home
RSS
Worshipers get tattoos for Lent
March 3rd, 2012

Inking for Jesus: Dozens of church members take Lenten tattoo challenge

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN)-– In a hip, artsy, area of Houston, a hip, artsy pastor is taking an unorthodox approach to Lent.

Standing in front of his congregation at Ecclesia Church, a congregation he admits is different - more diverse, more urban - than many evangelical churches - Chris Seay encouraged them to do so something he said combines the ideas of sacrifice and devotion that mark the Lenten season, the 40-day lead up to Easter.

He asked them to get tattoos. Specifically, he asked congregants to get a tattoo corresponding with one of the Stations of the Cross, the collection of images that depict scenes in Jesus’ journey to his crucifixion.

“The tendency we have as Christians is to skip past Jesus’ suffering,” Seay said in an interview. “Not only do tattoos come with a bit of suffering, they are also an art form that has not fully been embraced.”

To help with the project, Seay enlisted Scott Erickson, artist-in-residence at his church. Erickson designed 10 distinct Stations of the Cross tattoos, leaving out four stations that Seay said changed in context when you are asking someone to get something permanently drawn on their body.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The Stations of the Cross depict Jesus from his condemnation to the Resurrection.

The church is now displaying photographs of the tattoos in the church’s art gallery, in an exhibition called “Cruciformity: Stations on the Skin.”

Initially, Seay has hoped that enough people – 10– would sign up to fill each station of the cross. But his expectations were far exceeded.

Seay says that more than 50 people are now brandishing one of Erickson’s designs on their bodies.

Guadeloupe Rodriguez is among them. When Seay pitched the tattoo idea from the pulpit, Rodriguez’s wife squeezed his hand. “That is what you have been waiting for,” she said.

“I fell into some hard times in my past, hanging out with the wrong crowd … got into some pretty tough drugs,” said Rodriguez, who says he found Jesus at Ecclesia. “My aunt, though, on her deathbed, said to me, ‘You only have one God, one mom and one dad – you need to be straightening up for all three of them.”

Because of that experience, Rodriguez had the churches 10th station image, the resurrection, tattooed to his body. He felt that the two birds holding a suspended banner that read, “Rise Again,” perfectly fit his personal story.

“From the day my aunt said that to me, I relied on the Lord a lot to guide me in the right direction,” Rodriguez said. “I am where I am now because of God.”

Another member of Ecclesia, Joyce O’Connor, channeled her family when she was deciding what station of the cross to get tattooed onto her body. O’Connor, who has one biological child and two stepchildren, connected with the fourth station, Jesus meeting his mother.

“I am a mother and in just a minuscule way can relate to how Mary must have felt,” O’Conner said.

“The tattoo captured me and I love it,” she continued. “When I think of that image, I don’t feel tragedy or sadness because I know how the story ends and it makes me smile.”

This was O’Connor’s first “tat,” and she said this project has exemplified why she came to Ecclesia in the first place - acceptance, out-of-the-box thinking, diversity.

Margaret Feinberg, an evangelical Christian author, spoke at the gallery opening. She said she was taken by the “beautiful blend of art and flesh.”

“I remember standing in a small booth on an upper landing looking at everyone in the room,” Feinberg wrote in an e-mail. People “from every walk of life - exploring and celebrating this time of Lent - the scene took my breath away.”

According to Seay, such experiences deem the project a success. He admits to spending a lot of time dissuading individual congregants from getting tattoos after he announced the idea. People have to “know it is what they are supposed to do,” he said.

The design Seay choose for himself, the resurrection, which shows a tree growing from a coffin, like Rodriguez’s. On Seay’s tattoo, however, the initials of people he loves fill the tree’s leaves and his nickname for his grandfather – Papa – is carved into its stump.

Seay lost his grandfather, Robert Baldwin, last year. Baldwin had been a pastor in the Houston area for 60 years and Seay considered him his mentor. Though Seay still misses him desperately, the tattoo reminds him of a simple biblical message.

“Death,” he says, “comes from life.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Texas • United States

1. i'm not a doctor but i play one on tv

gouting is the least of your problems hippypoet it seems you are rotting away from the inside out.

March 3, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
  2. T. Schulz

The theology is clear here. We are made in God's image; to tattoo or pierce the flesh is a profane defamation of this image. This pastor may as well celebrate Christ by using Oreos for eucharist or having a BBQ on Friday.

March 3, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • mandarax

Yup, you might as well! It would have the exact same effect (none) and it sure would taste better!

March 3, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
    • apostate

If we are made in gods image how come we aren't invisible.

March 4, 2012 at 3:04 am |
    • Lewis Keseberg

Oreos, naturally, can't compare to actually consuming human flesh – its exquisite. So yeah, the comparison doesn't work really well.

March 4, 2012 at 3:12 am |
  3. Nii Croffie

Here are the atheist enjoying themselves in their ignorance of God's Word. And no ignornce here has got nothing to do with Bible verses, textual criticism n theological arguements. Read it in context, meditate n obey then u will understand it.

March 3, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • hippypoet

now i have only quoted the bible one other time – but i BELIEVE this is going to be funny, so a far as i'm concerned – laughter is the best thing for you health wise... in reality by me not posting this i am doing the human race a disservice...here ya go!

killing is condoned and condemned – it just matters who you are and THEN what you did!
      No. 1: The ending of Psalm 137, a psalm which was made into a disco calypso hit by Boney M, is often omitted from readings in church:
      “Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)
      killing isn't only allowed but encouraged!
      No. 2: A command of Moses:
      “Do not allow a sorceress to live.” (Exodus 22:18)
      No. 3: In this verse, Samuel, one of the early leaders of Israel, orders genocide against a neighbouring people:
      “This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

argumemt for the low value of women and reason why they (women) should not have faith in something that doesn't have faith in them!
      No. 4: Another blood-curdling tale from the Book of Judges, where an Israelite man is trapped in a house by a hostile crowd, and sends out his concubine to placate them:
      “So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they rap.ed her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, ‘Get up; let’s go.’ But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.” (Judges 19:25-28)
      No. 5:St Paul’s advice about whether women are allowed to teach men in church:
      “I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

argument for blind stupidity inspired by religion! or just people who believer are stupid – this one is yet to be decided. 🙂
      No. 6: In this story from the Book of Judges, an Israelite leader, Jephthah, makes a rash vow to God, which has to be carried out:
      “And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord, and said, ‘If you will give the Ammonites into my hand, then whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return victorious from the Ammonites, shall be the Lord’s, to be offered up by me as a burnt-offering.’ Then Jephthah came to his home at Mizpah; and there was his daughter coming out to meet him with timbrels and with dancing. She was his only child; he had no son or daughter except her. When he saw her, he tore his clothes, and said, ‘Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low; you have become the cause of great trouble to me. For I have opened my mouth to the Lord, and I cannot take back my vow.’” (Judges 11:30-1, 34-5)
      No. 7: The Lord is speaking to Abraham in this story where God commands him to sacrifice his son:
      ‘Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.’ (Genesis 22:2)
      No. 8: “Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:22)

argument for the hatred, racist, and biased behavior religion condones...often creates where none exist previous! Breeds a veiw of superiority over entire races of people of just a select group of people!
      No. 9: “Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)
      argument for hatred towards random groups of people because another was extremely biased and wrote something down! Inspires hatred, stupidity, and a napoleon complex!
      No. 10: St Paul condemns hom.ose.xuality in the opening chapter of the Book of Romans:
      “In the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with p@ssion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error.” (Romans 1:27)
      No. 11: no foward for this one...just read and enjoy.
      " Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property." (Leviticus 25:44-45)

by posting this i am making myself a hypocrite, however, i never claimed not to be nor did i claim to be above it in the first place!

Meditate on this Nii and all other morons who love their bibles, especially women...as far as i'm concerned, you have to be the dumbest woman ever to even start to believe this sm.ut as it is extremely hateful towards women and commands you to acknowledge your place – you are less then a man and will never be as good because god made it so! remember that!

March 3, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
    • hippypoet

i really do hate qouting such a vile piece of sh!t

March 3, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
    • just sayin

sorry to hear about your gout hippypoet.

March 3, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
    • i'm not a doctor but i play one on tv

That gouting is the least of your symptoms hippypoet it seems you are rotting from the inside, out.

March 3, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
    • hippypoet

i didn't expect any kind of proper argument from any who believe....only poorly thoughtout rationales and excuses!

you fit the bill. 🙂

March 3, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Root post by 'Nii Croffie' contains instances of the ad hominem fallacy, the circ-umstantial ad hominem fallacy, and the Willed Ignorance fallacy.

March 3, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • Scott

“Read it in context, meditate n obey then u will understand it.”

So you’re saying I can’t understand it until I’ve studied it so much that I start obeying it. Isn’t that like the grand dragon saying I can’t truly understand the KKK until I join up and start agreeing with them?

March 3, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
  4. Rick

Reading the responses here amazes me. Most of the loudest comments are from those who claim to be atheists condeming anyone who professes to follow a religion. I would never go to an Atheist Web Site and belittle the people there and push my beliefs onto them. I choose to believe in God and consider myself christian. It is my choice not yours as too what I believe in. I know there are fundamentalists who can be very annoying but I am also seeing that there are Atheists who are every bit as annoying. If you choose to not beleive it is your decision but please don't push your views on me if I don't push my on you.

March 3, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

Rick..Athiests ask only for proof of the stories you claim are true. We are told, as unbelievers, that we will go to hell, be punished, god will get us and so on.And you wonder why we come on here and ask questions, and then point out the fallacies in your logic, and you appear to not offer any evidence to the contrary. Why not .go on atheists web sites there are many about...richard dawkins.net would be a good one. Come over and put your views and evidence to us.. There are lots of discussions going on and .there are far more atheists than you are told

March 3, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@Unevolved: We owe you nothing. Take away Christianity, however, and more than likely you don't exist. I'm not talking about God either, I'm talking about the fact that Christianity opened neighboring state to neighboring state, which allowed people from multiple European countries to meet, mingle, and cross bloodlines. That did NOT exist prior to Christianity in Europe, other than as a consequence of r-a-p-e from conquerer to conquered.

March 3, 2012 at 9:58 pm |
  5. Ungodly Discipline

Fun with NT contradictions

THE TRUTH BEHIND THE PROPHECIES – MATTHEW'S BIG BLUNDER
    Since the prophecies in their original context, did not refer to Jesus, why did Matthew include them in his gospel? There are two possibilities:

1. The church says that the words had a hidden future context as well as the original context, ie, God was keeping very important secrets from His chosen people.

2. Matthew, in his zeal to prove that Jesus was the Messiah, searched the Old Testament for pa.s.sages (sometimes just phrases) that could be construed as messianic prophecies and then created or modified events in Jesus' life to fulfill those "prophecies."

Fortunately for those who really want to know the truth, Matthew made a colossal blunder later in his gospel which leaves no doubt at all as to which of the above possibilities is true. His blunder involves what is known as Jesus' triumphant entry into Jerusalem riding on a donkey (if you believe Mark, Luke or John) or riding on two donkeys (if you believe Matthew). In Matthew 21:1-7, two animals are mentioned in three of the verses, so this cannot be explained away as a copying error. And Matthew has Jesus riding on both animals at the same time, for verse 7 literally says, "on them he sat."
    Why does Matthew have Jesus riding on two donkeys at the same time? Because he misread Zechariah 9:9 which reads in part, "mounted on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a donkey."

Anyone familiar with Old Testament Hebrew would know that the word translated "and" in this pa.s.sage does not indicate another animal but is used in the sense of "even" (which is used in many translations) for emphasis. The Old Testament often uses parallel phrases which refer to the same thing for emphasis, but Matthew was evidently not familiar with this usage. Although the result is rather humorous, it is also very revealing. It demonstrates conclusively that Matthew created events in Jesus' life to fulfill Old Testament prophecies, even if it meant creating an absurd event. Matthew's gospel is full of fulfilled prophecies. Working the way Matthew did, and believing as the church does in "future contexts," any phrase in the Bible could be turned into a fulfilled prophecy!

March 3, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • b4bigbang

Ungodly Discipline, and yet Matthew's native language was Hebrew, he was raised reading the Hebrew Old Testament, but still needs a 21st century guy to correct his understanding of Hebrew.
      And no, he wasn't a Gentile. All the Bible-writers, bot OT and NT were all Jews – yes, even Luke.

March 3, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
  6. hippypoet

ohhhhhhhh, don;t ya love hypocrisy, its the christian way!

March 3, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
  7. Ungodly Discipline

@Jim
    Seriously dude, I need to replace my Blackberry curve. What shoud I get? I like having a physical keyboard.

March 3, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
    • Jim

iPad + Logitech Fold-Up Keyboard.... For smaller devices you're screwed regardless as all options are unsatisfactory. =)

March 3, 2012 at 6:42 pm |

Thanks Jim!

March 3, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
  8. TruthPrevails

Why does it matter what a person imprints on their own body? How exactly does this affect anyone else?
    Who cares what a 2000 year old book says about it...it is not the way things are today and unless a court of law bans tattooing ones own body, no crime is being committed. It really is time to live in the 21st century and mind your own business. If it's not ho.mo.se.xuals you're berating it's women and if it's not women it's Atheists and if it's not that it's the use of birth control. What a pathetic way to live your life! At least as an Atheist I am open-minded enough to understand that what a person does to their own body is their business and as long as no harm comes to another living human as a result, so be it.

March 3, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • captain america

"Liar"prevails is not one of US, it is a butt in canadian whose opinion rates as relevant as dog crap on these blogs sidewalks. Watch where you step fellow citizens there are other useless pieces of canadian crap about as well. There's your sign.

March 3, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
  9. GodsPeople

More fun with Atheist sense of self importance:

You think you matter. You think people care about you.

In reality, nobody can or ever will care about you, because deep down anyone can see how self absorbed and incredibly stupid an atheist actually is. In other words:

Noone cares about you. Nobody will miss any of you when you're dead.

March 3, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • Parables

Parable of the sower is a very good parable.
      Keep sowing the good news in the gospels, he will take care of the rest and judgement belongs to HIM.

March 3, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

Really ass hole? I have a great many friends and family who will miss me when I'm gone!!! You just got through calling us bigots and hateful...look in the mirror-you are the epitome of those words!! It's people like you that make me thank your god I'm an Atheist!! Btw: If your hell does exist, I'd rather be there than spend an eternity with people like you!

March 3, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Love you too GP. Troll or whatever you are.

March 3, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
    • ...

Report abuse on all GodsPeople posts...a real bigot is amongst us!! Horrible example of any good thing good that a christian may represent!

March 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm |

@GodsPeople

I truly hope you, and everybody who thinks like you, believes what you just said... It will make it all the easier when the time comes when we revolt against your misguided beliefs.

March 3, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • *facepalm*

According to @GodsPeople:

Self important thought: I am cosmically insignificant.

Non-self important thought: The creator of the universe loves and cares about me, and I talk with him regularly.

Yeah, nice work troll. If you're going to be such an obvious troll, you could at least try a little harder.

March 4, 2012 at 3:17 am |
  10. Jim

@GodsPeople

You Said:

"@Ungodly Discipline: You j-a-c-k-o-f-f atheists come on here issuing hate, evil, and negativity every blog post every minute of every day. Obviously none of you have jobs, because you're all always here every day."

No, we just have good jobs making lots of money while doing very little work resulting in lots of free time. =) But, seriously, the real reason is that there are MANY more of us out there than you would like to admit..... and we are starting to become increasingly agitated at your kind's shenanigans.

March 3, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

That is actually true GP. I am well educated, I work in tech, I work from home, I make plenty of money and yet I am still a Dem. I consider it my duty to to spread truth over the internet because I can and have some time to do it.

March 3, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • just sayin

UD
      At what point will you be issuing words of Truth?

March 3, 2012 at 6:07 pm |

@Ungodly Discipline

Exactly...

March 3, 2012 at 6:36 pm |

@just sayin

We ALL will respond with the "words of Truth" every time your kind attempts to spew your fallacies.

March 3, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

I am a reporter, not a preacher.

March 3, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
  11. JK

This is such a bad idea in so many ways. One that is probably not already mentioned here: Because tattoos are a result of injecting foreign chemicals into your body, they undermine the immune system, which is a great way to increase the possibility of getting cancer and other diseases. Plus, they are ugly and disfiguring the body is no way to appeal to anything spiritual.

March 3, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

No-one is forcing you to get a tattoo, so how does this affect you?

March 3, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  12. Ungodly Discipline

More fun with NT contraditions

Matthew says that the birth of Jesus and the events following it fulfilled several Old Testament prophecies. Here is another:

The "slaughter of the innocents" (Jeremiah 31:15)

Matthew says that Herod, in an attempt to kill the newborn Messiah, had all the male children two years old and under put to death in Bethlehem and its environs, and that this was in fulfillment of prophecy.

This is a pure invention on Matthew's part. Herod was guilty of many monstrous crimes, including the murder of several members of his own family. However, ancient historians such as Josephus, who delighted in listing Herod's crimes, do not mention what would have been Herod's greatest crime by far. It simply didn't happen.

The context of Jeremiah 31:15 makes it clear that the weeping is for the Israelites about to be taken into exile in Babylon, and has nothing to do with slaughtered children hundreds of years later.

March 3, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
  13. Ungodly Discipline

@Donald

Hey, I like where you are going with that. What if all the atheists (and Agnostics and Solipsists) actually get rewarded by a completely different deity for being smart enough to reject earth-bound religions! And what if we get to choose our paradise!

I would choose a mini put-put golf course where clothes are banned and everyone is hot (and female) and I can create different holes by thinking about them. Single malt scotch is served and the Miami Dolphins win the Super Bowl every year!

March 3, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • Dream on

What if, what if you ended up with one 72 yr old virgin? 😉

March 3, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • Donald

UG-Did you check out paradise valley resort?

March 3, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
    • HeavenSent

You follow satan and he's the only one in scriptures condemned for his evil. You, however, still have a choice. What choice? Love and follow Jesus' truth and spiritually live now on earth, then through eternity with God who created all, or continue following satan's lies, die spiritually while on earth, get to paradise, still reject Jesus, he'll abide in what you want, no eternity for you.

Free will. You choice. Choose wisely and before you decide, figure out who and what those that taught you to hate Jesus truly are. Big egos like yourself are dangerous (easy to stroke), especially since your soul is at stake.

Amen.

March 3, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

It is my paradise, and a 72 year old is like a 20 year old on Earth. We age differently at the Golf Course.

March 3, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

HeavenSent, this is my party and your wrinkly old a.s.s is not invited. The often mentioned but never proven Jesus' Truth can come too if he brings his own condems. Wait, this my paradise! Do what you want JC!!

March 3, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Donald, no what is the Paradise Resort?? (and keep in mind I am a family man, married with 2)

March 3, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

HS: Once again, it is hard to follow something we do not believe in!! Your opinion on what you think we believe in does not matter b/c is a biased opinion based on delusions of grandeur. When you provide the evidence for your god/heaven/hell/satan we will have reason to believe but until then it is no more real than the Easter Bunny.

March 3, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

That was very concise TP. Do you think HS is also GP?

March 3, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • Scott

@HeavenSent:” reject Jesus, he'll abide in what you want, no eternity for you.”

If heaven entails being surrounded by people like you and Nil, I will gladly take the other option.

March 3, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
  14. GodsPeople

I hope you hateful, evil, bigoted atheists enjoy your sojourn in hell.

March 3, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • Jim

"I hope you hateful, evil, bigoted atheists enjoy your sojourn in hell."

Awwww, that's sweet.... Thank You! =)

March 3, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • Donald

For all you know the atheists will end up in paradise with 72 virgins.
      After all, cnn promotes that religion 😉

March 3, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
    • Question

Male or female?

March 3, 2012 at 4:00 pm |

Hey GodsPeople,
      What you just said is so not hateful. Thanks.

March 3, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • Donald

Ungodly what is not there to like. 72 is sizable number.;)
      Question-To be frank s_e_x is to be determined as of now the number and qualifier is all that you need to know.

March 3, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@Jim: thank me when your soul is burning in the lake of fire.

@Donald: not possible. CNN can say anything they want, but in reality, if you don't know God, God will not know you come time for your judgement, and you'll end up in hell. It may LOOK like paradise, but you might be stuck with 70 clay aiken clones.

March 3, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • Jim

@GodsPeople Sounds good... Do you know if the have 4G down there? I'm getting a new phone and can't decide between the iPhone 4s and the Samsung Galaxy II... If they have 4G I'm going Galaxy II for sure. =)

March 3, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

It's your hell, you go there!!

March 3, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • Donald

Oops, clearly somebody is not a clay aiken fan here..

March 3, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@Jim: you're obviously one of the biggest idiots alive. Hell has no data service. Moron.

March 3, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@Donald: Clay Aiken reference stolen from Jeff Dunham (Achmed the Dead Terrorist skit). All I know about him is he sings that godawful country crap.

@truth: it's yours, too. it's also going to be your eternity the way your going.

March 3, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • 1. Take a logic course, and then 2. sign up for a physics course

"I often have to wonder why CNN allows the constant non-stop hate speech against christians. Oh wait, that's right, it's against God and Christ, so therefore it's okay.
      I hope you hateful, evil, bigoted atheists enjoy your sojourn in hell".
      --Thanks but :
      a. Jesus died 2000 years ago, so he has no clue what they are saying,
      b. there is no god, so it doesn't either.

As for the "sojourn" in hell, if you ever took the time to actually THINK about that sentence, you would realize it's ridiculous.
      If, and only IF, there is a spiritual realm, space-time is NOT one of it's dimensions.
      "Soujourn" requires time.
      End of story.

March 3, 2012 at 4:17 pm |

@GodsPeople

You Said:

March 3, 2012 at 4:20 pm |

@GodsPeople

What? That means your question is nonsensical... How am I supposed to thank you from Hell with no freaking service?

March 3, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

@GodsPeople: Provide the evidence that this place you call HELL exists...then you may have a point until then you are the idiot!!

March 3, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I knew you'd get the picture.

Peace to your soul.

Amen.

March 3, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
    • Take a Long Walk off a Short Cliff

@1. See my name.

March 3, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@Truth: Even in the most unjust court of law (one with an atheist judge), the burden of proof lies with the accuser. You are the accuser. You prove it doesn't, simpleton. Until then, keep eating paint chips. f-u-c-k-t-a-r-d

March 3, 2012 at 4:40 pm |

GodsPeople

"@Jim: Actually, you're all one 15 year old troll living in mommy's basement. So no, you don't have jobs. Enjoy hell."

First of all, my mom doesn't even have a basement. Shows what you know. Secondly, if I were 15 years old and did lived in a basement for free... well, that would be pretty awesome, especially if it was finished with a walk-out. But any high school freshman who is residing on an entire floor all to themselves isn't doing to shabby. My point is that you need to put some thought into your insults. Otherwise, you just end up looking stupid. And, if it makes you feel better to think of us as some sort of unemployed low-class citizen, then more power to you. But you and I both know that you are fooling yourself with that assumption...

March 3, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

You're the idiot!! You call us bigots but yet you spew the same hatred...no wonder we hate your type of people...you give christianity a bad name and make us thankful we don't believe. You are the epitome of evil. The burden of proof lies on the one making the god damn claim moron. You say your god exists, I say I want physical evidence for this and until I see that evidence I see no reason to believe...now provide that evidence!! I understand that someone in as deeply as you will never come away from what I believe is a grand delusion and a complete waste of energy, money and time so I'm not even going to bother responding to you any further...I'm not playing childish games with children!

March 3, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
    • TR6

@HeavenSent:”GodsPeople, image all the non-believers on this blog, plus, their cronies ... being on the other side of the divide in paradise.”

How very Christian of you I’m certain Jesus isso proud of you right now.

March 3, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
  15. Jim

It's unfortunate. I am a former Atheist that has now found the way of Jesus Christ. But, when I was an Atheist, I denied the existence of the Holy Spirit so now I can't get into Heaven no matter what... =( So now I'm just going to live the most sinful life possible because, what's the point? I'm going to burn for eternity regardless.

March 3, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • jim

You probably didn't make a very good atheist either.

March 3, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • jim causey

It is unfortunate what you and all others who mock Jesus will have to experience on judgment day.

March 3, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • Jim

@jim causey Well, I heard there was an open bar (bottom shelf only, OF COURSE!) so we'll see how it goes, I'm going to try to make the best of it. Hopefully they have some board games or something too... It's going to be a LONG stay.

March 3, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Amen.

March 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm |

@HeavenSent

"Good try Jim. To date, no one has had the chance to deny the Holy Spirit. As for living it up in sin. Isn't that what you atheists are all about?"

Me, denying the Holy Spirit: I deny the Holy Spirit. Easy, done...
      Atheists living in sin: Obviously not going to bite on this one but I will say that I certainly enjoy some of them... fornicating out of wedlock, for instance.

Amen.

March 3, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
    • johnp

Jim If I understand your statement – you believe you committed the unforgivable sin. But I need to tell you. Now that you have come to a faith in Jesus as you say you have, I trust you asked God to forgive your sins also. When you did that – God forgave all your sins, even that you once denied the Holy Spirit. Do you understand? God cast your sins as far to the east as the west. You Jim ARE a NEW creation in Christ Jesus. You are forgiven! That is tough for many to accept, but I need to tell you that you need to deal with it. YOU ARE FORGIVEN! and if you truly did this – I look forward to meeting you in the Kingdom of Heven.

March 3, 2012 at 4:43 pm |

@johnp

You misspelled heaven.

March 3, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
  16. Rev-Henry Bates

Once again, CNN gives publicity to the most bizarre. For anyone to think that anything other than a change in their measure of faith and belief means anything to G-d, is foolish. This minister, although well intention-ed perhaps, is taking the "tribal" aspect of religion too far and is perpetuating the stories about Jesus, from the truth of Jesus.

March 3, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  17. RightTurnClyde

if you don't know I ain't gonna tell you

Well back in the country in my hometown
    I'm the coolest fastest man around
    I got a hot rod Ford and you oughta see it run

I went out ridin' with a friend of mine
    we started passin' everybody way down the line
    I tell ya boy we was havin' fun
    All a sudden I didn't feel so fine
    cause a highway cop pulled up behind

And I asked my friend if he thought he’s after me
    He just sat there shakin' all over like ol' Elvis Presley and said

Well if you don't know I ain't gonna tell you from now on it's up to you fellow
    Words don't count at a time like this

March 3, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
  18. Ungodly Discipline

More fun with NT contraditions

Matthew says that the birth of Jesus and the events following it fulfilled several Old Testament prophecies. Here is one:

The virgin birth (Isaiah 7:14)

This verse is part of a prophecy that Isaiah relates to King Ahaz regarding the fate of the two kings threatening Judah at that time and the fate of Judah itself. In the original Hebrew, the verse says that a "young woman" will give birth, not a "virgin" which is an entirely different Hebrew word. The young woman became a virgin only when the Hebrew word was mistranslated into Greek.

March 3, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • JM

Ergo: there must not be a God? Just saying something isn't so doesn't make it true.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
      C. S. Lewis

March 3, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

JM, this regarding Christianity, not the existence of a "god". If Christianity is based on the virgin birth of the son of God, who is in fact a miracle and the fleshly manifestation of god, and that actually never happened....then you tell me.

March 3, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
    • Sue

Nor do CSL quotes prove that there is a god. What is very clear and definite is that the bible contradicts itself many, many times, regarding the nature of the Christian god, and on many other subjects. If the bible is a 'reliable' description of the Christian god, then Christian god simply does not exist, partly since it has absurd and contradictory characteristics. (As if that weren't already obvious to anyone with more than half a brain...)

There's probably no god. So get out and live a good life and stop bothering us with your idiotic god nonsense already.

March 3, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Thank you Sue. They just don't get it. We try, we try.

March 3, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Ungodly Discipline, I'll tell you the 2 funniest stories on earth. First story being that you derived from apes (ROTFL) that swung through trees while our ancestors were in the garden, tending it... second story is a big bang, boom, baaaaaaaaaaaa explosion created you (too many Batman and Robin viewers from the 60s buy this). If true, you should look quit the mess. Oh, I'm still laughing over ... that our hair were former scales when we were fishies (too funny).

Amen.

March 3, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
    • Lorax

HS-That was sooo funny.

March 3, 2012 at 4:45 pm |

HeavenSent
      I am dumbfounded at why you enjoy advertising your ignorance and lack of education.

March 3, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
    • Observer

HS seems oddly well-informed in its ignorance. Cultured ignorance?

March 3, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • TR6

@JM:”A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."

I can see the sun, your god is totally undetectable and like all other undetectable things (including vampires, fairies and unicorns) qualifies for the term nonexistant

March 3, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
  19. Still Waiting

Jesus did not exist. Please get over it and move on with your lives.

March 3, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • JM

You do realize that there is actual proof of his existence....right? Archaeological?

March 3, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
    • Jim

@JM I think the part of your comment where you offered examples got cut off... Can you repost?

March 3, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
  20. BL

I'm not a Christian, but I heard about a dude who once who said something like."...judge not, less..." It seemed like good advice, unfortunately I think this guy's original teachings were lost centuries ago.

March 3, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • JM

Amen =>

He also said: love your neighbors as yourself.

March 3, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • HeavenSent

You missed the mark totally with regards to this teaching of Jesus. Jesus' righteousness is truth. When judging a situation it's with Jesus' righteousness, not what man thinks it should be or could be.

Amen.