home
RSS
My Take: Stop sugarcoating the Bible
The 17th century painting Judith Beheading Holofernes, by Artemisia Gentileschi, depicts a biblical scene.
February 25th, 2012

My Take: Stop sugarcoating the Bible

Editor's note: Steven James is the author of more than 30 books, including "Flirting with the Forbidden," which explores forgiveness.

By Steven James, Special to CNN

(CNN) - The Bible is a gritty book. Very raw. Very real. It deals with people just like us, just as needy and screwed up as we are, encountering a God who would rather die than spend eternity without them.

Yet despite that, it seems like Christians are uncomfortable with how earthy the Bible really is. They feel the need to tidy up God.

For example, look in any modern translation of Isaiah 64:6, and you’ll find that, to a holy God, even our most righteous acts are like “filthy rags.” The original language doesn’t say “filthy rags”; it says “menstrual rags.” But that sounds a little too crass, so let’s just call them filthy instead.

And let’s not talk so much about Jesus being naked on the cross, and let’s pretend Paul said that he considered his good deeds “a pile of garbage” in Philippians 3:8 rather than a pile of crap, as the Greek would more accurately be translated.

And let’s definitely not mention the six times in the Old Testament that the Jewish writers referred to Gentile men as those who “pisseth against the wall.” (At least the King James Version got that one right.)

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The point?

God’s message was not meant to be run through some arbitrary, holier-than-thou politeness filter. He intended the Bible to speak to people where they’re at, caught up in the stark reality of life on a fractured planet.

Dozens of Psalms are complaints and heart-wrenching cries of despair to God, not holy-sounding, reverently worded soliloquies. Take Psalm 77:1-3: “I cry out to God; yes, I shout. Oh, that God would listen to me! When I was in deep trouble, I searched for the Lord. All night long I prayed, with hands lifted toward heaven, but my soul was not comforted. I think of God, and I moan, overwhelmed with longing for his help” (New Living Translation).

And rather than shy away from difficult and painful topics, the Old Testament includes vivid descriptions of murder, cannibalism, witchcraft, dismemberment, torture, rape, idolatry, erotic sex and animal sacrifice. According to St. Paul, those stories were written as examples and warnings for us (1 Corinthians 10:11). So obviously they were meant to be retold without editing out all the things we don’t consider nice or agreeable.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

I believe that Scripture includes such graphic material to show how far we, as a race, have fallen and how far God was willing to come to rescue us from ourselves.

God is much more interested in honesty than pietism.

And that’s what he gives us throughout Scripture, telling the stories of people who struggled with the same issues, questions and temptations we face today.

Peter struggled with doubt, and we hear all about it.

Elijah dealt with depression; Naomi raged with bitterness against God; Hannah struggled for years under the burden of her unanswered prayers.

David had an affair and then arranged to have his lover’s husband killed. Noah was a drunk, Abraham a liar, Moses a murderer. Job came to a place where he found it necessary to make a covenant with his eyes not to lust after young girls (Job 31:1).

It’s easy to make “Bible heroes” (as Protestants might say) or “saints” (as Catholics might refer to them) out to be bigger than life, immune from the temptations that everyone faces.

I find it encouraging that Jesus never came across as pietistic. In fact, he was never accused of being too religious; instead he partied so much that he was accused of being a drunkard and a glutton (Matthew 11:19).

Jesus never said, “The Kingdom of God is like a church service that goes on and on forever and never ends.” He said the kingdom was like a homecoming celebration, a wedding, a party, a feast to which all are invited.

This idea was too radical for the religious leaders of his day. They were more concerned about etiquette, manners, traditions and religious rituals than about partying with Jesus. And that’s why they missed out.

That’s why we miss out.

According to Jesus, the truly spiritual life is one marked by freedom rather than compulsion (John 8:36), love rather than ritual (Mark 12:30-33) and peace rather than guilt (John 14:27). Jesus saves us from the dry, dusty duties of religion and frees us to cut loose and celebrate.

I don’t believe we’ll ever recognize our need for the light until we’ve seen the depth of the darkness. So God wasn’t afraid to get down and dirty with us about life and temptation and forgiveness. And grace.

Only when the Bible seems relevant to us (which it is), only when the characters seem real to us (which they were), only then will the message of redemption become personal for us (which it was always meant to be).

We don’t need to edit God. We need to let him be the author of our new lives.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Steven James.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • Opinion

soundoff (5,744 Responses)
  1. Homemade Solar Panels

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all folks you really recognize what you are speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly also seek advice from my web site =). We may have a hyperlink exchange contract among us

April 26, 2012 at 12:45 am |
  2. thaikvinder i danmark

Pretty element of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to claim that I get actually enjoyed account your weblog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing in your feeds or even I achievement you get admission to persistently rapidly.

April 25, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
  3. search engine marketing,sem,seo,advertise,business opportinity,business,make money

My brother recommended I may like this blog. He was totally right. This submit truly made my day. You cann't imagine just how so much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

April 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
  4. Photo Engraved Pendants

It's actually a nice and useful piece of info. I'm satisfied that you shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

April 23, 2012 at 3:03 am |
  5. Troy

Really good article.

April 20, 2012 at 10:01 am |
  6. shoppingdeal

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I have learn this post and if I may just I wish to counsel you few fascinating things or tips. Perhaps you can write next articles relating to this article. I want to read even more things about it!

April 20, 2012 at 10:00 am |
  7. G.R. daily deals

Hi there, You have done an incredible job. I?ll certainly digg it and individually recommend to my friends. I'm sure they'll be benefited from this website.

April 19, 2012 at 9:52 am |
  8. Goddog

So the author states that he knows the mind of god. He wants his coffee black and no one should use cream or sugar. God wants us to drink it black. The arrogance of believers never ceases to amaze me. He says that god wants us to be honest, yet, if I honestly don't believe he exists, I get to spend eternity in h@ll? I have a question; Is there free will in Heaven?

April 18, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • nathandf

The author has only made claims that can be shown in scripture – and yes, there must be free will in heaven or Lucifer (Satan) would not have been able to attempt a revolt. By the way, your believing or not believing has nothing to do with the truth- and voting on it in a CNN poll won't change that. Sorry

April 19, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
  9. Recurring profits, make money online,seo blackhat, fast cash

I just like the valuable information you supply on your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. I am somewhat sure I will be told plenty of new stuff proper right here! Best of luck for the following!

April 16, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
  10. Smangele

This is the second time in just five mnteius that I've seen this particular viewer being used for flickr favorites. How do I find such utility? Lovely favourites by the by.Chris T.’s last blog post..

April 3, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
  11. Topden

Newepiphany thanks for your mcoments. Living in the reality that the bible was written by men, not God is a good place to be. I too live in that reality. I was watching the National Geographic special about Stephen Hawking and his Theory of Everything and I was reminded (once again) that I live in the reality of a universe created by a really, really smart God. I like that reality too.

April 3, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
  12. Reinaldo

Hi. After years of trial and error and wasted time and money lnarnieg how to make money online I have finally learned one thing adult websites are by far the fastest and easiest way to quickly begin earning online.If you are serious about an adult website you either need to provide your own content or team up with a good affiliate program. Since you're asking this I will assume you don't have content I use a web cam site with a well known, established affiliate program to generate about $750 $1200 per month every month quickly and easily. I get paid every single week and earn up to $80 for every FREE member I refer to my site. You also get a $50 CASH bonus just for signing up. You don't have to pay anything to get started and my program is staffed 24/7 with affiliate support reps to ensure you know how to make money. I currently convert better than 1 in 150 unique visitors, so I know for a fact this is a great web cam affiliate program. Check out my blog for more info look for the "Adult Webmasters Wanted" page on the upper right hand side of the page. Good luck!

April 1, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
  13. Rajendra

What a great website! I just want to make sure I'm danrieg the chart correctly so I sign up for the right color. I am in Greenville/Spartanburg area of SC. I believe I am in the Green which would be May 6th??

April 1, 2012 at 7:50 am |
  14. 1st

One is not to add or take away from scripture. The biggest COVER-UP in scripture is that of the true jews, REV.2:9. REV 3:9, Behold, I will make them of the Synagogue of satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee. Also read Gen 49:8-12, Hebrew 7:14, For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning the priesthood.

March 21, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
  15. Lisa Shih

My friend sent me this article. The following is part of my reply to his email and a response to this article: Thank you for the article you have sent. I can only say that the person who has focused on the "errors" in the bible, rather than taking the bible as a whole and opening their heart to God's word is bereft of all the blessings God can offer to him. Even he is correct in saying the original word "menstrual rags" is closer to the meaning of the original text, the "sugarcoating" did not undermine a shred of the truth what that passage is trying to convey. For people who prefer to study bible that translates less liberally and closer to the original can opt for such translation. Faith comes by hearing of the word; if people are stubborn in their hearts and refuse to listen to His words, he has shut the door that leads to "the way, the truth, and the life." Whether that person gets that eternal truth is the work of God and the Holy Spirit. So if he remains an unbeliever, he can only pray earnestly to God for helping him see His truth and people who care about them can also do the same.

March 19, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
    • LinCA

@Lisa Shih

You said, "I can only say that the person who has focused on the "errors" in the bible, rather than taking the bible as a whole and opening their heart to God's word is bereft of all the blessings God can offer to him."
      Actually, the errors and contradictions in the bible make it highly unlikely any of it is true, including it's basic premise that there is a god, anywhere close to resembling the christian one.

Actually, faith comes from unquestioningly accepting the word. It comes from blind obedience and gullibility.

Do you pray to all the gods that you don't believe in? Do you pray even to the ones not yet invented? By your logic (or the lack thereof), you shouldn't really skip any single one, right?

I've got a news flash for you. Someone who doesn't believe these gods exist will never pray to them. Praying to gods that you don't believe in is even more ludicrous than praying to the ones you do believe in.

March 19, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
    • Lisa Shih

Your response to what i wrote: You said, "Faith comes by hearing of the word; if people are stubborn in their hearts and refuse to listen to His words, he has shut the door that leads to "the way, the truth, and the life.""

–>my response: I did not say “Faith comes by hearing of the word.” The apostle Paul who has sacrificed his life witnessing for Christ did. “Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ” (Romans 10: 17).

Your response: Blind obedience and gullibility is not faith. It is blind obedience and gullibility.

My response: If one blindly accepts what people said about the contradictions and errors in the bible without even reading about the bible thoroughly, wouldn’t it be “blind obedience” for them and too quick to make a judgment before they have a chance to study the bible more thoroughly?

“Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see” (Hebrew 11: 1).

Your response: You said, "Whether that person gets that eternal truth is the work of God and the Holy Spirit."There is no "eternal truth" that "is the work of god and the holy spirit". It's all a fairy tale.

My response-I did not say that. Jesus did. Jesus who people said have healed the sick, the lame, the blind, and resurrected the dead said this, “But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come” (John 16: 13).
      John 14:26
      26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
      In order to receive the holy spirit, you have to repent in your heart and ask God for forgiveness of your sins.
      Acts 2:38
      38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Your response to my writing: You said, "So if he remains an unbeliever, he can only pray earnestly to God for helping him see His truth and people who care about them can also do the same."

My response–I don't think it is ludicrous to pray like this at all: “God, I don’t really know if you exist or not, but if you do, please help me to overcome my unbelief; please open my eyes, my ears, so I can see the truth."

March 20, 2012 at 3:04 am |
    • Lisa Shih

Correction: "Blind obedience and gullibility is not faith. It is blind obedience and gullibility. " That was my response, not yours.

March 20, 2012 at 3:11 am |
    • Lisa Shih

Correction: the statement about "Blind obedience and gullibility is not faith..." That was my response, not yours. Sorry 🙂

March 20, 2012 at 3:14 am |
    • LinCA

@Lisa Shih

You said, "I did not say “Faith comes by hearing of the word.” The apostle Paul who has sacrificed his life witnessing for Christ did."
      You did say it. Please read your original post, if you don't believe me. You may have simply been repeating what someone else said, but if it was a quote, you didn't attribute it to the original author/speaker.

You said, "If one blindly accepts what people said about the contradictions and errors in the bible without even reading about the bible thoroughly, wouldn’t it be “blind obedience” for them and too quick to make a judgment before they have a chance to study the bible more thoroughly?"
      Why do you bring this up? Do you think I haven't given the bible it's due attention? I have, and it is in large part the reason that I consider beliefs in gods and religion to be nonsense. It is no different than a childish belief in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy.

The blatant errors, the contradictions, the vileness and downright despotic monster of a god in the bible make it abundantly clear that it is nothing more than the fables of ancient tribes. The complete and utter lack of even the slightest shred of evidence in support of the notion of any gods, let alone the christian one, make it completely unreasonable to believe any of it.

You said, "I did not say that. Jesus did."
      There you go again, quoting without proper attribution.

You said, "I don't think it is ludicrous to pray like this at all: “God, I don’t really know if you exist or not, but if you do, please help me to overcome my unbelief; please open my eyes, my ears, so I can see the truth.""
      I have no doubt that you don't find that ludicrous, or even silly, but you should see it from where I'm sitting. But you didn't answer my question. You apparently think that people should pray to gods that they don't believe in, but do you? Do you pray to Allah, Zeus, Thor, Bob the Magical Blue Sock, The Flying Spaghetti Monster and the millions of other imaginary friends?

So, do you pray to gods you don't believe in? If you do, which ones? All, or just a select few? Do you rotate through? If you don't, why? And if you don't, then why would you expect anyone else to?

Cheers.

March 20, 2012 at 10:35 am |
    • Lisa

Thank you for your reply. I can tell that you are a person who is a thinking individual who is earnestly searching for truth and refuse to blindly follow any set of religious beliefs. I laud you for your relentless pursuit of truth. Continue with your search for truth. I have a nice quote with you that really resonates deeply with me: "Faith is neither a way of knowing nor a source of knowledge. Faith is rather an opennness and wholehearted response to God's self-revelation. It does not preclude thinking either about what we believe or about what we are unsure of, nor does it make it unnecessary to search for truthor to examine evidence and arguments. Faith does not cancel out created human activities; rather it motivates, purges, and guided them. " Sorry for assuming that you have not read the bible thoroughly. And you may have read the Bible in its entirety whereas I have not. There are many parts of Bible I have not had the chance to read through. I am still learning and seeking evidences and having a lot of probing questions. It is just that as I read more, I find more evidence to believe the truth in the bible. I find Pastor John Piper's sermons very helpful to my spiritual journey (his sermons are available in his website is desiringgod.org). Thank you fro exchanging your thoughts with me. It is my sincere prayer that you continue with your earnest journey for truth. It is my sincere prayer that you may be blessed abundantly.

March 20, 2012 at 11:25 am |
    • Lisa

That quote above is from "The Idea of a Christian College" by Arthur F. Holmes.

March 20, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • Lisa

I just want you to know that my previous reply is written sincerely without any slightest sarcastic tone.

March 20, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • jimtanker

Lisa, to help you in your research I would like to point you to a wonderful website: ironchariots.org. This is an apologist/counter-apologist website. If you truely have an open mind then you wont be a believer much longer.

March 20, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • Lisa

I will check out the website. But you will promise to check out John Piper's sermons as well. 😉

March 20, 2012 at 11:47 am |
    • jimtanker

I am already checking out that website and it looks like any other evangelical website that I've been on. I dont take anything on faith and using the bible to prove that the bible is true means absolutely nothing to me.

If you cannot provide evidience that your basic assumptions are true then you have no agrument. There is no evidence that there is a god or that Jesus ever lived or that the bible is devinely inspired. Until that can be produced then I will never believe.

March 20, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • jimtanker

@Lisa,

From that website that you suggested: “Therefore, God’s will for America under his mighty hand, is that every Christian, every Jew, every Muslim, every person of every religion or non-religion, turn from sin and come to Jesus Christ for forgiveness and eternal life. Jesus rules the wind. The tornadoes were his.”

What an evil and manipulative god you worship. Even if I believed in a god there is no way that I would worship a being that does things like that on a whim. And you are probably a better person than one that would believe this claptrap as well.

March 20, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • Lisa

It would make a lot of sense to me that God chose to reveal himself by His own word. If you have the patience, please turn into John Piper's sermons (videos). Listen to a few of them. I just went to his conference on Future Grace. He is not a typical preacher. His websites contain all the live sermons–just click on http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/sermons/by-date/2012 for his most recent ones. Thanks.

March 20, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • jimtanker

@ Lisa,

I assure you that I will when I get home from work later today. I doubt that will be swayed and I am confounded that you say that you are, “still learning and seeking evidences and having a lot of probing questions.” You sound like you are already brainwashed by this cult.

It is too bad that you can’t look at this world with an open mind like some of us can and realize that this is the only life you get.

March 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • LinCA

@Lisa/Lisa Shih (I'm going out on a limb here and proceed on the assumption you are the same person)

Thank you for your reply, but you still didn't answer my question.

From your original post, it is apparent that you think that people should pray to gods that they don't believe in, but do practice as you preach?

Cheers.

March 21, 2012 at 8:44 am |
    • Lisa Shih

One survivor from the most recent mass-killing in Norway shared his experience in NPR. He said, while the killer was looking for the next victims, he was praying very hard, even though at that point he did not have any spiritual belief in God, but in the moment he felt the most vulnerable and helpless, he was praying earnestly. Yes, we can pray even if we don't know to whom we are praying. I did it before I was a Christian. But now as a Christian, I know exactly to whom I am praying; I learned about Him through the Gospels. Gospels are written based on the witness accounts of Jesus' miracles and what he has said. Many of his disciples and his followers were and are persecuted and martyred by spreading the gospels. He preached only the truth and wanted all of us to love one another as he has loved us. He even urges us to love our enemies and is willing to lay down his life for us. For people who are turned off by the image of the vindictive, vengeful God, I would suggest that please reread the four gospels about Jesus, his deeds and his word, people would know that the wrathful God is not what God is all about. God hates sin and will punish the sinners, but He is merciful also. He provides all sinners (anyone of us) saving grace to redeem us from bondage to sins, and only by binding us in God who created us can we overcome our tendency to sin and love others as he loves us. Pastor John Piper is a great teacher. Whoever has a desire to learn more about Jesus, turn in to his sermons (videos) at desiringgod.org. I am writing all of this not out to tell people what they should practice, but out of love for I don't want to keep the blessings all to myself.

March 21, 2012 at 11:29 am |
    • AGuest9

Another example of how religion is used as a crutch.

March 21, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • Lisa Shih

No one can twist your arms and force you to believe. We can share, but it is up to you to accept or not. As Matthew 11: 15: He who has ears, let him hear.

March 21, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • jimtanker

And as it says in Ezikiel:

“All right,” the Lord said. “You may bake your bread with cow dung instead of human dung.”
      –Ezekiel 4:12-15

March 21, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • jimtanker

BTW Lisa,

I watched a few of those videos on that site and they are all the same evangelical garbage to me. When you start with the presupposition that your god exists and that the bible is true and divinely inspired then you have false assumptions. You must first establish your basis for your belief structure and then go from there. You haven’t done that, no one has.

March 21, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • Lisa Shih

Thank you for the exchange. I know we all have our spiritual beliefs and values we hold very dear and I respect your view point and understand where you are coming from. I can only say that I need Him more today than before, for I realize how much more I need to go before I can reach His standards. John Piper said, we cannot run our car with yesterday's gas. I desperately need His continual grace to live a life according to His teachings.

March 21, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • jimtanker

I’m sorry but I CAN’T respect your beliefs because they are not based in reality.

I filled up the tank in my Jeep 3 days ago. Why can you not drive on yesterday’s gas? You make no sense.

March 21, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • Lisa Shih

the gas you have used yesterday. (more accurately put) 🙂

March 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • Lisa Shih

The metaphor is just saying that daily one needs the grace to carry on with their lives. They cannot expect to be saved with God's grace one day and expect to live a sinless life without remaining in Him. Lke the branch to the vine, the branch needs to remain in the vine to get the continual support and nourishment to remain healthy.

March 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • Rationality

You are missing the point. From a Christian perspective, God is not hoping you believe that he exists. He is not looking for such a meaningless affirmation. Satan believes that God exists. That didn't do him any good. God has extended an open invitation for people, of their own free will, to pursue a relationship with him and unite their will with his will. What is God's will? That we love him, and live that love by loving everyone else as we love ourselves. A Christian lives his life knowing that he will fail to do this over and over again, but must get back up and try again. While the process and self awareness is often painful, it also leads to joy.

April 20, 2012 at 8:15 am |
    • Rationality

I spent a day reading through The Iron Chariots website. Here's my take .... Their basic premise is "I won't believe in anything unless it is part of my immediate sensory experience – I give no credibility to anyone else's testimony of their experience, in the present or the past, because they could be crazy or a liar – I can fairly take the teachings of Jesus, ascribe to them the most absurd meaning I can think of, and then fairly conclude the religion irrational.". As far as I could tell, there are only 3 active posters left on that site, all atheists, who now spend their efforts bickering among each other over the trivial and calling each other jerks. For some reason, they did not destroy my faith.

April 21, 2012 at 8:53 am |
  16. White Clouds Forever

Strangely enough, under the terms of "the Bible". Satan is more powerful than God. Satan created original sin, but God doesn't have the power to overturn that situation....we must all strive to rid ourselves of it, by religion. Which could also infer that we, as mere mortals, can fix something that "God" cannot. What's the point of an impotent God like that???

March 18, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
  17. mitch

Bizarre

Are you trying to tell me that Jesus did not exist as an actual historical person. Do you believe that Julius Caesar existed?

March 7, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
    • Bizarre

mitch,

There is no verified evidence for the existence of Jesus outside of the writings of 1st century evangelists. There is certainly no evidence of Jesus' "godhood" outside of the NT.

There is a mountain of hard evidence for the existence of Julius Caesar, but even so, there may be many legends about him which people accept as fact.

And, you know, it doesn't really matter if Julius Caesar existed or not (except to history purists). If any concepts or strategies or ideas attributed to him are proven to be useful to us, fine. It might behoove us to delve into his other ideas to look for additional wisdom, but each idea, strategy, concept or piece of advice must be examined and proven... each and every one.

March 8, 2012 at 12:28 am |
    • mitch

Bizarre,

In my opinion it does matter if Julius Caesar existed since he ways a key figure in Roman politics (negative influence against the idea of a republic and towards dictatorship) from which we gained a lot of our concepts of law and government.

Jesus was actually written about by several Jewish authors (non christian texts) as were his disciples within 100 years of his death. You do not have to agree with him being God, that is faith. But you must reasonably agree that a religion that was so fervently followed that many of his disciples suffered death for its preaching, originated during and immediately following his life.

1000 years from now it would not take a leap of faith to see that Joesph Smith must have existed in order to start the Mormon religion, even if I do not believe in his teachings.

March 8, 2012 at 1:02 am |
    • mitch

“Faith is different from proof; the latter is human, the former is a Gift from God.”

March 8, 2012 at 1:09 am |
    • HotAirAce

Whether or not some dude named jesus actually existed a couple thousand years ago is completely irrelavent because there is absolutely no objective, factual, independent or verifiable evidence for any god. Once believers establish conclusively that any god exists, we can move on to was jesus one of them.

March 20, 2012 at 3:20 am |
    • just sayin

Jesus might have existed liek Joseph Smith. Both were cons

March 20, 2012 at 11:56 am |
  18. Becktemba

Those who think the Bible is a myth or some sort of fairytale have not read it.

March 7, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
    • Bizarre

The Bible is a book which includes *some* history of the primitive Hebrew culture, and *some* good advice for practical, beneficial human behavior, but mostly it is a compilation of ancient Middle Eastern historical fiction, myth, legend, superst.ition and fantasy.

There is not a whit of verified evidence for any of the supernatural beings and supernatural events in that book.

March 7, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
    • tokencode

Those who read it and believe are either gulable, stupid or both.

March 8, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • AGuest9

Have definitely read it. Cover to cover, began annotating it. Have you read the Torah, the Qur'an, the I, Ching as well?

March 21, 2012 at 11:42 am |
  19. Becktemba

Excellent!

March 7, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
  20. Holmes

News flash: God didn't write the bible, nor did Jesus. The bible was written by men to control and, to some degree, comfort people.

March 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • Tom

Well said! The "opiate of the masses" used to yoke early man and keep our race from tearing itself apart.

March 9, 2012 at 12:55 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91
About this blog