home
RSS
My Take: Five women in religion to watch
Kecia Ali, Nadia Bolz-Weber, Anthea Butler, Esther Fleece and Karen King are five women to watch for in religion this year
March 5th, 2012

My Take: Five women in religion to watch

Editor's Note: Sarah Sentilles is a scholar of religion and the author of three books, most recently a memoir, "Breaking Up with God: A Love Story." She tweets as @sarahsentilles.

By Sarah Sentilles, Special to CNN

(CNN) - The year 2012 has only just begun and already women are revolutionizing what it looks like to be religious, to study religion and to engage in social change. Here are five women to watch in 2012:

Kecia Ali

Kecia Ali, a feminist scholar who focuses on Islamic jurisprudence and women in early and modern Islam, is one of the organizers of “Muslim Women and the Challenge of Authority,” a conference that will be held at Boston University in March. Participants will be asking crucial questions about who has the right to speak for or about Muslim women, important work at a time when the image of the “veiled Muslim woman” is still being used to prove the supposed inferiority of Muslim cultures and to justify Islamophobia.  Ali is the author of "Sexual Ethics and Islam" and, most recently, "Imam Shafi’i: Scholar and Saint" (2011). Her current research focuses on biographies of Mohammed.  She is an sssociate professor of religion at Boston University.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Nadia Bolz-Weber

Nadia Bolz-Weber is changing what church looks like — and she’s changing what ministers look like while she’s at it. The tattooed founding pastor of House for All Sinners and Saints is a leading voice in the emerging church movement, what people like Diana Butler Bass are calling a new Reformation. Bolz-Weber is committed to the belief that the Bible still matters, that you shouldn’t have to leave parts of yourself behind when you show up at church and that the Lutheran tradition can be revolutionary. The House for All Sinners and Saints is social justice oriented, queer inclusive, incarnational, contemplative, irreverent and progressive. You can even buy a church T-shirt with the slogan “Radical Protestants: Nailing sh*t to the church door since 1517” emblazoned on the back. Bolz-Weber is the author of "Salvation on the Small Screen? 24 Hours of Christian Television." More of her writing can be found in The Christian Century and her own blog, the Sarcastic Lutheran.

Anthea Butler

Anthea Butler models what engaged scholarship looks like in the 21st century. Butler, an associate professor of religious studies and graduate chair in the Department of Religious Studies at the University of Pennsylvania, brings a scholar’s eye to contemporary politics and decodes the work religion is doing in the public square. She’s a regular contributor to Religion Dispatches and a prolific tweeter. Whether she’s discussing politics, popular culture, Pentecostalism or the history of African-American women’s religious lives, Butler demonstrates an unceasing commitment to telling the truth and holding people accountable. Her newest book, "The Gospel According to Sarah: How Sarah Palin's Tea Party Angels are Galvanizing the Religious Right," will be published this summer by the New Press. It explores Palin’s Pentecostal roots and the fervent Christianity of her followers, revealing what Jeff Sharlet calls “a new kind of piety—a ‘supersized’ folk religion that’s part Pentecostalism, part evangelicalism, part Catholicism, and part high heels.” In the meantime, Butler will be tweeting about the presidential election and the pedophilia scandal in the Philadelphia Archdiocese (she tweets as @AntheaButler).

Esther Fleece

The assistant to the president for millennial relations at Focus on the Family, Esther Fleece was hired to bring the so-called “millennials” back to the conservative Christian movement. She has her work cut out for her. Fleece says she has friends who voted for Obama and she also has friends who are gay. Fleece tweets (you can find her @EstherFleece) and blogs about a variety of topics ranging from Tim Tebow’s Christianity (in a recent post at On Faith she compared Tebow to John the Baptist) to why women shouldn’t live with their boyfriends but should rather make them “put a ring on it.” She’s working to redefine what it means to be young and evangelical at a time when conservative Republicans are looking for that particular demographic’s vote. It will be interesting to see just who ends up influencing whom.

Karen King

Karen King is the first woman appointed as the Hollis Professor of Divinity at Harvard Divinity School, the oldest endowed chair in the United States, and she is at work on a book about “martyrdom and its discontents” that rethinks the role of violence in the formation of Christianity. She writes against polarized opinions about religion and violence often heard today — either religion is essentially intolerant and thus naturally given to violence, or religion is essentially peaceful. As a way out of this impasse, King focuses on controversies among early Christians themselves over how to understand and respond to the violence aimed against them. (Full disclosure: King was my professor at Harvard Divinity School and in 2010 we co-convened a Radcliffe seminar, “Christianity and Torture.”) In her books and her lectures, King makes Christianity’s ancient history relevant and revolutionary as she investigates what is at stake and for whom. She is the author of "The Secret Revelation of John; and Revelation of the Unknowable God."

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Sarah Sentilles.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Islam • Lutheran

1. Ungodly Discipline

Have you ever thought about how bizarre the crucifixion story is? Imagine the all-powerful, all-knowing creator of the universe sitting on his magnificent throne in heaven. He looks down onto earth and says to himself:

Those evil humans down on earth. I hate what they are doing. All this sin...

Since I am all-knowing I know exactly what the humans are doing and I understand exactly why they commit each sin. Since I created the humans in my own image and personally programmed human nature into their brains, I am the direct author of all of this sin.

The instant I created them I knew exactly what would happen with every single human being right down to the nanosecond level for all eternity. If I didn't like how it was going to turn out, I could have simply changed them when I created them. And since I am perfect, I know exactly what I am doing.

But ignore all that. I hate all these people doing exactly what I perfectly designed them to do and knew they would do from the moment I created them. I HATE IT! I tried killing all the humans and animals once in the flood. That certainly did not fix the problem.

So here's what I am going to do. I will artificially inseminate a virgin. She will give birth to an incarnated version of me. The humans will eventually crucify and kill the incarnated me.

That, finally, will make me happy. Yes, sending myself down and having the humans crucify me - that will satisfy me. I feel much better now.

March 5, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Reasons why Atheism is TERRIBLE and unhealthy for our children and living things........

† Atheism makes you stupid, ignorant & blind.
      † Atheism is a disease that needs to be treated.
      † Atheism makes you post stupid things.
      † Atheist are satanic and have gothic lifestyle.
      † Atheists causes problem in our religious society.
      † Atheists are mentally ill, that's why they have no faith.
      † Atheism won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise.
      † Atheism making you agree with Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot & other terrible mass murder leaders.
      † No traditional family lifestyle, no holidays, no culture, boring and feeling 'outsider'
      † Atheists are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime.
      † Atheist try to convert people over internet because they feel "safer" behind closet.
      † Atheists do not really exist, they just pretend that they don't believe in God and argue with religious people.
      † Atheists have had terrible life experience, bad childhood and not being loved.
      † Most Atheists are uneducated... No Atheists could run for presidency.
      † Atheism brought upon the French Revolution, one of the most evil events of all of history.
      † Atheism cannot explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists.
      † All atheists believe in evolution, which means they don't believe in morality and think we should all act like animals.
      † The Bible says atheism is wrong, and the Bible is always right (see: Genesis 1:1, Psalms 14:1, Psalms 19:1, Romans 1:19-20)
      † Countries where Atheism is prevalent has the highest Suicide rate!

†† Our Prayers goes to Atheists to be mentally healthy and seek their creator ††

March 5, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
    • Mack

Exclamation point person, I think, frames their dogma pretty well. Run as fast as you can from someone like her/him!!!!

March 5, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
  2. Nii Croffie

Also it is funny that u call someone primitive because of the time period he lived in rather than his mental abilities. What we in our times have is better info storage rather than extra thinking ability. Paul noted the passage u quoted were his opinion 4 Corinth. He worked with female ministers.

March 5, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

You got me there Nii Croffie, you are just as primitive as they were and it is 2012. Thank you for pointing out my error.

March 5, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  3. Ungodly Discipline

I am saddened by all those who cling to religion and continue to endorse it as reality and insist that it somehow should govern morality and law-making. One can lay out all the evidence and build (and have built) an airtight case against every single religion on Earth past and present, but still believers will not budge from their point of view, even when presented with the lies and contradictions in the very scriptures they base their beliefs on.

Understand, I am not talking about a belief in God. I do understand that. I am talking about religion. Every one of which has been empirically proven false but yet clings like moss to ancient rocks.

I believe the single most important factor in this inability to see through the foolishness of religion is fear. Children’s stories of heaven and hell. The initial indoctrination for many, simply cannot be undone.

Secondly, there is a feeling of community that comes with any “club” Naturally this is not relegated to religion so it does not qualify as an excuse.

Finally some minds are unable to think creatively enough to imagine the more plausible alternatives. What are those alternatives? Well we have to turn to science, but also we have to accept what we don’t know and keep looking. And in truth, we don’t really know anything about how the universe came to be, what came before and where it is going. If there are multiple universes and time lines through which we move, these would be marvelous discoveries. There is a wonderful article in Scientific American this month regarding a new spin on the Quantum theory. That being the quantum universe could have foamlike fluctuations that rule spacetime, not unlike the 0’s and 1’s that are the foundation of computing and storing information.

If we wish to believe in the supernatural, we have to make things up. Hence religion. It doesn’t mean there is no god, or gods, or aliens, but it does mean that we don’t have the answers and most likely never will.

Now we arrive back at fear. What will happen to me when I die? For me, I look forward to an eternity of nothing. Others fear this prospect and prefer to believe in fairies and fantasies and are not even ashamed that their mental description of an after life is akin to that of a 5-year-old’s picture book.

I believe the Universe and the “everything” are FAR more bizarre than we could ever imagine with the faculties we have thus far obtained via evolution on this planet. And I wonder how many millions of civilizations across the vastness of space and time have pondered likewise.

Finally, the entire planet is affected by the irrational belief systems of the various mainstream religions. It affects the global economy, it affects world peace, it affects our secular life style in the United States. These ancient belief systems are based on superst.ition and mythology. One would think humans would have moved forward by now but instead we as a species behave in the same self-destructive manner now as we did thousands of years ago with more at stake then at any other time in history. It matters.

Religious people are dangerous fools. Religious leaders far more so.

March 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Ungodly, you must have been an only child? Other siblings would have cured you of your whining.

March 5, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • Bizarre

HeavenSent,

Your siblings must have dropped you on your head one too many times.

March 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • Bizarre

p.s. UD, sorry to distract from your good post.

March 5, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  4. Nii Croffie

Most of the atheists who say they are ex-Christians must note that they were religious or at most pious Christians as such their understanding of the Bible is vastly different from that of spiritual Christians. These understand it better because the Bible is their lifestyle not their Holy Book.

March 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
    • W247

Nii
      Be careful about judging the hearts of others. What may be apparent to you ona surface level, can mask the work that the Lord is doing internally.

March 5, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

You may be referring to another post of mine but here I am pointing out to them that doubt and faith are all part of the spiritual journey we take. I have been all three n its only when I became a spiritual Christian that I became fulfilled. The others r great but weak. I'm also not perfect.

March 5, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  5. JohnR

Kecia Ali wants to decide who has the right to speak about Muslim women. Once a totalitarian religion, always a totalitarian religion, I guess!

March 5, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
    • William Demuth

I guess she wants to unionize the slaves?

March 5, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  6. Ungodly Discipline

Examine God's s.e.xism – why would any woman tolerate Christianity?

If you would like to prove to yourself that God is imaginary, here is one easy way to do it: Look for places in the Bible where God is an absurd, unmitigated jerk instead of the "all-knowing", "all-loving", "fully-enlightened" being that he is supposed to be. The utter contradiction proves that God is imaginary.

There are many parts of the Bible that display these tendencies. However, if you are a woman, the place where God's absurdity becomes completely clear is when you look at God's s.e.xism.

The dictionary defines a misogynist as "One who hates women. It defines the word "s.e.xist" as:

1. Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.
    2. Att.i.t.udes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender

Is God a s.e.xist? Let's look at the evidence. We find this in 1 Corinthians chapter 14:

As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

This seems like a straightforward passage. And God is the one who inspired the Bible. In Isaiah 40:8 God says that the word of the Lord will last forever, and he says the same thing again in 1 Peter 1:24-25. So here we have God, in his eternal and everlasting Word, saying that it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

This quote from 1 Corinthians 11 is important:

But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a woman is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. Any man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonors her head–it is the same as if her head were shaven. For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her wear a veil. For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. (For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.) That is why a woman ought to have a veil on her head, because of the angels.

You may find it hard to believe that something that confusing is in the Bible, yet if you look it up you will find it is there.

Then there is this section from 1 Timothy chapter 2:

Also that women should adorn themselves modestly and sensibly in seemly apparel, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly attire but by good deeds, as befits women who profess religion. Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent.

It is hard to miss God's meaning when he says something as direct as, "I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent."

March 5, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Some one got his "A" for parroting a spiritually dead professor.

March 5, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

You lost me HS, but thanks for not bothering to comment on anything in my post.

March 5, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • HeavenSent

What saddens me Ungodly is that you truly don't have a clue to what any of these passages mean, but, will continue to take scriptures out of context to make your selfish point. The reason women weren't to teach His truth is because man was to take the lead and teach His truth. When man isn't available, women take up the lead. That should tell you something Ungodly. You and your fellow atheists have shirked your responsibility over the years. But, go get that "A" for yourself and forget about teaching righteousness to younger generations. That's why you are clueless. You were so busy learning what college could do for you, you, you ... you forgot that you were to get educated to help, not harm, your fellow humans.

God knew in advance He was dealing with selfish, self centered, self absorbed males Ungodly. You and your fellow atheists have proved it time and time again on these blogs. Those scriptures you mentioned aren't demeaning women, they are telling what males (I'm purposely not calling you a man) are all about.

Amen.

March 5, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

HS, you are as dumb as a stump on a log. Keep cherry pickin' and whatever you do, don't believe your lyin' eyes.

March 5, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • Dave Daubert

ACtually, it was PAUL and not God who said he didn't permit women to speak in church. And that was his way of keeping the Christian message able to connect in a patriarchal system. It was hardly something permanent nor does it rise to the level of the eternal truths you imply the Bible claims for itself by mis-using the Isaiah quote. God's word is much bigger than the Bible and healthy Christians have moved way beyond the biblical literalism that inspires many of the weakest comments on this comment strand. There is a healthy and strong movement within the followers of Jesus to honor the Bible as a starting place for real conversation that includes the voice of a living God. Too many here are willing to dip into their favorite or least favorite verse, quote it as a sign they are right or that scripture is lame, and then jump back out to scream "got ya!" The Bible is where the conversation begins. God gets the FIRST word and invites us into the conversation. The Bible as the last word from God assumes God has been dead and silent for 2000 years – perhaps the greatest of all heresies. God is alive, speaking, and encouraging us to move forward toward the promises to which scripture points. Peace.

March 5, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Thank you for agreeing with me that the bible was in fact written my ignorant, primitive, Middle Eastern men.

March 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

I'll like 2 add that contextual reading n comprehension of de Bible isnt rocket science. All u have 2 do is read de full passage rather than a chapter or verses. U'll understand it. I don't need de direxion of theologians 2 do this. I didn't just go 2 Sunday Sch as a kid. I read, obeyed n understood

March 5, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • momoya

If the bible was god's word it would contain more relevant information.. Believers of all religions use the same chemistry and math because they must; but anyone can believe anything about god and proper worship because there's no method to test the approach for accuracy.. To claim that god is a certain way is to arrogantly put your nonprovable beliefs above the nonprovable beliefs of others, and that's just silly.. If god wanted to be known and worshiped, we humans wouldn't be arguing about it, we'd be following the obvious truth.. If god hasn't provided a way for us to logically verify what he wants, then we shouldn't pretend to know what he wants just because we believe because we believe because we believe because we believe.. It's stupid and we all know it.

March 5, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Ask yourself this simple question: Why, when you read the Bible, are you not left in awe?

Why doesn't a book written by an omniscient being leave you with a sense of wonder and amazement? If you are reading a book written by the all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving creator of the universe, wouldn't you expect to be stunned by the brilliance, the clarity and the wisdom of the author? Would you not expect each new page to intoxicate you with its incredible prose and its spectacular insight? Wouldn't you expect the author to tell us things that scientists have not been able to discover yet?

Yet, when we open the Bible and actually read it, we find it is nothing like that at all. Instead of leaving us in awe, it leaves us dumbfounded by all of the nonsense and backwardness that it contains. If you read what the Bible actually says, you find that the Bible is ridiculous. If we are honest with ourselves, it is obvious that an "all-knowing" God had absolutely nothing to do with this book.

The reason why the Bible contains so much nonsense is because God is imaginary. The Bible is a book written thousands of years ago by primitive middle eastern men. A book that advocates senseless murder, slavery and the oppression of women has no place in our society today.

March 5, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Keep writing and complaining Ungodly, you are unveiling yourself.

March 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Ungodly, LOL. If someone (whether it's a Christian on this blog or one of your professors) don't provide you with an answer, you prove yourself to be the one that gets stumped.

March 5, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • momoya

LOL!!. Way to prove my point.. Instead of addressing any relevant issue, you blather on and on about something that has nothing to do with what anybody was talking about.. The cultural definition was being used as an example; the actual facts aren't part of the discussion and they never were.. It's like a tour guide explaining to you where the restrooms are, and you start explaining that the toilet water swirls "backwards" in the southern hemisphere..

You're mildly more interesting than most trolls.. I give you that.

March 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  7. William Demuth

These women are albino Aunt Tom's, who betray the best interests of their children’s futures in pursuit of personal enrichment.

In particular, the concept of a woman paying lip service to Muslim jurisprudence would be like a Jewish woman testifying to Nazi compassion.

March 5, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Do you mean Aunt Toms in the same way as Uncle Toms?

March 5, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

Sometimes being a scientist renders me incapable of simplifying learning n being a minister does not allow me to simplify truth. Simplified learning is just as good as Showtime @ de Appollo. If u want to publish atheist propaganda know that we'll publish de truth. Hacking my website won't stop me.

March 5, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • William Demuth

What else would I mean

Yes as in Uncle Toms

March 5, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
    • momoya

@ Mark my piddle river

Why not just assume the answer to your question? It's what you're going to do anyway because you're a lying sack of camel j.izz who refuses to deal with issues in favor of semantic ma.ster.ba.tion..

March 5, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
    • William Nilliam

Uncle Time was a real good nig&#103er, William Demuth. It's mighty white of you to remember him here.

March 5, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
    • Over It

momoya,

I'd rather see you bring these 5 (influential?) women up to speed with your thoughts and experience, rather than going after a lone clueless guy from Georgia (Mark).

March 5, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

MOMOYA is a typical example of a pious "Christian" who has lost his faith. According to de Parable of the Good Samaritan, John 3, etc the spiritual man is not necessarily a Christian however he loves all men as himself regardless. Pious n religious also behave in a similar manner regardless of creed

March 5, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>"Yes as in Uncle Toms"

William, in American Literature we covered the story of Uncle Tom and in the story Uncle Tom was told to reveal the location of the Runway slaves. Not only did Tom not give the slave trader the information, while slowly being whipped to death he held long enough for those same slaves to escape.

Uncle Tom died defying his slave masters ..so that other slaves could escape to freedom.

Do you still feel that these women share the noble characteristics with the Uncle Tom character?

March 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • momoya

And Paul Revere didn't do what most people assume, lemmings don't commit suicide, and Betsy Ross didn't make the first flag.

"Uncle Tom" has a cultural definition that has nothing to do with some actual person or event.. If you want to change the cultural definition of the moniker, write a book and hit the college lecture circuit, but don't insist that the cultural definition isn't what it clearly is.. Why don't you deal with the point being made instead of focusing on some detail that nobody cares about?

March 5, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>""Uncle Tom" has a cultural definition"

The cultural definition is incorrect as also your statement that Uncle Tom was "some actual person or event." He was a character that the author wished to portray as a Christ like figure. He forgave his slave owners of their treatment of him because he felt sorry that they had to live and die with the treatment of their slaves resting on their souls.

Along comes the black power movement and they read the opening chapters of Uncle Tom's cabin and read how Tom has sympathy for those who beat him and the other slaves. To these black power folks who were witnessing atrocities at the hands of Jim Crow, the klan and general legestlative law... some did not want to be of the "turn the cheek" nature and to those, such as Martin Luther King who preaced non-violence they began to attach the term "Uncle Tom." Momo, check out George Forman's treatment by these black power folks who felt that during the hight of the Civil Rights struggle, he choose to represent the United States in the Olympics, that he was an Uncle Tom. When he fought Ali, the term Uncle Tom was a slur that they kept using against Forman or any African American that they felt were too close to whites.

I myself was and probably will be called such by such folks until the day I die but it wasn't until I had my American Literature class did I see how wrong such members of my community are. So, I am not trying to change as much as correct and sna'tch from those racist in the African American community such a term because sadly it just shows that they read the first chapters and did not finish the book.

March 5, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>"a lone clueless guy from Georgia (Mark)."

Wow Over It. Why the attack? I am not from Georgia but what brought on the "clueless" part?

March 5, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • momoya

LoL!!. Way to prove my point.. Instead of addressing any relevant issue, you blather on and on about something that has nothing to do with what anybody was talking about.. The cultural definition was being used as an example; the actual facts aren't part of the discussion and they never were.. It's like a tour guide explaining to you where the restrooms are, and you start explaining that the toilet water swirls "backwards" in the southern hemisphere..

You're mildly more interesting than most trolls.. I give you that.

March 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

"...the actual facts aren't part of the discussion and they never were."

Thanks again... I think you have put your foot in your mouth more than all the GOP candidates put together.

I guess, there goes the Atheist facts and reasons arguments...

March 5, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • momoya

How can you be this dumb?? Attempting to correct the cultural definition does not combat the argument supported by the cultural definition used as example.. The very fact that you need to correct the common misconception about "Uncle Tom" means that you recognize that the cultural definition is more prevalent than the facts..

William was using the common cultural conception.. What has your blathering about the "true" Uncle Tom done to advance or rebut the OP?? Nothing.. You're just blathering to blather because you like the sound of your own nonsense buzzing around in your head.

March 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  8. ! ! ! ! ! !

Esther Fleese will be the easiest to watch!

March 5, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
  9. William Demuth

Womens servitude to faith.

Falling for a con run by old men.

How embarrasing for them.

Perhaps they deserve the chains they seem to want to embrace.

March 5, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Is that the same thing as when some say that when a woman dresses provocatively she deserves what ever happens to her?

March 5, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • Sue

I agree with your sentiments there, William. The deserving comes from what support there is from these particular women for religious delusions.

I do cut women more slack than men regarding religion and other superst-tions since women have suffered more at the hands of religion and its zealots than men have, generally, and haven't been as nearly free to escape it. However, religion is (often harmful) delusion, and the less we celebrate its adherents, the better.

March 5, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • William Demuth

Sue

Plus Sue, if we like it or not, woman are the key to breaking the chain.

My mother believed (I suspect only superficialy) but demanded I educate myself and draw my own conclusions.

In truth, the mental slavery is often promoted by the mothers who fail to teach their children critical thinking skills.

A tragedy that so often becomes a travisty. Going along to get along is a vestige of the suppresion from previous generations.

March 5, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>”and the less we celebrate its adherents, the better.”

Sue, if these women and others are doing good works in the Faith is it just because they are of Faith we should not acknowledge their good works.

I have known other African Americans who can not bring themselves to acknowledge the good works in society, of present day White Americans. Their common reasoning is because of past and current actions of other White Americans. It is the sins of the father argument, and of course we see this with many groups in society but can there be a way that we can acknowledge any positive good works of the individuals?

March 5, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • William Demuth

Mark from Middle River

I suppose that depends on the agregiousness of the sins of the father.

Far example, Saddams bouncing baby boys.

Uday and Kousay's accomplishments were ignored because of their complicity with the sinner.

In fact we murdered them for that complicity.

March 5, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

I might be wrong but Saddam's two boys were executed because they executed, ra'ped and other actions of their own duty. If I am correct they killed the suiters of their sisters.

Also, if the crimes of the father were in effect then Raghad, Rana, and Hala would also be executed.

March 5, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • Tom Tom Piper's Son

Too bad your education is not helping you to realise that "travisty" is not a dictionary word. Let me help you coz obviously my education has been trumping yours and everyone else here, it's TRAVESTY, you DOLT! And it describes all your post best.

Oh, sorry! I should been easy on you since we are in the same specie but you know William? Your D' MOOT!

March 5, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
  10. lastofall

There is a reason why it is written: "He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord"; and again, "Let no man glory in men". From any one who understands God at all, knows that speaking great swelling words of vanity are absolutely carnally minded, therefore your boasting and exalting person´s ought to be strictly done under a secular column, because it is made void with God.

March 5, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • Dave Daubert

Scripture is also filled with examples of people thanking people for their work that serves God's purposes. You need only read Paul's letters to see how many times he says, "I give thanks for you..." and then tells the wonderful things that people are doing that make God and Paul happy and thankful. If there is anything consistent in scripture, it is that thanking God is always directed toward caring for people. People are not a distraction from God – they are the object of God's love and desire and therefore should be ours as well. Peace.

March 5, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • Sue

lastofall, how is it that you can claim to understand god, to any degree? What do you base your 'understanding' upon?

March 5, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
  11. Dave Daubert

Sadly, many of the above comments reflect poorly on just about every segment of the church in some way. The intolerance by some, the mocking tone in others, and the indignation that borders on animosity shows through in too much of our discourse. Rush Limbaugh's comments last week were an example of this – but his extremism is simply a worst case example of the need for someone to set a new type of conversation in motion in this country. The women in this post are all doing some great work and the snide comments otherwise are a sad comment, not on the women, but on the comment authors. There are many other excellent things being done by women (and by men) in the church. As for the Bible, it has plenty of things in it that make all of us cringe. But the basic message is actually pretty clear. God loves us and the world that God has made and the incarnation is God's commitment to make that love real. The resurrection is God's persistence in loving even when we reject the lover. Now, if we could all take the love we receive from God and pass it through, the tone of our stuff would become much more helpful! Thanks to the 5 women in this story for your good work (and to anyone else sharing love in Christ's name out there as well).

March 5, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • JohnR

You can CLAIM that the bible all boils down to god's love, but that is an obscene absurdity. From Eden on, god has been all about setting up arbitrary rules and raging like a tyrant when they aren't adhered to 100%, punishing people to the nth generation, committing worldwide genocide himself and then sanctioning genocide by the Jews, allowing his "chosen" people to be clobbered again and again by more powerful empires and then topping it off with a new testament that may start out talking about love, but quickly devolves into the usual broadside denunciations and promises of eternal torment. The book is a disgrace and it is an outrage that people continue to venerate it.

March 5, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
  12. Brad

Nadia Bolz-Weber believes that reformation is ongoing. A dangerous idea, but a badly needed one.

March 5, 2012 at 10:04 am |
    • JohnR

Actually, the REAL continuing reformation includes such matters as the enlightenment and the rise of secular humanism.

March 5, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
    • Brad

Indeed, we can hope that the religious and the non-religious will agree on the issues that make society work.

March 5, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  13. Kim Moore

I believe CNN is hand holding with BP!

Why is that every other news story this morning is available on the CNN site, except for Soledad's morning interview with Dean Blanchard?

Where is at CNN?

Are you hiding it?

Are you hand holding/protecting BP?

Are you afraid/worried you might loose some advertising support funds from BP or what?

This is not my idea of "objective" news reporting!

We The People are sick of MSM hand holding for/with BP !

March 5, 2012 at 9:39 am |
  14. Bo

There are many influential women mentioned in the Bible, some for good, ie. Abigail, Anna (Well there is at lest one good Anna, and one not so good), Deborah, Dorcas (very few woman named in honor of Dorcas, but she was a very good woman) there was Ruth, and Ester to name a few; Mary being a very popular Biblical name. There were some not so good, ie. Delilah, Athaliah, and who would so crule as to name their daughter Herodias or Jezebel? There are women others that are just mentioned without giving a name like Lot’s wife and his daughters.

March 5, 2012 at 9:29 am |
    • hippypoet

what was the womens name who had a room in the wall of a city and let down a rope and let in an invading army? i forget.. :( wasn't that ester?

March 5, 2012 at 9:39 am |
    • Brad

hippypoet- Rahab, I think.

March 5, 2012 at 9:50 am |
    • hippypoet

thank you brad, i checked it and you are correct.

March 5, 2012 at 11:13 am |
    • JohnR

Yeah, hippypoet could use some rehab. Oh wait, I misread that!

March 5, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • Bo

@ Hippy...:You must be thinking of Rahb, but she didn’t let down a rope she let down a rope to let an invading army in, where did you get that idea? She was a harlot and she concealed two Israelite spies, in the return for the safety of herself and her family She put put a scarlet cloth or something scarlet in the window, the Bible says thread, but it had to be larger than a string to be seen, so that they would not be killed. If you study genealogies you will learn that she is one of the two women that are in the genealogy of Jesus who were not a Israelites Ruth was the other, not counting those who were before Jacob who was later named Israel, that is how we get the name Israel[ites].

March 5, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  15. stupid people believe what they don't understand because they don't read, or don't know how - which is worse?

TO WOMEN – GOD HAS NO RESPECT FOR YOU AND COMMANDS MEN TO DO THE SAME....GOD HATES YOU! HE COMMANDS US TO MAKE SLAVES OF YOU!

WHY NOT?

Just some stuff to read that you base your life on. Thought it was important because it's from the Bible.

" Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property." (Leviticus 25:44-45)
    I“So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they rap.ed her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, ‘Get up; let’s go.’ But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.” (Judges 19:25-28)
    St Paul’s advice about whether women are allowed to teach men in church:
    “I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

I HAVE PERMISSION TO KILL YOU FROM HOLIEST OF HOLIES, THE ALMIGHTY G@Y HATER, GOD!

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘ "Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

If you are a woman then i have no respect for you... i Do believe in the Bible, and in God. It's black and white isn't it? The proof is everywhere according to believers becuase supposedly God created everything. How do you argue with that? I pose no argument, instead i will post things that I bet you have never read before that are from the Bible and I will show no care for anyone who says i am wrong doing it. I believe in God as a Christian and my first honor to Christ is to spread the Holy Scriptures as Christ said we should know them!

also...
    I think i will make all of you my slaves. Oh and for any idea on how i will be treating you, refer to the book of Judges. I may be cruel, but you shall love me as God. In the word of God. Praise be to God. And all that mumbo jumbo. Thanks be to me for reminding you that even God hates you. So smile and remember, under his tyranny you will never be free! Quote any part of the Bible you like, it will make no difference. If you believe in God then the history of God is your basis for belief. How can one make claims to without full knowledge of? With full knowledge how is it that any believe unless they already harbor hatred for a great many? Answer – most have never read the Bible. Those who have made one of two choices – ratiionalize it and believe based on interpretations or deny it and not believe. What do you get from this?

March 5, 2012 at 9:20 am |
    • N. Feagan

You talk of people who have not read the Bible or who don't understand what they read. YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT YOURSELF! You have no concept of the true nature of God. You sound more like you are possessed by the devil!

March 5, 2012 at 10:29 am |
    • hippypoet

i liked the end –

"Quote any part of the Bible you like, it will make no difference. If you believe in God then the history of God is your basis for belief. How can one make claims to without full knowledge of? With full knowledge how is it that any believe unless they already harbor hatred for a great many? Answer – most have never read the Bible. Those who have made one of two choices – ratiionalize it and believe based on interpretations or deny it and not believe."

beautifully put and true. I have read the bible from cover to cover many times and i completely agree with this above statement. Nothing is more true then that. "believe based on interpretations" is the way of religion...that can't get more true.

March 5, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • Bo

See reply to Doc Vestibule

March 5, 2012 at 11:54 am |
  16. Doc Vestibule

A good Christian woman should be silent, submissive, subservient and filled with shame for the curse her gender forced on humanity.
    As I Timothy 2:11-14 reminds us, "Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor."

If these women continue to ignore the Lord's command, he will treat them like he did the daughters of Zion in Isaiah 3:18 and take away all their jewelery,fine clothes, makeup, and mirrors. He'll make them bald and rotten smelling before killing all of the men they care about.

March 5, 2012 at 8:01 am |
    • Bootyfunk

yes, thank you for showing how disgusting the bible is. there are many, many more examples of bigotry, hatred and prejudice in that horrifying book.

March 5, 2012 at 8:07 am |
    • captain america

I am reminded of the words of President George H W Bush who said an atheist is not a patriot and should not be considered a citizen of America. If that is how the White House views our home grown atheist, what do you think our opinion is of foreign instigating, lying atheists is? Less than dog sh it comes to mind.Go screw yourself Doc V. There's your sign

March 5, 2012 at 8:44 am |
    • momoya

So no loving your enemies or forgiving them, eh? Yeah no need to follow god's commands when it comes to atheists. :-P

March 5, 2012 at 9:04 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

I am reminded of teh words of President George HW Bush when he said ""Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
      You're doing a great job harming the reputation of your country and your people, Cap'n. Keep it up!

March 5, 2012 at 9:06 am |
    • Brad

Doc Vestibule brings up a useful lesson from our history: that what is contained in the Bible was written by men who were men of their times. There is a continuing need for reformation. There is a continuing need for us to look back and see that we have preserved what is worth keeping and discarded what should be left behind.

March 5, 2012 at 9:21 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Doc, I might not know my scripture fully, but who were the first ones who proclaimed that Christ had risen from the grave?

March 5, 2012 at 9:38 am |
    • TruthPrevails

@CA: It does not matter at what the grand delusional man said, your country is still a secular nation. No changing the consti.tution.

The following pertains more than anything Bush might have said:
      Thomas Jefferson did not believe in the Trinity, and he said so:

"The hocus-pocus phantasm of a God like another Cerberus, with one body and three heads, had its birth and growth in the blood of thousands and thousands of martyrs." - Letter to James Smith, December 8, 1822

"It is too late in the day for men of sincerity to pretend they believe in the Platonic mysticisms that three are one, and one is three; and yet the one is not three, and the three are not one: to divide mankind by a single letter into ["consubstantialists and like-substantialists"]. But this consti.tutes the craft, the power and the profit of the priests. Sweep away their gossamer fabrics of fact.itious religion, and they would catch no more flies. We should all then, like the quakers, live without an order of priests, moralise for ourselves, follow the oracle of conscience, and say nothing about what no man can understand, nor therefore believe; for I suppose belief to be the as.sent of the mind to an intelligible proposition." - Jefferson's Letter to John Adams, August 22, 1813

March 5, 2012 at 9:40 am |
    • momoya

@ Mark my piddle river–you can see it through my pants!

Why do you enjoy being a lying troll? Could you stop if you wanted to, or is it too much a part of who you are at this point?

March 5, 2012 at 9:49 am |
    • Nonimus

@captain america,
      You do not speak for Americans. Take your un-american intolerance elsewhere please.

March 5, 2012 at 10:32 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

so captain america and just sayin are the same little troll. Good to know.

So funny.

March 5, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • Bo

Admittedly there are some things recorded in the Bible that are really difficult if not impossible to understand, and some of the things I just chalk up to the sin(s) of man that have been corrected over time.
      Slavery in the Bible is really puzzling because, although men and women were both slaves, in most cases, at least the Hebrew slaves they seem to have been treated very well, to be sure some slaves were treated harshly.
      Abraham sent his trusted servant (a slave) loaded with riches, some 200 miles to get a wife for his son. He was why would he even return? Joseph was sold into slavery and became the prime minister of Egypt. Judah, Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah. among other young people were captive slaves, but they all served in high positions of the Babylonian Government. Naaman, the Syrian, whose wife had a young girl as a slave and evidently she loved her mistress and master because she advised Naaman to go to Elisha to be cured of leprosy. There are others that can be mentioned; so just what was slavery like in those times? Evidently not what we think of as slavery.
      As to the case of the Levite in the book of Judges ‘shoving’ his concubine out to be r.@p.ed, and also Lot doing the same with his daughters this is incomprehensible for me except that women were looked upon as property which is just as incomprehensible to me.
      In the case of Paul, the same thing was happening right up until relatively recent times. Historically, in most cases, women have long been 'second class’ citizens, sub-servant to men. (Ask almost any woman) Women didn’t teach school until about the middle of the 1700’s and then they only taught in womens schools and it progressed from there. Women were not even allowed to vote until the 1920s.
      But, I’m not going to throw out God just because I don’t understand everything in the Bible, any more than you are willing to throw out some of your beliefs just because you don’t understand everything.

March 5, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • W247

Ephesians 5

yep..sounds like husbands are being told to abuse their wives alright..

March 5, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • captain america

When the leader of the world says atheists are a useless drag on America, I listen. Doc V you are quoting the wrong Bush, try quoting your own. What did lester pearson say when LBJ lifted the canadian pansy runt off the floor by the throat and told him you don't come into my living room and pi ss on the rug. There's your sign

March 5, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • Brad

I believe Nobel Peace Prize winner Lester Pearson described LBJ as "acrimonious" and gave him a second chance.

March 5, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Cap'n
      Johnson was angry that Pearson had the temerity to suggest diplomacy instead of raining death on the Vietnamese.
      Given how the whole Vietnam War (sorry – conflict. I know the US doesn't like to admit losing any wars) worked out, I'd say that history has vindicated Pearson.

March 5, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

A lesson for Captain Ass oops I mean America:
      You fail to understand the importance of our countries to one another, so here are the basics...not that I expect you to grasp this given your level of intellect but the point must be made-your country needs us and we need you-your voice is not going to change that thankfully...

Relations between Canada and the United States have spanned more than two centuries. This includes a shared British colonial heritage, warfare during the 1770s and 1812, and the eventual development of one of the most stable and mutually-beneficial international relationships in the modern world. Each is the other's chief economic partner and large-scale tourism and migration between the two nations has increased rapport. The most serious breach in the relationship was the War of 1812, which saw an American invasion of then British North America and counter-invasions from British-Canadian forces. The border was demilitarized after the war and, apart from minor raids, has remained peaceful. Military collaboration began during World War II and continued throughout the Cold War on both a bilateral basis through NORAD and through multilateral participation in NATO. A high volume of trade and migration between the United States and Canada has generated closer ties, especially after the signing of the Canada – United States Free Trade Agreement in 1988.
      Canada and the United States are currently the world's largest trading partners, share the world's longest border, and have significant interoperability within the defence sphere. Recent difficulties have included repeated trade disputes, environmental concerns, Canadian concern for the future of oil exports, and issues of illegal immigration and the threat of terrorism.[citation needed] Nevertheless, trade between the two countries has continued to expand in both absolute and relative terms for the last two hundred years, but especially following the 1988 FTA and the subsequent signing of NAFTA of 1994 which has since further merged the two economies.

March 5, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

Btw: CA, Bush was not a world leader...he was only the president of the USA. We don't have world leaders, only leaders of our countries and sadly for yours Bush was a horrible example...between him and his son he dragged your butts to the double 'A' credit rating it is at today!

March 5, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • michelle t

Except that 1 Tim wasn't actually written by Paul but by someone writing under his name.

March 6, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
  17. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes thngs

March 5, 2012 at 6:50 am |
    • Bootyfunk

going out and making a difference changes things; prayer is a waste of time.

March 5, 2012 at 8:03 am |
    • Jesus

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs.

March 5, 2012 at 8:36 am |
    • just sayin

Don't study studies , studies have been proven false weeks ago, study God

March 5, 2012 at 8:45 am |
    • Jesus

"studies have been proven false weeks ago'

Lying is a sin and nothing was proven wrong. Nice try idiot.

March 5, 2012 at 8:48 am |
    • just sayin

To him who takes the Lords name in vain, you can be wrong if you want to be. Sorry about you, God will judge. We will be in prayer with God, changing lives and circ umstances enjoy your "studies" God bless.

March 5, 2012 at 9:02 am |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
      Proven

March 5, 2012 at 9:03 am |
    • Jesus

"Prayer changes things
      Proven"

What's been proven is that you are a liar, over and over again.

March 5, 2012 at 10:50 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

just sayin is captain america.

And a troll.

March 5, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • just sayin

Two can agree and share info. Most atheists all use the same tired old scam, there must be just one of them.

March 5, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
      Proven
      Powerful

March 5, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • PIP

crap

March 5, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Nice try, liar. You are a troll using both names. You forgot and messed up. Idiot.

March 5, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • Anonymous

What you post can change.

March 5, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • Tom Tom Piper's Son

just sayin is captain america.

And a troll.

I knew it! Where at the same band together, I'm the lead vocalist. We do the WAKA WAKA!

March 5, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
  18. Kebos

All this article tells me is that women can be as self-delusion as men when it comes to matters of religion. Big deal. I suppose it is somewhat noteworthy that women can be so supportive to such an oppression that religion has women. In which case I would be wary of their motives.

If these women are trying to revolutionize religion to make it irrelevant then they have my full support.

March 5, 2012 at 6:37 am |
    • W247

As a Christian woman, I feel anything but oppressed. I feel sorry for those people that misunderstand the relationship that God has intended husbands and wives to have.

Ephesians 5:
      25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing[b] her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”[c]

March 5, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • TruthPrevails

@W247: You can have that without the god portion attached. My relationship is wonderful and we're both happy, fun-loving Atheists. We put 'us' first and have tremendous amount of respect for each other. There is nothing we don't tell each other and there is not much we won't do for each other. A strong relationship is built on communication.

March 5, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • Kebos

My point exactly. One can have a wonderful relationship and life with family and spouse, all without religion.

March 5, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
  19. Nii Croffie

The main thing about Christianity is its emphasis on loving your neighbor as yourself. I hope that more heroines who are doing this are featured. Joyce Meyer is one such woman and I hope others follow her example. Mother Teresa is gone n we need replacements. Ladies take up the challenge. LOVE.

March 5, 2012 at 6:34 am |
    • Kebos

Religion is not needed to be compassionate and caring towards all other things living.

March 5, 2012 at 6:38 am |
    • Nii Croffie

Of course it isn't. Though the Bible is a helpful book toward achieving this objective in John 3 Jesus said it wasn't the only way to achieve spirituality. My post was meant to encourage Xtian women but if u find it helpful be encouraged too. Religions must foster spirituality or they r unhelpful.

March 5, 2012 at 7:25 am |
    • Bootyfunk

sadly, love is not the main emphasis of the bible. fear and guilt are the pillars on which christianity stands. Humanism offers a better set of ethics than the bible's bronze age morals.

March 5, 2012 at 8:05 am |
    • catholic engineer

@kebos Of course religion is not necessary to live a good, moral life. But any codes worth living by are going to look a lot like the Ten Commandments and the Sermon on the Mount. Yes, people can live good moral lives without religion, but will they?

March 5, 2012 at 9:25 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No. The question is: do they? And the answer is yes, they do. There are millions upon millions of people who aren't religious and still live moral, productive, healthy, and happy lives.

March 5, 2012 at 10:43 am |
    • Nonimus

@Nii Croffie,
      Just FYI from the BBB entry on Joyce Meyers Ministries, Inc. (JMM) {http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/religious/joyce-meyer-ministries-in-fenton-mo-3113}:

Governance

Chief Executive : Joyce Meyer, President
      Compensation*:

Chair of the Board: Joyce Meyer
      Chair's Profession / Business Affiliation: President, Joyce Meyer Ministries

Board Size: 12

Paid Staff Size:

*2009 compensation includes annual salary and, if applicable, benefit plans, expense accounts, and other allowances. JMM declined to provide the Alliance with compensation information.

March 5, 2012 at 11:01 am |
    • Nii Croffie

BF I'll not hesitate 2 say that fear n guilt cant b de pillar of de Bible. The Bible is unique among all human learning in that if studied based on any no. of premises it will give a false answer. However de premise which ties in all parts best is CHARITABLE LOVE based on de 2 great love commands.

March 5, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I wish you would hesitate to say...anything.

March 5, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • Kebos

@catholic engineer – The Ten Commandments....really? These are so obviously written by men to control men and women. Please, give me something a bit better than that. George Carlin quickly whittled the 10 down to 2 ina 5 minute piece he did some years ago.

March 5, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
  20. ed

Seriously. A feminist, an emergant church blasphemer, a Tebow fan, and a historian are the best the church has to offer anymore. Christianity will get what is deserves. Come Lord Jesus come.

March 5, 2012 at 4:17 am |
    • W247

Ed – what is it about "Love thy Neighbor as thyself" are you not understanding here?

March 5, 2012 at 11:56 am |