the way most people do. A famous quote by him is "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

February 26, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • ashrakay

@Guest, Lol!

@Barb, Please dig a little deeper before commenting. There is such a thing as evidence. Nothing stated in my message was done so without having a sufficient amount of it:
      "I received your letter of June 10th. I have never talked to a Jesuit priest in my life and I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me. From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist." Albert Einstein, letter to Guy H. Raner Jr, July 2, 1945, responding to a rumor that a Jesuit priest had caused Einstein to convert from atheism

February 26, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
    • Barb

Perhaps you should read that again. As he states that in the view of a priest he is and always has been an atheist. Not that he believed he was an atheist. He believed in a great number of things, religion being one of them. He did NOT believe in a personal God, and that is one thing that makes most people assume he was an atheist. When asked about such things by others, he would not say he was an atheist, because he did believe in something.

February 26, 2012 at 7:04 pm |
    • ashrakay

@Barb, What? I provided a quote from Albert Einstein saying that "I am, of course, and have always been an atheist." and you take that as him saying that he is not an atheist? That maybe from a perspective of a catholic priest he wouldn't be an atheist... or maybe he was a secret muslim... your argument seems a bit quibbling. I agree that Einstein did not believe in a personal god. And if you read all of Einstein's comments about god he points only to the concept of "order." If you want to call god, order, then you're just getting into semantics. It's like me saying god is everything, therefore god exists because everything is god. By the standard of any religious person, Einstein would be considered an atheist.

February 26, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
    • ashrakay

@Barb, Incidentally, by the standard you are ascribing to Einstein, most atheists would not be considered atheists as we believe in a governing order, whether that be called gravity, entropy, or quantum mechanics.

February 26, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
  7. Country Pastor

I for one as a small country church pastor am refreshed by such an article, I'm teaching a class in my church on Seeing God as He Longs For You To See Him, it is a series by Living On The Edge. Let me just say, this article fits perfectly with that class. Steven James you nailed it on the head, and let me tell you to those spewing hate under this article, I'm so very sorry that the truth has caused such an issue. I will proclaim this same message day in and day out!

February 26, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • In Reason I Trust

Truth? Magic gardens, magic apples, talking snakes, talking bushes, magic tablets, magic canes, magic wine, magic babies, etc. Fairy tales my friend, no truth. But you being a pastor I can see how oh might be reluctant to stop the donations your "truth" brings in. 😉

February 26, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
    • Rick

Don't you think you should be actually presenting the message of Christ and not this man?

February 26, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
    • Fr33th1nk3r

Well, the offering dish is the one common element between all the different denominations of Chrisitianity...at least it may be worth some spiritual value if the teachings are not.

February 26, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
    • Bizarre

Country Pastor,

I really don't know how you can with any seriousness teach something called, "Seeing God as He Longs For You To See Him" .

"God" 'longs' for stuff? A perfect being does not lack or long for anything. Anyone purporting to know *anything* about this being is winging it.... there is no verified evidence for this being; nor is there verified evidence that it ever spoke or otherwise imparted any information to primitive Hebrews or to anyone else.

February 26, 2012 at 7:04 pm |
  8. TURN2CHRIST

amen! God Loves You! AMEN

The Bible says, "God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life"

The problem is that . . .

2 All of us have done, said or thought things that are wrong. This is called sin, and our sins have separated us from God.

The Bible says “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” God is perfect and holy, and our sins separate us from God forever. The Bible says “The wages of sin is death.”

The good news is that, about 2,000 years ago,

3 God sent His only Son Jesus Christ to die for our sins.

Jesus is the Son of God. He lived a sinless life and then died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins. “God demonstrates His own love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.”

Jesus rose from the dead and now He lives in heaven with God His Father. He offers us the gift of eternal life – of living forever with Him in heaven if we accept Him as our Lord and Savior. Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except by Me."

God reaches out in love to you and wants you to be His child. "As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe on His name." You can choose to ask Jesus Christ to forgive your sins and come in to your life as your Lord and Savior.

4 If you want to accept Christ as your Savior and turn from your sins, you can ask Him to be your Savior and Lord by praying a prayer like this:

"Lord Jesus, I believe you are the Son of God. Thank you for dying on the cross for my sins. Please forgive my sins and give me the gift of eternal life. I ask you in to my life and heart to be my Lord and Savior. I want to serve you always."

February 26, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • Peter

Oh, give me a break...

February 26, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
    • Michaelwg

Ignorant

February 26, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • Observer

How about quoting all the BAD things Jesus said about heteros? Hypocritical Christians miss them when using the Bible to pick on gays Typical.

February 26, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
  9. ANGEL

LOL!! Nothing gets people goin more than Religion, I swear Religion will be the destruction of MANKIND!!!

February 26, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • NVRWRNG

amen

February 26, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • KC

Religion IS the downfall of mankind. Christians can not live with atheists because Christians are intolerant and disrespectful to anyone not like them, hypocrites so bad it defies imagination!

February 26, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
  10. SOMEONE CARES FOR YOU! AMEN!

amen! God Loves You!

The problem is that . . .

The good news is that, about 2,000 years ago,

3 God sent His only Son Jesus Christ to die for our sins.

February 26, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • The Truth

A being that kills a whole peoples first born babies is not a loving and caring "God". Most Christians fight to save unborn children yet your God will kill living, first born children from an entire population. Also if one story isnt true in the Bible how can the rest be? Can we pick and choose the stories for truth since we can't prove them? How about the rules listed? As in selling our daughters to slavery or "Thou shalt not kill"? If we follow one we must follow all of them to make God happy or no golden brick road for you.

February 26, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
  11. Can you name it?

Ypu should read your bibles sirs. You'll find all sorts of interesting stuff in there. For instance, did you know Jesus was a jew??

February 26, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Really? A Jew? I'd always wondered about that.

February 26, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
    • In Reason I Trust

That's not true, all Americans know Jesus is a six foot tall white man with long blonde hair and crystal blue eyes and that He always votes republican.

February 26, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • NVRWRNG

Voting repub would be better than this currently.....

February 26, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Odd how I can post without being online at all.

February 26, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • Observer

NVRWRNG,

Tell us that Jesus would support the guy who said he talks to God all the time and then started a war for false reasons.

February 26, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • Can you name it?

You guys are straying from the topic here. and I vote Sata...I mean Santorum. How about you?

February 26, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • Can you name it?

Mr. Pipers son, you have officially confused the lowly stoner

February 26, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
    • NVRWRNG

Observer
      NVRWRNG,

Huh? I think Jesus is dead. Would be pretty hard for him to vote one way or another and regardless of who you are talking to (many wars have been started by religious presidents) that is all moot.

February 26, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Don't be confused. It's just herbie the burbler.

February 26, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
  12. pacoder

God didn't write the bible. Duh.

February 26, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • truth2power

It's nothing more than a collection of bronze age fairy-tails.

February 26, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
  13. Gods Hammer

To all you non-believers out there, I shall laugh so hard I piddle myself when you are cast into the eternal flames of below!! Confess your sins or burn for eternity!! God can and will save you but you must first be purified through the saving blood of our one true savior Christ the Lord!

February 26, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • Observer2

Not really a laughing matter. I suspect you're just another atheist troll.

February 26, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Taking pleasure at the agony and suffering of others — how totally and typically Christian! I guess it's your way of emulating the Great Invisible Sadist in the Sky, huh?

February 26, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • pacoder

There are the real Christian values we're familiar with, arrogant, judgmental, and prideful.

February 26, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
    • sean

ummmm....yea

February 26, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
    • TURN2CHRIST

ummm its okay to prreach holiness but your not supposed to act like you want people to burn forever as if you want that

February 26, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • Gods Hammer

Do I sound like I'm laughing? I'm worried about your eternal souls here! And I can't be both a typical Christian AND an athiest troll. pick your insults more wisely sinners. I have been cleansed in the blood. Have you??

February 26, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • Rick

An atheist that has capitalized G in God in that moniker.That is a good start.
      Now for the important part-Ask yourself the question first. Have you accepted the plan of salvation as offered by Jesus?

February 26, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • Fr33th1nk3r

So....what you are telling us, is that:

1) You need to have the last word SOOOOOOOO badly, that you delight in watching fellow humans being tortured horribly.
      2) You have poor bladder control and have a tendency to "piddle" yourself when excited.
      3) We have to commit canabalism in order to avoid this terrible fate you and your deity have lined up for us.

The Taliban, Al-Queda, and Tomas de Torquemada would be proud of you....

February 26, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
    • dalis

If that makes you laugh, you'll burn for being a hypocrite.

February 26, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
    • Gods Hammer

Mock me now. We shall see who's laughing when you end up in the eternal fires. Fools used to mock Jesus too, how well did that work out for them?

February 26, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • Michaelwg

You are what is defined as a "Useful idiot"
      Right now, according to your brand of Christianity, every Jew that died in the Holocaust is burning in hell for not accepting Jesus. Is that funny?
      Every Atheist i've ever met is far more thoughtful than the most thoughtful Christian I've ever met. You can have your Jesus, I'll take my I.Q

February 26, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I don't know. How did it work for them? Can you prove any of them are in "hell"? That any who obeyed Christ and God are in "heaven"? If so, I'll be waiting for your proof with bated breath.

February 26, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • Fr33th1nk3r

I AM mocking you now, GOD'S HAMMER. You believe that you have to commit canabalism and bathe your children in blood in order to avoid ending up some great cosmic bonfire.

Even if all of this were true– you deserve to be mocked for worshipping any being that demands its followers commit canabalism to satisfy its perverse needs. Normally, people worship things or people that are better than them, and that they wish to emulate. Why would I worship this monster you describe– if it cannot even live up to my own lowly human standards of morality?

February 26, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • Gods Hammer

How well do you think that I.Q. will serve you in hell? Worry not of things of this world, concern yourselves with what is to come!! And yes, the jews are in hell. They not only killed our Christ, but also knew of his teachings and denied him! Have you pity for those who murder the innocent? wierd...so I suppose Cacey Anthony is innocent to right? You vile sinner

February 26, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

LKJS;dfiuoua;'? oiuolknlnlbbwh1! Oiuosdnlmlgu= oinkn . ;lioowpmboine.co "owiueruo " O O Llowierh hg!!!

Makes about as much sense as anything you've posted, Hammertoe.

February 26, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
  14. jnance

I guess the author overlooked the New World Translation in his summary of 'any modern translation', because it accuratly renders Isaiah 64:4 "garment for periods of menstuation".

February 26, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
  15. SOMEONE CARES FOR YOU! AMEN!

amen! God Loves You!

The problem is that . . .

The good news is that, about 2,000 years ago,

3 God sent His only Son Jesus Christ to die for our sins.

CRYTOGOD.COM, KLOVE.COM, CBN.COM

February 26, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Yeah, see, we know that you're copying and pasting this same diatribe, over and over, from an external source, because it's actually literate. But you should try to mix it up a little bit — find some OTHER Chick tract to parrot. Maybe your mom can show you how to look for them.

February 26, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
  16. SOMEONE CARES FOR YOU! AMEN!

JESUS2020.COM AMEN WANNA KNOW HOW GET SAVED!!!!!!!!

COME ON CHRISTRIANS LET PREACH GOSPOEL! AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONFESS ALL KNOWN SINS, BE FILLED WITH HOLY SPIRIT, AND PREACH AWAY AND LET HOLY SPIRIT CONTROL!~ AMEN!
    IF WE ARE ASHAMED OF CHRIST HE WILL BE OF US.......

February 26, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • The Truth

Preach it brother! Lets start killing people for working on Sundays! Lets start selling our daughters into slavery! Lets egg anyone with long hair! The Bible tells us to do these things!

February 26, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
    • TURN2CHRIST

The........im not same as you.......

February 26, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • KC

Bite me. Who are you to preach to me? I'll tell you, nobody.

February 26, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
  17. NVRWRNG

Mrtrdrvr
    You've failed to take into account that there Is a GOD and He is able to protect and preserve His word.

Really, prove it to me. Have an intelligent conversation with me.

February 26, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
    • HenryO

Perhaps the burden should be on you. Prove to me that there ISN'T a God. I'm waiting.

February 26, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • Justice

It will be pretty hard to have an intelligent conversation with someone who believe that we're coming down from monkeys. lol

February 26, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
    • NVRWRNG

I'm still working on proving there is no Easter Bunny.

February 26, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
    • Michaelwg

Justice, please learn a bit more about evolution, no scientist ever said we "came down from monkeys"

February 26, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
    • NVRWRNG

The easter bunny comment wasn't me. But nice try. I can't prove to you for fact that there is no god. But I can sure has heck disprove a lot of things. Plus, we kind of came from monkeys, technically speaking, more like ancients to the monkeys. We actually started as singularly celled organisms. Science has proven the fact that it is possible. A asteroid hitting earth and bringing some sort of microbiotic life to the planet is more intelligently rational then a man sitting in a cloud going "boom, let's watch this unfold!"

February 26, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • NVRWRNG

@HenryO – Also, the burden is on you. There is nothing until proven otherwise. You aren't allowed at a conclusion without facts. So until you give me scientific facts, there is NOTHING. Until the day some guy comes down and shakes my hand an tells me who he is, I'll stick to science.

February 26, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
  18. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

OK I'm back. I haven't been fucked like that since I was a Girl Scout! SOMEONE CARES FOR YOU... No one cares and nothing matters, moron.

February 26, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Amazing how I can post when I'm at the grocery store.

February 26, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
  19. Less B Frank

For those who are lost (without Christ) it is no wonder that you continually show contempt and disrespect for persons of faith. Your unwillingness to believe in God and his Son Jesus is not differcult to understand. You are of the world the world is awash in sin. Christians are told by Christian to be both Salt and Light in the world. Many preachers and clergy do not demonstrate these attributes and will be held for account for misguiding their folks.
    Christians are instructed by Christ to be both Salt and Light in the world. Many preachers and clergy do not demonstrate these attributes and will be held for account for misguiding their folks. Many Christians are in various stages for their spirital growth. It is a continual process of understanding the Word, Christ's teaching and growing in the spirit. We are all works in progress. There was only ever one perfect person, perfect being sinless. That is Christ and He is God

February 26, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
    • NVRWRNG

Actually it is difficult to understand, more difficult than science. So if you will, please, explain it to me. But in nowhere do I want to hear the phrase "its gods will" or "it is how god wants it to be." Thanks in advance.

February 26, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Wy should we believe any of this? Just because YOU say so? How do YOU know? What makes YOU an authority?

February 26, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
    • Fr33th1nk3r

Provide proof of at least one of the magicks you describe in your rant, or shut up.

February 26, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
    • In Reason I Trust

Oh so it's sin that makes me not believe in talking snakes and magic apples! All this time I thought it was common sense but you have shown me it's just sin. Thank you sir!

February 26, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
    • Michaelwg

Nah, it's not contempt. It's more like we are adults dealing with children. It gets aggravating after a while

February 26, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
    • KC

Talk about disrespect, you obviously don't respect non believers so why should we respect your shoving your beliefs down our throats?

February 26, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
    • KC

There it is, NO respect. Shove your "lost" bull, holier than christ.

February 26, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
  20. SOMEONE CARES FOR YOU! AMEN!

JESUS2020.COM AMEN WANNA KNOW HOW GET SAVED!!!!!!!!

AMEN

February 26, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • NVRWRNG

It's people like you who ruin it for the actual believers. Most true, whole hearted believers keep to themselves, will have a rational talk with you, and don't proclaim there beliefs upon anyone else. Religion is supposed to be personal, even though you can share it amongst colleagues and friends, in its most righteous display it is meant to be private. You give fuel to people like me, who don't believe. I have no problem in anyone believing in god (as long as they are scientifically educated to the fullest extent). But you my friend, give believer the worst name possible. Keep your faith to yourself. Preach it to your loved ones but don't spew bogus statements out loud.

February 26, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
    • Bob

NVR-Why are you propagating your belief? Why is it that you are allowed to be LOUD and vocal about your belief but a Christian ought to remain silent?
      The gospel ought to be shared with everyone and around the globe. Live with it!

February 26, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • NVRWRNG

@Bob – the book was not written for people to prance around the streets and shout the name of a dead guy. If you feel this way, you are the minority as well.

February 26, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

You're really a Communist masquerading as a Christian to discredit them by seeming monumentally stupid, aren't you?

February 26, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
    • Bob

Get over yourself! the gospel has been preached for over 2000 years now and will continue to be long after you and I have gone...

February 26, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • NVRWRNG

@bob – Never claimed that it wouldn't be. But if you think it needs to be proclaimed throughout the streets. You are wrong in so many ways. Keep your faith to yourself and I won't have to shove scientific explanations of why you are wrong down yours.

February 26, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
    • Bob

Neither the Gospels nor Science are owned by anyone or any group in particular be it theists or atheists. It is free for ALL.

February 26, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • NVRWRNG

@Bob – science disproves some of your theist ideals. You can't possibly be a whole-hearted theist and believe everything in science. They contradict themselves in so many ways.

February 26, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • KC

Thankyou NVRWRNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ya you right.

February 26, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91
About this blog